PDA

View Full Version : Bucky Waters: On the Mend

devildeac
04-23-2020, 12:28 PM
Great news here in the Raleigh News and Observer a couple days ago:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article242144776.html

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or put this post in the "Transfer" thread based on the opening paragraph of the article:

"Bucky Waters’ aortic valve went into the transfer portal last week, which sent the Where’s Waldo of the ACC into the hospital at an inauspicious time to be in the hospital. After a new minimally invasive replacement procedure to replace the valve and implant what Waters calls a “shot clock” — a pacemaker — the former N.C. State player, Duke coach and ESPN broadcaster is back on his feet."

(bolded/underline mine)

:o;)

budwom
04-23-2020, 12:39 PM
Great news here in the Raleigh News and Observer a couple days ago:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article242144776.html

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or put this post in the "Transfer" thread based on the opening paragraph of the article:

"Bucky Waters’ aortic valve went into the transfer portal last week, which sent the Where’s Waldo of the ACC into the hospital at an inauspicious time to be in the hospital. After a new minimally invasive replacement procedure to replace the valve and implant what Waters calls a “shot clock” — a pacemaker — the former N.C. State player, Duke coach and ESPN broadcaster is back on his feet."

(bolded/underline mine)

Bucky can always be found on the hoop broadcasts from Durham...during one of his last games there, he was quite clearly having a pretty solid nap...hopefully a new valve perks him up...Bucky has had quite the resurrection since his dismal coaching tenure, and has enjoyed quite the career at Duke...even some of his former players with whom he did not get along (to say the least) consider him, in the words of one of them, "fully rehabilitated." Good for the Buckster!
(His former assistant, Hubie Brown, is another guy prospering into his eighties)...

CameronBornAndBred
04-23-2020, 01:02 PM
Bucky can always be found on the hoop broadcasts from Durham...during one of his last games there, he was quite clearly having a pretty solid nap...hopefully a new valve perks him up...Bucky has had quite the resurrection since his dismal coaching tenure, and has enjoyed quite the career at Duke...even some of his former players with whom he did not get along (to say the least) consider him, in the words of one of them, "fully rehabilitated." Good for the Buckster!
(His former assistant, Hubie Brown, is another guy prospering into his eighties)...

That's a well earned nap! Every time I've been to a game this past season, Bucky was below us on the floor, and usually standing for at least 3/4 of it. That impressed me to no end.

Jim3k
04-23-2020, 11:05 PM
the former N.C. State player, Duke coach and ESPN broadcaster is back on his feet."

...and former freshman PE instructor--who taught me a lesson: If you say naughty words on his field of play, particularly since the instructor is also the ref, you will end up running laps.

It's all good...when he was head coach, he brought the team to Vegas. During the shootaround, he recognized me in the stands and came over to talk. [In fairness, we had talked many times during my four years at Duke, since I was a gym rat.] I liked him very much.

I wish him well.

sagegrouse
04-23-2020, 11:17 PM
...and former freshman PE instructor--who taught me a lesson: If you say naughty words on his field of play, particularly since the instructor is also the ref, you will end up running laps.

It's all good...when he was head coach, he brought the team to Vegas. During the shootaround, he recognized me in the stands and came over to talk. [In fairness, we had talked many times during my four years at Duke, since I was a gym rat.] I liked him very much.

I wish him well.

He was my boxing instructor freshman year. He has always been friendly and cordial to me.

Indoor66
04-24-2020, 08:23 AM
Bucky has always been a cordial gentleman. I wish him well and am glad to hear he is recovering. He is a fixture at Duke.

budwom
04-24-2020, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure that there has been ANY fired coach in the country who went on to have as long and successful a career at the same school as Bucky...it's been what, 47 years or so? Amazing...

4Gen
04-24-2020, 09:09 AM
During the 71-72 season, somebody in my dorm (Mirecourt) invited Bucky to come speak to us. He agreed. I think about 20 of us attended. I don't remember anything especially memorable about the occasion, but, darn, he actually showed up.

Green Wave Dukie
04-24-2020, 02:00 PM
I just found out this past Tuesday that his daughter Linda was my daughter's kindergarten teacher in 2001 when we lived in Tampa.

I'll add that Bucky's daughter was a wonderful woman and a wonderful teacher. In fact, she made such a huge impact in my young daughter's life that it was then that she began a life-long love of learning. And now 19 years later is an elementary school teacher herself, due in large part to the impact Linda had on my daughter. 2001 was 4 years before we moved to North Carolina and our whole household became Duke fans. During that year, and the next 4 we were at that school together, I had no idea who her father was.

Thankful he seems to be recovering well.

chrishoke
04-24-2020, 02:40 PM
Bucky has always been a cordial gentleman. I wish him well and am glad to hear he is recovering. He is a fixture at Duke.

I often see him at Duke athletic events. He couldn't be more pleasant, cordial as you say, and typically shares an interesting/funny anecdote. Be well Bucky.

jv001
04-25-2020, 09:17 AM
Bucky seems like a man that loves Duke University and a man that loves life. He has a contagious smile on his face every time I see him. Glad he's doing well.

GoDuke!