PDA

View Full Version : NBA's One-and-Done Rule May Stay

DavidBenAkiva
04-20-2020, 10:59 AM
I hadn't seen this posted on the boards yet and thought it would help to get the conversation kicked off. CBS (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-wont-eliminate-one-and-done-rule-any-time-soon-with-discussions-stalled-over-one-key-issue-per-report/) has a recap of a podcast featuring ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowksi that a key element of the NBA draft process has stalled discussions on ending the one-and-done rule. Th

A lot of us believed a year ago, 18 months ago, that the NBA and the player's association would come to an agreement on ending the one-and-done -- they would set a date in the future, but we thought it would be 2022, 2023 when high school players would be able to go back in the draft. That has not happened. It is not on the horizon, largely because the union and the league, as part of letting the high school players back into the draft, the league has wanted players to have to make available their physicals and medical evaluations to all teams ... The union, backed very hard by the agents, had said, 'That's not something we're gonna give in on. We're not going to give you full access medically. That's the one advantage that we feel we have as agents and players to control the process.'

That's been the major sticking point for a couple of years now. And there's a real strong possibility that the one-and-done conversation isn't picked up again until the next collective bargaining agreement in 2025.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-20-2020, 11:09 AM
I hadn't seen this posted on the boards yet and thought it would help to get the conversation kicked off. CBS (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-wont-eliminate-one-and-done-rule-any-time-soon-with-discussions-stalled-over-one-key-issue-per-report/) has a recap of a podcast featuring ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowksi that a key element of the NBA draft process has stalled discussions on ending the one-and-done rule. Th

Again, a reminder that none of the NBA entities gives a rip about the NCAA. College basketball is at the whim and fancy if the big money league.

I don't mean this in any negative way, but as a reminder that there is zero level of cooperation between the two that doesn't benefit the NBA.

MarkD83
04-20-2020, 11:20 AM
I forget how many years the one-and-done rule has been in place, but players have figured out ways around it....reclassifying, playing overseas....

Even now I wonder if playing in the G-league counts as a work around.

If we then look at players who do attend college for one year, they could still leave after one (or two years) so even if the NBA eliminates this rule would it even matter.

Troublemaker
04-20-2020, 11:22 AM
I'm glad that I was always skeptical about the OAD rule going away. Neither the owners nor the players want it to go away enough, which makes a deal tough. (In the case of the owners, they probably like the rule.)

With that said, the new G-league salary and development setup for elite high-schoolers will probably remove ~5 players a class from college basketball, anyway. They just wouldn't be part of an NBA draft immediately, which would be the case if OAD went away.

SupaDave
04-20-2020, 01:28 PM
I forget how many years the one-and-done rule has been in place, but players have figured out ways around it...reclassifying, playing overseas...

Even now I wonder if playing in the G-league counts as a work around.

If we then look at players who do attend college for one year, they could still leave after one (or two years) so even if the NBA eliminates this rule would it even matter.

G-league work around: Not sure of the intricate details, but once you're in the G-league you're basically immediately eligible to be called up by the team that owns the rights to that team. The two-way contract has been working relatively well the last 5 years or so, giving us gems like Lance, Curry and Trent Jr. - and that's just from a Duke standpoint.

DavidBenAkiva
04-20-2020, 02:09 PM
G-league work around: Not sure of the intricate details, but once you're in the G-league you're basically immediately eligible to be called up by the team that owns the rights to that team. The two-way contract has been working relatively well the last 5 years or so, giving us gems like Lance, Curry and Trent Jr. - and that's just from a Duke standpoint.

The problem with this is that it means the NBA team that owns the G-League now has exclusive rights to players right out of high school. That's the reason for the Select Team; it belongs to no specific NBA team with the players maintaining their eligibility for the draft.

JasonEvans
04-20-2020, 02:56 PM
I hadn't seen this posted on the boards yet...

There's been a good bit of discussion about it in the past 48 hours in the G-League thread (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?45189-NBA-Establishes-G-League-Select-Team-for-Top-HS-Prospects). As has been noted in that thread, it appears one of the major motivations in creating this new G-League select team for high schoolers is the recognition that OAD would not be going away any time soon.

fraggler
04-21-2020, 10:51 AM

I don't recall any of your listed guys being to 2 way contracts. Trent was taken in the 2nd round but got a guaranteed deal. He did play some in the G league, but he didn't start there. Lance and Curry did play their way from the G league into some 10 day contracts and eventually regular ones, but pretty sure their ascendance was pretty 2 way contracts.

CDu
04-21-2020, 11:51 AM
I don't recall any of your listed guys being to 2 way contracts. Trent was taken in the 2nd round but got a guaranteed deal. He did play some in the G league, but he didn't start there. Lance and Curry did play their way from the G league into some 10 day contracts and eventually regular ones, but pretty sure their ascendance was pretty 2 way contracts.

You are correct. Two-way contracts only became a thing in 2017, so only 3 seasons of two-way deals.
- Trent was drafted and given a 3 year guaranteed contract. He has spent time in the G-League, but on an NBA contract.
- Thomas signed a 4-year guaranteed contract in 2016, so never was eligible for a two-way deal.
- Curry signed a 2-year deal in 2016, and then a 4-year deal in 2018, so he has never been on a two-way contract.

I think the confusion lies in distinguishing "playing in the G-League" from the "playing on a 2-way contract." Or perhaps distinguishing between a "2-way contract" and a 10-day contract (10-day contracts are what Curry and Thomas and Quinn Cook have utilized to make it to NBA regular-dom).

Duval, Marshall Plumlee (his second contract, not his original Knicks deal), and Jefferson have been on two-way contracts, but I think those are it for Duke players on two-way contracts so far.

SupaDave
04-21-2020, 12:20 PM
You are correct. Two-way contracts only became a thing in 2017, so only 3 seasons of two-way deals.
- Trent was drafted and given a 3 year guaranteed contract. He has spent time in the G-League, but on an NBA contract.
- Thomas signed a 4-year guaranteed contract in 2016, so never was eligible for a two-way deal.
- Curry signed a 2-year deal in 2016, and then a 4-year deal in 2018, so he has never been on a two-way contract.

I think the confusion lies in distinguishing "playing in the G-League" from the "playing on a 2-way contract." Or perhaps distinguishing between a "2-way contract" and a 10-day contract (10-day contracts are what Curry and Thomas and Quinn Cook have utilized to make it to NBA regular-dom).

Duval, Marshall Plumlee (his second contract, not his original Knicks deal), and Jefferson have been on two-way contracts, but I think those are it for Duke players on two-way contracts so far.

Yes - all in the vernacular. I’m simply referring to players who played in both leagues and not their actual contract situations.