PDA

View Full Version : Duke GOAT Blocks

kako
04-17-2020, 04:04 PM
With @DukeMBB holding the GOAT contest for Duke dunks, it got me thinking about other Duke GOATs. How about blocks? Off the top of my head, I can cite 2:

1. Zion v. UVA, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dzXCT7Sy-s

2. Dawkins v. Notre Dame, 1986

Video in next post...

I seriously doubt there has been a more athletic block than Zion's. It's hard to express more about it in words. But Dawkins' block sealed the last second win against the Irish. The crowd went crazy after that. And it was his 2nd heroic last second act in a row. He hit 2 FTs against State with almost no time remaining to beat the Pack in the previous game. IIRC, those two game pushed Dawkins even higher into legendary status (anyone remember the Chronicle's Monday Monday column after that? Johnny Dawkins, Johnny Dawkins, rock me Johnny Dawkins... set to Falco's Amadeus?

Anyway, there are probably more dunks. The Landlord had so many, he must have had some I can't remember right now...

9F

kako
04-17-2020, 04:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1VM6d-7qws

Here's Dawkins' block on Rivers.

9F

CDu
04-17-2020, 04:08 PM
Battier's chase-down of Forte at UNC.

Battier's block against Woods in the NCAA title game.

rsvman
04-17-2020, 04:11 PM
I kind of liked Derryk Thornton's block at the end of the UNC game in Chapel Hill...the game in which we only had 6 players or something like that (can't remember the specifics). Anyway, it was an improbable win, and it was sealed by Thornton's block.

Found the video. It was a deflection of Joel Berry, one-on-one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R49cav0hbE0

chrishoke
04-17-2020, 04:12 PM
Battier's block of Juan Dixon's layup to seal the OT win at Maryland in the gone in 60 seconds game.

chrishoke
04-17-2020, 04:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1VM6d-7qws

Here's Dawkins' block on Rivers.

9F

I can still hear Al McGuire saying "All ball... all ball."

devildeac
04-17-2020, 04:23 PM
In the top 5, maybe top 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHmYGKa09x8

What'd Shane say afterwards, something like "chasing down a gazelle."

MarkD83
04-17-2020, 04:30 PM
Zion's block is even better given his quote after the game "Coach said no threes"....

superdave
04-17-2020, 04:37 PM
In the top 5, maybe top 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHmYGKa09x8

What'd Shane say afterwards, something like "chasing down a gazelle."

I was in the Dean Dome for this one. It was pretty cool to see the air go out of the stadium.

Battier morphed into something else that season. He knew what Maryland was running when they called the play. He made amazing defensive plays without fouling. That was such a fun season.

DU82
04-17-2020, 04:56 PM
I was in the Dean Dome for this one. It was pretty cool to see the air go out of the stadium.

Battier morphed into something else that season. He knew what Maryland was running when they called the play. He made amazing defensive plays without fouling. That was such a fun season.

The cheater crowd first thought that Shane pushed/fouled Forte, which is why he missed the shot and fell. Tipping the ball so Forte hit the rim with it was the reason. Had a great time in the DESSAC that afternoon!

I remember the game at (I believe) Clemson his freshman season, and I noticed he was allowed to essentially freelance on D. The only other person I saw given that "right" was Grant in his senior year. Shane got it from the start.

devildeac
04-17-2020, 06:28 PM
The cheater crowd first thought that Shane pushed/fouled Forte, which is why he missed the shot and fell. Tipping the ball so Forte hit the rim with it was the reason. Had a great time in the DESSAC that afternoon!

I remember the game at (I believe) Clemson his freshman season, and I noticed he was allowed to essentially freelance on D. The only other person I saw given that "right" was Grant in his senior year. Shane got it from the start.

What'd K reportedly say to Shane when we were down 22 to merlin in the 2001 NCAAT National Semi-final game? Something like, "Just run around and make plays!"

ranantha1
04-17-2020, 07:05 PM
because it led to a Dunleavy 3.

jimsumner
04-18-2020, 04:42 PM
1978 NCAA East Region semifinals, Duke versus Pennsylvania.

Penn has Duke on ropes in second half. They spread the floor, looking for opportunities to attack.

Not once, not twice but three times in a row a Penn ball-handler takes the ball inside and gets rejected by Mike Gminski.

This sparks a Duke comeback.

None of these was a high-style-point kind of block. But for sheer impact they have to rank right up there with anything.

Let me also throw in a word for Robert Brickey against Jeff Lebo in Chapel Hill at the buzzer in 1988 to preserve a 70-69 Duke win.

chrishoke
04-18-2020, 05:39 PM

Penn has Duke on ropes in second half. They spread the floor, looking for opportunities to attack.

Not once, not twice but three times in a row a Penn ball-handler takes the ball inside and gets rejected by Mike Gminski.

None of these was a high-style-point kind of block. But for sheer impact they have to rank right up there with anything.

Let me also throw in a word for Robert Brickey against Jeff Lebo in Chapel Hill at the buzzer in 1988 to preserve a 70-69 Duke win.

Good stuff Jim. Those G-man blocks were crucial.

Another thought, hard to believe that the Landlord didn't have a memorable block or two.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-18-2020, 08:10 PM
Antonio Lang vs. Arkansas in 1994 would have easily been #1 - if only...

BD80
04-18-2020, 09:54 PM
I don't remember any great "Dick Groat Blocks"

Nevermind.

arnie
04-18-2020, 09:55 PM

Yes, the Gminski blocks may have changed the course of Duke B-ball. Without, we likely lose that game, don’t make the Championship game and not nearly as hyped in 1979. Will never know how the hype impacted that year and Bill Foster’s career goals. Does he stay at Duke longer and K goes elsewhere?

The Brickey block led to the triple crown on a night my future Duke fan nephew was born😀

jimsumner
04-18-2020, 10:18 PM
Going deep into the wayback machine here. 1968, Duke Indoor Stadium, Duke versus North Carolina.

Third overtime. North Carolina up 84-83, with ball. Final minute or so. No three-point shot, no shot clock, plenty of Four Corners.

Duke desperately needs a stop. Carolina's 6-11 Rusty Clark gets the ball inside and moves for the kill shot. Deep reserve Fred Lind, in the game only because star Mike Lewis had fouled out, comes out of nowhere to block Clark's shot. Duke gets ball, Lind scores to give Duke the lead and Duke holds on for 87-86 upset win.

I so wish this was on You Tube. Arguably the greatest Duke-Carolina game ever.

pfrduke
04-18-2020, 11:45 PM
Harry Giles on Justin Jackson in the 2017 ACCT semis, with bonus points because he followed it with an emphatic alley-oop on the other end.

AZLA
04-19-2020, 02:03 PM
Battier wins, but honorable mention is the block G Henderson put on Tyler Hansbrough at the end of a game at UNC. In lieu of getting all ball — he got all noggin — which effectively concluded THs ability to continue trying to run up the score in a blowout and sent the message to UNC that you may win, but you may never disrespect Duke. Something like that.

DieHard
04-19-2020, 03:20 PM
ACC Tournament. End of the game vs Maryland and going down to the last seconds. Sanders is under the basket and jumps up to protect the rim. Ends up putting his fingers through the net and through the rim and blocking/altering a shot. No replay at the time and officials did not call it, but TV slowed it down and showed it should have been goal tending. Duke wins a tight one.

Sort of like the Jeter homerun against the Orioles when Jeffrey Maier caught the ball over the fence, and Yankees won.

I will always remember the Dawkins block because it was the second day in a row he won the game in the last seconds. The day before he was fouled on a long shot in the corner vs NCSU in the final seconds (I was at that game with my future brother in law and we still argue about if Dawkins was fouled). Hits the free throws and Duke wins. Next day he blocks David Rivers in final seconds, and Duke wins.

If we go to altered shots, Zoubeck on Hayward in the National Title.

jimsumner
04-19-2020, 04:50 PM
1980, Rupp Arena, Sweet Sixteen.

Duke leads Kentucky 55-54, seconds left, season on the line. Kentucky ball. They put it in the hands of star guard Kyle Macy. Vince Taylor gets enough of the ball to cause a miss and Duke advances, unfortunately to an Elite Eight loss to Purdue.

Not much of a block. But enough of one to win the game.

chrishoke
04-19-2020, 04:53 PM
ACC Tournament. End of the game vs Maryland and going down to the last seconds. Sanders is under the basket and jumps up to protect the rim. Ends up putting his fingers through the net and through the rim and blocking/altering a shot. No replay at the time and officials did not call it, but TV slowed it down and showed it should have been goal tending. Duke wins a tight one.

Sort of like the Jeter homerun against the Orioles when Jeffrey Maier caught the ball over the fence, and Yankees won.

I will always remember the Dawkins block because it was the second day in a row he won the game in the last seconds. The day before he was fouled on a long shot in the corner vs NCSU in the final seconds (I was at that game with my future brother in law and we still argue about if Dawkins was fouled). Hits the free throws and Duke wins. Next day he blocks David Rivers in final seconds, and Duke wins.

If we go to altered shots, Zoubeck on Hayward in the National Title.

I was lucky enough to attend both games, Saturday night at NCS in Reynolds (my boss gave me his tickets) and Sunday afternoon in Cameron. So awesome! Tobacco Road heaven!

HH89
04-20-2020, 09:30 AM
I feel like there should be a memorable Justice Winslow block. Maybe I’m just thinking about his sick tip in at the Carrier Dome.

Lurkingdukedog
04-20-2020, 10:04 AM
I feel like there should be a memorable Justice Winslow block. Maybe I’m just thinking about his sick tip in at the Carrier Dome.

I would also expect some memorable blocks from Elton Brand and the Plumlees brothers, too

jaytoc
04-20-2020, 02:14 PM
I have a somewhat vague recollection of Henderson stuffing Alonzo Mourning in a Regional semi or final in the late 80's. Quite remarkable and inspirational, and in view of the size disparity and Hoya's intimidation rep, that has to be up there in my top two or three. Or is the Alzheimers kicking in again?

AustinDevil
04-20-2020, 02:20 PM

I mean, I haven't forgotten that play, but I don't think it belongs on a list of great Duke blocks.

jimsumner
04-20-2020, 07:34 PM
I have a somewhat vague recollection of Henderson stuffing Alonzo Mourning in a Regional semi or final in the late 80's. Quite remarkable and inspirational, and in view of the size disparity and Hoya's intimidation rep, that has to be up there in my top two or three. Or is the Alzheimers kicking in again?

I don't remember the play. But the boxscore of that game--1989 East Region title game--shows Henderson with one block.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-20-2020, 07:51 PM
I don't remember the play. But the boxscore of that game--1989 East Region title game--shows Henderson with one block.

I'm guessing he is referring to the dunk (which I consider to be one of the two or three best in Duke history) rather than a block.

Truth&Justise
04-21-2020, 10:09 AM
Battier's block of Juan Dixon's layup to seal the OT win at Maryland in the gone in 60 seconds game.

Found video. A little grainy, and recommend you start around 2:10 of this video (when Shane is taking a free throw with 16.4 seconds left), but it's just perfect defense.

https://youtu.be/wIbdTvcnuso?t=130

Truth&Justise
04-21-2020, 10:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYI05Sy7sME

Not at a pivotal moment (blowout during the first game of the season) but an emphatic display that put the country on notice.

jaytoc
04-21-2020, 12:51 PM
I'm guessing he is referring to the dunk (which I consider to be one of the two or three best in Duke history) rather than a block.

Yes, I think you're correct, and thanks for keeping me honest. I did say the memory was hazy, though. Just a bit hazier than I thought.

Neals384
04-22-2020, 05:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYI05Sy7sME

Not at a pivotal moment (blowout during the first game of the season) but an emphatic display that put the country on notice.

what a nice memory!

cspan37421
04-22-2020, 05:45 PM

Depends on what you mean by stuffing. Henderson dunked over Mourning. You're right on the amazeballs factor due to size disparity and Hoyas' rep.

It's easily found on Youtube, but I'm not including it here because this thread is about blocks. And Zo missed that one! :D

cato
04-22-2020, 06:34 PM
Depends on what you mean by stuffing. Henderson dunked over Mourning. You're right on the amazeballs factor due to size disparity and Hoyas' rep.

It's easily found on Youtube, but I'm not including it here because this thread is about blocks. And Zo missed that one! :D

You just provided the tie-in: one of the greatest blocks in Duke history is the one that Zo could not make.