PDA

View Full Version : Worst 80s Song

colchar
11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Although every decade has had its share of lousy songs/music, I think we can all agree that the 80s hold the distinction of being the worst of the lot. So I was wondering, what would everyone vote for as the worst tune of the 80s? You know the one – the song that makes you want to puncture your eardrums with a screwdriver the instant you hear it. Or, if you can’t name just one, give us your top three.

hurleyfor3
11-08-2007, 04:32 PM
"In the Air Tonight," Phil Collins or Genesis or whatever

Edit: Oh, you meant this to be a poll. I don't think I've heard a few of those songs since the 1980s, and songs are annoying only if people play them.

hc5duke
11-08-2007, 04:42 PM
"In the Air Tonight," Phil Collins or Genesis or whatever

If by worst you mean the best, then yes I agree :)

colchar
11-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Edit: Oh, you meant this to be a poll. I don't think I've heard a few of those songs since the 1980s, and songs are annoying only if people play them.

I was adding a poll but everyone is free to list their own choices as well.

aimo
11-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I actually like all those songs. What can I say? I was 13 in 1983.

I vote for Mr. Roboto.

EarlJam
11-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I gotta admit, I loved me some Tears for Fears and Shout. Then one guy left, and they became only Fears.........or Tears.

I went with Eye of the Tiger. I think I used to sort of kind of like that song too but I heard it the other day and wow. Cheese. Plus, it was Survivor and they sucked.

-EarlJam, who will now await a post from a former member of Survivor calling me a douchebag.

hc5duke
11-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Can I nominate a fictional 80s song?

Robin Sparkles - Let's Go to the Mall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mJAsgIIfNM)

Marshall: This is the 90s, why does it look like 1986?
Robin: The 80s didn't come to Canada 'til like '93.

colchar
11-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Can I nominate a fictional 80s song?

Robin Sparkles - Let's Go to the Mall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mJAsgIIfNM)

Marshall: This is the 90s, why does it look like 1986?
Robin: The 80s didn't come to Canada 'til like '93.

I should've added some Debbie Gibson to the poll. I could also have added anything by Tiffany.

EarlJam
11-08-2007, 05:10 PM
I know we could all add to the list of candidates for worst 80s song, but I just HAD to throw this one out there. It's stuck in my head now. Damn you Colchar!

"Wake my up, before you Go Go! I'm not hanging on a lively yo-yo!"

"It's cold outside, but it's warm in bed, let's stay home, and eat some molded bread!"

Or something like that.

WHAM. Wake me up before you Go-Go.

Lordy have mercy on my ying yang.

-EarlJam

hurleyfor3
11-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I couldn't stand any of the cheese metal bands, but I realize others disagree.

I should've added some Debbie Gibson to the poll. I could also have added anything by Tiffany.

Debbie was merely bland (but certainly talented; I think she still acts). Tiffany was downright gawd-awful, however. If I were to have stepped on our family cat's tail in those days, the result would have been far more melodious than anything Tiffany could put out.

EarlJam
11-08-2007, 05:17 PM
I couldn't stand any of the cheese metal bands, but I realize others disagree.

Debbie was merely bland (but certainly talented; I think she still acts). Tiffany was downright gawd-awful, however.

I do not believe Survivor is even good enough to be labeled a cheesy metal band. They were something in-between a pop band and a hard rock band. Kind of like Loverboy, though Loverboy was better, but not by much.

Did I just give Loverboy some credit? What the hell?

-EarlJam

hurleyfor3
11-08-2007, 05:20 PM
I do not believe Survivor is even good enough to be labeled a cheesy metal band. They were something in-between a pop band and a hard rock band. Kind of like Loverboy, though Loverboy was better, but not by much.

-EarlJam

Nah, the cheese-metal period was like 1987-91, then Nirvana and Pearl Jam ;) saved us.

Loverboy at least kicked the crap out of REO Speedwagon.

EarlJam
11-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Nah, the cheese-metal period was like 1987-91, then Nirvana and Pearl Jam ;) saved us.

Agreed. REO Suckwagon.

-EarlJam

hurleyfor3
11-08-2007, 05:27 PM
REO Speedwagon is apparently still around and has a Web site. I'm deathly afraid to look at it, however, because I'm at work and don't want to have some crappy soft-rock 80s song playing on my computer. :eek:

EDIT: Speaking of the 80s, I just became Quin Snyder. Beats being Dee Snider.

colchar
11-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Yes you did. I'm guessing you got some interesting reponses in your home narcotics thread and have been sampling the results.

colchar
11-08-2007, 05:40 PM

There was nothing good about grunge, especially Nirvana.

Oh c'mon. You're picking Loverboy over cheesy 80s power-ballads?

micah75
11-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Don't worry, be happy.

I remember quitting a job around that time, being in transition, and spending a few months doing temp work before landing another one. What a joke.

colchar
11-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Speaking of the 80s, I just became Quin Snyder. Beats being Dee Snider.

But I'm betting Dee had more fun than Quin!!!

colchar
11-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Don't worry, be happy.

I hate you for reminding me of that song.

Lavabe
11-08-2007, 05:45 PM
TUSK straddles the 1979/1980 continuum.

MUCH more disturbing is the lack of reference to:
Flock of Seagulls: I Ran
Men Without Hats: Safety Dance
Rick Springfield: Jesse's Girl
Men At Work: ANYTHING they did

I went with Survivor.

Sorry for the rant. I have to Wang Chung tonight! Guess I'll wear my sunglasses at night.
Cheers,
Lavabe

colchar
11-08-2007, 05:50 PM
TUSK straddles the 1979/1980 continuum.

I went with Survivor.

Sorry for the rant. I have to Wang Chung tonight! Guess I'll wear my sunglasses at night.
Cheers,
Lavabe

The poll was just included for fun as I was more interested in everyone's personal choices. But yeah, the ones you named sure did suck. To paraphrase Homer, those bands are the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked.

hc5duke
11-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Or as they are both known as now, Men without Jobs...:D

colchar
11-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Or as they are both known as now, Men without Jobs...:D

If only they had been out of work during the 80s as well.

Bostondevil
11-08-2007, 07:25 PM
IMHO the 70's sucked a lot more than the '80s, a lot, but if you're going to talk about all time sucky '80s songs, why not the really sucky stuff from Poison or Warrent or any of those other hair metal bands, I'll put Bon Jovi in there too just because teenagers who weren't even born voted 'Livin on a Prayer' as the song that most says '80s. Um, no, not even close.

The two biggest selling albums from the 1970's were Frampton Comes Alive and the soundtrack from Saturday Night Fever. In the '80s we had Thriller, which despite future weirdness by the artist, is a great pop album.

I want you ou ou to show me the way, every day now.

And c'mon, every now and then you break out into a little safety dance, admit it.

throatybeard
11-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Mickey.

And I like most of those 80s songs.

colchar
11-08-2007, 07:42 PM
IMHO the 70's sucked a lot more than the '80s,

No way. The 70s, despite that whole disco thing, gave us some great stuff from Zeppelin, the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Stones, etc.

if you're going to talk about all time sucky '80s songs, why not the really sucky stuff from Poison or Warrent or any of those other hair metal bands, I'll put Bon Jovi in there too

Personally I love metal and thought the 80s hair bands were kind of fun.

The two biggest selling albums from the 1970's were Frampton Comes Alive

Frampton Comes Alive was a great album.

And c'mon, every now and then you break out into a little safety dance, admit it.

Not in this lifetime.

colchar
11-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Mickey.

I'd forgotten all about that abomination.

Mal
11-08-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm shocked no one has yet mentioned what's been justifiably named Worst. Song. Evah. by numerous publications: "We Built This City."

Possibly the song that drives me to irrational rage more than any other from the '80s is that "Mexican Radio" song. I don't know if that means "worst" but it's gotta be up there. I don't even know who exposed us to that travesty.

Was "We Didn't Start The Fire" late '80s or '90s? 'Cause it's atrocious.

I don't think Men at Work were all that bad. Cheesy, yes. Terrible songs? Not to my mind.

Also, I agree with colchar - Bostondevil's insane. There was some bad stuff in the '70s, as in any decade, but on balance it's outweighed by a lot of brilliant music that pushed the art forward. The '80s was full of some of the most cynical, overproduced, money-inspired crap ever known to music. Commercial pop radio ruled the world. It was a decade of musical devolution, other than in the emergence of punk.

micah75
11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
At the risk of the being the odd guy out here, although TUSK was absolutely abominable, FWM's 2 albums in the mid-70's ruled. You had to be there. Right up there with The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Bread, LZ, PF.... FWM was the "anti-disco" and most everyone loved them. At. The. Time. 30 years later, that may be another story altogether. But like I said, you had to be there. They were hot, hot, hot. Never heard nary a negative word about them until that awful Tusk came out, around 1980. Couldn't believe that piece of trash they did. What a backslide.

jimbonelson
11-08-2007, 08:19 PM
how can anybody say bon jovi sucks did they not have a number 1 cd just this year

throatybeard
11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
All of y'all need to watch VH1's (circa 2003) special on the top 50 most awesomely bad songs ever.

captmojo
11-08-2007, 10:00 PM
how can anybody say bon jovi sucks did they not have a number 1 cd just this year

Sorry Jim, but sales are no indication of good or bad. People will always have a taste for crap. For example-Carolina fans.

Oh Mickey, you're so fine..........NO

I love Mickey
Mickey who?
You know who
The fella with the celebrated swing.

Lavabe
11-08-2007, 10:05 PM
The poll was just included for fun as I was more interested in everyone's personal choices. But yeah, the ones you named sure did suck. To paraphrase Homer, those bands are the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked.

The next tier includes:
Total Eclipse of the Heart
Bette Davis Eyes :eek:
Raspberry Beret (the single WORST Prince song)
Rock me Amadeus :eek:
Falco's Puttin' on the Ritz
ANYTHING by Michael Bolton
Der Komissar
One Night in Bangkok :eek:

That should make a few people hurl.

My future's so bright, I've got to wear shades. Relax!!
Cheers,
Lavabe

Udaman
11-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Anything by Miami Sound Machine (come on shake your body baby do the conga, ugghh).

Last Christmas by Wham not only is one of the worst songs of the 80's, it is by far the worst Christmas song ever recorded.

Then there's a litany of songs I remember from Crazy Zack's back in the 80's (Do You Want to Ride My Mercedes Boy, Ride, Ride might have been the worst, but others were Never Gonna Give You Up, Shattered Dreams, Electric Blue...basically 1988 really sucked )

Note that We Built This City can't be included in this because they refuse to compete in amateur competitions like this one.

hc5duke
11-09-2007, 12:03 AM
The next tier includes:
Rock me Amadeus :eek:

awesome songs... :p

JBDuke
11-09-2007, 12:27 AM
A couple of my personal "faves":

Billy Ocean - Get Into My Car
Eddie Murphy - Party All the Time
Lionel Richie - Dancing on the Ceiling
Milli Vanilli - Girl You Know It's True
The Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)

and ANYTHING by Michael Bolton

edensquad
11-09-2007, 12:43 AM
"All Out of Love" by Air Supply.... (or anything by them).

But, Billy Ocean??? Man, that was a pretty cool record... I think it was written & produced by Mutt Lange, (Shania Twain's hubby), fwiw.... and, so were those Def Leppard records... but, I digress...:cool:

pfrduke
11-09-2007, 01:11 AM
I know we could all add to the list of candidates for worst 80s song, but I just HAD to throw this one out there. It's stuck in my head now. Damn you Colchar!

"Wake my up, before you Go Go! I'm not hanging on a lively yo-yo!"

"It's cold outside, but it's warm in bed, let's stay home, and eat some molded bread!"

Or something like that.

WHAM. Wake me up before you Go-Go.

Lordy have mercy on my ying yang.

-EarlJam

How dare you disparage Wham!

My vote in the poll goes to Jefferson Starship and "We Built This City."

DevilAlumna
11-09-2007, 01:33 AM

The next tier includes:
Bette Davis Eyes
Rock me Amadeus
Der Komissar
One Night in Bangkok

Wha?!?! I love nearly all of those songs! I object to the inclusion of most of the songs in colchar's poll as well.

My version of musical hell in the 80's was my brother's obsession with AC/DC. Thank goodness neither of us were into Madonna and her material girl phase.

Oh, and Earljam, REO Speedwagon left you a message on the Lacrosse board, saying they couldn't fight the feeling anymore, you *are* a d-bag, but they're gonna keep on loving you. Thought you'd want to know.

Lavabe
11-09-2007, 03:09 AM
Wha?!?! I love nearly all of those songs! I object to the inclusion of most of the songs in colchar's poll as well.

My version of musical hell in the 80's was my brother's obsession with AC/DC. Thank goodness neither of us were into Madonna and her material girl phase.

Sure. I'm sure you loved Murray Head's "One Night in Bangkok." :rolleyes:

I'll cede one point: the Eddie Murphy "Buckwheat" version of Bette Davis Eyes is classic SNL.
IIRC, the actor/vocalist hits figure into the VH-1 list mentioned earlier: Don Johnson's "Heartbeat," Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time," and Bruce Willis' "Respect Yourself?" On the other hand, I guess it's better than the 70's TELLY SAVALAS cover of Bread's "If" (see YouTube).:eek:

DA: Since you can explain my second tier, please explain the following:
Dexy's Midnight Runners: Come on Eileen? I NEVER figured out DMR's success.
The Mary Jane Girls?
WHAT was Robert Plant doing with the Honeydrippers?
Katrina and the Waves' "Walkin' on Sunshine?" HUH?
Juice Newton? :eek:

She's blinding me with science!
Cheers,
Lavabe

Shammrog
11-09-2007, 05:00 AM
I gotta admit, I loved me some Tears for Fears and Shout. Then one guy left, and they became only Fears.........or Tears.

I went with Eye of the Tiger. I think I used to sort of kind of like that song too but I heard it the other day and wow. Cheese. Plus, it was Survivor and they sucked.

-EarlJam, who will now await a post from a former member of Survivor calling me a douchebag.

DOUCHEBAG!

Lavabe
11-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Would love to see a Shammrog reference on the Survivor Wiki or uncyclopedia page.

You realize that you now must change your avatar to match the cover of "Eye of the Tiger" record.

Please ... ANY reason to switch from the young Hillary Clinton.
Cheers,
Lavabe

aimo
11-09-2007, 08:26 AM

Falco did Rock Me I'm a Dumbass. Taco did Puttin' on the Ritz.
And I love those songs, as well as One Night in Bangkok.

To me, the best song out of the 80's was Burnin' Down the House by the Talking Heads.

willywoody
11-09-2007, 08:27 AM
where's starship's we built this city on rock n roll? or maybe you didn't want a runaway winner?

Bostondevil
11-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Also, I agree with colchar - Bostondevil's insane. There was some bad stuff in the '70s, as in any decade, but on balance it's outweighed by a lot of brilliant music that pushed the art forward. The '80s was full of some of the most cynical, overproduced, money-inspired crap ever known to music. Commercial pop radio ruled the world. It was a decade of musical devolution, other than in the emergence of punk.

Why thank you Mal. If you tell me you like Neil Young, I'll return the favor, you have to be bonkers to like that man's singing voice although I'll admit some of his songs are great. Just please never make me listen to him singing them.

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here Come the Sex Pistols- 1977. I think of punk as the '70s saving grace. That and Elvis Costello, My Aim is True -also 1977. But they weren't exactly mainstream and my comments about suckage refer to the mainstream.

colchar listed some bands that were early '70s, not enough to carry you through the decade. As far as the Stones are concerned, in the '70s they recorded Beast of Burden, not the worst song ever but certainly not the Stones at their best.

Let's think about what you were hearing on the radio in the '70s
You Light Up My Life, Jive Talkin', Disco Duck, Love Will Keep Us Together, Silly Love Songs, to name a few.

I'll also admit my view is probably colored by the fact I was in college in the 80s and I think the music from your college years will always sound better. But just in case you still want to think of me as insane, I own the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever but not Frampton Comes Alive.

And as I said in another thread, Safety Dance was stolen from Violet in A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Jfrosh
11-09-2007, 10:12 AM
As soon as I saw the title of the thread I thought 99 Luftballons before even seeing the poll, so I have to go with that. But my god so many good (bad) choices.

Ping Lin
11-09-2007, 10:31 AM
...man, this thread makes me feel old. I confess a lot of the songs mentioned on both the poll and in the replies are guilty pleasures. Heck, at least all those songs have a discernible melody and chord progression, which is more than can be said for much of what's playing on the radio today. And I claim that a lot of powerful music was being made then (Police, U2, Springsteen) which prevents the decade from being the worst. Still...

As a boy growing up in the 80s, I admit Ashford and Simpson's "Solid As a Rock" still makes my hair curl and thus gets my vote.

But just about any of the mindless teen candy pop sensations at the time (New Kids on the Block, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, Sheila E) -- egad.

EarlJam
11-09-2007, 10:45 AM
But just about any of the mindless teen candy pop sensations at the time (New Kids on the Block, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, Sheila E) -- egad.

For the past ten minutes since I read this, I've had "Lost in Your Eyes" playing in my head. Not that I know the lyrics. I don't. I swear. I SWEAR!

But the tune and the chorus. This sucks. Must......get.....new tune.....in.....head.

-EeaarrllJjaamm

DevilAlumna
11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Sure. I'm sure you loved Murray Head's "One Night in Bangkok." :rolleyes:

DA: Since you can explain my second tier, please explain the following:
Dexy's Midnight Runners: Come on Eileen? I NEVER figured out DMR's success.
The Mary Jane Girls?
Katrina and the Waves' "Walkin' on Sunshine?" HUH?
Juice Newton? :eek:

She's blinding me with science!

ONIB - yes, I really do like that song. I have a version with a great symphonic opening, the whole thing is like 8 min. long. Did you know that Tim Rice wrote the lyrics?

Come on Eileen - best drunken dance song evah. The Scottish college kids go MAD when that comes on in the clubs.

Honeydrippers -- Hey, I like Plant's voice when he's mellow. IIRC, he's got a new album out with Allison Krause -- probably a good combo.

Walking on Sunshine -- 2nd best drunken dance song. How can you *not* like the happy pop of it all? (Plus, a good friend sang the lead for Lady Blue's rendition.)

Juice Newton -- okay, I'll give ya that one.

And Thomas Dolby -- that was one trippy video. Back when MTV played videos.

greybeard
11-09-2007, 11:17 AM
For the past ten minutes since I read this, I've had "Lost in Your Eyes" playing in my head. Not that I know the lyrics. I don't. I swear. I SWEAR!

But the tune and the chorus. This sucks. Must......get.....new tune.....in.....head.

-EeaarrllJjaamm

Or a new head, whichever comes first, eh? "what have they done to my brain, Ma, what have they done to my brain . . . ." Was that from the 80's? It should have been; then I'd know a few words from one freakin song from that entire decade.

Don't get old, my droogy, droogs, don't ever get old!

Mal
11-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Alright, game on, Bostondevil! I didn't seriously mean you're crazy, of course, just tweaking. I'm not a huge fan of Neil Young's voice, or Dylan's post-early years voice, but I've grown used to them.

I think of punk as being born in the late '70s and emerging into the mainstream a bit in the '80s. Whatever - they can both have it, but if you're giving it to the '70s, I think that only helps my argument. ;)

I don't disagree with your named songs from the '70s. However, I think the '80s had both (a) a higher sheer volume of awful songs and albums foisted on the public (we could go back and forth all day submitting lists, but I have a gut feeling you'd run out first), and (b) a lower volume of "great" music. You mention disco, but that was a fad of a couple years. The entire decade of the '80s seemed to be dominated by corporate driven one hit wonders. Witness Eddie Murphy and Patrick Swayze being in the charts. Witness Ray Parker, Jr.

The '70s, despite the disco craze, started with Zeppelin III and Zoso, Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers, Let It Be, After The Gold Rush, Moondance and Who's Next, proceeded through Dark Side of The Moon, What's Going On, Blood on The Tracks, Houses of The Holy, Paul Simon, Songs in The Key of Life and Pink Moon, and eventually ended with The Clash, Rumours, My Aim Is True and Fear of Music. All albums that have succeeded both commercially and critically, and are still staples today.

The albums of the '80s that have stood the test of time, by contrast, seem pretty few and far between: Synchronicity, Graceland, Murmur, The Queen Is Dead, Joshua Tree, Purple Rain, Thriller, Appetite for Destruction. I'm sure I'm missing some, but to my mind there was a dearth of great bands or artists producing their best work in the '80s.

JasonEvans
11-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I actually like all those songs. What can I say? I was 13 in 1983.

I vote for Mr. Roboto.

I second that!!!

Personally, I like several of these songs especially including Tainted Love.

JasonEvans
11-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Falco did Rock Me I'm a Dumbass. Taco did Puttin' on the Ritz.
And I love those songs, as well as One Night in Bangkok.

Wait, Falco and Taco are not the same person. No waaaay!!

http://www.mattietaco.com/_images/to2.jpg which is which? http://www.nndb.com/people/621/000095336/falco-sm.jpg

-Jason

greybeard
11-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Hey, I actually know a couple. My fav, "Totem," Gabrial Roth and the Mirrors; no words, they are completely unnecessary.

camion
11-09-2007, 01:08 PM
The one that makes me switch stations the fastest is:

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up

colchar
11-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm shocked no one has yet mentioned what's been justifiably named Worst. Song. Evah. by numerous publications: "We Built This City."

Personally I've spent a lot of time in therapy attempting to block out all memories of that song.

colchar
11-09-2007, 01:13 PM
At the risk of the being the odd guy out here, although TUSK was absolutely abominable, FWM's 2 albums in the mid-70's ruled. You had to be there. Right up there with The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Bread, LZ, PF.... FWM was the "anti-disco" and most everyone loved them. At. The. Time. 30 years later, that may be another story altogether. But like I said, you had to be there. They were hot, hot, hot. Never heard nary a negative word about them until that awful Tusk came out, around 1980. Couldn't believe that piece of trash they did. What a backslide.

I love Fleetwood Mac. Always have. Always will.

I do agree that Tusk sucked though.

colchar
11-09-2007, 01:14 PM
The next tier includes:
Bette Davis Eyes

I swear I was listening to both of those as I started this thread.

Rock me Amadeus
Der Komissar
One Night in Bangkok

Yes, those did make me hurl.

colchar
11-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I'll cede one point: the Eddie Murphy "Buckwheat" version of Bette Davis Eyes is classic SNL.

I've never seen that. My life will not be complete until I do.

I thought they were a good vehicle for getting Plant back out there after the break-up of Zeppelin. While Sea of Love sucked I still think Rockin' at Midnight was a great track for Plant's style of singing.

colchar
11-09-2007, 01:29 PM
where's starship's we built this city on rock n roll? or maybe you didn't want a runaway winner?

See my other post regarding that song. I've been in therapy trying to block that from my memory. And I pray to the Gods of Rock every single day that nobody ever covers that song.

colchar
11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Let's think about what you were hearing on the radio in the '70s
You Light Up My Life, Jive Talkin', Disco Duck, Love Will Keep Us Together, Silly Love Songs, to name a few.

All of those sucked but, in the 70s, we also had the Almman Brothers releasing everything from Idelwild South to Enlightened Rogues. We also had Skynyrd releasing their entire catalogue. And Zeppelin released everything from Led Zeppelin III to In Through the Out Door. The Stones also released everything from Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out to Some Girls. The Who released everything from Live at Leeds to Who Are You.

All of the albums released by those bands during the 70s are enough to make it the greatest decade for rock music ever.

Bostondevil
11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Witness Ray Parker, Jr.

Oh man, now you've done it! Kitschy? Yes. Silly? Definitely. But Ghostbusters is one heckuva pop song. From the moment I heard it over the closing credits I knew that song was going to be a hit.

but I have a gut feeling you'd run out first

I don't know, how many songs did Three Dog Night record?

ETA:

All of the albums released by those bands during the 70s are enough to make it the greatest decade for rock music ever.

The key word here being rock. So we can both be right (and noone is insane ;-) ) '80s Pop far exceeds '70s Pop and vice versa for classic rock. Plus I can't help pointing out that if maybe some of those guys hadn't, you know, died, they might have kept making music into the '80s.

lmb
11-09-2007, 01:46 PM
I think this was early 80's....
The Pina Colada song sucks and seems to have made a resurgence on a lot of radio stations lately.

Other nominees:

Elvira
Arthur's Theme
Hungry Eyes
Let's Hear It For the Boy (complete w/note that only dogs can hear)
I Just Called to Say I Love You

throatybeard
11-09-2007, 02:10 PM
My brother in law has a house plant named Robert.

What we're ignoring here is that the real nadir of American postwar music was all that 4-white-guys-and-some-guitars garbage that was popular in the mid/late 1990s. 3rd Eye Blind, Goo goo Dolls &c.

Lavabe
11-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I think this was early 80's....
The Pina Colada song sucks and seems to have made a resurgence on a lot of radio stations lately.

Other nominees:

Elvira
Arthur's Theme
Hungry Eyes
Let's Hear It For the Boy (complete w/note that only dogs can hear)
I Just Called to Say I Love You

Rupert Holmes' classic PINA COLADA SONG charted in December 1979 through January 1980. Why do I know this? I remembered listening to it, and wanting to hurl on New Year's Eve ... and it wasn't due to any drinking.

My apologies for the Falco/Taco confusion. Thank you, Jason, for targeting the source of my confusion.:D
Elvira... GAG! Or should I say: Giddyeup, a hoom pocka, hoom pocka, mao, mao. Hi-ho silver, and away!

aimo, DA: We'll just agree to disagree on ONIB.

On the other hand, Mr. Roboto deserves a special place on the list.

I offer all of you one other bizarre 80's pop moment:
KISS unmasked, singing: Lick It Up.:eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

hc5duke
11-09-2007, 02:17 PM
My brother in law has a house plant named Robert.

What we're ignoring here is that the real nadir of American postwar music was all that 4-white-guys-and-some-guitars garbage that was popular in the mid/late 1990s. 3rd Eye Blind, Goo goo Dolls &c.

Crap-rock? no.... Wuss-rock.

EarlJam
11-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I offer all of you one other bizarre 80's pop moment:
KISS unmasked, singing: Lick It Up.:eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

Good one. And if you want to see all that was horrid about the wacky 80s hair band music with all its tacky antics and bad singing, just click on the link below (Yankee Rose by David Lee Roth's band).

When it comes to playing guitar, Steve Vai is the real deal. He's incredible. But how he got mixed up in all this, I don't know. Guess it was working at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2mQpYG2POM

-EarlJam

colchar
11-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Good one. And if you want to see all that was horrid about the wacky 80s hair band music with all its tacky antics and bad singing, just click on the link below (Yankee Rose by David Lee Roth's band).

When it comes to playing guitar, Steve Vai is the real deal. He's incredible. But how he got mixed up in all this, I don't know. Guess it was working at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2mQpYG2POM

-EarlJam

I saw them on that tour and they were great (and, from what I've heard, I can be seen in one of their videos that was shot at the concert...although I've never seen it myself). Roth was...well he was himself. Vai and Sheehan could play like nobody's business. The drummer sucked though (and his brother, who played bass on the next tour, was terrible).

Lavabe
11-09-2007, 03:27 PM
ONIB - yes, I really do like that song. I have a version with a great symphonic opening, the whole thing is like 8 min. long. Did you know that Tim Rice wrote the lyrics?

Two other 80's bizarre symphonic albums of pop/rock:
The Berlin Philharmonic's Born to Run.
Also, my wife has a symphonic YES album.
Cheers,
Lavabe

DevilAlumna
11-09-2007, 11:19 PM

-EeaarrllJjaamm

The hubby taught me a good trick for this -- sing "Happy Birthday" a couple of times to yourself (in your head is fine), and the old song will be gone.

Supposedly the reason it works is that it's a tune that's readily recalled but not one you actually like to hear, and it has a definite ending.

duke74
11-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Or a new head, whichever comes first, eh? "what have they done to my brain, Ma, what have they done to my brain . . . ." Was that from the 80's? It should have been; then I'd know a few words from one freakin song from that entire decade.

Don't get old, my droogy, droogs, don't ever get old!

Melanie...Late 60's or early 70's. "I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates...you've got a brand new key"