PDA

View Full Version : 28 years ago today... where were you?

bullettoothtony
03-28-2020, 09:05 AM
The Shot.

My sophomore year on campus. Before we go to lunch and start pre-gaming I find out my maternal grandfather passed away. By the time I got my stuff together, traveled, and got to my grandmother's, the game had started.

Made it to an uncle's house and caught the end of the 1st half, then the rest of the game.

How about you?

jjredickrules
03-28-2020, 09:31 AM
The Shot.

My sophomore year on campus. Before we go to lunch and start pre-gaming I find out my maternal grandfather passed away. By the time I got my stuff together, traveled, and got to my grandmother's, the game had started.

Made it to an uncle's house and caught the end of the 1st half, then the rest of the game.

How about you?

I was watching in my parents’ living room where they had some friends over. I don’t remember anything, but I believe I crapped myself at some point, being the (literally) 6 month old infant that I was ��

roywhite
03-28-2020, 10:19 AM
In the Spectrum.

On my birthday. One of my more memorable birthdays, to say the least.

DukieInKansas
03-28-2020, 10:30 AM
In the Spectrum.

On my birthday. One of my more memorable birthdays, to say the least.

Happy birthday!

By the end of the game, I was kneeling in front of my TV. Watched alone so I could swear at the TV as appropriate. I probably did a bit of pacing as well. Phone rang of the hook when it was over. Glad I left work to watch it live.

devilseven
03-28-2020, 10:37 AM
My wife and I were in the Spectrum. We traveled there by bus with a group of Iron Dukes. What a night!!

camion
03-28-2020, 10:43 AM
In my den with a couple of friends. The cat made mad dash to the safety of the basement in the aftermath. :D

DCDevil9194
03-28-2020, 11:05 AM
First year of Duke law school. Watched at TJ Hoops.

Kedsy
03-28-2020, 11:17 AM
I was there. On the floor in the end zone, approximately ten rows directly behind Grant Hill when he threw the pass. I stood on my chair, so I had approximately the same view as Grant did.

Music man55
03-28-2020, 11:21 AM
Watched at home with my wife and two family members. I remember right before Grant got handed the ball to throw it in, I swear I remember saying,"nobody's guarding the inbound".As soon as Christian caught it, I just knew he was going to make it.Just hoping he would get it off in time.What a golden memory!!

Bob Green
03-28-2020, 12:08 PM
I was at sea aboard the USS Blue Ridge listening on the radio. Yes, “The Shot” was exciting, thrilling, beyond describing on the radio.

Chicago 1995
03-28-2020, 12:08 PM
Freshman year. Watched in my fraternity’s commons with about 30 people.

Remember that even after Woods hit the shot to take the lead, no one left. Also remember the dog pile and mass hug after the shot.

mattman91
03-28-2020, 01:43 PM
Idk, doing 6 month old things:cool:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2020, 01:56 PM
Sitting (and then standing, then jumping up and down) in front of the TV at my parents' house in Charlotte, watching with their fellow Duke fan friends, losing our ever loving minds.

Then, my parents phone started to ring off the hook from friends. For your young folks, "phones" used to hang on the wall and were attached by a cord. You couldn't get texts, and you could only talk to one person at a time. But if your team won, your friends would call to commiserate. Unfortunately, if your team lost, the same might happen.

miramar
03-28-2020, 02:46 PM
While the shot was incredible, the previous couple of plays were amazing as well.

I still remember that when the ball left Christian's hand I thought, My God, this just might go in!

chrishoke
03-28-2020, 02:50 PM
I was at sea aboard the USS Blue Ridge listening on the radio. Yes, “The Shot” was exciting, thrilling, beyond describing on the radio.

Bob Harris?

Bob Green
03-28-2020, 02:56 PM
Bob Harris?

Nope. American Forces Radio and Television Service so probably the CBS feed. USS Blue Ridge is homeported in Yokosuka, Japan so I was underway in the Pacific Ocean/Philippine Sea.

budwom
03-28-2020, 03:33 PM
I am precisely where I was then, probably making me The Most Boring Man In The World.....so much so that I don't even do beer commercials.

jv001
03-28-2020, 03:34 PM
My Dad had passed away the year before(July 8th, 1991) and being the only child, I had moved back home to take care of my Mom as she was not in good health. So, I was home watching the game on television. I remember so many ups and downs in the game and my emotions were off the charts. Honestly, when Grant made the pass I didn't have much confidence in someone even catching the pass. But man was I so wrong and I let out a yell that our neighbors probably heard. I remember my Mom asked me what in the world was going on and I said I just got a little gift from above. Then I thanked my Lord. That shot meant a lot to me and I'll never forget it.

g4orce
03-28-2020, 03:51 PM
I was dating a girl @ UNC and watch the 2nd half & overtime in her dorm. When Woods hit the last UK shot, I swear every person in that dorm & the surrounding dorms erupted. It was the most gut-wrenching feeling being around all those tarholes and their smugness them thinking we'd lost.

But as I watched during the timeout, I said to her that it wasn't over. I remember telling her that I was surprised they'd (UK) called a TO... that they gave us time to figure something out & that it was dumb. This whole time, all you could here was the shouts of joy from the Tar Heel students.

When "the shot" went in, I ran deliriously up & down the outside hallway screaming to the top of my lungs. Their silence was deafening, minus the choice words hurled in my direction. It was the most beautiful sound.

szstark
03-28-2020, 03:51 PM
I was there. On the floor in the end zone, approximately ten rows directly behind Grant Hill when he threw the pass. I stood on my chair, so I had approximately the same view as Grant did.
I was in the first deck, 20-30 rows above you. I can't believe you didn't say "hi".

HereBeforeCoachK
03-28-2020, 03:55 PM
I was dating a girl @ UNC and watch the 2nd half & overtime in her dorm. When Woods hit the last UK shot, I swear every person in that dorm & the surrounding dorms erupted. It was the most gut-wrenching feeling being around all those Tar Heels and their smugness them thinking we'd lost.

But as I watched during the timeout, I said to her that it wasn't over. I remember telling her that I was surprised they'd (UK) called a TO... that they gave us time to figure something out & that it was dumb. This whole time, all you could here was the shouts of joy from the Tar Heel students.

When "the shot" went in, I ran deliriously up & down the outside hallway screaming to the top of my lungs. Their silence was deafening, minus the choice words hurled in my direction. It was the most beautiful sound.

Great memory, but UK did not call the timeout. About three Duke players did simultaneously, as soon as Woods shot banked through.....as Len Elmore said...."it went in, okay....but it was a TERRIBLE shot...."

Watching with my cousin, older cousin, who was a big heels fan and graduate. To his credit, he pulled for Duke, as his dad and aunt (my mother) were Duke grads...and he was at my house....Duke territory.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-28-2020, 03:58 PM
So you were exactly 9 rows behind Jason Evens, who was on the first row (listen to the DBR podcast if you haven't)!

I was at my late friend David's house watching in his living room as we were the year before when we beat UNLV in the FF semifinal game (when UNLV was trying to repeat as overwhelming favorites and be the greatest team ever... not!). Our future ex-wives had gone into the kitchen during that UNLV game because they couldn't take our cussin' when we were behind UNLV. Of course, we came back and beat them, so for all future games, including "the shot" game, they willingly were banished to the kitchen. :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

bullettoothtony
03-28-2020, 04:38 PM
Some great stories. Keep up coming please!

g4orce
03-28-2020, 04:42 PM
Great memory, but UK did not call the timeout. About three Duke players did simultaneously, as soon as Woods shot banked through....as Len Elmore said..."it went in, okay...but it was a TERRIBLE shot..."

You are correct, we did call the TO. But in that moment, at that time, I thought they had. Morrison dorm was bedlam and I truly hated being there, but nothing brought me more joy than being there when we won.

rsvman
03-28-2020, 05:07 PM
I was living in Carmel, California. I was not a Duke fan at the time. I was, in fact, rooting for Kentucky.

I watched the game when it sure a few days ago.

Man, did the game feel different this time!

CrazyNotCrazie
03-28-2020, 05:09 PM
I was a huge Duke fan and in high school and watching at home. I had plans to go out with friends to see White Men Can't Jump, which was just released. When the Duke game went to OT, I told my friends to go without me (I had to call them on their landline telephones). I was watching with my mom and dog. When Laettner hit the shot, I jumped up and down screaming for a few minutes - I was at the 1990 elite 8 game (Christian Laettner's "special" shot) and my reaction was exactly the same, but in a very different environment. My dog thought something was wrong and was barking like crazy. I ended up seeing the movie at a later date.

I am watching a replay of the game as I type this - I still get chills and each time I get something else out of it. Today I am realizing how spoiled we are - not having the score on the screen the whole game is really challenging. I also just noticed that we at least briefly played zone in the second half, which was very, very out of character.

bigperm13
03-28-2020, 05:12 PM
My freshman year of high school. Watched the game with my stepdad (RIP) and we stood up the rest of the game after U.K. came back from 67-55. Ran around my neighborhood screaming after The Shot and a hug from him. First game I realized Len Elmore really hated Duke and I couldn’t stand him from that point on. Replay today gave me chills and goosebumps. I needed it.

AustinDevil
03-28-2020, 05:17 PM
Senior year. Drunk in Durham. But inspired to drive to Minneapolis a few days later!

chrishoke
03-28-2020, 05:21 PM
Nope. American Forces Radio and Television Service so probably the CBS feed. USS Blue Ridge is homeported in Yokosuka, Japan so I was underway in the Pacific Ocean/Philippine Sea.

We all thank you for your service.

I have some very fond memories of listening to Duke football and basketball away games on the radio in the 60's. I'm glad my son got to experience Duke football on the radio in the 90's. He still speaks of those experiences fondly.

1991 duke law
03-28-2020, 05:41 PM
Oddly enough - I cannot remember. I remember everything about it - but where I was. But my most vivid memory of the shot - that I will never forget -was the look on T Hill’s face. Shock and amazement.

And I also remember how silly was the shot prior - pure luck- a dumb bank shot that went in but really should not have. Ah - good times.

AGDukesky
03-28-2020, 06:17 PM
I had gone to Florida for Spring Break and was flying back to college in Houston. The first leg of the trip landed in Dallas and I met my mother at the airport for lunch. The game had just started and a naively assumed Duke would win without too much of a scare. When I arrived in Houston, I called my roommate to pick me up and he says “The game just went to OT!” I get my luggage and go running around the airport to find a TV. The only one I can find is all the way back down the terminal with a group of 15 people cheering loudly at each made basket and see U.K. is winning by 1 with about a minute left. It is a bit of a blur but I remember the banked in shot by U.K. and thinking it was a b******t shot ( later when I went to Fuqua, Coach K told us the story of the game and asking Grant if he could make the pass and Laettner if he could make the shot, and he referred to the U.K. shot as a “b*******t shot”). Normally I am terrible watching those situations but I stayed confident and watched the ball go in, then went running to find my roommates car. When I almost get outside my roommate comes in and says “you’re paying if I get a ticket because I’m parked illegally!” Lo and behold he has a ticket but I didn’t care. Best $110 I ever spent...

Kedsy
03-28-2020, 06:21 PM
I was in the first deck, 20-30 rows above you. I can't believe you didn't say "hi".

Yeah. My bad.

So you were exactly 9 rows behind Jason Evens, who was on the first row (listen to the DBR podcast if you haven't)!

Didn't say hi to him, either. Guess I'm just anti-social.

...as soon as Woods shot banked through...as Len Elmore said..."it went in, okay...but it was a TERRIBLE shot..."

From my angle, we couldn't tell that he'd banked it in. When I saw replays later that night and realized it he banked it, I was outraged (in retrospect) that a stupid shot like that actually went in. I shouted at the TV for some time before they moved on to the next highlight and all was right with the world.

brevity
03-28-2020, 06:47 PM
Freshman year. Watched in my fraternity’s commons with about 30 people.

Remember that even after Woods hit the shot to take the lead, no one left. Also remember the dog pile and mass hug after the shot.

Also freshman year. It was maybe an hour before the game started, and I was at the Bryan Center. I noticed that one of those small common areas with a TV (basically an open-area den, I think there were two?) was completely empty. Seemed easier than going back to Central Campus to watch it in my freshman dorm common area, so I stayed. I sat in the middle of the sofa and read or studied for awhile; if CBS was showing a previous game, I don't remember it.

Once the game started, some people joined me in the room, but it was 1992 and making the Final Four felt like a given, so a lot of people just checked in briefly, and were pretty casual and noncommittal about sticking around. It was probably halftime when the room was filled with people who intended to watch the whole thing.

Toward the end of the game, with the outcome in doubt, the room had maybe 50 or more people in or around it, and the other den was about the same. After Kentucky took their last lead, I believe a few of the people peering in from outside the room gave up and left. Most of us sitting or standing inside the room were fairly despondent, but wanted to see the end anyway. When Laettner hit the shot, you could hear simultaneous roars from each den, and large groups of people running out and toward... something? We didn't know where we were going. We ended up converging on the West Campus quads for a very disorganized celebration.

The Class of 1995 had a weird basketball timeline. Duke won its first title during our high school senior year, and most of us got our acceptance letters the very next week. Then the roller coaster: a repeat championship our first year, a second-round loss our second year, a mildly surprising Final Four in Charlotte our junior year, and then annus horribilis as seniors.

PDDuke85
03-28-2020, 06:57 PM
An active duty Air Force PA stationed in England, I was in Heidelberg Germany that weekend to take my Re-cert board exam. For the game, I was in the visiting officers quarters watching on Armed Forces Radio and TV, the CBS feed.
While most were asleep, a boisterous “Holy F:(#%” came from my unsubdued mouth as Laettner made THE shot
I passed my exams BTW

Go Duke

boomboom93
03-28-2020, 07:50 PM
In a hotel room in Augusta, GA after my second spring regatta rowing for Duke Men's Crew. I was a junior in college but it was my first year at Duke as I had transferred in from WPI that year. I volunteered to stay behind and help drive the boats home the next day because I knew it was the only way to guarantee I could see the game.
I just remember sitting on the edge of the bed staring in disbelief during the timeout. That was literally the first time I even contemplated the idea that we might not make the Final Four. I mean, we had been the previous 4 years and were ranked #1 that entire 91-92 season despite the 2 losses. The 2nd to last weekend of the regular season we had played at UCLA, who was #2 in the country at the time, and beat them by double digits. This was not possible. Fortunately, before the reality of not getting to the Final Four sank in, Laettner hit the shot and the rest was history. :-)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2020, 07:51 PM
Yeah. My bad.

Didn't say hi to him, either. Guess I'm just anti-social.

OG social distancing

summerwind03
03-28-2020, 08:02 PM
"In the room where it happened"!

Such a great experience!

luvdahops
03-28-2020, 08:13 PM
Watching in the basement of the home of a friend of my then girlfriend's. Pretty sure I didn't make the best impression, especially when we could not put Kentucky away in the second half, and even more so when Woods hit the running, one-handed bank shot to seemingly eliminate us.

MarkD83
03-28-2020, 08:17 PM
I was living in Louisiana and my in-laws were visiting so we had to go out to dinner for some cajun cuisine.

I kept excusing myself to go to the restroom (bar to catch the score). Near the end of the game I heard multiple cheers from the bar and did not know who won until I got home and watched the tape.

Stray Gator
03-28-2020, 08:25 PM
I was at the Tampa Airport Marriott Hotel, attending my law firm's annual partners' meeting. I watched the game alone in my room (so that I could feel comfortable expressing my emotions with the ebb and flow of the game) until the under-8-minute timeout. Then I went downstairs to join a couple dozen of my colleagues in the lobby bar, where the crowd watching the game left standing room only. After Sean Woods' bank shot fell through, most of the patrons cheered, while I turned to a couple of my colleagues with whom I was standing and tried to calmly shrug it off, commenting that no matter what happened, I was proud of my Blue Devils for a great run and for battling so hard against a Kentucky team that clearly had luck on their side. I was resigned to the loss as I watched Grant Hill loft the pass towards Laettner at the far end of the court.

When The Shot passed through the net, I just remember feeling a sudden surge of adrenaline and realizing that I was jumping up and down, yelling "Yes! Yes! Yes!" like a madman, though only the people within a few feet of me could have heard it over the crowd reaction. One of the two partners beside me -- a dieheard FSU fan -- was laughing out loud and shaking his head in disbelief, slowly repeating "Holy s___. Holy s___" over and over again. Within a few seconds, as soon as it was confirmed that the shot got off in time and Duke had won, I found myself literally leaping and skipping down the length of the corridor that connects the Marriott to the Tampa Airport terminal, where I went directly to the U.S. Air Lines counter and purchased two round-trip tickets to Madison, Wisconsin for my son and me (no flights from Tallahassee to Minneapolis that would be arriving on Thursday or Friday and returning on Tuesday were available by then, so we had to fly through Milwaukee to Madison and drive a rental car from there to Minneapolis and back). Luckily, I already had a pair of Final Four tickets that I had won in the NCAA Lottery. (We used those seats for the semifinal game against Indiana, but then I was able to upgrade to floor level aisle seats behind the Duke Pep Band for the championship game against Michigan. In fact, my son and I showed up briefly on the official CBS video of the game.) Great memories that never fail to bring out the big grins.

duketaylor
03-28-2020, 08:33 PM
I had assembled 10-12 of my best buds at Chiocca’s on Belmont in Richmond. Many left as game went to OT and it was late. We settled main bar/food tab w very generous tip. Prolly had 9-10 pitchers betwixt us. So my buds leave and i stay for OT starting a new tab.
Have mayb 2 beers in OT, close out and leave minimal 2nd tip.
Go to my car and waitress follows me out I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about her tip
Having just tipped her about $50 previously, i was miffed.
Went back in and slapped a $20 on the bar and told the owner (friend and golfing buddy) i’d not be back.

She was fired later that week and i was a regular for over 20 years. She was awful, no regrets there.
That’s my memory, all that great emotion sapped by a pitiful response.
Replay comes on at 10 tonite, gonna watch and enjoy without a server to disrupt.
Go Duke!!

DU82
03-28-2020, 10:07 PM
"In the room where it happened"!

Such a great experience!

There with you in the building, standing next to Elizabeth in the upper deck (about mid-court.) I know I said "I can't believe it'll end this way" (Our runs to the FF.) Afterwards, I screamed in her ear "I can't believe he did it again" after the 1990 "Special" shot.

My parents were heading from NJ to Australia, via SF. They got on the plane (EWR to SFO) just as the game went into overtime. When they landed, they asked innocently "who won the Duke game?"

I also remember reading that Mike Gminski was in DC playing for Charlotte. He had heard that Kentucky had gone up so he knew Duke was almost finished. He heard a loud cheer and knew Duke had pulled it out (they put the score up), and he "just threw my hands up in the air and celebrated on the court.”

https://thetandd.com/sports/remembering-the-shot-even-in-the-nba-d-league-that/article_2ad5aade-6b32-11e1-9faa-001871e3ce6c.html

Benjonson
03-28-2020, 11:44 PM
In Phoenix with clients...I excused myself and watched the game alone in my hotel room. Called my dad and we celebrated...both agreeing it was the most amazing game we had ever seen. It was a happy conversation and the last one we were to have. He died the next afternoon.

dukie’s_daughter
03-28-2020, 11:46 PM
Watching at home. Hubby banished me to the den downstairs, ‘ cause I was yelling so much and scaring the kids ( 9 & 6).
Remember yelling to Christian: “ Don’t dribble the dam* ball!!!”

First time my hubby ever heard me cuss🙄

79-77
03-29-2020, 12:06 AM
At the Spectrum, in the upper part of the upper deck, which had to be accessed by a rickety staircase from the top of the lower part of the upper deck. I was at about the far free-throw line. Pretty close to an out-of-body experience.

(I was also at the other Laettner regional final buzzer-beater vs UConn in the Meadowlands in 1990. Thanks Christian.)

camion
03-29-2020, 12:20 AM
Sadly it’s no longer today EDT.

subzero02
03-29-2020, 04:13 AM
I was 12 years old and watched the game with my mom and dad; my 6 year old sister was home but wasn't following the game. All 3 of us were actually rooting against Duke(my dad is an Arkansas fan so there was bitterness that lingered from the 1990 final four). I can remember needing to go to the bathroom throughout the entire overtime but not wanting to leave the TV and risk missing a play. After Woods made the go ahead basket, I got up and stood behind the couch so I could watch Duke's season end on what I assumed would be a missed desperation heave from halfcourt. As soon as Laettner caught the ball I knew Kentucky was in trouble. After the shot went through the net, I didn't have to go to the bathroom anymore... I was just numb.

johnb
03-29-2020, 04:33 AM

http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

I was also on about the 10th row, right behind Grant. Friends had gone to the first game and said they’d try to get tickets for the regional final if we won. i debated whether I wanted to travel all the way to Philadelphia from NY, for about 10 seconds. Better than my average decision.

bullettoothtony
03-29-2020, 08:22 AM
In Phoenix with clients...I excused myself and watched the game alone in my hotel room. Called my dad and we celebrated...both agreeing it was the most amazing game we had ever seen. It was a happy conversation and the last one we were to have. He died the next afternoon.

Wow... that is brutal man. I was sorry to lose my grandfather but quite frankly that wasn't nearly as painful as the day I lost my father.

kcduke75
03-29-2020, 10:28 AM
Sadly it’s no longer today EDT.

I was at my favorite little hole-in-the-wall restaurant Half Tyme in Forest Hills shopping center in Derm.

It was standing room only with Duke fans and several co-workers including one UNCheat fan and my formerly Cheat fan wife. The place was nuts with everyone jumping up and down with every good Duke play.

When the "almost shot" went through, you could hear a pin drop.

During the timeout the only one that spoke was the Cheat fan that said. "it's not over yet, Duke could still win." SMH

Seconds later when "The Shot" fell through, the place erupted and people were hugging and screaming and literally dancing on the tables.

Unfortunately, the incompetent staff were unable to get folks their checks in a reasonable time so many just left. It was symptomatic and the place went out of business taking that memory with them.

moonpie23
03-29-2020, 10:45 AM
My then-wife and i were traveling back from SC to Raleigh. The weather was terrible with heavy rain and winds.....I had the game on a station coming out of Florence SC heading up I-95. The station started fading and i tried to find another......this was with about 6 mins to go in the game.

miles later, i finally found a weak station and the time was down to a little over a minute left. I pulled over on the side of I95 and just sat there in the pouring rain listening to a crackley broadcast. The reception was coming and going, but we did hear the last 10 seconds........

sitting in the car, screaming !!

MichiganDevil
03-29-2020, 10:48 AM
I was there at the Spectrum in the Duke section. Being from the Philadelphia area and a senior in the Class of '92, the stars aligned rather nicely.

It is hard to believe how clutch Laettner was in his 4 regional finals...shot 31-34 from the floor in those games for an astounding 91%!

9 for 10 vs. Alonzo and G'town in 1989
7 for 8 and game-winning shot vs. UConn in 1990
5 for 6 vs. St. John's in 1991
10 for 10 vs. UK in 1992

This is not mention 10-10 from the line vs UK

91Duke
03-29-2020, 11:18 AM
a day late to this thread: In my first year of grad school, watching the game on a crappy B&W TV in my tiny room trying to hold bunny ears antennae in the right direction while going out of my mind. Unfortunately none of my grad school friends cared about basketball, much less Duke basketball, so I couldn't share my excitement.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
03-29-2020, 12:35 PM
I was in the bar/cafe at my local country club named “The Kentucky Room.” (I lived in a Kentucky at that time) The room was crowded with Kentucky fans. The whole game I kept asking my wife why we hadn’t stayed at home to watch the game. When Kentucky scored with a few seconds left the UK fans thought the game was over. I thought so too. My wife, a UNC grad, told me there was time left. The rest is history. I heard one older female UK fan say she was going home and stick her head in the gas oven. Being my usual self, somewhat of an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., I offered free drinks to all. No one accepted my offer. At that time having graduated from law school at UK I was not a UK hater. I became one after the UK fans bought up the tickets to the Duke/IU NCAA game in 1992 and booed Duke the entire game. I told my wife the difference in Carolina and UK fans is if you gave Carolina fans free tickets they wouldn’t walk across the street to see Duke play, but U.K. fans came and cheered IU which was their biggest nemesis when I was in law school in the early 70’s. Although most of my friends are U.K. fans I will always root for the team they are playing!

budwom
03-29-2020, 12:49 PM
At some point I'll have to watch the 1992 championship game again...remarkable in how out of it Laettner was in the first half, he was a walking zombie...and then we humiliated the pesky Wolverines in the second half...

szstark
03-29-2020, 01:41 PM
Yeah. My bad.

It’s ok. I forgive you. Actually, my most vivid memory is the dead silence in the area immediately after the ball went through the net and before the crowd had time to react. I’ve never experienced anything like it either before or after.

heyman25
03-29-2020, 07:50 PM
In my childhood I was fortunate to have a housekeeper named Gladys Walston . Four siblings and a single Mother. My father was an ENT professor of the Duke Medical School and a close friend of Dr. George Baylin. He passed away of a heart attack suffered in NYC.Dr. Baylin was the Baylin of the Baylin-Swett award Jack White recently won. Gladys was celebrating her retirement from the VA as a registered nurse. I believe it was at the Sheraton in the Research Triangle near RDU.I recall leaving the room and watching near the closest TV. I about had a heart attack. I did get to see the SHOT! Laettner was 100% from the line and the field. Thank god he was not ejected for the Timberlake foot tap. Stomp was an inaccurate reporting.

heyman25
03-29-2020, 07:57 PM
I was in the bar/cafe at my local country club named “The Kentucky Room.” (I lived in a Kentucky at that time) The room was crowded with Kentucky fans. The whole game I kept asking my wife why we hadn’t stayed at home to watch the game. When Kentucky scored with a few seconds left the UK fans thought the game was over. I thought so too. My wife, a UNC grad, told me there was time left. The rest is history. I heard one older female UK fan say she was going home and stick her head in the gas oven. Being my usual self, somewhat of an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., I offered free drinks to all. No one accepted my offer. At that time having graduated from law school at UK I was not a UK hater. I became one after the UK fans bought up the tickets to the Duke/IU NCAA game in 1992 and booed Duke the entire game. I told my wife the difference in Carolina and UK fans is if you gave Carolina fans free tickets they wouldn’t walk across the street to see Duke play, but U.K. fans came and cheered IU which was their biggest nemesis when I was in law school in the early 70’s. Although most of my friends are U.K. fans I will always root for the team they are playing!

What do the older fans say about Jeff Mullins who is still alive who came from Lexington. Ky to form the most prolific scoring duo in Duke basketball history,Art Heyman and Jeff Mullins. Vince Taylor is also from Lexington. The UK fans were probably pissed about him attending Duke. Taylor is an assistant coach for UCF under Johnny Dawkins.
https://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=34100&ATCLID=211766091

left_hook_lacey
03-29-2020, 08:15 PM
In 8th grade English class.

Tripping William
03-29-2020, 08:28 PM
In 8th grade English class.

On a Saturday??

Skydog
03-29-2020, 08:53 PM
In January of that year I had met this guy who had just moved here from Baltimore. He and his wife weren't college bb fans at all but I drug them to a Duke game earlier in the season and they were hooked. So that night we go to a popular bar/restaurant/dive in Durham near the corner of University & Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd. I think it was called The Rockwood Filling Station at that time? Anyway we go there to eat and watch the game on TV. The place was packed and everyone was losing it in overtime. At the end the same reaction as all Duke fans, elation when we go ahead, then depression and sadness when Kentucky makes the shot and then just unbelievable joy after Laettner makes the shot. Everyone was grabbing each other and jumping up and down and my new friend turned to me and said with emotion "Thank you for introducing me to Duke basketball!" What a glorious night! :)

billy
03-29-2020, 10:13 PM
In January of that year I had met this guy who had just moved here from Baltimore. He and his wife weren't college bb fans at all but I drug them to a Duke game earlier in the season and they were hooked. So that night we go to a popular bar/restaurant/dive in Durham near the corner of University & Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd. I think it was called The Rockwood Filling Station at that time? Anyway we go there to eat and watch the game on TV. The place was packed and everyone was losing it in overtime. At the end the same reaction as all Duke fans, elation when we go ahead, then depression and sadness when Kentucky makes the shot and then just unbelievable joy after Laettner makes the shot. Everyone was grabbing each other and jumping up and down and my new friend turned to me and said with emotion "Thank you for introducing me to Duke basketball!" What a glorious night! :)

Not too far from where you were, I was at Satisfaction. After UK's last shot, it was crickets. People literally crying, depressed. After the shot, utter pandemonium for the 5 seconds it took to celebrate then rush out to get to campus.

YmoBeThere
03-29-2020, 10:32 PM
Army ROTC Spring FTX at Camp Butner.

heyman25
03-29-2020, 11:18 PM
In my childhood I was fortunate to have a housekeeper named Gladys Walston . Four siblings and a single Mother. My father was an ENT professor of the Duke Medical School and a close friend of Dr. George Baylin. He passed away of a heart attack suffered in NYC.Dr. Baylin was the Baylin of the Baylin-Swett award Jack White recently won. Gladys was celebrating her retirement from the VA as a registered nurse. I believe it was at the Sheraton in the Research Triangle near RDU.I recall leaving the room and watching near the closest TV. I about had a heart attack. I did get to see the SHOT! Laettner was 100% from the line and the field. Thank god he was not ejected for the Timberlake foot tap. Stomp was an inaccurate reporting.
https://goduke.com/news/2020/3/26/mens-basketball-mbb-awards-announced-carey-jones-named-team-mvps.aspx
Correction:Title and recipients.
Swett-Baylin Trophy 2020 Tre Jones and Vernon Carey Jr. Co MVP's
Dr. Deryl Hart award best scholar-athlete Jack White.
My sister's best friend Leslie Mann was the daughter of Ted Mann Sports publicity director in the 60's for Duke Athletics. Her brother Ted Mann Jr. was on the Heyman Mullins teams and tragically died one summer body surfing. Neck was broken in the accident.
There is a Ted Mann Jr; Glen E. (Ted ) Mann award that was given to Justin Robinson for contributing the most to team morale.
Justin was the catalyst for making the season end on a positive note.

meansy53
03-30-2020, 09:14 AM
The Shot.

How about you?

I was nine years old at the time and was at my grandmother's house in Henderson, NC with a bunch of extended family. My cousin (same age as me) says to this day that he jumped so high when the shot went in that his head hit the ceiling. For some reason, I still don't believe him.

That shot, and being at the UNLV game in Indy the year before, are some of the earliest and most profound memories I have as a child.

niveklaen
03-30-2020, 09:25 AM
Freshman year for me - in the commons room of Trent 3 watching - tense silence, elation

-jk
03-30-2020, 09:48 AM
I was nine years old at the time and was at my grandmother's house in Henderson, NC with a bunch of extended family. My cousin (same age as me) says to this day that he jumped so high when the shot went in that his head hit the ceiling. For some reason, I still don't believe him.

That shot, and being at the UNLV game in Indy the year before, are some of the earliest and most profound memories I have as a child.

Maybe your cousin jumped off a sofa...

-jk

mark34
03-30-2020, 11:27 AM
I was in a seedy sportsbook in Mexico with a handful of Duke fans and another handful of KY fans across the building. The degenerate gambling locals were really confused about why we were so excited.

elvis14
03-30-2020, 11:42 AM
The day before the game I presented my Master's paper and took and passed my oral exams for my Masters degree. So I was in Clemson that Saturday night with a bunch of friends who had gathered to celebrate with me. We were at a friends apartment and didn't go out until after the game. We were going crazy when the shot was hit. Needless to say, it was good night (or at least the parts of it I remember).

rasputin
03-30-2020, 01:47 PM
We were watching in our living room. We had symphony tickets for that night, and thought the game would be over in time, so we decided to watch it live and then go to the symphony. Of course, the game lasted a lot longer than expected. We decided to go ahead to the symphony, and taped the rest on the trusty old VCR. Duke had a fairly comfortable lead when we left. It was quite a shock when we got back and watched the tape.

We had done a similar game the year before; had hockey tickets and taped the game against UNLV.

YmoBeThere
03-30-2020, 03:47 PM
Army ROTC Spring FTX at Camp Butner.

And I’m not bitter about it at all. “That’s alright, you saw Christian hit the shot to beat UConn in ‘90 right?” Nope, Spring FTX that year also. Not bitter at all...

Gooch
03-30-2020, 04:41 PM
Sophomore year, I was in the basement of Wannamaker where my fraternity lived in a bedroom right next to the commons room where we had kegs (yes there were still kegs then). I ended up in a dogpile on the floor of that room as all of my brothers streamed downstairs to celebrate.

My girlfriend had one of her friends visiting that weekend from out of town, and he was a big-time Duke hater. He was going crazy on Woods' made shot until my girlfriend pointed out: "You know there will be no parties on campus if we lose this game...did you come all the way from Dartmouth for that?" He changed his tune during the time out and celebrated with the rest of us!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2020, 05:55 PM
I was there at the Spectrum in the Duke section. Being from the Philadelphia area and a senior in the Class of '92, the stars aligned rather nicely.

It is hard to believe how clutch Laettner was in his 4 regional finals...shot 31-34 from the floor in those games for an astounding 91%!

10 for 10 vs. UK in 1992

Sporks for excellence

AZLA
03-30-2020, 06:39 PM
Sophomore year, I was in the basement of Wannamaker where my fraternity lived in a bedroom right next to the commons room where we had kegs (yes there were still kegs then). I ended up in a dogpile on the floor of that room as all of my brothers streamed downstairs to celebrate.

My girlfriend had one of her friends visiting that weekend from out of town, and he was a big-time Duke hater. He was going crazy on Woods' made shot until my girlfriend pointed out: "You know there will be no parties on campus if we lose this game...did you come all the way from Dartmouth for that?" He changed his tune during the time out and celebrated with the rest of us!

Was at Duke visiting my girlfriend. Bunch of people gathered in the commons room. When the pass arched and Laettner got in position with two defenders behind him -- "he's got a chance" -- is what went through my mind. Followed by -- why is he doing a fake, dribble... (no time!) but as soon as he square up I was like, this is going in... YES! My girlfriend screamed and fell over the back of the couch (she was sitting up on the frame because everyone was packed in). She flew off the couch and landed on the hard floor flat on her back and head. I thought she was crying. She was just super elated! The rest of the night was a mega party. Almost got roasted standing on a bench too long later that night. I forgot Duke people like to burn benches...

HereBeforeCoachK
03-30-2020, 08:20 PM
From my angle, we couldn't tell that he'd banked it in. When I saw replays later that night and realized it he banked it, I was outraged (in retrospect) that a stupid shot like that actually went in. I shouted at the TV for some time before they moved on to the next highlight and all was right with the world.

You and K had the same reaction.....he said in one of those several specials on that game...."The Laettner Game" or maybe "I Hate..." - he mentioned that shot angered him....Grant Hill too......"that's what it's gonna take....that shot right there" - Hill said with clear derision....

moonpie23
03-30-2020, 09:00 PM
10 for 10 PLUS 10......

that's all you got to say.....

HereBeforeCoachK
03-30-2020, 09:07 PM

10 for 10 vs. UK in 1992

That is the most mind boggling, cold blooded killer stat I've ever heard. The stat it replaces at the top of that list is another Laettner stat....heard it back in the 90s...that Late was 80% from 3 point range, as a junior and senior, in the second half of games, and Duke tied or behind. But that Regional Final stat....I I I...got nothin....amazing. Dude was a stone cold killer in the clutch.

roywhite
03-30-2020, 09:30 PM
10 for 10 PLUS 10...

that's all you got to say....

And you know CBS didn't say it when it was happening?

Talk about missing a major talking point!

sagegrouse
03-30-2020, 10:16 PM

And here -- is the REST of the story, from Verne Lundquist, who was at the mike:

I was asked later why we didn’t mention on the broadcast that Laettner was perfect from the floor and perfect from the line. [He was 10-10 and 10-10.] Well, I didn’t know. I asked my statistician, a guy who had worked with me for years, why he hadn’t told me. He was a bit strange. He said it was in the handwritten notes, which I hadn’t managed to figure out. I believe he ended up getting fired over the incident.”

From my interview notes with Verne about ten years ago.

roywhite
03-30-2020, 10:29 PM
And here -- is the REST of the story, from Verne Lundquist, who was at the mike:

From my interview notes with Verne about ten years ago.

Great catch, Sage.

Where else do we get the inside scoop like here?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-31-2020, 09:02 AM

I won't slam Vern for that.....Vern is the man, and his instincts, after Laettner's shot went in and he yelled his iconic "YEEESSSSSS" - was to just be quiet and let the chaos play out for a long time.....a great broadcaster is like a great drummer......sometimes the beat you don't hit is the key........

And on another note, how about the amazing moments Vern has broadcast:

Laettner shot
Davis 109 yard FG return Auburn over Alabama
Auburn hail may the week before versus Georgia, adding meaning to the Bama game
Tiger's chip hanging on the lip, before dropping, on the 16th Augusta.

...when Vern is on the call, something magic is bound to happen.....

sagegrouse
03-31-2020, 09:02 AM
It is appropriate to hear from the announcer that evening, Verne Lundquist. I posted this a few years ago:

In a recent column that some of you saw and quoted from, Norman Chad listed 23 supposedly true sports facts: “10. If Verne Lundquist lived next door to me, I’d go over to borrow a cup of sugar every other day.”

I don’t live next door to Verne but I do see him often in our small town of Steamboat Springs, Colorado. As Chad intimated, Verne is a really good guy, totally pleasant and exceptionally well informed on many subjects. A few weeks ago, I spoke with Verne Lundquist about “The Shot,” which he called for CBS. Until I saw a recent You Tube clip, I hadn’t even realized that he was the game announcer. I was with another neighbor, former Duke hurler Larry Harrison. “What did you think,” I asked Verne, “when it happened?”

“Well,” he said, “there was total silence [at the mike] for a few minutes and the camera just panned the court and all the celebrations going on. Then Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe came over and asked Len Elmore [Verne’s partner that day – who knew?], ‘Until today, I thought the ACC final you played against North Carolina State in 1974 was the best college basketball game I had ever seen. Which game do you think was better?’ Len hesitated for a long minute and finally said, ‘I think this game may have been better.’”

“It was a few minutes later before I could talk to Mike Krzyzewski. One of the things I really admire about Mike (and there are many things I like) is that immediately after the game he went over to talk to the Kentucky radio announcer, Cawood Ledford. Ledford had been there forever and, as the tournament started, had announced that the next Kentucky loss would be his last game. Mike spoke first to Ledford and to the Kentucky fans on the radio network.” K told the Kentucky fans that they had listened to one of the classic basketball games in history.

“When I talked to Mike a few minutes later,” he said, “I knew if I could get the ball to that son-of-a-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. in the circle, he would make the shot.’ I was asked later why we didn’t mention on the broadcast that Laettner was perfect from the floor and perfect from the line. [He was 10-10 and 10-10.] Well, I didn’t know. I asked my statistician, a guy who had worked with me for years, why he hadn’t told me. He was a bit strange. He said it was in the handwritten notes, which I hadn’t managed to figure out. I believe he ended up getting fired over the incident.”

“One more story: Gene Wojchiechowski, a really good guy, is writing a book on the game to be published on the 20th anniversary, and he interviewed me. I told him about my conversation with Mike. He then related it to Laettner. When I talked to him later, he said that Christian was visibly upset with Mike’s remark. ‘What did you tell him,’ I asked? Wojo said he quoted K as saying, “I knew if I could get the ball to that a**hole in the circle, he would make the shot.’ ‘No! No! No! On my mother’s grave that’s not what Mike said. He said something totally different.’ So, Gene went back to Christian with a revised story, and Laettner was relieved.”

duke79
03-31-2020, 03:13 PM
I won't slam Vern for that....Vern is the man, and his instincts, after Laettner's shot went in and he yelled his iconic "YEEESSSSSS" - was to just be quiet and let the chaos play out for a long time....a great broadcaster is like a great drummer...sometimes the beat you don't hit is the key....

And on another note, how about the amazing moments Vern has broadcast:

Laettner shot
Davis 109 yard FG return Auburn over Alabama
Auburn hail may the week before versus Georgia, adding meaning to the Bama game
Tiger's chip hanging on the lip, before dropping, on the 16th Augusta.

...when Vern is on the call, something magic is bound to happen....

You forgot to list one of Vern's all time great "calls"....Jack Nicklaus' putt on the 17th hole at the 1986 Masters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X9-LRZNM60

sagegrouse
03-31-2020, 04:18 PM
You forgot to list one of Vern's all time great "calls"...Jack Nicklaus' putt on the 17th hole at the 1986 Masters:

Verne's autobiography, Play by Play, is a good read, especially if you are of a certain age. For example, as a very young man, he was on the air with his own morning show at KTBC radio in Austin in November 1963, when the news director came rushing in and demanded the microphone, saying "President Kennedy has been shot!" KTBC was owned by the LBJ family and Kennedy was due to fly to Austin after leaving Dallas.

Verne listed his all-time-great TV broadcast experiences at the end of his book: 46 YO Nicklaus's 18-foot birdie putt on 17 in the 1986 Masters, which put him in the lead for his 18th and final major; the 2013 Alabama-Auburn game, which ended on a 109-yard field goal return by Auburn to win the SEC West; Tiger's chip on 16 at the Masters -- the "Nike logo shot," and Laettner's shot.

bullettoothtony
03-31-2020, 04:19 PM
It is appropriate to hear from the announcer that evening, Verne Lundquist. I posted this a few years ago:

In a recent column that some of you saw and quoted from, Norman Chad listed 23 supposedly true sports facts: “10. If Verne Lundquist lived next door to me, I’d go over to borrow a cup of sugar every other day.”

I don’t live next door to Verne but I do see him often in our small town of Steamboat Springs, Colorado. As Chad intimated, Verne is a really good guy, totally pleasant and exceptionally well informed on many subjects. A few weeks ago, I spoke with Verne Lundquist about “The Shot,” which he called for CBS. Until I saw a recent You Tube clip, I hadn’t even realized that he was the game announcer. I was with another neighbor, former Duke hurler Larry Harrison. “What did you think,” I asked Verne, “when it happened?”

“Well,” he said, “there was total silence [at the mike] for a few minutes and the camera just panned the court and all the celebrations going on. Then Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe came over and asked Len Elmore [Verne’s partner that day – who knew?], ‘Until today, I thought the ACC final you played against North Carolina State in 1974 was the best college basketball game I had ever seen. Which game do you think was better?’ Len hesitated for a long minute and finally said, ‘I think this game may have been better.’”

“It was a few minutes later before I could talk to Mike Krzyzewski. One of the things I really admire about Mike (and there are many things I like) is that immediately after the game he went over to talk to the Kentucky radio announcer, Cawood Ledford. Ledford had been there forever and, as the tournament started, had announced that the next Kentucky loss would be his last game. Mike spoke first to Ledford and to the Kentucky fans on the radio network.” K told the Kentucky fans that they had listened to one of the classic basketball games in history.

“When I talked to Mike a few minutes later,” he said, “I knew if I could get the ball to that son-of-a-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. in the circle, he would make the shot.’ I was asked later why we didn’t mention on the broadcast that Laettner was perfect from the floor and perfect from the line. [He was 10-10 and 10-10.] Well, I didn’t know. I asked my statistician, a guy who had worked with me for years, why he hadn’t told me. He was a bit strange. He said it was in the handwritten notes, which I hadn’t managed to figure out. I believe he ended up getting fired over the incident.”

“One more story: Gene Wojchiechowski, a really good guy, is writing a book on the game to be published on the 20th anniversary, and he interviewed me. I told him about my conversation with Mike. He then related it to Laettner. When I talked to him later, he said that Christian was visibly upset with Mike’s remark. ‘What did you tell him,’ I asked? Wojo said he quoted K as saying, “I knew if I could get the ball to that a**hole in the circle, he would make the shot.’ ‘No! No! No! On my mother’s grave that’s not what Mike said. He said something totally different.’ So, Gene went back to Christian with a revised story, and Laettner was relieved.”

Man that's good stuff... thanks for posting!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-31-2020, 04:24 PM
You forgot to list one of Vern's all time great "calls"...Jack Nicklaus' putt on the 17th hole at the 1986 Masters:

Ah yes, Bear tracks...good catch....as it happens, that's the only one I didn't see live....of those Vern memories. Quite a freaking career.....

rsvman
03-31-2020, 04:33 PM
I was 12 years old and watched the game with my mom and dad; my 6 year old sister was home but wasn't following the game. All 3 of us were actually rooting against Duke(my dad is an Arkansas fan so there was bitterness that lingered from the 1990 final four). I can remember needing to go to the bathroom throughout the entire overtime but not wanting to leave the TV and risk missing a play. After Woods made the go ahead basket, I got up and stood behind the couch so I could watch Duke's season end on what I assumed would be a missed desperation heave from halfcourt. As soon as Laettner caught the ball I knew Kentucky was in trouble. After the shot went through the net, I didn't have to go to the bathroom anymore... I was just numb.

I would have wagered that I was the only person who frequents this forum that was rooting for Kentucky that day. Glad to see I was not alone.

People sometimes make mistakes in their younger years.......

follyblue
03-31-2020, 06:43 PM
I graduated the year before from Duke Law and was enjoying my first year in practice living on Isle of Palms, outside of Charleston, South Carolina. My girlfriend, now wife, and I walked down the beach to the legendary Windjammer to watch the game on a huge TV in the bar. I still vividly recall the shot and thinking when Christian took the dribble "Oh no, there is no way he gets it off in time." Thankfully I was wrong. I definitely was the biggest Duke fan in the bar and went a little nuts. On the walk home, my future wife thought it would be funny to tackle me on the beach, dislocating my shoulder. It hurt so bad, I could not take my sweater off, so I slept in it, and went to the doc in the morning. We are still married.

SamHouston
04-01-2020, 08:25 AM
At the Spectrum. Upper level right behind the basket where Laettner made the shot. I remember saying to myself when the ball was in the air...that shot’s going in.

jipops
04-01-2020, 08:48 AM
I was a sophomore in college at a party. It was a gorgeous day in NC (at least that is how I picture it now). The entire place was glued to the TV and erupted when Woods hit that banker. When Laettner caught the pass I remember having a feeling of expectation that he was going to hit the shot. I was more worried about him getting it off in time. I was euphoric. I called my parents immediately who were ready to book their flight to Minneapolis. I don't remember much after that. I must have had many celebratory beers after. My girlfriend at the time was a unc fan so I gave her a little space for awhile.

Banana
04-06-2020, 12:48 PM
I was sitting/pacing in my basement throughout the game, and holding my hands together so tightly (as frequently happens during Duke basketball games) that they almost got stuck together permanently. After Laettner's winning shot, my dad and my pastor called to congratulate me, and then I had to jog around the neighborhood before I could calm down enough to go to sleep.

About a week later, I heard from a Duke friend who was nine months pregnant during the game that she had to turn off the TV during the timeout before the shot, because she was afraid the excitement of seeing the final 2.4 seconds of the game might induce labor. A few days later, she gave birth to a son that she and her husband decided to name Cameron for obvious reasons. Flash forward 17 years, and I received my annual batch of alumni interview requests. Cameron was one of the applicants. I had to pass along the interview to another interviewer, because I could not objectively interview Cameron, given my wonderful friendship with his mom and my knowledge of what transpired during his last few days in the womb.

chrishoke
04-06-2020, 12:52 PM
I was sitting/pacing in my basement throughout the game, and holding my hands together so tightly (as frequently happens during Duke basketball games) that they almost got stuck together permanently. After Laettner's winning shot, my dad and my pastor called to congratulate me, and then I had to jog around the neighborhood before I could calm down enough to go to sleep.

About a week later, I heard from a Duke friend who was nine months pregnant during the game that she had to turn off the TV during the timeout before the shot, because she was afraid the excitement of seeing the final 2.4 seconds of the game might induce labor. A few days later, she gave birth to a son that she and her husband decided to name Cameron for obvious reasons. Flash forward 17 years, and I received my annual batch of alumni interview requests. Cameron was one of the applicants. I had to pass along the interview to another interviewer, because I could not objectively interview Cameron, given my wonderful friendship with his mom and my knowledge of what transpired during his last few days in the womb.

Did Cameron get in?

Banana
04-06-2020, 01:07 PM
Unfortunately, my friend died tragically the next spring, so I never found out whether Cameron got into Duke. But I suspect not, because he ended up attending UMd College Park.

Oh no, not Petway!
04-07-2020, 04:01 PM
I leapt from the couch knocking over a table, scaring the dog (named Duke) and waking the baby, who started crying. My wife, a tarhell, was not impressed.

Turk
04-07-2020, 04:50 PM
At the Spectrum. Upper level right behind the basket where Laettner made the shot. I remember saying to myself when the ball was in the air...that shot’s going in.

At the Spectrum, top deck, about center court. With Mrs. Turk, Brother and Poppa Turk! When CBS Sports replayed classic NCAA games, my youngest daughter had the misfortune of walking through the living room for the last minute of OT. After her required mockery, I told her she might want to stick around for the end. The thing that surprised me on the "almost shot" was how Pelphrey completely trucked Hurley with his pick allowing Woods into the lane with a full head of steam; almost as bad as Howard, the Butler center who blew up Singler allowing Hayward to get a good clean look on his shot in 2010. Loving those CBS replays! (got a couple still on the DVR!)

jafarr1
04-07-2020, 08:02 PM
I was in House B's common room (then known as "FUBAR") during my junior year. I remember not even being that despondent after Woods hit his shot, which was very out of character for me, but we'd had one heck of a run, and it had been one heck of the game. I turned to a friend and shrugged, as if to say "what can you do about that?"

Then Laettner hit the shot, and I immediately sprinted out onto the quad and screamed my head off. I remember being the first one out there, as everyone else was glued to TVs watching replays and to see how the rest played out, so it took a few minutes before there were more than four or five people out there with me. The party started soon enough.