PDA

View Full Version : Tapé replay - Patrick recommits to Duke!!

Pages : [1] 2

DavidBenAkiva
03-24-2020, 08:15 PM
Duke gets it's Ivy League grad transfer. Tape is a 6'10" C from Charlotte and played 4 years at Columbia University in NYC. He is coming home to North Carolina (and donning a much better shade of blue, I might add).

According to Jeff Borzello of ESPN (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1242605855721304064), Tape had the following to say:

"It was really just being close to home and having my family come see me, the excellent tradition they have there, and the opportunity to play for the best coach of all time."

UrinalCake
03-24-2020, 08:22 PM
Awesome news! Can someone give us the Tale of the Tape? How likely is he to contribute? Is he expected to start over Mark Williams?

MartyClark
03-24-2020, 08:25 PM
How is his name pronounced? Ta-pay?

DavidBenAkiva
03-24-2020, 08:26 PM
Awesome news! Can someone give us the Tale of the Tape? How likely is he to contribute? Is he expected to start over Mark Williams?

He started to get serious minutes a junior, in 2018-19. In October of '19, he announced that he was going to sit out for the year and grad transfer. He's immediately eligible.

From what I have seen, he's a solid Division I center if not remarkable. He was efficient around the rim in 18-19, hitting 66.7% of his shots, nearly all of it close to the rim. Good rebounder, reasonably athletic. My expectation is that he will push Mark Williams for minutes if Coach K decides to play a true 5 but that Williams should still be able to win most of the minutes. Williams is taller, longer, and much more athletic. But Tape is a grown man. He's got the size to compete with nearly anyone at the college level. I like the fit as he offers exactly what Duke fans were nervous about: size, rebounding, a little shot blocking, and depth.

BlueDevil16
03-24-2020, 08:27 PM
Is he a PF or a C? Either way, 6’10” senior brings height and experience, two things that are lacking

dukelifer
03-24-2020, 08:27 PM

He looks to be an experienced big man who sat out last year to preserve eligibility. He averaged 11 pts and 6 rebounds and shot about 70% from the line. He is a big body, legit 6' 10" 240 and moves well. I think he will start.

JasonEvans
03-24-2020, 08:31 PM
Most importantly, folks need to know how to say his name. It is not like:

https://static.winc.com.au/pi/ae/bf99fdab4d1650948e76eab0d50dfcb2db4425-619670/full.jpg

It is Tuh-pay with very little pause between the two syllables. Don't make it Tuh...Pay. It is Tuhpay.

DavidBenAkiva
03-24-2020, 08:34 PM
How is his name pronounced? Ta-pay?

Yes, the emphasis is on PAY, as in, PAY YOUR RENT!

robed deity
03-24-2020, 08:36 PM
He looks to be an experienced big man who sat out last year to preserve eligibility. He averaged 11 pts and 6 rebounds and shot about 70% from the line. He is a big body, legit 6' 10" 240 and moves well. I think he will start.

Even a tick better over his last 10 games:15, 7, and a couple blocks. Hard to know how he'll adjust to the jump in competition (hoping more Seth Curry and less Justin Pierce for example), but looks to be a solid pickup.

BlueDevil16
03-24-2020, 08:36 PM
https://www.si.com/college/duke/basketball/duke-reaches-out-to-patrick-tape

Seems to potentially have some foul trouble issues, but still excited given the need we have for depth

bundabergdevil
03-24-2020, 08:40 PM
Most importantly, folks need to know how to say his name. It is not like:

https://static.winc.com.au/pi/ae/bf99fdab4d1650948e76eab0d50dfcb2db4425-619670/full.jpg

It is Tuh-pay with very little pause between the two syllables. Don't make it Tuh...Pay. It is Tuhpay.

That's too bad. "Duke Tape" had A LOT of potential for the crazies!

BigZ
03-24-2020, 08:47 PM

Seems to potentially have some foul trouble issues, but still excited given the need we have for depth

So he takes over for Javin then lol

OldPhiKap
03-24-2020, 08:47 PM
Welcome, Mr. Tape!

Whether major minutes and/or mainly a big help in practice, if Coach wants you with us then I’m all in. Welcome to the team, welcome to the family.

Welcome to Duke.

UrinalCake
03-24-2020, 08:49 PM
That's too bad. "Duke Tape" had A LOT of potential for the crazies!

"I'm not OCD, I'm just very Tape"

brevity
03-24-2020, 08:51 PM

As in, “If an opponent tries to challenge our frontcourt, there’ll be hell Tape”?

kAzE
03-24-2020, 08:53 PM
Experienced big man? Yes please.

Welcome to Duke!

weezie
03-24-2020, 08:58 PM
Awesome news! Can someone give us the Tale of the Tape?

Love it. Clever points.

weezie
03-24-2020, 08:59 PM
As in, “If an opponent tries to challenge our frontcourt, there’ll be hell Tape”?

Very close challenge at the tape.

scottdude8
03-24-2020, 09:03 PM
Experienced big man? Yes please.

Welcome to Duke!

Amen! This seemed to be the biggest hole in our projected lineup next year, no matter who returns. Even if Tape does nothing more than play 10 mpg and use his 5 fouls, he’ll be serving a very important role.

This was more of a need than Towns by far. Great get.

Can it be November already (for multiple reasons)?

bluedev_92
03-24-2020, 09:07 PM
Glad to have you! Welcome to DUKE!!

CDu
03-24-2020, 09:07 PM
Great news. Tape gives us some more versatility and options inside. We appear to have a lot of options on the perimeter, so it is nice to now have options inside.

UrinalCake
03-24-2020, 09:12 PM
I found a highlight video. He looks pretty good against Ivy League opponents. Reasonably mobile and can initiate from outside the paint. Actually kind of reminds me of Vernon Carey how he seals his man or goes right into and through his defender, though obviously his level of competition has been much lower. Would love to get 15mpg out of him. Sounds like a great addition in terms of his size, ability, experience, and academics. Without him, who would Williams have even gone against in practice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk89m6rp4JY

BD80
03-24-2020, 09:13 PM
Can Tape be our glue?

devildeac
03-24-2020, 09:50 PM
Can Tape be our glue?

Welcome!

He's very likely to stick closely to his opponents while playing D.

And, of course, seal off the defender while he's playing down low.

(I'm done. I swear it. For now.)

proelitedota
03-24-2020, 09:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Ags60fr.png

He is going to get minutes.

sagegrouse
03-24-2020, 09:54 PM
Welcome!

His photographic memory will, ummm, record every play.

Bluedog
03-24-2020, 09:55 PM
Welcome to Duke! We were definitely light on the frontcourt so good to get another body there who could go to work.

So, if I'm counting correctly we're at 14 scholarships currently for next year. I assume Carey is going pro which brings us to 13...Do I have my numbers right? (Buckmire as a former walk on could also go off scholly if needed I assume.)

scottdude8
03-24-2020, 09:59 PM
Welcome to Duke! We were definitely light on the frontcourt so good to get another body there who could go to work.

So, if I'm counting correctly we're at 14 scholarships currently for next year. I assume Carey is going pro which brings us to 13...Do I have my numbers right? (Buckmire as a former walk on could also go off scholly if needed I assume.)

Buckmire has a scholy right now, right? Since he was a walk on would there be a scenario where they ask him to give his scholarship back? Obviously not the kindest thing to do, but maybe if it meant Vernon coming back... a man can dream, haha.

UrinalCake
03-24-2020, 10:06 PM
Buckmire has a scholy right now, right? Since he was a walk on would there be a scenario where they ask him to give his scholarship back? Obviously not the kindest thing to do, but maybe if it meant Vernon coming back... a man can dream, haha.

My understanding is that's how "preferred walk-on" status works. If the school has a scholarship available they may offer it to you, but it's on a year-to-year basis and nothing is guaranteed.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-24-2020, 10:18 PM
Duke gets it's Ivy League grad transfer. Tape is a 6'10" C from Charlotte and played 4 years at Columbia University in NYC. He is coming home to North Carolina (and donning a much better shade of blue, I might add).

Definitely a better shade of blue - I am emeritus Columbia faculty and, in all of the years I've been here, never went to a bball game simply because I could not root for THAT shade of blue

CDu
03-24-2020, 10:20 PM

Walk-ons are not guaranteed scholarships. If there is one left over, they get it. But they signed on to be there without scholarship, so no scholarship is the expectation.

DU82
03-24-2020, 10:20 PM

Nothing wrong with the original color, it’s the copycats/ripoffs down the road that’s the problem.

(If my dad had ever posted here, he would have been CU50.)

Duke79UNLV77
03-24-2020, 10:40 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Ags60fr.png

He is going to get minutes.

1 for 1 on 3s! Could he be the next Marshall Plumlee?!

jimsumner
03-24-2020, 10:42 PM
I've been predicting a grad-student transfer for five years.

So, I guess I'm at the Mendoza line.

But this is the wave of the future and I suspect Tape is the first of many.

And about time. Because it's the wave of the future and all.

miramar
03-24-2020, 10:58 PM
1 for 1 on 3s! Could he be the next Marshall Plumlee?!

How is 1 for 1 99.9%?

Bluedog
03-24-2020, 10:59 PM
How is 1 for 1 99.9%?

I noticed the same thing. I'm sure kenpom does that for some reason... Perhaps such a small sample calculating it as 100% messes up his algorithm as it relates to other calcs/figures.

curtis325
03-24-2020, 11:11 PM
I found a highlight video. He looks pretty good against Ivy League opponents. Reasonably mobile and can initiate from outside the paint. Actually kind of reminds me of Vernon Carey how he seals his man or goes right into and through his defender, though obviously his level of competition has been much lower. Would love to get 15mpg out of him. Sounds like a great addition in terms of his size, ability, experience, and academics. Without him, who would Williams have even gone against in practice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk89m6rp4JY

Give him the ball--he never misses!

Dukehk
03-25-2020, 02:33 AM
Welcome to Duke Patrick Tape!!!

roywhite
03-25-2020, 06:55 AM

Just checked with local officials at LJVM in Winston-Salem, and they said he'll begin the 2021 game with 2 fouls.

TKG
03-25-2020, 07:25 AM
Oh, great, another one-and-done!

accfanfrom1970
03-25-2020, 07:29 AM
Oh, great, another one-and-done!

Now that’s funny.

Indoor66
03-25-2020, 08:06 AM
Welcome!

I am sure he can wrap them up.

I think he should be called either Scotch of Duct.

Saratoga2
03-25-2020, 08:06 AM
Great news. Tape gives us some more versatility and options inside. We appear to have a lot of options on the perimeter, so it is nice to now have options inside.

We have been hoping for a second big man and Tape fills the bill. I think he will get PT on the team.

Tripping William
03-25-2020, 08:16 AM

He'll certainly help in masking some of our frontcourt flaws.

miramar
03-25-2020, 08:22 AM
What are the people at Columbia Basketball Report saying?

I hope they’re not like the folks at Inside Carolina.

heyman25
03-25-2020, 08:22 AM
We have been hoping for a second big man and Tape fills the bill. I think he will get PT on the team. He seems like a more sure handed version of Javin DeLaurier. He also finishes around the basket. Very good addition. I am still hoping for Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore to return.Cassius Stanley unlikely,but if he returns Duke will have a lot of firepower on offense.All our returnees will know what they need to do on defense.

TKG
03-25-2020, 08:36 AM
What are the people at Columbia Basketball Report saying.

The three of them are sheltering in place.

devildeac
03-25-2020, 08:37 AM
He'll certainly help in masking some of our frontcourt flaws.

(I gotta get up earlier in the morning; beat me to it.)

I'm packing it in today.

budwom
03-25-2020, 08:53 AM

Perhaps the reason we're getting one now is that the whole grad transfer thing is getting a lot more publicity, and evidently (as a result?) Tape sat out last year expressly to have this option....

jv001
03-25-2020, 09:06 AM
In the video the young man seems to use both hands in finishing near the basket and it looks like he can put the ball on floor and get to the basket. He has good size as well. Welcome Mr. Tape.

GoDuke!

lotusland
03-25-2020, 09:10 AM

I'm packing it in today.

We’re certainly not adhering to past principles. I just hope we’re not plumbing the depths of the Ivey league for help in the post.

BD80
03-25-2020, 09:21 AM

I'm packing it in today.

I hear he is a great storyteller: Tale of the Tape.

He is a fantastic dancer: Tape Worm.

He carries around his own cinder blocks: Tape Measure.

He hunts from blinds: Duck Tape.

dukelifer
03-25-2020, 09:40 AM
What are the people at Columbia Basketball Report saying?

I hope they’re not like the folks at Inside Carolina.

This has been known for year that he was saving his eligibility.

-jk
03-25-2020, 09:40 AM

the Duckie Dukie

-jk

dukelifer
03-25-2020, 09:41 AM

Another form of one and done.

Indoor66
03-25-2020, 09:43 AM

I think you mean "duct" tape. 🥴

BD80
03-25-2020, 09:55 AM
I think you mean "duct" tape. 🥴

It was actually first called Duck tape due to its amphibious nature (it could go left, it could go right), before its use on ductwork.

DavidBenAkiva
03-25-2020, 10:06 AM

The current roster for 2020-21, as best I can tell:

SR: Buckmire (Walk-On) Goldwire, Tape (Grad Transfer)
JR: Baker
SO: Carey, Hurt, Moore, Stanley
FR: Brakefield, Coleman, Johnson, Roach, Steward, Severino (Walk-On), Williams, Worthington (Walk-On)

That's 13 scholarship players and 3 redshirt walk-on players. I assume Carey is gone, which brings the number to 12 scholarships. Stanley is most likely gone, too, so more like 11 scholarship with 3 walk-ons. Buckmire and Worthington will probably get a scholarship for the season. I hear Severino comes from money and his family can afford it.

If this is how things shape out, I really, really like this roster. It's 2 deep at every position with tons of athletic wings. It reminds me a lot of the 2018-19 squad but without high-end talent of Williamson, Barrett, and Reddish. What is has is a slew of athletic wings. Duke can and should switch every screen 2 through 4. There's experience at the PG and C positions as well as 5 star players at all the spots on the floor. There is shooting, there is height, there is length. It's a great roster, one of the more complete ones I have seen recently. Now hopefully a few of the lineups work out and we all get to enjoy watching this team come November.

UrinalCake
03-25-2020, 10:11 AM
Another positive aspect of this commitment is that Hurt will likely never have to play the 5, unless we’re intentionally going with a small lineup. Prior to Tape’s commitment I would have to imagine that was a concern of Hurt’s, and that it would negatively affect him like when Singler had to play the 5 his freshman year. Having two true centers on the roster, both of whom could hopefully be good defenders, is just what the doctor ordered for Hurt.

-jk
03-25-2020, 10:22 AM
So is it Tape or Tapé?

-jk

Truth&Justise
03-25-2020, 10:38 AM
So is it Tape or Tapé?

Answer:

And the best use in a sentence so far:

-jk
03-25-2020, 10:57 AM
So is it Tape or Tapé?

Answer:

And the best use in a sentence so far:

I was actually wondering about the spelling - with or without the accent. I've seen it both ways. But I do like the last one, too.

-jk

Rich
03-25-2020, 11:43 AM
I was actually wondering about the spelling - with or without the accent. I've seen it both ways. But I do like the last one, too.

-jk

:confused: ;)

CrazyNotCrazie
03-25-2020, 11:51 AM

-jk

On the Columbia web site it has the accent aigu, for what that's worth.

https://gocolumbialions.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/patrick-tap-/10318

szstark
03-25-2020, 12:40 PM
It was actually first called Duck tape due to its amphibious nature (it could go left, it could go right), before its use on ductwork.

... just like Charles Shackleford ...

jimsumner
03-25-2020, 12:45 PM
Perhaps the reason we're getting one now is that the whole grad transfer thing is getting a lot more publicity, and evidently (as a result?) Tape sat out last year expressly to have this option...

Keep in mind that Cut brought in three this season after bringing in only one prior to this season. Duke football also lost a boatload of players to the grad-student transfer portal. More players opt to become grad-student transfers, which leads to more openings for grad-student transfers. Off-seasons are going to become much more fluid and much more interesting, with a much less clear end date.

budwom
03-25-2020, 01:04 PM
Keep in mind that Cut brought in three this season after bringing in only one prior to this season. Duke football also lost a boatload of players to the grad-student transfer portal. More players opt to become grad-student transfers, which leads to more openings for grad-student transfers. Off-seasons are going to become much more fluid and much more interesting, with a much less clear end date.

yes, I believe that was my point....

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-25-2020, 02:48 PM

I've heard that his sister, Cassette, is interested in playing for the women.
Love, Ima

jimsumner
03-25-2020, 02:56 PM
yes, I believe that was my point...

To which I was elaborating.

Ultrarunner
03-25-2020, 03:03 PM

For a guy in the post?
Painter, all day.

Neals384
03-26-2020, 11:27 AM
On the Columbia web site it has the accent aigu, for what that's worth.

https://gocolumbialions.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/patrick-tap-/10318

Technical note: on Windows computers, you can type an é by holding down the Alt key while you hit 130 on the number pad. Tapé!

sagegrouse
03-26-2020, 11:38 AM
Technical note: on Windows computers, you can type an é by holding down the Alt key while you hit 130 on the number pad. Tapé!

Wow! It works! Is their a dictionary of such codes easily available?

Jaks19
03-26-2020, 11:43 AM
Tape' is listed at 6-10 232, but it will be interesting to see if that the year away from hoops and in the weight room, if he is a tab stronger now and added some more weight.
In looking at his game, some things stand out to me.
1. He can score and is capable around the basket with either hand. That's a plus for Duke. Although he may not be asked or needed to score much, him being capable is a good thigs.
2. He's an average rebounder by his totals. I wonder if that is positioning or being pushed around in the paint. Duke will need him to be a good rebounder because there is going to be some bigs that are very good on the glass next year.
3. He averages a block per game

Overall, I think he will be solid next year and will or might give more than Jav did offensively.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-26-2020, 01:03 PM

Thanks for sharing - good to know. We need a list of ACC players who have had a symbol in their name - the only other one I can think of is Henrik Rodl (I googled how to type an umlaut over an o and it is apparently alt-0246 but it doesn't seem to work here).

House P
03-26-2020, 01:34 PM
2. He's an average rebounder by his totals. I wonder if that is positioning or being pushed around in the paint. Duke will need him to be a good rebounder because there is going to be some bigs that are very good on the glass next year.
3. He averages a block per game

It can be tricky to project Ivy league stats to the ACC* and Tape's rebounding numbers are a bit "mixed". As you point out, his rebounding rate was fairly average in 2019, his most recent season. That year his offensive rebound rate ranked 141 out of 280 Division 1 players 6'9" or taller. His defensive rebound rate was a bit better, ranking 101 out of 280. He was a much better rebounder in 2018. That season, his offensive rebound rate ranked 6 out of 276 Division 1 players 6'9" or taller and his defensive rebound rate ranked 125.

As far as blocking shots, he ranked 64 in 2019 and 41 in 2018.

*Keep in mind that Sean Obi had the second highest defensive rebound rate in the entire country during his Freshman season at Rice.

BD80
03-26-2020, 01:42 PM
If Patrick is caught in reverie, staring into the distance: Gauze Tape?

Upon entering his specialty after med school: Surgical Tape.

When talking on his mobile device: Cellophone Tape?

Tripping William
03-26-2020, 01:50 PM

I wonder what Jose Fonseca will do to Patrick's ankle if Patrick rolls it slightly . . . .

devildeac
03-26-2020, 01:52 PM
I wonder what Jose Fonseca will do to Patrick's ankle if Patrick rolls it slightly . . . .

Start a vigil?

:rolleyes:

BD80
03-26-2020, 01:59 PM
When our coaches were doing their due diligence on Patrick, reviewing the videos of past games, did they watch the Tape Tape?

Tripping William
03-26-2020, 02:17 PM
When our coaches were doing their due diligence on Patrick, reviewing the videos of past games, did they watch the Tape Tape?

If Patrick is tardy, is that a Tape delay?

BoiseDevil
03-26-2020, 02:32 PM
Yes, the emphasis is on PAY, as in, PAY YOUR RENT!

Crazies after block:

Why’d you come? TO PAY YOUR RENT!

sleepybear
03-26-2020, 03:34 PM
I hear Patrick is a very hard worker, a real Tapé personality. :D

jv001
03-26-2020, 04:47 PM

Then it will be as someone posted, hell to Tape. :cool:

GoDuke!

UrinalCake
03-26-2020, 04:56 PM

Just search for extended ASCII character codes.

Furniture
03-26-2020, 05:45 PM

Happy that someone got these clips on Tape.

lotusland
03-26-2020, 07:05 PM
I've heard that his sister, Cassette, is interested in playing for the women.
Love, Ima

Older sister. She played in the 80s following in her her uncle 8-Track’s footsteps.

MChambers
03-26-2020, 08:08 PM
Older sister. She played in the 80s following in her her uncle 8-Track’s footsteps.

8-Track played back when all games were divided into quarters.

Jaks19
03-27-2020, 12:13 PM
I once thought, like most of us as fans, that the 5 would be Duke's weak spot next year. Although there are still a lot of question marks about how each player might perform, I do feel that Duke does not have players that can play the 5.
Tape': 6-10 232 SR will add maturity, some experience and he is capable on the offensive end of things.
Williams: 7-0 225 FR will add that long shot blocking rim protector and rebounder as those are said to be his strengths.
Coleman: 6-8 240 FR is the heaviest and most likely the strongest of the group and he has a motor and is a determined rebounder.

Put that all together and if Duke is able to get 15ppg 12 rebounds and some blocks that would make up for what Duke loses as post productions from this year. Not to mention 15 fouls

jv001
03-27-2020, 04:14 PM
I once thought, like most of us as fans, that the 5 would be Duke's weak spot next year. Although there are still a lot of question marks about how each player might perform, I do feel that Duke does not have players that can play the 5.
Tape': 6-10 232 SR will add maturity, some experience and he is capable on the offensive end of things.
Williams: 7-0 225 FR will add that long shot blocking rim protector and rebounder as those are said to be his strengths.
Coleman: 6-8 240 FR is the heaviest and most likely the strongest of the group and he has a motor and is a determined rebounder.

Put that all together and if Duke is able to get 15ppg 12 rebounds and some blocks that would make up for what Duke loses as post productions from this year. Not to mention 15 fouls

Was that a typo and should have been now? :cool:

GoDuke!

luvdahops
03-27-2020, 05:41 PM

I suspect that a modestly bulked up Hurt will see some time as the nominal center in small ball / five out lineups, and perhaps in tight end of game situations as well

lotusland
03-27-2020, 05:57 PM
I suspect that a modestly bulked up Hurt will see some time as the nominal center in small ball / five out lineups, and perhaps in tight end of game situations as well

I think he’ll need to play the 5 some if Hurt, Roach, Cash, Wendell, and Johnson are the “Best 5”. Assuming JGold, Steward, Williams and Tape are in the rotation it will be hard to get those five 25-30 MPG otherwise. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if JGold and Roach split the PG minutes almost evenly. It that shouldn’t effect Hurt much.

proelitedota
03-27-2020, 06:16 PM
6'9, 230+lb Jaemyn Brakesfield is my preferred choice for center. With him and Jalen in the post, it'll be confusing for teams and fans.

Neals384
03-27-2020, 08:29 PM

Try this one on wiki. For each character, the Windows Alt code is the third line of the table entry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437

This only covers the 256 ASCII characters. If we ever get a player from Russia, for example, then we'll have to learn how to type the Unicode for Cyrillic characters.

-jk
03-27-2020, 10:56 PM
Try this one on wiki. For each character, the Windows Alt code is the third line of the table entry.

This only covers the 256 ASCII characters. If we ever get a player from Russia, for example, then we'll have to learn how to type the Unicode for Cyrillic characters.

As a reminder, I think this technique only works using the number pad, not the numbers above the letters. (Though there's probably some oddball keyboard that does it the other way...)

-jk

devildeac
03-27-2020, 11:02 PM
As a reminder, I think this technique only works using the number pad, not the numbers above the letters. (Though there's probably some oddball keyboard that does it the other way...)

-jk

I just tried it on the number pad and was successful, not so much this AM with the second technique. (But, then again, I'm no Pinball, err, computer wizard :o.)

moonpie23
03-27-2020, 11:51 PM
Welcome to the party, pal!!!!

Fish80
03-28-2020, 10:13 AM
I just tried it on the number pad and was successful, not so much this AM with the second technique. (But, then again, I'm no Pinball, err, computer wizard :o.)

In some environments, a lower case x followed immediately by an opening parenthesis, x( yields an exploding head.

sagegrouse
03-28-2020, 10:41 AM

Thanks. Works fine for DBR messages. I'll check other text formats.

Nugget
03-28-2020, 02:51 PM
Jeff Goodman has a "scout's take" on Patrick's game:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1242606386606997505/photo/1

DukieInBrasil
03-28-2020, 03:40 PM
Jeff Goodman has a "scout's take" on Patrick's game:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1242606386606997505/photo/1

that sounds kinda like exactly what we're expecting next year''s team will need (if in fact, any b-ball gets played). Even if he ends up just playing a Javin-esque mentor to young studs role, that has value too. Although Javin frustrated many fans, myself included, since his amazing physical tools didn't really turn into the productivity many salivated over, his presence on the team was important. If Patrick produces roughly what Javin did as a Sr. (~4pts & 4 rebs pg), along with good leadership, then that will be seen as a successful use of the grad-school transfer rule for Duke basketball, any production beyond that is pure gold.

jimsumner
03-28-2020, 04:19 PM
that sounds kinda like exactly what we're expecting next year''s team will need (if in fact, any b-ball gets played). Even if he ends up just playing a Javin-esque mentor to young studs role, that has value too. Although Javin frustrated many fans, myself included, since his amazing physical tools didn't really turn into the productivity many salivated over, his presence on the team was important. If Patrick produces roughly what Javin did as a Sr. (~4pts & 4 rebs pg), along with good leadership, then that will be seen as a successful use of the grad-school transfer rule for Duke basketball, any production beyond that is pure gold.

I would expect Tape to be more productive than DeLaurier, not necessarily because he's better but because the context will be different. DeLaurier shared time at the center spot with a consensus All-American and national freshman of the year. Tape will be sharing time at center with a freshman whom one can reasonably expect to be less productive than Carey.

Hence more minutes for Tape, which hopefully leads to more points, rebounds and blocks.

That said, I'd take 8, 6 and 1 in a heartbeat.

devildeac
03-28-2020, 04:52 PM
I would expect Tape to be more productive than DeLaurier, not necessarily because he's better but because the context will be different. DeLaurier shared time at the center spot with a consensus All-American and national freshman of the year. Tape will be sharing time at center with a freshman whom one can reasonably expect to be less productive than Carey.

Hence more minutes for Tape, which hopefully leads to more points, rebounds and blocks.

Don't forget those all important 4-5 fouls, too...

:rolleyes:;)

JasonEvans
03-30-2020, 12:42 AM

On the pod I predicted 7-8, 5-6 rebs and a block per game. That would be huge for Duke.

lotusland
03-30-2020, 07:02 AM
I think Tape’s impact will depend on whether he is ahead of Williams in the rotation and on how much Hurt can play center. If Hurt is good for 10 mpg at center and Tape is behind Williams, he could have a very Jav like impact. I also think Stanley’s decision will impact Hurt’s role. Hurt is a traditional 4 like Ferry and Ryan whereas Johnson projects as a Tatum/Ingram stretch 4. If Moore and Stanley play 30 mpg each at 2/3, that pushes Johnson to the 4 and Hurt to the 5. Who wins out between Tape and Williams is a toss up imo. I’d give Tape the advantage early based on experience.

Saratoga2
03-30-2020, 07:34 AM
I think Tape’s impact will depend on whether he is ahead of Williams in the rotation and on how much Hurt can play center. If Hurt is good for 10 mpg at center and Tape is behind Williams, he could have a very Jav like impact. I also think Stanley’s decision will impact Hurt’s role. Hurt is a traditional 4 like Ferry and Ryan whereas Johnson projects as a Tatum/Ingram stretch 4. If Moore and Stanley play 30 mpg each at 2/3, that pushes Johnson to the 4 and Hurt to the 5. Who wins out between Tape and Williams is a toss up imo. I’d give Tape the advantage early based on experience.

Others are predicting Coleman in that role, perhaps even as a starter. It just points out the position is really open to all three at this point. Having options is great to lessen the old injury bug (foot injuries) and the propensity of freshmen to foul.

Jaks19
03-30-2020, 11:48 AM
Tape' fills a positional need. He has NCAA D1 experiences and has played against some big conference players. But how he does after taking a year off and transitioning from Ivy League to ACC is to be seen.

From all accounts, as a JR he posted a pretty good PPG average, yet a, "ok" RPG average and he did alter shots.

Now what has he done in that season off? He is listed anywhere from 220-232. What will he show up to Duke at?

He has a similar body to Jav. He looks to be more confident and more polished as a post scorer than Jav, but can he be a decent defender or will he be 5 quick fouls like Jav

Kedsy
03-30-2020, 12:54 PM
...but can he be a decent defender or will he be 5 quick fouls like Jav

Javin was an outstanding defender, one of Duke's top defenders for three years. I'll be very surprised if Patrick can defend as well as Javin did.

Also, Javin only got 5 fouls in three games out of 31 this season. He had fewer fouls per 40 minutes than everybody's favorite minor deity, Brian Zoubek, did as a senior in 2010.

Kedsy
03-30-2020, 01:59 PM
Others are predicting Coleman in that role, perhaps even as a starter.

If I'm not mistaken, one not-particularly-well-regarded blogger has suggested Henry Coleman will start or play big minutes. It doesn't really point out anything. Although I am a bit surprised that you've given up on Keenan Worthington as a rotation player.

jwillfan
03-30-2020, 02:43 PM
Apologies if this was already posted, and sorry again that it's paywalled - but a good article about Tape and his recruitement:

https://theathletic.com/1709291/2020/03/30/when-duke-called-grad-transfer-patrick-tape-knew-it-was-the-spot-for-him/

Kedsy
03-30-2020, 04:44 PM

I agree Patrick should get more opportunity next season than Javin got this season. I'd probably expect him to be more productive on offense on a per 40 basis. Not sure about rebounding and defensive stats, though.

Patrick only played 6 games against Big-6 competition in his three years at Columbia. His two strongest such games (by far) came in 2109 against lower division teams (BC, 5-13 in the ACC; Northwestern, 4-16 in the Big 10). He didn't perform so well against middle- or upper-tier teams, though those four games all came in 2017 and 2018, so his better 2019 performances might show maturity and improvement, rather than simply feasting on lesser Big-6 opponents. That said, in the aforementioned six games, Patrick averaged 17.8 mpg, and scored 8.5 ppg with 3.0 rpg, 0.0 apg, 0.67 bpg, 0.33 spg, 1.7 TOpg, and 4.0 PFpg.

Here are Patrick's per 40 minute numbers in the six games (usual caveat about low sample size), compared to Javin DeLaurier's career per 40 minute numbers against the ACC (league games only):

Player pp40 rp40 ap40 bp40 sp40 TOp40 PFp40 FG% FT%
Tape 19.1 6.8 0.0 1.5 0.7 3.8 9.0 74.2% 83.3%
DeLaurier 9.8 10.0 0.9 2.7 1.8 2.2 7.1 65.3% 60.4%

Looking at these numbers, when up against Big-6 competition, he appears to be much better at scoring but significantly worse than Javin at rebounding and defensive stats. And those who were hoping for someone who turned it over less than Javin and/or doesn't foul so much may be disappointed.

House P
03-30-2020, 06:14 PM
I agree Patrick should get more opportunity next season than Javin got this season. I'd probably expect him to be more productive on offense on a per 40 basis. Not sure about rebounding and defensive stats, though.

Patrick only played 6 games against Big-6 competition in his three years at Columbia. His two strongest such games (by far) came in 2109 against lower division teams (BC, 5-13 in the ACC; Northwestern, 4-16 in the Big 10).

Good idea to look at Tape's performance vs major conference opponents. Thanks for posting this.

FWIW, it looks like you may have missed Columbia's game vs Rutgers during the 2018-19 season. If so, this adds another game where Tape was solid offensively (15 pts on 6-8 FG shooting in 28 min), but mediocre at best in other statistical categories (4 reb, 4 TO, 3 fouls, 0 blk, 0 ast).

AZLA
03-30-2020, 06:42 PM
Tape looks strong and tough. Been enjoying watching his videos. Also excited for Mark Williams too. Duke will be stout in the paint.

Kedsy
03-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Good idea to look at Tape's performance vs major conference opponents. Thanks for posting this.

FWIW, it looks like you may have missed Columbia's game vs Rutgers during the 2018-19 season. If so, this adds another game where Tape was solid offensively (15 pts on 6-8 FG shooting in 28 min), but mediocre at best in other statistical categories (4 reb, 4 TO, 3 fouls, 0 blk, 0 ast).

Yeah, I did miss Rutgers. Forgot they were in a major conference. They were also pretty low in the Big 10 standings (7-13 record), so we still don't know if his strong offensive performances in 2019 were due to him being a much improved player or because he was playing bottom-feeding Big-6 teams.

Below are updated per 40 minute numbers in Patrick's seven games against Big-6 competition (usual caveat about low sample size), compared to Javin DeLaurier's career per 40 minute numbers against the ACC (league games only). Doesn't change much in the analysis.

Player pp40 rp40 ap40 bp40 sp40 TOp40 PFp40 FG% FT%
Tape 19.6 6.5 0.0 1.2 0.9 4.1 8.0 74.4% 80.0%
DeLaurier 9.8 10.0 0.9 2.7 1.8 2.2 7.1 65.3% 60.4%

Billy Dat
04-02-2020, 01:33 PM
There are rumblings about this transfer not being 100% hitting the social media universe today. Anyone heard the same?

@AdamRoweTDD
Duke Basketball grad transfer in question? https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/duke-basketball-patrick-tape-grad-transfer-145638825/ via
@TheDevilsDen

jaywilliams22
04-02-2020, 02:17 PM
And it is official....

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1245777127116541959?s=20

mattman91
04-02-2020, 02:21 PM
And it is official...

Alrighty then 👌

JasonEvans
04-02-2020, 02:24 PM
And it is official...

I see this as evidence that Hurt is coming back or that Duke realized Henry Coleman will be a solid contributor from day one (not sure how that second part could happen given that everyone is homebound at the moment).

DUKIE V(A)
04-02-2020, 02:29 PM
I see this as evidence that Hurt is coming back or that Duke realized Henry Coleman will be a solid contributor from day one (not sure how that second part could happen given that everyone is homebound at the moment).

Or Vernon wanting a shot at a Natty. 😆

proelitedota
04-02-2020, 02:30 PM
That was fast!

How long was Carrick Felix committed for?

I wonder why Tape didn't stick with us.

budwom
04-02-2020, 02:31 PM

I haven't seen any evidence that he decommitted due to a change in Duke's expected roster, but maybe you're right...Coleman's presence is nothing new, of course...Occam's razor, sometimes a kid just changes his mind...

Can't really see Hurt being much of a threat to PT for a traditional post guy...

flyingdutchdevil
04-02-2020, 02:33 PM

Yeah. I think you're right.

If that's the case, I'd rather have a sophomore Hurt thanI a senior Tape.

It still hurts our depth at the 5, but maybe Hurt really can put on 10+ lbs and play 5-10 minutes there.

Sucks, but I think this is great news for Moore/Hurt decisions.

Jaks19
04-02-2020, 02:34 PM
When do you think we might hear from Hurt

MChambers
04-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Shades of Kris Humphries!

Jaks19
People really think Carey is coming back? I find that highly unlikely.

Hingeknocker
It doesn't seem right that this is based on Hurt, Coleman, or Williams. Obviously 2 of those guys were known knowns when Tapé committed, and Duke was surely telling Tapé there was a chance Hurt would return. Now, if this has something to do with Carey... (I don't think this is the case. But it's the only player-related thing that does make sense.)

My actual guess is that with summer school and even the start of the school year completely in flux, the Duke coaches were pretty honest with Tapé about his chances to integrate into the system and earn minutes. It was going to be an uphill climb for him anyway, and maybe he decided that for his final year of eligibility he'd prefer to go somewhere with an easier adjustment period. My speculation, anyway.

CDu
04-02-2020, 02:38 PM
I guess it could always be that Tape just had a change of heart. But it certainly seems like this means Hurt is returning. I feel like Hurt's best position - especially with the arrival of Johnson and (to a lesser extent) Brakefield - is at center. Granted, his lack of rebounding would be a concern. But from a mobility perspective, it seemed like he was effective in only a very select set of matchups last year.

Hopefully, if he does return, he can get more functional strength and contribute at the 5. It would make us much more dynamic offensively if he can be adequate defensively at center.

JasonEvans
04-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Felix committed on 3/16/2010

We got word he would not come to Duke on 5/24/2010... more than two months later. Tape's whirlwind appears to have been much quicker.

flyingdutchdevil
04-02-2020, 02:40 PM
I guess it could always be that Tape just had a change of heart. But it certainly seems like this means Hurt is returning. I feel like Hurt's best position - especially with the arrival of Johnson and (to a lesser extent) Brakefield - is at center. Granted, his lack of rebounding would be a concern. But from a mobility perspective, it seemed like he was effective in only a very select set of matchups last year.

Hopefully, if he does return, he can get more functional strength and contribute at the 5. It would make us much more dynamic offensively if he can be adequate defensively at center.

Not just lack of rebounding, but lack of weight, lack of toughness, lack of instinct in the paint.

Hurt has potential. He just needs maximum maturation.

Jaks19
04-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Jason, you have any legit guess to why?

JasonEvans
04-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Jason, you have any legit guess to why?

Like I said, I think this means Hurt is telling folks close to the program that he is coming back. As a result, Tape's prospect for minutes was greatly diminished as I suspect Hurt will be the "5" in Coach K's positionless lineup more than 25 minutes per game. Williams will likely suck up a lot of the other post minutes and there just won't be that much left for Tape.

I would guess that when Duke started recruiting Tape, we thought Hurt would leave.

-Jason "it is also possible Tape merely changed his mind and wanted to go somewhere else... it is not like he had arrived on campus to see how beautiful it was yet" Evans

Jaks19
04-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Thanks Jason. I could see Hurt coming back as a reason.

This has nothing to do with Carey?

dukelifer
04-02-2020, 02:50 PM
And it is official...

Already miss that guy. What could have been.

Natty_B
04-02-2020, 02:56 PM
Things like this might be more common in the COVID-19 recruitment era where a dude doesn't even step onto a campus before "committing."

superdave
04-02-2020, 03:02 PM
Already miss that guy. What could have been.

Once in a generation type of commitment.

mattman91
04-02-2020, 03:06 PM
None and done.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Things like this might be more common in the COVID-19 recruitment era where a dude doesn't even step onto a campus before "committing."

I generally agree with you completely with regards to most transfers. Though in this case, given that he is from Charlotte, one would think that he could have taken the ride over the Durham, walked around the campus a bit, said hi to important people from 6-feet away, and gotten at least a feel for things. An empty campus is very different from what it is like when other students are there, but it is better than nothing, and I'm sure the coaches would have spent the time with him - saying that, I wonder if the coaches made the trip to Charlotte to talk to him. Also, if Hurt returning or not was so critical to his decision, I would have gotten a better sense of that. There was no huge rush for Tape to commit and I don't think that Hurt's decision radically changed in the last week.

But most importantly, he is roughly 22 years old. I know plenty of people much older than he is who have changed their mind at the last second on big decisions, so he is allowed to also.

JasonEvans
04-02-2020, 03:07 PM

Look, I'm not going to pretend to have an inside line to the decisions of these players, but Vernon Carey coming back would be a huge shock. I can tell you that when I spoke to him at the McD game media session last spring he was already saying he was looking to be OAD.

Then again, Matthew Hurt told me the same thing and Wendell Moore said that if he could turn pro after a year, he would.

scottdude8
04-02-2020, 03:08 PM
Obviously, everything about this off season is going to have no precedent. Adding a grad-transfer was unprecedented, and now so is his quick departure.

I've held onto a sneaky suspicion that something unexpected might be going on behind the scenes for a little while now. I don't have any inside information, but this is based on reasonable interpretation of the way things have differed now from the recent past:

1) Duke never "officially" introduced Tape in any way, shape, or form. Typically that's the type of thing that the SID and social media team would hype up in some way (I honestly think that the quality of Duke's social media side of things is a recruiting influence, and could be an influence on the new transfer recruiting market... but I digress).
2) While in the recent past Duke has done a good job of organizing and clustering NBA Draft announcements, and doing so with the professional social media team behind it, we've heard nothing since Tre's decision was made public.

As people have mentioned, the most likely interpretation of this is something positive regarding Hurt's return. I don't think anything would have changed regarding our expectations of Williams... as many have mentioned, how the heck could anything have changed on that front when the program can't watch him play right now?

But I just don't see Hurt as a guy who can play center for prolonged minutes in the ACC. Even if the plan was for Hurt to play the 5 in some matchups, I don't think anyone would be comfortable with him playing there for 15-20 minutes a night against the type of post players you see in the ACC. Tape was coming into a scenario in which he would be almost guaranteed Javin-like PT, and would have every opportunity to earn more... I don't see Matthew Hurt changing the calculus there by more than a handful of MPG.

So you can call me crazy, but I think this could mean something about Vernon. Not necessarily that he's coming back, but that word went through the grapevine that he isn't "99%" out the door like we all expect. It's worth keeping in mind that a lot of early entrants have already made their announcements (https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/03/31/2020-nba-draft-early-entry-tracker/), including Tre. The guys who had their minds made up have more or less made those decisions known, with the one exception potentially being all the Kentucky guys (but that may be the exception that proves the rule, as I'm betting there will be some sort of "group" announcement from the Wildcats). For context, a quick look at the most recent mock on NBADraft.net (https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/) shows me that the only projected first rounders who haven't officially made an announcement are Cole (who had his "I'm announcing I'm not announcing" schtick), Jaden McDaniels (but that could be coming soon since his teammate Isaiah Stewart recently announced), Precoius Achiuwa, Jordan Nwora, and Kentucky's Immanuel Quickly. That's a relatively short list, made even shorter when you consider that Cole, McDaniels, and probably Nwora's decisions are all but decided.

Again, I am not saying I think Vernon is coming back. That would be crazy. But I think it's no longer "99%" that he's out the door. I'd now put the odds at more like 90-10... enough to give us a faint glimmer of hope that isn't completely crazy. Keep in mind, most of the recent mock drafts have him at the very end of the 1st round, and some even in the second (there's a whole thread on that). What if he and K are getting feedback that he needs to show more of an outside game to break into the lottery? I think it is now not outside the realm of possibility that he's seriously thinking about returning.

Call me insane if you must. I probably am. But I think this has to mean something more than "Matt is coming back".

Jaks19
04-02-2020, 03:14 PM
Kuminga reclass?

proelitedota
04-02-2020, 03:16 PM
Kuminga reclass?

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

scottdude8
04-02-2020, 03:16 PM
Kuminga reclass?

He's explicitly said that he isn't reclassifying (https://clutchpoints.com/2021-no-1-overall-prospect-jonathan-kuminga-not-reclassifying-recruitment-wide-open/), although obviously people's minds change.

Jaks19
04-02-2020, 03:28 PM
I get that but that was written in Oct 2019. Fast forward 6 months and things change.
1. He is not returning to his HS, St Patrick's
2. He will either have to transfer to another school probably one that is a prep school or he can try to graduate and reclass
3- Recruiting experts like Corey Evan's (Rivals) and Evan Daniel's (247) both expect him to reclass.

Now he and Duke might not be that strong that is true from all I have read

frb
04-02-2020, 03:35 PM
Obviously, everything about this off season is going to have no precedent. Adding a grad-transfer was unprecedented, and now so is his quick departure.

I've held onto a sneaky suspicion that something unexpected might be going on behind the scenes for a little while now. I don't have any inside information, but this is based on reasonable interpretation of the way things have differed now from the recent past:

1) Duke never "officially" introduced Tape in any way, shape, or form. Typically that's the type of thing that the SID and social media team would hype up in some way (I honestly think that the quality of Duke's social media side of things is a recruiting influence, and could be an influence on the new transfer recruiting market... but I digress).
2) While in the recent past Duke has done a good job of organizing and clustering NBA Draft announcements, and doing so with the professional social media team behind it, we've heard nothing since Tre's decision was made public.

As people have mentioned, the most likely interpretation of this is something positive regarding Hurt's return. I don't think anything would have changed regarding our expectations of Williams... as many have mentioned, how the heck could anything have changed on that front when the program can't watch him play right now?

But I just don't see Hurt as a guy who can play center for prolonged minutes in the ACC. Even if the plan was for Hurt to play the 5 in some matchups, I don't think anyone would be comfortable with him playing there for 15-20 minutes a night against the type of post players you see in the ACC. Tape was coming into a scenario in which he would be almost guaranteed Javin-like PT, and would have every opportunity to earn more... I don't see Matthew Hurt changing the calculus there by more than a handful of MPG.

So you can call me crazy, but I think this could mean something about Vernon. Not necessarily that he's coming back, but that word went through the grapevine that he isn't "99%" out the door like we all expect. It's worth keeping in mind that a lot of early entrants have already made their announcements (https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/03/31/2020-nba-draft-early-entry-tracker/), including Tre. The guys who had their minds made up have more or less made those decisions known, with the one exception potentially being all the Kentucky guys (but that may be the exception that proves the rule, as I'm betting there will be some sort of "group" announcement from the Wildcats). For context, a quick look at the most recent mock on NBADraft.net (https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/) shows me that the only projected first rounders who haven't officially made an announcement are Cole (who had his "I'm announcing I'm not announcing" schtick), Jaden McDaniels (but that could be coming soon since his teammate Isaiah Stewart recently announced), Precoius Achiuwa, Jordan Nwora, and Kentucky's Immanuel Quickly. That's a relatively short list, made even shorter when you consider that Cole, McDaniels, and probably Nwora's decisions are all but decided.

Again, I am not saying I think Vernon is coming back. That would be crazy. But I think it's no longer "99%" that he's out the door. I'd now put the odds at more like 90-10... enough to give us a faint glimmer of hope that isn't completely crazy. Keep in mind, most of the recent mock drafts have him at the very end of the 1st round, and some even in the second (there's a whole thread on that). What if he and K are getting feedback that he needs to show more of an outside game to break into the lottery? I think it is now not outside the realm of possibility that he's seriously thinking about returning.

Call me insane if you must. I probably am. But I think this has to mean something more than "Matt is coming back".

what if Tape jumped the gun? maybe duke wasn't ready to accept his commitment. extremely odd how the duke social media team didn't hype the commitment. they do hype better than anyone and they just decided not to say anything? Was Tape ever really coming to Duke or did he jump the gun and as a result got TONS of press .. now his name is more relevant than ever. He'll have more schools interested in him now than before he "committed" to Duke.

Rich
04-02-2020, 03:37 PM

Bad puns and insufficient use of the é in Tapé on DBR, starting with proelitedota. You let the whole team down! :rolleyes:

scottdude8
04-02-2020, 03:39 PM
what if Tape jumped the gun? maybe duke wasn't ready to accept his commitment. extremely odd how the duke social media team didn't hype the commitment. they do hype better than anyone and they just decided not to say anything? Was Tape ever really coming to Duke or did he jump the gun and as a result got TONS of press .. now his name is more relevant than ever. He'll have more schools interested in him now than before he "committed" to Duke.

That is also a very reasonable interpretation of things... I neglected the "he just changed his mind, he's a young man" possibility in my response just because I think that's too boring to analyze ;)

That said, I would think even that is a more likely interpretation of events than this having something to do with Matt. I was optimistic Matt returns prior to today, and my level of optimism on that front hasn't been changed by this news. I think it's very unlikely he transforms his body and game so much that he can play significant ACC minutes at the 5.

UrinalCake
04-02-2020, 03:56 PM
I'm on board with the idea that he make a quick decision as soon as Duke offered him, nobody is allowed to physically visit schools right now so it's a pretty crazy time, but after he had some time to think about it further he just changed his mind. A bit weird that a grad transfer would do that as compared to a high schooler, but our world is changing by the day so I'm not going to hold anyone to tightly to their decisions. Would love for it to be the case that Carey is returning and that's what caused the change, but that's a long shot.

How longer did Tyler Adams (of cinderblock fame) stay committed to us?

jimsumner
04-02-2020, 03:58 PM

[INDENT]1) Duke never "officially" introduced Tape in any way, shape, or form. Typically that's the type of thing that the SID and social media team would hype up in some way (I honestly think that the quality of Duke's social media side of things is a recruiting influence, and could be an influence on the new transfer recruiting market... but I digress).

Duke doesn't officially introduce players in any sport until they've signed a letter-of-intent. Not even an acknowledgment of commitment. Remember when K got into a spot of bother for mentioning Steward before the fall signing date?

Without giving away too much premium info the article on Tape on The Athletic made it pretty clear that Tape had an actionable offer.

scottdude8
04-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Duke doesn't officially introduce players in any sport until they've signed a letter-of-intent. Not even an acknowledgment of commitment. Remember when K got into a spot of bother for mentioning Steward before the fall signing date?

True true, but I was under the impression that transfers could make things official whenever they wanted... I thought I saw a lot of "official" looking announcements from programs about other transfers. Am I mistaken on that? Or perhaps Tape was in a unique situation since he hadn't officially graduated yet?

That's why I thought something was perhaps going on since there hadn't been an announcement, i.e. even though he publicly committed all the i's weren't dotted and t's weren't crossed...

uh_no
04-02-2020, 04:00 PM

he didn't think he could measure up.

Natty_B
04-02-2020, 04:05 PM

Without giving away too much premium info the article on Tape on The Athletic made it pretty clear that Tape had an actionable offer.

The Athletic article actually has an amusing anecdote about how Tape got his offer. So yes he did get one. I've found the guy who covers Duke for The Athletic, Brendan Marks, to be pretty pretty good. Also that article gives the impression Tape made the decision pretty quickly and in an environment that is strange at best so not a huge shock he changed his mind.

uh_no
04-02-2020, 04:07 PM

Or there is something going on out in the open called coronavirus.

Point one is addressed by Jim, and I imagine trying to put together media stuff for a player leaving for the draft is not high on the list of priorities right now for the department.

scottdude8
04-02-2020, 04:21 PM
Or there is something going on out in the open called coronavirus.

Point one is addressed by Jim, and I imagine trying to put together media stuff for a player leaving for the draft is not high on the list of priorities right now for the department.

Also entirely plausible. But they did put together a social media announcement for Tre, and have done little pieces for some of the players over the past week. So obviously the virus is a confound for every potential explanation, but it doesn't appear to be affecting the social-media arm of Duke Basketball at the moment.

Troublemaker
04-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Déja vu of Carrick Felix.

It's a cliché, but I never wanted Tapé, anyway. His game and resumé are blasé, and I would prefer to play the risqué* death lineup than something so passé as a traditional center like Tapé.

* Johnson Hurt inside. "Inside where?"

Bluedog
04-02-2020, 04:36 PM

True, but Duke's official instagram often acknowledges commitments with the video of Kyrie saying "Another one. Another one." So, they can't say anybody BY NAME, but it seems to be okay to acknowledge that there was a commitment by somebody made before the LOI is signed. They don't always do it though and didn't do it for Tape. Of course, this isn't meant to suggest that the article in The Athletic is wrong that Tape had an actionable offer; I'm sure it's reliable. Simply posting this to suggest that the social media team does sometimes acknowledge commitments in an "anonymous" way.

Jaks19
04-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Maybe all of the speculations are all part truths
Hurt returning
Stanlet returning
Tape'changing his mind

roge054
04-02-2020, 04:56 PM
That kid can cut a rug.

budwom
04-02-2020, 05:12 PM
Devils Den Premium has some new stuff on this...don't want to post their stuff here, but it would appear that Hurt has nothing to do with this change of course. There are reasons, but that isn't one of them. I trust their info on this.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-02-2020, 05:14 PM

No one knows! All will be made clear over time. Perhaps Tape learned in advance of all of us that college sports will not continue as we know it in the wake of COVID-19.

(This is a joke. I hope)

K's run of zero grad transfers remains in tact.

scottdude8
04-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Devils Den Premium has some new stuff on this...don't want to post their stuff here, but it would appear that Hurt has nothing to do with this change of course. There are reasons, but that isn't one of them. I trust their info on this.

Wow... could that be any more of a tease? ;)

Can you perhaps give us a timeline? So I can limit when I’m obsessively checking DBR and Twitter for news? Haha

Neals384
04-02-2020, 05:17 PM
That was fast!

True true, but I was under the impression that transfers could make things official whenever they wanted... I thought I saw a lot of "official" looking announcements from programs about other transfers. Am I mistaken on that? Or perhaps Tape was in a unique situation since he hadn't officially graduated yet?

That's why I thought something was perhaps going on since there hadn't been an announcement, i.e. even though he publicly committed all the i's weren't dotted and t's weren't crossed...

I guess we won't know what really happened until we see the tale of the tape.

Or is that talé of the Tapé ?

budwom
04-02-2020, 05:21 PM
Wow... could that be any more of a tease? ;)

Can you perhaps give us a timeline? So I can limit when I’m obsessively checking DBR and Twitter for news? Haha

I respect Devil's Den premium stuff as I'm sure you do...I don't buy 100% of what they have to say, but in this particular case I do, because someone whom I know to be well connected (and there aren't as many of these people as one might think) concurs. Doesn't change anything, the man ain't coming...but it does not appear to be Hurt related.

hallcity
04-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Maybe Tape asked Coach K if the scholarship would still be there for the 2021-22 season if there's no 2020-21 season due to Covid-19, the answer was "not necessarily" and Tape decided he'd better go elsewhere. Or maybe, Coach K asked Tape to commit to playing in 2021-22 if there no 2020-21 season, the answer was "not necessarily" and Coach K backed out.

There is no certainty about a 2020-21 CBB season. If there is one, it may start after the first of next year or even be in the summer of 2021.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-02-2020, 05:39 PM
Can we one day count him as a Dukie in the NBA?

scottdude8
04-02-2020, 05:43 PM
I respect Devil's Den premium stuff as I'm sure you do...I don't buy 100% of what they have to say, but in this particular case I do, because someone whom I know to be well connected (and there aren't as many of these people as one might think) concurs. Doesn't change anything, the man ain't coming...but it does not appear to be Hurt related.

Haha couldn’t hurt to try ;)

devildeac
04-02-2020, 06:11 PM
I guess we won't know what really happened until we see the tale of the tape.

Or is that talé of the Tapé ?

Meh, I'm rather blasé about it.

Truth&Justise
04-02-2020, 06:11 PM
Can we one day count him as a Dukie in the NBA?

Would love a custom Tapé jersey--if only we could figure out what his number would have been.

Atldukie79
04-02-2020, 06:26 PM
Maybe Carey is coming back :)

Jaks19
04-02-2020, 06:51 PM
Has there been any time frame for when Hurt announce his intention? Or even Stanley?
I'm assuming Carey is gone

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-02-2020, 07:07 PM
Has there been any time frame for when Hurt announce his intention? Or even Stanley?

No. No one knows

sagegrouse
04-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Maybe Carey is coming back :)

Has there been a time frame for the decision on whether the 2020-2021 season will take place?

Jaks19
04-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Ha. Nope

Bluedog
04-02-2020, 07:47 PM

I've heard it's academic related. A Columbia grad unfortunately could not quite cut the mustard for Duke admissions....

I keed, I keed. 😉

proelitedota
04-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Bad puns and insufficient use of the é in Tapé on DBR, starting with proelitedota. You let the whole team down! :rolleyes:

Didn't you get the communiqué? Good puns are passé.

Bay Area Duke Fan
04-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Has there been a time frame for the decision on whether the 2020-2021 season will take place?

Duke is selling tickets for Battle 4 Atlantis, which is scheduled for Nov 25-27. Travel packages are also being sold.

MChambers
04-02-2020, 07:58 PM
Duke is selling tickets for Battle 4 Atlantis, which is scheduled for Nov 25-27. Travel packages are also being sold.

Do the packages include cruise ships? Asking for a friend.

Indoor66
04-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Do the packages include cruise ships? Asking for a friend.

Better question is whether they come with cancelation insurance.

BD80
04-02-2020, 08:19 PM
Shades of Kris Humphries!

Does he also get a 6 week marriage to a Kardashian?

...but it does not appear to be Hurt related.

So removed the Tape with no Hurt involved?

Music man55
04-02-2020, 08:34 PM
Would love a custom Tapé jersey--if only we could figure out what his number would have been.

I guess his number would have been "-1", wouldn't it.

miramar
04-02-2020, 09:17 PM
Since when does Duke get stood up by a guy from a team that has gone to the NCAA Tournament all of three times?

plimnko
04-02-2020, 09:21 PM

I think the deadline to announce is April 26th. Then again.....I could be totally wrong

kako
04-02-2020, 10:43 PM
Tapé's renege is a little weird, but then these are weird times. It will be interesting if he ends up at the Orange, as they are scheduled to play at Cameron next year.

I saw the talk about Carey's potential influence here. I would be stunned, flabbergasted and floored if he came back. He has nothing more to prove draft-wise in this year's relatively weak draft. And next year's freshman class is better than this year's wrt NBA potential, and it's likely some upperclassmen will start to make their marks. There are a number of incoming big men that could pass Carey in the draft. Plus throw in that he won't have Jones getting him the ball - I'd like to think Roach will be great, but there's no guarantee. The only thing staying has going for it is Carey's desire to try again for a championship. But few Duke players (none?) that are at least 2nd team AA, ACC ROY, etc. have ever done so in the 1AD era. It's just not how they think.

What I would love to see is the transfer portal, but I understand that it's not public. Duke does need help in the post. Even if Hurt stays and bulks up, he's not a low post guy. Maybe Williams could be that guy, but though he's listed at 7 feet, he's also only 225 (by comparison, Carey is listed at 6-10 and 270). Duke needs a bruiser in the post, and maybe Johnson or Coleman can step up. But I'd be very happy to find a transfer with some experience... just hope it's not a repeat of Obi.

9F

CDu
04-02-2020, 10:59 PM
I think the deadline to announce is April 26th. Then again....I could be totally wrong

The deadline to enter is 60 days before the draft. If the draft remains June 25, then April 26 will be the deadline. No guarantee the draft stays on that date though.

Troublemaker
04-03-2020, 07:07 AM
But seriously, the fit with Tape wasn't great. If we're going to play two non-shooters in Wendell and Jalen a lot (and often together), which seems very likely, we don't need a center that's going to operate mostly around the basket to clog up the lane even more.

As an aside, Duke needs to increase how much we're valuing shooting when we recruit.

dukelifer
04-03-2020, 07:46 AM
But seriously, the fit with Tape wasn't great. If we're going to play two non-shooters in Wendell and Jalen a lot (and often together), which seems very likely, we don't need a center that's going to operate mostly around the basket to clog up the lane even more.

As an aside, Duke needs to increase how much we're valuing shooting when we recruit.

Yep. After watching Duke Maryland 2001 - yesterday - you realize the value of guys who can shoot the ball - and Duke never even exploited Boozer’s jumper.

Neals384
04-03-2020, 08:16 AM
Tapé's renege is a little weird, but then these are weird times. It will be interesting if he ends up at the Orange, as they are scheduled to play at Cameron next year.

I saw the talk about Carey's potential influence here. I would be stunned, flabbergasted and floored if he came back. He has nothing more to prove draft-wise in this year's relatively weak draft. And next year's freshman class is better than this year's wrt NBA potential, and it's likely some upperclassmen will start to make their marks. There are a number of incoming big men that could pass Carey in the draft. Plus throw in that he won't have Jones getting him the ball - I'd like to think Roach will be great, but there's no guarantee. The only thing staying has going for it is Carey's desire to try again for a championship. But few Duke players (none?) that are at least 2nd team AA, ACC ROY, etc. have ever done so in the 1AD era. It's just not how they think.

What I would love to see is the transfer portal, but I understand that it's not public. Duke does need help in the post. Even if Hurt stays and bulks up, he's not a low post guy. Maybe Williams could be that guy, but though he's listed at 7 feet, he's also only 225 (by comparison, Carey is listed at 6-10 and 270). Duke needs a bruiser in the post, and maybe Johnson or Coleman can step up. But I'd be very happy to find a transfer with some experience... just hope it's not a repeat of Obi.

9F

Here you go
https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/TransferPortal/

roywhite
04-03-2020, 08:19 AM
Yep. After watching Duke Maryland 2001 - yesterday - you realize the value of guys who can shoot the ball - and Duke never even exploited Boozer’s jumper.

Yeah, saw it yesterday also -- what an impressive performance. Just a different level when Duke teams had talent and experience. The teamwork on defense was impressive; Duke was relentless in overcoming the big Maryland lead. Shane Battier was great on both ends of the court.

camion
04-03-2020, 08:23 AM
Yeah, saw it yesterday also -- what an impressive performance. Just a different level when Duke teams had talent and experience. The teamwork on defense was impressive; Duke was relentless in overcoming the big Maryland lead. Shane Battier was great on both ends of the court.

Shane was like the Spanish Inquisition in that game. Just ask Baxter. :D

Natty_B
04-03-2020, 08:28 AM
Some schools ('Cuse is one) have been recruiting Tape since October. Duke literally had two phone calls with him. Maybe the more surprising thing was that he committed to Duke in the first place.

sagegrouse
04-03-2020, 08:28 AM

I was sitting in the tenth row behind Duke's 2nd half basket. The score was 16-38 Maryland, when Coach K called time-out. "Impressive performance" is not the term that came to mind.

MChambers
04-03-2020, 08:36 AM
I was sitting in the tenth row behind Duke's 2nd half basket. The score was 16-38 Maryland, when Coach K called time-out. "Impressive performance" is not the term that came to mind.

The rest of the game was pretty darned impressive, though, you gotta admit.

UrinalCake
04-03-2020, 08:40 AM
Sure, we’d all love a 7 footer who can drain threes and defend point guards in space while protecting the rim, but those players barely exist and certainly not at this point in the year. I think Tape was a perfect fit in terms of who we could realistically get.

Rickshaw
04-03-2020, 09:14 AM
Sure, we’d all love a 7 footer who can drain threes and defend point guards in space while protecting the rim, but those players barely exist and certainly not at this point in the year. I think Tape was a perfect fit in terms of who we could realistically get.

So Hurt is going to be our ‘ stretch five ‘ ?

Troublemaker
04-03-2020, 09:27 AM

The team can realistically add me to the roster as well but that doesn't mean I'd be a net positive. I think it's up in the air whether Tape would've been a net positive. If Duke actually has (and plays) much more shooting than we anticipate having (and playing), then yes, Tape could've been a net-positive add to the roster*. But, as is, I think Tape only served to block some creative, high-ceiling lineups that could cause opponents headaches.

(* For example, Steward-Baker-Stanley-Johnson-Tape is probably the minimal amount of shooting you need on the court for Tape to be net-positive).

So Hurt is going to be our ‘ stretch five ‘ ?

It's unclear whether Jalen or Matthew would be the primary 5 defender. It wouldn't surprise me if Jalen weighed more than Matthew currently, for example. Either way, the opposing team is going to hate having to stick their center on one of those two.

Jaks19
04-03-2020, 09:37 AM
I am not sure that K puts Hurt at the 5 to start games. A line up of Williams, Hurt (if he returns), Johnson, Moore and Roach allows Hurt to play inside and out with Williams taking the opposing 5 defensively. Also, DJ would be the scorer off the bench and Brakefield to come in off the bench which allows Duke to determine who is the best defensive matchups.

79-77
04-03-2020, 09:50 AM
IMHO, Occam's razor would indicate that Tape bailed because he thinks Hurt is staying. I realize that Tape's game differs substantially from Hurt's, but I think ultimately they would be competing for frontcourt minutes, and I think (and I think Tape thinks) that there will be materially fewer of those to go around if Hurt stays.

Troublemaker
04-03-2020, 09:57 AM
One thing many people are perhaps underestimating is just how bad a shooter Jalen Johnson is. Here are his combined junior and senior year stats from Maxpreps (https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jalen-johnson/MtYa_paPEeiAyNdjx8XCRA/basketball/stats.htm). (For those unaware, he only played a few games this season at Nicolet after leaving IMG, so it makes sense to increase the sample.)

https://i.imgur.com/XYzMhCK.png

27% from the shorter high school 3-pt line and, perhaps more tellingly, 61% from the FT line. Jalen just doesn't have touch from distance at this point, and it's very unlikely he can fix this in a summer.

Jalen's a big ball-handler, which can be very effective in modern basketball (e.g. Giannis, Lebron*), but hopefully we find a way to surround him with 4 shooters or as close to that as possible.

* Not that Jalen is as good as those guys, even adjusted for competition. But he can perhaps be Ben Simmons when Embiid is injured and the 76ers surround Simmons with more shooters, a situation where Simmons has tended to thrive.

I am not sure that K puts Hurt at the 5 to start games. A line up of Williams, Hurt (if he returns), Johnson, Moore and Roach allows Hurt to play inside and out with Williams taking the opposing 5 defensively. Also, DJ would be the scorer off the bench and Brakefield to come in off the bench which allows Duke to determine who is the best defensive matchups.

Not enough shooting in that lineup.

Truth&Justise
04-03-2020, 11:17 AM
One thing many people are perhaps underestimating is just how bad a shooter Jalen Johnson is.
. . .
Not enough shooting in that lineup.

I keep hope that Moore can improve as a shooter. He shot 80% from the free throw line, and while his 3pt % was bad, it's a small sample size (4 for 19).

In high school (https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/wendell-moore-jr/kwwqUoSmEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/basketball/stats.htm)he was consistently an 80% free throw shooter (showing last season's FT% was not a fluke), and his three point percentage was:

Freshman
27%

Sophomore
31%

Junior
32%

Senior
36%

So no, he's never been a sharpshooter, but those are the numbers of a guy getting better every year. With practice (can he get into a gym now?) I expect his 3pt % to rise--at least north of 30%.

sagegrouse
04-03-2020, 11:19 AM
The team can realistically add me to the roster as well but that doesn't mean I'd be a net positive. I think it's up in the air whether Tape would've been a net positive. If Duke actually has (and plays) much more shooting than we anticipate having (and playing), then yes, Tape could've been a net-positive add to the roster*. But, as is, I think Tape only served to block some creative, high-ceiling lineups that could cause opponents headaches.

(* For example, Steward-Baker-Stanley-Johnson-Tape is probably the minimal amount of shooting you need on the court for Tape to be net-positive).

It's unclear whether Jalen or Matthew would be the primary 5 defender. It wouldn't surprise me if Jalen weighed more than Matthew currently, for example. Either way, the opposing team is going to hate having to stick their center on one of those two.

Two adages:

"There's no use crying over spilt milk."

"There is no real regret in losing a prospect who was an average player at one of the weaker programs in the Ivy League." 16-40 last four years

jaywilliams22
04-03-2020, 11:33 AM
Tapé is apparently committing today

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1246092539456823298?s=20

Truth&Justise
04-03-2020, 11:40 AM
Tapé is apparently committing today

Any chance he commits to Duke?? :p

uh_no
04-03-2020, 11:44 AM
IMHO, Occam's razor would indicate that Tape bailed because he thinks Hurt is staying. I realize that Tape's game differs substantially from Hurt's, but I think ultimately they would be competing for frontcourt minutes, and I think (and I think Tape thinks) that there will be materially fewer of those to go around if Hurt stays.

several have noted there is insider info it has nothing to do with hurt.

budwom
04-03-2020, 11:46 AM
I'd actually say that Occam's Razor would say the kid just changed his mind. Simpler explanation, and evidently what happened.

Indoor66
04-03-2020, 11:50 AM
Why do we care why?

MChambers
04-03-2020, 11:58 AM
I'd actually say that Occam's Razor would say the kid just changed his mind. Simpler explanation, and evidently what happened.

Maybe someone pointed out to him that Coach K tends to go small, especially at crunch time and late in the season?

arnie
04-03-2020, 12:01 PM

That would be fun; but we might then ask him to walk on.

BD80
04-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Why do we care why?

Why do you care why we care why?

budwom
04-03-2020, 12:49 PM
Why do we care why?

some cared why because they felt it might be indicative of Hurt returning...that plus Williams alone in the post may (emphasis) may not be sufficient next year...

-jk
04-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Easy, folks!

-jk

CrazyNotCrazie
04-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Why do we care why?

The related question I have been struggling with is why is it our business? I am a very curious person and a big part of me really wants to know why. But realistically, why is it my business? Maybe it was academic, or health, or family, or related to a girlfriend, or because one of our coaches did something to offend him (I have no inside information so I am not implying that it was any of these reasons - just speaking hypothetically)? Would he have an obligation to reveal this? Yes, these are public figures, but at some point we should also respect their privacy, move on and wish him the best of luck.

79-77
04-03-2020, 01:27 PM
several have noted there is insider info it has nothing to do with hurt.

The only insider info I've seen mentioned in this thread relates to a report from a fan website with no attribution or real support -- was there anything else?

Well, I think it's fair to say that by definition, he's changed his mind about attending Duke. But it would seem highly likely that there was a (to him) compelling reason to do so.

Certainly it could have nothing to do with Hurt. As others have noted, it could be family-related, COVID-related or a million other reasons. It just seems likely to me that a change of heart during this particular time period would be due to him learning new information about his likely role with the team.

uh_no
04-04-2020, 12:12 AM
The only insider info I've seen mentioned in this thread relates to a report from a fan website with no attribution or real support -- was there anything else?

if budworm has a multiple reasons to believe it, that's good enough for me (respect that's been earned from years of quality posting). you're free to believe whatever you want.

lotusland
04-04-2020, 08:31 AM
I thought Tapes failure to adhere to his commitment was very tacky. Or maybe it was the opposite of tacky. I’m stuck.

budwom
04-04-2020, 08:42 AM
if budworm has a multiple reasons to believe it, that's good enough for me (respect that's been earned from years of quality posting). you're free to believe whatever you want.

thank you...for those who care enough to post here, a subscription to the Devils Den is something like ten bucks a month, with promotional deals all the time...I personally think it's worth it. Less than a four pack of premium beer.
I'm not going to share someone else's premium info over here...so it's tough to respond to queries/challenges .....I know quite a few other DBR posters subscribe to TDD, and I believe that they find that it complements DBR very nicely.

jv001
04-04-2020, 09:54 AM
thank you...for those who care enough to post here, a subscription to the Devils Den is something like ten bucks a month, with promotional deals all the time...I personally think it's worth it. Less than a four pack of premium beer.
I'm not going to share someone else's premium info over here...so it's tough to respond to queries/challenges ....I know quite a few other DBR posters subscribe to TDD, and I believe that they find that it complements DBR very nicely.

I just saw a tweet by way of facebook that said, watch out for a commitment to Syracuse because they were able to flip him. Says Tape is close to the coaching staff there. Coming from Jerry Meyer and Evan Daniel 247 sports.

GoDuke!

lotusland
04-04-2020, 10:44 AM
I just saw a tweet by way of facebook that said, watch out for a commitment to Syracuse because they were able to flip him. Says Tape is close to the coaching staff there. Coming from Jerry Meyer and Evan Daniel 247 sports.

GoDuke!

Probably a good fit. I think he would have been at least a rotation guy for Duke but I’m sure the competition for PT won’t be as intense at Syracuse. If a guy wants assurance that he will play his only grad transfer year, Duke probably isn’t a good fit unless he’s a Travis or Blackshear level player.

Barnstormer
04-04-2020, 11:33 AM
just purely speculation on my part, but is Tape able to graduate since they couldn't finish classes. Without him graduating, I don't know if Duke could accept him without waiting a year or has this rule changed.

uh_no
04-04-2020, 11:37 AM
just purely speculation on my part, but is Tape able to graduate since they couldn't finish classes. Without him graduating, I don't know if Duke could accept him without waiting a year or has this rule changed.

every university i know of (including columbia) is completing the spring semester online, and finishing classes, and graduating seniors...so your premise here is wrong.

duke74
04-04-2020, 12:38 PM
every university i know of (including columbia) is completing the spring semester online, and finishing classes, and graduating seniors...so your premise here is wrong.

Agree. That’s exactly what we are doing here at St. John’s. No commencement planned, but all graduations as scheduled upon completion.

budwom
04-04-2020, 02:14 PM
Agree. That’s exactly what we are doing here at St. John’s. No commencement planned, but all graduations as scheduled upon completion.

Gotta be a hideous year for the graduation cap and gown rental business.

AZLA
04-04-2020, 02:34 PM

GoDuke!

Good for him. I hope Duke beats the BLEEP out of Syracuse and dunks on Tape next year. Joking. Kinda. Tape seems like a good guy. Suddenly it went from another member in the brotherhood to Step Brothers. Never touch my drums! Feels like Syracuse is kinda always hanging out around the corner ready to swoop in on Duke transfers. Seriously good for him. Seems like a decent fella and a tough player.

BD80
04-04-2020, 04:17 PM
....I know quite a few other DBR posters subscribe to TDD, and I believe that they find that it complements DBR very nicely.

And you compliment TDD very nicely ...

budwom
04-04-2020, 04:22 PM
And you compliment TDD very nicely ...

we shall await our certificate of merit from Mr. Sumner!

UrinalCake
04-04-2020, 05:04 PM
Feels like Syracuse is kinda always hanging out around the corner ready to swoop in on Duke transfers.

In recent years they got Gbinije from us, and also landed Joe Girard who we were sort-of recruiting and Tyus Battle who we were more-seriously recruiting. Given our completely different styles of play it seems odd that we would be going after many of the same players.

I know quite a few other DBR posters subscribe to TDD, and I believe that they find that it complements DBR very nicely.

I frequent both sites often. TDD is like chatting with my kids' friends. Then I come to DBR for some actual adult conversation.

sagegrouse
04-04-2020, 05:27 PM
In recent years they got Gbinije from us, and also landed Joe Girard who we were sort-of recruiting and Tyus Battle who we were more-seriously recruiting. Given our completely different styles of play it seems odd that we would be going after many of the same players.

I frequent both sites often. TDD is like chatting with my kids' friends. Then I come to DBR for some actual adult conversation.

True dat. Some of the coronavirus posts by good old Duke premeds and MDs and biomedical researchers are a real education. Much more detailed and informative than what I find on my main news sites.

OldPhiKap
04-04-2020, 05:46 PM
I signed up for TDD but forgot my sign-in info. Think I’m still getting auto-charged for something there though.

DukeFanSince1990
04-05-2020, 08:44 PM
https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Patrick-Tape-Duke-Columbia-transfer-145745378/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

jaywilliams22
04-05-2020, 08:45 PM
https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Patrick-Tape-Duke-Columbia-transfer-145745378/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

What a bizarre few days. Tapé back to Duke.

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1246960027631583232?s=20

brevity
04-05-2020, 08:46 PM

You beat me to it. Of course, it's a blind link, so it doesn't count.

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels

Columbia transfer Patrick Tape recommitted to Duke, he tells @247Sports. | Story: https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Patrick-Tape-Duke-Columbia-transfer-145745378/

7:36 PM · Apr 5, 2020 (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1246960027631583232)

ETA: Credit to jaywilliams22, especially for the little symbol above the é.

MChambers
04-05-2020, 08:49 PM
This thread is going to set the record for title changes.

BD80
04-05-2020, 08:56 PM
You beat me to it. Of course, it's a blind link, so it doesn't count.

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels

Columbia transfer Patrick Tape recommitted to Duke, he tells @247Sports. | Story: https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Patrick-Tape-Duke-Columbia-transfer-145745378/

7:36 PM · Apr 5, 2020 (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1246960027631583232)

ETA: Credit to jaywilliams22, especially for the little symbol above the é.

Double stick Tape?

CrazyNotCrazie
04-05-2020, 08:56 PM
This thread is going to set the record for title changes.

How about "Tapé or not Tapé, that is the question?"

Tripping William
04-05-2020, 08:58 PM
Wow. I have a neck injury. Anybody know a good lawyer??

mattman91
04-05-2020, 09:07 PM
What the....OK?

arnie
04-05-2020, 09:10 PM
What the...OK?

Is there a “signing period” for this?

Tripping William
04-05-2020, 09:12 PM
Is there a “signing period” for this?

More like a signing question mark ......

scottdude8
04-05-2020, 09:20 PM
As if the world we’re all navigating right now isn’t surreal enough, there is the enigma that is Patrick Tape. Wow.

This puts the likelihood of Vernon leaving back up to 99% from my previous optimistic reading of this from 90%. Shoot.

I do think Tape fills a very important role for us next season. So this is a net positive, and as much as we may want to color our reaction with our whiplash I don’t think this changes anything.

roywhite
04-05-2020, 09:27 PM
As if the world we’re all navigating right now isn’t surreal enough, there is the enigma that is Patrick Tape. Wow.

This puts the likelihood of Vernon leaving back up to 99% from my previous optimistic reading of this from 90%. Shoot.

I do think Tape fills a very important role for us next season. So this is a net positive, and as much as we may want to color our reaction with our whiplash I don’t think this changes anything.

Another chapter in "The Tale of the Tape" -- a mystery that may have a happy ending.

CDu
04-05-2020, 09:33 PM
And I was so excited because Tape’s decommit meant Carey was coming back! :)

Just kidding. Glad he is back on board. Hopefully he sticks around and gives us a solid ~15-20 minutes per game as needed.

UrinalCake
04-05-2020, 09:39 PM
This feels like when one of my kids starts talking and can't get the words out right, and I have to tell her to stop and think about what she wants to say before she actually says it. Couldn't Tape have waited a few weeks and pondered this decision internally before making any announcement(s)?

Anyways, if he is in fact on board then I'm glad. As we discussed the first time around, he feels a definite need on our roster. I'm glad nobody here trashed the kid when he decommitted like I've seen on some other boards.

devildeac
04-05-2020, 09:44 PM

What a bizarre few days. Tapé back to Duke.

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1246960027631583232?s=20

Genius post by T&J from 4/3. Brilliant.

hallcity
04-05-2020, 09:46 PM
Welcome back? I think this is going to require an explanation.

devildeac
04-05-2020, 09:56 PM
Ok, who's going to start the Welcome to Duke Redux thread? :rolleyes:

proelitedota
04-05-2020, 09:57 PM
Rewinded the Tapé!

jacone21
04-05-2020, 10:05 PM
This is like if the proverbial sour grapes suddenly fell from the vine.

DBR: Yay! Grapes!

DBR can't reach the grapes.

DBR: I didn't really want those grapes anyway. They aren't very good and aren't a good fit. I've had better grapes.

Grapes fall.

DBR: Oh. Sweet!

Is there such a thing as sweet grape rationalization?

Truth&Justise
04-05-2020, 10:12 PM
tapé is apparently committing today

Any chance he commits to duke?? :p

Genius post by T&J from 4/3. Brilliant.

I was just joking!!

devildeac
04-05-2020, 10:17 PM
I was just joking!!

Ssshhhhh...

bundabergdevil
04-05-2020, 10:25 PM
We just got (pat)rick rolled.

JasonEvans
04-05-2020, 10:27 PM
From Evan Daniels article on 247...

"I actually spoke with the Duke coaches again and they’ve agreed to let me join the team again," Tape said.

I give the kid credit for some real guts. I cannot imagine calling Coach K to have the, "I told you yes, then told you no, can I now tell you yes again?" conversation with him.

Gooch
04-05-2020, 10:57 PM
Reminds me of when I applied early decision to Duke, and then freaked out because I wasn’t sure I could be away from my high school girlfriend. So I asked my Dad to call the school and turn my application to regular decision. Then two days later I freaked out again and wanted to apply early to Duke after all. Luckily my Dad never did call the admissions office, figuring I was a kid who would likely change his mind back-and-forth a dozen times.

After typing this there’s not really too much similar to the Patrick Tape story. But it’s kind of a funny-ish story so I’ll leave it here. Glad Patrick is back with the Brotherhood!

UrinalCake
04-05-2020, 10:59 PM
Glad Patrick is back with the Brotherhood!

The Prodigal Son returns