PDA

View Full Version : Podcast #201 - What we really said about the 1992 Duke-Ky game

JasonEvans
03-22-2020, 12:59 PM
https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duke-basketball-report?selected=VMP6214461600

Here's a blast from the past. This is the actual podcast we recorded on March 28th, 1992 when Duke played Kentucky in the greatest college basketball game in history. Sure, some of us were barely out of diapers when it happened but we swear this is the real podcast we recorded back then. You believe us, right?

I expect a lot of feedback about this podcast...

House G
03-22-2020, 01:41 PM
Very nice, especially after watching the game yesterday. A few takeaways:
—basketball was better before the OAD era
—Hurley was really good. I miss having a PG with a clutch, dependable 3 pt shot.
—Kentucky’s press was relentless. As mentioned in the podcast, I think Grant Hill’s experience at PG earlier in the year (when Hurley got injured) may have been a key factor in why we won the game.

JasonEvans
03-22-2020, 02:57 PM
If you were wondering, the locations for each of us on that fateful night are not made up. I was absolutely in Philly in the front row (behind the cheerleaders) under the basket where Sean Woods made his shot. Sam and Donald, being considerably younger, were less sure of their locations but came close to approximating where they were.

Fun memories for me!

-Jason "Coby (my former Duke roommate) and I did, in fact, attend the Final Four in Minneapolis the next weekend... I did not call my fiance (now wife) the entire 3-day weekend. It came darn close to ruining our relationship when she found out that Coby had repeatedly called his family during the same weekend I said I was 'too busy' to reach out to her" Evans

jv001
03-22-2020, 02:58 PM
Very nice, especially after watching the game yesterday. A few takeaways:
—basketball was better before the OAD era
—Hurley was really good. I miss having a PG with a clutch, dependable 3 pt shot.
—Kentucky’s press was relentless. As mentioned in the podcast, I think Grant Hill’s experience at PG earlier in the year (when Hurley got injured) may have been a key factor in why we won the game.

Oh, I think we've had some point guards that had dependable 3 point shots. However most didn't play as long as Bobby did. Kyrie and Tyus are two that quickly come to mind. Then there was Jon who was our point guard on the 2010 team, but he wasn't one and done. But if I had to name my favorite point guard, it would be Bobby Hurley.

GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-22-2020, 03:01 PM
Oh, I think we've had some point guards that had dependable 3 point shots. However most didn't play as long as Bobby did. Kyrie and Tyus are two that quickly come to mind. Then there was Jon who was our point guard on the 2010 team, but he wasn't one and done. But if I had to name my favorite point guard, it would be Bobby Hurley.

GoDuke!

I love Hurley, and he had a few great plays down the stretch, but he also had 8 turnovers in the Kentucky game.

We have a tendency to gild things more brightly over time.

Steven43
03-22-2020, 03:39 PM
I love Hurley, and he had a few great plays down the stretch, but he also had 8 turnovers in the Kentucky game.

8 turnovers or no, Bobby Hurley is the greatest PG in Duke history and one of the top 5 in all of college basketball.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-22-2020, 04:29 PM
8 turnovers or no, Bobby Hurley is the greatest PG in Duke history and one of the top 5 in all of college basketball.

Well... Yeah.

JDNC64
03-22-2020, 04:31 PM
The 2001 team is the only one I would give any chance against these guys.

JasonEvans
03-22-2020, 04:35 PM
The 2001 team is the only one I would give any chance against these guys.

See, and I still think 1999 was the best Duke team ever... even if they lost the last game.

roywhite
03-22-2020, 05:11 PM
See, and I still think 1999 was the best Duke team ever... even if they lost the last game.

1992 vs 1999?

Laettner drawing Elton out of the paint?
Grant Hill and Shane Battier matching up?
Both teams running.
Shooters galore.

Delicious to contemplate.

-jk
03-22-2020, 05:42 PM
1992 vs 1999?

Both teams running.
Shooters galore.

Who brings the refs, though?

-jk

roywhite
03-22-2020, 06:52 PM
A great Sports Illustrated piece about the great game.

THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD
A MIRACULOUS LAST-SECOND PLAY LIFTED DUKE OVER KENTUCKY IN PERHAPS THE GREATEST COLLEGE GAME EVER PLAYED
ALEXANDER WOLFF

https://vault.si.com/vault/1992/12/28/march-28-the-shot-heard-round-the-world-a-miraculous-last-second-play-lifted-duke-over-kentucky-in-perhaps-the-greatest-college-game-ever-played

JasonEvans
03-22-2020, 08:12 PM
A great Sports Illustrated piece about the great game.

THE SHOT HEARD ROUND THE WORLD
A MIRACULOUS LAST-SECOND PLAY LIFTED DUKE OVER KENTUCKY IN PERHAPS THE GREATEST COLLEGE GAME EVER PLAYED
ALEXANDER WOLFF

https://vault.si.com/vault/1992/12/28/march-28-the-shot-heard-round-the-world-a-miraculous-last-second-play-lifted-duke-over-kentucky-in-perhaps-the-greatest-college-game-ever-played

Only a die-hard Carolina fan would dare call that "perhaps" the Greatest College Game Ever Player.

devildeac
03-22-2020, 08:18 PM
Who brings the refs, though?

-jk

Won't matter as Duke still gets all the calls...

:rolleyes:

roywhite
03-23-2020, 12:09 AM
Only a die-hard Carolina fan would dare call that "perhaps" the Greatest College Game Ever Player.

Better Alexander Wolff than Curry Kirkpatrick.

JDNC64
03-23-2020, 08:41 AM

I always felt that team was a little flat in the final four for whatever reason, but I would agree the regular season that year was the greatest display
of domination by a team I have ever witnessed.

jv001
03-23-2020, 09:05 AM
1992 vs 1999?

Both teams running.
Shooters galore.

They might still be playing. 1992 team-5595-1999 team-5595 heading to the 699 OT. Some players have been out 6 months recovering from hip replacements. K has used the bench more in this game than all the other years combined, but some fans are still whining over his penchant for playing mostly man2man. :cool:

GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-23-2020, 09:10 AM
They might still be playing. 1992 team-5595-1999 team-5595 heading to the 699 OT. Some players have been out 6 months recovering from hip replacements. K has used the bench more in this game than all the other years combined, but some fans are still whining over his penchant for playing mostly man2man. :cool:

GoDuke!

Amazingly, Nate James only has two fouls.

roywhite
03-23-2020, 10:29 AM

GoDuke!

Observers have said the most memorable plays so far have been:

A long 3-pointer by Marty Clark to tie up one of the many overtimes, or was it
A miracle tip-in by Taymon Domzalski off a Corey Maggette miss in close

rsvman
03-23-2020, 10:46 AM

The whole team had a lot of turnovers in that game, especially in the first half.

A couple of other things I noticed while watching that game:

1) We didn't extend the man-to-man quite as far as as we did in later years. Yes, we guarded passing lanes a bit, but we weren't hounding people 30 feet from the basket. It also seemed like we were less focused on keeping the ball on one side of the court and also on directing the offensive players towards the baseline. All of this is likely because the 3-point shot wasn't as much of a focal point of the game then as it is now;

2) We went to zone defense several times during the game, and rather unpredictably. In later years it seems that Coach K went away from the zone completely, regardless of circumstance. I'm not sure why that change was made, but it was interesting to see the team fall into a zone not once but on several occasions.