PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Off season transfer thread

Pages : [1] 2

JasonEvans
03-19-2020, 11:01 AM
As some folks suggested in the Darius Perry thread, we need a single unified place to talk about transfers and player movement around the NCAA. Obviously, folks should not feel the need to note every single transfer happening, merely ones that may be of interest to the ACC and perhaps other significant programs that we follow.

Anyway, we have seen Va Tech lose Landers Nolley and Louisville lose Darius Perry in recent days (destinations still unknown). Please comment on those two transfers and other new ones in this thread going forward.

Thanks!

Gooch
03-19-2020, 11:47 AM
As some folks suggested in the Darius Perry thread, we need a single unified place to talk about transfers and player movement around the NCAA. Obviously, folks should not feel the need to note every single transfer happening, merely ones that may be of interest to the ACC and perhaps other significant programs that we follow.

Anyway, we have seen Va Tech lose Landers Nolley and Louisville lose Darius Perry in recent days (destinations still unknown). Please comment on those two transfers and other new ones in this thread going forward.

Thanks!

Can players enter the portal and return to their teams?

JasonEvans
03-19-2020, 11:47 AM
Can players enter the portal and return to their teams?

Absolutely, does not happen often, but it does happen.

FerryFor50
03-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Here's a link to the 247 transfer portal:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/TransferPortal/

I'm curious why Landers Nolley decided to transfer after a solid sophomore season at VT rather than just entering the NBA draft or playing overseas.

As for Duke, I wouldn't be shocked to see one name pop up on the list, but I'll reserve speculation on that.

DavidBenAkiva
03-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Here's a link to the 247 transfer portal:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/TransferPortal/

I'm curious why Landers Nolley decided to transfer after a solid sophomore season at VT rather than just entering the NBA draft or playing overseas.

As for Duke, I wouldn't be shocked to see one name pop up on the list, but I'll reserve speculation on that.

From what I have read, Nolley was upset with having to play the post so much, at least on defense, and wanted to move to the wing. I sort of don't blame him as he was the biggest guy they had on the court for most of the year and appeared to get worn down as the season progressed. If he makes it to the NBA, and I think he has a chance, it will be a s 2 or a 3. Defending big men every night was not his cup of tea.

DavidBenAkiva
03-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Thanks for creating this thread for transfers.

It appears (https://twitter.com/DaveBorges/status/1240669301251682305) that Yale F Jordan Bruner has heard from Duke. Bruner is from SC, although geography does not appear to be an issue for the young man. He will have interest from practically every school.

FerryFor50
03-19-2020, 12:45 PM
From what I have read, Nolley was upset with having to play the post so much, at least on defense, and wanted to move to the wing. I sort of don't blame him as he was the biggest guy they had on the court for most of the year and appeared to get worn down as the season progressed. If he makes it to the NBA, and I think he has a chance, it will be a s 2 or a 3. Defending big men every night was not his cup of tea.

I understand that aspect, but why transfer? Just go pro. Don't waste a year sitting out when you just had a great year.

jimsumner
03-19-2020, 12:59 PM
Pitt losing Trey McGowens.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/pitt-guard-trey-mcgowens-enters-transfer-portal/ar-BB11nKGM

Can they find him? About this time last year Alabama guard Kira Lewis announced he was leaving and Duke showed some early interest. But Lewis elected to return to "Bama.

So, as Jim Carrey said, there's a chance.

Troublemaker
03-19-2020, 01:11 PM

It appears (https://twitter.com/DaveBorges/status/1240669301251682305) that Yale F Jordan Bruner has heard from Duke. Bruner is from SC, although geography does not appear to be an issue for the young man. He will have interest from practically every school.

Bruner would be a great fit (and a graduate from a top University to boot) - a bit like Amile and he has played in Cameron! K needs to make a big play for him. He could get a lot of PT at Duke.

Yeah, Bruner would be a very good addition. With the strong likelihood that we'll be starting two guys in Wendell and Jalen who are poor shooters, if we add a big to the team, he needs to have perimeter skills. Shooting obviously, but passing and dribbling would be nice, too. Bruner seems to have all that although obviously I wish his 3-pt percentage were higher.

dukelifer
03-19-2020, 02:07 PM
Yeah, Bruner would be a very good addition. With the strong likelihood that we'll be starting two guys in Wendell and Jalen who are poor shooters, if we add a big to the team, he needs to have perimeter skills. Shooting obviously, but passing and dribbling would be nice, too. Bruner seems to have all that although obviously I wish his 3-pt percentage were higher.

Not everyone big can be a 40% 3 point shooter like Justin Robinson ;)

907bluedevils
03-19-2020, 02:10 PM
DJ Carton at OSU and Gilbert from UCONN are entering the portal. DJ was solid as a freshmen before taking a leave from the team.

duke79
03-19-2020, 02:35 PM

If that were to happen, would be one of the rare times when coming to Duke (from a non-basketball perspective) might be a step down.

Reddevil
03-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Really? Is he going to have the academic chops for Duke?

dukelifer
03-19-2020, 02:53 PM

Interesting- right after I posted that K should make a big play for him ;) Duke is a really good fit. I hope they can make it happen- plus he will have a very nice resume.

brevity
03-19-2020, 02:53 PM

If that were to happen, would be one of the rare times when coming to Duke (from a non-basketball perspective) might be a step down.

You may be relying too heavily on the U.S. News rankings. We all know that their voters lack a recency bias.

YALE (62 Nobel laureates)
John Goodenough, Nobel Prize in Chemistry (2019)
William Nordhaus, Nobel Prize in Economics (2018)

DUKE (15 Nobel laureates)
William Kaelin Jr., Nobel Prize in Medicine (2019)
Gregg L. Semenza, Nobel Prize in Medicine (2019)
George Smith, Nobel Prize in Chemistry (2018)

Has anyone found a good metric for Nobel Prize efficiency? I tried KenSta, but he seems to favor Baylor and Pepperdine.

devildeac
03-19-2020, 03:04 PM

When Brodhead came to Duke, he told a story about one of his students bursting into tears when they found out he was leaving Yale and blurted out, "You're leaving us for someone younger and more athletic!"

:D

duke79
03-19-2020, 03:10 PM
When Brodhead came to Duke, he told a story about one of his students bursting into tears when they found out he was leaving Yale and blurted out, "You're leaving us for someone younger and more athletic!"

:D

LOL, yes, I have heard that story.....and I believe he replied that he was just moving to a slightly different shade of blue.

jaywilliams22
03-19-2020, 04:26 PM
https://twitter.com/MatthewGut21/status/1240732043711000582?s=20

That was fast - Towns apparently down to Duke and Ohio St.

jimsumner
03-19-2020, 04:44 PM
Again, let's look at the numbers.

Without any attrition Duke has 14 committed scholarships for next season.

And they're out there looking for grad-student transfers.

So, time to put away the fantasies about Carey and Jones and Stanley coming back. Clearly Duke is recruiting with the expectation that there will be significant attrition.

Buckminsterfuller
03-19-2020, 05:06 PM
Again, let's look at the numbers.

Without any attrition Duke has 14 committed scholarships for next season.

And they're out there looking for grad-student transfers.

So, time to put away the fantasies about Carey and Jones and Stanley coming back. Clearly Duke is recruiting with the expectation that there will be significant attrition.

Should we be concerned about attrition of the incoming class?

DavidBenAkiva
03-19-2020, 05:06 PM
https://twitter.com/MatthewGut21/status/1240732043711000582?s=20

That was fast - Towns apparently down to Duke and Ohio St.

Wow! He had tweeted out that he wanted to make a decision this week. I see a better fit with Ohio State given the roster situation there and his ability to play the 3 or the 4. Duke has a ton of guys that have the same size and rough athletic profile. But Towns is a heck of a shooter and a great player when healthy. He's certainly not someone I would turn down.

Phredd3
03-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Wow! He had tweeted out that he wanted to make a decision this week. I see a better fit with Ohio State given the roster situation there and his ability to play the 3 or the 4. Duke has a ton of guys that have the same size and rough athletic profile. But Towns is a heck of a shooter and a great player when healthy. He's certainly not someone I would turn down.

It is at least conceivable that he is evaluating more than just the basketball....

Barnstormer
03-19-2020, 05:53 PM
It is at least conceivable that he is evaluating more than just the basketball...

I would bet Coach Tommie Amaker might have some bearing on his decision.

Nugget
03-19-2020, 06:59 PM
Anyone understand what the heck is going on at Wichita St.? Of the 6 transfers they've lost I think at least 3-4 of them were slated to be starters or at least rotation players next year.

We think this means Marshall is leaving or just that the bloom is off the rose there?

I wonder if they are regretting giving up the chance to be the "Gonzaga of the MVC" for the reality of being in the middle of the pack in the AAC.

Neals384
03-19-2020, 10:11 PM
Anyone understand what the heck is going on at Wichita St.? Of the 6 transfers they've lost I think at least 3-4 of them were slated to be starters or at least rotation players next year.

We think this means Marshall is leaving or just that the bloom is off the rose there?

I wonder if they are regretting giving up the chance to be the "Gonzaga of the MVC" for the reality of being in the middle of the pack in the AAC.

No idea what's going on, but the transfers are 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores who totaled 100 minutes per game this season. Ouch!

JasonEvans
03-20-2020, 06:12 AM
This thread will EXPLODE if, as expected, the NCAA opens up the world of "transfer without sitting out a year" this summer.

I frankly don't understand why any kid would make a transfer decision yet before we know what the NBA draft and open transfer rules will bring. It is not like committing now means you can get to campus to start working out and the such... every program in the country is basically on mothballs for the foreseeable future.

golfinesquire
03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
It is at least conceivable that he is evaluating more than just the basketball...

He has a degree from Harvard already, so it seems doubtful that academics are a consideration. Is there something else that you are hinting at?

MarkD83
03-20-2020, 07:54 AM
He has a degree from Harvard already, so it seems doubtful that academics are a consideration. Is there something else that you are hinting at?

Duke does have some "decent" post-grad schools so academics may be the consideration....There is a professor in the Fuqua school that he might want to contact.

DavidBenAkiva
03-20-2020, 09:41 AM
If you want to see who is in the transfer portal, Verbal Commits has a running list that gets updated frequently each day. A couple of centers and forwards pop out to me:

Hayden Koval, 7'0" C, Central Arkansas: He's a career 34% 3P%/ 73% FT%, looks fairly mobile with a reasonable post game or can hit a step-back jumper. He averaged about 3 blocks per game, too. He could be useful, although I am not sure if he is immediately eligible as a grad transfer. He might be a sit one/play one type.

Taurean Thompson, 6'11" F, Syracuse, Seton Hall: After a promising freshman season for the Orange where he averaged 9 points and a block per game, Thompson transferred to Seton Hall and sort of got lost. He only played in 1 game this year for the Pirates. A former Top 100 recruit, Thompson is immediately elligible.

Patrick Tape, 6'10" F/C, Columbia: From Charlotte, Tape got an expanded role in 2019-20 and turned about 22 minutes a game into better than 11 points, 6 rebounds, an assist, a steal, and a block per game. He seems like a near perfect fit for Duke from an athletic and academic standpoint and a guy that probably wouldn't expect to be more than a role player. Immediately eligible.

Jordan Bruner, 6'9" F, Yale: Speaking of the Ivy League, Bruner is a rugged and athletic forward that gives you a bit of everything. He's had knee issues and may elect to go pro in Europe. But he added a 3-point shot to his game this past season for the Bulldogs (32.3% on 3+ attempts per game) and also gives you interior scoring and some shot blocking. He's an excellent rebounder and passer for a big man, too. I expect he'll be in high demand.

I posted the above in the "Who Stays, Who Goes?" thread and want to toot my own horn for a moment.

Jon Rothstein tweeted (https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1240992874004701186) this morning that Duke has reached out to Patrick Tape (Tuh-PAY, as in, you have to pay the Landlord!). Of three Ivy League players Duke has contacted - Bruner, Tape, and Seth Towns - I think Tape is exactly the type of transfer that would fit Duke next season. He only played about 22 minutes a game in 2018-19 and chose to sit out last season to become a grad transfer. He'd be a 5th year player and probably wouldn't have an expectation of being the starter on day one. He could certainly earn it if it came to it. He is a good rim protector and rebounder with good size.

Here's a highlight clip. I see a guy that can give 15-20 minutes against high major competition, provide some interior size and depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk89m6rp4JY

dm9e24
03-20-2020, 10:53 AM
Agree about Tape. But I like Townes also for his shooting. Something that has been an achilles heel the last 2-3 years. Both would fit needs. Especially if Cassius is gone.

Every year Coach K has exit interviews with the players after the season. I know they are out of school, but with technology, you wonder if those interviews haven't taken place this week, the staff knows what their rosters will look like next season and thus the sudden spike in interest on the transfer portal.

Saratoga2
03-20-2020, 12:05 PM
Some time ago I opined that it would be nice to pick up another big man to support Mark Williams in the coming season. Mark is afterall a freshman and if things go well is unlikely to play more then 25 minutes a game. If he is foul prone or gets injured then we will be left with smaller players to protect the middle and rebound. Henry Coleman was pointed out as a 6'8" 240# strong kid who would likely fulfill that role with the current roster. Others mentioned Keenan Worthington and a 6'8/9" kid that ight have gained weight and strength in his red shirt year. I still like the idea of a true big man and the three young men listed as potential grad transfers all look to be better answers than the alternatives currently available. Thanks for pointing them out and I am sure that aspect of the team has been discussed among the coaches.

superdave
03-20-2020, 02:31 PM
Patrick Tape would seem to be the right profile and fit. I could see him getting 20-25 minutes at the 5. Not sure there's more than 5 minutes a game with Hurt/Jalen/Coleman playing at the 5.

I posted the above in the "Who Stays, Who Goes?" thread and want to toot my own horn for a moment.

Jon Rothstein tweeted (https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1240992874004701186) this morning that Duke has reached out to Patrick Tape (Tuh-PAY, as in, you have to pay the Landlord!). Of three Ivy League players Duke has contacted - Bruner, Tape, and Seth Towns - I think Tape is exactly the type of transfer that would fit Duke next season. He only played about 22 minutes a game in 2018-19 and chose to sit out last season to become a grad transfer. He'd be a 5th year player and probably wouldn't have an expectation of being the starter on day one. He could certainly earn it if it came to it. He is a good rim protector and rebounder with good size.

Here's a highlight clip. I see a guy that can give 15-20 minutes against high major competition, provide some interior size and depth.

dukelifer
03-20-2020, 02:46 PM

From Charlotte- Duke has had good success with athletes from Charlotte

arnie
03-20-2020, 03:54 PM
Patrick Tape would seem to be the right profile and fit. I could see him getting 20-25 minutes at the 5. Not sure there's more than 5 minutes a game with Hurt/Jalen/Coleman playing at the 5.

He seems to be built like Javin but with a different set of offensive skills.😀

flyingdutchdevil
03-20-2020, 04:09 PM
Duke does have some "decent" post-grad schools so academics may be the consideration...There is a professor in the Fuqua school that he might want to contact.

For what? An MMS program? Vast majority of masters in the US are multi-year programs. One-year isn't going to change your career trajectory.

Gooch
03-20-2020, 04:23 PM

I liked the offensive skills and that he was pretty quick to get into his post moves. Would have been nice to see some defense besides recovery blocked shots...yeah I know it is a highlight reel...

Also 9 minutes of pick-and-rolls & post moves is a lot to watch at one sitting...

flyingdutchdevil
03-20-2020, 04:24 PM
I liked the offensive skills and that he was pretty quick to get into his post moves. Would have been nice to see some defense besides recovery blocked shots...yeah I know it is a highlight reel...

Also 9 minutes of pick-and-rolls & post moves is a lot to watch at one sitting...

When you could be drinking at a bar? Or eating at a restaurant? Or shopping for clothes? Oh wait...

CrazyNotCrazie
03-20-2020, 04:45 PM

I am curious about what Tape has been doing for the past year. He quit the Columbia team in October and I believe he was healthy at the time. Has he been working on his game with a skills coach? Playing IM at Columbia? Sitting on the couch eating Cheetos and playing FortNite?

Phredd3
03-20-2020, 04:49 PM
For what? An MMS program? Vast majority of masters in the US are multi-year programs. One-year isn't going to change your career trajectory.

Towns likely has TWO years of eligibility left, assuming his injury waiver is granted next year. Free grad school for a player with an injury history seems like a pretty big deal to me.

BD80
03-20-2020, 04:49 PM
I am curious about what Tape has been doing for the past year. He quit the Columbia team in October and I believe he was healthy at the time. Has he been working on his game with a skills coach? Playing IM at Columbia? Sitting on the couch eating Cheetos and playing FortNite?

I've decided to call it pre-quarantining if occurred prior to 2020.

wobatus
03-20-2020, 06:08 PM
Leaving BC to transfer. He was an RSCI top 100 guy. Was a bit better this year but hasn't broken out.

FerryFor50
03-21-2020, 09:03 PM
Leaving BC to transfer. He was an RSCI top 100 guy. Was a bit better this year but hasn't broken out.

Reminds me... isn’t about time for Derryck Thornton to transfer again?

dukelion
03-21-2020, 11:17 PM
Towns to Ohio St.

Oh well.....

roywhite
03-21-2020, 11:17 PM
Towns just announced for Ohio State.

Sounds like the Columbus home town connection was important.

DavidBenAkiva
03-22-2020, 10:32 AM
Various Duke insiders, like Adam Rowe (via twitter) have suggested that Duke did not offer a spot to Towns. Good for him/ESPN to make it a compelling sporting event when we are all starved for something, anything.

brevity
03-26-2020, 01:43 PM
No Duke involvement as far as I know, but Trey Wertz (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trey-wertz-1.html), a 6-foot-4 guard from Charlotte with two years spent at Santa Clara, entered the transfer portal and is linked to about 30 teams (https://247sports.com/Article/Trey-Wertz-hits-the-transfer-market-with-lots-of-attention-145399688/), including 8 in the ACC: Clemson (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242596747358208003), Florida State (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242881536501911552), Georgia Tech (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242596747358208003), NC State (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242852051350151171), Notre Dame (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1243225067175194625), UNC (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242642588152332291), Virginia (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1243225067175194625), and Virginia Tech (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242596747358208003).

DavidBenAkiva
03-27-2020, 02:41 PM
Jeff Goodman has a quick update on Alan Griffin, the Illinois SO G (6'5") and brother of Class of 2021 Duke commit AJ Griffin. The elder Griffin has an initial list of schools he is considering, including Duke.

Arizona, Dayton, Duke Iowa State, Marquette, Miami Texas, and Syracuse

BD80
03-27-2020, 02:56 PM
Jeff Goodman has a quick update on Alan Griffin, the Illinois SO G (6'5") and brother of Class of 2021 Duke commit AJ Griffin. The elder Griffin has an initial list of schools he is considering, including Duke.

Well, if playing on the East Coast is important to him (and his mother), our odds seem to be pretty good.

jaywilliams22
03-27-2020, 04:12 PM
Johnny Juzang, a former top 50 recruit for UK, has entered the transfer portal

https://twitter.com/JohnnyJuzang/status/1243625292473585664?s=20

DavidBenAkiva
03-27-2020, 04:41 PM
Johnny Juzang, a former top 50 recruit for UK, has entered the transfer portal

https://twitter.com/JohnnyJuzang/status/1243625292473585664?s=20

That's a surprising but not that surprising move. I guess I just didn't expect it. He had played pretty well this past year and earned PT. But Coach Cal is bringing in a bunch of athletic wings next year that play nearly the identical position. If I recall correctly, Juzang reclassified from the Class of 2020 to arrive in Lexington a year early. He outplayed the more highly-touted freshman Kahlil Whitney, who transferred midway through the season.

This is how it is, though. A player isn't going to speculate or spread rumors about leaving. They'll just announce it or their name will pop up in the transfer portal.

budwom
03-27-2020, 04:46 PM

isn't the bigger question is if Duke is considering him?

luvdahops
03-27-2020, 05:27 PM
isn't the bigger question is if Duke is considering him?

I don't know if Duke is considering him, but Griffin can definitely play. I watched Illinois several times this year, and he was a high impact player off the bench for a pretty good team with a lot of wing depth. Excellent shooter, strong rebounder and defender, though he doesn't have a great handle or create much offense.

budwom
03-29-2020, 12:54 PM
I don't know if Duke is considering him, but Griffin can definitely play. I watched Illinois several times this year, and he was a high impact player off the bench for a pretty good team with a lot of wing depth. Excellent shooter, strong rebounder and defender, though he doesn't have a great handle or create much offense.

yeah, he's good, and we're after his brother evidently...guess it depends upon the decisions of Stanley and Hurt as to whether we are interested or not...

CDu
03-29-2020, 01:12 PM
yeah, he's good, and we're after his brother evidently...guess it depends upon the decisions of Stanley and Hurt as to whether we are interested or not...

Just to clarify, we aren’t after Alan’s brother. His brother has already committed to Duke.

budwom
03-29-2020, 01:17 PM
Just to clarify, we aren’t after Alan’s brother. His brother has already committed to Duke.

absolutely right, brain cramp mea culpa

UrinalCake
03-29-2020, 03:36 PM
New tweet from Evan Daniels has removed us from the list of schools Griffin is considering. I guess we had to show him the Griffin-door.

Evan Daniels
@EvanDaniels
Transfer Alan Griffin is looking at Arizona, Dayton, Iowa State, Miami, Syracuse and Texas. Averaged 8.9 PPG last season at Illinois.
3:22 PM · Mar 29, 2020

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2020, 04:01 PM
New tweet from Evan Daniels has removed us from the list of schools Griffin is considering. I guess we had to show him the Griffin-door.

That's probably for the best. Brothers playing on the same team never have had much success at Duke. :rolleyes:

DavidBenAkiva
03-29-2020, 08:34 PM
That's probably for the best. Brothers playing on the same team never have had much success at Duke. :rolleyes:

Griffin did some good things at Illinois and was an interesting 3-and-D wing in college. I really like his game. But Duke is projected to have a ton of options at the same spot in the next few years. AJ Griffin, for one, is going to start at Duke. In the Class of 2021, Duke is also hard after Max Christie and Trevor Keels. It's also possible that one or all three of Joey Baker, Wendell Moore, and DJ Steward could be on the team in 2021-22 and beyond. I just don't think Alan Griffin was going to hear that he had a decent shot at starting at Duke.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-30-2020, 08:52 PM
Looks like Wake got a very good grad transfer from Houston Baptist - 6-4 guard Ian DuBose - originally from Durham and went to Ravenscroft. He averaged 19 points a game last year and has a career average of 6.2 rebounds per game. Danny Manning knows him well as he helped Houston Baptist upset Wake two years ago.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/wfu/wake-forest-picks-up-grad-transfer-from-houston-baptist/article_053ad375-00ce-5127-a338-dc91df215bcc.html

curtis325
03-31-2020, 10:33 AM
Looks like Wake got a very good grad transfer from Houston Baptist - 6-4 guard Ian DuBose - originally from Durham and went to Ravenscroft. He averaged 19 points a game last year and has a career average of 6.2 rebounds per game. Danny Manning knows him well as he helped Houston Baptist upset Wake two years ago.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/wfu/wake-forest-picks-up-grad-transfer-from-houston-baptist/article_053ad375-00ce-5127-a338-dc91df215bcc.html

It is only an upset when Manning's Wake team wins a game.

devilseven
03-31-2020, 11:01 AM

With this new transfer coming in, it looks like Manning is going to be around at least another year. Surprising.

DUKIE V(A)
03-31-2020, 11:13 AM
It is only an upset when Manning's Wake team wins a game.

Too soon. Sad Face Emoji.

Natty_B
04-01-2020, 10:17 AM

Hamilton to Terps.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1245351902512140288

Truth&Justise
04-01-2020, 12:41 PM
Hamilton to Terps.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1245351902512140288

I thought intra-conference transfers weren't allowed?

...never mind.

JasonEvans
04-01-2020, 01:51 PM
I thought intra-conference transfers weren't allowed?

...never mind.

There is not a single current Duke student who has any idea what you are talking about ;)

howardlander
04-01-2020, 02:27 PM
There is not a single current Duke student who has any idea what you are talking about ;)

Lucky them...

TywinBlue
04-01-2020, 02:59 PM
1980 ACC Tournament Championship in snowy Greensboro:

T-E-R-P-S, terps

J-E-R-K-S, Jerks !

devilseven
04-01-2020, 03:11 PM

T-E-R-P-S, terps

J-E-R-K-S, Jerks !

That's not how I remember it, and I'm not sure I can post it here. The last time was T-*-R-*-S, T*r*s.

fgb
04-01-2020, 06:51 PM

T-E-R-P-S, terps

J-E-R-K-S, Jerks !

Love this memory...I was a ballboy that year, was at the tourny work my parents. 12 yrs old, staying at the hyatt, along with the team. In other words... In heaven, until we lost... Then in heartbreak city, until we got snowed in, at a hotel with an indoor pool.. Back in heaven, splashing around with Vince and Eugene. Learned right then that loving your team meant more than winning.

sagegrouse
04-01-2020, 07:07 PM
Love this memory...I was a ballboy that year, was at the tourny work my parents. 12 yrs old, staying at the hyatt, along with the team. In other words... In heaven, until we lost... Then in heartbreak city, until we got snowed in, at a hotel with an indoor pool.. Back in heaven, splashing around with Vince and Eugene. Learned right then that loving your team meant more than winning.

Uhhh... We won the ACC championship in 1980.

BD80
04-01-2020, 07:27 PM

"Forget it. He's rolling."

budwom
04-02-2020, 08:27 AM
in a sign of the times, the incoming Univ. of Vermont class (very good program) consists of three transfers (including Alex Murphy's brother, he of the Transferring Murphys) and one high school kid.

brevity
04-02-2020, 02:49 PM

Thanks!

Landers Nolley II generated interest from more than 40 programs, but today he has trimmed his list to 11 finalists (https://stockrisers.com/2020/04/02/virginia-tech-transfer-landers-nolley-ii-cuts-his-list/): Alabama, Connecticut, Georgetown, Maryland, Memphis, Mississippi, NC State, Oregon, Seton Hall, TCU, and Texas Tech. Pretty sure John Swofford will find a way to block NC State from an in-conference transfer.

No Duke involvement as far as I know, but Trey Wertz (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trey-wertz-1.html), a 6-foot-4 guard from Charlotte with two years spent at Santa Clara, entered the transfer portal and is linked to about 30 teams (https://247sports.com/Article/Trey-Wertz-hits-the-transfer-market-with-lots-of-attention-145399688/), including 8 in the ACC: Clemson (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242596747358208003), Florida State (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242881536501911552), Georgia Tech (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242596747358208003), NC State (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242852051350151171), Notre Dame (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1243225067175194625), UNC (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242642588152332291), Virginia (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1243225067175194625), and Virginia Tech (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1242596747358208003).

The magic number must be 11, because Trey Wertz also has that many finalists (https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Article/Trey-Wertz-Arizona-Butler-NC-State-North-Carolina-Notre-Dame-Ohio-State-Oklahoma-Stanford-Vanderbilt-Virginia-Xavier-145536286/): Arizona, Butler, NC State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Xavier.

brevity
04-05-2020, 01:26 AM
New tweet from Evan Daniels has removed us from the list of schools Griffin is considering.

Update: Illinois transfer Alan Griffin commits to Syracuse (https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Alan-Griffin-Syracuse-Illinois-145720069/)

Many rumors (mostly from Syracuse sources) about Patrick Tapé joining him, but for now:

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels

There were rumblings that Columbia transfer Patrick Tape may make a college decision today, but he told me he needs more time to clear his head. One of top graduate transfers on the market.

10:10 PM · Apr 4, 2020 (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1246636366320095234)

The magic number must be 11, because Trey Wertz also has that many finalists (https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Article/Trey-Wertz-Arizona-Butler-NC-State-North-Carolina-Notre-Dame-Ohio-State-Oklahoma-Stanford-Vanderbilt-Virginia-Xavier-145536286/): Arizona, Butler, NC State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Xavier.

This is like a damn pageant. Trey Wertz narrows his list to 7 (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1246194775046475783): Arizona, Butler, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Virginia.

mattman91
04-05-2020, 08:21 AM
Update: Illinois transfer Alan Griffin commits to Syracuse (https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Alan-Griffin-Syracuse-Illinois-145720069/)

Many rumors (mostly from Syracuse sources) about Patrick Tapé joining him, but for now:

There were rumblings that Columbia transfer Patrick Tape may make a college decision today, but he told me he needs more time to clear his head. One of top graduate transfers on the market.

10:10 PM · Apr 4, 2020 (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1246636366320095234)

This is like a damn pageant. Trey Wertz narrows his list to 7 (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1246194775046475783): Arizona, Butler, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Virginia.

North Carolina? Don't they have three 5 star bigs coming in plus a couple returning from last year? Give me a break.

BD80
04-05-2020, 08:23 AM
North Carolina? Don't they have three 5 star bigs coming in plus a couple returning from last year? Give me a break.

ol' roy's gonna need a bigger bus ...

fgb
04-05-2020, 08:39 AM

it was even better than i remember!

CDu
04-05-2020, 08:46 AM

Yes, but Trey Wertz is a guard, not a big.

mattman91
04-05-2020, 08:58 AM
Yes, but Trey Wertz is a guard, not a big.

Ahh, misread it. I thought it was Patrick Tape.

Forrest
04-05-2020, 09:08 AM
in a sign of the times, the incoming Univ. of Vermont class (very good program) consists of three transfers (including Alex Murphy's brother, he of the Transferring Murphys) and one high school kid.

Link?

devildeac
04-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Ahh, misread it. I thought it was Patrick Tape.

Doesn't matter as they're a shameless bunch of lying, cheating weasels anyway (apologies to all members of the weasel family for the insult).

brevity
04-06-2020, 12:26 AM
Brian Snow, 247 Sports (https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Carlik-Jones-Louisville-basketball-recruiting-transfer-commitment-145746506/): Louisville gets grad transfer Carlik Jones.

As a redshirt junior at Radford, Jones averaged 20.0 points, 5.5 assists and 5.1 rebounds per contest while shooting 49 percent from the floor and 41 percent from beyond the three-point arc.

Carlik Jones fills a big need on the perimeter for Louisville. Was one of the best guard prospects available this transfer cycle. Jones and David Johnson, a potential first rounder next year, should make an impressive ACC backcourt.

8:14 PM · Apr 5, 2020 (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1246969382028312576)

SavDukeGrad
04-06-2020, 10:12 AM

Many rumors (mostly from Syracuse sources) about Patrick Tapé joining him

I am so glad Tape’ has reconsidered and is joining the good guys, but I was curious why Syracuse has been pursuing transfers so vigorously. I must have missed it, but they have had 3 players (guards, bench players) enter the transfer portal in the last few weeks, and there is a 4th player who apparently is considering transferring. This is on top of Hughes declaring for the draft. So lots of roster turnover for the Orange.

scottdude8
04-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Not sure if this got posted yet, but Luther Muhammad is leaving Ohio State. That's now two promising underclassmen guards the Buckeyes will lose to transfer, along with their star Kaleb Wesson to the draft (I believe he's "all in" but not 100% on that). Getting grad transfer Seth Towns may help alleviate the backcourt concerns (and could've been an impetus behind Muhammad's decision), but the Buckeyes may not be the Top 10-15 team they were projected to be with this level of attrition.

UrinalCake
04-06-2020, 02:40 PM
Another big body out there

Gary Parrish
@GaryParrishCBS
Purdue’s Matt Haarms has entered the transfer portal. He’s a 7-3 center who has played real minutes for a great Big Ten program. He’ll be 23 years old when next season begins — and eligible immediately. So he’ll have plenty of suitors.

budwom
04-06-2020, 02:53 PM

Gary Parrish
@GaryParrishCBS
Purdue’s Matt Haarms has entered the transfer portal. He’s a 7-3 center who has played real minutes for a great Big Ten program. He’ll be 23 years old when next season begins — and eligible immediately. So he’ll have plenty of suitors.

I believe I recall him playing in a twinbill in a game before a Duke game, and he is truly immense.

Speaking of transfers, I saw a crawl yesterday (maybe this has been mentioned) in which IF the NCAA approves of one time transfers which allow a kid to play immediately, it probably won't take effect until the 2021-22 season. Still TBD.

BD80
04-06-2020, 02:57 PM

Gary Parrish
@GaryParrishCBS
Purdue’s Matt Haarms has entered the transfer portal. He’s a 7-3 center ... he’ll have plenty of suitors.

Perhaps he's bespoken for.

scottdude8
04-06-2020, 03:13 PM
Wow. Haarms is a very good, high-major big. I imagine this choice was driven by the emergence of Trevion Williams for Purdue last year and the fact that him and Haarms don’t really fit on the floor well together.

I tell you what, Tapé could be very lucky he made his mind up last night, otherwise it wouldn’t have surprised me at all to see K go after Haarms hard.

BD80
04-06-2020, 03:47 PM
Wow. Haarms is a very good, high-major big. I imagine this choice was driven by the emergence of Trevion Williams for Purdue last year and the fact that him and Haarms don’t really fit on the floor well together.

I tell you what, Tapé could be very lucky he made his mind up last night, otherwise it wouldn’t have surprised me at all to see K go after Haarms hard.

A front court of Hurt and Haarms?

scottdude8
04-06-2020, 04:20 PM
I've mentioned that there had to be some attrition coming from Michigan at some point or another, and it looks like the shoe finally dropped today, with David DeJulius entering the transfer portal (https://mgoblog.com/content/david-dejulius-reportedly-entering-portal).

This is a sad one for me. On the one hand I understand it, as DeJulius was likely looking at another season as a 6th man before likely assuming the starting PG mantle as a senior. But he showed a lot of flashes that he could be a high-caliber PG against quality competition, he was a local kid, and I loved the energy he played with. I was really hoping Wolverine fans would get to see how he developed in a Michigan uniform.

That said, this news helps make sense of Michigan's continued pursuit of PG Bryce Aiken, one of the top grad-transfers on the market. While Eli Brooks is a natural point guard and will be a senior this year, his offensive abilities are limited, and he showed he's probably more comfortable off the ball offensively and being a spot-up shooter and defensive specialist. Aiken could come in immediately and initiate the offense. Michigan also brings in Top 100 PG recruit Zeb Jackson in the 2020 class, so this could be foreshadowing that the program is high on his potential relative to DeJulius.

In somewhat related news, while Isaiah Livers declared for the draft last week, in a couple recent interviews he has explicitly stated that unless he gets a promise that he has a guaranteed contract, he'll be coming back for his senior year. So that sounds like a guy with more of a toe in the draft waters, rather than full on testing it. Without DeJulius as things stand Michigan will be thin at PG, but could start a lineup with two seniors (Brooks and Livers), a returning sophomore with a potential NBA future (Franz Wagner), and two top recruits (a combination of Isaiah Todd, Hunter Dickinson, and Josh Christopher)... and there would still be lots of experience coming off the bench, at minimum in the front court (RS Senior Austin Davis and junior Brandon Johns). Still a lot of things to be optimistic about in Ann Arbor.

UrinalCake
04-06-2020, 05:12 PM

They would deal some serious punishment to their opponents.

OldPhiKap
04-06-2020, 05:19 PM

They would deal some serious punishment to their opponents.

When Haarms is on the bench, we will get all the calls from the refs!

After all, no Haarms — no foul.

(I’ll show myself out now....)

JasonEvans
04-07-2020, 10:44 AM

Gary Parrish
@GaryParrishCBS

Louisville is apparently making a big push. Haarms will be an impact transfer. He's a bigger deal than any of these Ivy league kids, IMO.

SavDukeGrad
04-07-2020, 11:49 AM
Louisville is apparently making a big push. Haarms will be an impact transfer. He's a bigger deal than any of these Ivy league kids, IMO.

I also read that Kentucky was making a big push. If Montgomery declares, along with Richards, they will lose a lot in the frontcourt.

scottdude8
04-07-2020, 12:08 PM

Agreed 100%. I've always liked what Haarms brings watching him play in the B1G. In an alternate universe where he makes the decision to transfer earlier, I could imagine K reaching out to both him and Tape... although I imagine Haarms wants to play starter's minutes, whereas Tape is more likely to accept a complimentary role.

jimsumner
04-07-2020, 12:35 PM
Tape is more likely to accept a complimentary role.

Fighting the urge. Fighting the urge.

arnie
04-07-2020, 12:42 PM

Believe he worked for the Chronicle😂

brevity
04-07-2020, 12:45 PM
Agreed 100%. I've always liked what Haarms brings watching him play in the B1G. In an alternate universe where he makes the decision to transfer earlier, I could imagine K reaching out to both him and Tape... although I imagine Haarms wants to play starter's minutes, whereas Tape is more likely to accept a complimentary role.

Try not to get triggered again, but maybe picture it... literally?

"Looking good, Matt!"
"Feeling good, Patrick!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCkiHxcBgXg

Indoor66
04-07-2020, 12:49 PM

Will he then be in Haarms way?

BD80
04-07-2020, 12:50 PM

I complement your struggles ...

CameronBlue
04-07-2020, 01:04 PM

2.2 trillion sporkz for that one.

Indoor66
04-07-2020, 01:11 PM

Painful, for sure.

scottdude8
04-07-2020, 02:48 PM

Believe he worked for the Chronicle😂

Arghhhhh you guys got me! I shall take my public lashes.

Rich
04-07-2020, 02:53 PM
Arghhhhh you guys got me! I shall take my public lashes.

For that, you deserve to be complemented! :rolleyes:

scottdude8
04-09-2020, 08:29 AM
Another transfer from Michigan, with rising-junior big Colin Castleton entering the portal.

This makes more sense to me than DeJulius, as Castleton likely would be playing behind both freshman Hunter Dickinson and RS senior Austin Davis this season unless he made huge strides this summer. I love how that kid plays (he plays HARD) but fact was he was more of a Beilein big than a Howard big.

Coupled with the news that Juwan’s son Jace, an incoming 3* recruit, will official start as a walk-on, and this gives Michigan potentially two open scholarships. Wouldn’t be surprising to see Josh Christopher pull the trigger and commit soon now. And considering Jace Howard wouldn’t need to walk on unless Coach Howard knew he needed the scholarship, this could mean that Michigan knows they have more incoming.

Keep an eye on this situation folks, if the moving parts all fall into place Michigan should be a Top 10 team to start next season.

907bluedevils
04-09-2020, 03:42 PM
Former Kentucky player Juzang is going to UCLA. Mick Cronin is doing a great job so far out West.

UrinalCake
04-09-2020, 09:05 PM
UNC's Brandon Huffman is in the transfer portal. If you're like most people, you're either wondering "Who?" or saying "Oh yeah, I forgot about that guy!" In fairness he has suffered a lot of injuries and I believe he even had an injury history from high school. I always thought it was a mistake for them to bring in Brooks, Manley and Huffman in the same class as they all filled a similar role but were eating up three scholarships.

Anyways, given that he was literally the seventh best big man on their roster for next season the transfer makes sense.

sagegrouse
04-09-2020, 09:07 PM
]

Anyways, given that he was literally the seventh best big man on their roster for next season the transfer makes sense.

By the way, speaking of "seventh," whatever happened to Seventh Woods?

OldPhiKap
04-09-2020, 09:24 PM
By the way, speaking of "seventh," whatever happened to Seventh Woods?

Transferred to South Carolina, I think he sat out last year and if there is a season this year he will be eligible.

He is from SC IIRC.

Should’ve drafted a niblick or a mashie, but showing my age.

devildeac
04-09-2020, 09:51 PM
Transferred to South Carolina, I think he sat out last year and if there is a season this year he will be eligible.

He is from SC IIRC.

Should’ve drafted a niblick or a mashie, but showing my age.

Or your zipcode...

OldPhiKap
04-09-2020, 09:58 PM
Or your zipcode...

I could not help but reflecting that today would have been a glorious first round day if things were normal. Perfect tourney weather and the azaleas are just passing peak.

A November Tuna-mint this year will be interesting if it comes off as planned. I played the course once in mid-November, obviously still beautiful but very different-looking course. It is a course for all seasons. (let me know if you get down this way).

devildeac
04-09-2020, 10:10 PM
I could not help but reflecting that today would have been a glorious first round day if things were normal. Perfect tourney weather and the azaleas are just passing peak.

A November Tuna-mint this year will be interesting if it comes off as planned. I played the course once in mid-November, obviously still beautiful but very different-looking course. It is a course for all seasons. (let me know if you get down this way).

You'll be the first (and only) one we'll call.

Brewery, dinner and a river walk?

OldPhiKap
04-09-2020, 10:20 PM
You'll be the first (and only) one we'll call.

Brewery, dinner and a river walk?

Two in-town breweries before the current mess, not sure what will happen when things open backup. But lots of Georgia brewers that know their crafts.

Guest room always open for you and your better half. Dinner on me, even if I cook it (which beats any restaurant, but I brag on myself . . . .)

Odd situation, tix will either with be loosely available or else really rare. No way to tell right now. Unchartered waters. Gotta think practice rounds will be somewhat easy to get; Par Three Day (Wednesday) is always my favorite even over tumamint days.

devildeac
04-09-2020, 10:28 PM
Two in-town breweries before the current mess, not sure what will happen when things open backup. But lots of Georgia brewers that know their crafts.

Guest room always open for you and your better half. Dinner on me, even if I cook it (which beats any restaurant, but I brag on myself . . . .)

Odd situation, tix will either with be loosely available or else really rare. No way to tell right now. Unchartered waters. Gotta think practice rounds will be somewhat easy to get; Par Three Day (Wednesday) is always my favorite even over tumamint days.

I've got your number.

But, if it's played in November, it'll probably be a bit too late to discuss 2020 transfers and too early to spread rumors and speculate about 2021 transfers:rolleyes:.

Indoor66
04-10-2020, 07:51 AM
I've got your number.

But, if it's played in November, it'll probably be a bit too late to discuss 2020 transfers and too early to spread rumors and speculate about 2021 transfers:rolleyes:.

But you'll always have minutes. :confused:

House P
04-10-2020, 08:35 AM

In fairness, if anyone can figure out a way to play 7 big men, it's Roy! :)

BD80
04-10-2020, 08:43 AM
In fairness, if anyone can figure out a way to play 7 big men, it's Roy! :)

The real issue is getting all those big men under the bus in the post-game presser dagummit! Do you think it's easy doing what ol' roy does? Do you think just anyone could do it?

And it's not just that he can do it once. He does it night after night. With consistency and determination.

It is a real tragedy that ol' roy doesn't get the respect he deserves. I'm sure he would say it is a greater tragedy than this little flu bug causing such a nuisance around the country and disrupting his tee times.

jv001
04-10-2020, 09:14 AM

OPK, how are the fairways at Augusta in November? Are they Bermuda or over seeded with rye. I want to see that beautiful course in all of it's spender. The Masters Tournament is my favorite of all the majors. I used to take a week of vacation to watch it on television. It helped that my favorite and GOAT, Jack Nicklaus was almost always at the top or near the top of the leaderboard every year. As far as I'm concerned, Jack and Arnie made golf one of the top sporting events. I hope the tournament is played this year.

GoDuke!

Daddylawman
04-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Since we are traveling a bit OT here. We are in Georgia. My daughter worked the cabin at Amen corner last year and was scheduled to go back this year. (Side note: she said Condolezza Rice's mother was her favorite). Also - most Georgia breweries are trying to stay in business using contactless drive through service

Jaks19
04-10-2020, 10:43 AM
Justin Kier would be an interesting look. He fits the experience need and he and JGold would give leaderships to the young guards of Roach and Steward.

sagegrouse
04-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Justin Kier would be an interesting look. He fits the experience need and he and JGold would give leaderships to the young guards of Roach and Steward.

A 6-4 guard from George Mason, he was a three-year starter. Lost a lot of time senior year because of a foot injury. Seems like he would fit right in. :p

Jaks19
04-10-2020, 10:58 AM
Yep, but he could also add some good depth and experience to the guards. He is a combo type guard

JasonEvans
04-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Word is (https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/justin-kier-is-a-high-major-target-this-spring) that Arkansas, Butler, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Loyola Chicago, Ohio State, Tulane, Wake Forest and Washington State have already reached out to Justin Kier. Other than Ohio State, those are not the kind of schools that generally swim in the same recruiting waters as Duke.

Jaks19
04-10-2020, 12:33 PM
True

907bluedevils
04-10-2020, 01:22 PM
UNC's Brandon Huffman is in the transfer portal. If you're like most people, you're either wondering "Who?" or saying "Oh yeah, I forgot about that guy!" In fairness he has suffered a lot of injuries and I believe he even had an injury history from high school. I always thought it was a mistake for them to bring in Brooks, Manley and Huffman in the same class as they all filled a similar role but were eating up three scholarships.

Always hoped he would be able to carve out a role there because he is from Alaska.

devildeac
04-10-2020, 01:38 PM
A 6-4 guard from George Mason, he was a three-year starter. Lost a lot of time senior year because of a foot injury. Seems like he would fit right in. :p

If mutual interest develops, perhaps we'll need a pre-vigil vigil.

Would that make it an "antevigil" or a vigilante?

:o:rolleyes:

scottdude8
04-10-2020, 01:51 PM
When David DeJulius announced he was transferring from Michigan, despite the fact he'd likely be competing for starter's minutes at PG, most assumed that meant another domino was about to fall. The first of those has, with grad transfer Mike Smith (https://mgoblog.com/content/columbia-grad-transfer-mike-smith-commits-michigan#read-more) committing to the Wolverines.

Smith is one of those guys, like his former teammate Patrick Tape(!), who was essentially forced out of the Ivy League since they don't allow fifth year players. He was ESPN.com's 11th ranked grad-transfer, for whatever that's worth, but fills a definite need in Ann Arbor. Eli Brooks who is penciled in as the starting PG is a great defender and catch and shoot guy, but hasn't shown an ability to create his own shot or initiate an offense much. Smith showed that ability as he carried a poor Columbia team offensively. At minimum he'll compete with Brooks for minutes, and he could potentially claim the starting role if he shows an ability to defend B1G caliber guards.

Michigan now has one open-scholarship (under the assumption Isaiah Livers returns from testing the draft waters), which is likely to go to 5* Josh Christopher. Also, recent scuttlebutt has been very positive for 5* Isaiah Todd heading to Ann Arbor (despite committing early he didn't "sign", and there had been on and off rumors he perhaps wanted to go abroad for a year). If all that comes to pass, Michigan will be a team returning 2 guys with NBA talent (Livers and Franz Wagner), 3 seniors (Brooks, Livers, and backup big Austin Davis), and a solid and versatile bench contributor (Brandon Johns), and adding Smith along with a Top-3 recruiting class. That would be a NC-contender, with the major if being Juwan Howard living up to the potential he showed this year as HC.

brevity
04-10-2020, 08:13 PM

This is ridiculous. Trey Wertz is expected to announce tomorrow, and now it's down to 4: Arizona, Butler, North Carolina, and Notre Dame. Not looking forward to the swimsuit competition among these programs.

WallyHurst
04-11-2020, 10:19 AM
Has anyone heard anything about where Purdue C Matt Haarms may end up? He is a productive big and may be able to fill a Plumlee-like role on next year's team. While I have questions about his athleticism and speed, he may be very useful on a team with a noticeable lack of size going into the season. Are we pursuing him?

CrazyNotCrazie
04-11-2020, 10:48 AM
When David DeJulius announced he was transferring from Michigan, despite the fact he'd likely be competing for starter's minutes at PG, most assumed that meant another domino was about to fall. The first of those has, with grad transfer Mike Smith (https://mgoblog.com/content/columbia-grad-transfer-mike-smith-commits-michigan#read-more) committing to the Wolverines.

Smith is one of those guys, like his former teammate Patrick Tape(!), who was essentially forced out of the Ivy League since they don't allow fifth year players. He was ESPN.com's 11th ranked grad-transfer, for whatever that's worth, but fills a definite need in Ann Arbor. Eli Brooks who is penciled in as the starting PG is a great defender and catch and shoot guy, but hasn't shown an ability to create his own shot or initiate an offense much. Smith showed that ability as he carried a poor Columbia team offensively. At minimum he'll compete with Brooks for minutes, and he could potentially claim the starting role if he shows an ability to defend B1G caliber guards.

Michigan now has one open-scholarship (under the assumption Isaiah Livers returns from testing the draft waters), which is likely to go to 5* Josh Christopher. Also, recent scuttlebutt has been very positive for 5* Isaiah Todd heading to Ann Arbor (despite committing early he didn't "sign", and there had been on and off rumors he perhaps wanted to go abroad for a year). If all that comes to pass, Michigan will be a team returning 2 guys with NBA talent (Livers and Franz Wagner), 3 seniors (Brooks, Livers, and backup big Austin Davis), and a solid and versatile bench contributor (Brandon Johns), and adding Smith along with a Top-3 recruiting class. That would be a NC-contender, with the major if being Juwan Howard living up to the potential he showed this year as HC.

I saw Smith play a few times this year (yes, I need a life). He is a very, very ball-dominant scorer. It was unclear to me whether he is ball dominant by nature or this was just determined to be the best option for a really bad Columbia team to compete. He can create well off the dribble though his size definitely limited him. He would make a lot of really impressive plays but also would tend to get caught inside among the much bigger players. It will be interesting to see how he does in a different system with a lot more talent around him but also against better competition. He is a graduate of Fenwick HS outside Chicago, the alma mater of Corey Maggette.

JasonEvans
04-11-2020, 05:02 PM
Has anyone heard anything about where Purdue C Matt Haarms may end up? He is a productive big and may be able to fill a Plumlee-like role on next year's team. While I have questions about his athleticism and speed, he may be very useful on a team with a noticeable lack of size going into the season. Are we pursuing him?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, a bunch of big time schools reached out to Haarms when he entered the portal but, according to reports, Duke was not one of them. I think that when we got Patrick Tape, that effectively closed the door on another grad transfer. If, as it would appear, Moore and Hurt are both coming back then the Duke 2020-21 roster is really full.

brevity
04-11-2020, 05:54 PM
Has anyone heard anything about where Purdue C Matt Haarms may end up?

From earlier today, a geographically diverse list:

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein

Purdue grad transfer Matt Haarms tells me he has cut his list to the following programs:

Arizona
Arkansas
Boston College
BYU
Gonzaga
Kentucky
Memphis
Minnesota
Texas Tech
UNCG

Immediately eligible.

7:23 AM · Apr 11, 2020 (https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1248949829906112512)

ETA: Our long national nightmare is over. Trey Wertz transfers to Notre Dame, who gave him the Bonzie Colson package and promised 6 more years of eligibility. Other finalists were Arizona, Butler, and North Carolina.

Trey Wertz @_TDub3

COMMITTED! #GoIrish

1:57 PM · Apr 11, 2020 (https://twitter.com/_TDub3/status/1249048942458867712)

UrinalCake
04-11-2020, 09:11 PM
Maybe we can convince Tape to decommit again so we can make a run at Haarms? Kidding!

Missing out in Wertz has got to sting for UNC. They need perimeter shooters in a bad way. There were even rumors out there that Huffman was kicked out specifically to make room for Wertz. Nope!

devildeac
04-11-2020, 10:55 PM
Maybe we can convince Tape to decommit again so we can make a run at Haarms? Kidding!

Missing out in Wertz has got to sting for UNC. They need perimeter shooters in a bad way. There were even rumors out there that Huffman was kicked out specifically to make room for Wertz. Nope!

One of their 17 "bigs" oughtta be able to drain a 3 pointer every couple of weeks or so. I'd be fine with that.

-jk
04-11-2020, 11:53 PM
One of their 17 "bigs" oughtta be able to drain a 3 pointer every couple of weeks or so. I'd be fine with that.

Deano didn’t emphasize the 3, so why should Ol’ Roy?

-jk

arnie
04-12-2020, 07:03 AM

Isn’t Platek returning? I’ve been told great FT shooting under pressure 🥴 translates to solid 3-pt shooting.

roywhite
04-12-2020, 07:25 AM
Isn’t Platek returning? I’ve been told great FT shooting under pressure 🥴 translates to solid 3-pt shooting.

00:56 MISS FT by PLATEK,ANDREW
MISS FT by PLATEK,ANDREW

00:06 MISS FT by PLATEK,ANDREW
GOOD FT by PLATEK,ANDREW

And that fails to capture how ugly the misses were

arnie
04-12-2020, 07:46 AM
MISS FT by PLATEK,ANDREW

GOOD FT by PLATEK,ANDREW

Hey, those misses were online and straight down the middle; not his fault the Dean Dome FT line was arbitrarily set 15-ft from the basket.

camion
04-12-2020, 08:38 AM
MISS FT by PLATEK,ANDREW

GOOD FT by PLATEK,ANDREW

Ugly is such an ugly word. I thought they were lovely.

The misses looked a lot like Tre's intentional miss, just too soft. :)

BD80
04-12-2020, 09:26 AM
It would be truly amusing to watch any of us attempt a crucial free throw in the game's biggest rivalry in front of a packed house with a chance to put the game away for our team.

camion
04-12-2020, 11:15 AM
It would be truly amusing to watch any of us attempt a crucial free throw in the game's biggest rivalry in front of a packed house with a chance to put the game away for our team.

Hey, I did that in high school.

Except the house wasn't packed. And it wasn't our biggest rival. So I guess it's not exactly the same. It did involve a basketball though.

Sank the both. :)

OldPhiKap
04-12-2020, 12:19 PM
OPK, how are the fairways at Augusta in November? Are they Bermuda or over seeded with rye. I want to see that beautiful course in all of it's spender. The Masters Tournament is my favorite of all the majors. I used to take a week of vacation to watch it on television. It helped that my favorite and GOAT, Jack Nicklaus was almost always at the top or near the top of the leaderboard every year. As far as I'm concerned, Jack and Arnie made golf one of the top sporting events. I hope the tournament is played this year.

GoDuke!

November is great weather but unpredictable. Just like the first week of April. No azaleas but it will we worth going/watching.

Since we are traveling a bit OT here. We are in Georgia. My daughter worked the cabin at Amen corner last year and was scheduled to go back this year. (Side note: she said Condolezza Rice's mother was her favorite). Also - most Georgia breweries are trying to stay in business using contactless drive through service

Hope she got some time to wander the course!

Thanks for the info on breweries.

UrinalCake
04-13-2020, 07:58 AM
Louisville lands a highly sought-after guard out of nowhere. Where have we heard THAT before?!?

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops

Louisville has landed San Francisco grad transfer Charles Minlend, he told @stadium. 6-4 guard averaged 14.4 points this past season for the Dons.

Louisville came out of nowhere. Wasn’t even in his final 7: Butler, Arizona, BYU, Arkansas, Mississippi St, Indiana, and Gonzaga

BD80
04-13-2020, 08:51 AM
Louisville lands a highly sought-after guard out of nowhere. Where have we heard THAT before?!?

We'll call it a stimulus check.

Truth&Justise
04-13-2020, 02:35 PM

They did lose transfer Jay Scrubb to the NBA, so they suddenly had a big hole in the rotation.

JasonEvans
04-13-2020, 03:01 PM
Trey Murphy, a 6-8 sharpshooter who averages almost 14 ppg and better than 5 rpg for Rice last season is transferring to Virginia.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1249774124941148165

-Jason "hit 37% of his threes last year on more than 200 attempts. The Cavs are a preseason top 5 team, IMO and the ACC favorite" Evans

Truth&Justise
04-13-2020, 03:11 PM
Trey Murphy, a 6-8 sharpshooter who averages almost 14 ppg and better than 5 rpg for Rice last season is transferring to Virginia.

-Jason "hit 37% of his threes last year on more than 200 attempts. The Cavs are a preseason top 5 team, IMO and the ACC favorite" Evans

UVA is indeed likely a preseason top-5 team, but Murphy won't be part of that--he needs to sit out this upcoming season. But he'll have two years of eligibility after that.

JasonEvans
04-13-2020, 03:14 PM

He is not immediately eligible, so he will sit out a year. Still, a major addition to their team in 2021-22 and a guy who has the length and skills to be on the NBA's radar.

-Jason "and if the NCAA changes the transfer rules this summer, which is still quite possible, then he could play right away" Evans

jhmoss1812
04-13-2020, 03:22 PM
He is not immediately eligible, so he will sit out a year. Still, a major addition to their team in 2021-22 and a guy who has the length and skills to be on the NBA's radar.

-Jason "and if the NCAA changes the transfer rules this summer, which is still quite possible, then he could play right away" Evans

He could play right away if the NCAA changes the transfer rules. However, he was actually pretty vocal about wanting to redshirt. He should provide a very nice replacement for Sam Hauser. Needs to bulk up and learn the defense but I'm excited about this pickup for my Hoos.

DUKIE V(A)
04-13-2020, 04:41 PM

It’s amazing how many players go to Rice and transfer — or so it seems. It’s not the best basketball school, and I imagine it is pretty difficult academically. Visited Rice with my family in December. Beautiful campus.

jv001
04-13-2020, 04:49 PM
It’s amazing how many players go to Rice and transfer — or so it seems. It’s not the best basketball school, and I imagine it is pretty difficult academically. Visited Rice with my family in December. Beautiful campus.

He picked another top academic school in Virginia.

GoDuke!

DUKIE V(A)
04-13-2020, 04:52 PM
[/B]

GoDuke!

Indeed. The players who have left Rice tend to transfer to other top schools. Vandy, UVA, and Duke to name some.

BD80
04-13-2020, 05:25 PM
[/B]

GoDuke!

Actually, one of the 3 or 4 best schools in Virginia.

sagegrouse
04-13-2020, 06:22 PM

It's amazing to me. That's where I got my PhD. Rice won one basketball championship in the old SWC -- 1970 (not counting 1954 and before).

Rice was a very tough science-engineering school, which accommodated ath-a-letes by having majors only jocks could major in. You had to play football if you were a college in Texas. On the academic side, it was "free" and attracted very strong students -- and used to flunk out a lot of them. Kids from small HS's in Texas had no chance of passing Math 100 there. The athletes, however, managed to stay eligible.

jv001
04-14-2020, 08:53 AM
It's amazing to me. That's where I got my PhD. Rice won one basketball championship in the old SWC -- 1970 (not counting 1954 and before).

Rice was a very tough science-engineering school, which accommodated ath-a-letes by having majors only jocks could major in. You had to play football if you were a college in Texas. On the academic side, it was "free" and attracted very strong students -- and used to flunk out a lot of them. Kids from small HS's in Texas had no chance of passing Math 100 there. The athletes, however, managed to stay eligible.

So, Rice is just a little harder on ath-a-letes than Uncheat who doesn't require ath-a-letes to actually attend class and anyone can take exams for them. :cool:

GoDuke!

BD80
04-14-2020, 10:50 AM
… Rice .. accommodated ath-a-letes by having majors only jocks could major in. ...

So, Rice is just a little harder on ath-a-letes than Uncheat who doesn't require ath-a-letes to actually attend class and anyone can take exams for them. :cool: ...

unc SAID AFAM was available to non-athletes, but I didn't and don't believe them.

UrinalCake
04-14-2020, 04:46 PM
Great article on the challenges of transferring from a small school to a P5 program.

https://watchstadium.com/transferring-up-proves-to-be-a-challenge-for-most-mid-major-hoopers-04-13-2020/

907bluedevils
04-14-2020, 08:42 PM
Luther Muhammad is heading to ASU. Great last 24 hours for Mr. Hurley.

DUKIE V(A)
04-14-2020, 09:09 PM

We were impressed by Rice, but it’s academics did not seem for the feint of heat. Seemed high quality and quite demanding and intense.

brevity
04-14-2020, 09:13 PM

Link (https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Luther-Muhammad-Arizona-State-Transfer-Basketbal-146048940/) from 247 Sports. Luther Muhammad sits one season, but then can play two seasons.

"I picked ASU because I believe coach [Bobby] Hurley’s a great coach," Muhammad said. "He wants and let’s his guards create a lot, and is a very intense coach that demands the best out of his guys."

JasonEvans
04-14-2020, 09:22 PM

Muhammad will probably have to sit out a year and will have 2 years of eligibility left. A really nice pickup for Bobby of a kid who can really play tough D.

If Bobby can convince either Remy Martin or Romello White to pull out of the NBA draft, he's probably got a preseason Top 25 team on his hands.

UrinalCake
04-15-2020, 11:18 PM
In more Duke-adjacent news, Marquette picks up OSU transfer DJ Carton. Sounds like Wojo will be dancing with joy.

brevity
04-16-2020, 11:22 AM
Isaiah Wilkins transfers from Virginia Tech to Wake Forest. (https://accsports.com/acc-news/isaiah-wilkins-stays-in-the-acc-will-transfer-from-virginia-tech-to-wake-forest/) He's from Winston-Salem, so this is a homecoming. His lines against Duke as a Hokie:

02/26/19: 4 pts, 1 reb, 1 stl (17 min)
03/29/19: 2 pts, 1 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl (10 min)
12/06/19: 7 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl (16 min)
02/22/20: 11 pts, 6 reb, 5 ast, 3 stl (24 min)

ETA: Not to be confused with the UVA player who graduated in 2018 (https://virginiasports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/isaiah-wilkins/3255).

flyingdutchdevil
04-16-2020, 11:30 AM
Isaiah Wilkins transfers from Virginia Tech to Wake Forest. (https://accsports.com/acc-news/isaiah-wilkins-stays-in-the-acc-will-transfer-from-virginia-tech-to-wake-forest/) He's from Winston-Salem, so this is a homecoming. His lines against Duke as a Hokie:

02/26/19: 4 pts, 1 reb, 1 stl (17 min)
03/29/19: 2 pts, 1 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl (10 min)
12/06/19: 7 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl (16 min)
02/22/20: 11 pts, 6 reb, 5 ast, 3 stl (24 min)

ETA: Not to be confused with the UVA player who graduated in 2018 (https://virginiasports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/isaiah-wilkins/3255).

Christ. Does this mean Manning is keeping his job?

Cheshire Manning is on his, what, 7th life right now?

BD80
04-16-2020, 12:35 PM
Isaiah Wilkins transfers from Virginia Tech to Wake Forest. (https://accsports.com/acc-news/isaiah-wilkins-stays-in-the-acc-will-transfer-from-virginia-tech-to-wake-forest/)

So a second coming of Isaiah, the second coming of Isaiah. Who could have prophesied such a thing?

budwom
04-16-2020, 12:38 PM
^I think it's covered in Two Corinthians...

907bluedevils
04-16-2020, 01:46 PM
Looks like Obi Toppin's brother Jacob is down to Kentucky, Oregon, and Iowa State. Not sure if his year last year at RI warrants that big leap, could be riding the Toppin name wave to a bigger school.

brevity
04-17-2020, 07:36 PM
Landers Nolley II generated interest from more than 40 programs, but today he has trimmed his list to 11 finalists (https://stockrisers.com/2020/04/02/virginia-tech-transfer-landers-nolley-ii-cuts-his-list/): Alabama, Connecticut, Georgetown, Maryland, Memphis, Mississippi, NC State, Oregon, Seton Hall, TCU, and Texas Tech. Pretty sure John Swofford will find a way to block NC State from an in-conference transfer.

Not sure how Georgia went from Not-on-the-List to Top 3 Finalist, but whatever.

Jake @jakeweingarten

Breaking: One of the top-rated transfers Landers Nolley II is down to three finalists, he told @Stockrisers: Georgia, Memphis and Ole Miss. Plus, he broke down each school and said his decision could come ‘sooner than later’ | Story (https://stockrisers.com/2020/04/17/landers-nolley-ii-down-to-three-programs-close-to-deciding/)

5:00 PM · Apr 17, 2020 (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1251269288511639554)

Green Wave Dukie
04-18-2020, 07:37 AM
So a second coming of Isaiah, the second coming of Isaiah. Who could have prophesied such a thing?

Isaiah is helping to resurrect Manning’s coaching career.

sagegrouse
04-18-2020, 09:13 AM
Isaiah is helping to resurrect Manning’s coaching career.

As I learned in History of the Bible, a compulsory course at Duke many decades ago, you would have learned about Proto-Isaiah and Deutero-Isaiah written in different eras. Perhaps there will be Proto-Manning and Deutero-Manning. I think Wake fans would want either Primo-Manning (in the Italian sense of "best") or, even better, Praeteritum-Manning ("long gone").

[Yes, I had to look that one up.]

[And, of course, there was Trito-Isaiah, written even later.]

BD80
04-18-2020, 10:09 AM
As I learned in History of the Bible, a compulsory course at Duke many decades ago, you would have learned about Proto-Isaiah and Deutero-Isaiah written in different eras. Perhaps there will be Proto-Manning and Deutero-Manning. I think Wake fans would want either Primo-Manning (in the Italian sense of "best") or, even better, Praeteritum-Manning ("long gone").

A third coming of Isaiah? - I come to DBR for the basketball, I stay for the knowledge!

TKG
04-18-2020, 10:21 AM

Barney Jones, by any chance?

Indoor66
04-18-2020, 01:10 PM

Or Barney Fife?

BobBender
04-20-2020, 02:21 PM
I often find JD Kings reports on non-Duke stuff to be disjointed, if not inaccurate, which i attributed to someone else editing his stuff and /or creating the headlines for the pieces. One that stands out was his regularly calling the two Virginia players of the recent past “ Kyle” Jerome and “Ty” Guy.
Which brings me to his attempt to connect ND transfer Chris Doherty to UNC’s Matt Doherty. If JD ever left the friendly confines of N.C., he might understand the name “Doherty” is as common in Massachusetts and NY as “ King” is in other parts of this great land.......I find some of his musings entertaining in a bizzare way.

Nrrrrvous
04-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Landers Nolley ends up at Memphis.

So, Mike Young loses -
Wilkins to WFU - he was asked to transfer by the coach
Nolley to Memphis - addition by subtraction is the word from most experts in the area

but gains -
Pemsl - Grad Transfer from Iowa
Diarra (has put his name in the draft) - Grad transfer from K-State
Aluma - Senior who just sat out his transfer year
Kabongo - Junior who lost last year to injury

plus two 4* recruits -
Bamisile - #66 Espn
Maddox - #94 Espn

His not-too-shabby freshman class from last year will now be sophomores - Cone, Cattoor, Radford, Alleyne, Ojiako

Plus the two seniors in Bede and Horne.

Going to be interesting to see what he can do with all these pieces.

BD80
04-20-2020, 04:18 PM
So, Mike Young ...- gains -

I suspect that this was sudden?

gofurman
04-20-2020, 09:51 PM
Landers Nolley ends up at Memphis.

So, Mike Young loses -
Wilkins to WFU - he was asked to transfer by the coach
Nolley to Memphis - addition by subtraction is the word from most experts in the area

but gains -
Pemsl - Grad Transfer from Iowa
Aluma - Senior who just sat out his transfer year
Kabongo - Junior who lost last year to injury

plus two 4* recruits -
Bamisile - #66 Espn
Maddox - #94 Espn

His not-too-shabby freshman class from last year will now be sophomores - Cone, Cattoor, Radford, Alleyne, Ojiako

Plus the two seniors in Bede and Horne.

Going to be interesting to see what he can do with all these pieces.

Having seen what Young
Did at Wofford I think he has the X and O part. If he can recruit I think VT will be fine. Like a Clemson or Miami (football school) it will come down to recruiting. Appears to be starting well w a few top 100 guys

Nrrrrvous
04-20-2020, 09:53 PM
I suspect that this was sudden?

I suspect that this was an attempt at potty humor?

brevity
04-21-2020, 12:35 PM
Finalists for grad transfer Matt Haarms: Kentucky, Texas Tech, BYU.

Purdue transfer Matt Haarms cuts list of schools to three, and will decide this week, he tells @247Sports. | Story (https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Matt-Haarms-Purdue-Transfer-basketball-146204309/)

10:27 AM · Apr 21, 2020 (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1252619981424123905)

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

Sounds like the frontrunners for Matt Haarms are Kentucky and Texas Tech. BYU also still in the mix.

9:28 AM · Apr 21, 2020 (https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1252605120795283456)

Jake @jakeweingarten

BYU’s very much in the mix for Matt Haarms. Hearing the staff has been in heavy contact plus Mark Pope showed him the campus via virtual call.

10:17 AM · Apr 21, 2020 (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1252617352908279808)

JasonEvans
04-21-2020, 12:44 PM
Finalists for grad transfer Matt Haarms: Kentucky, Texas Tech, BYU.

Purdue transfer Matt Haarms cuts list of schools to three, and will decide this week, he tells @247Sports. | Story (https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Matt-Haarms-Purdue-Transfer-basketball-146204309/)

10:27 AM · Apr 21, 2020 (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1252619981424123905)

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

Sounds like the frontrunners for Matt Haarms are Kentucky and Texas Tech. BYU also still in the mix.

9:28 AM · Apr 21, 2020 (https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1252605120795283456)

Jake @jakeweingarten

BYU’s very much in the mix for Matt Haarms. Hearing the staff has been in heavy contact plus Mark Pope showed him the campus via virtual call.

10:17 AM · Apr 21, 2020 (https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1252617352908279808)

As has been discussed elsewhere on the boards, Kentucky is basically devoid of big men this coming season and could really, really, really use Haarms. Given the need and the exposure he would get in that program, I will be shocked if he picks any other destination. That said, I'm not sure Kentucky's highly athletic style really fits his game. Will be interesting to watch this play out.

sagegrouse
04-21-2020, 12:59 PM

History of the Bible was the one-semester course. I'm reaching for the name, but I had the tall white-haired guy who was around forever and just passed away a few years ago.

For the second semester, Comparative Religions, I had the great, great Herb Sullivan, a fairly young man at the time, but even by that time he had been a practitioner of five of the world's great religions. He was a mesmerizing lecture. In one of his lectures, [we had a large lecture hall in East Duke, I believe] he characterized a primary question of the religions of the Indus Valley 3-5 thousand years ago, "as balancing on the head of an erect phallus."

MChambers
04-21-2020, 02:23 PM
As has been discussed elsewhere on the boards, Kentucky is basically devoid of big men this coming season and could really, really, really use Haarms. Given the need and the exposure he would get in that program, I will be shocked if he picks any other destination. That said, I'm not sure Kentucky's highly athletic style really fits his game. Will be interesting to watch this play out.

I'm a fan of Chris Beard's, and he's got a pretty good record with transfers, so I'll be hoping Haarms chooses TTech.

brevity
04-22-2020, 12:19 AM

Thanks!

We covered Landers Nolley's transfer to Memphis, but somehow we missed the news about the other guy who prompted this thread. Also on Monday, Darius Perry -- a grad transfer formerly of Louisville -- joined Johnny Dawkins and UCF (https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-ucf-basketball-darius-perry-20200421-5mpcl6u52bg5bbdntk5jrpwewa-story.html).

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound guard spent the past three seasons with Cardinals, where he appeared in 100 games and averaged 4.8 points and 1.8 assists per game.

DavidBenAkiva
04-23-2020, 11:27 AM
The backcourt rotation next season in Chapel Hill is going to be real interesting. There's Anthony Harris, who is coming off a second ACL tear in 3 years, two freshman, and Andrew Platek. UNC has been linked to Class of 2020 SG prospect Kerwin Walton as well. They might add another freshman to the mix.

mattman91
04-23-2020, 11:37 AM
The backcourt rotation next season in Chapel Hill is going to be real interesting. There's Anthony Harris, who is coming off a second ACL tear in 3 years, two freshman, and Andrew Platek. UNC has been linked to Class of 2020 SG prospect Kerwin Walton as well. They might add another freshman to the mix.

Darn. Really enjoyed watching him play this season. He was awful.

-jk
04-23-2020, 11:37 AM
Darn. Really enjoyed watching him play this season. He was awful.

No, no. He looked good.

-jk

MChambers
04-23-2020, 11:42 AM
No, no. He looked good.

-jk

Whole heel team looked good. Was hoping Roy could keep them together.

dm9e24
04-23-2020, 11:42 AM
Caleb Love is very good. Someone we were very interested in until Roach committed. He will be a handful.

scottdude8
04-23-2020, 12:18 PM
Big blow to Kentucky (https://www.si.com/college/2020/04/23/matt-haarms-transfer-byu-kentucky?xid=socialflow_facebook_si&utm_campaign=sportsillustrated&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR0YKcifYJioj68gy1z9ENyWCebdYOjEEIHDXE4Ch OyidRWx2rlddIoZNw8), who seemed to be the favorite (as much as such a thing exists) for Haarms at one point.

DavidBenAkiva
04-23-2020, 12:42 PM
Big blow to Kentucky (https://www.si.com/college/2020/04/23/matt-haarms-transfer-byu-kentucky?xid=socialflow_facebook_si&utm_campaign=sportsillustrated&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR0YKcifYJioj68gy1z9ENyWCebdYOjEEIHDXE4Ch OyidRWx2rlddIoZNw8), who seemed to be the favorite (as much as such a thing exists) for Haarms at one point.

This was an interesting quote from Haarms:

"I'm an older guy, 23 years old. It wasn't where I'm spending the next four years," Haarms said. "It's not even a one-year deal. It's eight months. At this point in my career, I'm not worried about facilities and locker rooms and how many Nike shoes I'm getting. That stopped being important for me."

scottdude8
04-23-2020, 12:46 PM
That is indeed a very interesting quote. Haarms made it clear early that he wanted to go somewhere where he could be "showcased" for a future at the next level... people forget he's Dutch, meaning that even if he isn't an NBA-caliber talent he'd likely be very comfortable and happy playing pro in Europe. If he went to Kentucky it's obvious he'd be viewed as a complementary player and likely the "fifth option" amongst the starting five offensively, but at BYU there's the potential for him to be the center of the offense and perhaps show off some perimeter skills that the system at Purdue just didn't allow.

Regardless, this is definitely a blow to Kentucky's chances next year... they may not have a guy above 6'9'' on their roster next year (and I believe their tallest guys will be non 5* freshmen). They're going to have to fully embrace small ball to have a shot to compete at the level they want to.

jimsumner
04-23-2020, 12:57 PM
That is indeed a very interesting quote. Haarms made it clear early that he wanted to go somewhere where he could be "showcased" for a future at the next level... people forget he's Dutch, meaning that even if he isn't an NBA-caliber talent he'd likely be very comfortable and happy playing pro in Europe. If he went to Kentucky it's obvious he'd be viewed as a complementary player and likely the "fifth option" amongst the starting five offensively, but at BYU there's the potential for him to be the center of the offense and perhaps show off some perimeter skills that the system at Purdue just didn't allow.

Regardless, this is definitely a blow to Kentucky's chances next year... they may not have a guy above 6'9'' on their roster next year (and I believe their tallest guys will be non 5* freshmen). They're going to have to fully embrace small ball to have a shot to compete at the level they want to.

Some people were wondering if Duke would have gotten involved if he had become available prior to Duke securing Tape for next season. These comments suggest that Duke likely would have had no more luck with him than did Kentucky.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-23-2020, 01:08 PM

Also, BYU's coach is 6-10 Mark Pope (who went to Kentucky) and we all know that only big men can coach big men.

DavidBenAkiva
04-23-2020, 01:10 PM

I think there was definitely a cultural component to this decision. By that, I mean that BYU is going to be considerably older as a team next year than will Kentucky or even Texas Tech. I doubt Haarms will be the center of the offense. He wasn't even a third option at Purdue. Their backcourt has a good backcourt led by Alex Barcello (transfer from Arizona, I think). They are going to be a good team and I think Haarms will make them better. But I don't see this as anything more than him getting the right fit and role.

flyingdutchdevil
04-23-2020, 01:29 PM

This dude is as Dutch as they come! He's a lanky, tall white dude. Dutch men are the tallest in the world. They are lanky. Those who are white are often pasty.

And his last name is Haarms. Spelled similar "Haarlem", a city in the Netherlands that is the namesake for the area in northern Manhattan.

Also, this dude chose BYU!?!?!!?!?!?!? A citizen from arguably the most liberal country in the world chose a school notorious for their conservatism? Color me shocked.

jaywilliams22
04-23-2020, 01:36 PM
Caleb Love is very good. Someone we were very interested in until Roach committed. He will be a handful.

Agreed, and they are bringing in RJ Davis as well who is pretty underrated IMO. I've mentioned that I have seen Stepinac play many games (RJ Davis/Adrian Griffin's high school team), and think Davis is going to be a real pain in the *** for us the next 3-4 years. There's no doubt in my mind that RJ Davis is better than Jeremiah Francis right now - wish he was going elsewhere.

scottdude8
04-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Some people were wondering if Duke would have gotten involved if he had become available prior to Duke securing Tape for next season. These comments suggest that Duke likely would have had no more luck with him than did Kentucky.

"Some people" would've been me, haha... and I think you're 100% right. All things considered I think K did the right thing finding a guy who fit the role he envisioned for our "5" man next season.

scottdude8
04-23-2020, 01:38 PM
This dude is as Dutch as they come! He's a lanky, tall white dude. Dutch men are the tallest in the world. They are lanky. Those who are white are often pasty.

And his last name is Haarms. Spelled similar "Haarlem", a city in the Netherlands that is the namesake for the area in northern Manhattan.

Also, this dude chose BYU!?!?!!?!?!?!? A citizen from arguably the most liberal country in the world chose a school notorious for their conservatism? Color me shocked.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but wasn't going to say it out loud ;)

And yeah, anyone who's seen Haarms play would never forget he's Dutch... but to the casual fan who knows, there are tons of American basketball players with weird names, haha.

CDu
04-23-2020, 02:08 PM

Eh, I think they will probably be fine, and Francis was a nonfactor either way. They have Caleb Love, who is comparable to Jeremy Roach in prospect value and should fit right into the lead guard role at UNC. They have Anthony Harris (who looked pretty good for UNC before his ACL injury and should be back to full strength by next season) and Leaky Black (a talented veteran) on the wings. Behind those 3, they'll have RJ Davis (a top-50 kid who would have beaten out Francis for the backup PG spot anyway), Puff Johnson (another top-50 type), and our personal favorite here at DBR: Platek. Platek is the only real liability I see of the group, but as a role player who just plays defense and spots up (as opposed to the larger role he was forced into this year) he should be tolerable for them. The wing spot at UNC is the least complicated spot on the roster. So the question will be whether Love is up to the task at PG.

MChambers
04-23-2020, 02:22 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing, but wasn't going to say it out loud ;)

And yeah, anyone who's seen Haarms play would never forget he's Dutch... but to the casual fan who knows, there are tons of American basketball players with weird names, haha.

He's the second coming of Rick Smits!

flyingdutchdevil
04-23-2020, 02:44 PM
He's the second coming of Rick Smits!

Rik Smits.

If there is one thing to learn about the Dutch today, it's that their first names are wild. Rik is fairly normal, but this isn't short for Richard. It's Rik.

UrinalCake
04-23-2020, 03:51 PM

That also have Kenny Smith’s kid. You know, what’s-his-name.

BD80
04-23-2020, 04:25 PM

I hear Calipari is reaching out to Pat Riley for help ...

CrazyNotCrazie
04-23-2020, 04:35 PM
I hear Calipari is reaching out to Pat Riley for help ...

When the NCAA stops by to question his recruiting, Calipari can now say "no Haarms, no foul" and that he is "out of Haarms way." And with those puns I think I violated the oath to do no Haarms.

MChambers
04-23-2020, 05:01 PM
Rik Smits.

If there is one thing to learn about the Dutch today, it's that their first names are wild. Rik is fairly normal, but this isn't short for Richard. It's Rik.

I defer to your Dutch expertise. I'm sure I once knew it was Rik, but it was a while ago.

UrinalCake
04-23-2020, 09:03 PM
I defer to your Dutch expertise. I'm sure I once knew it was Rik, but it was a while ago.

Luc Longley says hello.

Oh no, not Petway!
04-23-2020, 11:25 PM
Isn’t Luc Longley an Aussie? If only there was a quick and easy way to find out......

JasonEvans
05-01-2020, 09:31 AM
Wake's Olivier Saar has entered the transfer portal because he is upset that Manning was fired and it seems he does not want to play for Forbes. This is a big deal. Dude was a 3rd team All-ACC performer (and absolutely wrecked us) and is probably the best transfer on the market. He was also looking at the NBA draft but could not get his paperwork in in time when Manning was fired.

I am sure that Kentucky is salivating at this news. They really need a big man.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29122687/wake-forest-center-olivier-sarr-says-enter-transfer-portal

BD80
05-01-2020, 12:17 PM
Wake's Olivier Saar has entered the transfer portal because he is upset that Manning was fired... He was also looking at the NBA draft but could not get his paperwork in in time when Manning was fired. ...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29122687/wake-forest-center-olivier-sarr-says-enter-transfer-portal

I wonder if the timing of Manning's firing was a coincidence?

UrinalCake
05-01-2020, 01:00 PM
I read that Saar is applying for a waiver to be able to play immediately. He will likely get it, as is the case when head coaches get fired. Don’t know that we would be interested in him though, with Tape and Williams on board.

TywinBlue
05-01-2020, 05:47 PM
Wake's Olivier Saar has entered the transfer portal because he is upset that Manning was fired and it seems he does not want to play for Forbes. This is a big deal. Dude was a 3rd team All-ACC performer (and absolutely wrecked us) and is probably the best transfer on the market. He was also looking at the NBA draft but could not get his paperwork in in time when Manning was fired.

I would be STUNNED if he went anywhere but Kentucky.

scottdude8
05-01-2020, 08:14 PM

I’m pretty sure that’s what everyone said about Haarms too... and we know how that turned out.

JasonEvans
05-01-2020, 08:49 PM
I’m pretty sure that’s what everyone said about Haarms too... and we know how that turned out.

Yeah, BYU is about as anti-Kentucky as almost any program I can think of. Saar may want the ball in his hands a lot and want to be a big time scorer at his next destination. While Kentucky desperately needs a big man to grab some boards and protect the rim, I suspect that big won't get many touches with Terrence Clark and BJ Boston dominating the ball.

jv001
05-02-2020, 07:41 AM
Yeah, BYU is about as anti-Kentucky as almost any program I can think of. Saar may want the ball in his hands a lot and want to be a big time scorer at his next destination. While Kentucky desperately needs a big man to grab some boards and protect the rim, I suspect that big won't get many touches with Terrence Clark and BJ Boston dominating the ball.

Jason, did Saar say that if he didn't get a release so that he can play next season, he'd stay at Wake? I know most times transfers are approved when there's a coaching change. But like you said, Saar is probably the best player in the transfer portal. He sure killed us in the game at Wake. I hate that these kids are jumping ship because Manning was fired. It tells me that Manning was a player's coach and he was loved by his kids. Too bad he couldn't recruit and was a terrible in game coach.

GoDuke!

jimsumner
05-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Jason, did Saar say that if he didn't get a release so that he can play next season, he'd stay at Wake? I know most times transfers are approved when there's a coaching change. But like you said, Saar is probably the best player in the transfer portal. He sure killed us in the game at Wake. I hate that these kids are jumping ship because Manning was fired. It tells me that Manning was a player's coach and he was loved by his kids. Too bad he couldn't recruit and was a terrible in game coach.

GoDuke!

Manning's program was ravaged by transfers, which suggests that maybe he wasn't a players coach.

Or at least, that it's complicated.

jv001
05-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Manning's program was ravaged by transfers, which suggests that maybe he wasn't a players coach.

Or at least, that it's complicated.

Maybe he was a players coach to the players that are transferring now and giving the reason for said transfer, they liked Coach Manning.:cool::cool:

lotusland
05-05-2020, 10:10 PM
Michigan loses another transfer.

https://yourhealthygut.com/index_m.php?n=db

brevity
05-05-2020, 11:22 PM
Michigan loses another transfer.

https://yourhealthygut.com/index_m.php?n=db

I have no idea why you sent me to a page about Randy Jackson of American Idol and his gut health, but Michigan guard Cole Bajema is transferring (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29139805/michigan-guard-cole-bajema-enters-transfer-portal).

-jk
05-05-2020, 11:31 PM
I have no idea why you sent me to a page about Randy Jackson of American Idol and his gut health, but Michigan guard Cole Bajema is transferring (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29139805/michigan-guard-cole-bajema-enters-transfer-portal).

The new Rick Roll - the Jackson Jive?

-jk

lotusland
05-06-2020, 08:47 AM

Hmmm meant to link from my Apple news feed. Sorry to hear about Randy tho. He’s no Jermaine or Tito but still in my top 5 male Jacksons.

Daddylawman
05-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Hmmm meant to link from my Apple news feed. Sorry to hear about Randy tho. He’s no Jermaine or Tito but still in my top 5 male Jacksons.

Actually 24/7 has him ranked 6, just ahead of LaToya

DangerDevil
05-06-2020, 11:03 AM

I think I’m going to like Steve Forbes.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29142137/wake-forest-basketball-coach-knocks-kentucky-academics-pitch-keep-olivier-sarr

“New Wake Forest coach Steve Forbes said he took a thinly veiled shot at powerhouse Kentucky as he tried to convince star center Olivier Sarr to stay with the Demon Deacons and earn a "prestigious" degree.

"I think the most important thing is, why would you go to Wake for three years, put all that time in to get this prestigious degree, and end up getting your degree at a place like Kentucky?" Forbes said he told Sarr during a radio interview with North Carolina-based WSJS on Tuesday.”

scottdude8
05-06-2020, 11:38 AM
As a Michigan fan this news is a mixed bag: it's simultaneously concerning for next season's prospects (the team will be very thin), but not surprising given the situation and not necessarily a hit on new coach Juwan Howard.

On the one hand, having three transfers out of the program in one summer is never ideal. The timing of Bajema's decision is also interesting considering, after David DeJulius' earlier decision to transfer, he had a clear path to PT as a sharpshooter off the bench this year. Michigan was already going to be relatively thin next season without DeJulius and Colin Castleton (the other transfer), even operating under the assumption that Isaiah Livers returns from testing the draft waters (after all, he isn't even projected in the second round, and there likely will be some limitations on evaluation before the draft). Without Bajema there is going to be more pressure put on the incoming freshman, who even with the gut-punches represented by losing Josh Christopher and Isaiah Todd, was the top ranked class in the Big Ten.

On the other hand, Michigan was an outlier last year in the sense that no one transferred after the coaching change from Beilein to Howard, and only one incoming recruit was lost. So you can view this as a delayed reaction to that coaching change, since all three transfers were Beilein recruits (Bajema being the last recruit to commit under Beilein, and honoring that commitment after the coaching change). If this happened last offseason, and there were two transfers and an extra lost recruit (Bajema) following a coaching change, that wouldn't have been unexpected in the modern college basketball landscape. After a successful first season for Howard in Ann Arbor, its a bit more jarring for this to happen.

That said, there's also the reality that Bajema couldn't crack the lineup last year at all... he was behind Adrien Nunez, a former 3* recruit under Beilein that struggled mightily in basically all aspects last year (he has a sharp-shooter reputation, but has not lived up to that at all), and in one game last year where Michigan had an especially thin bench after Zavier Simpson's suspension, walk on CJ Baird played over Bajema. People were excited about Bajema's potential, but at this point it was entirely potential.

It is also worth viewing this in the broader context of Michigan's odd off-season (Todd decomitting to go to the G-League, and Christopher pulling the rug out and going to Arizona State instead of Michigan). Many Michigan fans/insiders have speculated that either or both decisions caught Howard by surprise, and the players who transferred were operating under the assumption of those two players arriving. All of this could represent Howard's "rude awakening" to the realities of modern college basketball, especially the new landscape of recruiting 5*s when there are so many new factors at play.

I would anticipate Michigan will try to go after a transfer or two to fill out the roster and "balance" the scholarship situation, even if that transfer is of the sit out variety. Otherwise Michigan is looking at a 6-7 man recruiting class next year, which obviously isn't ideal. I still think Michigan is a Top 25 team next season if Livers returns (Michigan could potentially start 3 seniors, one of which has NBA potential, plus a grad transfer and a sophomore with first-round upside). But Howard now has a roster management challenge ahead of him.

907bluedevils
05-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Former Wake center Sarr chooses Kentucky. Interesting in the article it mentions Duke reached out to him.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29142654/olivier-sarr-transfer-kentucky-wake-forest

scottdude8
05-06-2020, 12:53 PM
Former Wake center Sarr chooses Kentucky. Interesting in the article it mentions Duke reached out to him.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29142654/olivier-sarr-transfer-kentucky-wake-forest

Saying that he "heard from" Duke is probably MUCH different than Duke having a significant interest, let alone offering. I've found in a lot of these transfer stories this off-season these things have tended to be portrayed in a potentially misleading way. So I think we should all take that with a major grain of salt. Indeed, it would have been a potentially very bad look for Duke if we went hard after Sarr and "recruited over" Tape.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-06-2020, 01:20 PM
I think I’m going to like Steve Forbes.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29142137/wake-forest-basketball-coach-knocks-kentucky-academics-pitch-keep-olivier-sarr

“New Wake Forest coach Steve Forbes said he took a thinly veiled shot at powerhouse Kentucky as he tried to convince star center Olivier Sarr to stay with the Demon Deacons and earn a "prestigious" degree.

"I think the most important thing is, why would you go to Wake for three years, put all that time in to get this prestigious degree, and end up getting your degree at a place like Kentucky?" Forbes said he told Sarr during a radio interview with North Carolina-based WSJS on Tuesday.”

I assume that Wake doesn't want to do Sarr any favors (except to possibly gain favor with his younger brother, who is apparently very talented), and Forbes knows much more about the details of this than I do, but one would think that after three years at Wake, he would have sufficient credits at his home school (Wake) where the Kentucky credits would be treated like study abroad credits (one could make a compelling argument that living in Kentucky is like living abroad) and he still gets the Wake degree? I don't think it really matters too much to him either way, but just a thought.

Regardless, I agree that I like Forbes' feistiness. I don't think Wake will be battling Kentucky for recruits anytime soon but I would prefer this attitude to the opposite. Forbes has a very tough job ahead of him so best to come in with a good attitude.

DavidBenAkiva
05-06-2020, 01:45 PM

There was a desperate need for a big man in Lexington and they got the best one available.

One thing to note is that Sarr's usage rate at Kentucky is probably going to take a dip next year. The team he'll play on will be worlds better than the one at Wake Forest, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't get as many touches. It happens when you transfer up.

Last year, Nick Richards only had a 20.3% USG rate (T-Rank) and he was clearly the most consistent and often best offensive option for UK. Ashton Hagans, Immanuel Quickley, and Tyrese Maxey all had higher USG.

The year before that, Reid Travis saw his numbers dip across the board after transferring from Stanford. As a JR at Stanford, Travis had a 26.0 USG and averaged 19.5 pts/8.7 reb in 34.0 MPG. As a RS-SR at UK, Travis had a USG of below 20 and averaged 11.2 pts/7.2 reb. Sophomore PJ Washington took on a greater focus in the frontcourt and took more and more of the offensive focus as the season progressed. Wings Keldon Johnson and Tyler Herro were also big contributors that season.

Calipari relies on his wings and guards. Players like Bam Adebayo and even Anthony Davis had a USG of below 20 while burly power forwards like Julius Randle and PJ Washington take a huge portion of the offense. I fully expect the young and inexperienced guards and wings to take on a huge amount of the scoring load next season, most notably BJ Boston and Terrence Clarke. They would benefit from feeding Sarr in the post, but it's not the style that Calipari likes to play. It wouldn't be all that surprising to see Sarr average a pedestrian 10 pts/8 rebs/1 blk a game if he is cleared to play next season.

TywinBlue
05-06-2020, 02:03 PM

This one was too easy.

jv001
05-06-2020, 05:18 PM
Saying that he "heard from" Duke is probably MUCH different than Duke having a significant interest, let alone offering. I've found in a lot of these transfer stories this off-season these things have tended to be portrayed in a potentially misleading way. So I think we should all take that with a major grain of salt. Indeed, it would have been a potentially very bad look for Duke if we went hard after Sarr and "recruited over" Tape.

Before I read the article that quoted Saar saying it was a hard decision in leaving Wake and he loved the school but he thought it would be the best thing for him. I took that to mean, he had a better chance of making it in the NBA if he played for Cal and Kentucky. I hope the corrupt NCAA has him sit out one year before he's eligible to play. I think his previous reasons for leaving was because he didn't like the Manning firing.

GoDuke!

Bluedog
05-06-2020, 07:19 PM
I assume that Wake doesn't want to do Sarr any favors (except to possibly gain favor with his younger brother, who is apparently very talented), and Forbes knows much more about the details of this than I do, but one would think that after three years at Wake, he would have sufficient credits at his home school (Wake) where the Kentucky credits would be treated like study abroad credits (one could make a compelling argument that living in Kentucky is like living abroad) and he still gets the Wake degree? I don't think it really matters too much to him either way, but just a thought.

Unlikely unless he can graduate with summer credits or something, his degree will be from UK, I suspect. The vast majority of elite basketball players frankly don't care much where they get their academic diploma from though...

UrinalCake
05-06-2020, 09:43 PM
Sarr has been quoted as saying his transfer had nothing to do with the Manning firing, he just wanted to play somewhere else. I think he was trying to not trash his former school, which is admirable, but in the process he may have hurt his chances at being awarded the transfer waiver. He was also quoted as saying that he will not sit for a year, if he doesn't get the waiver then he will go overseas or to the G league.

EDIT: the quote was made last week (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29142654/olivier-sarr-transfer-kentucky-wake-forest)

"I could go pro, play one year in the EuroLeague, somewhere to get ready for the NBA," he said. "There's no way I sit out."

DavidBenAkiva
05-07-2020, 08:29 AM
Sarr has been quoted as saying his transfer had nothing to do with the Manning firing, he just wanted to play somewhere else. I think he was trying to not trash his former school, which is admirable, but in the process he may have hurt his chances at being awarded the transfer waiver. He was also quoted as saying that he will not sit for a year, if he doesn't get the waiver then he will go overseas or to the G league.

EDIT: the quote was made last week (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29142654/olivier-sarr-transfer-kentucky-wake-forest)

"I could go pro, play one year in the EuroLeague, somewhere to get ready for the NBA," he said. "There's no way I sit out."

I hadn't seen the quote about not wanting to sit out a year. The NCAA has very, very rarely granted a waiver for a player that transferred after the coach was fired. They don't do it. I don't agree with that approach, but that's how the NCAA sees it.

I would put the odds of Sarr playing in Lexington next year at less than 50/50. The only way he doesn't have to sit out the season is if he can graduate from Wake Forest this summer.

niveklaen
05-07-2020, 09:06 AM
As a Michigan fan this news is a mixed bag: it's simultaneously concerning for next season's prospects (the team will be very thin), but not surprising given the situation and not necessarily a hit on new coach Juwan Howard.

On the one hand, having three transfers out of the program in one summer is never ideal. The timing of Bajema's decision is also interesting considering, after David DeJulius' earlier decision to transfer, he had a clear path to PT as a sharpshooter off the bench this year. Michigan was already going to be relatively thin next season without DeJulius and Colin Castleton (the other transfer), even operating under the assumption that Isaiah Livers returns from testing the draft waters (after all, he isn't even projected in the second round, and there likely will be some limitations on evaluation before the draft). Without Bajema there is going to be more pressure put on the incoming freshman, who even with the gut-punches represented by losing Josh Christopher and Isaiah Todd, was the top ranked class in the Big Ten.

On the other hand, Michigan was an outlier last year in the sense that no one transferred after the coaching change from Beilein to Howard, and only one incoming recruit was lost. So you can view this as a delayed reaction to that coaching change, since all three transfers were Beilein recruits (Bajema being the last recruit to commit under Beilein, and honoring that commitment after the coaching change). If this happened last offseason, and there were two transfers and an extra lost recruit (Bajema) following a coaching change, that wouldn't have been unexpected in the modern college basketball landscape. After a successful first season for Howard in Ann Arbor, its a bit more jarring for this to happen.

That said, there's also the reality that Bajema couldn't crack the lineup last year at all... he was behind Adrien Nunez, a former 3* recruit under Beilein that struggled mightily in basically all aspects last year (he has a sharp-shooter reputation, but has not lived up to that at all), and in one game last year where Michigan had an especially thin bench after Zavier Simpson's suspension, walk on CJ Baird played over Bajema. People were excited about Bajema's potential, but at this point it was entirely potential.

It is also worth viewing this in the broader context of Michigan's odd off-season (Todd decomitting to go to the G-League, and Christopher pulling the rug out and going to Arizona State instead of Michigan). Many Michigan fans/insiders have speculated that either or both decisions caught Howard by surprise, and the players who transferred were operating under the assumption of those two players arriving. All of this could represent Howard's "rude awakening" to the realities of modern college basketball, especially the new landscape of recruiting 5*s when there are so many new factors at play.

I would anticipate Michigan will try to go after a transfer or two to fill out the roster and "balance" the scholarship situation, even if that transfer is of the sit out variety. Otherwise Michigan is looking at a 6-7 man recruiting class next year, which obviously isn't ideal. I still think Michigan is a Top 25 team next season if Livers returns (Michigan could potentially start 3 seniors, one of which has NBA potential, plus a grad transfer and a sophomore with first-round upside). But Howard now has a roster management challenge ahead of him.

I must say that I have no sympathy here for Howard - his Fab 5 is the group that really opened the floodgates of early departures - before their departure en mass it had only been rare individuals who bolted after pointing to family hardship - an awful lot of this new landscape is a result of the fab 5's actions.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-07-2020, 10:14 AM
I must say that I have no sympathy here for Howard - his Fab 5 is the group that really opened the floodgates of early departures - before their departure en mass it had only been rare individuals who bolted after pointing to family hardship - an awful lot of this new landscape is a result of the fab 5's actions.
Perhaps. But it was going to happen without them just the same.

scottdude8
05-07-2020, 10:55 AM

There are a lot of negative things that can be said about the Fab 5, fairly and unfairly. But don't put that on Howard, who by all accounts has always been a class act. While he left Michigan after his junior year, people don't remember that he managed to still graduate "on time", i.e. on a four-year track, while that last year was spent in the NBA.

From his Wikipedia (yes, you can't always trust Wikipedia, but this is heavily cited and I can vouch for its validity):

Howard became the first NBA athlete who entered the draft early and graduated with his academic class, thus fulfilling a promise he had made to his grandmother on the last day he saw her alive. He told Mitch Albom that when he made it to the NBA, he realized how much leisure time the multimillionaire players had and decided to do something productive instead of find ways to spend his new riches. "I knew if I kept pushing it off, I'd never get it done", he said. He completed his final 32 course hours by taking summer classes in 1994 during the NBA off-season. He took correspondence classes and independent study courses during the following season, studying on road trips and mailing in his papers from the nearest post office. In the end, he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in communications at Michigan. He told Albom that earning his degree made him a better example when speaking about staying in school. Although Howard had spent the prior year playing in the NBA, he returned to campus to partake in graduation ceremonies with his classmates. During the graduation, keynote speaker Marian Wright Edelman paid special recognition to Howard and Fab Five teammates King and Jackson, who graduated together, and noted that Howard's graduation made him a role model for children.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-07-2020, 11:06 AM

Wow, I know the Fab Five gets a lot of heat here for good reason, but I don't think you can place the OAD situation on them. Just because they came in together and left early?

Bay Area Duke Fan
05-07-2020, 11:18 AM
Wow, I know the Fab Five gets a lot of heat here for good reason, but I don't think you can place the OAD situation on them. Just because they came in together and left early?

One of the Five left Michigan after his sophomore year; two left after their junior years; two played four years at Michigan. Three of the Five graduated from Michigan. I wish Duke would recruit players who’d stay in school that long.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-07-2020, 11:42 AM
One of the Five left Michigan after his sophomore year; two left after their junior years; two played four years at Michigan. Three of the Five graduated from Michigan. I wish Duke would recruit players who’d stay in school that long.

Well stated.

brevity
05-07-2020, 11:56 AM

Don't forget the baggy shorts! Five young men conspired to wear baggy shorts, and we were forever changed. It was, quite literally, a firm tug on our social fabric. What a time to be alive. Fun fact: many Americans refused to watch the 1992 movie Howards End (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104454/) because they thought it was about an on-court wardrobe malfunction.

Chris Webber singlehandedly broke the sport of basketball when he, a mere sophomore, went #1 in the 1993 NBA Draft. The results were felt almost immediately that night. About five minutes later, the #2 pick was a freshman named (consults notes) Shawn Bradley. Historians scrambled to find prior examples of underclassmen going that high in the draft, forced to search two whole years to find Kenny Anderson.

Going pro instead of declaring a major! The audacity! I feel faint. Someone bring me a bunch of Dwayne Washington jerseys, because I need to clutch on some Pearls.

JasonEvans
05-07-2020, 12:41 PM
Someone bring me a bunch of Dwayne Washington jerseys, because I need to clutch on some Pearls.

Someone please spork this man for me!

cato
05-07-2020, 02:40 PM

I tried, but could not. Someone else please step up.

mattman91
05-07-2020, 02:45 PM

I tried, but could not. Someone else please step up.

I got you, fam.

CameronBlue
05-07-2020, 02:52 PM
I got you, fam.

To abide by social distancing guidelines, Sporks 6 feet or longer are encouraged.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Don't forget the baggy shorts! Five young men conspired to wear baggy shorts, and we were forever changed. It was, quite literally, a firm tug on our social fabric. What a time to be alive. Fun fact: many Americans refused to watch the 1992 movie Howards End (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104454/) because they thought it was about an on-court wardrobe malfunction.

Chris Webber singlehandedly broke the sport of basketball when he, a mere sophomore, went #1 in the 1993 NBA Draft. The results were felt almost immediately that night. About five minutes later, the #2 pick was a freshman named (consults notes) Shawn Bradley. Historians scrambled to find prior examples of underclassmen going that high in the draft, forced to search two whole years to find Kenny Anderson.

Going pro instead of declaring a major! The audacity! I feel faint. Someone bring me a bunch of Dwayne Washington jerseys, because I need to clutch on some Pearls.

Sporks for Howard's End. I don't care who you are, that there's funny.

Edit: I can't. Someone else step up and do the right thing

TKG
05-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Just received an update from ESPN that McClung from Georgetown is entering the transfer Portal

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29170757/georgetown-mac-mcclung-withdraw-nba-draft-process-enter-transfer-portal

MartyClark
05-13-2020, 05:31 PM
Just received an update from ESPN that McClung from Georgetown is entering the transfer Portal

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29170757/georgetown-mac-mcclung-withdraw-nba-draft-process-enter-transfer-portal

I wonder what that's about. He was getting playing time and doing pretty well before his injuries.

UrinalCake
05-13-2020, 09:34 PM
I wonder what that's about. He was getting playing time and doing pretty well before his injuries.

Georgetown turned into a dumpster fire during the season, with multiple players kicked off the team. McClung initially declared for the draft but then after interviewing with some teams decided to return to college. He might have decided that he had burned too many bridges with Georgetown so his only choice now is to transfer. He is applying for a waiver but I can't imagine he would actually get it, unless the NCAA decides to grant extra leniency this year due to Covid.

jimsumner
05-14-2020, 12:36 PM
Duke is recruiting so many wings in the h.s. class of 2021 I have to wonder if there would be any mutual attraction here.

MChambers
05-14-2020, 12:45 PM
The folks in Alaska, I mean College Park, have signed a transfer post player from Alabama named Galin Smith. Confusingly, he'll help replace Jalen Smith.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/05/12/maryland-basketball-lands-commitment-alabama-transfer-galin-smith/

"Smith, a 6-foot-9 graduate transfer, was a regular contributor for the Crimson Tide over the past three seasons, playing 12.8 minutes per game while averaging 3.2 points and 2.3 rebounds."

MartyClark
05-14-2020, 03:22 PM
Duke is recruiting so many wings in the h.s. class of 2021 I have to wonder if there would be any mutual attraction here.

McClung is a bit small but really good. Arguably better than the shooting guards being recruited in the class of 2021.

This recruiting business seems to be very difficult. Hypothetically, if they could get McClung, is the bird in the hand worth two in the bush? Don't know. I think K and staff earn their money.