PDA

View Full Version : Celebrate the Season's Highlights!...after Grieving Properly

hustleplays
03-13-2020, 03:00 PM
Dear Sister/Fellow DBR Grievers...and Grateful Duke fans.

I was rushing to start a thread asking for each of your personal season's highlights, and then I realized that that would not be wise. We have experienced a deep loss, and we must first grieve properly, else our celebration of the season will be compromised.

So, as a public psychological health aid, I remind us of the 5 Stages of Grief [kudos to Dr. Elizabeth Kugler-Ross] and I highly recommend that you don't rush your navigating through these stages, so that you can come to full Acceptance. I also provide a description of what each Stage might look like in this dire situation.

The Stages:

1] Denial -- Nope, Sun comes up every day in the East, and I'm waiting for Selection Sunday. I've just watched both of Duke vs Carolina's games this season 19 times, and I can TOTALLY FEEL THE MOMENTUM -- every time! Sorry, but I'm not making this up.

2] Anger -- I'm a wanker for saying this! Are you I'm a wanker for saying this kidding me? I've been a very good person all year and now you tell me I can't experience I'm a wanker for saying this March Madness?! No I'm a wanker for saying this way! I'm a wanker for saying this you Dude. And the I'm a Wanke for saying this horses you rode in on.

3] Bargaining -- So, I have a deal: How bout you give us back our MM, and I will agree to come in no higher than the 55%-ile on ESPN's bracket? How bout if we agree that Duke gets no farther than the Final Four? That's more than fair. How bout if we have UNC fans agree to sanitize every venue, person and hot dog before and after every game? I'm meeting you way more than half way here. Give just a little, like a 32 team MM tourney and no Kentucky, is that too much to ask?

4] Depression -- Okay, I confess that I pretty much went to this Step straight off. Even Carolina's dismal, pathetic finale doesn't seem to help much. I've reread and watched Ol Roy's comments expressing his heartfelt pride and confidence in his team, and I'm still in the dumps. Woe upon woe. Alarming that I can't even picture next October. I just see some rec league playing corn hole in Cameron. Ugh.

5] Acceptance -- Well, that took a while, along with some deep reflection, meditation, will power and Scotch. I still have my moments, as they warned me about. But I sense some deeper purpose in all this. Okay, keep it real, that was a stretch. The essential suckitude of what happened cannot be denied, but que sera sera. I'm starting to re-appreciate what these good young men offered us many times this season. Including priceless opportunities to continue to build our own character. Oops, I'm slipping back, sorry. I am going to focus on the amazing moments of great team basketball and individual athleticism. I'm going to remind myself not to be an entitled Duke fan that takes our great teams and program for granted.

Please certify that you have diligently navigated through all of the essential 5 Stages of Grief.

Excellent! Now, please share your most favorite highlights of the season.

For starters, mine is J Rob's amazing last game, seeing his athletic and leadership impact, and then seeing his dad, The Admiral, show joy and gratitude as he stood up to applaud his son. I marveled at all the games that J Rob's dad showed up, even when J Rob didn't see the floor. That makes a lot of other things more than worthwhile for me.

Please tell us what brings joy to you as you recount this season. Thanks and Go Duke!

kako
03-13-2020, 03:45 PM
Dear Sister/Fellow DBR Grievers...and Grateful Duke fans.

I was rushing to start a thread asking for each of your personal season's highlights, and then I realized that that would not be wise. We have experienced a deep loss, and we must first grieve properly, else our celebration of the season will be compromised.

So, as a public psychological health aid, I remind us of the 5 Stages of Grief [kudos to Dr. Elizabeth Kugler-Ross] and I highly recommend that you don't rush your navigating through these stages, so that you can come to full Acceptance. I also provide a description of what each Stage might look like in this dire situation.

The Stages:

1] Denial -- Nope, Sun comes up every day in the East, and I'm waiting for Selection Sunday. I've just watched both of Duke vs Carolina's games this season 19 times, and I can TOTALLY FEEL THE MOMENTUM -- every time! Sorry, but I'm not making this up.

2] Anger -- I'm a wanker for saying this! Are you I'm a wanker for saying this kidding me? I've been a very good person all year and now you tell me I can't experience I'm a wanker for saying this March Madness?! No I'm a wanker for saying this way! I'm a wanker for saying this you Dude. And the I'm a Wanke for saying this horses you rode in on.

3] Bargaining -- So, I have a deal: How bout you give us back our MM, and I will agree to come in no higher than the 55%-ile on ESPN's bracket? How bout if we agree that Duke gets no farther than the Final Four? That's more than fair. How bout if we have UNC fans agree to sanitize every venue, person and hot dog before and after every game? I'm meeting you way more than half way here. Give just a little, like a 32 team MM tourney and no Kentucky, is that too much to ask?

4] Depression -- Okay, I confess that I pretty much went to this Step straight off. Even Carolina's dismal, pathetic finale doesn't seem to help much. I've reread and watched Ol Roy's comments expressing his heartfelt pride and confidence in his team, and I'm still in the dumps. Woe upon woe. Alarming that I can't even picture next October. I just see some rec league playing corn hole in Cameron. Ugh.

5] Acceptance -- Well, that took a while, along with some deep reflection, meditation, will power and Scotch. I still have my moments, as they warned me about. But I sense some deeper purpose in all this. Okay, keep it real, that was a stretch. The essential suckitude of what happened cannot be denied, but que sera sera. I'm starting to re-appreciate what these good young men offered us many times this season. Including priceless opportunities to continue to build our own character. Oops, I'm slipping back, sorry. I am going to focus on the amazing moments of great team basketball and individual athleticism. I'm going to remind myself not to be an entitled Duke fan that takes our great teams and program for granted.

Please certify that you have diligently navigated through all of the essential 5 Stages of Grief.

Excellent! Now, please share your most favorite highlights of the season.

For starters, mine is J Rob's amazing last game, seeing his athletic and leadership impact, and then seeing his dad, The Admiral, show joy and gratitude as he stood up to applaud his son. I marveled at all the games that J Rob's dad showed up, even when J Rob didn't see the floor. That makes a lot of other things more than worthwhile for me.

Please tell us what brings joy to you as you recount this season. Thanks and Go Duke!

Is there really a question what is the best highlight this season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOae3gMPEZw

9F

Devilwin
03-13-2020, 04:15 PM
Tre's heroics and his improvement as a three point shooter.

Vern's big games.

Wendell beating UNC.

Cassius' mighty awesome dunks.

The payback to State.

Jordan's move to a competent starter.

Beating Kansas and the whipping laid on MSU at their place.

arnie
03-13-2020, 06:57 PM

9F

Thanks for the great link. Platek may be my favorite Cheat of all time. I’d forgotten how weak-kneed those two 13 ft. FTs were at about 50 seconds.

Truth&Justise
03-13-2020, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the great link. Platek may be my favorite Cheat of all time. I’d forgotten how weak-kneed those two 13 ft. FTs were at about 50 seconds.

His performance in that game joins Tyler Zeller's legendary final minute against Duke in 2012, where he tipped a ball into his own basket, missed a free throw, and then had the game winning shot scored over him.

Stray Gator
03-13-2020, 08:20 PM

I've got no use for Platek after his attempt to injure Cassius Stanley in the game at Cameron. At the time of the play, when Tre Jones threw a half-court-length pass to a streaking Stanley on a breakaway, I couldn't tell from my seat in Section 5 whether Platek's undercut that sent Stanley sprawling dangerously was intentional. But if you can access a replay of the game on your DVR or on Watch ESPN, go to the 7-minute mark of the first half, watch the play unfold through the 6:53 mark, and then watch the instant replay showing the view from backboard camera at the end of the court as they were racing towards that goal. The replay leaves no doubt that Platek, while running alongside Stanley, turned his head, saw the pass was coming, and then turned his head back to locate the airborne Stanley in time to deliberately extend his right hip under Stanley as he was descending. It was a dirty move, calculated to stop Stanley from scoring without regard to the potentially injurious consequences.

Skydog
03-13-2020, 08:56 PM

9F

Re-watching that was sooooo enjoyable. I needed that.