PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament - no more fans after Wednesday

jimsumner
03-11-2020, 08:17 PM
From ACC

“In light of the rapidly changing landscape regarding COVID-19, the latest developments nationally from health authorities and today’s announcement by the NCAA COVID-19 Advisory Panel, the ACC will alter the remainder of the ACC Tournament. After consultation with the league’s presidents and athletic directors, it was determined that beginning Thursday, March 12, all games will be played with only essential tournament personnel, limited school administrators and student-athlete guests, broadcast television and credentialed media members present.”

devilish
03-11-2020, 08:23 PM
Will Swofford refund our tickets?

AtlBluRew
03-11-2020, 08:36 PM
I’m glad that the ACC is giving its NCAA-bound teams a chance to experience playing in an empty arena. It will be a strange thing.

MChambers
03-11-2020, 08:42 PM
Will Swofford refund our tickets?

If UNCheat wins the late game, sell your tickets for the rest of the tourney to any Kerlina fans you can find.

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 08:48 PM
I’m glad that the ACC is giving its NCAA-bound teams a chance to experience playing in an empty arena. It will be a strange thing.

I've been thinking...this is probably a benefit to smaller teams from smaller conferences (who are used to playing in front of sparse crowds) right? It's almost going to feel like a practice atmosphere for the big time programs.

dukelifer
03-11-2020, 08:54 PM
From ACC

“In light of the rapidly changing landscape regarding COVID-19, the latest developments nationally from health authorities and today’s announcement by the NCAA COVID-19 Advisory Panel, the ACC will alter the remainder of the ACC Tournament. After consultation with the league’s presidents and athletic directors, it was determined that beginning Thursday, March 12, all games will be played with only essential tournament personnel, limited school administrators and student-athlete guests, broadcast television and credentialed media members present.”

The teams most likely to go to the tourney will get a chance to play in this new fan-less environment.

Dukehky
03-11-2020, 09:30 PM
So. This is a major bummer for every reason people can think of. But, if we're looking for silver linings, is anyone else really excited about the potential to actually hear Coach K coach, yell at refs, etc. To hear the players talk on defense, jaw at each other, talk with the coaches?

My guess is that they'll have to take the mics off the court, because I've heard K from a game I got to sit behind the bench, and it is... not suitable for younger or more "delicate" audiences. It was awesome.

follyblue
03-11-2020, 09:30 PM
Very bummed. Got up to Greensboro today, saw two bad games so far, and have to watch tomorrow on tv. If there is anything to catch down here, I have already caught it.

follyblue
03-11-2020, 09:32 PM
And it is 90% Carolina fans. Go Cuse.

DukieInKansas
03-11-2020, 09:47 PM
So. This is a major bummer for every reason people can think of. But, if we're looking for silver linings, is anyone else really excited about the potential to actually hear Coach K coach, yell at refs, etc. To hear the players talk on defense, jaw at each other, talk with the coaches?

My guess is that they'll have to take the mics off the court, because I've heard K from a game I got to sit behind the bench, and it is... not suitable for younger or more "delicate" audiences. It was awesome.

No - we'll get Jay Bilas/Dickie V without any crowd noise.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-11-2020, 09:50 PM
No - we'll get Jay Bilas/Dickie V without any crowd noise.
Maybe. If NBA is suspending season, I just wonder how long before NCAA feels pressure to cancel tournament.

WiJoe
03-11-2020, 09:51 PM
According to Duke notes, it's shulman & bilas

dukelifer
03-11-2020, 09:54 PM
Maybe. If NBA is suspending season, I just wonder how long before NCAA feels pressure to cancel tournament.

This will be 10x worse in three weeks. I don’t see how they can hold it and encourage the travel of athletes and 70 year old coaches.

weezie
03-11-2020, 09:56 PM

I said on the other thread, I very much believe NCAA follows suit tomorrow. They will pull that plug.

weezie
03-11-2020, 09:58 PM
... I've heard K from a game I got to sit behind the bench, and it is... not suitable for younger or more "delicate" audiences. It was awesome.

So freaking jealous!

-jk
03-11-2020, 10:00 PM
So freaking jealous!

It’s fun. And educational, in many ways! 😈

-jk

Dukehky
03-11-2020, 10:16 PM
This will be 10x worse in three weeks. I don’t see how they can hold it and encourage the travel of athletes and 70 year old coaches.

The NBA suspended the season in large part because Gobert tested positive. To be safe, the NCAA would likely have to test all the players, upwards of 800. There aren't that many tests. The NCAA doesn't have the resources to ensure safety. I would guess that they do probably cancel all bball games. Crappy that the last CBB game of the year might be UNC v. Cuse. Gross.

At least Zion plays at 10:30... Everyone soak it in.

Bluedog
03-11-2020, 10:17 PM

I said on the other thread, I very much believe NCAA follows suit tomorrow. They will pull that plug.

I think the NBA got pushed to do it more because it's an actual player that got diagnosed....but who knows. I think they'll take a wait and see approach.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-11-2020, 10:19 PM
The NBA suspended the season in large part because Gobert tested positive. To be safe, the NCAA would likely have to test all the players, upwards of 800. There aren't that many tests. The NCAA doesn't have the resources to ensure safety. I would guess that they do probably cancel all bball games. Crappy that the last CBB game of the year might be UNC v. Cuse. Gross.

Actually, if tonight is it, I am not totally upset that my final memory of the season is UNC getting demolished.

Dukehky
03-11-2020, 10:20 PM
Actually, if tonight is it, I am not totally upset that my final memory of the season is UNC getting demolished.

Was just about to edit my post to include the same thing...

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-11-2020, 10:22 PM

Will the Pelicans play that game? I assumed the suspension of the season was immediate.

Bigwayne17
03-11-2020, 10:55 PM
Will the Pelicans play that game? I assumed the suspension of the season was immediate.

The answer is no according to ESPN. ‘POSTPONED’

camion
03-11-2020, 11:50 PM
It's not the players I would be really worried about if the tournament(s) continue. There are several coaches that are in the "at risk" demographic.

CameronBornAndBred
03-12-2020, 08:09 PM
John Pastner's inviting everyone over for movie night. He took a few days off and made extra dip.

peloton
03-13-2020, 03:27 PM
John Pastner's inviting everyone over for movie night. He took a few days off and made extra dip.

Is he related to Josh Pastner? 😉

CameronBornAndBred
03-14-2020, 09:10 AM
Is he related to Josh Pastner? 😉
It's his ultra secret covert alias. He has two of those. The other times he goes as "#12".