PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tourneys - Cancelled

Pages : [1] 2

moonpie23
03-11-2020, 04:44 PM
just broke the news....don't have the link, but it's yahoo sports...

this is going to be so weird....

Hartford Dukie
03-11-2020, 04:47 PM
https://twitter.com/NCAA/status/1237838583630721027/photo/1

mattman91
03-11-2020, 04:47 PM
#MarchSadness

weezie
03-11-2020, 04:48 PM
Inside the NCAA twitter. Wow.

dukelifer
03-11-2020, 04:50 PM
just broke the news...don't have the link, but it's yahoo sports...

this is going to be so weird...

People should be able to send a phone and then cheer virtually - or create robot fans that learn all the cheers.

moonpie23
03-11-2020, 04:51 PM
looks like "families can attend"......

i got 12 thousand cousins...

this is blatant cheating for the cheats if they make it in.........they're already used to quiet, silent arenas.....

budwom
03-11-2020, 04:52 PM
Dean Dome can forward some of its recorded "fan noise" to perk things up for TV...kind of like a TV laugh track...

pfrduke
03-11-2020, 04:52 PM
I wonder if they look into alternative venues, particularly for the final 4. No reason to play in a 50,000+ seat building when no one is coming.

thedukelamere
03-11-2020, 04:53 PM
I wonder how our guys stack up against other squads in a subdued, somewhat lifeless stadium...

DukieInKansas
03-11-2020, 04:55 PM
looks like "families can attend"...

this is blatant cheating for the cheats if they make it in.....they're already used to quiet, silent arenas....

If any of the smaller schools in St. Louis or Omaha want to let me adopt a team member - I'll go and be a very vocal fan for them. :D

dukelifer

this is blatant cheating for the cheats if they make it in....they're already used to quiet, silent arenas...

Is there a limit to the number of managers?

duke4ever19
Dean Dome can forward some of its recorded "fan noise" to perk things up for TV...kind of like a TV laugh track...

Yes! Canned laughter whenever UNC misses a shot! I’m all-in on this.

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 04:56 PM
So I am thinking that this helps Duke. No Greenville, SC situation for sure.

weezie
03-11-2020, 04:56 PM
Can we sit six rows and six seats away from each other? I'd actually prefer that.
Signed. Aunt weezie

weezie
03-11-2020, 04:58 PM
...this is blatant cheating for the cheats if they make it in.....they're already used to quiet, silent arenas....

... the sound of crying babies.

Wander
03-11-2020, 05:00 PM
I wonder how our guys stack up against other squads in a subdued, somewhat lifeless stadium...

Coach K is a master at motivation and flexibility, and is at his best when teams are on level playing fields with regards to a small amount of time to prepare. That's why Duke is so great early in the season nearly every year. I think this situation is an advantage for Duke basketball-wise.

budwom
03-11-2020, 05:03 PM
we could have some more of those aircraft carrier games...

Devilwin
03-11-2020, 05:03 PM
Hope everyone gets their money back...............

Atlanta Duke
03-11-2020, 05:04 PM
I wonder if they look into alternative venues, particularly for the final 4. No reason to play in a 50,000+ seat building when no one is coming.

From Luke DeCock's column in the N&O this morning

Turner Broadcasting executives Tuesday morning acknowledged they could broadcast the Final Four from somewhere other than Mercedes-Benz Stadium, and Georgia Tech’s newly renovated McCamish Pavilion makes all the sense in the world

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article241077166.html#storylink=cpy

weezie
03-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Go NIT style and play at the higher seed's home gym.

Yeah I know, the travel issue, but it would be pretty cool.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2020, 05:14 PM
This is going to be a strange end to a strange season.

flyingdutchdevil
03-11-2020, 05:22 PM
...can't say I'm surprised. Look what's happening to soccer all across Europe.

This is a smart move by the NCAA. NBA will likely following suit in the next 1-3 days.

Truth&Justise
03-11-2020, 05:23 PM
From Luke DeCock's column in the N&O this morning

Turner Broadcasting executives Tuesday morning acknowledged they could broadcast the Final Four from somewhere other than Mercedes-Benz Stadium, and Georgia Tech’s newly renovated McCamish Pavilion makes all the sense in the world

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article241077166.html#storylink=cpy

I live very close to McCamish Pavilion. It's somehow disappointing to know the Final Four might be so close, but I can't go.

J4Kop99
03-11-2020, 05:23 PM
How fast does the asterisk get slapped on this once Duke wins?

Let's go!! Rain or shine. Fans or no fans.

--At the same time, this is all very unfortunate. This is an extreme precaution but better to be safe with something like this, I guess.

utahdevil
03-11-2020, 05:27 PM
I think this helps Duke. Any time Duke plays in the tournament and its opponent - who's usually a lower-seeded underdog - performs well and either keeps the game close or is leading, the entire arena (minus the actual Duke fans) root hard for the other team. That team then gains momentum etc. by feeding off the crowd. With the elimination of all fans, Duke won't have to deal with this phenomenon and hopefully that will benefit them.

Truth&Justise
03-11-2020, 05:28 PM

this is blatant cheating for the cheats if they make it in.....they're already used to quiet, silent arenas....

Too bad we don't have Chucky Okafor in the family section this year! He'd get that section loud enough that you couldn't tell the difference.

pfrduke
03-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Since we have The Brotherhood does that make all our former players family?

duke79
03-11-2020, 05:32 PM

Card Gym should be available??

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 05:33 PM

Does mods need sporks?

DukieInKansas
03-11-2020, 05:37 PM

I think Antonio Sellers (newest member of The Brotherhood) and family should count as family.

BigZ
03-11-2020, 05:38 PM
Give the 1-4 sounds home court i. The first two rounds with their matchups playing on their courts

For example 1 seed hosts 16 seed and 8 and 9 matchup plays on 1 seed court

DU82
03-11-2020, 05:40 PM
Give the 1-4 sounds home court i. The first two rounds with their matchups playing on their courts

For example 1 seed hosts 16 seed and 8 and 9 matchup plays on 1 seed court

So, just like the women's tournament?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-11-2020, 05:47 PM

OUCH........

On the other hand, why have many thousands of fans at 16 different arenas when you can spread them out to thousands of sports bars and private gatherings? (does the NCAA think these people are going to stay home and wash hands all day?)

hallcity
Will the ACC Tournament allow in fans tomorrow?

Phredd3

But without fans..... Hey, that is just like the women's tournament.

I get to say this, since I have been front and center every time Duke hosts.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-11-2020, 05:48 PM
I think this helps Duke. Any time Duke plays in the tournament and its opponent - who's usually a lower-seeded underdog - performs well and either keeps the game close or is leading, the entire arena (minus the actual Duke fans) root hard for the other team. That team then gains momentum etc. by feeding off the crowd. With the elimination of all fans, Duke won't have to deal with this phenomenon and hopefully that will benefit them.

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE....and let's not forget those fans' impact on the officials...

Oh, wait, Duke gets all the calls...I keep forgetting...

JasonEvans
03-11-2020, 05:49 PM
I have a way for the NCAA to recoup some of the lost ticket revenue.

Auction off a very limited number of seats (like 50) for each game. Each seat would be at least 20-feet away from the next seat so there would be no virus spread concerns. You know some rich alumns are gonna pay big bucks to be one of the elite who actually get to attend a game. Maybe just say that seats are $50,000 each and say you will not sell more than 100 seats.

Pretty elitist, probably not a good look. Nevermind.

mattman91
03-11-2020, 05:52 PM
I have a way for the NCAA to recoup some of the lost ticket revenue.

Auction off a very limited number of seats (like 50) for each game. Each seat would be at least 20-feet away from the next seat so there would be no virus spread concerns. You know some rich alumns are gonna pay big bucks to be one of the elite who actually get to attend a game. Maybe just say that seats are $50,000 each and say you will not sell more than 100 seats.

Pretty elitist, probably not a good look. Nevermind.

Screw the NCAA. Let them suffer.

wsb3
03-11-2020, 05:58 PM
This is going to be a strange end to a strange season.

That is a great quote Mtn.Devil.

devilish
03-11-2020, 06:02 PM

Except it’s not just the NCAA that will suffer. It’s the vendors and parking lot attendants, etc.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-11-2020, 06:05 PM
Except it’s not just the NCAA that will suffer. It’s the vendors and parking lot attendants, etc.

Concessionaires, staging people, hotels, restaurants, the venues themselves......and every body they would spend that money with......there is no end to the economic devastation....but on another note, I think this might end the NCAA. I think it will go down as one of the most astonishing over reactions ever IMO.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2020, 06:06 PM
Concessionaires, staging people, hotels, restaurants, the venues themselves...and every body they would spend that money with...there is no end to the economic devastation...but on another note, I think this might end the NCAA. I think it will go down as one of the most astonishing over reactions ever IMO.

I certainly hope history records it as an overreaction.

Boswell
03-11-2020, 06:07 PM
March Muteness.

gam7
03-11-2020, 06:15 PM
This is all just so surreal.

Indoor66
03-11-2020, 06:18 PM

Hotels, motels, restaurants, cabs, airlines, Uber - they all lose.

devilseven
03-11-2020, 06:21 PM
This is all just so surreal.

They should play all the games in Bristol, CT at ESPN studios. I am sure they can come up with 94ft of space somewhere.

gam7
03-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Hotels, motels...

And Holiday Inns.

sagegrouse
03-11-2020, 06:23 PM
March Muteness.

The 'One and Only Bos" -- can you copyright that????

HereBeforeCoachK
03-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Hotels, motels, restaurants, cabs, airlines, Uber - they all lose.

...and everybody they would have spent that money with...and then everybody they would have spent that money with...(economists say that money spent, or not spent, in a tourism related situation like this, has a multiple impact of 7X) - the economic devastation will be recorded as far greater than the health issue.

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 06:26 PM

i.e. 2017 2nd round against the Cocks.

scottdude8
03-11-2020, 06:30 PM
I have come to officially eat crow. A few weeks back when this discussion made its way to the main board from the off-topic board (which I don't frequent as much as I apparently should), I said that discussing this possibility was catastrophizing the situation. I still maintain that, back then, it may have been. But I didn't know how quickly things can change when it comes to something like this, and man did they change quickly. I think this is 100% the right call.

Personal note: I happen to be one of those "at-risk people"... I have Crohn's disease, and the medication I take to control that leaves me immunosuppressed. I also happen to work at the research arm of a hospital... removed from the main area, the ER, etc., but in a hospital building nonetheless. And man, it's left me anxious. I'll probably begin working remotely as much as humanly possible, if not just to avoid the hospital (there have been COVID-19 cases at that hospital), but also to avoid public transit. So in the span of a couple weeks this went from "this should be under control" to "this is real and this is scary" really quick, both in the world at large and for me personally.

I'm at least taking solace that the games will at least happen, and we can enjoy them through the TV. But man is it going to be weird.

Stray Gator
03-11-2020, 06:31 PM
March Muteness.

An appearance here by Boswell, a Founding Father of the DBR, has to be one of the brightest rays of light in a day of depressingly dim news. Good to see you, Bos!

FUBARDoorBuster
03-11-2020, 06:33 PM
Is this the place to pose this hypothetical?
Pick the best 4 or 8 small college classic gyms. Real or past
Palestra, Cameron, Hinkle...
If it has to be empty-ish, where would be the best place to hold the final rounds: one that wouldn't look like an empty airport on TV?

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 06:36 PM
I have come to officially eat crow. A few weeks back when this discussion made its way to the main board from the off-topic board (which I don't frequent as much as I apparently should), I said that discussing this possibility was catastrophizing the situation. I still maintain that, back then, it may have been. But I didn't know how quickly things can change when it comes to something like this, and man did they change quickly. I think this is 100% the right call.

Don't be too disappointed in yourself. I began eating grow a few days ago too.

4Gen
03-11-2020, 06:44 PM

The largest percentage bump was from the NCAA basketball tournament, which more than doubled (the ACC take) from $24.2 million to $56.6 million.

https://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-acc-revenue-taxes-0526-story.html

Rickshaw
03-11-2020, 06:44 PM

I’m with you. Have not heard this is any more deadly than the flu.
It’s just new. Total panic.

chrishoke
03-11-2020, 06:47 PM
Concessionaires, staging people, hotels, restaurants, the venues themselves...and every body they would spend that money with...there is no end to the economic devastation...but on another note, I think this might end the NCAA. I think it will go down as one of the most astonishing over reactions ever IMO.

INHO, you are wrong. Mitigation through social distancing is our best tool to fight this epidemic, but we have to act now.

This is what we are trying to achieve.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vox.com%2F2020%2F3%2F10% 2F21171481%2Fcoronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2gtB9HSHq_DsyCTpFxEcH7 cHEz4iYVQ4LJL1SRd9519LTYrK_6ilGgJWk&h=AT3fgUjMuW4SnvcDTilPEm-MZyYKfGxr8xU2PNZc3wncV6eNPd0p7Cn8g65T54jyw8no0y76j y6Qd4ETvmjQ4xXQwacnXV1mUJFqSWqez5hTOIkn99cQ7kJ33TZ rlhND4q8W9xJN1fiQ8fh14StSWw

chrishoke
03-11-2020, 06:50 PM
I’m with you. Have not heard this is any more deadly than the flu.
It’s just new. Total panic.

Best estimates by experts like Dr, Fauci who testified before Congress yesterday is that it is 10 times more deadly that the flu.

UrinalCake
03-11-2020, 06:54 PM

For the type of people who can afford to spend money going to an NCAA tournament game, I have to imagine that when the event is cancelled they will find some other way to spend it. It’s not like they’ll just take that money and stash it in a 401k once it comes available. If it were me I would probably go out to eat somewhere else, or splurge on something that I didn’t really need.

As for the overreaction, the NCAA’s response seems in one with what other leagues and institutions are doing so it’s hard for me to categorize it as such.

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 06:55 PM

Imagine taking Ls to save lives.

UrinalCake
03-11-2020, 06:57 PM
The largest percentage bump was from the NCAA basketball tournament, which more than doubled (the ACC take) from $24.2 million to $56.6 million.

How much of that money game from ticket revenue at the events, and how much came from TV money? I have to think that the vast majority of what was distributed to the conference comes from TV contracts. And arguably ratings will go UP now that everybody has to watch the games from home.

MarkD83
03-11-2020, 06:59 PM
And Holiday Inns.

but you can't take a friend....

weezie
03-11-2020, 07:04 PM
but you can't take a friend...

Wait a minute, Snoop said you could bring four of your friends.

Rickshaw
03-11-2020, 07:04 PM
Best estimates by experts like Dr, Fauci who testified before Congress yesterday is that it is 10 times more deadly that the flu.

I stand corrected.

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 07:05 PM
Players and coaches (and immediate family if the NCAA allows them as the Big 10 appears to be planning) better be careful what they say/shout out during games...we're going to be hearing just about all of it.

mattyoung18
03-11-2020, 07:07 PM
Coach K is a master at motivation and flexibility, and is at his best when teams are on level playing fields with regards to a small amount of time to prepare. That's why Duke is so great early in the season nearly every year. I think this situation is an advantage for Duke basketball-wise.

I told my wife that this will level the playing field as far as neutral fans and opposition fans rooting against Duke so I see this as a bonus.Should b interesting since this hasn't happened.

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 07:11 PM
We need this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_blZhvI2A) version of One Shining Moment.

bundabergdevil
03-11-2020, 07:15 PM
We need this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_blZhvI2A) version of One Shining Moment.

<shakes head>

I cannot believe I added to that video;s 1.9M views.

DU82
03-11-2020, 07:21 PM
Imagine taking Ls to save lives.

So that’s been the cheaters excuse during the season.

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 07:41 PM
How much of that money game from ticket revenue at the events, and how much came from TV money? I have to think that the vast majority of what was distributed to the conference comes from TV contracts. And arguably ratings will go UP now that everybody has to watch the games from home.

I think it will go down. Games with no fans are going to be hard to get into/get excited about for the casual fans who drive March Madness viewing numbers.

Tripping William
03-11-2020, 08:03 PM
And now the ACC follows suit:

https://theacc.com/news/2020/3/11/statement-from-acc-on-mens-basketball-tournament.aspx

Devilwin
03-11-2020, 08:07 PM
No ACC fans tomorrow...

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 08:08 PM
I haven't seen, are they refunding ticket purchases and things like that?

arnie
03-11-2020, 08:18 PM
I think it will go down. Games with no fans are going to be hard to get into/get excited about for the casual fans who drive March Madness viewing numbers.

Agree, I think significantly lower. Games will not be as interesting for casual or rabid fans. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 25% drop in ratings.

Pghdukie
03-11-2020, 08:20 PM
I assume this determination by NCAA higher-ups will eliminate court storming after a Duke loss !

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-11-2020, 08:28 PM
Certain coaches (clears throat) are going to have to be careful about their volume and choice of language in empty arenas!

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 08:29 PM
Players and coaches (and immediate family if the NCAA allows them as the Big 10 appears to be planning) better be careful what they say/shout out during games...we're going to be hearing just about all of it.

Certain coaches (clears throat) are going to have to be careful about their volume and choice of language in empty arenas!

Not just the coaches, there is a lot of swearing that goes on from players, and some player parents can be...pretty vocal as well.

MartyClark
03-11-2020, 08:29 PM

Yeah, Roy will be embarrassed if is dad gum language is made public.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-11-2020, 08:33 PM
Except that Ol Roy won’t have the chance to be heard in said environment. His final post game press conf of the season will have to suffice. :cool:

dukelion
03-11-2020, 08:33 PM
Agree, I think significantly lower. Games will not be as interesting for casual or rabid fans. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 25% drop in ratings.

Well considering everybody will be stuck at home without anything else to do maybe ratings will actually go up?

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Well considering everybody will be stuck at home without anything else to do maybe ratings will actually go up?

Ratings will definitely go up. WFH.

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 08:44 PM

Roy won't be playing in front of no fans :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2020, 08:46 PM
I assume this determination by NCAA higher-ups will eliminate court storming after a Duke loss !

Let's not find out

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 08:46 PM

Ratings will definitely go up. WFH.

Except there's not going to be any "madness" to get sucked into. A large portion of NCAA Tourney viewers are not regular basketball fans. Watching games without crowds is going to feel like watching Friends (or whatever) without a laugh track for a lot of people.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2020, 08:47 PM
Roy won't be playing in front of no fans :)

Double negative for the win.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-11-2020, 08:49 PM
Except there's not going to be any "madness" to get sucked into. A large portion of NCAA Tourney viewers are not regular basketball fans. Watching games without crowds is going to feel like watching Friends (or whatever) without a laugh track for a lot of people.
So you’re saying we’re all about to find out what it’s like to watch a game at the myth center?

3rd Dukie
03-11-2020, 08:49 PM
An appearance here by Boswell, a Founding Father of the DBR, has to be one of the brightest rays of light in a day of depressingly dim news. Good to see you, Bos!

Absolutely! Bos, give my best to your lovely bride. Hint: The three of us had lunch in West L.A. (in the harbor) after the UCLA game in '95 or '96. I hope all is good in your world.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2020, 08:50 PM

I'm sure I am not your target audience with that statement (most of us here are rabid fans, obviously) but laugh tracks make me nauseated. I can also do without commentary. Watching without crowd noise will be surreal.

Acymetric
So you’re saying we’re all about to find out what it’s like to watch a game at the myth center?

Close, the Dean's Myth Center is probably a little quieter.

dukelifer
And now the ACC follows suit:

https://theacc.com/news/2020/3/11/statement-from-acc-on-mens-basketball-tournament.aspx

One day too late for the Cuse

Music man55
03-11-2020, 08:51 PM
Hey, I just heard that at the end of the final championship game of the ncaa tourney, they will have the song "One Silent Moment".

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 08:52 PM
I'm sure I am not your target audience with that statement (most of us here are rabid fans, obviously) but laugh tracks make me nauseated. I can also do without commentary. Watching without crowd noise will be surreal.

I never even watched friends, it was just the first example that came to mind. Just trying to point out how weird this is going to be (and why it might actively turn off non-hardcore fans).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2020, 08:55 PM
I never even watched friends, it was just the first example that came to mind. Just trying to point out how weird this is going to be (and why it might actively turn off non-hardcore fans).

It will be super weird.

curtis325
03-11-2020, 09:01 PM

I am hardcore and I never have the sound on when I watch. I do see the crowd shots, though. I guess now it will be endless shots of The Admiral cheering.

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 09:09 PM
I am hardcore and I never have the sound on when I watch. I do see the crowd shots, though. I guess now it will be endless shots of The Admiral cheering.

It did occur to me that this might be somewhat mitigated by people who watch games in bars (where sound is sometimes muted), but there is generally other audio going on at the bar (another game, music, other patrons) or it would be weird there too. I still think it will be weird for people at home, and I would expect bar attendance to be down as well.

dukelifer
03-11-2020, 09:25 PM
It did occur to me that this might be somewhat mitigated by people who watch games in bars (where sound is sometimes muted), but there is generally other audio going on at the bar (another game, music, other patrons) or it would be weird there too. I still think it will be weird for people at home, and I would expect bar attendance to be down as well.

I suppose the network could add some crowd noise and could CGI in some fans in the stands. I wonder if they will get creative.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2020, 09:32 PM
I suppose the network could add some crowd noise and could CGI in some fans in the stands. I wonder if they will get creative.

I just had a visual of 1,000 Jar-Jar Binkses sitting in the stands.

weezie
03-11-2020, 09:45 PM
I now believe March Madness will be cancelled as early as tomorrow.

hallcity
03-11-2020, 10:00 PM
I now believe March Madness will be cancelled as early as tomorrow.

I don’t know about tomorrow but can we get through the next three and a half weeks without a tournament team being hit with Covid-19? Can they keep playing the tournament once that happens? All it took to shut down the NBA was one player testing positive.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-11-2020, 10:05 PM
I don’t know about tomorrow but can we get through the next three and a half weeks without a tournament team being hit with Covid-19? Can they keep playing the tournament once that happens? All it took to shut down the NBA was one player testing positive.
I don’t think there’s a snowball’s chance this year’s tournament even starts. We’ll be lucky to see the conf tournaments conclude at this rate.

I have begun scouring Netflix for new series to watch.

arnie
03-11-2020, 10:09 PM
I don’t think there’s a snowball’s chance this year’s tournament even starts. We’ll be lucky to see the conf tournaments conclude at this rate.

If NCAA and ACC tourneys cancelled, do the Cheats hang a 2020 Helms and ACC Championship banner?

UrinalCake
03-11-2020, 10:26 PM
I think I’m in agreement that the NCAA tournament is likely to be canceled. The fact that the NBA has suspended their season, rather than taking the step of playing in empty arenas, is pretty telling. Who knows what the end game looks like - will the virus eventually taper off and then things slowly get back to normal? - but given the trajectory of the last couple games it’s hard to imagine these games being played. I hope I’m wrong.

It would be a major bummer to us as fans, but also to the players. March Madness is a significant part of their lives and careers, which they’ve dreamed of their whole lives. Maybe the NBA will cancel the draft and all of our players will be forced to come back! But I’m also thinking about teams like Dayton and SDSU, who are having once in a blue moon types of seasons.

CameronBornAndBred
03-11-2020, 10:31 PM
Hope everyone gets their money back........

I haven't seen, are they refunding ticket purchases and things like that?

Here's the scenarios I'm wondering about. Original buyer sells tix on stubhub for a major gain. Takes $, spends it. What happens to that guy? Who is held responsible, him or the resale service? I'm assuming that tickets will only be refunded for face value.

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 10:34 PM
Nebraska's Fred Hoiberg is sick.

Shut it down. Shut it all down.

Don't want to risk K's life.

dukelifer
03-11-2020, 10:41 PM

I agree- the Universities cannot really justify it. They are asking all students to stay away from campus and then asking athletes and coaches to travel around the country to play and risk illness. I don’t see how they let it go forward.

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 10:42 PM
I agree- the Universities cannot really justify it. They are asking all students to stay away from campus and then asking athletes and coaches to travel around the country to play and risk illness. I don’t see how they let it go forward.

Consider K's age. I want him to stay home.

Bluedog
03-11-2020, 10:44 PM
Nebraska's Fred Hoiberg is sick.

Shut it down. Shut it all down.

Don't want to risk K's life.

They haven't said what he's sick with...It's got to be more likely that he's sick with something else, but who knows.

Having said that, going at this rate, I would not be surprised if the NCAA cancels the tournament. I will be severely bummed though....

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 10:48 PM
As soon as the speculation about playing without fans started I wondered if it would make more sense to just cancel. Seems likely now that the NBA has pulled the trigger.

-jk
03-11-2020, 10:52 PM
Yeah, but the nba can resume. The ncaa will be done. Going to make the call tougher.

-jk

chrishoke
03-11-2020, 11:00 PM
The idea of social distancing is drastically reduce risk, not totally eliminate it. The games should still be played.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-11-2020, 11:01 PM
Yeah, but the nba can resume. The ncaa will be done. Going to make the call tougher.

-jk
If they find that Hoiberg has it, that’ll be it. Game over. Or, rather, season over.

dukelifer
03-11-2020, 11:02 PM

-jk

But keeping players on campus when other students are away and having their events and performances canceled is just so hard to justify. The concept of a student athlete is blurred enough.

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 11:03 PM
The idea of social distancing is drastically reduce risk, not totally eliminate it. The games should still be played.

New rules: Foul if players come within 6 feet of each other. Might as well make it a horse tournament.

If they find that Hoiberg has it, that’ll be it. Game over. Or, rather, season over.

Yep that means the entire big ten probably has it.

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 11:07 PM
New rules: Foul if players come within 6 feet of each other. Might as well make it a horse tournament.

Yep that means the entire big ten probably has it.

Woah, let's be careful here. It definitely doesn't mean that.

proelitedota
03-11-2020, 11:11 PM
Woah, let's be careful here. It definitely doesn't mean that.

You are usually 5 days asymptomatic. When was Nebraska's last game?

Owen Meany
03-11-2020, 11:20 PM
If NCAA and ACC tourneys cancelled, do the Cheats hang a 2020 Helms and ACC Championship banner?

In all seriousness, it will mean UNC and Williams will avoid the stigma of officially missing the tournament this year (which isn't a great look for a blue blood).

I hope things go well and the tournament can be safely played. If for some reason it can't,I hope they at least make it to selection Sunday.

pamtar
03-11-2020, 11:42 PM
In all seriousness, it will mean UNC and Williams will avoid the stigma of officially missing the tournament this year (which isn't a great look for a blue blood).

I hope things go well and the tournament can be safely played. If for some reason it can't,I hope they at least make it to selection Sunday.

It will also mean that our last game of the year was a win over UNC and their last game was a 30 point blowout.

dukelion
03-11-2020, 11:47 PM
A WAC player may be infected as well.....it's not gonna stop folks......heck even Tom Hanks has it.

At this rate I'd be surprised if any games go ahead tomorrow.......season is over in my view and if the last game was a win over the cheats I'll take it.

nmduke2001
03-11-2020, 11:51 PM
If one player in the tourney gets sick the whole team would be quarantined. Likely the team they played would be quarantined too. What happens to the next game? Does that team get a bye because there is no opponent to play? It’s just not possible to play a tournament given those circumstances. I bet the last NCAA game of the season was played tonight.

kako
03-11-2020, 11:58 PM
Just a passing thought... what if they trimmed the NCAA field from 68 to 16 or 8 or 4 or 2... whether it's in March, April or even May? One might say, "They can't do that!" But the only thing holding it back would be tradition.

In the end, if doing this saves thousands of lives (which we would never be able to quantify), it seems worth it. Sucks, but in the end, sports are (supposed to be) just entertainment.

9F

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-11-2020, 11:58 PM
If one player in the tourney gets sick the whole team would be quarantined. Likely the team they played would be quarantined too. What happens to the next game? Does that team get a bye because there is no opponent to play? It’s just not possible to play a tournament given those circumstances. I bet the last NCAA game of the season was played tonight.
I’m guessing they may allow the conf tournaments to finish without fans in attendance but there’s no way the big dance happens.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-12-2020, 12:17 AM
I’m guessing they may allow the conf tournaments to finish without fans in attendance but there’s no way the big dance happens.

Amazing what might happen going forward. I'm not sure there's a single reason to watch ESPN now. We might've just solved the big money in college sports problem too....or taken a step in that direction.

throatybeard
03-12-2020, 12:28 AM
I'm seriously considering the possibility that this last minute here of Blues-Ducks is the last sports I'm going to see for a long while.

Chicago 1995
03-12-2020, 12:41 AM
I'm seriously considering the possibility that this last minute here of Blues-Ducks is the last sports I'm going to see for a long while.

I fear you are right.

Sports cancellations are a step in the right direction, but there are a lot of other steps we haven’t taken yet.

Steven43
03-12-2020, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I recorded every sporting event — including Sportscenter — I possibly could tonight so I can at least watch those over the course of the next few weeks. Plus, I have a lot of sporting events already recorded that I haven’t had time to watch including several Duke games, a couple of Celtics v Lakers games, a bunch of Australian Open tennis🎾 matches, etc. Thank goodness for the DVR.

brevity
03-12-2020, 02:17 AM

Yeah, I recorded every sporting event — including Sportscenter — I possibly could tonight so I can at least watch those over the course of the next few weeks. Plus, I have a lot of sporting events already recorded that I haven’t had time to watch including several Duke games, a couple of Celtics v Lakers games, a bunch of Australian Open tennis�� matches, etc. Thank goodness for the DVR.

I guess that's one approach. But if this is the foreseeable end of live sports, then all ESPN channels become ESPN Classic.

Steven43
03-12-2020, 02:32 AM
I guess that's one approach. But if this is the foreseeable end of live sports, then all ESPN channels become ESPN Classic.

Hmm, that’s a great point. This might not be so bad after all, at least as far as sports-watching goes.

bigperm13
03-12-2020, 02:43 AM
This blows. Last time seeing at least 6 guys in a Duke uniform probably was last Saturday. Really sad. Overjoyed now Duke won and it was against the Cheats.

HK Dukie
03-12-2020, 05:17 AM
If the ncaa tournament gets cancelled instead of simply no fans or delayed... does Kansas claim the title for the year? If it were Carolina they would. Curious how the year will go down in history books.

Acymetric
03-12-2020, 06:18 AM

I'm saying expecting 100% of the people he's been in contact with to have the virus is unrealistic, not that he wouldn't have spread it at all.

chris13
03-12-2020, 07:25 AM

I was looking forward to Blues / Canes at PNC Arena on March 19, but even if they play it I will watch from home instead of going. Blues are my ancestral team, Canes my current one. Enjoyed the cup run last spring and all of my old friends in St. Louis did too.

Troublemaker
03-12-2020, 07:26 AM
I want to find out how this JRob story ends. No cancellation!

It could be like what Coach K said, better than Rudy.

75Crazie
03-12-2020, 07:53 AM
If the ncaa tournament gets cancelled instead of simply no fans or delayed... does Kansas claim the title for the year? If it were Carolina they would. Curious how the year will go down in history books.
Are there any members of the Helms Bakery family left, and could they possibly resurrect the Helms Athletic Foundation? It is a celebrated tradition in certain areas, you know.

weezie
03-12-2020, 08:27 AM
Are there any members of the Helms Bakery family left, and could they possibly resurrect the Helms Athletic Foundation? It is a celebrated tradition in certain areas, you know.

A highly. repeatedly touted one, apparently.

Was the bread actually any good?

throatybeard
03-12-2020, 08:32 AM
I was looking forward to Blues / Canes at PNC Arena on March 19, but even if they play it I will watch from home instead of going. Blues are my ancestral team, Canes my current one. Enjoyed the cup run last spring and all of my old friends in St. Louis did too.

Took my friend, a Duke alum, to Canes at Blues about five weeks ago. The JBo-related make-up game against the Ducks last night looks like it was the last RS game.

Sold my Bruins at Blues (4/2) tickets on Monday for more than 2x face.

My last RS game I haven't sold is Red Wings at Blues (3/31). Oops.

fan345678
03-12-2020, 09:03 AM
If the NCAA tourney gets canceled, then will UNC claim a Helms championship?

budwom
03-12-2020, 09:39 AM
they could play the games with loud music in the (new, smaller) gym, each team gets to choose what to play for a half...

Truth&Justise
03-12-2020, 09:41 AM
Even if the tournament is cancelled, can they still hold selection Sunday? Just to make sure UNC doesn't get picked? Would hate for them to crow about "not missing any tourney since 2010."

dahntaysdawg
03-12-2020, 09:41 AM
they could play the games with loud music in the (new, smaller) gym, each team gets to choose what to play for a half...

Most of it would have to be bleeped.

budwom
03-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Most of it would have to be bleeped.

ooh, had not thought of that...ok, back to the mute button...

wavedukefan70s
03-12-2020, 09:53 AM
So I am thinking that this helps Duke. No Greenville, SC situation for sure.

That was absolutely horrific.

kAzE
03-12-2020, 11:03 AM
I don't think there is any way the NCAA tournament can be played under the circumstances, and I would anticipate an announcement by this weekend that it will be either postponed or cancelled. That's 3 weeks of college kids from all over the country traveling to other (mostly higher population) cities, being exposed to hotels, restaurants, etc., and then playing a highly physical contact sport with each other and officials, sweating and breathing on each other, and everyone touching the same ball.

I was really worried about March Madness when this virus began to spread, and even though it's going to suck without basketball in March, I think the NCAA has to do the right thing here and postpone the event. Best case scenario is that within 2 months, things will have calmed down (as they have in China and South Korea), and we can do this thing the right way, with the fans back at the games. That's my hope.

However, those countries were much more aggressive with testing for the virus, while our government has done an extremely poor job of responding to the situation thus far. So I'm expecting a cancellation.

dukelifer
03-12-2020, 11:07 AM

They could play each game on a computer and folks could follow on the ESPN app. Something like this

12 North Carolina Timeout 95 - 96
0:12 Garrison Brooks Turnover. 95 - 96
0:07 Foul on Christian Keeling. 95 - 96
0:07 Tre Jones made Free Throw. 96 - 96
0:07 Tre Jones missed Free Throw. 96 - 96
0:07 Wendell Moore Jr. Offensive Rebound. 96 - 96
0:05 Tre Jones missed Jumper. 96 - 96
0:05 Wendell Moore Jr. Offensive Rebound. 96 - 96
0:02 Wendell Moore Jr. made Layup.

05 Wendell Moore Jr. Offensive Rebound. 96 - 96
0:02 Wendell Moore Jr. made Layup. 98 -
0:00 End of Game 98 - 96

Truth&Justise
I don't think there is any way the NCAA tournament can be played under the circumstances, and I would anticipate an announcement by this weekend that it will be either postponed or cancelled. That's 3 weeks of college kids from all over the country traveling to other (mostly higher population) cities, being exposed to hotels, restaurants, etc., and then playing a highly physical contact sport with each other and officials, sweating and breathing on each other, and everyone touching the same ball.

I was really worried about March Madness when this virus began to spread, and even though it's going to suck without basketball in March, I think the NCAA has to do the right thing here and postpone the event. Best case scenario is that within 2 months, things will have calmed down (as they have in China and South Korea), and we can do this thing the right way, with the fans back at the games. That's my hope.

However, those countries were much more aggressive with testing for the virus, while our government has done an extremely poor job of responding to the situation thus far. So I'm expecting a cancellation.

I agree with you...but I just want any postponement or cancellation to happen in such a way that we know unequivocally UNC was not invited.

Even if it's just in the announcement, as in "We have decided that the NCAA tournament--which UNC was not going to get a bid to--will be indefinitely postponed." Let's make it official.

Acymetric

Can the tournament take place after graduation? How does this interact with the NBA draft/player eligibility deadlines and such? I think any postponement would end up being a cancellation.

mattman91
03-12-2020, 11:08 AM

In 2 months kids will be prepping for the draft. It is now or never.

swood1000
03-12-2020, 11:10 AM
The problem with testing players/staff before allowing them to participate is that in the early stages of infection, it is possible the virus will not be detected (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html#symptoms).

kAzE
03-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Can the tournament take place after graduation? How does this interact with the NBA draft/player eligibility deadlines and such? I think any postponement would end up being a cancellation.

True, but the NBA season has also been postponed, and IMO, it would be smart to also postpone the draft, as well as the tip off of the next NBA season (which would be shortened, or have a permanent schedule shift). There would be a lot of things that need to be shifted around to accommodate the interests of public health. It's not impossible, but I agree, it's unlikely, and cancellation is probably the most likely outcome. Again, 2 months is a really optimistic timeline of when this will blow over, considering how we've handled it thus far.

Then again, there's billions of dollars at stake here, and Adam Silver is the most progressive commissioner in sports. It could happen.

DarkstarWahoo
03-12-2020, 11:17 AM

Ahem. There's already an NCAA champ.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2020, 11:19 AM

Yeah, but y'all don't hold the Walton Belt at present. . . .

Nrrrrvous
03-12-2020, 11:24 AM
Yeah, but y'all don't hold the Walton Belt at present. . . .

Hmm. Time for an update?

weezie
03-12-2020, 11:36 AM

Yes but the NBA delay will also delay the draft. It's a mess.

Acymetric
03-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Yes but the NBA delay will also delay the draft. It's a mess.

Only if they delay. I expect them to cancel. Then they would hold the (remote only, not live/in person) draft at the usual time.

throatybeard
03-12-2020, 11:45 AM

Exactly. I expect it to be much worse here. In east Asia they've attacked the problem like adults. In the United States, we're facing strong headwinds of denialism, inertia, and horse-gone barndoor-closing.

Atldukie79
03-12-2020, 11:56 AM
If the tournament is played, and Duke makes the FF, it would be poetic to allow Duke to host the event. Then we could erect some sort of monument to the NCAA Final Four next to the rose bushes memorializing the transplanted Rose Bowl game of 1942.

Then we could have two trivia answers regarding transplanted games at Duke...but perhaps with a different ending this time...

(Let's keep our sense of humor folks)

kAzE
03-12-2020, 11:59 AM
The Big 10, SEC, and American have cancelled their conference tournaments now. I imagine there's going to be pressure on the ACC to do the same . . .

weezie
03-12-2020, 11:59 AM
There goes the Big 1G tourney.

Swofford looking like the idiot that he is.

WakeDevil
03-12-2020, 12:00 PM

Va is the champion from last season. A new year, a new tournament. This is not boxing.

scottdude8
03-12-2020, 12:00 PM
I am sad.

kAzE
03-12-2020, 12:01 PM
I am sad.

Same. This sucks.

Truth&Justise
03-12-2020, 12:03 PM
I am sad.

Yup. What's the point of being forced to stay home in March if I can't watch basketball???

For real though glad we're making decisions that are good for everyone's health and safety, but what a bummer this is.

Wander
03-12-2020, 12:03 PM
It's nice to think that the NBA and NCAA might work together and demonstrate some flexibility in delaying the tournament, draft, etc. into the summer... but when has the NCAA ever shown the capability of doing something like that?

Time to make peace with the last game we saw this season was UNC getting crushed as the ACC's last place team.

wavedukefan70s
03-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Two players from utah jazz have tested positive.
No way the ncaa tournament will be played.

CDu
03-12-2020, 12:09 PM
Big East still playing their noon game. Ooops!

CDu
03-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Stinks for Tre Jones, who came back for the change to avenge last year's NCAA tournament. Obviously that's a drop in the bucket compared with the bigger picture. But rough break for him. [assuming the NCAA tourney doesn't happen, which seems like a reasonable probability]

terrih
03-12-2020, 12:13 PM
Yep, really bummed for the players. Tough situation.

Acymetric
03-12-2020, 12:15 PM
There goes the Big 1G tourney.

Swofford looking like the idiot that he is.

I'm not totally sure I agree. The players have already traveled and stayed in the hotels. No more fans. At this point I'm not sure I see a compelling reason not to finish out the conference tournament(s). NCAA, where the travel hasn't already occurred, is another story.

Acymetric
03-12-2020, 12:16 PM
Big East still playing their noon game. Ooops!

Why oops? I didn't see where the Big East had canceled their tournament.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-12-2020, 12:17 PM
Stinks for Tre Jones, who came back for the change to avenge last year's NCAA tournament. Obviously that's a drop in the bucket compared with the bigger picture. But rough break for him. [assuming the NCAA tourney doesn't happen, which seems like a reasonable probability]
Yes and no. He had a fantastic year, improved his draft stock and advanced his education. So, time we’ll spent I would say. I hate that there aren’t going to be any tournaments but that’s a small sacrifice for him and really for all of us to make.

kAzE
03-12-2020, 12:26 PM
ACC cancelled :(

Troublemaker
03-12-2020, 12:29 PM
Even if the NCAA wants to play the tournament, they're not going to be able to get all 68 teams to participate, imo.

CDu
03-12-2020, 12:33 PM
Why oops? I didn't see where the Big East had canceled their tournament.

Because they are either going to look really bad for not cancelling their tournament, or look really bad for waiting to cancel until AFTER two teams were further exposed to the risks unecessarily (since everyone else had cancelled before noon except the Big East and ACC).

CDu
03-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Even if the NCAA wants to play the tournament, they're not going to be able to get all 68 teams to participate, imo.

Not only that, but even if they COULD convince all 68 teams to participate, what happens if/when they start the tournament and somebody gets infected?

duke79
03-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Not only that, but even if they COULD convince all 68 teams to participate, what happens if/when they start the tournament and somebody gets infected?

Yea, like the NBA. I would bet almost of all of that money (that I have left after the stock market rout) that the NCAA does not take place this year.

dukebluesincebirth
03-12-2020, 12:58 PM
Vegas oddsmakers still have the NCAAT happening:
Will the NCAAT be cancelled?:
Yes (+165)
No (-220)
Rumor is that it goes forward until one player tests positive.
There’s still a chance.

J4Kop99
03-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Big East cancels their tournament... during halftime of a game!

Troublemaker
03-12-2020, 01:01 PM
Logistically, I have to think it's essentially impossible to postpone (as opposed to cancel) the NCAAT, too. This window right here from mid-March to early April is when all the participants are ready to do it. At a later point in time, maybe all the venues won't be available, or the players have pre-draft stuff to do, or maybe even just plain ol' college classes get in the way. Someone less lazy than me could probably think of a number of other things, too.

dukebluesincebirth
03-12-2020, 01:01 PM
Big East cancels their tournament... during halftime of a game!

Wow. No words for this.

WakeDevil
03-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Yes (+165)
No (-220)
There’s still a chance.

Source?

Acymetric
03-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Logistically, I have to think it's essentially impossible to postpone (as opposed to cancel) the NCAAT, too. This window right here from mid-March to early April is when all the participants are ready to do it. At a later point in time, maybe all the venues won't be available, or the players have pre-draft stuff to do, or maybe even just plain ol' college classes get in the way. One could probably think of a number of other things, too.

The venue thing isn't insurmountable, even if they postponed it I expect it to be "no fans" when it resumes, which means literally any venue with a wooden floor and two hoops suffices. That said, I expect it to be canceled.

CDu
03-12-2020, 01:05 PM
The venue thing isn't insurmountable, even if they postponed it I expect it to be "no fans" when it resumes, which means literally any venue with a wooden floor and two hoops suffices. That said, I expect it to be canceled.

Agreed on both counts. Finding a court would not be the problem. But there are enough other problems that it just isn't realistically going to happen.

SlapTheFloor
03-12-2020, 01:10 PM
Agreed on both counts. Finding a court would not be the problem. But there are enough other problems that it just isn't realistically going to happen.

If they cancel the NCAA tournament, I think they should give all seniors an extra year of eligibility.

kAzE
03-12-2020, 01:14 PM
If they cancel the NCAA tournament, I think they should give all seniors an extra year of eligibility.

That would be a very slippery slope into chaos. They would have to give some teams extra scholarships, meaning some rosters would have like 16-18 players. Then you would have playing time issues for other players . . . that would snowball into a lot of problems.

Troublemaker
03-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Just one more example. Typically players interested in the draft start interviewing and hiring agents when their seasons are done, and I can't see them postponing that just for an off-chance that the NCAAT gets played a couple months down the line.

UrinalCake
03-12-2020, 01:47 PM
If the NCAA tournament gets canceled, can we just find a baker somewhere to go through box scores and figure out who WOULD have won, then award them the title?

Tripping William
03-12-2020, 01:55 PM
If the NCAA tournament gets canceled, can we just find a baker somewhere to go through box scores and figure out who WOULD have won, then award them the title?

Yes, but we'll need to wait until 2038 to do it. From our dear departed Olympic Fan (may he RIP) in a BCS thread from January 2009:

UNC fans are always trying to equate the 1924 Helms "national championship" with the way football national championships are selected.

Just to be clear, there's no relationship.

The Helms "championship" was not the selection by a panel of sports writers at the end of the season. It was a pick by one man in 1942 -- 18 years after the fact -- who was sponsored by a bread company. He wasn't even a basketball expert ... he was an executive with the Helms Bakery.

To make the football title selection similar, we need to go to the chief financial officer of Sunbeam Bread and ask him to pick the 1991 NCAA football champion.

arnie
03-12-2020, 01:58 PM

If tourney is played out and Duke not in it; gonna feel weird.

Kedsy
03-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Yes (+165)
No (-220)
There’s still a chance.

According to the N&O (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article241132426.html), Duke pressured the ACC to cancel by suspending all sports, and "Duke’s decision means coach Mike Krzyzewski’s basketball team, ranked No. 10 in the country and owning a 25-6 record, won’t participate in the NCAA tournament if one is played."

stingy
03-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Here’s the official word:

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke University has suspended all athletic competition for the foreseeable future, effective immediately, in response to COVID-19. The announcement was made Thursday by President Vincent E. Price, in conjunction with guidance from public health experts and Duke Athletics leadership.

Danke Shane
03-12-2020, 02:01 PM
Does this mean our tourney streak is over? Or will the NCAA still seed us somewhere and the game is just forfeited (if the tourney isn't cancelled?)

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-12-2020, 02:02 PM

I know one.

Acymetric
03-12-2020, 02:03 PM
Does this mean our tourney streak is over? Or will the NCAA still seed us somewhere and the game is just forfeited (if the tourney isn't cancelled?)

If the NCAAT still happens (highly unlikely, IMO), we wouldn't be seeded. It would basically be like a high performing team that was ineligible for the tournament, we would just be ignored.

CameronBornAndBred
03-12-2020, 02:04 PM
The chances of the tourney being played is slim to none. The conference tournies were cancelled because both coaches and players didn't feel comfortable being there. That's not going to change in a week.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-12-2020, 02:04 PM
I’m glad that the last basketball games I watched this season were a Duke win and two Carolina losses.

Tripping William
03-12-2020, 02:08 PM
If the NCAAT still happens (highly unlikely, IMO), we wouldn't be seeded. It would basically be like a high performing team that was ineligible for the tournament, we would just be ignored.

And ignored by the Selection Committee chair. Who happens to be Duke's AD.

This Big Dance ain't happenin'.

Troublemaker
03-12-2020, 02:11 PM
I'm conflicted between pride for President Price and Duke University leading the way and sadness that I couldn't see the end of this JRob story. Gotta admit, I was thinking big, really big. Just didn't want to jinx it with any predictions on the forum.

Wander
03-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Is there a downside to suspending the tournament at this stage (rather than canceling) and announcing a potential bracket this weekend anyway, maybe without the fanfare of a TV show?

I agree the tournament is very very very unlikely to happen at all, but might as well just keep the door open for May Madness in the 0.01% chance that it is possible. If the NBA draft etc also get delayed by a similar timeframe...

Who am I kidding, the NCAA does not have the adaptability for this.

wilson
03-12-2020, 02:28 PM

I know one.

10360Does Brian Zoubek count as one, seeing as how he was making cream puffs that one time?

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Idea for ESPN... give viewers the chance to watch whatever prior tournaments/tournament games they would like to see - all the games, from start to finish.

dukelifer
03-12-2020, 02:35 PM
I'm conflicted between pride for President Price and Duke University leading the way and sadness that I couldn't see the end of this JRob story. Gotta admit, I was thinking big, really big. Just didn't want to jinx it with any predictions on the forum.

He made the right and difficult call.

UrinalCake
03-12-2020, 02:38 PM
Is there a downside to suspending the tournament at this stage (rather than canceling) and announcing a potential bracket this weekend anyway, maybe without the fanfare of a TV show?

i can’t imagine they would release a bracket this weekend even if they were anticipating a delayed tournament. There is too much unknown, maybe some of the conference tournaments get replayed, maybe some players announce that they won’t participate, etc. It would make more sense to wait until they know when the tournament will be held, assuming it gets to that point.

Logistically, scheduling would be a nightmare, as all the host sites have other events to work around. i am still holding out a sliver of hope that the tournament can be played, but I just don’t see how.

DrChainsaw
03-12-2020, 02:43 PM
How about a secret tournament, a la the Duke/NCCU game?

DU82
03-12-2020, 03:15 PM
For those (like me) who bought tickets through the official NCAA/Ticketmaster site:

This NCAA Championship Event has been closed to the public.

If you ordered tickets from an official NCAA Championship vendor online or over the phone, you will be refunded. No additional action is needed.

If you ordered tickets from an official NCAA Championship vendor you will receive additional information via email.
Your refund will be automatically delivered (except applicable fees) to the same card used for purchase.
Refunds should be received within 30 business days after the date of cancellation.
Customers with questions about the refund process may contact the respective event venue(s) or send inquires to the NCAA via email to tickets@ncaa.org.

Please understand that we will be receiving a large volume of calls and emails regarding this decision, and we ask that you allow us five business days to respond to your specific questions.

https://www.ncaa.com/tickets/basketball-men/d1

Truth&Justise
03-12-2020, 04:13 PM

I agree the tournament is very very very unlikely to happen at all, but might as well just keep the door open for May Madness in the 0.01% chance that it is possible. If the NBA draft etc also get delayed by a similar timeframe...

Who am I kidding, the NCAA does not have the adaptability for this.

The have 30+ games from each team, more than enough to determine who should qualify. And the upside is we could definitively say UNC was not invited!

hallcity
03-12-2020, 04:18 PM
For those (like me) who bought tickets through the official NCAA/Ticketmaster site:

If you ordered tickets from an official NCAA Championship vendor online or over the phone, you will be refunded. No additional action is needed.

If you ordered tickets from an official NCAA Championship vendor you will receive additional information via email.
Your refund will be automatically delivered (except applicable fees) to the same card used for purchase.
Refunds should be received within 30 business days after the date of cancellation.
Customers with questions about the refund process may contact the respective event venue(s) or send inquires to the NCAA via email to tickets@ncaa.org.

Please understand that we will be receiving a large volume of calls and emails regarding this decision, and we ask that you allow us five business days to respond to your specific questions.

And if you bought tickets from a scalper rather than directly from the NCAA (which I haven't) are you just out of luck?

J4Kop99
03-12-2020, 04:22 PM
Men's and Women's NCAA tournaments have been cancelled

chrishoke
03-12-2020, 04:25 PM

This is the end of my world as I know it.

DarkstarWahoo
And with that, it's official: No team has ever lost to a 16 seed and then failed to win the title and retain it for longer than expected due to a global pandemic.

juise
NCAA Tourneys - no games

duke4ever19
03-12-2020, 04:31 PM
Sweet mercy, someone unplug Jay Bilas.

Dukehk
03-12-2020, 04:31 PM
What a disaster.

What happens to our seniors? Do they get to come back?

Will Tre come back? Ugh.

VA_BDevil
03-12-2020, 04:36 PM
This is the end of my world as I know it.

Agree. There goes my excuse for avoiding yard work for the next month.

DU82
03-12-2020, 04:37 PM
And if you bought tickets from a scalper rather than directly from the NCAA (which I haven't) are you just out of luck?

My guess is if it was through an “official” reseller, you have a chance, if bought on Craigslist or something similar, SOL.

Teton Jack
03-12-2020, 04:38 PM
"Well we've been to the NCAA for every year except 2020 when they cancelled the event". They'll never say they didn't qualify.

szstark
03-12-2020, 04:39 PM

Are they saying anything about hotel reservations made through NCAA Championship vendors? They were advertised as non-fundable, but I can’t imagine being held to a reservation for a room for a non-existent event.

rsvman
03-12-2020, 04:41 PM

This sucks! Pardon my French.

I'm the kind of guy who has been known to take Thursday and Friday off the week the tournament starts so I can watch basketball games for hours and hours on end. I absolutely LOVE college basketball. This is the worst news!

I wish they would say that the tournament was going to be put on hold, with the possibility that it could be played at a later date if the situation improves.

WakeDevil
03-12-2020, 04:42 PM
This is a good time to get into sports talk radio.

DU82
03-12-2020, 04:42 PM
Are they saying anything about hotel reservations made through NCAA Championship vendors? They were advertised as non-fundable, but I can’t imagine being held to a reservation for a room for a non-existent event.

Didn’t say anything about hotels; this was on the ticket site.

But thanks for reminding me to cancel my reservation in Atlanta.

CameronBornAndBred
03-12-2020, 04:44 PM
This sucks! Pardon my French.

I'm the kind of guy who has been known to take Thursday and Friday off the week the tournament starts so I can watch basketball games for hours and hours on end. I absolutely LOVE college basketball. This is the worst news!

I wish they would say that the tournament was going to be put on hold, with the possibility that it could be played at a later date if the situation improves.
Not sure how that would be realistic. You know better than all of us how long this may or may not last, but we can assume through April into May, right?
Those months the OADs and Tre's of bball world are making their announcements, signing with agents, and prepping for the draft. I'd imagine that they aren't going to wait for the NCAA to move on, so the teams playing would likely be very different than the ones that got seeded.

wsb3
03-12-2020, 04:47 PM
I use to take off work for the first two days of the tourney. It has always been my favorite sports days. I hate it for players, like Tre who came back for unfinished business. For those mid major tournament winners that finished their tournaments and were excited just to go to the dance. For the fans like us that are more than Duke fans . We are college basketball fans. And it really stinks that the one year I don't have to be concerned with the Cheats making a run.

Ironically this week I decided to watch the 80 ACCT Duke games. I just did not know at the time I would be watching the classic final at 3 o'clock when Duke was playing.

I just did what a poster here use to encourage us to do with his tagline. "Go outside and play."

scottdude8
03-12-2020, 04:48 PM
From the ESPN article...about the second Jazz player with the virus;

"According to the World Health Organization, for most people, the coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough.
The vast majority of people recover from the virus"

Am I missing something here? Not a hint of irony from ESPN either.

Yes. The issue isn't the symptoms in individuals, but the impact that a massive spike in seriously ill people will have in potentially overwhelming our healthcare system. Combine that with the severe risk faced by a non-trivial proportion of the population (including, as I've mentioned previously, some people who might have been playing in the games themselves, i.e. Texas' Andrew Jones) and this becomes a very serious situation.

If you need any evidence for why this was necessary, just look at what's happening in Italy right now.

The experts are clear: stopping mass gatherings like this and minimizing travel are THE actions that must be taken to prevent the worst-case scenario from happening here. This sucks, a lot (I'm not ashamed to say I'm holding back tears at the news, now that it's all real). But if sacrificing my personal entertainment makes society even the tiniest iota safer, I firmly believe that's worth it.

DU82
03-12-2020, 04:48 PM
Not sure how that would be realistic. You know better than all of us how long this may or may not last, but we can assume through April into May, right?
Those months the OADs and Tre's of bball world are making their announcements, signing with agents, and prepping for the draft. I'd imagine that they aren't going to wait for the NCAA to move on, so the teams playing would likely be very different than the ones that got seeded.

If it were possible to delay the tournament until May, it would be reasonable for the NCAA to work with the NBA and agents to allow limited contacts/contracts to proceed on a similar calendar as in the past.

Of course, reasonable and NCAA are rarely used in the same sentence.

Wahoo2000
03-12-2020, 04:49 PM
It's over.

(come on guys, how could I possibly be first on this one?)

Acymetric
03-12-2020, 04:50 PM
It's over.

(come on guys, how could I possibly be first on this one?)

You were, at the very least, the fifth one. ;)

duke2x
It's really sad to see this happen, but 2021 is a -polis Final 4. We can dream, right?

It's a really bad day to be FAMU. The NCAA denied its appeal of a financial penalty and also took away its primary way to pay it. :eek:

dukelifer
Yes. The issue isn't the symptoms in individuals, but the impact that a massive spike in serious ill people will have in potentially overwhelming our healthcare system. Combine that with the severe risk faced by a non-trivial proportion of the population (including, as I've mentioned previously, some people who might have been playing in the games themselves, i.e. Texas' Andrew Jones) and this becomes a very serious situation.

The experts are clear: stopping mass gatherings like this and minimizing travel are THE actions that must be taken to prevent the worst-case scenario from happening here. This sucks, a lot (I'm not ashamed to say I'm holding back tears at the news, now that it's all real). But if sacrificing my personal entertainment makes society even the tiniest iota safer, I firmly believe that's worth it.
Of course it begs the question - is the feeling worse than losing in the first round of the tourney.

CameronBornAndBred
03-12-2020, 05:01 PM
Of course it begs the question - is the feeling worse than losing in the first round of the tourney.

No. I'm at peace with this. It will not haunt me for months. Won't even haunt me for a weekend. I won't avert my eyes from sports reports tomorrow. Sucks...but not that kinds of "sucks".

Acymetric
03-12-2020, 05:02 PM
No. I'm at peace with this. It will not haunt me for months. Won't even haunt me for a weekend. I won't avert my eyes from sports reports tomorrow. Sucks...but not that kinds of "sucks".

...What sports news are you expecting from sports reports tomorrow if you watch?

Indoor66
03-12-2020, 05:05 PM
This is a good time to get into sports talk radio.

What are they going to talk about?

TywinBlue
03-12-2020, 05:05 PM
Well, I guess I have no excuses now....I'll have to watch PARASITE. LOL;)

-jk
03-12-2020, 05:07 PM

C'mon - they're pros at saying nothing, over and over and over again!

-jk

CameronBornAndBred
03-12-2020, 05:10 PM
...What sports news are you expecting from sports reports tomorrow if you watch?

Dunno, but it won't be that Duke lost in the first round.

Skydog
03-12-2020, 05:13 PM
Well, I guess I have no excuses now...I'll have to watch PARASITE. LOL;)
That could be your tiny silver lining - it's a good movie. Wasn't sure at the start but it picks up.

Indoor66
03-12-2020, 05:18 PM

-jk

True. Probably won't be any different.

moonpie23
03-12-2020, 05:18 PM
i, too, am bummed that Jrob's story for college is over :(......his star was just risiing, and it could have shone bright.....

bummer...

CameronBornAndBred
03-12-2020, 05:22 PM
i, too, am bummed that Jrob's story for college is over :(...his star was just risiing, and it could have shone bright....

bummer...

But maybe, maybe, maybe...his whole playing story isn't over. Crossing fingers and enjoying pipe dreams.

subzero02
03-12-2020, 05:23 PM

Extensive coverage of The Players Championship and Esports...

CameronBornAndBred
03-12-2020, 05:24 PM
But maybe, maybe, maybe...his whole playing story isn't over. Crossing fingers and enjoying pipe dreams.

(I won't be shocked if we see him back on the Duke bench one day.)

OldPhiKap
03-12-2020, 05:31 PM
i, too, am bummed that Jrob's story for college is over :(...his star was just risiing, and it could have shone bright...

bummer...

True, although it probably went out at a pinnacle as-is.

If the UNC game on senior night was the last college game he ever plays -- it was a HELL of a way to finish!!!

(Looking for silver linings, perhaps, I know. But still -- damn that was fine).

rsvman
03-12-2020, 05:32 PM
On the plus side (I guess), I won't have any reason to not watch the Players Championship.

Ian
03-12-2020, 05:42 PM
As much as this sucks for Duke fans, it doesn't suck nearly as much as it does for Kansas fans or Gonzaga fans or Baylor fans, who had a legit chance to win it all, and it doesn't suck for them as much as it sucks for fans of SDSU or Dayton, who probably will never in their lifetime have another better shot at their school making a FF.

For Duke, it's probably another post season like 2009 or 2016, and while sad for the players, for Duke fans it's really not that big a deal.

proelitedota
03-12-2020, 05:45 PM
As much as this sucks for Duke fans, it doesn't suck nearly as much as it does for Kansas fans or Gonzaga fans or Baylor fans, who had a legit chance to win it all, and it doesn't suck for them as much as it sucks for fans of SDSU or Dayton, who probably will never in their lifetime have another better shot at their school making a FF.

For Duke, it's probably another post season like 2009 or 2016, and while sad for the players, for Duke fans it's really not that big a deal.

Secretly we're all relieved to not have 1st weekend jitters.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-12-2020, 05:50 PM
I'm thinking there are a bunch of lawyers going through contracts with a fine toothed comb right now to determine whether CBS and Turner are obligated to pay the NCAA if the tournament doesn't actually happen. TV revenue has a huge impact on a lot of people (what do you think pays for those Olympic sport scholarships). Similarly, I'm sure there are a lot of lawyers for advertisers doing the same thing.

Note: I am 100% behind this decision. I'm just curious about how some of the residual issues play out.

duke79
03-12-2020, 05:57 PM
On the plus side (I guess), I won't have any reason to not watch the Players Championship.

I watched a little of the Players Championship today and I did not notice any diminution in crowd size (as far as I could tell) and I also did not see anyone wearing a face mask.

devilirium
03-12-2020, 06:04 PM

I would say the “it’s not really a big deal part” is more of an outlier. Yes, I’ll get a nice refund on the ACCT, but JRobs emergence and the team play in the last 2 games( home confines, I get it), but I’m bummed out quite a bit. The pall in Greensboro was really evident today. Glad to be home in Durham, but I’m not crazy about a repeat of today—to say the least.

FUBARDoorBuster
03-12-2020, 07:38 PM
Ironically this week I decided to watch the 80 ACCT Duke games. I just did not know at the time I would be watching the classic final at 3 o'clock when Duke was playing.

I just did what a poster here use to encourage us to do with his tagline. "Go outside and play."

Your contribution offers the answer we need. How can we watch the 80 ACCT Duke games too? Youtube, netflix, Hulu...?

Then I'll go outside and play.

jimsumner
03-12-2020, 07:57 PM

I think Duke had as good a chance to be the last team standing as anyone else.

And that 73-year-old head coach isn't going to be doing this indefinitely. One less chance for him to add to his records.

Steven43
03-12-2020, 08:10 PM
I would say the “it’s not really a big deal part” is more of an outlier. Yes, I’ll get a nice refund on the ACCT, but JRobs emergence and the team play in the last 2 games( home confines, I get it), but I’m bummed out quite a bit. The pall in Greensboro was really evident today. Glad to be home in Durham, but I’m not crazy about a repeat of today—to say the least.

Ahh, the emergence of Justin Robinson. It is sad we won’t get to see him again in a Duke uniform. But just think, we will always remember that last glorious game.

TKG
03-12-2020, 08:19 PM

-jk

Stop criticizing Bilas!

throatybeard
03-12-2020, 08:20 PM

Tom Brady's future employment history for the zillionth consecutive day.