PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Tre Jones and Vernon Carey!

Stray Gator
03-09-2020, 09:17 AM
Tre wins ACC Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year. Vernon wins unanimous Rookie of the Year. Both are on the All-ACC First Team, with Vernon receiving the most votes. Congrats also to Cassius Stanley for making the ACC All Freshman team.

CameronBlue
03-09-2020, 09:19 AM
Tre wins ACC Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year. Vernon wins unanimous Rookie of the Year. Both are on the All-ACC First Team, with Vernon receiving the most votes. Congrats also to Cassius Stanley for making the ACC All Freshman team.

Wow, Tre POY. It's hard to argue with the selection. My first reaction was, "really, POY?" Then to consider everything he does for Duke it makes perfect sense. Well deserved.

jv001
03-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Cole Anthony way down on the third team. old roy will use that to get him to stay another year..:cool:

GoDuke!

sagegrouse
03-09-2020, 09:39 AM
Wow, Tre POY. It's hard to argue with the selection. My first reaction was, "really, POY?" Then to consider everything he does for Duke it makes perfect sense. Well deserved.

Not bad a for a player assessed on the premier Duke fan site -- ahem -- as a "below-average offensive guard."

dukelifer
03-09-2020, 09:44 AM
Not bad a for a player assessed on the premier Duke fan site -- ahem -- as a "below-average offensive guard."

Two players from the same class back to back ACC POY - impressive- Joey Baker has some pressure on him

Billy Dat
03-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Congratulations to our guys, there are definitely some weird results and anomalies such as:

-Vernon is the lead vote getter for All ACC first team but gets no POY votes?

-UNC comes in last in the conference yet gets 2 players on the ALL ACC teams?

roywhite
03-09-2020, 10:04 AM
Link:

https://theacc.com/news/2020/3/8/athlete-awards-2020-acc-mens-basketball-award-winners-announced.aspx

johnb
03-09-2020, 10:15 AM

Well, Carolina has had 1 win against a ranked opponent all year, so I guess 2 All ACC is about right. Actually, both Garrison and Cole probably deserved it, which makes me think the problem has to do with the guys who wear powder blue suits to the games.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-09-2020, 10:19 AM
Congratulations to our guys, there are definitely some weird results and anomalies such as:

That’s what COY caliber coaching can do for a team. Oh wait.

Billy Dat
03-09-2020, 10:21 AM
Actually, both Garrison and Cole probably deserved it, which makes me think the problem has to do with the guys who wear powder blue suits to the games.

I agree that they are both good enough, but I always thought that winning was part of the unspoken requirement for these types of things. Is this evidence of the UNC journalism cabal?

CDu
03-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Well, Carolina has had 1 win against a ranked opponent all year, so I guess 2 All ACC is about right. Actually, both Garrison and Cole probably deserved it, which makes me think the problem has to do with the guys who wear powder blue suits to the games.

Well, no. The big problem was that they had a bunch of injuries and were very weak after their starting 5 (even when healthy).

Honestly, Anthony could have been left off the All-ACC list by virtue of having missed so many conference games. But him as a 3rd Team guy is fine. But the problem for UNC was that they played about 15-20 games this season missing one of their key starters. When you have no depth, losing one of your best players is backbreaking.

No tears to be shed, but I don't really put this one on the coaching staff. Sometimes, you just have bad luck. About time UNC faced some of that bad luck ;).

flyingdutchdevil
03-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Two players from the same class back to back ACC POY - impressive- Joey Baker has some pressure on him

Well, after red-shirting last year, Baker has 3 years to get the job done. Oh wait...

Congrats Tre! You have been an awesome leader for us this year!

pfrduke
03-09-2020, 10:24 AM
Congrats also to Cassius for making All-ACC Freshman team.

dukeblue1206
03-09-2020, 10:24 AM

From what I heard Duke didn't nominate Vernon for POY. I'm guessing so that he had Tre didn't split votes. That might have made Nwora the POY

dukelifer
03-09-2020, 10:26 AM
Well, no. The big problem was that they had a bunch of injuries and were very weak after their starting 5 (even when healthy).

Honestly, Anthony could have been left off the All-ACC list by virtue of having missed so many conference games. But him as a 3rd Team guy is fine. But the problem for UNC was that they played about 15-20 games this season missing one of their key starters. When you have no depth, losing one of your best players is backbreaking.

No tears to be shed, but I don't really put this one on the coaching staff. Sometimes, you just have bad luck. About time UNC faced some of that bad luck ;).

Just like UVa won a ton of close games- UNC lost them. The outcomes of their two seasons could have been reversed. UNC will be back so we need to enjoy the bad luck when it comes.

Billy Dat
03-09-2020, 10:27 AM
From what I heard Duke didn't nominate Vernon for POY. I'm guessing so that he had Tre didn't split votes. That might have made Nwora the POY

Good call, I just read that myself and I bet you are correct as to why.

killerleft
03-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Great news! But, what, no JRob votes for POY?:D

Seriously, Tre winning POY is reminiscent of the year Chris Carrawell won it. It's the desire, and both the willingness and unwillingness to fail, at the same time.

wgl1228
03-09-2020, 10:39 AM
Alright stat geeks does anyone know the last person to win both ACC POY and Defensive POY year in the same season? Has it been done before?

wgl1228
03-09-2020, 10:42 AM
Alright stat geeks does anyone know the last person to win both ACC POY and Defensive POY year in the same season? Has it been done before?

Nevermind it's Brogdon from Virginia.

CDu
03-09-2020, 10:43 AM

Malcolm Brogdon.

moonpie23
03-09-2020, 10:56 AM
Congrats to our guys !!!!

DukieInKansas
03-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Congratulations!

Acymetric
03-09-2020, 01:06 PM
Well deserved for both guys, congratulations! I am moderately surprised at DPOY for Tre, but I dont' know who else I would have picked.

robed deity
03-09-2020, 01:10 PM
Well deserved for both guys, congratulations! I am moderately surprised at DPOY for Tre, but I dont' know who else I would have picked.

Trent Forrest also would have made sense to me.

Troublemaker
03-09-2020, 01:15 PM

I'm surprised it wasn't Diakite.

Anyway, congrats to Tre and Vern.

flyingdutchdevil
03-09-2020, 02:21 PM

Yeah, strange. Forrest has a better defensive rebounding rate, steal rate, and block rate than Tre. His defensive win shares (1.9) are the same as Tre (2.0). And FSU was the better team.

I get Tre's POY award. Not so much the DPOY.

Jeffrey
03-09-2020, 02:50 PM
When you have no depth, losing one of your best players is backbreaking.

No tears to be shed, but I don't really put this one on the coaching staff.

IMO, no depth is definitely on the coaching staff.

Jeffrey
03-09-2020, 02:59 PM
Upon reflection, I wonder if Roy has ever had depth?

kako
03-09-2020, 04:12 PM
Tre Jones is worthy of ACC POY.

I personally think Vernon Carey should have been ACC POY.

I don't want to start a Jones v. Carey debate. I don't see the point of "Jones does this", "Carey did that", "Jones can't do this", "Carey didn't do that"... Work on the court aside, Jones was definitely helped because Duke submitted only his name for POY. They could have submitted Carey's name as well, but they didn't. Sure, they didn't want to split the vote. But if Duke had only submitted Carey's name, I believe he would have been POY (we all know he got the most votes for All-ACC). He would have the press clippings, the trophy, etc. He would be another Duke ACC POY, to go down with names like Heyman, Gminski, Laettner, Hill, Battier, Redick, Zion... But he won't.

Jones gets well-deserved accolades for his season. I take nothing away from him. He's Duke's floor general and is integral to Blue Devil success. He had a stellar year, staying at the pinnacle defensively and greatly improving his offense. I agree with others that he's the premier two-way PG in Division I college hoops this year. And his experience last year helped Duke achieve all it did so far, and it will also help in the tournaments to come.

But I feel it's important to congratulate Carey on his great year, which was deserving of ACC POY. I can only imagine that he holds no grudge against Jones, but I do hope he uses it as fuel somehow to even be more of a beast on the court.

9F

Troublemaker
03-09-2020, 05:11 PM
Tre Jones is worthy of ACC POY.

I personally think Vernon Carey should have been ACC POY.

I don't want to start a Jones v. Carey debate. I don't see the point of "Jones does this", "Carey did that", "Jones can't do this", "Carey didn't do that"... Work on the court aside, Jones was definitely helped because Duke submitted only his name for POY. They could have submitted Carey's name as well, but they didn't. Sure, they didn't want to split the vote. But if Duke had only submitted Carey's name, I believe he would have been POY (we all know he got the most votes for All-ACC). He would have the press clippings, the trophy, etc. He would be another Duke ACC POY, to go down with names like Heyman, Gminski, Laettner, Hill, Battier, Redick, Zion... But he won't.

Jones gets well-deserved accolades for his season. I take nothing away from him. He's Duke's floor general and is integral to Blue Devil success. He had a stellar year, staying at the pinnacle defensively and greatly improving his offense. I agree with others that he's the premier two-way PG in Division I college hoops this year. And his experience last year helped Duke achieve all it did so far, and it will also help in the tournaments to come.

But I feel it's important to congratulate Carey on his great year, which was deserving of ACC POY. I can only imagine that he holds no grudge against Jones, but I do hope he uses it as fuel somehow to even be more of a beast on the court.

9F

About 40% thru the season, I would've picked Vernon, even despite the fact that he plays 10 fewer minutes a game than Tre. But, I think since then, Tre's been the better two-way player AND he still plays 10 minutes a game more than Vernon. For me, it's tough to argue with the coaches who see them every day.

dukelifer
03-09-2020, 06:15 PM

It was clear Vernon was the most likely choice for ROY and he and Tre were both candidates for POY. Tre was the floor leader and maybe more important to the overall season- at least the coaches thought so and they value seniority. Nice that both were recognized.

brevity
03-09-2020, 10:24 PM
Remember, it's ACC Player of the Year. I'm not saying that the voters are purists about this, but if they were, they would focus on conference play only.

Vernon Carey vs. Tre Jones

MIN
PPG
RPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Carey (All)

Carey (OOC)

Carey (ACC)

Jones (All)

Jones (OOC)

Jones (ACC)

It's not as glaring I had expected, but when ACC play starts, Carey's numbers go down while Jones narrows the gap, even though both are averaging more minutes. So while I don't think Duke's award submission strategy was a given, I can see why it worked. I don't know Jordan Nwora's numbers, but the media impression was that his numbers went down in ACC play as well.

brevity
03-09-2020, 10:59 PM
I also was curious about the ACC All-Freshman Team (https://theacc.com/news/2020/3/8/athlete-awards-2020-acc-mens-basketball-award-winners-announced.aspx) and how it compared to the RSCI recruiting rankings (https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2019-final).

Bold selections made the All-Freshman Team

Cole Anthony, North Carolina (RSCI #3)
Vernon Carey Jr., Duke (#5)
Matthew Hurt, Duke (#12)
Samuell Williamson, Louisville (#20)
Armando Bacot, North Carolina (#23)
Wendell Moore Jr., Duke (#25)
Patrick Williams, Florida State (#29)
Cassius Stanley, Duke (#33)
Jalen Lecque, NC State (#38)
Aidan Igiehon, Louisville (#49)
Harlond Beverly, Miami (#56)
Casey Morsell, Virginia (#58)
Balsa Koprivica, Florida State (#64)
Kadin Shedrick, Virginia (#65)
Anthony Harris, North Carolina (#70)
Landers Nolley II, Virginia Tech (redshirt; #72 in 2018)
Isaiah Wong, Miami (#76)
David Johnson, Louisville (#79)
Jalen Cone, Virginia Tech (#80)
Brycen Goodine, Syracuse (#91)

Kdogg
03-16-2020, 07:29 PM
We will start seeing more post season awards. Some more prestige than others but our guys desire their recongization.

2019-20 CBS Sports All-America teams/ (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2019-20-cbs-sports-all-america-teams-obi-toppin-markus-howard-lead-star-studded-list/)

Vernon Carey 2nd team
Tre Jones 3rd Team

ElliottHoo
03-17-2020, 09:11 AM
I'm surprised it wasn't Diakite.

Anyway, congrats to Tre and Vern.

Speaking as a UVA fan, I think Tre is totally fine as DPOY. That guy was a TO-creating machine and played solid ball defense. Plus, he was the point of the spear on a very underrated Duke defensive unit this year.

I’d have given it to a UVA player but I admit to being biased. However, if I gave it to a UVA player I’d actually have given it to Braxton Key. He wasn’t defensively flashy, but he was the lynchpin for UVA’s D. He had the Malcolm Brodgon-like skill set of being able to guard literally any position, 1-5, and play tremendous lockdown defense while not really getting many blocks or steals. He was also a great help-defender and generally graded out as UVA’s best defender by advanced metrics.

That having been said, Tre’s D was well respected and I’m good with him winning.