PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs UNC (Sat 3/7 6:00 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DavidBenAkiva
03-04-2020, 08:34 PM
GTHC

NYBri
03-04-2020, 08:40 PM
9f!!!!!!!!!!!!

GGLC
03-04-2020, 09:09 PM
I don't care if they're having a down season or a great one.

I just hate them so much.

DavidBenAkiva
03-04-2020, 09:35 PM
After the last Duke game and the "Dean Dome Double Buzzer Beater", the Tar Heels suffered a humiliating loss at Wake Forest and then back-to-back buzzer beaters in Chapel Hill to Virginia and then in South Bend to Notre Dame. In that last game, UNC senior Brandon Robinson returned from a yet another injury. He scored 11 in that game and then proceeded to mostly miss a bunch of jumpers before scoring 18 against Wake Forest on Tuesday night.

That second Wake Forest game was the 3rd victory in a row for UNC, who now sit at 14-17 on the season. With Robinson back in the fold, the team is playing better overall and appear to be a competent squad. Cole Anthony has had his best games and the team is getting contributions from the aforementioned Robinson and grad transfer Christian Keeling.

Up front, Garrison Brooks has been a stud. He scored 30 against NC State to kick off the winning streak and has scored at least 20 in the last 5 games he has played. His offensive emergence this year, after averaging less than 9 points a game in his first two years of college, has been a bright spot in a dark season for the Heels. Brooks has been needed, too as freshman big man Armando Bacot has not provided much offense or anything else lately. He did not even play against Wake Forest after suffering an ankle sprain against Syracuse. His health is key for UNC as they are extremely thin up front behind Brooks. They can play grad transfer Justin Pierce for a few minutes, but that is about it.

You can look at the matchups and the players for this one, but I think we've learned to throw it all out the door when it comes to Duke and UNC. I hope the home crowd is enough to coax out a Duke team that plays with heart. If Duke is playing to its abilities against UNC, it could be a fun night at Cameron Indoor Stadium. But I fully believe that there will be some tense moments in this one. The Duke-UNC matchup always delivers.

dukelifer
03-04-2020, 09:47 PM
After the last Duke game and the "Dean Dome Double Buzzer Beater", the Tar Heels suffered a humiliating loss at Wake Forest and then back-to-back buzzer beaters in Chapel Hill to Virginia and then in South Bend to Notre Dame. In that last game, UNC senior Brandon Robinson returned from a yet another injury. He scored 11 in that game and then proceeded to mostly miss a bunch of jumpers before scoring 18 against Wake Forest on Tuesday night.

That second Wake Forest game was the 3rd victory in a row for UNC, who now sit at 14-17 on the season. With Robinson back in the fold, the team is playing better overall and appear to be a competent squad. Cole Anthony has had his best games and the team is getting contributions from the aforementioned Robinson and grad transfer Christian Keeling.

Up front, Garrison Brooks has been a stud. He scored 30 against NC State to kick off the winning streak and has scored at least 20 in the last 5 games he has played. His offensive emergence this year, after averaging less than 9 points a game in his first two years of college, has been a bright spot in a dark season for the Heels. Brooks has been needed, too as freshman big man Armando Bacot has not provided much offense or anything else lately. He did not even play against Wake Forest after suffering an ankle sprain against Syracuse. His health is key for UNC as they are extremely thin up front behind Brooks. They can play grad transfer Justin Pierce for a few minutes, but that is about it.

You can look at the matchups and the players for this one, but I think we've learned to throw it all out the door when it comes to Duke and UNC. I hope the home crowd is enough to coax out a Duke team that plays with heart. If Duke is playing to its abilities against UNC, it could be a fun night at Cameron Indoor Stadium. But I fully believe that there will be some tense moments in this one. The Duke-UNC matchup always delivers.

While UNC is having a poor season, they are more than capable of winning the ACC tourney. This is a team that has a number of very good pieces- and they are playing with house money. This team cannot be counted out until they are truly out.

arnie
03-04-2020, 09:57 PM
While UNC is having a poor season, they are more than capable of winning the ACC tourney. This is a team that has a number of very good pieces- and they are playing with house money. This team cannot be counted out until they are truly out.

Cole Anthony agrees with you. On radio broadcast today, claims Cheats are playing like a Top 10 team now. Guess he thinks taking down Deacs at the dump solves all their woes.

DavidBenAkiva
03-04-2020, 10:07 PM

I suppose anyone is capable of winning the ACC Tournament, but let's be honest here. They just won 3 in a row, including a 6-point home win over NC State, a nice road win over Syracuse, and then a 10-point home win over Wake Forest. The game before the streak started, they got blown out against Louisville. This is also an extremely thin (by Roy not K) team with 1 center on the roster that just sprained his ankle, no reliable frontcourt backups, and a team that has shot almost 30% from 3 on the season. And they'll have to win 5 games in 5 days to win the ACC Tournament. It's not like they will have an easy path or have the same kind of talent as the top 4 in the conference.

dukelifer
03-04-2020, 10:39 PM
Cole Anthony agrees with you. On radio broadcast today, claims Cheats are playing like a Top 10 team now. Guess he thinks taking down Deacs at the dump solves all their woes.

They are close to a top 10 team- in the ACC that is.

dukelifer
03-04-2020, 10:48 PM
I suppose anyone is capable of winning the ACC Tournament, but let's be honest here. They just won 3 in a row, including a 6-point home win over NC State, a nice road win over Syracuse, and then a 10-point home win over Wake Forest. The game before the streak started, they got blown out against Louisville. This is also an extremely thin (by Roy not K) team with 1 center on the roster that just sprained his ankle, no reliable frontcourt backups, and a team that has shot almost 30% from 3 on the season. And they'll have to win 5 games in 5 days to win the ACC Tournament. It's not like they will have an easy path or have the same kind of talent as the top 4 in the conference.

They have had injuries all season. Brooks who is a load missed the Louisville game. Robinson missed the Duke game and several others in their losing streak- he is their best three point shooter. This current team is better than the one Duke faced. Yes- they have a challenging road but they will have the crowd and nothing to lose. Not a good combination.

duke4ever19
03-05-2020, 01:11 AM
They have had injuries all season. Brooks who is a load missed the Louisville game. Robinson missed the Duke game and several others in their losing streak- he is their best three point shooter. This current team is better than the one Duke faced. Yes- they have a challenging road but they will have the crowd and nothing to lose. Not a good combination.

In a twisted way, I hope they get to the semi-finals. I want to see every one of them sucking wind. A championship game would be paradise.

MarkD83
03-05-2020, 07:14 AM
In a twisted way, I hope they get to the semi-finals. I want to see every one of them sucking wind. A championship game would be paradise.

It would be more fun for them to have another excruciating loss on Tuesday. Duke fans can then buy up the extra seats for the rest of the tournament

OldPhiKap
03-05-2020, 07:37 AM
It would be more fun for them to have another excruciating loss on Tuesday. Duke fans can then buy up the extra seats for the rest of the tournament

Yup. Stomp hard.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-05-2020, 07:53 AM

Do not tempt the fate of the UCONN miracle a few years ago

jv001
03-05-2020, 08:08 AM

I want them to lose every game they play and I hope for them to not score a point. I thought I had my wish when it was 7-0 at halftime long time ago. :cool:

GoDuke!

weezie
03-05-2020, 08:12 AM

Oh heck yes to this!

Crickets and a few lonely sweater vests draped over the empty seats behind the in the hole bench and rabid Duke fans right behind.

CDu
03-05-2020, 08:47 AM

On this count, I agree. Anthony (their only PG) missed 11 games. Robinson (their best SG) missed 9 others. Brooks (their All-ACC big) missed one, but it was a big one (Louisville). For a team that only plays 7-8 guys and has few scoring options, that is a problem.

I would also note that their role players have only more recently found their form. Keeling - known as a scorer coming into the season, really struggled until February. But in his last 9 games, he has averaged 12.7 ppm and is hitting 50% from 3. He is now a legitimate weapon alongside Anthony and the now healthy again Robinson.

And to top it off, they have had some extremely bad luck in close games. They are 1-7 in games decided by less than 5 points.

I would suggest that this is a team playing like a top-30 or top-40 team right now. Looking at their season-long performance really undersells their current level of play.

moonpie23
03-05-2020, 08:58 AM
prepare yourselves....they are playing MUCH better.....we can win this game, but they are better than when we played over there.....we'll need to play much better as well..

budwom
03-05-2020, 09:06 AM
yes, i've seen the movies (Glenn Close sitting up in the bathtub), they're not done yet. I expect a very tough game.

Troublemaker
03-05-2020, 10:35 AM

Of course it's possible but it's still statistically quite unlikely. If, in their 5 ACC tournament games, they have the following odds to win multiplied together -- 90% x 80% x 60% x 50% x 40% -- they still would only have an 8.6% chance to win the tourney overall. And I am giving them a *ton* of credit with those odds (to the point it's just wrong/unrealistic). I do expect UNC to make a run to the QF, and we'll see from there.

flyingdutchdevil
03-05-2020, 10:38 AM
On this count, I agree. Anthony (their only PG) missed 11 games. Robinson (their best SG) missed 9 others. Brooks (their All-ACC big) missed one, but it was a big one (Louisville). For a team that only plays 7-8 guys and has few scoring options, that is a problem.

I would also note that their role players have only more recently found their form. Keeling - known as a scorer coming into the season, really struggled until February. But in his last 9 games, he has averaged 12.7 ppm and is hitting 50% from 3. He is now a legitimate weapon alongside Anthony and the now healthy again Robinson.

And to top it off, they have had some extremely bad luck in close games. They are 1-7 in games decided by less than 5 points.

I would suggest that this is a team playing like a top-30 or top-40 team right now. Looking at their season-long performance really undersells their current level of play.

Did Coach K and Roy decide to swap rotation strategies this season?

Anywho, I'd love a 25-point beat down. I don't want anymore drama. Just beat the hell out of them.

Music man55
03-05-2020, 10:50 AM
prepare yourselves...they are playing MUCH better...we can win this game, but they are better than when we played over there...we'll need to play much better as well..

I hope Duke is laser focused Sat. Night and playing with aggression and tough defense , because the cheats are going to bring it and we had better be ready. This cheat team right now is a very dangerous team with a good mix of two very good players and a few more really coming on now.They are more than capable of getting hot and getting on a run in this upcoming tournament.I will not feel relieved until they lose next week.And no,we don't want to see them in the championship game in Greensboro next sat.night.

dukebluesincebirth
03-05-2020, 10:58 AM
I hope Duke is laser focused Sat. Night and playing with aggression and tough defense , because the cheats are going to bring it and we had better be ready. This cheat team right now is a very dangerous team with a good mix of two very good players and a few more really coming on now.They are more than capable of getting hot and getting on a run in this upcoming tournament.I will not feel relieved until they lose next week.And no,we don't want to see them in the championship game in Greensboro next sat.night.

Again, the whole key to this game IMO is a fast start. Duke starts out flat- cheats gain confidence, Cameron isn't rocking, young Duke players get anxious and turn the ball over, cheats build a lead like in ch hill and we have to make a heroic comeback to win. Duke starts out fast- Cameron is rocking, cheats start to fold and remember how much they suck, Duke builds a lead, young Duke players feed off the energy and play with more confidence. It starts on the defensive end. If we lock in on D FROM THE OPENING TIP, we take control no matter if 3s are falling or not. But it has to be from the very start, not 5-10 minutes in.

CDu
03-05-2020, 11:12 AM
As I mentioned in a previous post, this is a sneakily good UNC team. They aren't the top-10 or top-25 caliber team of years past, but they are probably a top-40ish team. Don't let the record fool you; that has been deflated by a series of injuries and by some bad luck in close games. Not that I'm crying any tears for them at all, just that we shouldn't look at their record and feel overconfident. Because over their last 6 games since they got healthy, they have been playing like a top-40 team.

The Heels still play their typical style: pushing tempo at all times, even off made baskets; rebounding like crazy; utilizing their bigs in the post on halfcourt sets. They are again an elite rebounding team, in spite of not having the size they have historically had. That has been the only thing they've done consistently well this year, in large part because continuity has been a problem. They basically played from mid-December through mid-February missing either their starting PG or their best wing player. For a team that isn't deep, that's a problem. But their perimeter players are all healthy and contributing, and that makes them dangerous. They have a very good top 5 or 6... the problem is that they don't have any depth.

Bigs: Armando Bacot is the starting center. Bacot has had an up and down freshman season. He's got talent, but he has had trouble being consistent and staying on the floor. His biggest limitation is that he can get in foul trouble, which somewhat limits his minutes. If he's not in the game, the Heels go small. Despite having a couple of other tall bodies, Roy rightfully doesn't trust those guys to contribute.

Forwards: Garrison Brooks has been a star for the Heels this year. His development over his 3 years has been really impressive. He's been an All-ACC guy this year, and his emergence has kept UNC's season from being as bad as the Kris Lang/Jason Capel season of yore. Brooks is the matchup nightmare for us. He's a dynamic athlete with a burgeoning jumpshot. We don't have a good matchup for him. He's too strong and athletic for Hurt and Robinson. He's probably too big for White and Moore. We could potentially put DeLaurier on him, but that exposes our backup C to foul trouble and causes floor spacing issues on the other end. How we handle Brooks will be a telling sign of our success in this one. Behind Brooks is Justin Pierce. The grad transfer from George Mason just hasn't panned out for UNC. He's essentially a role player. He is more athletic and skilled than he has let on this year, but it's hard to see him making a big impact in this one.

Wings: Now that Brandon Robinson is healthy and Christian Keeling is playing well, this is actually a bit of a strength for the Heels. Robinson has been at times a lethal scorer on the wing. He took a while to get back into form after his injury, but his performance against Wake suggests he's found his rhythm again. Robinson is built like Alex O'Connell, but is a very capable shooter and slasher. He provides floor spacing for Anthony and Brooks, and he gives them a truly ACC-caliber option at the wing. Alongside him is Keeling, who really struggled up through January after doing a grad transfer from Charleston Southern. But his numbers since the FSU game have been terrific: 9 games, 12.7 ppg, 55% fg%, 50% 3pt shooting, 9+ points in every game. He's a legitimate scoring threat from the perimeter now, and that paired with Robinson (remember: we didn't face Robinson in Chapel Hill) gives them a quite potent pair of wings around Anthony and Brooks. The third wing is Leaky Black. Black is a bit of a "Jack of many trades, master of none" type, capable of playing SG to PF for the Heels and filling a lot of gaps. He's a pretty good passer who will often facilitate in place of Anthony so as to allow Anthony to focus on scoring. Any two of Robinson, Keeling, and Black could start, but all three will play liberally. The fourth wing is Andrew Platek. Platek, Duke's MVP from the first matchup, is essentially a practice player who was forced into too much action due to the Anthony and later Robinson injuries, and was a big part of the team's scruggles. He's just not very good. Now that Anthony and Robinson are healthy and Keeling has found his game, Platek plays sparingly.

Guards: The single most important position in UNC's system, and it is manned by their most talented player. Cole Anthony can most everything from the PG spot. He can shoot, can drive, can pass, can rebound, can defend. The problem has been health and his trust in his teammates. He has tried to do too much at times this year, resulting in efficiency struggles through much of the season and failure to get others involved. But he has been terrific the last 6 games: 21.7 ppg, 50.6 fg%, 47.5 3pt%, 5.3 apg, 2.0 assist/turnover ratio, 4 rpg. In short, he's finally looking like the guy they thought they were getting this season. He is a First-team All-ACC talent who is only now playing like it. Anthony will play as close to 40 minutes as he can, and should be a tough matchup for us as he was in the first one.

The good news is that we have now seen UNC's offense once, albeit a slightly deflated version with Platek in place of Robinson. The bad news is that they played pretty well against us the first time. Had they not thoroughly choked the game away, it'd have been a rough loss to swallow, and it started to show the chinks in our team's armor. They run a lot of high ball screens, which when run by Anthony could be problematic for us. And they now have the shooters (Robinson, Anthony, and Keeling) to make us pay for playing zone, not to mention a tenacious offensive rebounding team. So it feels like the type of game we'll need to win with a good offensive night. But you never know. The one plus is that we have now seen their up-tempo style, so we should be better prepared for limiting their transition points. While they are better now in the halfcourt than they were earlier in the season, they are still at their most dangerous in transition.

The plus is that they really aren't deep, and if they get in any foul trouble they can be exposed. Especially so if Brooks or Anthony gets in foul trouble. And if they aren't shooting well, they don't have a ton of weapons to break down a defense. Hopefully they have an off-night shooting, or we really come to play.

whereinthehellami
03-05-2020, 11:14 AM

I really hope Duke brings the intensity this Saturday. With the inconsistent play of late, tourney success is not guaranteed. A big part of my enjoyment for this season will be a throttling of UNC at home to finish the regular season.

I think switching defenses on UNC and frustrating Anthony is a good way to go. His defense is not where he hangs his hat and late in the game he has been downright awful on that end. I would like to see Duke focus on attacking Anthony. Make him work on defense and not hide. Maybe even get him in foul trouble.

I want to see Roy mad-squat like only he can mad-squat.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-05-2020, 11:28 AM

I really hope Duke brings the intensity this Saturday. With the inconsistent play of late, tourney success is not guaranteed. A big part of my enjoyment for this season will be a throttling of UNC at home to finish the regular season.

I think switching defenses on UNC and frustrating Anthony is a good way to go. His defense is not where he hangs his hat and late in the game he has been downright awful on that end. I would like to see Duke focus on attacking Anthony. Make him work on defense and not hide. Maybe even get him in foul trouble.

I want to see Roy mad-squat like only he can mad-squat.

As long as we are talking about what we want... I don't want to deny Anthony the ball. I want to lure him into bad shots. My ideal line for him would be 5 points on 2-17 shooting to make all the Tar Heel fans' heads explode.

Nrrrrvous
03-05-2020, 11:35 AM
Again, the whole key to this game IMO is a fast start. Duke starts out flat- cheats gain confidence, Cameron isn't rocking, young Duke players get anxious and turn the ball over, cheats build a lead like in ch hill and we have to make a heroic comeback to win. Duke starts out fast- Cameron is rocking, cheats start to fold and remember how much they suck, Duke builds a lead, young Duke players feed off the energy and play with more confidence. It starts on the defensive end. If we lock in on D FROM THE OPENING TIP, we take control no matter if 3s are falling or not. But it has to be from the very start, not 5-10 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SZn-_9Hs-I

A couple of these before the first media timeout would possibly set the tone for the evening?

Billy Dat
03-05-2020, 11:44 AM
I agree that UNC has played better these past few weeks, but have they actually played better then they played against us for the first 37 minutes of the first Duke/UNC match-up? Had they played that way for all the games where they had Cole Anthony, they'd probably be a tournament team. My point is that we shouldn't be surprised by how good they are because they probably played their best game of the season in the loss to us the first time.

As for Duke, there are still a lot of questions:
-What will we do on the defensive end? Now that the zone won us a game, will it be back? We will only use it as a last resort? CDu's write-up has a nice section about the trouble defending this team which will put Vernon into the high ball screen blender but also has the shooting to punish zones. The just shot over 40% from 3 against Syracuse's zone...which isn't exactly vintage (KenPom 136!).
-For this Duke team, the starting 5 is a real misnomer because every game seems to be decided by the finishing 5-6 who command the minutes in the "4th quarter". Who will that be this game?
-Who will be the surprise starter that plays less than 5 minutes?
-While it's officially senior night for 3 players, how many will essentially be thinking it's their last time playing in Cameron and be mentally out of it as a result? No matter what any NBA Draft boards currently say, you can bet that Tre, Vernon, Cassius and Hurt may all be thinking ahead. That worries me.

Lots of questions.

left_hook_lacey
03-05-2020, 12:06 PM
As long as we are talking about what we want... I don't want to deny Anthony the ball. I want to lure him into bad shots. My ideal line for him would be 5 points on 2-17 shooting to make all the Tar Heel fans' heads explode.

I think this is our best strategy. I have a feeling Anthony, with the disappointing season thus far, will be looking to redeem himself on the last big stage game of his short college career. He knows this is a chance to show off to prove himself to the doubters, and I think that falls right into our hands.

Get him turning it over and forcing shots like he was doing all season until about 3 games ago, and this one will be over quickly.

If he plays patient, moves the ball, and gets Keeling and Brooks involved early to spread the floor, we'll have another fight on our hands.

Kedsy
03-05-2020, 12:06 PM
The one plus is that we have now seen their up-tempo style, so we should be better prepared for limiting their transition points. While they are better now in the halfcourt than they were earlier in the season, they are still at their most dangerous in transition.

FWIW, and this number may be skewed by all the time without Anthony, but UNC hasn't played particularly fast this season. According to Pomeroy, their adjusted tempo is 70.6 possessions per game, while Duke's is 72.0.

That said, in their first game against us, UNC scored 16 fast break points, which is the 7th most we've allowed this season.

uh_no
03-05-2020, 12:16 PM
I wish I had a thread in which to discuss :)

gofurman
03-05-2020, 12:20 PM

Agree on acct. but as far v us they are in a roll w Anthony and brooks in backcourt (they can both hit threes well esp Brooks!). And now brooks and Bacot in front. And the transfer playing better. Good team now. Easily could beat us Sat

Kedsy
03-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Agree on acct. but as far v us they are in a roll w Anthony and brooks in backcourt (they can both hit threes well esp Brooks!). And now brooks and Bacot in front. And the transfer playing better. Good team now. Easily could beat us Sat

Brooks is in the backcourt and in front? Impressive.

Also, they may beat us, but it's unlikely to be "easily" in Durham.

gofurman
03-05-2020, 12:40 PM

Good point. Robinson and Brooks

rsvman
03-05-2020, 12:50 PM
I wish I had a thread in which to discuss :)

Um....that thread has been up for days. Just FYI.

pfrduke
03-05-2020, 01:23 PM
K doesn’t always do the senior starter thing for senior day, to the best of my recollection, but I wonder if he’ll give Javin, Jack, and J-Rob the start Saturday (with Jordan and Jones for a 5-J lineup, of a sort).

Natty_B
03-05-2020, 01:44 PM

Agree on the "easily" this thread is acting like UNC isn't 13-17 (I know injuries and such but you are what you are). Duke has played very well at Cameron lately and there is a decent, dare I say probable, chance Duke wins this game and the Heels season is over in less than a week.

CDu
03-05-2020, 01:56 PM
FWIW, and this number may be skewed by all the time without Anthony, but UNC hasn't played particularly fast this season. According to Pomeroy, their adjusted tempo is 70.6 possessions per game, while Duke's is 72.0.

That's still a pretty fast pace: 62nd nationally. We just happen to play even faster this year (35th nationally). They don't play as fast as they have in previous years, but they still play fast.

kAzE
03-05-2020, 02:08 PM
I wonder how much zone we will play. I thought about the roster, and It's kind of surprising that we hadn't tried zone at all until now. We have two pretty good guards for the top of the 2-3 in Jones and Goldwire. They aren't the biggest or lengthiest guards, but they are both pretty feisty. Carey and Hurt are both pretty bad at guarding P&R, so the zone should help them with their mobility and fouling issues, and we have a number of big, athletic wings to man the corners.

I get that we had a pretty good thing going on defense earlier in the season, which is probably why we didn't utilize the 2-3 until last game, but to have not even practiced it is a bit surprising given this team's weaknesses. It did work pretty well against NC State, but they were still getting wide open 3s off of one pass, so it was pretty obvious we had never practiced it. We got lucky they didn't hit any of those shots. Hopefully, with the few extras days between games, we put some work into it this week.

DavidBenAkiva
03-05-2020, 02:15 PM
Because over their last 6 games since they got healthy, they have been playing like a top-40 team.

Excellent write-up as always, but I did want to pick on this statement. UNC is scoring like a top 50 team. They are not playing defense like one.

In conference games, UNC has the 12th best (out of 15) adjusted D and has given up at least 100 points per 100 possessions (PPP) in its past 8 games, coinciding with the first Duke game. They had a string of 5 conference games heading into that one where they were giving up less than 100 PPP. Just looking at the last 10 games, they rate 116th nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency and 67th in adjusted offensive efficiency. The offense has been improving lately, in particular in the past three games. The defense has not.

But you can throw a lot of the trend stuff out the door in the Duke-UNC rivalry. I expect a competitive game.

Devilwin
03-05-2020, 04:04 PM
Duke needs to play like the team that beat down State last week. That team will win. The bunch that lost to Wake may not. Carolina is better than their record by a mile.

uh_no
03-05-2020, 04:13 PM
Duke needs to play like the team that beat down State last week. That team will win. The bunch that lost to Wake may not. Carolina is better than their record by a mile.

the team that trailed for most of the first half and only mustered a 2 point lead against a team with a losing conference record?

I'd prefer better than that, if even the final outcome was decent.

CDu
03-05-2020, 04:39 PM
Excellent write-up as always, but I did want to pick on this statement. UNC is scoring like a top 50 team. They are not playing defense like one.

No, they have been playing like a top-50 team in their last six. Their offense has been playing substantially BETTER than a top-50 team in that span: adjOff of 114.9, 118.8, 95.0, 113.0, 136.7, 125.4. That's an average of 117.3, which would be SIXTH nationally over a full season.

Their defense has not been very good, which is why they've been playing like a top-50 team and not a top-25 team (or better) over that stretch. But for reference, their adjDef over that span have been 105.4, 103.3, 98.2, 99.2, 99.9, 107.8, for an average of 102.3. Taking that with their offense gives them an efficiency margin of 15, which would be about 39th or 40th nationwide.

Basically, they've been Iowa or LSU or St Mary's over their last 6 games.

Phredd3
03-05-2020, 04:44 PM

Which are teams we should beat on our home floor, but could lose to if we don't come out with focus and energy.

CDu
03-05-2020, 05:01 PM
Which are teams we should beat on our home floor, but could lose to if we don't come out with focus and energy.

Of course. Those are better teams than State, who hammered us in Raleigh and gave us fits until we went zone in Cameron. And substantially better than Pitt or SFA, who gave us fits and beat us, respectively.

devilseven
03-05-2020, 05:19 PM
Of course. Those are better teams than State, who hammered us in Raleigh and gave us fits until we went zone in Cameron. And substantially better than Pitt or SFA, who gave us fits and beat us, respectively.

We lost to Pitt????????

uh_no
03-05-2020, 05:21 PM
Pitt or SFA, who gave us fits and beat us, respectively.

We lost to Pitt????????

no. pitt gave us fits. sfa beat us.

gofurman
03-05-2020, 05:38 PM
No, they have been playing like a top-50 team in their last six. Their offense has been playing substantially BETTER than a top-50 team in that span: adjOff of 114.9, 118.8, 95.0, 113.0, 136.7, 125.4. That's an average of 117.3, which would be SIXTH nationally over a full season.

Their defense has not been very good, which is why they've been playing like a top-50 team and not a top-25 team (or better) over that stretch. But for reference, their adjDef over that span have been 105.4, 103.3, 98.2, 99.2, 99.9, 107.8, for an average of 102.3. Taking that with their offense gives them an efficiency margin of 15, which would be about 39th or 40th nationwide.

Somehow I just can’t equate Iowa LSU St Mary’s and UNC. I have no fear of the former three at CIS. I saw UNC kill us for majority of last game.

Kedsy
03-05-2020, 06:09 PM
But for reference, their adjDef over that span have been 105.4, 103.3, 98.2, 99.2, 99.9, 107.8, for an average of 102.3.

Unadjusted, a 102.3 for the entire season would be 260th. Adjusted (per Pomeroy), it would be 176th.

It's not a clear trend (might not be a trend at all), but I think we play better against teams with defenses way worse than their offenses (like recent UNC), rather than the other way around.

Somehow I just can’t equate Iowa LSU St Mary’s and UNC. I have no fear of the former three at CIS. I saw UNC kill us for majority of last game.

You saw Stephen F. Austin and Wake Forest beat us for an entire game. Would you equate either of them with UNC? If this next game were against one of those, would you fear those teams at CIS?

Actually, I just looked up SFA and WF, and for the season, their KenPom rank isn't much different from UNC (Pomeroy #84). Going from SFA (#102) or Wake Forest (#93) to Iowa (#24), Saint Mary's (#35), or LSU (#41, and the best comparison for the 6-game-UNC that CDu described) is a pretty big step up.

TruBlu
03-05-2020, 06:24 PM
We lost to Pitt????????

Don’t feel bad. I misread CDU’s post the first time also. I had to reread it, figuring that CDU knows his stuff.

devilseven
03-05-2020, 06:56 PM
Don’t feel bad. I misread CDU’s post the first time also. I had to reread it, figuring that CDU knows his stuff.
one
Yes, I misread it. My bad. It was one of those dreaded 9PM games, past my bed time and I missed it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-06-2020, 06:40 AM
I've watched a LOT of Tar Heel basketball this season (I've had an open invite from a neighbor to watch games with him for years, and somehow it's been a lot more fun to do so this season) and I can tell you that their offense is a different animal at this point in the season.

During almost every UNC broadcast, they have mentioned that this season's team is historically poor at shooting - they've stopped saying they are the worst shooting team in Chapel Hill since 1958 or something. They are shooting **much** better the last few games, and the reason seems to be Cold Anthony.

Anthony started the season gang Buster's and then seemed to be forcing the issue too much before he was injured. They lost games, he missed a bunch of games that they also lost. Then when he came back, he seemed to be bound and determined to prove himself a stud, and his teammates seemed happy to sit back and watch. I don't remember which game it was back in January, Cole had just come back, UNC was down one with the ball and maybe twenty seconds. During those twenty seconds, everyone watched Cole dribble around, no one moved to get open, and he took a terrible forced guarded shot and they lost.

They aren't doing any of those things anymore. Cole is a more active teammate in the offense, the other players can move without the ball and expect to be found, Keeling is hitting jumpshots, Robinson is hitting threes, Garrison Brooks is stroking short jumpers and going to the rim with athleticism, and Cole Anthony is back to picking the right times to attack. This team is much better than their season long statistics suggest. They dropped how many points on the Orangemen zone? Eighty something?

All this to say two things:

1) I mentioned this elsewhere, but bait Anthony into trying to overperform. Goad him into launching 30 footers, let him go cannonball style into the lane, not knowing where to let go.of the ball. If we can tempt him into becoming "Bad Anthony," and the rest of his team can stand around watching, we win easy.
2) I cannot emphasize this enough - go for the jugular from the get go. No slow start. No touchy feely stuff on senior night. No feeling out the defense, no slow breaks to set something up on offense. The longer UNC sticks around tomorrow night and this season, the more confident they become. Go hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer. If we find ourselves up fifteen, go harder. If we're up thirty, keep building. We need to make a statement about who our team is, and who UNC is not. I keep hearing how UNC can make a run, surprise some people tomorrow and then get to Greensboro and, well, who knows... 9F that. Let's take that idea and bury it in the ground. Let's make the lead story on ESPN not even mention UNC, but just say DUKE IS BACK.

If this game and the opportunity it presents doesn't get your blood pumping, if the March air doesn't give you goosebumps, and if you don't think Coach K and our players are capable of absolutely boatracing the Tar Heels out of our building tomorrow, I don't know what to tell you. Let's send those UNC players back home on a silent bus tomorrow night.

LET'S GO DUKE

rdearth15
03-06-2020, 07:56 AM
I've watched a LOT of Tar Heel basketball this season (I've had an open invite from a neighbor to watch games with him for years, and somehow it's been a lot more fun to do so this season) and I can tell you that their offense is a different animal at this point in the season.

During almost every UNC broadcast, they have mentioned that this season's team is historically poor at shooting - they've stopped saying they are the worst shooting team in Chapel Hill since 1958 or something. They are shooting **much** better the last few games, and the reason seems to be Cold Anthony.

Anthony started the season gang Buster's and then seemed to be forcing the issue too much before he was injured. They lost games, he missed a bunch of games that they also lost. Then when he came back, he seemed to be bound and determined to prove himself a stud, and his teammates seemed happy to sit back and watch. I don't remember which game it was back in January, Cole had just come back, UNC was down one with the ball and maybe twenty seconds. During those twenty seconds, everyone watched Cole dribble around, no one moved to get open, and he took a terrible forced guarded shot and they lost.

They aren't doing any of those things anymore. Cole is a more active teammate in the offense, the other players can move without the ball and expect to be found, Keeling is hitting jumpshots, Robinson is hitting threes, Garrison Brooks is stroking short jumpers and going to the rim with athleticism, and Cole Anthony is back to picking the right times to attack. This team is much better than their season long statistics suggest. They dropped how many points on the Orangemen zone? Eighty something?

1) I mentioned this elsewhere, but bait Anthony into trying to overperform. Goad him into launching 30 footers, let him go cannonball style into the lane, not knowing where to let go.of the ball. If we can tempt him into becoming "Bad Anthony," and the rest of his team can stand around watching, we win easy.
2) I cannot emphasize this enough - go for the jugular from the get go. No slow start. No touchy feely stuff on senior night. No feeling out the defense, no slow breaks to set something up on offense. The longer UNC sticks around tomorrow night and this season, the more confident they become. Go hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer. If we find ourselves up fifteen, go harder. If we're up thirty, keep building. We need to make a statement about who our team is, and who UNC is not. I keep hearing how UNC can make a run, surprise some people tomorrow and then get to Greensboro and, well, who knows... 9F that. Let's take that idea and bury it in the ground. Let's make the lead story on ESPN not even mention UNC, but just say DUKE IS BACK.

If this game and the opportunity it presents doesn't get your blood pumping, if the March air doesn't give you goosebumps, and if you don't think Coach K and our players are capable of absolutely boatracing the Tar Heels out of our building tomorrow, I don't know what to tell you. Let's send those UNC players back home on a silent bus tomorrow night.

LET'S GO DUKE

Forget the March air giving me goosebumps, that post did it for me!!!

Let's go Duke

9F!!!!!!

jv001
03-06-2020, 09:17 AM

LET'S GO DUKE

I like all your posts but this might be your finest hour. The few times I've checked in on a cheat game recently, they look like a different team. Then there's this; it's Duke vs the Cheats and anything can happen. We just can't come out slow against them because they think they will win without us giving them more confidence. If Bacot doesn't play, that may give us a chance to get their bigs in trouble and they don't have but one or two. 9F em.

GoDuke!

Rogue
03-06-2020, 09:26 AM
i've watched a lot of tar heel basketball this season (i've had an open invite from a neighbor to watch games with him for years, and somehow it's been a lot more fun to do so this season) and i can tell you that their offense is a different animal at this point in the season.

During almost every unc broadcast, they have mentioned that this season's team is historically poor at shooting - they've stopped saying they are the worst shooting team in chapel hill since 1958 or something. They are shooting **much** better the last few games, and the reason seems to be cold anthony.

Anthony started the season gang buster's and then seemed to be forcing the issue too much before he was injured. They lost games, he missed a bunch of games that they also lost. Then when he came back, he seemed to be bound and determined to prove himself a stud, and his teammates seemed happy to sit back and watch. I don't remember which game it was back in january, cole had just come back, unc was down one with the ball and maybe twenty seconds. During those twenty seconds, everyone watched cole dribble around, no one moved to get open, and he took a terrible forced guarded shot and they lost.

They aren't doing any of those things anymore. Cole is a more active teammate in the offense, the other players can move without the ball and expect to be found, keeling is hitting jumpshots, robinson is hitting threes, garrison brooks is stroking short jumpers and going to the rim with athleticism, and cole anthony is back to picking the right times to attack. This team is much better than their season long statistics suggest. They dropped how many points on the orangemen zone? Eighty something?

1) i mentioned this elsewhere, but bait anthony into trying to overperform. Goad him into launching 30 footers, let him go cannonball style into the lane, not knowing where to let go.of the ball. If we can tempt him into becoming "bad anthony," and the rest of his team can stand around watching, we win easy.
2) i cannot emphasize this enough - go for the jugular from the get go. No slow start. No touchy feely stuff on senior night. No feeling out the defense, no slow breaks to set something up on offense. The longer unc sticks around tomorrow night and this season, the more confident they become. Go hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer. If we find ourselves up fifteen, go harder. If we're up thirty, keep building. We need to make a statement about who our team is, and who unc is not. I keep hearing how unc can make a run, surprise some people tomorrow and then get to greensboro and, well, who knows... 9f that. Let's take that idea and bury it in the ground. Let's make the lead story on espn not even mention unc, but just say duke is back.

If this game and the opportunity it presents doesn't get your blood pumping, if the march air doesn't give you goosebumps, and if you don't think coach k and our players are capable of absolutely boatracing the tar heels out of our building tomorrow, i don't know what to tell you. Let's send those unc players back home on a silent bus tomorrow night.

Let's go duke

" i cannot emphasize this enough - go for the jugulr from the get go. No slow start "
this

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-06-2020, 10:52 AM
" i cannot emphasize this enough - go for the jugulr from the get go. No slow start "
this

The longer we let the Tar Heels stay in the game, the more their confidence grows. Let's have a spectacular first five minutes and go from there.

Fish80
03-06-2020, 10:58 AM
The longer we let the Tar Heels stay in the game, the more their confidence grows. Let's have a spectacular first five minutes and go from there.

Start playing defense when they step off the bus. Don’t let them get a free stroll to the locker room.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-06-2020, 11:04 AM
Start playing defense when they step off the bus. Don’t let them get a free stroll to the locker room.

I like that. We can have those overzealous managers herd them like cats from the parking lot.

English
03-06-2020, 11:18 AM
I like all your posts but this might be your finest hour. The few times I've checked in on a cheat game recently, they look like a different team. Then there's this; it's Duke vs the Cheats and anything can happen. We just can't come out slow against them because they think they will win without us giving them more confidence. If Bacot doesn't play, that may give us a chance to get their bigs in trouble and they don't have but one or two. 9F em.

GoDuke!

Bacot is likely to be full-go in practice today...for the Duke-unx game, he's definitely playing. I think your point stands, though. Attack their bigs.

uh_no
03-06-2020, 11:25 AM
(on interactions with K) Before the game, I say good luck. After the game, I say congratulations.

darn right you do.

dukelifer
03-06-2020, 11:52 AM

LET'S GO DUKE

UNC got Duke's attention in the first meeting and so Duke should be more ready this time. But as you note- Anthony is getting his shooting back and showing why he is a top 5 pick, and Brooks is a load. Tre will need his A game defensively. This game is going to be won with hard nose defense. If this is a throwback team- perhaps they should watch the ACC tourney game from 1988. Now that was when these two teams really disliked each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU7oQ4WFCyE&list=PLM7DleDshmsQUnb1r_caZuB7T5sAahhmP&index=41&pbjreload=10

Phredd3
03-06-2020, 02:57 PM
Let's send those UNC players back home on a silent bus tomorrow night.

Can they be on and under it at the same time?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-06-2020, 03:09 PM
Can they be on and under it at the same time?

Schrodinger's Heels?

weezie
03-06-2020, 05:29 PM
Oh yay! 2012 on ESPN right now!

Ggallagher
03-06-2020, 06:42 PM
Oh yay! 2012 on ESPN right now!

Just finished watching the rerun of the 2015 overtime victory in Cameron over the heels. It really made me smile when I heard one of Bilas's final comments after the game.

"There was no way for Duke to win this if Jones hadn't taken the team on his back at the end of regulation".

Sounded awfully familiar for some reason. I had forgotten that both games were saved by great Jones' efforts at the ends of the games.

Anyone know if these Jones guys come in sets of three like the Plumlees did? It'd be great to get another one.

devildeac
03-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Just finished watching the rerun of the 2015 overtime victory in Cameron over the heels. It really made me smile when I heard one of Bilas's final comments after the game.

"There was no way for Duke to win this if Jones hadn't taken the team on his back at the end of regulation".

Sounded awfully familiar for some reason. I had forgotten that both games were saved by great Jones' efforts at the ends of the games.

Anyone know if these Jones guys come in sets of three like the Plumlees did? It'd be great to get another one.

We've had four already that I can recall:

Dahntay, Uncle Matt, Tyus and Tre. How many more do you want?

If there are any more, I'm going to have trouble keeping up with the...

OldPhiKap
03-06-2020, 07:04 PM
We've had four already that I can recall:

Dahntay, Uncle Matt, Tyus and Tre. How many more do you want?

If there are any more, I'm going to have trouble keeping up with the...

Not to mention a Daniel in the NFL . . . .

jimsumner
03-06-2020, 07:29 PM
Cedric Jones had two sons play for Duke football. So, that's three.

And Marcus Jones played football and baseball.

Almost like Jones is a common surname.

Allan, Weldon, Shelden, Jason and Elliott Williams have all played for K.

Furniture
03-06-2020, 08:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzGGL8Jpn3Q

Anyone else get a lump in the old throat?

weezie
03-06-2020, 09:19 PM
Always a bit misty eyed on senior night. Watching K embracing the graduating players brings a lump to my throat.

wsb3
03-06-2020, 09:27 PM
Always a bit misty eyed on senior night. Watching K embracing the graduating players brings a lump to my throat.

Espeicially if it ends well. I watched 2011 Senior Night today with Nolan & Kyle.

Ggallagher
03-06-2020, 09:28 PM
Not to mention a Daniel in the NFL . . . .

All true, but I was really hoping for one more of the Apple Valley Jones's. But all those other ones were great too.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-06-2020, 09:32 PM

I think senior night, when it's the Cheats, is almost too much for one night, too much emotion for one game. There's so much pressure to win that game.....so easy to get over cooked on the emotion. Yes, it is throat clenching to be sure.

I like what Clemson did in football....moved their Senior Night to the next to last home game, rather than make it their rivalry game with South Carolina.

jv001
03-07-2020, 02:39 AM
Looks like Vegas had Duke favored by 11 to 11.5 points. I didn't think we would be favored by double digits. Over under at 152.5.

GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2020, 06:56 AM
Game day! Let's get hype!

https://youtu.be/saSyZiV_45E

English
03-07-2020, 08:03 AM
1995 CIS game on ESPNU. Capel, Wojo, Collins. Duke is up 10 with 10min left. I’m on the edge of my seat (well, bed).

richardjackson199
03-07-2020, 08:06 AM
Looks like Vegas had Duke favored by 11 to 11.5 points. I didn't think we would be favored by double digits. Over under at 152.5.

GoDuke!

Vegas is wrong. Have they learned nothing? Go Duke! But bet UNC + 11.5. Easy Money. :cool:

superdave
03-07-2020, 09:20 AM
GTHC

superdave
03-07-2020, 09:24 AM
Teams have collapsed on Carey of late. He’s been scouted. The only adjustment I have seen has been to let him face his man up from farther out. Not sure I like that.

I’d rather see double baseline screens and have him curl to the block for an entry pass before his defender gets set.

I do like switching defenses. It helps a young team stay focused.

The key tonight is for an energetic start and for someone other than Jones or Carey to step up and have a good first half. UNC would fold.

billwh
03-07-2020, 09:33 AM
Anybody other than me, going to the UNC game tonight, and thinking about the coronavirus? I don't think it's an issue, but I'm thinking about it anyway. I'm in the population at risk.

Steven43
03-07-2020, 09:42 AM
Anybody other than me, going to the UNC game tonight, and thinking about the coronavirus? I don't think it's an issue, but I'm thinking about it anyway. I'm in the population at risk.

I’m going and am thinking about it a little bit — just like I did when I was in Cameron Indoor for the NC State game. I’m not in the population at higher risk, but I am worried about potentially passing something on to my parents, who live in Cary. It is concerning.

Stray Gator
03-07-2020, 09:51 AM

My wife and I are in the at-risk age group, and we're still going to attend the game. On the other hand, we're seriously considering whether to cancel our planned month-long Europe trip for this summer. For us, at least, the modifications of our normal behavior need to be based on a balanced and reasonable weighing of the foreseeable risks.

TruBlu
03-07-2020, 10:13 AM
I’m in the at risk group, but am going to the game. My only slight concern is that there might be a few people there with the dreaded Carolina Fever Virus. But I built up a solid immunity to that crap a long time ago. It still turns my stomach when I witness it, however.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2020, 10:16 AM
I’m in the at risk group, but am going to the game. My only slight concern is that there might be a few people there with the dreaded Carolina Fever Virus. But I built up a solid immunity to that crap a long time ago. It still turns my stomach when I witness it, however.

Meh, it was overrated media hype anyway. Never a danger, other than to your appetite.

91_92_01_10_15
03-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Winning is now mandatory.

https://abc11.com/sports/high-school-star-battling-brain-tumor-getting-wish-to-see-duke-play/5991454/

fisheyes
03-07-2020, 11:10 AM
Winning is now mandatory.

https://abc11.com/sports/high-school-star-battling-brain-tumor-getting-wish-to-see-duke-play/5991454/

Wow.
What a fan.
Do it for Antonio!
9F!

Bob Green
03-07-2020, 11:42 AM
Keys to the Game:

1. Avoid foul trouble. Duke has the deeper rotation so we can’t give Carolina a break by having our talent sitting on the bench.

2. Play defense. You win games by outscoring the opponent so we need to D up and shutdown Carolina’s offense which has been horrid at times.

3. Turn defense into offense. Create turnovers and score in transition.

Forty minutes of intense pressure! Let’s get them down early and step on their throats.

budwom
03-07-2020, 11:44 AM
I kind of hope that we don't switch so much that we end up with our guards defending unc bigs in the post, because it wasn't any fun watching those mismatches vs UVA.

bluedev_92
03-07-2020, 12:12 PM
I kind of hope that we don't switch so much that we end up with our guards defending unc bigs in the post, because it wasn't any fun watching those mismatches vs UVA.

Plus 1!

uh_no
03-07-2020, 12:16 PM

i wouldn't keep my hopes up.

Bob Green
03-07-2020, 12:18 PM

Carolina is thin in the front court especially if Bacot is unavailable or limited.

Steven43
03-07-2020, 12:21 PM
Wow.
What a fan.
Do it for Antonio!
9F!
I teared-up upon reading that article and watching the videos. I have a 16-year-old son, so it really hit home for me.

We’re pulling for you, Antonio. So happy you are going to be in Cameron Indoor for the big game. I hope to see you there again one day.

devildeac
03-07-2020, 12:22 PM
Carolina is thin in the front court especially if Bacot is unavailable or limited.

Ha! He'll (likely) come off a stretcher and play in this one. It's the c*rolina way. :mad:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2020, 12:26 PM

Except that Brooks is incredibly efficient in the post. And I'll be shocked if Bacot doesn't play. This is their season ender, for all intents and purposes.

Bob Green
03-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Except that Brooks is incredibly efficient in the post. And I'll be shocked if Bacot doesn't play. This is their season ender, for all intents and purposes.

Brooks is very good - All ACC good. I’m not sure about Bacot, if he is hurt no sense playing him when another couple days recovery time could make a difference in ACCT.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2020, 12:34 PM
Brooks is very good - All ACC good. I’m not sure about Bacot, if he is hurt no sense playing him when another couple days recovery time could make a difference in ACCT.

I will be very surprised if he doesn't go. He nearly played their game earlier this week - got some reps in warm up. I'm not convinced he couldn't have gone if it had been a more important or closer game.

Bob Green
03-07-2020, 12:39 PM
I will be very surprised if he doesn't go.

Yep, Bacot will most likely play. It is Duke - Carolina. However, it remains to be seen if he is healthy.

budwom
03-07-2020, 12:57 PM
i wouldn't keep my hopes up.

no, hopes are not up at all...

Music man55
03-07-2020, 01:06 PM
Keys to the Game:

1. Avoid foul trouble. Duke has the deeper rotation so we can’t give Carolina a break by having our talent sitting on the bench.

2. Play defense. You win games by outscoring the opponent so we need to D up and shutdown Carolina’s offense which has been horrid at times.

3. Turn defense into offense. Create turnovers and score in transition.

Forty minutes of intense pressure! Let’s get them down early and step on their throats.
Agree on all 3 points Bob. Gotta punch them in the mouth at beginning of game and not let up. As good as Anthony is,we need to really try and limit Brooks as much as we can. Dude is a LOAD this year,all acc type of load. Let's go Duke!

richardjackson199
03-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Tre and Goldwire should give us a good matchup to try to contain Anthony defensively and make it tough for him.

Don't give them anything easy in their fast transition run-outs.

Rebound on both ends!!

Want this more than them for 40 minutes on every possession, every play, every loose ball.

Brooks is going to score some points, but hopefully we can keep him away from his comfort zone right around the basket where he is most lethal. If Brooks wants to get 3-4 fouls early I'm cool with that.

If Keeling and company decide to go en fuego from midrange again, well I guess we'll just have to stun them with another double OT heartbreaker.

But no pies being wagered this time. Let's just cover, blow them out to send them into the ACCT feeling bad about themselves, and get Roy back to his dadgum microphone for his customary pathos standup routine.

Go Duke!! Let's get it.

Neals384
03-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Hate to add any additional pressure, but we need to win to clinch a tie for last place ansd the 14 seed for the cheats.

richardjackson199
03-07-2020, 02:15 PM
Hate to add any additional pressure, but we need to win to clinch a tie for last place ansd the 14 seed for the cheats.

for real. If the cheats win their NIT hopes could still be alive

mattyoung18
03-07-2020, 02:57 PM

😈 Limit Anthony and Brooks these 2 have led them in scoring ever game.Make their scrubs step up.

brevity
03-07-2020, 04:29 PM
Announcers tonight: Dan Shulman/Jay Bilas/Holly Rowe (https://twitter.com/announcerskeds/status/1236375838494527488)

If you stream the game tonight and would like a break from that, ESPN has two alternate feeds: one in Spanish, and one above-the-rim broadcast which should just have the CIS announcer and crowd noise.

-jk
03-07-2020, 05:11 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=ccarc) to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

cbarry
03-07-2020, 05:22 PM
😈 Limit Anthony and Brooks these 2 have led them in scoring ever game.Make their scrubs step up.
I’m most worried about Keeling. He’s shooting 50% from 3 over the past few games. He is their best, most consistent shooter by far. I could see Keeling going off for 20-25.

Ultrarunner
03-07-2020, 05:33 PM
I’m most worried about Keeling. He’s shooting 50% from 3 over the past few games. He is their best, most consistent shooter by far. I could see Keeling going off for 20-25.

Keeling and Brooks are the reason the zone may be a bad choice for the game. They both can hit from the free throw line. Use it to mix things up, but don't rely on it for extended periods. If we have to, it will be bad news.

hallcity
03-07-2020, 05:41 PM
20 minutes to game time and student section not quite full.

jipops
03-07-2020, 05:46 PM
I feel like this will be similar to last game. The cheats will dominate for most of it. We’ll make it interesting towards the end.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2020, 05:46 PM
Good start go hard don't let up win win win

-jk
03-07-2020, 05:47 PM
20 minutes to game time and student section not quite full.

The section in front of me (across from the scorers table) is as full as it gets without upsetting the fire dept.

-jk

Ultrarunner
03-07-2020, 05:47 PM
I feel like this will be similar to last game. The cheats will dominate for most of it. We’ll make it interesting towards the end.

I'm hoping you're wrong on the front half of your prediction.
I'm getting old and would like to see the tournament.

Steven43
03-07-2020, 05:49 PM
Are you being serious??

Indoor66
03-07-2020, 05:53 PM
Announcers tonight: Dan Shulman/Jay Bilas/Holly Rowe (https://twitter.com/announcerskeds/status/1236375838494527488)

If you stream the game tonight and would like a break from that, ESPN has two alternate feeds: one in Spanish, and one above-the-rim broadcast which should just have the CIS announcer and crowd noise.

A mute button game.

dukelifer
03-07-2020, 05:54 PM

Certainly not going to be easy- all depends on how Duke defends. Can’t let them get going.

rsvman
03-07-2020, 06:15 PM
Off to a reasonable start. Amazed that Black made that long three.

D is active, but so is theirs. They are absolutely smothering Stanley.

dukelifer
03-07-2020, 06:22 PM
Off to a reasonable start. Amazed that Black made that long three.

D is active, but so is theirs. They are absolutely smothering Stanley.

Seniors playing well. Need to get some others going.

-jk
03-07-2020, 06:23 PM
I think K wants a fast, tiring pace.

-jk

AtlBluRew
03-07-2020, 06:26 PM
ESPN literally ignoring game action to show Bilas 94 feet.

slower
03-07-2020, 06:27 PM
Turned on game. Moore makes a stupid drive to nowhere. turned off game.

rsvman
03-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Really? The split screen?

accfanfrom1970
03-07-2020, 06:29 PM
ESPN literally ignoring game action to show Bilas 94 feet.

Who do I call, who do I write. No one likes it and yet they keep doing it. How can espn be so stupid and alienate so much of their audience?

Steven43
What the heck???

downeastdad
Uh oh, an early TO. Roy will have to manage them late in the game.

Skydog
03-07-2020, 06:30 PM

Really? That’s sad on so many levels.

fuse
03-07-2020, 06:35 PM
Got the fast start we wanted.
I’d like to see better defense.

Let’s Go Duke!!!!! 🔵😈

rsvman
03-07-2020, 06:35 PM
Cole Anthony is really good, and he's playing well. Nothing Tre could've done that he didn't do on that last play.

I'm liking the energy so far.

AtlBluRew
03-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Who do I call, who do I write. No one likes it and yet they keep doing it. How can espn be so stupid and alienate so much of their audience?

They’ve gone to a complete emphasis on the E part of the ESPN name, with the sports as merely as an excuse to promote their people and other programming.

At least they don’t show the few steps after Bilas walks 94 feet, in which he almost certainly asks if UNC is the greatest program of all time.

slower
03-07-2020, 06:40 PM
Really? That’s sad on so many levels.

Truly it is. I knew the turnover he'd make before he hit halfcourt. Far better ways for me to spend my evening.

scottdude8
03-07-2020, 06:42 PM
What JRob is doing right now is REMARKABLE. It can not be undersold.

fuse
03-07-2020, 06:43 PM
What great court vision by Moore on that pass to Jones.
Pretty floater from Vernon!!!

rsvman
03-07-2020, 06:44 PM
Happy to see Moore make the pass on the break. Too often he takes it himself even when passing is a better option.

AtlBluRew
03-07-2020, 06:44 PM

Seeing this performance, I better understand how Jack’s time has diminished. JRob is doing the defensive things that Jack does, and he can score.

Jack is still one of my favorites, though.

downeastdad
03-07-2020, 06:45 PM
Truly it is. I knew the turnover he'd make before he hit halfcourt. Far better ways for me to spend my evening.

Guess we're all basketball fans in our own ways.

Steven43
03-07-2020, 06:45 PM

Wow, you doubled-down on the negativity? What’s up with that? I’m at the game and it’s awesome. The crowd is super-intense. Nowhere else I’d rather be.

Steven43
03-07-2020, 06:47 PM

And not a moment too soon!

Skydog
03-07-2020, 06:48 PM

Or oversold in this case.

Steven43
03-07-2020, 06:49 PM
What does the replay show?

Skydog
03-07-2020, 06:50 PM
Wow, you doubled-down on the negativity? What’s up with that? I’m at the game and it’s awesome. The crowd is super-intense. Nowhere else I’d rather be.

Hey the 18yo made a mistake - that cant be forgiven.

scottdude8

Oooops. That’s what I get for posting half a beer in!

Acymetric

We must sell our shares of Justin Robinson at the exact right price.

WakeDevil
03-07-2020, 06:51 PM
Roy, quit whining. Robinson move into him, although not by much.

heyman25
03-07-2020, 06:57 PM
Impressive first half for Duke. One of the best this season.UNC is a very competitive team. Hate them but they are in the game.

Billy Dat
03-07-2020, 06:58 PM

I'm a believer.

I’m at the game and it’s awesome. The crowd is super-intense. Nowhere else I’d rather be.

I can feel it through the TV, the crowd seems great.

We had a chance to be up bigger, but I'll take the 8 point cushion. I am glad we've been able to play man. We reduced their 3 point attempts after a rocky start, glad we got their big in foul trouble.

I like our up-tempo style, kind of a continuation of the role reversal of the programs in offensive style this year. Tough to get Vernon touches tonight.

Tre playing with verve.

Skydog
03-07-2020, 06:58 PM
Impressive first half for Duke. One of the best this season.UNC is a very competitive team. Hate them but they are in the game.

Both teams giving maximum effort. Results aren’t always there but no lack of trying.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2020, 07:00 PM
I still want 30 point win.

davec
03-07-2020, 07:01 PM
Loving the quick counterattacks. Seems like a good weapon for a team as deep as ours.

SavDukeGrad
03-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Brooks, Bacot, Anthony, and Black all have 2 fouls each. Only DeLaurier with 2 for us.

hallcity
03-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Getting the kid violinist off America’s got talent instead of Red Panda at the half. Crowd loves it but I miss Red Panda.

Saratoga2
03-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Why did DeLaurier back off his man on the last play and give an open look at the 3?

rsvman
03-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Why did DeLaurier back off his man on the last play and give an open look at the 3?

It was a long two, and perhaps just there kind of about we want them to continue shooting. We win the game if they keep shooting long twos. I think it is a deliberate part of the game plan.

I think K could've handled the end of the half better, though. Over six seconds, we should've gotten a better look than a 35-foot desperation heave.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2020, 07:09 PM
I want a 30 point win

Steven43
03-07-2020, 07:11 PM
I still want 30 point win.

This guy. 😉

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2020, 07:14 PM
This guy. 😉

Beat the wheels off of them

dukelifer
03-07-2020, 07:19 PM
Beat the wheels off of them

Horrible start to the half

arnie
I want a 30 point win

Ill take a 2 OT win.

jipops
Cheats have way too much for us in the paint.

rsvman
03-07-2020, 07:20 PM
I don't like the way things are going right now at all.

Carey needed to go up strong! What is with three shot fakes?!?

And we need to get some freaking rebounds.

ChrisP
03-07-2020, 07:22 PM

I wondered the same thing. Unc had a weird lineup in and you had to know Black was probably going to be the one to take that last shot. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us. Carolina definitely has seized momentum in 2nd thus far

porkpa
03-07-2020, 07:23 PM
We are allowing them to get far too many offensive rebounds.

heyman25
03-07-2020, 07:23 PM
First criticism. Carey grow up. You just blew a gimme with indecisive shot.Duke finish your layups .

Billy Dat
03-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Big 3s by JRob and Cassius. You know it's a season with odd line-up choices when JRob becomes the guy you want to shoot it as the defense focuses on Tre. Strange days.

They are scoring pretty easy. Roy said they needed to stop settling for jumpers so they are gonna make us stop them at the rim. Can we?

rsvman
03-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Somebody needs to block out Bacot!

BlueandWhite
03-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Carey —take it to the basket strong!! Good news to see Bacot with 4 and on the pine...still, UNC killing us on the glass.

downeastdad
03-07-2020, 07:32 PM
Bakot just makes me giggle, but he is killing us on the boards. Somebody want to box him out?
Oops. Four fouls will help.

jipops
Not getting any stops anymore. Ft’s are huge here

proelitedota
Bakot just makes me giggle, but he is killing us on the boards. Somebody want to box him out?

He has 4 fouls now. We don't have to worry about him for a while.

heyman25
03-07-2020, 07:33 PM
Carey needs to finish those period.Interior needs to block out 100% better.

downeastdad
03-07-2020, 07:34 PM

Yup. Posted too soon.

Billy Dat
03-07-2020, 07:34 PM

Good, now can we try and slow down Brooks?

AtlBluRew
03-07-2020, 07:35 PM
Carey needs to finish those period.Interior needs to block out 100% better.

Carey’s been hesitant.

dukelifer
03-07-2020, 07:35 PM
Good, now can we try and slow down Brooks?

He is unstoppable right now. Not sure how they slow him down

Billy Dat
03-07-2020, 07:37 PM
The game is now being played the way they want it, we need to wrestle it back...

The Jones/Carey high ball screen is helping.

We are also shooting well from the line.

Is Hurt the reason why they are getting wide open looks at the rim?

cbarry
03-07-2020, 07:39 PM
This would be a GREAT time to go some like we did last game.

downeastdad
03-07-2020, 07:40 PM
That's the Vern Carey we know and love.

ballfour
03-07-2020, 07:41 PM
Cole Anthony plays like he's never been coached. I can't believe he's still considered a lottery pick, albeit it's expected to be a weak draft.

AtlBluRew
03-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Cole Anthony plays like he's never been coached. I can't believe he's still considered a lottery pick, albeit it's expected to be a weak draft.

Agreed. I think the Heels would be better without Anthony. He does nothing to make his teammates better.

heyman25
03-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Now Vernon is on fire.

rsvman
03-07-2020, 07:45 PM
No O'Connell, no Baker. Match-ups, or how it's going to be from here on out?

I seem to remember O'Connell in particular helping us at a key moment in the first game.

ChrisP
03-07-2020, 07:46 PM
Let's hope we can maintain a bit of a lead and maybe screen together some stops but it seems like Unc is shooting a high % (and getting offensive boards for easy putbacks when they miss)

Skydog
03-07-2020, 07:47 PM
Anthony should have stopped playing after his first game this season - he looked like surefire 1st pick. All downhill since.

cbarry
03-07-2020, 07:48 PM
No O'Connell, no Baker. Match-ups, or how it's going to be from here on out?

I seem to remember O'Connell in particular helping us at a key moment in the first game.

Probably the new normal. Bench gets shorter as season goes on, even with a deep team this year.

Too bad.

heyman25
03-07-2020, 07:49 PM
Moore makes the worst decisions on a possesion nearly every game.

ChrisP
03-07-2020, 07:49 PM
I do NOT like the ball in Moore's hands at the end of the shot clock

cbarry
03-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Robinson playing HUGE!

Billy Dat
03-07-2020, 07:51 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JRob!

Cassius!!

LET'S GO!!!!!!

ratamero
03-07-2020, 07:51 PM
I want to marry JRob

heyman25
03-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Excellent to be this strong in crunch time.

cbarry
03-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Robinson has more 3s than the whole UNC team right now!

jipops
03-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Couple stops. Couple 3’s. Nice!

rsvman
03-07-2020, 07:53 PM
A couple of big threes!

ballfour
03-07-2020, 07:55 PM
It's funny to hear Jay Bilas (who I like) talk about David Robinson like no one knows who that is.

AtlBluRew
Maybe it’s the old man surfacing in me, but I hate that Facebook kazoo group ad. I just think those kids are rude to the professor.

Billy Dat
Roy with the K style timeout right after they make the 3 to set their D. I don't like this, he's actually game managing.

scottdude8
03-07-2020, 07:56 PM
Is there anything in Duke history that possibly compares to this night from JRob? Heck, anything in NCAA history? This is incredible.

rsvman
That hurt.

ballfour
Is there anything in Duke history that possibly compares to this night from JRob? Heck, anything in NCAA history? This is incredible.

Spike Albrecht, 2013 National Final?

Bomar
03-07-2020, 07:58 PM
Maybe it’s the old man surfacing in me, but I hate that Facebook kazoo group ad. I just think those kids are rude to the professor.

I seethe every time I see that commercial.

scottdude8
03-07-2020, 07:58 PM
Spike Albrecht, 2013 National Final?

You are my favorite person for bringing that up. But even Spike was a recruited scholarship player who played 5-10 mpg all year!

downeastdad
03-07-2020, 08:00 PM
Bilas whining about what a tough night his Heels have had on the offensive board. Yawn.....

ballfour
03-07-2020, 08:02 PM
I love having a point guard who can score but who's first priority is not necessarily scoring.

I love Jones, man.

Billy Dat
03-07-2020, 08:03 PM
We can't downplay what Tre has done in this game. A big part of why Anthony has looked bad is that he's been in his jock all night...plus he's scoring, plus he's assisting and was responsible for the actions that shook Vern loose. He has been incredible.

ChrisP
03-07-2020, 08:03 PM
Man, Nolan's suit is on POINT!

Billy Dat
03-07-2020, 08:04 PM
I love having a point guard who can score but who's first priority is not necessarily scoring.

I love Jones, man.

Indeed.