PDA

View Full Version : Championship Week 2020

pfrduke
03-03-2020, 10:37 AM
Championship Week (which, like most numerical/temporal designations in the ESPN/NCAA universe, only very loosely adheres to its temporal description, clocking in at 13 days long) begins today! The Big South, Atlantic Sun, Horizon, and Patriot conferences/leagues all have their tournaments tip off. Favorites are Winthrop, Liberty, Wright State, and Colgate, respectively - only Liberty is in action today.

Anyway, open thread for non-ACC conference tournament discussion.

scottdude8
03-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Time to root for some crazy upsets to make the committee's life miserable! In general though, upsets in these tournaments tend to mean weaker teams on the low seed lines (14-16), which helps our first round matchup no matter what.

mattman91
03-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Gonna try to catch some SOCON games here in town this weekend.

Go Catamounts!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Gonna try to catch some SOCON games here in town this weekend.

Go Catamounts!

I'll be there Monday night!

mattman91
03-03-2020, 12:02 PM
I'll be there Monday night!

Me too, probably. Meet me on the concourse for a Chub Burger and a Dales Pale Ale :cool:

wsb3
03-03-2020, 12:17 PM
Championship Week (which, like most numerical/temporal designations in the ESPN/NCAA universe, only very loosely adheres to its temporal description, clocking in at 13 days long) begins today! The Big South, Atlantic Sun, Horizon, and Patriot conferences/leagues all have their tournaments tip off. Favorites are Winthrop, Liberty, Wright State, and Colgate, respectively - only Liberty is in action today.

Anyway, open thread for non-ACC conference tournament discussion.

I have grown more fond of the mid major conference tournaments over the years. The only one in most cases to receive a bid is the champion and that makes for some entertaining basketball. I love the excitement the winners show just to be going to the dance. I only hope that our local team UNCW hires a head coach that might get the Seahawks back to the dance.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-03-2020, 12:33 PM
The Yeshiva University basketball team making the D3 tournament made the news here in NY. This is a fun story about the team, featuring a cameo from the Jewish Jordan, Tamir Goodman, who was a big target of Gary Williams at Maryland many years ago.

https://apnews.com/b48f48e23f2fe4b00ad3eaa70b4e8c0f

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2020, 04:06 PM
Me too, probably. Meet me on the concourse for a Chub Burger and a Dales Pale Ale :cool:

I've got the VIP passes... Free beer!

Faustus
03-03-2020, 05:00 PM
I've always loved that week since ESPN started showing these lesser conference tournaments, particularly the eastern ones, mostly small private schools, and rarely do the same ones dominate every year (presumably because the winning coach punches his ticket outta there when he can) so these games mean everything to the teams and the fans, usually in small on-campus arenas too. The quality isn't great (including bottom-tier play-by-play and color), but it doesn't matter as the intensity is terrific. It's almost always guard play that makes the difference - you rarely see the frontcourt players taller than 6 -7 or so, and the P5 conferences have scooped up all the good ones even at that height. The winners know they'll probably get buried in their next game in the NCAAs, but they're just so happy in the celebration. Great stuff.

pfrduke
03-06-2020, 06:37 PM
Northern Iowa got trounced by Drake in the MVC quarterfinals (a conference tournament traditionally dubbed Arch Madness due to its St. Louis venue). They were #36 in NET coming into today, but losing by 21 to a very mediocre team is not the best marketing job for an at-large bid.

pfrduke
03-08-2020, 10:59 PM
Tickets punched through the weekend:

Utah State (Mountain West), Belmont (Ohio Valley), Winthrop (Big South), Liberty (Atlantic Sun), Bradley (Missouri Valley)

Ticket to be punched tomorrow:

Southern - East Tennessee State (#1) vs. Wofford (#7) (that's right - UNC lost at home to the seventh best team in the Southern Conference this season)

Acymetric
03-08-2020, 11:25 PM
After notching their first conference tournament win since 2015 yesterday against #10 JMU, 7 seed Elon knocks of #2 William and Mary tonight to advance to the CAA semifinals where they will take on #6 Northeastern.

First time a 7 seed has advanced in the CAA since 2011 if I'm remembering my trivia from the postgame correctly*. The winner of tomorrow night's game will most likely be facing Hofstra in the final on Tuesday.

The Phoenix are, of course, lead by first year head coach Mike Schrage, long time Director of Basketball Operations at Duke under Mike Krzyzewski and former assistant at Stanford under Johnny Dawkins.

*Edit: I was not remembering correctly. It is the first time a team seeded fifth or higher has pulled an upset in the CAA Tourney since 2011.

FUBARDoorBuster
03-09-2020, 01:01 AM
After notching their first conference tournament win since 2015 yesterday against #10 JMU, 7 seed Elon knocks of #2 William and Mary tonight to advance to the CAA semifinals where they will take on #6 Northeastern.

First time a 7 seed has advanced in the CAA since 2011 if I'm remembering my trivia from the postgame correctly*. The winner of tomorrow night's game will most likely be facing Hofstra in the final on Tuesday.

The Phoenix are, of course, lead by first year head coach Mike Schrage, long time Director of Basketball Operations at Duke under Mike Krzyzewski and former assistant at Stanford under Johnny Dawkins.

*Edit: I was not remembering correctly. It is the first time a team seeded fifth or higher has pulled an upset in the CAA Tourney since 2011.

Enough said. Go Phoenix!!!

left_hook_lacey
03-09-2020, 01:01 PM
Looks like Kentucky might be down a player for part or all of the SEC tournament. Ashtan Hagans didn't play in Florida's upset win over Kentucky, and has taken leave for "personal reasons".

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28857480/kentucky-ashton-hagans-personal-reasons

Natty_B
03-09-2020, 03:31 PM

Utah State (Mountain West), Belmont (Ohio Valley), Winthrop (Big South), Liberty (Atlantic Sun), Bradley (Missouri Valley)

Ticket to be punched tomorrow:

Southern - East Tennessee State (#1) vs. Wofford (#7) (that's right - UNC lost at home to the seventh best team in the Southern Conference this season)

Out of these teams Duke played and beat Winthrop in a sluggish affair the game after the SFA nightmare. Duke also beat Wofford.

Other notables from the schedule:

Northwest Missouri St. went 31-1 and opens the DII tournament as a 1 seed.
Colorado St. went 20-12 and was upset by Wyoming in the MWC tourney. They're likely considering a CBI or CIT invite.
Georgia State is a 4 seed in the Sun Belt tournament.
Stephen F. Austin went 28-3 and is the 1 seed in the Southland tournament.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2020, 05:55 PM
Stoked for Wofford and ETSU!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2020, 07:59 PM
ETSU is great. Wofford hanging in. Oscar Blues support is appreciated!

devildeac
03-09-2020, 08:49 PM
ETSU is great. Wofford hanging in. Oscar Blues support is appreciated!

Who is Oscar?

:rolleyes:

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-09-2020, 10:57 PM
That floor in Las Vegas for the WCC tourney is one awful eyesore. Wow.

gofurman
03-09-2020, 11:42 PM

Southern - East Tennessee State (good team. NET top 43

Natty_B
03-10-2020, 11:31 AM
One less Tournament. Ivy League cancels:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1237397591626846211

arnie
03-10-2020, 12:03 PM
One less Tournament. Ivy League cancels:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1237397591626846211

Will Yale decline the invitation to play in NCAA tourney?

PDDuke85
03-10-2020, 12:38 PM
With what’s transpired in the Ivy League, it’s just a matter of time before UNC cancels all classes

-jk
03-10-2020, 01:07 PM
With what’s transpired in the Ivy League, it’s just a matter of time before UNC cancels all classes

How can we tell?

-jk

Indoor66
03-10-2020, 01:44 PM
How can we tell?

-jk

No one would notice.

bundabergdevil
03-10-2020, 06:52 PM

How can we tell?

-jk

No one would notice.

Y'all should take your act on the road!

PDDuke85
03-10-2020, 08:00 PM
Y'all should take your act on the road!

Mrs PDDuke85 has made that suggestion once or twice

duke2x
03-10-2020, 10:09 PM
Southern - East Tennessee State (good team. NET top 43

Don't be surprised to see them in Greensboro. I believe they will try to minimize travel exposure for all schools, particularly ones that might travel commercial instead of charter. I can see ETSU, Liberty, Belmont, Duke, and MD all in Greensboro for that reason, and I can see OSU and Auburn with 6-8 hour drives as well. You can make a reasonable argument for a Duke/OSU/ETSU/Belmont pod without too much trouble.

gofurman
03-10-2020, 10:21 PM
Tickets punched -

Utah State (Mountain West)
Belmont (Ohio Valley)
Winthrop (Big South)
Liberty (Atlantic Sun)
Bradley (Missouri Valley)
Southern - East Tennessee State
Yale - no conference tourney ... assume they will play in ncaa?
Robert Morris (NEC)
Northern Kentucky (Horizon)
Hofstra (CAA)

sagegrouse
03-10-2020, 10:48 PM
Tickets punched -

Belmont (Ohio Valley)
Winthrop (Big South)
Liberty (Atlantic Sun)
Yale - no conference tourney ... assume they will play in ncaa?
Robert Morris (NEC)
Hofstra (CAA)

Yale -- announced as representative to NCAAS.

gofurman
03-10-2020, 10:54 PM
-

Belmont (Ohio Valley)
Winthrop (Big South)
Liberty (Atlantic Sun)
Yale - ivy
Robert Morris (NEC)
Hofstra (CAA)
NDSU - (Summit)

brevity
03-10-2020, 11:06 PM
America East semifinal: Vermont 81, UMBC 74 (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401211108) (Tony Bennett relaxes a little.)

Northeast final: Robert Morris 77, St. Francis 67 (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401210963) (John Calipari clenches a little.)