PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Wake Forest (Tue, 2/25, 7:00 pm, ACCN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DavidBenAkiva
02-23-2020, 05:51 PM
Here's what I wrote last time about Wake Forest.

One of these years, Danny Manning is going to get on the hot seat for his lackluster performance. I think it might be next year. Or maybe it will be the year after that? He has a guaranteed contract through the 2025 season and a monster buyout. It'll take a lot of losing for Wake Forest to bite the bullet and terminate the coach. At just 8-6 overall and 1-3 in conference, Manning is doing his part to make the decision for the AD.

Despite returning many top scorers from last year's team, the Demon Deacons are just so-so. Duke fans should recognize several names on the roster. Leading the charge is 6'0" SR PG Brandon Childress. The dynamic PG is not shooting the ball as well from distance (30%) this season as in years past, but is taking and making more shots from inside the arc and is averaging a career best 16 points per game to go along with 4.6 assists. Joining Childress in the backcourt is 6'5" JR G Chaundee Brown. Brown is progressing as a high quality scoring complement to Childress and is one of the better rebounding guards in the country, pulling in 6.5 boards per game. Childress and Brown are joined in the backcourt by a pair of 6'3" seniors, including starter Andrien White and reserve Torry Johnson. White, a transfer from Charlotte, is the better shooter of the pair while Johnson, in his second year at Wake after a transfer from Northern Arizona, is more of a slasher. Both see about 23 minutes per game, so expect to see them on the court. Freshman Jahcobi Neath (6'3") provides a couple of backup PG minutes to Childress.

Up front, The Demon Deacons are anchored by 7'0" JR C Olivier Sarr, from Toulouse, France. Perhaps Sarr is the reason for Danny Manning's struggles in Winston-Salem as Sarr was born Toulouse. Dad jokes aside, Sarr is a good if not great big man. He has doubled his production from his sophomore year, averaging more than 12 points and 9 rebounds per game in about 25 minutes per game. And he is doing that off the bench this season. In place of Sarr, Manning starts the game with a pair of young forwards, 6'8" SO Isaiah Mucius and 6'9" FR Ody Oguama. Neither Mucius or Oguama have much more than 205 pounds on their thin frames. Another thin forward, 6'8" FR Ismael Massoud from East Harlem, NY, rounds out the frontcourt options. Massoud might be the best shooter on the team. One wonders how the team will contain Vernon Carey, Jr. when they are starting players that more physically resemble wings and small forwards up front. Sarr might have to check in right away and avoid foul trouble throughout the night.

Overall, Wake Forest is a fairly mediocre team. They do not foul much at all and are a good defensive rebounding team. They appear averse to forcing turnovers and, outside of Sarr, do not have much size to throw at Duke. They are reasonably experienced in the backcourt and have a couple of dynamic playmakers in Childress and Brown. On paper, this will be the easiest game Duke has to play the rest of the season. After almost getting stung in Atlanta, look for Duke to exorcise some demons at home on Saturday night.

Since the first Duke game, a 90-59 victory for the Blue Devils, Danny Manning's Demon Deacons have floundered. They have home wins over BC, Clemson, and UNC but sit at 4-12 in conference play overall. They did give Louisville and Virginia a stiff test, however. Duke cannot afford to show up flat on the road. Letting Wake think they can play with Duke would be a bad idea. Simply put, this is a game where Duke needs to come out and assert itself early.

Tripping William
02-23-2020, 06:05 PM
Here's what I wrote last time about Wake Forest.

Since the first Duke game, a 90-59 victory for the Blue Devils, Danny Manning's Demon Deacons have floundered. They have home wins over BC, Clemson, and UNC but sit at 4-12 in conference play overall. They did give Louisville and Virginia a stiff test, however. Duke cannot afford to show up flat on the road. Letting Wake think they can play with Duke would be a bad idea. Simply put, this is a game where Duke needs to come out and assert itself early.

Don’t hold me to this, but I think Wake is finally healthy. Duke has tended to struggle in Switzerland, but generally finds a win to come out of the Joel with a W. Should be a good-sized Duke contingent in the stands.

UrinalCake
02-23-2020, 11:34 PM
It’s either going to be a 30 point blowout or a catastrophic loss. There seems to be no in between 😀

budwom
02-24-2020, 08:10 AM
Don’t hold me to this, but I think Wake is finally healthy. Duke has tended to struggle in Switzerland, but generally finds a win to come out of the Joel with a W. Should be a good-sized Duke contingent in the stands.

Switzerland? A true neutral site?

dukelifer
02-24-2020, 08:23 AM
It’s either going to be a 30 point blowout or a catastrophic loss. There seems to be no in between 😀

I am happy with an 8 point win which is what I expect.

Tripping William
02-24-2020, 08:32 AM
Switzerland? A true neutral site?

Basically. Generally peaceful & quiet. Everyone's second-favorite team/country (after their own). No one hates Switzerland . . . . or Wake. :o

budwom
02-24-2020, 08:37 AM
Basically. Generally peaceful & quiet. Everyone's second-favorite team/country (after their own). No one hates Switzerland . . . . or Wake. :o

I hate the tie dyed shirts, does that count?

Tripping William
02-24-2020, 08:38 AM

Maybe. But there will only be a dozen of those in the arena, so . . . .

jv001
02-24-2020, 09:07 AM
Maybe. But there will only be a dozen of those in the arena, so . . . .

I hear Wake has University students going door to door giving tickets away for the Tuesday night game. So far only 20 people took the free tickets. :cool::cool:

GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
02-24-2020, 09:14 AM
No one hates Switzerland . . . .

As long as there are no descendants of the House of Habsburg posting on DBR, of course. The scars of the Battle of Morgarten run deep, and don't even start them on the Battle of Sempach.

devildeac
02-24-2020, 09:26 AM

How about the Deacon-cycle?

Tripping William
02-24-2020, 09:36 AM
As long as there are no descendants of the House of Habsburg posting on DBR, of course. The scars of the Battle of Morgarten run deep, and don't even start them on the Battle of Sempach.

I thought Woodrow Wilson fixed all of that. :p

OldPhiKap
02-24-2020, 09:38 AM
I thought Woodrow Wilson fixed all of that. :p

"You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Tripping William again."

HereBeforeCoachK
02-24-2020, 09:40 AM
How about the Deacon-cycle?

Apparently even they are tiring of that now...

budwom
02-24-2020, 10:47 AM
their once very active board is now dead as a doornail, the only threads being will he be fired and when will he be fired. Nonetheless, we could still lose tonight...

sagegrouse
02-24-2020, 10:52 AM
their once very active board is now dead as a doornail, the only threads being will he be fired and when will he be fired. Nonetheless, we could still lose tonight...

I worry about everyone we play. In fact, I even thought we could lose to S.F. Austin -- at home. So ridiculous -- I really gotta get a grip.

Tripping William
02-24-2020, 10:54 AM

I have absolutely, positively ZERO worry about us losing to Wake Forest tonight. Tomorrow night, though, is a different kettle of fish . . . . . .

SavDukeGrad
02-24-2020, 11:00 AM

The tie dyed shirts that the Screamin Deamons wore were a Skip Prosser thing when my daughter was an undergrad there. Dino may have continued the tie dyed shirts, I can’t remember. The few you see these days are a blast from the past (although they may still be available for sale in the bookstore).

As far as I know, the motorcycle is still around. :rolleyes:

budwom
02-24-2020, 11:01 AM
I have absolutely, positively ZERO worry about us losing to Wake Forest tonight. Tomorrow night, though, is a different kettle of fish . . . . . .

d'Oh!

killerleft
02-24-2020, 11:19 AM
killerleft will be in the Jo-el tomorrow night, courtesy of a very nice friend. I hope a few of you clear the way for us from Greensboro on I-40. Leaving five-ish, it's a tough drive. Would Cherry St. be as bad an idea as I think it would? At least we'd miss 52.

devildeac
02-24-2020, 11:22 AM

Glad you're not fiddling around...

devildeac
02-24-2020, 11:24 AM
killerleft will be in the Jo-el tomorrow night, courtesy of a very nice friend. I hope a few of you clear the way for us from Greensboro on I-40. Leaving five-ish, it's a tough drive. Would Cherry St. be as bad an idea as I think it would? At least we'd miss 52.

What about that new outer beltline for Greensboro and W-S? ;):rolleyes:

Music man55
02-24-2020, 11:26 AM
If we go there tomorrow night and come out flat and let the Deacs play with confidence, then I'll feel that nothing has been gained. However, after the beat down at Raleigh and the win sat.nite, I think we will take care of business. It'll probably be a tough fought game until the last 10 minutes, but then we pull away for the win. That's my take anyway.

Tripping William
02-24-2020, 11:34 AM

Given where I'm coming from, and the typical lot for which I usually have a parking pass, I regularly come up Cherry St./University Parkway. It is often slow, but not complete gridlock. And now that Business 40 (errrrr, "Salem Parkway") is back open, Cherry Street should be fairly easy to reach.

I have never come to the Joel from US 52 onto Akron Street, but I do know there is a great beer-swapping location near there . . . . :o

Truth&Justise
02-24-2020, 11:39 AM
Duke cannot afford to show up flat on the road. Letting Wake think they can play with Duke would be a bad idea. Simply put, this is a game where Duke needs to come out and assert itself early.

This is the last game of the season that could be considered a "trap" game. The remaining games on the schedule are:

-At Virginia, reigning NCAA champion. Prime time Saturday audience.
-Rematch against N.C. State
-Senior night against UNC
-ACC Tournament
-NCAA Tournament

I'm not worried about Duke showing up for those. So all that remains is showing up, right from the start, for this one. For as bad as Wake has been, they have guards who can get hot from 3 and one talented big in the middle. That's enough if we let them stick around.

devildeac
02-24-2020, 11:54 AM
Given where I'm coming from, and the typical lot for which I usually have a parking pass, I regularly come up Cherry St./University Parkway. It is often slow, but not complete gridlock. And now that Business 40 (errrrr, "Salem Parkway") is back open, Cherry Street should be fairly easy to reach.

I have never come to the Joel from US 52 onto Akron Street, but I do know there is a great beer-swapping location near there . . . . :o

Safe. Not crowded. Easy access to US 52. What's not to like? ;)

UrinalCake
02-24-2020, 12:30 PM
This is the last game of the season that could be considered a "trap" game.

I would argue that the first game of the ACCT could be a trap game, or at least a “looking ahead” game. If we win out between now and then, we’re potentially the top seed, we’ve finished the season by planting the final nail in the coffin of UNC’s season on senior day, then we get five days off while everybody talks about how great we are... it wouldn’t be shocking for the players to look past that first game as they start dreaming of winning the next day and beyond. I remember last season Zion came back in the first day of the ACCT and was literally perfect from the field, yet we struggled against Syracuse in a one or two possession game right down to the wire. Different circumstances, but still a scenario where players will need to stay focused. Really burned us in 2013 when we lost a #1 seed by dropping our opening game in the ACCT to Maryland.

killerleft
02-24-2020, 04:16 PM
What about that new outer beltline for Greensboro and W-S? ;):rolleyes:

It's in the works, just in time for the new Major League baseball team!:D

killerleft
02-24-2020, 04:33 PM

If we only had time... I guess they'll have beer at the game. Foothills?

Tripping William
02-24-2020, 04:36 PM
If we only had time... I guess they'll have beer at the game. Foothills?

Probably. Likely Hoppyum and Torch Pilsner. Maybe the Thousand Smiles golden ale.

jv001
02-24-2020, 04:41 PM

Around 4:30-5:30 US 52 north can be really slow moving, especially from Bus 40-Hwy 52 interchange. I know because that's how I go to church on Wednesday evenings. I think Cherry Street-University Parkway is the best bet. Bring home a win for the Devils.

GoDuke!

hustleplays
02-24-2020, 04:44 PM
If we go there tomorrow night and come out flat and let the Deacs play with confidence, then I'll feel that nothing has been gained. However, after the beat down at Raleigh and the win sat.nite, I think we will take care of business. It'll probably be a tough fought game until the last 10 minutes, but then we pull away for the win. That's my take anyway.

Given the thorough motivational lesson they were put through after NCSU, I'm betting that they come out strong and focused.

budwom
02-24-2020, 04:48 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm of the persuasion that "being flat" has been somewhat overblown...State and some other teams have had game plans which cause us trouble, it's not all about our motivation level.

UT Dukie
02-24-2020, 04:57 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm of the persuasion that "being flat" has been somewhat overblown...State and some other teams have had game plans which cause us trouble, it's not all about our motivation level.

I agree with you here, budwom. It's clear NCSU had a game plan. I'm perplexed FSU wasn't able to find that same game plan; however, it takes the right kind of guard/big combo perhaps.

On a related note, I believe coming out the aggressor forces the refs to decide if they want to take over the game or not.

jv001
02-24-2020, 04:59 PM

You could very well be correct in that it was the game plan that caused us trouble, but if that's the case we could be in trouble coming into this part of the season. I hope the reason was what Coach K alluded to(the team didn't compete). That's correctable but if we can't defend the PNR we are in trouble. I'm hoping if we have that problem again, Coach K uses some zone even if it means giving up some threes.

GoDuke!

budwom
02-24-2020, 05:09 PM
You could very well be correct in that it was the game plan that caused us trouble, but if that's the case we could be in trouble coming into this part of the season. I hope the reason was what Coach K alluded to(the team didn't compete). That's correctable but if we can't defend the PNR we are in trouble. I'm hoping if we have that problem again, Coach K uses some zone even if it means giving up some threes.

GoDuke!

yeah, I kept waiting for the zone that never came.

I also noticed State did a good job of defending our shooters, while VT gave a lot more open looks while they surrounded Carey...

Stray Gator
02-24-2020, 06:01 PM

GoDuke!

The game plan employed and well executed by N.C. State was certainly a significant factor in causing the loss, but no less damaging to Duke in that game were the unforced turnovers and missed free throws -- critical errors for which N.C State cannot be credited (or blamed). In particular, there was one stretch near the end of the first half when it appeared that State might be losing its composure and leaving the door open for Duke to close the gap before halftime, which could have dramatically changed the momentum of the game. But coming out of the last timeout trailing by only 9, Duke missed a free throw, then proceeded to commit three turnovers in the next three possessions -- over a 32-second span in which State failed to score -- thereby squandering a great opportunity to narrow the margin and instead allowing the Wolfpack to widen the lead to 15 going into the break.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-24-2020, 06:24 PM

SEE quote about X BOX....human nature, from K.

I agree with you here, budwom. It's clear NCSU had a game plan. I'm perplexed FSU wasn't able to find that same game plan; however, it takes the right kind of guard/big combo perhaps.

On a related note, I believe coming out the aggressor forces the refs to decide if they want to take over the game or not.

FSU couldn't find that same game plan because it was not the same Duke team. (though I think you're right about being the aggressor and forcing the refs).

MarkD83
02-25-2020, 07:04 AM
Back to the top and I think we are playing wake but maybe NCSU and FSU combined their rosters. I can’t tell from this thread. 😊

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-25-2020, 07:26 AM
Not to mention the Zombie Nation crap they can’t seem to let go of.

jv001
02-25-2020, 07:53 AM
This morning Vegas odds makers have Duke 11 to 11.5 favorites and the OU at 149. Something like 82-67 for the good guys. I'm hoping that the butt whipping Duke laid on them in Cameron is not on the minds of our guys. Chauncey Brown didn't play in that game and the game is in Joel. Those two things make it a lot tougher this time around. This team has come out and let the home team hang around too long for my old heart. If we can stop that trend of coming out slow when we're on the road, I think this team can do some special things.

GoDuke

Natty_B
02-25-2020, 12:00 PM
Tidbit from The Athletic: The last time the Blue Devils won a road game by double digits was on Jan. 4 at Miami.

AZLA
02-25-2020, 12:25 PM
This morning Vegas odds makers have Duke 11 to 11.5 favorites and the OU at 149. Something like 82-67 for the good guys. I'm hoping that the butt whipping Duke laid on them in Cameron is not on the minds of our guys. Chauncey Brown didn't play in that game and the game is in Joel. Those two things make it a lot tougher this time around. This team has come out and let the home team hang around too long for my old heart. If we can stop that trend of coming out slow when we're on the road, I think this team can do some special things.

GoDuke

Good points. Duke seemed tight from the get-go at NC State, which yes is a better team, but I was surprised how little the team talked to each other and how disengaged Coach K seemed. Probably a Jedi tactic, but hopefully there were lessons learned. Yes the ACC on the road is always tough but Duke needs to notch a dominate road win now. That being said, I'm not sure I'd take that line bet.

Kedsy
02-25-2020, 12:41 PM
Tidbit from The Athletic: The last time the Blue Devils won a road game by double digits was on Jan. 4 at Miami.

In the whole league, there have only been 18 double-digit road game wins in the ACC this season (Duke has two of them, vs. VaTech and Miami). Only 10 of those were after January 4. Of the 18, only two of those were against the top half of the league (Louisville won @NCSU by 20 on February 2; UNC won @NCSU by 10 on January 27).

Since January 4, Duke has played four road games against the bottom half of the league. Three of them, Duke won by 9 (GaTech), 8 (BC), and 9 points (Syracuse), which are all pretty close to double digits. Overall, Duke has the ACC's best road record, by 1.5 games (Duke is 7-2 on the road; next are Louisville and FSU, each at 6-4).

In light of the above, I deem the Athletic's tidbit to be at best trivia and at worst clickbait.

Jaks19
02-25-2020, 01:29 PM
This will not be am easy game for Duke. I think Childress will have a better game for Wake and one of Matthew, Joey or Alex will need to have a good game/games for Duke to get out of there with a W

robed deity
02-25-2020, 02:19 PM
Happy bday big Vernon! (Born on this day in 2001, 2 days before the "it's over" Maryland game....annnd now I feel old.)

Hope you have a big game to celebrate it!

Saratoga2
02-25-2020, 03:41 PM
This will not be am easy game for Duke. I think Childress will have a better game for Wake and one of Matthew, Joey or Alex will need to have a good game/games for Duke to get out of there with a W

Alex status has risen recently. I expect he will be the second non center sub. Maybe he is finally gaining confidence to go along with his athleticism and experience.

jv001
02-25-2020, 04:33 PM
Alex status has risen recently. I expect he will be the second non center sub. Maybe he is finally gaining confidence to go along with his athleticism and experience.

I started to post that I agree with your take on Alex, but I'm not going to jinx him. If he plays bad tonight, it's on you Saratoga. :cool: I've got the anti-jinx going on Javin so I expect him to play a good game.

GoDuke!

wavedukefan70s
02-25-2020, 05:21 PM
Acc network biting me again.i refuse to pay.
I m giving us 12 point margin of victory.

chrishoke
02-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Fast start!!!

gofurman
02-25-2020, 05:43 PM
Anyone that watched us play State knows we can lose... play hard and start faster. No one in ACC is above losing

SavDukeGrad
02-25-2020, 06:11 PM
I will be interested to hear how many Duke fans are there, from those at the game.

I went last year, and I would say it was 30-40% Duke. Towards the end of the game, it was about 90%! :D

Go Duke!

-jk
02-25-2020, 06:25 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=ccarc) to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Indoor66
02-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Too much standing around.

rsvman
02-25-2020, 07:09 PM
A lot of missed shots close to the basket already.

arnie
02-25-2020, 07:18 PM
What are they possibly reviewing?

downeastdad
02-25-2020, 07:21 PM
I'm afraid I've seen this movie before.

AtlBluRew
02-25-2020, 07:23 PM
Acc network biting me again.i refuse to pay.
I m giving us 12 point margin of victory.

Same here. I refuse to pay!

downeastdad
02-25-2020, 07:30 PM
How are the personal fouls 7-2 in this game?

MarkD83
02-25-2020, 07:35 PM
I'm afraid I've seen this movie before.

I have too and it’s a bad movie

bluedev_92
02-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Lackluster so far...

mr. synellinden
02-25-2020, 07:37 PM
I rarely say this but a lot of home cooking in this one to my eye on TV. We need to stay composed through that and avoid the temptation to blame the zebras.

arnie
02-25-2020, 07:38 PM
Actually looking worse than in the State game. Dumb fouls, bad shots, poor shooting on good looks, not connected to each other and overall very flat. This is not a good Wake team, but we’re giving them hope.

bluedev_92
02-25-2020, 07:38 PM
Yeah, Manning seemingly thinks there should be zero fouls on Wake.

SCMatt33
02-25-2020, 07:39 PM
How are the personal fouls 7-2 in this game?

One, I don’t complain about refs often, but some of these are not being called equal. I can get the calls on Duke, and I can get the non calls on wake, but not both in the same game. Wakes getting tight officiating on offense and loose officiating on defense.

That said, Duke isn’t being nearly aggressive enough to earn the calls either. Duke is shying a way from contact and settling for a bunch of floaters and jumpers. The aggressive team is going to beget more calls, regardless of the refs

Saratoga2
02-25-2020, 07:39 PM
They can't hit a shot to save themselves and Stanley, who hasn't played well now has 3 fouls. Time to right the ship but it certainly looks bad at this stage.

Music man55
02-25-2020, 07:40 PM
Exactly what I was afraid of. No shooting, no movement, dumb fouls. I guess the State game didn't sink in. Maybe the 2nd half will be better. I really don't know what to expect anymore.

SavDukeGrad
02-25-2020, 07:40 PM
We are playing right into their strengths, cheap fouls and sending them to the line. We need to play smarter.

mr. synellinden
02-25-2020, 07:41 PM
Yikes. Turnovers like that are a sign of lack of focus. Something is off.

bluenorth
02-25-2020, 07:42 PM
Is this game being played in Raleigh? Sloppy and low on energy again.

rsvman
02-25-2020, 07:43 PM
Looking terrible!

SavDukeGrad
02-25-2020, 07:43 PM
One, I don’t complain about refs often, but some of these are not being called equal. I can get the calls on Duke, and I can get the non calls on wake, but not both in the same game. Wakes getting tight officiating on offense and loose officiating on defense.

That said, Duke isn’t being nearly aggressive enough to earn the calls either. Duke is shying a way from contact and settling for a bunch of floaters and jumpers. The aggressive team is going to beget more calls, regardless of the refs

Totally agree. Carey was completely clobbered on that one possession. No call.

DUKIE V(A)
02-25-2020, 07:44 PM
JROB!!!!!

SCMatt33
02-25-2020, 07:45 PM
Is this game being played in Raleigh? Sloppy and low on energy again.

I don’t care about the mistakes. I don’t care about sloppy play. But to come out with such low energy in the very next road game after last week is so disheartening. The biggest place you see it is in stoppages. When there’s a turnover or a foul or something, there’s no player clapping or trying to pump up his teammates. They’ve all just standing around waiting to go through the motions of the next play

DUKIE V(A)
02-25-2020, 07:50 PM
I don’t care about the mistakes. I don’t care about sloppy play. But to come out with such low energy in the very next road game after last week is so disheartening. The biggest place you see it is in stoppages. When there’s a turnover or a foul or something, there’s no player clapping or trying to pump up his teammates. They’ve all just standing around waiting to go through the motions of the next play

The low energy also shows on lazy D and lots of horrific fouls. Need to stop giving them free points at the line. Love JROB’S energy. Making a huge difference on defense.

rsvman
02-25-2020, 07:51 PM
Looking a bit better. Can't believe Jamie made a late foul call on Goldwire on the last steal.

bluenorth
02-25-2020, 07:52 PM
Robinson brings a bit more height to the lineup than White (while Carey and DeLaurier have unwelcome rests) but is White in K's doghouse lately?

DUKIE V(A)
02-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Great finish to the half!

scottdude8
02-25-2020, 07:56 PM
New 20 minute game. Throw everything out from that last 20 except JRob

SavDukeGrad
02-25-2020, 07:57 PM
If you had JRob coming in in the 1st half and providing a spark, raise your hand.

bluenorth
02-25-2020, 07:58 PM
Great finish to the half!

Yeah , to be tied after playing like that is a bonus. Keep JRob in the game!

fuse
02-25-2020, 07:59 PM
JRob!!!!!!

Let’s Go Duke!!

DangerDevil
02-25-2020, 07:59 PM
If you had JRob coming in in the 1st half and providing a spark, raise your hand.

Similar question if before the season started you thought Justin and Jordan would be on the court together during the 1st half of an ACC game.

It’s working!

CameronDuke
02-25-2020, 08:00 PM
Wake 15-19 from the line that half and Duke 7-7.

Even up the fouls some and I think Duke could still cover the -10.5 line in this one.

Justin Robinson gave Duke a lift off the bench that half. The two sequences where he stole the ball near half court off a deflection and laid it in along with the block then running the floor to throw down the alley oop from Moore were beautiful basketball.

I think if Duke cuts down in the fouls and turnovers next half and keeps making free throws, they’ll still have a shot at winning comfortably.

BigDuke6

I think it comes from the lack of Jack White in the game.

SavDukeGrad
Great finish to the half, despite playing so poorly for most of it.

Hopefully we have taken their best shot, and can come out strong in the 2nd and keep the momentum going.

SCMatt33
This is a miracle that Duke gets a do over in the second half. The energy level just has to be different. Duke his some shots and got some transition buckets to even this up, but you want to see some better ball movement and half court offense next half. With Carey or Javin on the floor, they got stuck too often with four guys standing around the perimeter while the big guy posted up. It’s hard to work easy buckets that way, especially the way Wake is denying the entry pass and very little work being done to get rebounding position when the big guys are trying to post up

Music man55
02-25-2020, 08:02 PM
JRob really giving them a lift. Looking better the last six minutes of half. Moving the ball better. Now, let's go out and win the 2nd half and get the hell out of there!

Saratoga2

Playing better than DeLaurier, which isn't difficult. Getting contributions from Alex as well.

Stop the sloppy turnovers and put guys in who don't foul as much and see what happens.

MChambers

Doesn’t this belong in the Justin Robinson Appreciation Thread? 😉

scottdude8
02-25-2020, 08:03 PM
I think it comes from the lack of Jack White in the game.

Somethings off on that front. In a game like this with all that foul trouble for him to not get much of a chance on the court is just odd. I have to imagine he’s not 100%.

ncexnyc
02-25-2020, 08:04 PM
Extremely pleased with the way we closed the half, but honestly at this point of the season there is no excuse for such a sluggish start. You'd think they would have learned their lesson after the horrible outing at State last week.

scottdude8
02-25-2020, 08:09 PM
JRob is trending on Twitter. That’s all.

InSpades
02-25-2020, 08:17 PM
If JRob dunked that... love to see him contributing.

Phredd3
02-25-2020, 08:23 PM
I think the Jones/Goldwire duo is overused in a game like this. They are not stopping the drives, and between them it's an offensive liability. Would like to see more either-or, rather than both.

bluenorth
02-25-2020, 08:30 PM
Doing a great job on Childress. He'll score eventually but right now it looks as if Jones is in his head.

BigDuke6
02-25-2020, 08:30 PM
I think the Jones/Goldwire duo is overused in a game like this. They are not stopping the drives, and between them it's an offensive liability. Would like to see more either-or, rather than both.

I see it the other way. The combination has shut down Childress. Make the other players beat us. The we’re doing exactly that in the first half.

Phredd3
02-25-2020, 08:32 PM
I see it the other way. The combination has shut down Childress. Make the other players beat us. The we’re doing exactly that in the first half.

I have to say, the defense in the early part of the second half has been superb. You know, it is possible that a coach with 40 years' experience knows a hair more than I do. He certainly has more hair than I do. (This obligatory reference brought to you by Jay Bilas, who is currently not otherwise associated with his game, but wants to be.)

BigDuke6
02-25-2020, 08:37 PM
I have to say, the defense in the early part of the second half has been superb. You know, it is possible that a coach with 40 years' experience knows a hair more than I do. He certainly has more hair than I do. (This obligatory reference brought to you by Jay Bilas, who is currently not otherwise associated with his game, but wants to be.)

Yeah, I didn’t mean any criticism. I do agree that they were standing around waiting for something to happen at the beginning of the game.

arnie
02-25-2020, 08:38 PM
Playing better than DeLaurier, which isn't difficult. Getting contributions from Alex as well.

Stop the sloppy turnovers and put guys in who don't foul as much and see what happens.

Can J-Rob be the difference? Certainly a big deal tonite when needed.

g4orce
02-25-2020, 08:38 PM
Something has to be amiss with White. @ UNC he played 12 minutes. Since then:
FSU 3 min
ND 9 min
STATE 4 min
VT 3 min
Wake - has not played yet [@11min mark)

Phredd3
02-25-2020, 08:43 PM
Carey with foul number four, after getting hammered on the offensive end, and now DeLaurier picks up his fourth, too. This could get interesting.

rsvman
02-25-2020, 08:44 PM
That was a walk by Childress. Two walks in a row for wake, both called fouls.

devildeac
02-25-2020, 08:47 PM
Carey with foul number four, after getting hammered on the offensive end, and now DeLaurier picks up his fourth, too. This could get interesting.

edict from the acc orifice...

rocketeli
Energy socks! How I've missed you!

Ballboy1998
Jamie Luckie is so bad at his job and he’s too out of shape to even make it end to end.

CameronDuke
02-25-2020, 08:53 PM
Now a tip out from Robinson to Tre for a second chance basket in a 5 point game to extend the lead to 7. Robinson is making winning basketball plays tonight.

devildeac
02-25-2020, 08:56 PM
really getting hosed now with 6 straight fouls on us and wake with no fouls in about 6 minutes

rsvman
02-25-2020, 08:58 PM
This is really getting ridiculous.

Too bad we couldn't get a rebound on a missed free throw!

CameronDuke
Wake 21-30 from the line tonight and Duke 14-16.

devildeac
8 straight fouls on Duke

FT now 30-16 wake

CameronDuke
02-25-2020, 08:59 PM
Duke whistled for 23 fouls thus far and Wake 15.

SCMatt33
02-25-2020, 08:59 PM
really getting hosed now with 6 straight fouls on us and wake with no fouls in about 6 minutes

I thought the fouls have been more even in this half. Duke has just not put the ball into Wake’s bodies in the pain the same way they’ve done to us. We’ve taken floaters and short jumpers. Aren’t gonna get foul calls on those. Moore has been the only one to consistently force contact. They’ve been pretty consistent on calling just about any contact in the paint.

Kjeffrey
02-25-2020, 09:00 PM
Duke whistled for 23 fouls thus far and Wake 15.

Maybe they're just better defenders. :)

rsvman
02-25-2020, 09:00 PM
I thought the fouls have been more even in this half. Duke has just not put the ball into Wake’s bodies in the pain the same way they’ve done to us. We’ve taken floaters and short jumpers. Aren’t gonna get foul calls on those. Moore has been the only one to consistently force contact. They’ve been pretty consistent on calling just about any contact in the paint.

Not to mention non-contact in the paint, like when their players fall down for no reason and they whistle a foul.

devildeac
02-25-2020, 09:01 PM

And Vern gets assaultedw/no call and wake trips over their own feet and it's our foul.

Phredd3
02-25-2020, 09:02 PM
Not to mention non-contact in the paint, like when their players fall down for no reason and they whistle a foul.

That fifth on Carey was really weak. Vernon has taken a lot more contact than that when the ball has been in his hands.

CameronDuke
02-25-2020, 09:04 PM
What a play by Hurt for the and 1. Contorted his body amazingly!

rsvman
02-25-2020, 09:06 PM
Hurt coming up huge in the last bit here.

devildeac
02-25-2020, 09:06 PM
What a play by Hurt for the and 1. Contorted his body amazingly!

Amazing he didn't get called for a foul. :rolleyes::mad:

Dukehk
02-25-2020, 09:08 PM
Moore has got to work on taking care of the ball better. Still a turnover machine at times.

bluedev_92
02-25-2020, 09:09 PM
Why does Tre Pick up his dribble in the back court?

rsvman
02-25-2020, 09:11 PM
This is crazy. Need to put this away!

jipops
02-25-2020, 09:12 PM
Wow. Just completely blew this game

arnie
02-25-2020, 09:13 PM
Wow. Just completely blew this game

Basically Goldwire.

rsvman
Wasn't Goldwire fouled?

Dukehk
Incredible..

We just threw away any chance of a #1 seed.

Haven't seen a collapse like this in a while. We really are very very poor on the road.

DUKIE V(A)
Total flop on the Goldwire foul took away a Tre layup.

Phredd3
02-25-2020, 09:14 PM
The refs seemed pretty determined to decide the game. They haven't managed it yet. Of course, we seemed pretty determined to give it away, too.

devildeac
Wasn't Goldwire fouled?

Not by acc standards. Effing unbelievable.

ncexnyc
Epic choke job. Almost as bad as the Cheats.

InSpades
02-25-2020, 09:15 PM
Basically Goldwire.

To be fair he was definitely fouled on the 1st turnover. But you knew he was going to do something negative on the 2nd turnover. Just call a timeout there and get Tre the ball.

jipops
Just terrible game management. This will not go down as a banner year in coaching.

CameronDuke
The possession before Childress hit the game tying 3, looked like Goldwire got fouled to me.

ChrisP
Goldwire was tackled! Like literally taken to the ground! WTH???

devildeac
Incredible..

We just threw away any chance of a #1 seed.

Haven't seen a collapse like this in a while. We really are very very poor on the road.

Sometimes, you can't overcome inept, incompetent and totally dishonest reffing.

Ballboy1998
Wake tried to intentionally foul twice: no whistle. Goldwire football tackles to the ground: no whistle. Childress runs into stationary Goldwire: foul.

DUKIE V(A)
Stop fouling!

Saratoga2
02-25-2020, 09:16 PM
Nine point lead with little left to go and they have a bunch of to's and look like an inexperienced team. Cann't believe this is Duke ooutt there.

Phredd3
The possession before Childress hit the game tying 3, looked like Goldwire got fouled to me.

Before or after the tackle?

rsvman
And Luckie continues calling fouls on essentially every shot.

kaufmjo
Wake tried to intentionally foul twice: no whistle. Goldwire football tackles to the ground: no whistle. Childress runs into stationary Goldwire: foul.

But why not call a timeout against a collapse? To providing a teaching moment?

Dukehk
Sometimes, you can't overcome inept, incompetent and totally dishonest reffing.

Well. We did overcome teddy v at the dome. So there is that :D

kAzE
02-25-2020, 09:17 PM
5 fouls, no other stats. The “full Javin.”

jipops
02-25-2020, 09:19 PM
5 fouls, no other stats. The “full Javin.”

0-1 from the floor. He has that.

DangerDevil
02-25-2020, 09:19 PM
But why not call a timeout against a collapse? To providing a teaching moment?

K thought that Robinson needed five more minutes to pad his stats and cement his status as the MOTM!

devildeac
02-25-2020, 09:20 PM
To be fair he was definitely fouled on the 1st turnover. But you knew he was going to do something negative on the 2nd turnover. Just call a timeout there and get Tre the ball.

Fouls 12-3 last 10 minutes of game

rsvman
02-25-2020, 09:21 PM
Sheesh.

DUKIE V(A)
Up 84-81. Tre’s jersey grabbed on drive. No call. Ugh. Need to overcome.

SouthernDukie
Epic choke job. Almost as bad as the Cheats.

Not 100% on Duke. Call this whatever you want, but I’m saying right now the officials have royally screwed us over the last 8 minutes of the 2nd half. Go back after the game is over and take note of when Wake was called for their 8th foul, and then how much time goes by before they are finally called for their 9th. In between those calls Duke was whistled at least 4 or 5 times. And that was with Sarr’s being ultra physical and getting called for nothing. That was what completely changed the dynamics of the game.

SouthernDukie
02-25-2020, 09:22 PM
Fouls 12-3 last 10 minutes of game

Exactly.

g4orce
02-25-2020, 09:23 PM
2 minutes left in OT. Still no White.

devildeac
02-25-2020, 09:26 PM
Nine point lead with little left to go and they have a bunch of to's and look like an inexperienced team. Cann't believe this is Duke ooutt there.

16-6 FT since about the 10 minute mark; 13 fouls to 5.

devildeac
02-25-2020, 09:27 PM
Up 84-81. Tre’s jersey grabbed on drive. No call. Ugh. Need to overcome.

Can't overcome dishonest reffing.

DUKIECB
02-25-2020, 09:27 PM
He was on the floor!!!

rsvman
02-25-2020, 09:28 PM
That's a death knell.

We can't get a stop on the defensive end.

fuse
This is a frustrating team. Fun to watch. All of the talent, just not enough focus or will.

Ballboy1998
Nice W for Jamie Luckie.

SouthernDukie
02-25-2020, 09:29 PM
Win or lose I hope K says something about the officiating in the post game. Don’t give a rip what the perception is.

DUKIE V(A)
I like the foul there. Extend the game.

Phredd3
"Olivier Sarr just fouled out." About dang time.

devildeac
02-25-2020, 09:30 PM
That's a death knell.

We can't get a stop on the defensive end.

We're not allowed to touch them-how can you play D that way?

DUKIE V(A)
02-25-2020, 09:30 PM
Nice answer by Moore!! Let’s go!!

SouthernDukie
02-25-2020, 09:31 PM
"Olivier Sarr just fouled out." About dang time.

About 10 minutes more than he deserved to be on the court.

Ballboy1998
42 free throws already...

rsvman
42 free throws already...

Wow. SMH.

DUKIE V(A)
Good foul.

DUKIE V(A)
02-25-2020, 09:33 PM
We don’t quit!!

ChrisP
02-25-2020, 09:33 PM
Moore was fouled on that last drive (at least according to the way this game is being called)

rsvman
02-25-2020, 09:35 PM
A steal would be nice.

devildeac
Moore was fouled on that last drive (at least according to the way this game is being called)

Only if wake is driving

Phredd3
54 fouls called: 32-Duke; 22-Wake.

DUKIE V(A)
02-25-2020, 09:38 PM
New life.

DUKIECB
02-25-2020, 09:38 PM
This is one of the most ridiculous basketball games I think I’ve ever watched.

rsvman
02-25-2020, 09:39 PM
Why no Jack White?

He'd be fresh, too!

SouthernDukie
02-25-2020, 09:40 PM

We win this in regulation, going away, but for the officials.

rsvman
02-25-2020, 09:40 PM

Apparently you didn't see the game at wake that went three OTs in which we fouled out all but one of our starters.

Saratoga2
02-25-2020, 09:41 PM
Still in it and hanging by a thread. If they had shown that grit at the end of regular time it would have been in the win column.

wavedukefan70s
02-25-2020, 09:41 PM

I beg to differ just watched my sons school play .ref must have had cataracts.kid was out of bounds 3 times missed i digress.

devildeac
02-25-2020, 09:43 PM
Apparently you didn't see the game at wake that went three OTs in which we fouled out all but one of our starters.

About the same thing happened at murlin when JJ finished the game with 1 other starter and 3 subs and about 4 of our guys fouled out.

fan345678

Yeah, this seems to happen at Wake on occasion. That game was one of a few during that era that seemed to be overly officiated.

J4Kop99
This is bad. Not really sure what else to say. Win or lose here... this is just bad.

devildeac
02-25-2020, 09:44 PM
54 fouls called: 32-Duke; 22-Wake.

46-32 FT, too.:mad:

aimo
02-25-2020, 09:44 PM
I just had to take an antacid.

DUKIECB
02-25-2020, 09:45 PM
Apparently you didn't see the game at wake that went three OTs in which we fouled out all but one of our starters.I said one of😎

Son of Mojo
02-25-2020, 09:45 PM
Can't muster anything positive to say, and if I write my thoughts I'll be a wanker for saying it........

SouthernDukie
02-25-2020, 09:46 PM
Ballgame. Just out of gas. Bye-bye ACC regular season title, and #1 seed. Thank you officials. You suck.

jipops
02-25-2020, 09:46 PM
Can't muster anything positive to say, and if I write my thoughts I'll be a wanker for saying it....

Yea there is nothing good to glean from this game. Appears to be a team in decline.

rsvman
02-25-2020, 09:47 PM
Horrendous showing in the second overtime.

SouthernDukie
02-25-2020, 09:48 PM
Yea there is nothing good to glean from this game. Appears to be a team in decline.

Despite my major gripes with the officiating, I have to agree. My expectations have been drastically lowered over the past week. Anything is possible, but at present we are going in the wrong direction.

DUKIECB
Did they really just cut our feed? What the hell?

Phredd3
Ballgame. Just out of gas. Bye-bye ACC regular season title, and #1 seed. Thank you officials. You suck.

Agree that the officials suck, but in fairness, after this game we just plain don't deserve a one seed.

arnie
02-25-2020, 09:49 PM
We win this in regulation, going away, but for the officials.

Or if we didn’t collapse in regulation.

fuse
JRob deserved a better outcome.

Blaming the refs seems to overlook a Duke team that didn’t value the ball in the first half at all, and not enough in the last minute of regulation.

SouthernDukie
Agree that the officials suck, but in fairness, after this game we just plain don't deserve a one seed.

Not arguing.

devildeac
No ACCN for me=blessing in disguise.

SouthernDukie
02-25-2020, 09:50 PM
JRob deserved a better outcome.

Blaming the refs seems to overlook a Duke team that didn’t value the ball in the first half at all, and not enough in the last minute of regulation.

Both things can be true at the same time.

Eternal Outlaw
02-25-2020, 09:51 PM
Congrats to the refs, earned that win, guess we do pay the people that the fans come to see.

Never should have went to OT but they made it happen

Dr. Rosenrosen
Is Tre Jones trying to lose? Sheesh. Oh well.

Music man55
Well, we had it and gave it away. Simple as that.

WakeDevil
02-25-2020, 09:52 PM
Did they really just cut our feed? What the hell?

You should thank them.