PDA

View Full Version : UK Loses to Gardner Webb in Rupp!

3rd Dukie
11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
under 8 to play.

wilson
11-07-2007, 10:48 PM
My girlfriend is a giant Kentucky fan. OK, that came out kind of weird...she really, really likes Kentucky.
I don't dare...right?

JBDuke
11-07-2007, 10:50 PM
My girlfriend is a giant Kentucky fan. OK, that came out kind of weird...she really, really likes Kentucky.
I don't dare...right?

Oh, heck yeah. You gotta!

G-Webb up by 14 with less than 6 mins to go...

3rd Dukie
11-07-2007, 10:50 PM
up 14
under 6 min to play

3rd Dukie
11-07-2007, 10:56 PM
under 4 min to play

up 14

Cool!!

3rd Dukie
11-07-2007, 11:05 PM
up 16

under 3 to play

UK does not have the swarming type of team they had so much under Tubby

feldspar
11-07-2007, 11:18 PM
It's ovah!!!!!

wilson
11-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Oh, heck yeah. You gotta!

I just did (electronically). I'm gonna be in big trouble tomorrow.

DBFAN
11-07-2007, 11:20 PM
I went to UK for a year for my graduate studies, hated every minute of it. Being a Duke fan it was a little hard to Stomach the Bluegrass state. I know one thing for sure thought all of those people in Lexington are yelling and screaming right now, if I was Billy G I would be finding some kind of escape route from Rupp. Maybe someone should have told Patrick Patterson that when you play at Duke, you come prepared. Ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

captmojo
11-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Someplace in heaven, my brother is smilin' his rear end off!

He went to Gardner-Webb with Artis Gilmore.

jimsumner
11-07-2007, 11:23 PM
But imagine how bad it would have been if Tubby were still coaching. :)

captmojo
11-07-2007, 11:23 PM

Oh. The humanity!

DBFAN
11-07-2007, 11:26 PM
What the headline says about Boiling Springs. But you are so right about them not liking the whole state of NC. When I lived there, 4 years ago, I swear that I could find at least one conversation a day about the Duke Kentucky game, they do not let go of anything.

kydevil
11-07-2007, 11:27 PM
:D Couldn't wait to get home to post about this one, so im sitting in my car on the labtop waiting to leave Rupp! Got free tickets to this one and had nothing better to do so I decided to go. Uk just didn't look anything like A&M looked last year. They did not play good defense and had really no offense going for them. Bradley(till the end of the game) Meeks, and Crawford just couldn't hit anything, which seems like a problem they had last year. Patterson looked pretty good, scored a couple garbage baskets but was there only low post presence. In summary I loved being there, nothing better than hearing 20,000 + ignorant fans being silenced at Rupp by Gardner Webb!

P.S. the greatest thing about it is that all over the Lexington-Herald Leader today it was talking all about Gillespie

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/

Will be interesting to see what it says tomorrow.

kydevil
11-07-2007, 11:33 PM
:mad:
What the headline says about Boiling Springs. But you are so right about them not liking the whole state of NC. When I lived there, 4 years ago, I swear that I could find at least one conversation a day about the Duke Kentucky game, they do not let go of anything.

Your telling me, Try wearing Duke clothes at the mall in lexington. I get harrassed constantly. Somewhere around 17 missed calls after we lost last year to vcu

duketaylor
11-07-2007, 11:47 PM
UK losing tonight is just too damn funny. We're moving up the rankings without even playing. Wait til we drop 120 or more on a few early opponents, well, maybe not that much, but it could happen. Memphis had trouble with Richmond. Not Dick Tarrant's UR squad or Joh Beilein's UR team, but the current one which has a lot of issues, IMO. And Mich St. loses an exhibition to Our Lady of Lordes? Heck, maybe I'm getting nervous;)

lavell12
11-07-2007, 11:49 PM
How long till people call for Gillispe's head?

kydevil
11-08-2007, 12:03 AM
How long till people call for Gillispe's head?

I dunno, but I found this on a Uk Board that I participate in, O I can't wait for work tomorrow!

"was completely outcoached in the game today. They were out of position constantly, and played terrible defense. The offense was never in a groove and the rebounding was horrific. There is absolutely no excuse for this loss. They team was nowhere near ready to play. They were not prepared for this game."

DBFAN
11-08-2007, 12:17 AM
My wife would actually wear her Duke jacket to classes there, she is a very brave soul. Whats even worse for those fans is that in Lexington last call is a midnight. So they can not even drink themselves to sleep. They are all probably at Tally Ho's now.

DukeDawg
11-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Reading over the UK forums, it is obvious that many are quite upset and rightfully so. Shockingly, a lot of the Mods seem to be the ones telling those to stop blaming Tubs...who is the obvious target by most fans

Well, if BG didn't know what he was getting himself into, he sure will starting tommorrow

dukemomLA
11-08-2007, 01:48 AM
YAHOO!!! Ain't that GREAT!!

JasonEvans
11-08-2007, 08:41 AM
I just did (electronically). I'm gonna be in big trouble tomorrow.

We need details of what you did and how she reponds!!

JasonEvans
11-08-2007, 08:45 AM

I predict that if this season goes poorly, and knowing Kentucky fans absurd standards-- that is a given, the blame will be given to Tubby. The comments will be something like: "It is not BG's fault-- he inherrited these uncoachable players from Tubby."

--Jason "Billy G's got a one-year grace period before everyone starts talking about hiring Donvan again" Evans

WheatDevil
11-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Does anyone see a similar path between International basketball and the college game (at this point in time) in that some big name programs are losing to presumably lesser talent? In the case of the college game, could it be that the kids that play in the shoe leagues and end up playing at bigger programs are less team oriented than the kids that go to the smaller programs?

On a completely different note, I grew up in the same small town as Adolph Rupp. My HS basketball team 'adopted' an older gentleman in the town's nursing home. I think his name was Carl Detweiler (this was 20 y.a.). Carl was in his mid-90's at the time and, since he knew we were a basketball team, he told a story about Adolph Rupp. IRC the story was Carl had hired Adolph as a teenager to help him with haying one summer and Carl's impression of Adolph was that he was lazier than the other summer help.

dukeisawesome
11-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Does anyone see a similar path between International basketball and the college game (at this point in time) in that some big name programs are losing to presumably lesser talent? In the case of the college game, could it be that the kids that play in the shoe leagues and end up playing at bigger programs are less team oriented than the kids that go to the smaller programs?

On a completely different note, I grew up in the same small town as Adolph Rupp. My HS basketball team 'adopted' an older gentleman in the town's nursing home. I think his name was Carl Detweiler (this was 20 y.a.). Carl was in his mid-90's at the time and, since he knew we were a basketball team, he told a story about Adolph Rupp. IRC the story was Carl had hired Adolph as a teenager to help him with haying one summer and Carl's impression of Adolph was that he was lazier than the other summer help.

I only saw the highlights, but that's exactly what I thought. Gardner-Webb's players were clearly not as athletic, but knew how to play the game. Kentucky seemed to just be relying on athleticism and size. But, of course, as the season goes on Kentucky will learn to play a bit and I'm sure they could beat G-W by about 30 in February.

elvis14
11-08-2007, 09:58 AM
:mad:

Your telling me, Try wearing Duke clothes at the mall in lexington. I get harrassed constantly. Somewhere around 17 missed calls after we lost last year to vcu

My best friend moved to Ky for about 2 years. Like us, he's a big Duke basketball fan. Neither he nor I ever had any hate for Ky, to us they were always just another good program that isn't quite as good as Duke's program. So my buddy, Jeff, moves to Ky and quickly discovers that they hate Duke, think our program is not in the same class as theirs, they think the SEC is a better basketball conference than the ACC, that the Wildcats are just better than everybody else and it's a fluke when they lose. We were ignorant to all this anti-Duke, pro-UK crap before he moved.

Needless to say his feelings and opinions about UK quickly changed and since we call each other a few times a week it wasn't long before I pretty much started hating on UK myself. He'd call me about once a week during basketball season I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.in' and moanin' about the idiot UK fans.

My point? Yeah Gardner Webb!!! Whoo Hoooo

This is actually good for Duke, it'll be a good reminder not to take Central lightly tomorrow night.

Indoor66
11-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Reading over the UK forums, it is obvious that many are quite upset and rightfully so. Shockingly, a lot of the Mods seem to be the ones telling those to stop blaming Tubs...who is the obvious target by most fans

Well, if BG didn't know what he was getting himself into, he sure will starting tommorrow

Another instant "God" falls. El Deano was hung in effigy (a small town outside of Siler City) and K was under fire. These current coronations before a game is played are silly. See: Calipari, Self, etc. Let's coronate them after they win.

freedevil
11-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Did Patrick Patterson play center in this loss?

EasternDB
11-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Elvis14 - I agree with you. Uk hate Duke. No one is suppose to beat them because "They are Kentucky". Every year they are suppose to win the NCAA.
They are the most obnoxious fans I have ever come across.

When ever one of their fans tell me that they have the most wins in NCAA history (basketball), I quickly remind them they also have been put on probation more then any other school. I guess cheating is OK as long as you win in their eyes.

JMO...

SMO
11-08-2007, 11:50 AM
You mean that same fella that turned down Duke, solidifying the Blue Devils as a program on the downturn that can't win any recruiting battles? The same Patrick Patterson that is going to make KY and instant contender?

No, you must mean someone else. Any team with Patrick Patterson would have destroyed a lesser opponent.

Did Patrick Patterson play center in this loss?

(NOT KNOCKING PATRICK, JUST HAVING FUN AT THE EXPENSE OF THE "OVERREACTION TO LOSING A RECRUIT" CROWD)

freedevil
11-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Haha. I like SMO - I like the post a lot.

phaedrus
11-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Patterson not only played, he was one of their top players, putting up 12 and 12.

12 and 12 against Gardner-Webb, by the way, is far less impressive than the 18 and 6 Zoubek put up against Columbia last year.

Lulu
11-08-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't like the T-shirt. Sure, it's funny they lost, but we shouldn't care that much. Gives them too much credit, which they haven't earned recently. I'll wait for the 0-for-30 shirt coming in a few months.

Sir Stealth
11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I agree with Lulu. The Duke thing with Kentucky fans was always like the early version of the Maryland "rivalry." One side irrationally hating the other because of some tough losses for them and taking it so far that all of a sudden it supposedly became a rivalry. Ironically, both Kentucky and Maryland have had times when they got back at Duke on the court ('98 was truly devastating, Maryland has been able to get some upset wins out of us in the last few years), yet their fans still can't get over it. I think the Kentucky loss is hilarious but it hasn't really been a great program in a while anyway.

SMO
11-08-2007, 01:40 PM
In all seriousness, the implication is that recruits don't necessarily translate into team success. Both points below are valid and help illustrate that at the end of the day Duke's (or anyone else's) success on the season will be determined by a lot more than a single recruit.

Patterson not only played, he was one of their top players, putting up 12 and 12.

12 and 12 against Gardner-Webb, by the way, is far less impressive than the 18 and 6 Zoubek put up against Columbia last year.