PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke @ NC State (Wed 2/19 9:00 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DavidBenAkiva
02-16-2020, 12:57 PM
Duke continues its North Carolina residency on Wednesday night by traveling down I-40 to Raleigh where the Wolfpack of NC State await in their den. NC State are 5th in the conference with a 7-6 record. Normally, being 5th in the conference would put the team solidly in the NCAA Tournament field. This is not a normal year. The Wolfpack are currently on the outside looking in, desperate for a signature victory to get back into the fold.

NC State has a surplus of guards and experience this year. Usually that is a formula for success in the NCAA. Things have not been going so well for the home team. State has one "bad" loss, a home court drubbing to fellow rival UNC that felt like a bigger gap than the final 10-point margin of defeat. Losses to Georgia Tech (home and away), Memphis (neutral court but sans James Wiseman), at Clemson and Virginia Tech, and home versus Louisville are not back breakers. There are also wins over Wisconsin, at Virginia and most recently at Syracuse that give this team some signs of hope. For a team in 5th place in a major conference, though, the resume is sparse.

Kevin Keats has been seeking the right mix of guards to start this year. He has a lot of options. SR PG Markell Johnson (6'1") has started all but one game and played 32 minutes in the one game he didn't start. He'll see the court a lot in this matchup. Johnson has really struggled to shoot the ball this year, hitting on almost 25% of his 3's and less than 60% from the FT line. He was a good shooter coming into his senior year, so this is a tough development for him and the team. In all the other areas of the game, Johnson checks all the boxes you would want in a PG. He dishes out a ton of assists, steals the ball often, he even rebounds pretty well. He has been a bit turnover prone this year. He suffered an ankle injury in the preseason and it seems to have derailed his game somewhat all year. In spite of that, he plays nearly 36 minutes per night in conference play. The matchup with Tre Jones will be key in this one.

Alongside Johnson, NC State will play SR G CJ Bryce (6'5"), JR G Devon Daniels (6'5") and JR G Braxton Beverly (6'0"). Sometime all four guards will see the court at the same time. They have all started at least 16 games each. Beverly is the designated gunner on the team and has taken more than twice as many 3's than shots inside the arc this year. He can be dangerous from behind the arc but has not developed beyond a long-range shooter. CJ Bryce followed Kevin Keats from UNC Wilmington to Raleigh. He has a well-rounded game and has developed into the best shooter on the team this season. He leads NC State in both scoring (14 pts/gm) and rebounding (6.3 reb/gm). Bryce is particularly effective in that midrange jumper that Christian Keeling at UNC loves. He's someone to check in this matchup. Devon Daniels is another transfer by way of Utah. Daniels plays more a wing position and will get to the rim as much as possible. He's also pretty effective at stripping the ball on defense and can be a tough matchup for other wings or forwards.

Kevin Keats has a pair of forwards that will see playing team most nights. SO Jerichole Hellems (6'7" 198 lbs) gets the most starts (16) and PT among the pair. He is a versatile player that does a little bit of everything out on the court without excelling in one particular facet of the game. SR F Pat Andree (6'8" 225 lbs) is a stretch-4 that will take a good number of 3's per game and makes them at a decent rate but doesn't contribute much else.

Up front, JR F/C DJ Funderburk (6'10") is the man in the middle. He's a tough and versatile player that is effective scoring the ball around the hoop. He can and will take a few jumpers from time to time, but that's not really his game. He's not an out-of-area rebounder and seems to be a little less effective in that department overall for someone his size and athletic ability, the kind of player that leaves you wanting more. He doesn't offer much rim protection but should put a good amount of pressure on Carey and DeLaurier when NC State has the ball. Boxing him out will be key as he is good on the offensive boards. Funderburk is getting backup minutes and occasionally playing alongside FR C Manny Bates (6'11" 221 lbs). Bates is a high level shot blocker and can score around the rim reasonably well. Like Funderburk, he's good on the offensive glass but doesn't provide much defensive rebounding. He's always looking for the block, so that is somewhat understandable.

As a team, NC State has a pretty good offense. As a team, they do not shoot the ball well from 3, but that can almost entirely be chalked up the Markell Johnson's struggles this year. He has taken the most and has been woeful from behind the arc. They have been far more effective inside the arc. For a team with so many experienced guards, they do not play particularly heady. Their assist rate is quite low. There are a lot of iso situations or screens set by the forwards where Johnson or Bryce will dive to the rim or call their own shots. On defense, they are weak on the offensive glass but one of the better shot blocking teams. The latter is almost entirely when Bates is in the game as he is the only one getting regular rejections, to the tune of 3 per game. He could be tough for Vernon Carey, Jr. Other than those two factors - OR and BLK - NC State is sort of ho-hum on defense.

Duke should have an advantage in depth, size, and interior play in this one. If Carey is getting bothered by Bates, having Cassius Stanley back would be ideal. His ability to rebound missed shots and throw down a vicious putback could be a key. Wendell Moore is also an effective offensive rebounder, as is Javin DeLaurier. Ultimately, the biggest factor to me will be how NC State responds to its home crowd. The Wolfpack laid an egg against UNC at the PNC Arena. Will they drop another home game to the other triangle team?

Tripping William
02-16-2020, 01:12 PM
If history is any guide, prepare for State to shoot 85% from the floor, 90% from three. (Kedsy preemption: This is hyperbole.)

TKG
02-16-2020, 01:20 PM
PNC Arena has become a house of horrors for Duke regardless of opponent (see Mercer).

rocketeli
02-16-2020, 01:36 PM
PNC Arena has become a house of horrors for Duke regardless of opponent (see Mercer).

Since the 2009-10 season Duke is 2-4 against State at the RBC/PNC ( despite being the favorite every game), so yeah, there's something there that's like Duke kryptonite.

devildeac
02-16-2020, 01:42 PM
If we'd like to win at the RBC/PNC Center this week, perhaps there's some way to convince/fool the Pack that we're actually wearing "u"nc unis...

DavidBenAkiva
02-16-2020, 01:50 PM
Since the 2009-10 season Duke is 2-4 against State at the RBC/PNC ( despite being the favorite every game), so yeah, there's something there that's like Duke kryptonite.

The history suggests this is not going to be an easy game for Duke. But the recent results suggest a few advantages for the Blue Devils. The last time Duke played at PNC, only Braxton Beverly from this current squad played for NC State. Last year, a game at Cameron, Duke was able to assert itself on the offensive glass, grabbing more than 40% of its own missed shots. And Duke got to the FT line a lot. The two teams were relatively equal in other facets of the game, like eFG% and TOV%. Those two factors - offensive rebound rate and free throw rate - are advantages for Duke. NC State rarely gets to the line on offense and gives up a lot of offensive rebounds. Meanwhile, Duke gets to the free throw line at a decent pace.

Historically, the matchups were not good for Duke. That shifted last year and it persists a bit this year. In spite of that, I think this will be a close game most of the way.

Saratoga2
02-16-2020, 02:19 PM
Duke should have an advantage in depth, size, and interior play in this one. If Carey is getting bothered by Bates, having Cassius Stanley back would be ideal. His ability to rebound missed shots and throw down a vicious putback could be a key. Wendell Moore is also an effective offensive rebounder, as is Javin DeLaurier. Ultimately, the biggest factor to me will be how NC State responds to its home crowd. The Wolfpack laid an egg against UNC at the PNC Arena. Will they drop another home game to the other triangle team?

My experience with a scratched cornea is that they put medication under a contact lens and it healed quickly. i was told that tissue on the eye heals more quickly than normal skin tissue.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2020, 03:08 PM

Reynolds was no better......(see Fire and Ice, Black Sunday....)

SCMatt33
02-16-2020, 03:22 PM
I think the biggest key for Duke will be making NC State beat us 5 on 5. One thing that played into Duke’s hands matchup-wise against ND is that the Irish don’t force turnovers and don’t push the ball. The last month or so, Duke’s biggest bugaboos have been turning the ball over and giving up early offense, not strictly fast break points, but letting teams get shots up before Duke can get all 5 guys back and set. NC State will absolutely get out and run, scoring 21 fast break points with only 7 steals Against Syracuse earlier this week, so it doesn’t take a turnover for them to run. Duke absolutely has to do a good job taking care of the ball on offense, and having guys down in the corners hustle back before State actually takes possession. If Duke has two guys in the corners and you aren’t going to crash for an offensive board or go after a loose ball on a potential turnover, you have to start back before State comes up with it. You can’t get caught frozen hoping Duke gets the 50/50 ball. That happened way too many times against FSU.

If Duke can make State score in the half court against a set D, it will go a long way.

DavidBenAkiva
02-16-2020, 04:56 PM
I think the biggest key for Duke will be making NC State beat us 5 on 5. One thing that played into Duke’s hands matchup-wise against ND is that the Irish don’t force turnovers and don’t push the ball. The last month or so, Duke’s biggest bugaboos have been turning the ball over and giving up early offense, not strictly fast break points, but letting teams get shots up before Duke can get all 5 guys back and set. NC State will absolutely get out and run, scoring 21 fast break points with only 7 steals Against Syracuse earlier this week, so it doesn’t take a turnover for them to run. Duke absolutely has to do a good job taking care of the ball on offense, and having guys down in the corners hustle back before State actually takes possession. If Duke has two guys in the corners and you aren’t going to crash for an offensive board or go after a loose ball on a potential turnover, you have to start back before State comes up with it. You can’t get caught frozen hoping Duke gets the 50/50 ball. That happened way too many times against FSU.

If Duke can make State score in the half court against a set D, it will go a long way.

I agree that forcing NC State into halfcourt offense would be a good strategy for Duke. I do want to point out that NC State is not all that good at forcing turnovers. They are average, ranking 97th in the nation at 20.7%. Where NC State was able to exploit Syracuse for fast break opportunities was on long rebounds. Syracuse is not a good rebounding team and are especially bad this year. Duke isn't great as a defensive rebounding team but are much better than both Syracuse and NC State. And State isn't playing a particularly fast tempo this year. In short, we shouldn't expect NC State to force all that many TO's or get all that many fastbreak opportunities unless something very wrong is going on.

SCMatt33
02-16-2020, 06:59 PM
I agree that forcing NC State into halfcourt offense would be a good strategy for Duke. I do want to point out that NC State is not all that good at forcing turnovers. They are average, ranking 97th in the nation at 20.7%. Where NC State was able to exploit Syracuse for fast break opportunities was on long rebounds. Syracuse is not a good rebounding team and are especially bad this year. Duke isn't great as a defensive rebounding team but are much better than both Syracuse and NC State. And State isn't playing a particularly fast tempo this year. In short, we shouldn't expect NC State to force all that many TO's or get all that many fastbreak opportunities unless something very wrong is going on.

A few points I’d counter with here. NC State has been pretty consistent with those turnover numbers, maintaining over 19% in conference only games, which ranks 5th in conference. That 20% or so is a real number, not one inflated too heavily by forcing a bunch of turnovers against cupcakes in November. Also, you’re looking at defensive rebounding for Syracuse. You need to look at offensive rebounding, which they’re pretty decent at. Not great, but decent. In fact, Syracuse easily out rebounded NC State on Tuesday grabbing 34% of their misses compared to just 18% for NC State. So despite grabbing only 65% of defensive rebounds, they were running on a significant number of ones that they got.

And this is more about what Duke does than the stats. You go back to the Pitt game, Duke took care of the ball with only 9 turnovers against a team that does force tons of turnovers, and Duke got almost 39% of their misses back, but transition D was still a huge problem in that game. Duke gave Pitt to many 2 on 2 or 3 and 3 opportunities in the open floor where they didn’t have to score against a set d. Notre Dame is a team that wouldn’t try take those opportunities. NC State will. If Tre drives and goes down to the floor on a layup try, the other guys in the corner have to start going back before State grabs the ball whether it’s in the hoop or on a rebound.

Duke’s open floor defense has not been that great, and giving up fewer open floor opportunities by being aware and not getting caught ball watching is something Duke needs to improve on down the stretch, because a lot of teams won’t share the offensive philosophy of ND or UVA, and against a desperate bubble team in a raucous road environment because it can steamroll from a bucket to a run really fast.

Tripping William
02-16-2020, 09:02 PM
If history is any guide, prepare for State to shoot 85% from the floor, 90% from three. (Kedsy preemption: This is hyperbole.)

State’s loss to BC only makes this more likely. 😔

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2020, 09:06 PM
State’s loss to BC only makes this more likely. 😔

oh you can book it....right now, put it down.

Saratoga2
02-16-2020, 09:10 PM

We hit our shots and they get less opportunities to run.

duke2x
02-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Coach K has said that he never has had an easy game @NCSU. Additionally, this game will also test Troublemaker's theory that we perform above expectations against good O / bad D teams. ND and NCSU have extremely similar numbers on Pomeroy.

Don't let that player (name?) shoot a halfcourt shot to end a half/game. He's hit two of them this year, one of which beat UNC-G.

DukeFanSince1990
02-16-2020, 11:15 PM

When State plays Duke they are the Harlem Globetrotters.

When State plays UNC they are the Washington Generals.

Troublemaker
02-17-2020, 07:26 AM
Coach K has said that he never has had an easy game @NCSU. Additionally, this game will also test Troublemaker's theory that we perform above expectations against good O / bad D teams. ND and NCSU have extremely similar numbers on Pomeroy.

There's a ton of overlap between SCMatt33's analysis in this thread and the explanation for my theory, although ultimately we reach different conclusions. He sees NCSU as a formidable challenge, and I see NCSU as an opponent we're more likely to cover the point spread against than not (i.e. we're likely to overperform expectations.)

I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded below.

dukelifer
02-17-2020, 08:25 AM
There's a ton of overlap between SCMatt33's analysis in this thread and the explanation for my theory, although ultimately we reach different conclusions. He sees NCSU as a formidable challenge, and I see NCSU as an opponent we're more likely to cover the point spread against than not (i.e. we're likely to overperform expectations.)

I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded below.

I always worry after a blowout win. State tends to give Duke a tough game and can get out and run. They are dangerous but clearly an up an down team. This is the biggest game of the year for them as they have a razor thin chance of making the tourney. Duke will need to bring a big effort to get the win. Can Zion stick around for a couple more days?

PackMan97
02-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Or more likely, for Duke to add to their 30pt drubbings of ACC opponents.

MChambers
02-17-2020, 11:29 AM
Or more likely, for Duke to add to their 30pt drubbings of ACC opponents.

The weauxfgods are not fooled by reverse weauxfing.

Music man55
02-17-2020, 11:51 AM
Get ready for good,tough State team versus the soft,sloppy one. That's the one we always get. Duke better bring it Wed. nite.

SkyBrickey
02-17-2020, 01:50 PM
I'm hoping Matthew Hurt continues to come on strong. 9 rebounds and 12 points in 27 min against ND and he referred to his big rebound against Louisville as giving him more confidence to battle inside. Tough defense and tough rebounding earns him more playing time and gives us a potent inside/outside offensive weapon when he's on his game - he's a matchup nightmare for a lot of opposing teams.

For the most part, we know what we're getting each game from Tre, Vernon, Cassius, JGold, Jack, Javin and I would even argue Wendell. Hurt and AOC seem to be the biggest wildcards in terms of contribution.

I think this team will start peaking and be primed for a run at some championships if Matthew Hurt starts contributing at his potential for 25 min a game.

uh_no
02-17-2020, 02:14 PM
I'm hoping Matthew Hurt continues to come on strong. 9 rebounds and 12 points in 27 min against ND and he referred to his big rebound against Louisville as giving him more confidence to battle inside. Tough defense and tough rebounding earns him more playing time and gives us a potent inside/outside offensive weapon when he's on his game - he's a matchup nightmare for a lot of opposing teams.

For the most part, we know what we're getting each game from Tre, Vernon, Cassius, JGold, Jack, Javin and I would even argue Wendell. Hurt and AOC seem to be the biggest wildcards in terms of contribution.

I think this team will start peaking and be primed for a run at some championships if Matthew Hurt starts contributing at his potential for 25 min a game.

spot on on hurt. There is plenty to complain about for freshman-loaded teams...but one thing I love is seeing these guys make huge improvements having been thrown into the fire.

CDu
02-17-2020, 02:36 PM
The Wolfpack have been pretty disappointing this season, and it is largely because Markell Johnson hasn't been nearly as good as he was last year.

Bigs: Manny Bates is the primary starting center. Bates is a prolific shotblocker... and a prolific fouler. On offense, he's an okay offensive rebounder and pretty much only shoots layups and dunks. He's long and athletic but low on skill. DJ Funderburk is a different animal. Funderburk isn't as athletic as Bates, but he's fairly athletic and long and lean. Where he really separates himself from Bates, though, is that he can shoot. Funderburk is quite capable from 15-18 feet, and willing to shoot it from 3 as well. It's not a strength, but he's capable from there. Funderburk is also quite solid at the FT line. He has been a bit disappointing as a sophomore after showing promise as a freshman. The two bigs have started together a handful of times this year (including against BC).

Forwards: If Funderburk doesn't start, it'll almost certainly be Jericole Hellems that starts at forward. Hellems does a little of everything, but what makes him so valuable to State is that he can defend all five spots without embarrassing himself. He's fairly quick and agile for his 6'7" frame. Keatts trusts Hellems with the ball to the point that Hellems was the FT line guy against Cuse's zone. He's a solid role player who hits his FTs, can hit some 3s, but doesn't overextend himself outside of his range. If needed, Pat Andree (grad transfer from Lehigh) plays some as well. Andree is a floor spacer and not much more. He's a very capable 3pt shooter, with virtually no ability to create his own shot. Andree has played VERY sparingly in recent weeks though.

Wings: State plays pretty much just two guys here: Bryce and Daniels. Bryce is another of the Pack's uber-versatile guys, capable of defending four positions. He's fairly athletic, and is a very good shooter, and a terrific rebounder for his size. Similarly, Devon Daniels can be a handful. Daniels is not super quick, but he can really jump. He's also quite strong physically. He's a good shooter from all over the court, but his kryptonite is his overconfidence. He's a bit too willing to go YOLO and make the heroball play. Still, when he is on, he is a real menace.

Guards: As mentioned above, Markell Johnson is a crucial piece to this team. He has NBA talent. A terrific ballhandler, and a guy who has historically shown the ability to score from all 3 levels. Super quick, good enough in the air, and a terrific passer, he was a fringe NBA prospect last year who decided to return. Unfortunately, his shooting has taken a huge step back this year after shooting over 40% from 3 the previous two years. His inability to make the jump has kept State struggling to stay on the bubble. But he's an incredibly dangerous playmaker and perhaps the biggest concern for us. The other guard is Braxton Beverly. Beverly is a terrific shooter, but can be deceptively effective off the dribble. He's very strong, so if he gets his shoulders by you he is unlikely to lose position. But he's not a good leaper, so he can be had at the rim. Still, he's a capable ballhandler and passer and can get the defense out of position.

Keatts shuffles his starting lineup a fair amount. Funderburk has not started much, but certainly acts as a starter. And Keatts will rotate through his four guard/wings liberally, with Beverly/Bryce/Daniels each taking turns as a starter. Only Johnson and Bates have been regular staters, but Bates plays only about half the game due to foul trouble.

It's not a deep team, and because of that Keatts can't press like he liked to do at UNC-W. But they do like to run off of offensive rebounds, and they LOVE to run off of turnovers. We'll have to be disciplined, both in protecting the ball and in getting back after missed shots. Because State is going to try to score quickly before our defense gets set.

PackMan97
02-17-2020, 04:29 PM
The weauxfgods are not fooled by reverse weauxfing.

I wish. State may not win another game this season.

WiJoe
02-17-2020, 08:20 PM

Oh, come now.

elvis14
02-18-2020, 11:01 AM

Take a look at NCSU's schedule, PackMan97 isn't kidding. They have a tough couple of weeks coming up. Duke twice, FSU, L'ville, Fighting Capels, Cheaters (who they will not show up for :mad:). Their last game is WF, that might be the one to win!

arnie
02-18-2020, 11:18 AM
Take a look at NCSU's schedule, PackMan97 isn't kidding. They have a tough couple of weeks coming up. Duke twice, FSU, L'ville, Fighting Capels, Cheaters (who they will not show up for :mad:). Their last game is WF, that might be the one to win!

Nope they will split with Duke. Book it🤬

elvis14
02-18-2020, 03:13 PM

LOL, you're killin' me arnie. I have have to start calling you "Smalls".

arnie
02-18-2020, 04:06 PM
LOL, you're killin' me arnie. I have have to start calling you "Smalls".

Yep, that’s my defense mechanism at work. If we miraculously sweep the Pack, I’ll be pleasantly surprised and life will be better. Lots of wolves work around me ready to bite.

ncexnyc
02-18-2020, 04:22 PM
I see people are mentioning the fact that State beat Cuse, but what they're not telling you is that Hughes didn't suit up for that game. JGIII had a monster game, but Buddy was a major bust for the Orangemen, as State was able to focus a lot more attention on him with the absence of Hughes. It's similar to people making a huge deal over ND's mini winning streak and how they beat Clemson at Clemson, yet they seem to forget Sims sat that game out with a case of the flu.

Could Johnson and Bryce go off on us tomorrow night? Sure they can, but the odds say they'll play their usual game and that equals a Duke win.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-18-2020, 04:22 PM
Yep, that’s my defense mechanism at work. If we miraculously sweep the Pack, I’ll be pleasantly surprised and life will be better. Lots of wolves work around me ready to bite.

It's weird with the pack. When they won in Cameron a couple years ago...I was unfortunately having dinner with my daughter at a Carolina Ale House full of wolves. As they were celebrating their fantasy island once in a lifetime super bowl win, I told them to enjoy the NIT...there were of course incensed, insulted, and indignant - but as it turns out, they didn't even make the NIT that season. Coached by Mark Got-fired.

ChillinDuke
02-18-2020, 06:44 PM
I said it before UNC and I'll say it again here. Games with asymmetric incentives scare me. This is a State team that needs a brand name win. They are 5th in the ACC at 7-7 in conference, 16-9 overall, and KP #60. Talk about bubble. Being only the 4th team this season to beat Duke breathes life into State's Tourney hopes. And this game is at home.

They need this game more than we do. In their home arena. That's not an easily quantifiable consideration.

- Chillin

bbfan
02-18-2020, 09:25 PM

what you are smoking is affecting your frontal lobe and executive functioning....

moonpie23
02-18-2020, 10:09 PM
they torture us every time we play at the PNC....it's their house..(unless you're the cheats)......look for an ugggggggly game tomorrow night..

remember, i'm reporting from the past now, so we could already be down 9...

53n206
02-18-2020, 10:14 PM
I said it before UNC and I'll say it again here. Games with asymmetric incentives scare me. This is a State team that needs a brand name win. They are 5th in the ACC at 7-7 in conference, 16-9 overall, and KP #60. Talk about bubble. Being only the 4th team this season to beat Duke breathes life into State's Tourney hopes. And this game is at home.

They need this game more than we do. In their home arena. That's not an easily quantifiable consideration.

- Chillin
"need more than we do"? Always, but come on.

Music man55
02-18-2020, 10:21 PM
If this team wins in that place in Raleigh, it will be something a lot of our recent teams haven't been able to do.Hoping they can get it done this time. Go Duke!

SavDukeGrad
02-18-2020, 10:36 PM
Looks like we’re wearing the navy, Brotherhood uniforms tomorrow night (per dukembb instagram). I’m already feeling a little more optimistic about this game; after all, we’re 2-0 in these uniforms!

Rich
02-18-2020, 11:30 PM
It's weird with the pack. When they won in Cameron a couple years ago...I was unfortunately having dinner with my daughter at a Carolina Ale House full of wolves. As they were celebrating their fantasy island once in a lifetime super bowl win, I told them to enjoy the NIT...there were of course incensed, insulted, and indignant - but as it turns out, they didn't even make the NIT that season. Coached by Mark Got-fired.

You sound like the life of the party!

BLPOG
02-19-2020, 01:26 AM

I usually try be cordial and congratulate the opposing team's fans in that sort of situation. I deeply regret my behavior on the couple occasions I've taken the opposite approach.

You sound like you might do better cheering on UNC. That's the sort of needless, rude behavior that UNC fans habitually inflict upon their fellow North Carolinians.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-19-2020, 03:34 AM
You sound like the life of the party!

I usually try be cordial and congratulate the opposing team's fans in that sort of situation. I deeply regret my behavior on the couple occasions I've taken the opposite approach.

You sound like you might do better cheering on UNC. That's the sort of needless, rude behavior that UNC fans habitually inflict upon their fellow North Carolinians.

Well EXCUUUUUUUUUSE me gentlemen....I didn't realize I was in the presence of etiquette royalty. You weren't there. You don't know the lay of the land. You don't know what precipitated what....but at least you have a strong opinion about it.

Saratoga2
02-19-2020, 07:07 AM
Duke is at full strength. Hurt is playing better, so are Vernon and Alex. I like our position and chances. Go Duke!

sagegrouse
02-19-2020, 09:20 AM
Duke is at full strength. Hurt is playing better, so are Vernon and Alex. I like our position and chances. Go Duke!

Here's my assessment:

At least two of ten players from Duke need to get hot from three territory.
Tre and Vernon need to continue to play at a high level.
Defense needs to be rock solid.

Are these too much to ask?

Kindly,
Sage
'It's nice having ten players capable of playing really good college hoops'

AZLA
02-19-2020, 09:44 AM
Well EXCUUUUUUUUUSE me gentlemen...I didn't realize I was in the presence of etiquette royalty. You weren't there. You don't know the lay of the land. You don't know what precipitated what...but at least you have a strong opinion about it.

It was the sweet and smokey popcorn chicken with chipotle ranch that precipitated it, huh? I don’t blame yah

AZLA
02-19-2020, 09:51 AM
The history suggests this is not going to be an easy game for Duke. But the recent results suggest a few advantages for the Blue Devils. The last time Duke played at PNC, only Braxton Beverly from this current squad played for NC State. Last year, a game at Cameron, Duke was able to assert itself on the offensive glass, grabbing more than 40% of its own missed shots. And Duke got to the FT line a lot. The two teams were relatively equal in other facets of the game, like eFG% and TOV%. Those two factors - offensive rebound rate and free throw rate - are advantages for Duke. NC State rarely gets to the line on offense and gives up a lot of offensive rebounds. Meanwhile, Duke gets to the free throw line at a decent pace.

Historically, the matchups were not good for Duke. That shifted last year and it persists a bit this year. In spite of that, I think this will be a close game most of the way.

Duke by 10. Full strength. On a roll. Time for K to open up the engines and let them run at full throttle a bit. State will compete well and there will be some tight moments. But I see Duke continuing to get better and pulling away. They don’t overlook the next team but their eye is on winning the regular season ... it’s time to get even better. I’m know nothing about State but i did stay in a Holiday Inn last night...

jv001
02-19-2020, 10:06 AM
I expect a tight game with these keys to winning for Duke:
1) Come out with energy. The team has not done this in all of the games.
2) Take care of the basketball. At times we have been sloppy with the ball. We can't do that against a hungry Wolfpack team.
3) Get back on defense. Don't get caught celebrating a made three or for that matter any shot made. And when Tre get's knocked down on a layup, someone please get back down court.
4) Alex, Joey, Jack and Matthew please take don't take forced, off balance threes.
5) Try to get the ball down low to Vernon. I know their big guy leads the league in blocked shots, but he can get in foul trouble guarding Vernon.

GoDuke1

Kedsy
02-19-2020, 10:09 AM
Here's my assessment:

At least two of ten players from Duke need to get hot from three territory.
Tre and Vernon need to continue to play at a high level.
Defense needs to be rock solid.

Are these too much to ask?

Yeah, but isn't this essentially what this year's Duke team has to do in every game?

sagegrouse
02-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Yeah, but isn't this essentially what this year's Duke team has to do in every game?

Yep. State is a good team in an up-and-down season. Business as usual, with decent outside shooting, will get it done.

I suppose are alternate weapon to Vernon, Tre and Three is the slashing of Wendell, Cassius, Alex and others. Like to see that too. While we don't "live and die" on the three-point shot, it would be great to have some other effective weapons.

PackMan97
02-19-2020, 01:35 PM
Q. How many Duke fans did it take to change a lightbulb?
A. One. They hold the lightbulb in the socket as the whole world revolves around them.

Q. How many NC State graduates does it take to change the lightbulb?
A. Five. In 1987 five graduates of NC State founded Cree Research which is a pioneer in Led manufacturing and design eventually leading to the Led lighting revolution.

--------

Happy game day, yall.

uh_no
02-19-2020, 01:44 PM
A. One. They hold the lightbulb in the socket as the whole world revolves around them.

A. Five. In 1987 five graduates of NC State founded Cree Research which is a pioneer in Led manufacturing and design eventually leading to the Led lighting revolution.

--------

Happy game day, yall.

Why I don't advocate hiring NCSU CS grads our software engineering roles:

Duke CS department: Computer Science
NCSU CS department: Crop Science

Source: https://www.cs.duke.edu/ http://catalog.ncsu.edu/undergraduate/coursedescriptions/cs/

:D

npdevil27
02-19-2020, 02:10 PM

--------

Happy game day, yall.

You know the old joke about how do you get the (insert name of school) fan off your doorstep - pay him for the pizza?

True story. 2002 season, Duke at Maryland, the game Blake stole the ball from JWill at the half. We had ordered a pizza from Papa John's I think. Pizza guy poked his head in and asked what's the score... we told him Maryland up by 10 at half or whatever it was. He was like ok thanks, I'm a State grad.

So yeah, it's funny cuz it's true.

jipops
02-19-2020, 04:49 PM
Unlike a few past games, not going to win this with 15+ turnovers. Keep those down and we should be ok.

ChillinDuke
02-19-2020, 05:06 PM
"need more than we do"? Always, but come on.

Come on with what?

A win for NC State puts them back in NCAAT consideration. A win for Duke does, well, not much. This game doesn't really change the balance of our season. Incentives matter, especially for young players that don't know how to consistently self-motivate. You hear Coach K say it all the time in press conferences (obviously, not as directly as I'm saying it).

- Chillin

Kedsy
02-19-2020, 05:32 PM
Unlike a few past games, not going to win this with 15+ turnovers. Keep those down and we should be ok.

For the season, our record with 15+ turnovers is 12-2; our record with fewer than 15 turnovers is 10-1.

If you raise it to 16+ turnovers, our record is 10-1; our record with fewer than 16 turnovers is 12-2.

Doesn't really seem like number of (offensive) turnovers has been the factor that determines whether we win or lose this season.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-19-2020, 06:18 PM
I have a Kedsy question:
Since say 1986 - what is our WL versus NC State when we were favored? (My hunch is that as a favorite, we've under-performed the odds against the Pack, but I have no hard numbers).

devildeac
02-19-2020, 06:41 PM
Three guys stranded on a desert island for years are walking along the beach and see a shiny object in the sand and, after brushing it off, a genie appears and grants them three wishes. Of course, it's a Duke fan, a Wolfpack faithful and a cheating sheep boy and they argue about who gets the first wish, can't decide so the highly irritated genie picks the "u"nc fan first because he w(h)ined the loudest and longest and said, "I really miss being in the Myth Center and my pitiful team needs me back to cheer them on so I wish I could be back in the Dome." "Your wish is my command," the genie replied and he disappears, being transported back to chappaheeya. Our Duke guy is selected next and he states, "I had a great time as a Cameron Crazy many years ago and I wish I was back in Section 17." The genie grants his wish and he disappears to courtside at CIS. The NCSU grad can't quite make up his mind and ponders out loud, "I sure miss those guys a lot already and wish they could be back here so I can tell them good-bye." The genie says, "Well, OK," and both other former inhabitants are re-united with their Triangle buddy...

CDu
02-19-2020, 06:55 PM
I have a Kedsy question:
Since say 1986 - what is our WL versus NC State when we were favored? (My hunch is that as a favorite, we've under-performed the odds against the Pack, but I have no hard numbers).

Well, in the previous 10 regular seasons, we have gone 8-5 against State. We are 3-0 against them in the ACCT in that span. I suspect we were favored in all of them. So, yes, I would venture that we have slightly underperformed over that stretch during the regular season. But overall, 11-5 is probably within reason.

That said, 4 of those 5 losses were in Raleigh, so I would definitely say we have underperformed on the road against State over the past 10 years.

Going back further, I would expect we did better, at least back to 1997. But that was a totally different era.

brevity
02-19-2020, 07:19 PM

I don't know how to determine when Duke was favored, but here are some data points from Sports Reference (http://cbbref.com/tiny/enz8w):

51-18 in all matchups since the 1986-1987 season (including ACC Tournaments)

43-12 when Duke is ranked and NC State is not ranked
4-4 when both are ranked, but Duke is ranked higher
0-0 when both are ranked, but NC State is ranked higher
0-0 when NC State is ranked and Duke is not ranked
4-2 when both are unranked

I would think that Duke is almost always favored when NC State is unranked or ranked lower.

uh_no
02-19-2020, 07:22 PM
Come on with what?

A win for NC State puts them back in NCAAT consideration. A win for Duke does, well, not much. This game doesn't really change the balance of our season. Incentives matter, especially for young players that don't know how to consistently self-motivate. You hear Coach K say it all the time in press conferences (obviously, not as directly as I'm saying it).

- Chillin
a loss doesn't mean much for ncsu, but it takes Duke out of the drivers seat for the one seed again.

jimsumner
02-19-2020, 07:25 PM
a loss doesn't mean much for ncsu, but it takes Duke out of the drivers seat for the one seed again.

State is very much on the NCAA bubble. A win over Duke would do wonders for their resume. They will be very, very motivated.

kako
02-19-2020, 07:41 PM
My 2 cents... IMO the key to the game will be how seriously Duke takes the blowout over ND. To me, that game was lightning in a bottle, this season's Duke blue harmonic convergence. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this team can be too fragile/inconsistent to be able to put back-to-back games together like that against similar competition. They need to know they have a challenge. If they can forget about what happened Saturday and just play to their potential as a team - good D, ball movement around the perimeter, get the ball into Carey, hit some 3s and do well from the line, it's a double-digit win. If they are starting to believe (once again) that they are entitled to the win, playing at RBC will knock them back. Duke is the better team on paper, but like many years that means nothing when playing State. It's all mental for this team.

9F

knicknut
02-19-2020, 07:47 PM
Why I don't advocate hiring NCSU CS grads our software engineering roles:

Duke CS department: Computer Science
NCSU CS department: Crop Science

Source: https://www.cs.duke.edu/ http://catalog.ncsu.edu/undergraduate/coursedescriptions/cs/

:D

points at Duke bench: CULTURE!
points at NCSU bench: AGRICULTURE!

OldPhiKap
02-19-2020, 07:51 PM

--------

Happy game day, yall.

Q: How many UNC fans does it take to change a light bulb?
A: All of them. One to change the bulb, and the rest to commiserate how much better the bulb was when Dean was coaching.

uh_no
02-19-2020, 08:10 PM
State is very much on the NCAA bubble. A win over Duke would do wonders for their resume. They will be very, very motivated.

no doubt. my only connection is with the belief that Duke doesn't have much to fight for. the regular season is in the sights. time to lock it up.

-jk
02-19-2020, 08:26 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=ccarc) to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Pghdukie
02-19-2020, 08:32 PM
A: All of them. One to change the bulb, and the rest to commiserate how much better the bulb was when Dean was coaching.

Only 1 cheat to change the bulb. The rest of the UNC alum are trying to read the directions. Some of the words have 2 syllables.

brevity
02-19-2020, 08:34 PM

Only 1 cheat to change the bulb. The rest of the UNC alum are trying to read the directions. Some of the words have 2 syllables.

No one changes the bulb, because UNC fans choose to remain in the dark.

PackMan97
02-19-2020, 08:38 PM

The one I know is....

A. All of them. One to change the light bulb, two to hang the banner in the Dean Dome celebrating the event and the rest to brag they did it better than Duke and State.

PackMan97
02-19-2020, 08:39 PM
points at Duke bench: CULTURE!
points at NCSU bench: AGRICULTURE!

Remember, without NCSU, y'all would be starving and naked!

Pghdukie
02-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Is Duke at full player strength during warmups

DavidBenAkiva
02-19-2020, 08:51 PM
Is Duke at full player strength during warmups

As far as I can tell.

Starers announced: Tre, Goldwire, Cassius, Hurt, and Vern

Steven43
02-19-2020, 09:11 PM
Down 10-1. Not an ideal start.

rsvman
02-19-2020, 09:11 PM
We're off to a good start...

dukelifer
02-19-2020, 09:13 PM
We're off to a good start...

Really awful basketball by Duke. State is having their way right now

ChillinDuke
02-19-2020, 09:14 PM
One team looks flat. One team looks zippy. Whodathunk.

Time to get revved up boys.

- Chillin

mattyoung18
02-19-2020, 09:14 PM
No Bilas that's at least 1 win.

Steven43
02-19-2020, 09:15 PM
Remember, without NCSU, y'all would be starving and naked!

And without NC State our team wouldn’t be down 12-2, thank you. Could you please get your boys to back off a little bit?

rsvman
02-19-2020, 09:24 PM
No Bilas that's at least 1 win.

But we got Uncle Fester! Not sure which is worse.

Steven43
02-19-2020, 09:27 PM
But we got Uncle Fester! Not sure which is worse.

Wait.....who?

CDu
02-19-2020, 09:32 PM
Wait....who?

Seth Greenberg.

rsvman
02-19-2020, 09:33 PM
They are making everything.

Not happy with all the missed free throws, either. Reminiscent of early in the season.

ChrisP
02-19-2020, 09:34 PM
I think we shoulda worn our baby blue uniforms - State ALWAYS rolls over for those. Jeez...it's one and done for us on O and Carey cannot finish around the rim. Granted, there's contact on many of those post moves that isn't called but...gotta play through it, big fella. And of course, State is shooting the lights out tonight. We just need to weather the storm and keep it around 10pts until halftime, I think.

ChillinDuke
02-19-2020, 09:43 PM
State looking a little out of control. If we could grab some loose balls and rebounds we may be able to rein this back in.

- Chillin

dukelifer
02-19-2020, 09:44 PM
I think we shoulda worn our baby blue uniforms - State ALWAYS rolls over for those. Jeez...it's one and done for us on O and Carey cannot finish around the rim. Granted, there's contact on many of those post moves that isn't called but...gotta play through it, big fella. And of course, State is shooting the lights out tonight. We just need to weather the storm and keep it around 10pts until halftime, I think.

Just a bad night so far. Hard to explain all the misses near the rim

fuse
Still plenty of time...feel like there has been an easy 12–14 points on missed layups that is the story so far along with an again porous defense.

C’mon- let’s go Duke!!!

Music man55
Well, this figures. State will roll over and lay an egg Sat.against Fla. St. They won't play this way again the remainder of the season. Only when Duke comes to town!

DU82
At the game. State is playing out of their minds right now. We’ve been sloppy and giving up too many drives. Cut it to single digits before half and regroup.

devildeac
02-19-2020, 09:47 PM
At the game. State is playing out of their minds right now. We’ve been sloppy and giving up too many drives. Cut it to single digits before half and regroup.

IOW, the usual when Duke comes to town and polar opposite of when the cheats play at the PNC :mad:.

luvdahops
02-19-2020, 09:48 PM
Wow. Brain farts all over the court by our guys.

dukelifer
02-19-2020, 09:49 PM

Horrible offensive night after a great night- not surprising

MarkD83
02-19-2020, 09:50 PM
Pass to the team in blue

duke4ever19
02-19-2020, 09:51 PM
State is leaving the door open, but we keep shutting it for them.

SCMatt33
02-19-2020, 09:52 PM

The energy is super low. Guys aren’t even looking at each other to acknowledge missed plays. But the teams been like this all year. This win streak has been built on getting away with a couple of these clunkers, most notably the BC game. Every tipped ball either ends up with state or out of bounds off of Duke. If Duke did nothing but grab defensive boards that hit their hands, this would be a one or two possession game. If Duke did nothing but make an average percentage of shots 10 feet and in, this would be a one or two possession game. Both, and Duke would be up.

Edit: realized it might not sound like what I meant. By like this all year, I meant that every few games, they come out really low energy like this

luvdahops
02-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Horrible offensive night after a great night- not surprising

Plenty of lost men and missed box outs in defense too. And missing jumpers and some errors of commission is certainly to be expected after that huge outburst against ND. But multiple misses at the rim and bonehead turnovers go well beyond that.

Tripping William
02-19-2020, 09:54 PM
What was I saying about 90% from three? FFS.

dukelifer
Plenty of lost men and missed box outs in defense too. And missing jumpers and some errors of commission is certainly to be expected after that huge outburst against ND. But multiple misses at the rim and bonehead turnovers go well beyond that.

It is bad right now- let’s see if they can turn it around

duke4ever19
Lol that would go in.

simplyluvin
That was the game winner. We’ve seen that before. Why this team has trouble with the start of games is really puzzling.

rsvman
Isn't that just perfect?

WakeDevil
02-19-2020, 09:55 PM
Someone cue Don Meredith. Duke is headed west, maybe to the left coast.

DU82
02-19-2020, 09:55 PM
Lol that would go in.

All we could do is laugh and be thankful the half is over.

dukelifer
02-19-2020, 09:56 PM
Spotted them 15 points. Will need another miracle finish.

devildeac
What was I saying about 90% from three? FFS.

Only 67% :rolleyes::mad:.

duke4ever19
That was the game winner. We’ve seen that before. Why this team has trouble with the start of games is really puzzling.

Whoopsie, it's halftime. 2nd half still to go.

ChillinDuke
02-19-2020, 09:57 PM
I'm not too honorable to say it: told ya so.

We need to find a way back into this. I'm not sure why but we are flat. We are getting beaten to every rebound and loose ball. Not grabbing the rock with both hands. Tre is pissed. Wendell looks like he knows he missed a bunch of plays, Alex seemed like it too. Cassius too at one point. But time to stop acknowledging poor play and fixing it.

That last heave was a real gut punch.

- Chillin

ChrisP
02-19-2020, 09:57 PM
This might just be "one of THOSE games". I cannot think of many more things that could go wrong for us and right for State. This is RIDICULOUS right now, as evidenced by Goldwire's totally inept reverse layup attempt that ended up with him blocking his own shot with the rim and then ending up on his rear end AND State's half court heave that went in :(

Well...I hope we play better and at least shoot better in the 2nd half and I'm gonna hope they shoot a lot worse! This felt like a winnable game until about 9:03pm tonight - ugh!!!

rsvman
02-19-2020, 09:58 PM
Whoopsie, it's halftime. 2nd half still to go.

Pretty sure he knows that.

We have seen situations where a shot like that ends up being the difference when it's all said and done.

devildeac
This might just be "one of THOSE games". I cannot think of many more things that could go wrong for us and right for State. This is RIDICULOUS right now, as evidenced by Goldwire's totally inept reverse layup attempt that ended up with him blocking his own shot with the rim and then ending up on his rear end AND State's half court heave that went in :(

Well...I hope we play better and at least shoot better in the 2nd half and I'm gonna hope they shoot a lot worse! This felt like a winnable game until about 9:03pm tonight - ugh!!!

Well, at least it wasn't an 80 foot heave :rolleyes::mad:.

MarkD83
My 2 cents... IMO the key to the game will be how seriously Duke takes the blowout over ND. To me, that game was lightning in a bottle, this season's Duke blue harmonic convergence. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this team can be too fragile/inconsistent to be able to put back-to-back games together like that against similar competition. They need to know they have a challenge. If they can forget about what happened Saturday and just play to their potential as a team - good D, ball movement around the perimeter, get the ball into Carey, hit some 3s and do well from the line, it's a double-digit win. If they are starting to believe (once again) that they are entitled to the win, playing at RBC will knock them back. Duke is the better team on paper, but like many years that means nothing when playing State. It's all mental for this team.

9F

You are a prophet

CDu
Well, the Markell Johnson everyone expected coming into the season arrived in the first half. He has soundly outplayed Tre Jones. That and our inability to handle ball screens is a big part of why we are losing. Giving away terrible turnovers is why we are losing badly.

The good news is that State is mercurial. They go on runs both ways. So we are far from out of it. But man do we have to play better in the second half. That was just an awful performance in the first.

ChillinDuke
02-19-2020, 10:00 PM
Well, the Markell Johnson everyone expected coming into the season arrived in the first half. He has soundly outplayed Tre Jones. That and our inability to handle ball screens is a big part of why we are losing. Giving away terrible turnovers is why we are losing badly.

The good news is that State is mercurial. They go on runs both ways. So we are far from out of it. But man do we have to play better in the second half. That was just an awful performance in the first.

I'll take mercurial. About all I can latch onto right now...

- Chillin

Kjeffrey
02-19-2020, 10:01 PM
Completely predictable performance by NC State. it's concerning Duke wasn't more ready. Missed shots are one thing but a lack of hustle and effort are disappointing.

cbarry
02-19-2020, 10:01 PM
I’m at the game. Duke did not come to play tonight. Nobody is playing well.
This is a really embarrassing performance, especially after we’ve been playing so well. Very disappointing loss.

heyman25
02-19-2020, 10:03 PM
That whole half was a bad joke. How not to play basketball.The leader Jones made so many bad decisions. Noone played well. Do not understand how the team could be so poorly prepared nearly every possesion. 3 possessions 3 turnovers seriously.

CDu
02-19-2020, 10:04 PM
I’m at the game. Duke did not come to play tonight. Nobody is playing well.
This is a really embarrassing performance, especially after we’ve been playing so well. Very disappointing loss.

Really? How many times do we have to come back and win before you stop posting concessions midway through. Someday you’ll learn maybe?

CDu
02-19-2020, 10:05 PM
Completely predictable performance by NC State. it's concerning Duke wasn't more ready. Missed shots are one thing but a lack of hustle and effort are disappointing.

I don’t think it has been a lack of effort. It has been a lack of focus and poise at times, but not a lack of effort.

stingy
02-19-2020, 10:05 PM
This reminds me of the SFA game in which it was almost comical how everything went wrong. The only bright spot is that it’s 90’s night here so they did Double Dare and Legends of the Hidden Temple games during breaks.

duke4ever19
02-19-2020, 10:08 PM
Pretty sure he knows that.

We have seen situations where a shot like that ends up being the difference when it's all said and done.

What if I told you that I knew that the entire time! Dunh dunh dunh!

Anway, I just asked my Magic 8-ball if Duke would win and it said, "As again later." I'm feeling super optimistic about asking later.

Saratoga2
02-19-2020, 10:09 PM
NC State game plan appears to be use their guards to drive to the basket and score in that way. That has been effective. Success breeds confidence and now they are hitting 3's. Duke has made lazy passes, missed Fts, not boxed and and have been beaten to the ball. Missing a lot of shots.

Nothing from Hurt, mostly negative and careless from Moore, DeLaurier play has been poor, looks to be too much for Baker and White tonight.

Who do they go to in the second half? Tre, Vernon and Cassius? Hurt again and who? Defense from Jordan but bad offense. Alex seemed to have energy but missed shots and they made a bonehead pass. Still, he looked better than some of the alternatives. Moore needs someone to shake him out of the freshman like foolish play syndrome. The kid has talent but tries to force too much.

rsvman
Virtually no contribution from Hurt or Stanley. That's not going to work going forward.

MCFinARL
I don’t think it has been a lack of effort. It has been a lack of focus and poise at times, but not a lack of effort.

Agree. They are expending a lot of energy but it seems scattered and unproductive.

DUKIE V(A)
We are playing a lot like State has been lately so far. Talented but ... Not smart. Not disciplined. Not together. Hope we can turn it around.

Play defense.
Grab all balls with two hands.
Shoot to Score. Not to Shoot.

Music man55
02-19-2020, 10:10 PM
Duke just seems to me that they are flying down the court with no purpose, just playing reckless. Just very sloppy basketball
Don't know what has got into them. Just a bad half.

rsvman
02-19-2020, 10:12 PM
2-9 free throws!!!

dukelion
02-19-2020, 10:16 PM
Not sure I've ever heard Greenberg happier

Bluedog
02-19-2020, 10:17 PM
2-9 free throws!!!

2-11 now... Everything they're throwing up is going in too.

Need a Louisville comeback now. Time to press with four guards.

Ballboy1998
02-19-2020, 10:18 PM
Wow, getting run out of the gym.

rsvman
02-19-2020, 10:18 PM
This is the worst we've played all year. The SFA game looks like a highlight reel compared with this.

ChillinDuke
02-19-2020, 10:19 PM
Some of these shots they're making aren't even real though.

- Chillin

arnie
Agree. They are expending a lot of energy but it seems scattered and unproductive.

I don’t know about this; if you don’t like “lack of effort” maybe try passive. No focus either, and even the FTs aren’t close to falling.

DUKIE V(A)

Drives me crazy that he always likes to “coach” the Duke opponent up during the game. Perhaps it should be taken as a compliment, but it is maddening.

Kjeffrey
02-19-2020, 10:20 PM
Virtually no contribution from Hurt or Stanley. That's not going to work going forward.

Why isn't Stanley playing?

devildeac

Gotta be someway we can make his life miserable. Maybe send him a picture of a child blowing bubbles.

wavedukefan70s
Some of these shots they're making aren't even real though.

- Chillin

Playing bad .thier making circus shots.
Not good.

DUKIE V(A)
02-19-2020, 10:24 PM
Mike Eades. Strikes...Again.

ChillinDuke
Flagrant 1 there is just silly. They had the ball. Play on.

- Chillin

bundabergdevil
On the one hand, there’s still plenty of time. On the other, mama also said there’d be days like this.

duke4ever19
02-19-2020, 10:25 PM
Mike Eades. Strikes...Again.

Just when I felt the momentum shift.

SouthernDukie
02-19-2020, 10:25 PM
Just hoping we can make it respectable. At least finish strong. Thought Coach K might purposely take a tech to try and make a point.

Bluedog
02-19-2020, 10:26 PM
Flagrant 1 there is just silly. They had the ball. Play on.

- Chillin

Yeah that was a ridiculous call. I'm guessing if they had called a normal foul on Carey it wouldn't have been flagrant. Sometimes the flagrant calls have gotten out of hand with any contact to the face.

DUKIECB
02-19-2020, 10:28 PM
Signs of life? Or wishful thinking?

duke4ever19
02-19-2020, 10:28 PM
Hmmmm . . . .

Billy Dat
02-19-2020, 10:29 PM
This is the worst we've played all year. The SFA game looks like a highlight reel compared with this.

I agree, but these recent signs of life give me hope. Plenty of time, we are starting to get stops, they have had way past their allotment of miracles - let’s go!

DU82
02-19-2020, 10:30 PM
Yeah that was a ridiculous call. I'm guessing if they had called a normal foul on Carey it wouldn't have been flagrant. Sometimes the flagrant calls have gotten out of hand with any contact to the face.

Once they went to the monitor, they couldn’t call a common foul. Didn’t see the angle with Funderburk facing the camera; from the other side it looked like Vernon’s hand went below his head.

ChillinDuke
Plenty of time. Tre Jones is special. He is literally the definition of putting the team on his back. Win or lose, you love that.

- Chillin

rsvman
Really wishing we had some of those missed layups and free throws back right about now. Not to mention the half court shot at the end of the first half.
Probably too much to overcome. It takes a lot of energy to claw back from these big deficits.

On the other hand, Louisville last season.....

DU82
02-19-2020, 10:31 PM
At least Keats calls a timeout in those situations

DUKIECB
02-19-2020, 10:32 PM
4-14 from the line. Good grief.

rsvman
02-19-2020, 10:33 PM
4-14 from the line. Good grief.

This.

SavDukeGrad
Really wishing we had some of those missed layups and free throws back right about now. Not to mention the half court shot at the end of the first half.
Probably too much to overcome. It takes a lot of energy to claw back from these big deficits.

On the other hand, Louisville last season...

I would feel better if we had Zion and RJ...

SouthernDukie
If we can’t complete the comeback the missed bunnies and FTs will be the difference.

Bluedog
Once they went to the monitor, they couldn’t call a common foul. Didn’t see the angle with Funderburk facing the camera; from the other side it looked like Vernon’s hand went below his head.

Right I understand that. Given they couldn't call a common foul on review, they went with the flagrant. My prediction was that if they had called a common foul in live action, they would have stuck with that call. Either way, seemed just trying to get position and not excessive.

CDu

I think Carey wound up poking Funderburk in the mouth. But only because Funderburk was bent over. A really harsh call of the flagrant.

Bluedog
02-19-2020, 10:34 PM
I would feel better if we had Zion and RJ...

We still have Goldwire...

DUKIECB
02-19-2020, 10:35 PM
Outside of Tre and Carey no one has more than 4 points. Someone needs to step up.

SavDukeGrad
02-19-2020, 10:39 PM
Ugh. We had several chances to get it to single digits. And didn’t. Let’s Go Duke!

WHOneedsSOX
02-19-2020, 10:42 PM
I really like Goldwire, his game is like mine, and like my game, he needs to stop shooting. He's taken some poorly timed shots today.

rsvman
02-19-2020, 10:42 PM
Too little, too late. Outplayed completely out of the gate.

SavDukeGrad
02-19-2020, 10:43 PM
This would be a 3 point game if we had hit all our free throws. Sigh

ChillinDuke
02-19-2020, 10:44 PM
We got a little out of control here. Might stunt the comeback and polish us off.

- Chillin

Billy Dat
02-19-2020, 10:45 PM
Ugh. We had several chances to get it to single digits. And didn’t. Let’s Go Duke!

Yeah, we took a few bad shots when we had a chance to get it under 10. We really couldn’t afford to let them push it back to 15. Anything can happen, UNC game proved that, but it feels like we missed our chance.

SouthernDukie

Yep. Don’t think a comeback is in the cards tonight. Against UNC we were shooting great from the line. Tonight, absolutely horrible. Can’t comeback shooting that poorly.

duke4ever19

You have the rhyme, but the meter is a mess.

rsvman
This would be a 3 point game if we had hit all our free throws. Sigh

And if we made half our missed layups, and stopped fumbling rebounds out of bounds, we'd be ahead by ten.

arnie
02-19-2020, 10:46 PM
I really like Goldwire, his game is like mine, and like my game, he needs to stop shooting. He's taken some poorly timed shots today.

He’s reverted back to the Freshman Goldwire tonite. He and Hurt have had rough games.

bluedev_92
Been getting killed on switching w/ their bigs. Would like to see Tre stay on his man & fight through the pick...

CDu
If we lose, it will be because we just gave away too many points. And then both our point guards tried to heroball us back with some ill-advised shots. Jones hit a bunch in that run, but he has played with a lack of poise tonight.

If we hadn’t been so bad from the line and so I poised in the first half, we are probably winning right now. But now it is a really uphill battle the rest of the way.

SouthernDukie
And if we made half our missed layups, and stopped fumbling rebounds out of bounds, we'd be ahead by ten.

That’s the worst of it. We really could easily be up 10 only playing average.

AZLA
02-19-2020, 10:48 PM
Start the bus.

dukelifer
02-19-2020, 10:50 PM
If we lose, it will be because we just gave away too many points. And then both our point guards tried to heroball us back with some ill-advised shots. Jones hit a bunch in that run, but he has played with a lack of poise tonight.

If we hadn’t been so bad from the line and so I poised in the first half, we are probably winning right now. But now it is a really uphill battle the rest of the way.

Well this will either get their attention or be confidence deflating. They are playing like a very young team tonight- K will not be happy but sometimes you are just not prepared to fight hard against a motivated team. Regroup and come back strong next game.

rsvman
02-19-2020, 10:52 PM
This is a stinker. Officially.

CDu
02-19-2020, 10:53 PM
Well this will either get their attention or be confidence deflating. They are playing like a very young team tonight- K will not be happy but sometimes you are just not prepared to fight hard against a motivated team. Regroup and come back strong next game.

I think the other concerning thing is that they have really exposed our bigs in ball screens. All of them. That will need to be worked on.

WHOneedsSOX
02-19-2020, 10:53 PM
Yikes what an ugly game. Good thing it doesn't mean much.

Dub
02-19-2020, 10:55 PM
When Jordan Goldwire has the third most shot attempts on a team that’s legit 10 deep, we’re going to lose more than we’re going to win. I like what he brings in defensive spurts but he shouldn’t be playing 25+ mins a game IMO. K’s a HOF and I’m not but I don’t get it.

Also, if this team is going to rely on Tre and Vernon shooting 40 times a game while Matt Hurt has 2 shot attempts, what’s the point of having so much depth. I’m frustrated because this is how you lose in the 1st weekend of the big tourney. Hopefully K will balance the offense more moving forward.

mattman91

Doesn't mean much?

Perhaps if you don't care about a number one seed or ACC regular season championship. This is NOT a meaningless game.

rsvman

And it can only count as one loss, even though it feels like two or three.

devildeac
02-19-2020, 10:57 PM

Except going a long way to pissing away a regular season acc championship and a #1 seed.

CDu

Well, assuming things hold as is tonight, it might mean we fail to win the ACC regular season and top seed in the ACCT, and it might cost us a shot at a 1 seed in the NCAA tourney. Seems big.

DUKIE V(A)
When Jordan Goldwire has the third most shot attempts on a team that’s legit 10 deep, we’re going to lose more than we’re going to win. I like what he brings in defensive spurts but he shouldn’t be playing 25+ mins a game IMO. K’s a HOF and I’m not but I don’t get it.

If this team is going to rely on Tre and Vernon shooting 40 times a game while Matt Hurt has 2 shot attempts, what’s the point of having so much depth. I’m frustrated because this is how you lose in the 1st weekend of the big tourney. Hopefully K will balance the offense more moving forward.

Disagree. Goldwire is tough and plays great defense. He is an energy guy with an improved shot. Helps keep Tre fresher by doing some ball handling and guarding the best guy.

SouthernDukie
Doesn't mean much?

Perhaps if you don't care about a number one seed or ACC regular season championship. This is NOT a meaningless game.

Yep. It means a lot. Now it’s on to VTech.

WHOneedsSOX
02-19-2020, 10:58 PM
Doesn't mean much?

You're right. But ACC tournament championship means more in my opinion.

duke4ever19
02-19-2020, 10:58 PM
Zion needs to be on-call for all of our games. His absence behind the bench, really let the team down tonight.

Acymetric
02-19-2020, 10:59 PM
WTF did I just watch?

CDu
02-19-2020, 11:00 PM
You're right. But ACC tournament championship means more in my opinion.

And our path in the ACC tourney and NCAA tourney just got harder.

simplyluvin
02-19-2020, 11:01 PM
This game and the last are as Jeckyll and Hyde as I’ve ever seen in a two game span. We really have to start better, or we will not be a second weekend team, much less competing for a title. This game is not a game we should overreact to, but we have to be better. SF Austin and Louisville should have been those learning moments, but it just seems like we revert to this young, mentally weak game.

gofurman
02-19-2020, 11:01 PM
Johnson 3s. horrible FTs. It happens