PDA

View Full Version : All-Star weekend banter

moonpie23
02-14-2020, 09:18 PM
introductions for the "rising stars" game......Zion's applause dwarfs everyone elses....on either team...

tran·scend·ent
/ˌtran(t)ˈsend(ə)nt/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
beyond or above the range of normal or merely physical human experience.
"the search for a transcendent level of knowledge"
surpassing the ordinary; exceptional.
"the conductor was described as a “transcendent genius.”"
Similar:
superior
supreme
consummate
predominant
preeminent
ascendant
paramount
superlative
unique
unsurpassed
incomparable
unrivaled
unequaled
unparalleled
matchless
peerless
second to none
excellent
excelling
great
magnificent
Opposite:
average
mediocre
(of God) existing apart from and not subject to the limitations of the material universe.
Similar:
supernatural
preternatural
transcendental
otherworldly

bundabergdevil
02-14-2020, 09:42 PM
Nice to see RJ and WCJ out there, too.

Game is awful as usual right now.

bundabergdevil
02-14-2020, 09:54 PM
Hah. RJ with the intentional foul of Zion to prevent the runaway dunk.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-14-2020, 10:13 PM
Snowpiercer TV show?

bundabergdevil
02-14-2020, 10:14 PM
Grant Hill was getting some serious halftime ribbing for his performance enhanced hairline.

And Zion broke the backboard apparently.

dukejim1
02-14-2020, 10:25 PM
As they were transitioning off halftime I heard Grant tell Steve Nash that he played a little bit like Bobby Hurley.

bundabergdevil
02-14-2020, 10:59 PM
RJ with 27 in the US v. World Rising Stars game. High man. Zion didn't do much except dunk a few times, including 3 dunk misses in garbage (well, the whole game is garbage) time at the end. Zion seemed to be embarrassed to be given the ball and a clear lane 3 times in a row.

plimnko
02-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Grant Hill was getting some serious halftime ribbing for his performance enhanced hairline.

And Zion broke the backboard apparently.

https://sports.yahoo.com/zion-williamson-dunk-bent-rim-backboard-basket-crooked-rising-stars-all-star-weekend-033750402.html

bundabergdevil
02-15-2020, 09:44 PM
I’m very interested in seeing Dwight and Pat in the dunk contest.

I do not understand why DJ Khalid or whatever is a person people hire to do things.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-15-2020, 09:58 PM
I’m very interested in seeing Dwight and Pat in the dunk contest.

I do not understand why DJ Khalid or whatever is a person people hire to do things.
Connaughton with the homage to White Men Can’t Jump!

bundabergdevil
02-15-2020, 10:10 PM
Connaughton with the homage to White Men Can’t Jump!

Hah. Woody better have him over for that homage.

Can’t believe the Bucks let him dunk over Giannis.

bundabergdevil
02-15-2020, 10:24 PM
Aaron Gordon with one of the best dunks I’ve ever seen. Wow. This is a solid contest.

bundabergdevil
02-15-2020, 10:32 PM
Aaron Gordon with one of the best dunks I’ve ever seen. Wow. This is a solid contest.

And then he dunked over Tacko Fall. Tacko. Fall.

And booing in the building because he didn’t win!

What a dunk contest!

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-15-2020, 10:37 PM
Kenny Smith sounded bitter all throughout. He must have been checking the score at the dump.

mph
02-15-2020, 10:41 PM
Gordon got jobbed. Crazy he didn’t win.

I’d love to see LaVine, Gordon, Jones, and Zion next year.

bundabergdevil
02-15-2020, 10:51 PM

Yeah, nothing against Jones but Gordon has fielded some of the best, most creative and athletic dunks when he's been it. The Tacko Fall dunk should have taken the cake but I thought this one was just incredible and the best dunk of the nigh (https://twitter.com/NoGamePaul/status/1228884149118914560)t.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-15-2020, 11:02 PM
Yeah, nothing against Jones but Gordon has fielded some of the best, most creative and athletic dunks when he's been it. The Tacko Fall dunk should have taken the cake but I thought this one was just incredible and the best dunk of the nigh (https://twitter.com/NoGamePaul/status/1228884149118914560)t.
It was awesome. It reminded me a lot of this dunk by Zion... from high school:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Born_Luckyy/status/848028330863587328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5E tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-36689220491840234435.ampproject.net%2F200211203743 0%2Fframe.html

A-Tex Devil
02-15-2020, 11:22 PM
So maybe it’s because I can’t dunk and don’t understand the nuance about what is difficult and what isn’t, but I don’t understand why Gordon’s side of backboard on-handed dunk was so transcendent?

Native
02-15-2020, 11:49 PM

This. Gordon, LaVine, and Zion alone would be a huge ratings draw. If I’m TNT I’m already calling their agents.

duke96
02-15-2020, 11:57 PM
Anyone else see some serious parallels between RJ and Zion in the rising stars game and our team last year?

bundabergdevil
02-16-2020, 09:10 AM
So maybe it’s because I can’t dunk and don’t understand the nuance about what is difficult and what isn’t, but I don’t understand why Gordon’s side of backboard on-handed dunk was so transcendent?

Don't think the judges have any specific scoring criteria but imagine they'd be guided by things like level of difficulty, power, etc. Hopefully Wade, Parker, and Pippen would know what's more difficult and what's not. For me, this dunk had a lot he had to do --- catch it, catch it one handed, 360, windmill, and do most of it blind. That's a lot of moving parts. It was also a beautiful, athletic dunk and (I think) original for dunk contests. I guess the judges meant for it to be a tie again but, you know, math is hard.

This is how CBSSports described it:
(https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-dunk-contest-2020-ranking-top-eight-slams-from-derrick-jones-jr-and-aaron-gordons-epic-battle/)
On a night full of spectacular dunks, this, to me, was the one that truly blew everyone away. There is so much to this dunk. It's not the first time we've seen someone go off the side of the backboard, but to catch it from well outside the restricted area and execute not just a 360, but a full windmill 360, is incredible. Throw in the fact that he was blind most of the time he was in the air on this dunk, meaning he had to pick up the rim, lose it, then relocate it at the last second, and that's another layer of difficulty. And finally to finish it with this kind of power after all those moving parts? Nothing topped this on Saturday night.

AZLA
02-16-2020, 06:46 PM
Hah. RJ with the intentional foul of Zion to prevent the runaway dunk.

RJ holding Zion back again

moonpie23
02-16-2020, 08:29 PM
ingram and tatum's first All Star game....

jacone21
02-16-2020, 08:32 PM
With this pre-game, the players are going to have to warm up again.

moonpie23
02-16-2020, 09:01 PM
worst anthem rendition ......

bundabergdevil
02-16-2020, 09:10 PM
RJ holding Zion back again

Whoa. That escalated quickly.

bundabergdevil
02-16-2020, 09:13 PM
ingram and tatum's first All Star game...

Both getting some nice burn, too.

All the players play a different style of ball for the All Star game. Except Harden. His regular game is pretty much the same as his All Star game, just a bit faster.

bundabergdevil
02-16-2020, 09:29 PM
Box scores are having trouble adapting to the new All Star game format. So am I. Will there be a MVP for each quarter mini-game?

bundabergdevil
02-17-2020, 09:25 AM
The all star game and new format ended up being a blast. The two teams played HARD the final two quarters. There were charges taken and called, challenges, players arguing with the refs, and pretty good basketball. Most competitive All Star game in as ong as I can remember.

Congrats to our guy Adam Silver, he continues to be the best commish in US sports.

moonpie23
02-17-2020, 10:29 AM
went str8 to bed when the brow sank the 2nd FT.......wow.....that was the greatest sport on the planet, played by the greatest athletes on the planet...

question....(rhetorical) why can't lebron have CP3?

JNort
02-17-2020, 07:16 PM
went str8 to bed when the brow sank the 2nd FT....wow....that was the greatest sport on the planet, played by the greatest athletes on the planet...

question...(rhetorical) why can't lebron have CP3?

Most underrated comment.

ice-9
02-18-2020, 08:40 AM
The roster selection wasn't the greatest though in the fourth quarter.

Why was Kyle Lowry on the floor for Team Giannis? He was undersized and was facing a mismatch every time, charges notwithstanding. And let's face it, those charges were 50-50 calls.

Team LeBron also made a mistake IMO having Harden on the floor. He doesn't pass and nearly lost the game for them.

JNort
02-18-2020, 09:11 AM

Why was Kyle Lowry on the floor for Team Giannis? He was undersized and was facing a mismatch every time, charges notwithstanding. And let's face it, those charges were 50-50 calls.

Team LeBron also made a mistake IMO having Harden on the floor. He doesn't pass and nearly lost the game for them.

Strangely though Lowry was the only guard who was ready and didn't freak out "in the moment". I am certain that and his coach being their coach led to the trust. Kemba collapsed in the 4th and Trae wasn't gonna be given the reins.

Giannis (It appears to me anyway) had a method for his roster selection. He tried to get people who were known for their attitude or dedication towards winning.

flyingdutchdevil
02-18-2020, 09:16 AM

The media often jokes that Kyle Lowry is the antithesis of the All-Star game: a player who is all substance trying to look cool in game built for style. It just doesn't work for Lowry, even though Lowry is a stud.

The 4th quarter in this new All-Star format? That's built for pitbulls like Lowry. If the game is on the line either offensively or defensively, I want Lowry on my side. Makes sense that he would be on the floor during the only competitive part of the game.

ice-9
02-18-2020, 10:03 AM
The media often jokes that Kyle Lowry is the antithesis of the All-Star game: a player who is all substance trying to look cool in game built for style. It just doesn't work for Lowry, even though Lowry is a stud.

The 4th quarter in this new All-Star format? That's built for pitbulls like Lowry. If the game is on the line either offensively or defensively, I want Lowry on my side. Makes sense that he would be on the floor during the only competitive part of the game.

They lost because he was on the floor though. If the charges were called the other way the game would've ended much earlier.

At this level and for just one quarter, it's not just about attitude, it's about talent, team fit and matchups.

bundabergdevil
02-18-2020, 10:40 AM
They lost because he was on the floor though. If the charges were called the other way the game would've ended much earlier.

At this level and for just one quarter, it's not just about attitude, it's about talent, team fit and matchups.

It was a 1 point game that either team could have won earlier if a few more shots fell. Doesn’t seem like we can draw a ton of conclusions...that’s why play-offs are best of 7.

JNort
02-18-2020, 04:43 PM

They were barely in it because of him. Kemba almost took them out of it and Trae didn't have the trust... Or defense.

ice-9
02-18-2020, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't have had either Kemba or Trae in the closing line-up -- the match-up issues on defense would persist.

If I was Team Giannis I'd go with...

Giannis
Embiid
Butler
Siakam
Middleton

And have the ball in Butler's hands most of the time with the idea of passing to either Giannis (primarily) or Embiid (secondarily). Giannis didn't touch the ball nearly enough toward the end.

AZLA
02-18-2020, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't have had either Kemba or Trae in the closing line-up -- the match-up issues on defense would persist.

If I was Team Giannis I'd go with...

Giannis
Embiid
Butler
Siakam
Middleton

And have the ball in Butler's hands most of the time with the idea of passing to either Giannis (primarily) or Embiid (secondarily). Giannis didn't touch the ball nearly enough toward the end.

Next year they should not know who the team captains are until game time during a reveal on live TV. Then on live TV and in front of the crowd the Two team captains Stand with all the nba all stars in front of them and just like a pickup game they have to alternate picks and select until the last man is selected. Of course have it all miked up so you get the banter and arguing and reactions when someone like CP3 is picked last. If he pouts and storms off the court because over hurt feelings even better!

Then during the game fans get to weigh in on app to vote for someone on the winning team to trade to the losing team but then the winning captain gets his pick for a replacement.

I’m telling you the ratings would be off the charts and the most watched game ever.

Dunk contest needs a real time fan mobile voting option for the 5th vote. If there’s a tie it goes to cumulative.

Dang, running the NBA would be a cakewalk...