PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bilas’ Current Assessment of Duke’s Chances in the Tournament

Steven43
02-13-2020, 10:37 AM
In an ESPN article today Jay said the following about our Blue Devils:
Tre Jones was renamed "Tre Stones" after his mind-blowing second-half and overtime performance at North Carolina. By the way, Duke-Carolina always delivers. Jones was the first player to put up 28 points, 5 assists and 5 rebounds in this rivalry since Michael Jordan did it in 1983, and no player will ever duplicate the "bullet off the rim and chase it down" play to send the game to overtime. Stones, indeed. Duke is far from perfect, but close enough that it can reach Atlanta and win there. With Wendell Moore Jr. back and healthy, Duke has five athletes and handlers it can use at the same time, and that will serve the Blue Devils well.

moonpie23
02-13-2020, 10:41 AM
i was surprised that he didn't have the cheats on the 2nd tier...

bundabergdevil
02-13-2020, 10:41 AM
Has the Jay Bilas thread even scabbed over yet?

Steven43
02-13-2020, 10:47 AM
Has the Jay Bilas thread even scabbed over yet?

This is part of the healing process. 😊

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-13-2020, 10:57 AM

Kudos to you, good sir.

Fair and balanced.

weezie
02-13-2020, 11:14 AM

Actually, Jay Bilas should be pinned to the header in between Forum Actions and Quick Links. Save some time.

johnb
02-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Actually, Jay Bilas should be pinned to the header in between Forum Actions and Quick Links. Save some time.

Jay's perspective on the proposal:

"They've been discussing the change [giving me my own Header] forever, but it's been a slow drip of chaos. DBR makes its own rules, and their rules are bad. That’s been pointed out forever, but the people in charge [of DBR] deny the possibility or actually they deny having a denial, as if there's a code of silence within DBR that prevents the public from knowing what's going on, even if they know exactly what they want to do.

“Now you have JD King saying the system [of DBR Header naming rights] is broken. What, JD, Jim, and the rest of them didn't know the system was broken until now? I've been discussing the Header issue with them since Justise Winslow was in middle school. The system’s been broken forever, so it’s disingenuous for them to argue that they are only now getting around to giving me my own Header.

"Basically, the current concern [over my Header] has been brewing for years. It's been called an 'existential threat' to the web site, that it's going to ruin everything to provide a Header to one person, as if it doesn't matter that the one person is also the VIP of all alumni, past and future. They worry that I'll take over and drop DBR under my media umbrella, but their abandonment of any form of principle is frankly embarrassing.

"They don't step forward and do the right thing. DBR does what it always does. They react. They react to the state and federal governments. They react to the NCAA. The react to their own shadows. Not often enough do they react to their readership--which obviously wants to support the Header Initiative--but instead they stall as long as possible, and then say, 'look at what we're doing.'"

"It is, Bilas concluded, "pathetic."

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-13-2020, 12:54 PM

"They've been discussing the change [giving me my own Header] forever, but it's been a slow drip of chaos. DBR makes its own rules, and their rules are bad. That’s been pointed out forever, but the people in charge [of DBR] deny the possibility or actually they deny having a denial, as if there's a code of silence within DBR that prevents the public from knowing what's going on, even if they know exactly what they want to do.

“Now you have JD King saying the system [of DBR Header naming rights] is broken. What, JD, Jim, and the rest of them didn't know the system was broken until now? I've been discussing the Header issue with them since Justise Winslow was in middle school. The system’s been broken forever, so it’s disingenuous for them to argue that they are only now getting around to giving me my own Header.

"Basically, the current concern [over my Header] has been brewing for years. It's been called an 'existential threat' to the web site, that it's going to ruin everything to provide a Header to one person, as if it doesn't matter that the one person is also the VIP of all alumni, past and future. They worry that I'll take over and drop DBR under my media umbrella, but their abandonment of any form of principle is frankly embarrassing.

"They don't step forward and do the right thing. DBR does what it always does. They react. They react to the state and federal governments. They react to the NCAA. The react to their own shadows. Not often enough do they react to their readership--which obviously wants to support the Header Initiative--but instead they stall as long as possible, and then say, 'look at what we're doing.'"

This ought to be the last post here ever allowed to reference JB.

Sporks.

OldPhiKap
02-13-2020, 01:00 PM

This is genius. All we need to add is a bit where Jay gushes about how IC is better, although my keyboard will not allow me to type it even in jest.

Saratoga2
02-13-2020, 01:01 PM
I think Bill Parcell said, You're only as good as your record says you are. If thats an indication Duke is pretty darn good. What's the reality?

All teams have warts and are beatable. Duke is no exception. To list a few:

1. We are young in experience, featuring relying on 4 freshmen and 1 sophomore with very limited playing time his freshmen year. We see the inexperience at times but at least we have very talented freshmen.

2. Our more experienced players are somewhat one dimensional with the exception of Tre who has blossomed this season.

3. Teams that spread us out can get by us for easy twos and teams have found they get be effective beating our defense down the floor.

4. Teams that pack it in can limit Vernon's effectiveness and also can force a lot of turnovers when our offense tries to force it in or dribbles into a crowd.

So, while Duke is very good, we can be beaten by any number of teams who have hot shooting nights and catch Duke in one of their flat periods. In the tournament, that can be the end of the season. For the remainder of the season, a lot of games will be an adventure. Lets hope that the team continues to improve against the likes of Notre Dame and on.

There are good signs of improvement in foul shooting, Jordan's play, Alex coming out of a funk, Moore also reducing his errors while showing real value, Hurt understanding and dealing with the physicality of the game and Javin understanding his role and playing it better of late.

Kedsy
02-13-2020, 01:35 PM
Moore also reducing his errors while showing real value

I agree that Wendell has shown he's a valuable player, particularly on defense. But I'm not sure he's reducing his errors -- his TO% (an alarming 25.5%) is the same in conference play as it is in non-conference play (and his TOs/40 (4.4/40) is the same since coming back from injury as it was before), and his eFG% is only marginally better (.467 before the injury and .479 after the injury).

wsb3
02-13-2020, 01:48 PM
I agree that Wendell has shown he's a valuable player, particularly on defense. But I'm not sure he's reducing his errors -- his TO% (an alarming 25.5%) is the same in conference play as it is in non-conference play (and his TOs/40 (4.4/40) is the same since coming back from injury as it was before), and his eFG% is only marginally better (.467 before the injury and .479 after the injury).

After what he did Saturday night for the good guys. I am not all that concerned with his stats. :D

Kedsy
02-13-2020, 01:52 PM
After what he did Saturday night for the good guys. I am not all that concerned with his stats. :D

Totally agree. I'm just saying he's not playing all that differently than he was before.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-13-2020, 02:19 PM
In an ESPN article today Jay said the following about our Blue Devils:
Tre Jones was renamed "Tre Stones" after his mind-blowing second-half and overtime performance at North Carolina. By the way, Duke-Carolina always delivers. Jones was the first player to put up 28 points, 5 assists and 5 rebounds in this rivalry since Michael Jordan did it in 1983, and no player will ever duplicate the "bullet off the rim and chase it down" play to send the game to overtime. Stones, indeed. Duke is far from perfect, but close enough that it can reach Atlanta and win there. With Wendell Moore Jr. back and healthy, Duke has five athletes and handlers it can use at the same time, and that will serve the Blue Devils well.

Those are the kindest words any Cheats fan has ever said about Duke....

UrinalCake
02-13-2020, 02:30 PM
Bilas must be assuming we’re going to continue to get all of the calls....

killerleft
02-13-2020, 02:30 PM
Totally agree. I'm just saying he's not playing all that differently than he was before.

Yeah, the injury might have slowed his progress. Wendell is one of the more interesting players, for me, in a while. Hard to say why, but I just believe he will be a very special player soon. I was going to say "one day", but, heck, he's already done the one day thing! Thanks, Wendell!

CameronBlue
02-13-2020, 02:33 PM
Consult the DBR HPR. I think "2B" is the shorthand this thread needs.

rsvman
02-13-2020, 02:35 PM
[pedantic but important usage correction] The thread title should be changed to read "Jay Bilas's Current Assessment of Duke's Chances in the Tournament." Possessives of names ending in "s" are made by adding an apostrophe and another s. The only exceptions are historical figures whose contributions to the world or exceptional accomplishments make them universally known; viz., Jesus, Moses, Aristophanes, etc.

We cannot and should not elevate the already egocentric-enough Jay Bilas into that stratosphere. [/pedantic but important usage correction]

HereBeforeCoachK
02-13-2020, 02:46 PM
[pedantic but important usage correction] The thread title should be changed to read "Jay Bilas's Current Assessment of Duke's Chances in the Tournament." Possessives of names ending in "s" are made by adding an apostrophe and another s. The only exceptions are historical figures whose contributions to the world or exceptional accomplishments make them universally known; viz., Jesus, Moses, Aristophanes, etc.

We cannot and should not elevate the already egocentric-enough Jay Bilas into that stratosphere. [/pedantic but important usage correction]

Well, it's pedantic anyway. From www.grammarbook.com

Rule 1b. Many common nouns end in the letter s (lens, cactus, bus, etc.). So do a lot of proper nouns (Mr. Jones, Texas, Christmas). There are conflicting policies and theories about how to show possession when writing such nouns. There is no right answer; the best advice is to choose a formula and stay consistent.
Rule 1c. Some writers and editors add only an apostrophe to all nouns ending in s. And some add an apostrophe + s to every proper noun, be it Hastings's or Jones's.

One method, common in newspapers and magazines, is to add an apostrophe + s ('s) to common nouns ending in s, but only a stand-alone apostrophe to proper nouns ending in s.

BD80
02-13-2020, 02:46 PM

But Jay has walked 94' with Jesus, Moses, Aristophanes, Dean, Bobby, Calipari, all of the giants. He has put himself in that rare air.

jwillfan
02-13-2020, 02:52 PM

Thank you for confirming with numbers what I felt like I was seeing. Still drives into traffic with his head down too often and when trapped doesn't try to finish hard to the rim to at least draw the foul, and instead gets stripped. If he cleans that up he will improve his play and value to the team making us more dangerous.

Go Duke!

brevity
02-13-2020, 03:12 PM
But Jay has walked 94' with Jesus...

Did he? Why was there only one set of sneaker prints?

devildeac
02-13-2020, 03:15 PM

Bilas carried Him.

OldPhiKap
02-13-2020, 03:45 PM

They were hiding their numbers, like the Sand People of Tattoine.

arnie
02-13-2020, 04:02 PM
Bilas carried Him.

😂😂😂. That must be the reason

rsvman
02-13-2020, 04:04 PM
Well, it's pedantic anyway. From www.grammarbook.com

Rule 1b. Many common nouns end in the letter s (lens, cactus, bus, etc.). So do a lot of proper nouns (Mr. Jones, Texas, Christmas). There are conflicting policies and theories about how to show possession when writing such nouns. There is no right answer; the best advice is to choose a formula and stay consistent.
Rule 1c. Some writers and editors add only an apostrophe to all nouns ending in s. And some add an apostrophe + s to every proper noun, be it Hastings's or Jones's.

One method, common in newspapers and magazines, is to add an apostrophe + s ('s) to common nouns ending in s, but only a stand-alone apostrophe to proper nouns ending in s.

When I worked in editing and proofreading (for about 4 years), we used the Chicago Manual of Style. They may or may not have changed it since then (not gonna look it up), but at the time it was very strictly outlined. Plural possessives took just an apostrophe, but singular possessives pretty much all took "s-apostrophe-s."

Examples:

1) Tre Jones's play at the end of regulation was stellar.
2) Jay Bilas's tone during a broadcast is almost always condescending.
3) After work, they all went to Mr. Furness's home to watch Duke beat UNC.

But

1) Socrates' philosophy has been the subject of much study.
2) The women at the church daycare center encouraged the children to follow Jesus' example.

It is not my fault that the entire linguistic world has gone to hell in a hand basket since then.

sagegrouse
02-13-2020, 04:09 PM
Surely GrammarBook.com is an unimpeachable source:

Examples:
the class's hours
Mr. Jones' golf clubs
the canvas's size
Texas' weather

rsvman
02-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Update........

OK, I couldn't stand it, so I went to check the Chicago Manual of Style on this issue. Although they no longer say that just adding an apostophe is incorrect, they still prefer s-apostrophe-s for singular possessives.

We've gone a bit afield. My main point was that we can't risk anybody making the assumption that we are putting Bilas on a pedestal with Jesus and Socrates.

That is all.

rsvman
02-13-2020, 04:12 PM
Surely GrammarBook.com is an unimpeachable source:

I certainly hope you are being sarcastic. For as long as I can remember, the Chicago Manual of Style has been the "bible."

Edouble
02-13-2020, 04:37 PM
I certainly hope you are being sarcastic. For as long as I can remember, the Chicago Manual of Style has been the "bible."

Seriously. Who the hell is grammarbook.com? Color me unimpressed.

When I worked in editing and proofreading (for about 4 years), we used the Chicago Manual of Style. They may or may not have changed it since then (not gonna look it up), but at the time it was very strictly outlined. Plural possessives took just an apostrophe, but singular possessives pretty much all took "s-apostrophe-s."

Examples:

1) Tre Jones's play at the end of regulation was stellar.
2) Jay Bilas's tone during a broadcast is almost always condescending.
3) After work, they all went to Mr. Furness's home to watch Duke beat UNC.

But

1) Socrates' philosophy has been the subject of much study.
2) The women at the church daycare center encouraged the children to follow Jesus' example.

It is not my fault that the entire linguistic world has gone to hell in a hand basket since then.

Strunk and White are my grammar/style bible, and they agree with Chicago.

They hold Jesus in pretty high esteem, in that they prefer that only Jesus take an apostrophe with no -s.

Among other ancient names, they prefer, for example, the philosophy of Socrates, the laws of Moses.

rsvman
02-13-2020, 04:56 PM
They hold Jesus in pretty high esteem, in that they prefer that only Jesus take an apostrophe with no -s.

In which case, my argument to change the thread title only gets stronger. :cool:

revmel53
02-13-2020, 05:28 PM
When he called THE GAME the "Carolina - Duke game," it was the last straw for me. Will tune him out every time I can.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-13-2020, 05:28 PM

I feel ya....and FTR, I'm a published author (2 books, thousands of columns) and like it or not, style has loosened greatly over the last 20 years.

Then again, a sports forum may not have ever been subject to the Chicago Manual.....just sayin....

sagegrouse
02-13-2020, 05:47 PM

Among other ancient names, they prefer, for example, the philosophy of Socrates, the laws of Moses.

Grammarbook.com reference was sarcastic, but I thought the advice to "be consistent" was hard to disagree with.

rsvman
02-13-2020, 06:50 PM
I feel ya...and FTR, I'm a published author (2 books, thousands of columns) and like it or not, style has loosened greatly over the last 20 years.

Then again, a sports forum may not have ever been subject to the Chicago Manual....just sayin...

Prolly true.

Then again, this is not just any sports forum. This is DBR, man!

OldPhiKap
02-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Let me know when we get to Blue Booking this bad boy. (Not Kelley’s)

throatybeard
02-13-2020, 10:57 PM
Can we just write some code to where the board software generates a new Bilas-related thread every six hours? It would save some time in the long run.

BD80
02-14-2020, 12:55 AM

Strunk and White? LOOK THAT UP IN YOUR FUNK & WAGNALLS.

I remember when it was just Strunk. There was no white, because the alphabet only had 22 letters back then. Most grammar issues were related to reducing chisel strokes.

Let me know when we get to Blue Booking this bad boy. (Not Kelley’s)

Now we're talking! Who do we bill?

CameronBlue
02-14-2020, 02:12 AM
Can we just write some code to where the board software generates a new Bilas-related thread every six hours? It would save some time in the long run.

Given Jay's proclivity to p.o. people on this board, I think you have a macroeconomics problem, supply not meeting demand an' all.

weezie
02-14-2020, 07:28 AM
This thread is so funny that he really should be alerted to it. I haven't laughed this much here in quite a while.
Well done boys and girls!

Pghdukie
02-15-2020, 06:59 AM
To completely and successfully end the above grammatical questions, I suggest a BILAS/WALTON game broadcast. Let the 2 self proclaimed EXPERTS settle the argument and we as mere mortals shall follow our new "leader" of the English Language !

throatybeard
02-22-2020, 12:23 PM
Hey, good news for the vocal cadre of Bilas haters: he's working Kansas-Baylor today, not us.

Steven43
02-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Hey, good news for the vocal cadre of Bilas haters: he's working Kansas-Baylor today, not us.
So glad you kept this thread going! 😉

bundabergdevil
02-22-2020, 12:46 PM

Bilas Hater and his “Bilastrator” nickname are very close. Something should be done with that.

duke4ever19
02-22-2020, 03:02 PM
Bilas needs to pick an overarching narrative for the season and the and stick with it.

Either there is a 'wide-open field' and lots of parity this season, or there are clearly four teams that are above the rest, "which doesn't sound like parity to me."

I swear, he'll go right back to the other narrative by the next game he calls. I have zero problem if he changes his mind, but he never says "You know, there is/was a perception that there really is no one-or-two teams that seem obviously better than the rest of the field, but after watching Gonzaga, San Diego St., Kansas and Baylor, and realizing that they have only 1-loss between them since January, I'm thinking that I need to revise that position."

mattyoung18
02-22-2020, 07:20 PM
No Bilas tonight check.No Dickie V check.My ears and blood pressure will be doing great tonight.