PDA

View Full Version : Interesting outsider perspective on Duke football

wilson
11-07-2007, 08:22 PM
This Tech football blogger from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution seems as mystified as we all are by our protracted football woes (insert joke about AJC staffers here):

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/tech/entries/2007/11/07/whats_up_or_dow.html

Interestingly, the public comments on the blog largely seem to parallel our own (albeit less articulately;)).

Bluedawg
11-08-2007, 09:29 AM
This Tech football blogger from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution seems as mystified as we all are by our protracted football woes (insert joke about AJC staffers here):

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/tech/entries/2007/11/07/whats_up_or_dow.html

Interestingly, the public comments on the blog largely seem to parallel our own (albeit less articulately;)).

I agree with this comment completely. In fact, i made this exact same comment last night talking with a friend who is a big NCSU fan.

Duke invested a lot of money a few years ago to build an entire football only facility. It’s called the Yoh Center. It’s pretty impressive. Similar to Edge or Wardlow at Tech.

I’m really not sure they have an excuse not to be competitive. Look at Wake Forest. Wake’s student body is about 1/2 the size of Duke’s. It is a tough academic school as well. No “free lunch” for athletes. Wake manages to be competitive in football under Jim Grobe. ACC Champs. Amazing! They are also usually pretty good in Basketball, last few seasons an exception and they are always very good in Baseball as well.

Wake Forest’s ability to field top level teams in Football, Basketball and Baseball (and Golf) absolutely ELIMINATE the excuses that any other school may try to make.

As well as this one....

I know this from having seen Duke’s stadium (without yet seeing a game in it): that place doesn’t help recruiting. I don’t know much about football facilities up there otherwise, though. It probably doesn’t encourage prospects to know that they’re going to be not second-class citizens in the sports world at Duke, but more like third-class.