PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Duke/Carolina Game Ever...?

kako
02-10-2020, 06:50 PM
I love that Saturday's win means we can debate which amazing Duke comeback vs. UNC is the best/greatest/sweetest. IMO there’s no absolute right or wrong answer, just opinions. Here’s my top 3 (and one thrown in as a nod to Duke greats past):

Honorable mention: 1968 Duke/Carolina 3OT

I was in preschool for this one. So even though my dad hated UNC, I didn’t watch the game personally. But given Fred Lind, a benchwarmer, brought them back, it seems quite amazing. From Wikipedia:

Duke defeated North Carolina 87–86 in triple overtime at Duke Indoor Stadium (later renamed Cameron Indoor Stadium) when seldom used Duke junior Fred Lind erupted for 16 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks, having previously scored 21 points during his entire career. When Duke All-American center Mike Lewis picked up his third foul in the first half (and Warren Chapman, his backup, had a knee injury), Duke coach Vic Bubas called on Lind to fill the void against UNC greats Rusty Clark and Bill Bunting. Lewis returned in the second half, but fouled out (four Blue Devils and one Tar Heel fouled out of the game) with about five minutes left in regulation when Duke was down by five, and Lind returned to the court. Lind went on to carry the Blue Devils in the three overtimes, blocking North Carolina's shot attempt at the end of regulation, making two free throws at the end of the first overtime, and knocking down a 15-foot jumper at the buzzer to send it into a third overtime. Lind would be celebrated for the action by being carried to Duke's main quad

Why it’s not at my top?
Though it went 3 OTs, there was no buzzer beater for the win. Duke was ranked, but even though Carolina won the ACCs that year, it wasn’t such an amazing upset. And, to be honest, I didn't experience it myself. Of course, 3 OTs is amazing, and Lind has to be the biggest surprise hero for Duke in the series. I’d imagine, though, because of heart-pounding, stressful action for another 15 minutes after regulation, this one remains in the minds of Duke fans before my generation.

Third – 1981 Duke/Carolina 1OT

For those that were not around… I was in high school watching this one – senior day at Cameron. Carolina had Worthy, Perkins and a guy named Al Wood, who was no college slouch. Worthy is NBA HOF, Perkins is in the college HOF. They made the NCAA final that year, losing to Isiah Thomas’ Indiana team. Duke had Dennard and Banks, two seniors that would play in the NBA. But Duke was definitely the underdog, with a losing record in the ACC in K’s first coaching year in Durham. Banks’ buzzer-beater to tie in regulation (off an inbounds pass from Dennard) is historic. The shot looks almost Laettner-like, going just over the 6-11 Perkins’ outstretched fingers.

Why it’s not at my top?
The game didn’t come down to a last shot in OT. Banks’ winning bucket in OT, a put back off a Vince Taylor miss that should have been rebounded by Wood) was a relatively easy layup. Carolina took a shot to tie after that (after one of El Deano’s saved TO’s), but it missed. Duke’s win wasn’t a major comeback in-game by the Devils, as it was a relatively close game. But it was sweet – K’s first win over the Heels. And Banks throwing roses to the crowd before the game was really cool.

Second – 2020 Duke/Carolina 1OT

I don’t need to recap this game right now. I’ll just say it was simply amazing. The belief that team had, never giving up with all of Blue Heaven pulling against them, shows what kind of mentality has been built by K over the years.

Why it’s not at my top?
Carolina is not a good team this year and will probably not even make the NIT. Duke was supposed to win. And though Duke came from 13 down with 4 minutes left, they actually led before the end, blowing a 5 point lead in OT. You can argue to me that they had to come back twice, which is true. But it’s not like totally stealing the game from inevitable jaws of defeat. And though the last second shot from Jones to Moore was a buzzer-beater, the two teams were tied. If Duke had missed, it would have gone to double OT. But it was an amazing game, I’m not taking anything away from it in my mind. Coming back down 5 in 20 seconds is really hard to do.

First – 2012 Duke/Carolina

I don’t think I need to say much here about this game, either. Most of the folks on here know about it. And anyone new to Duke just needs to youtube the game to see it or google game recaps, as it was played in the Internet age.

Why it’s at my top:
Duke, though ranked, was the underdog and was coming off a bad OT loss to a mediocre Miami team in Cameron. People were starting to question Duke a lot. Meanwhile, Carolina was rolling as a top 5 in the country. Same as the 2020 game, it was in the Dean Dome. Duke had trailed all of the second half, looking pitiful. Harrison Barnes didn’t score much in the first half but came back with a vengeance in the 2nd with 19 points. Down 10 points with 2 minutes left, UNC looked like they close it out easily. Then just like Saturday, weird things began to happen. A bad call – Seth Curry obviously traveled while shooting a 3 (off a Mason Plumlee steal and dribble downcourt – Plumlee was not known for his ball handling, so his leading the break and passing back to Curry was an anomaly). Barnes started to try to play hero ball when not needed, committing a charge. Tyler Zeller accidentally tipped a 3-ball try by Ryan Kelly into the bucket for 2 Duke points. Missed FTs by Carolina, and then the buzzer-beating 3 by Rivers. And here’s the real key to why I think this game is the best - it was Duke’s first lead in the whole second half, actually coming after the full 20 minutes – the ball passes through the hoop after the scoreboards went blank at 0:00:00 (I have that shot as a screen saver on an iPad, ball still midflight). The crowd shots (the crying girl, the stunned cheerleader, the open mouths in the stands, Doc Rivers going crazy) only add to the glory. I know the Stones moniker primarily applies to the Jones boys, and I also know Rivers isn’t the highest regarded Blue Devil of all time, but the stones to take that step back 3, down by 2, over Zeller as time is expiring… that, my friends, was incredible.

This is just my opinion. There have definitely been some great games, and if one of those is at the top of your list, I won’t throw rocks at you. Other than saying Wayne Gretzky is the greatest hockey player of all time (and if you know hockey, you agree with me :cool:), any argument about GOATs is always debatable. But again, it’s great that we can debate Saturday’s game might or might not be the best Duke/Carolina game of all time.

Lastly, another opinion: I was saying all along in the in-game thread that you just gotta believe. Duke under K has come back so many times when defeat seemed likely. Anyone saying that Duke is out of a game with a lot of time left on the clock just doesn’t know history, and I think basically has a quitter’s mentality. If you were on the bench during those games, I would have dared you to say that it was over to K’s face! Just last year, the Louisville and FSU games seemed lost, and Duke game back. Against UNC in the games above, as well as even as recently as the 2017 ACCs, most normal teams would have faded away after going down big. But this is Duke. We are Duke. We always have a chance. As Yogi said, it ain’t over ‘til it’s over. He didn’t know it, but he was talking about Duke, Coach K and the Brotherhood. I’ve learned to never count Duke out. And when Duke pulls the game out, it makes it all the sweeter.

9F, 9 Freakin' F

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2020, 07:03 PM
I would put this one as having the most amazing ending......the most improbably series of three comebacks (one by Duke in regulation, one by the heels in OT, and then another one by Duke in OT) - and of course buzzer beaters in regulation and OT.

Not the best teams by far....not the best played game by far.....but the most bizarre or improbable ending IMO.

proelitedota
02-10-2020, 07:13 PM
Our win in 2016 was pretty awesome too. Down to five rotation players by the 2nd half of 2nd half.

bundabergdevil
02-10-2020, 07:36 PM
This should probably be a Top 5 or Top 10 list to adequately include all the amazing Duke wins. Duhon's full court layup game in 2004 has to be up there. Even last year's 2nd game when Zion was back from the blown shoe was an intense, really fun game that'd probably sneak into my Top 10. Lots to choose from!

I agree with HBK that this was the most improbable victor. SO many things had to go right for Tre to do what he did just to tie the game. I'm not sure I've seen a finish quite like that in any basketball game at any level.

wsb3
02-10-2020, 09:27 PM
This is really hard. I have been thinking more along the lines of where does this comeback win vs the Cheats rank? I think it tops Austin Rivers because we came back twice. The 98 game on Wojo Senior Day. I was a kid when Duke won in triple OT but I can't recall if there was a big comeback involved. And many others.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2020, 09:31 PM
This should probably be a Top 5 or Top 10 list to adequately include all the amazing Duke wins. Duhon's full court layup game in 2004 has to be up there. Even last year's 2nd game when Zion was back from the blown shoe was an intense, really fun game that'd probably sneak into my Top 10. Lots to choose from!

I agree with HBK that this was the most improbable victor. SO many things had to go right for Tre to do what he did just to tie the game. I'm not sure I've seen a finish quite like that in any basketball game at any level.

Improbable is the key word.....Duke overcame odds of like 98-2 TWICE in a row. What are the odds of THAT? Almost so low as to be absurd.

AGDukesky
02-10-2020, 09:37 PM
I would put this one as having the most amazing ending...the most improbably series of three comebacks (one by Duke in regulation, one by the heels in OT, and then another one by Duke in OT) - and of course buzzer beaters in regulation and OT.

Not the best teams by far...not the best played game by far....but the most bizarre or improbable ending IMO.

Agreed. Craziest ending(s) but wouldn’t be on my “best games” list. Definitely one of the most memorable...

Dukehky
02-10-2020, 09:37 PM
2019 in the ACCT was better than last night. Better teams, incredible ending. Zion.

2015 in Cameron, I thought was better too.

mattyoung18
02-10-2020, 09:38 PM
This past Saturday's game is #1 for me.Im 45 too.Cant beat 2 buzzer beaters in 1 game to rip out the heals heart in front of that awful color that still is so ugly it doesnt have a name attached to it yet.

Phredd3
02-10-2020, 10:01 PM
And here’s the real key to why I think this game is the best - it was Duke’s first lead in the whole second half, actually coming after the full 20 minutes – the ball passes through the hoop after the scoreboards went blank at 0:00:00 (I have that shot as a screen saver on an iPad, ball still midflight).

This was true last Saturday, as well. In fact, Duke had a lead for exactly six seconds in ALL of regulation time, gaining the lead 4-3 at 18:38, and relinquishing it for good at 18:32 in the first half, 4-5. They tied it againat 84-84 with no time left. The ball left Tre's hand with 0:00.3 on the clock, and went through the rim after time expired. Although the score was tied at the time, they did it AGAIN in overtime, where the ball left Wendell's hand with about a half second left, and bounced around on the rim until after time expired.

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course. Which one you like better is purely an emotional choice. But for me, Saturday was the most amazing win I've ever watched in real time.

Duke79UNLV77
02-10-2020, 10:08 PM
82-50

ncexnyc
02-10-2020, 10:15 PM
It's the Rivers game for me. We were dominated in the 2nd half, but slowly chipped away at the lead. It never seemed like we could actually win it, but there it was, we had the ball and a shot for the win and Austin came through. And I agree with the OP, the stunned looks of disbelief were priceless.

brevity
02-10-2020, 10:18 PM
IMO there’s no absolute right or wrong answer, just opinions.

Sure, but there is an authority: Nugget's list of Coach K's 100 best wins (2010 original (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23568) and 2016 update (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23568-Who-Doesn-t-Love-Lists-Coach-K-s-Top-Wins-and-Toughest-Losses-at-Duke&p=879638#post879638)).

Here are the wins over UNC from the more recent list:

(8) North Carolina, 1984 ACC Tournament Semis (77-75)
(14) @ North Carolina, 2001 (95-81)
(15) North Carolina, 1998 (77-75)
(19) @ North Carolina, 2016 (74-73)
(21) North Carolina, 1988 ACC Tournament Final (65-61)
(24) North Carolina, 2001 ACC Tournament Final (79-53)
(25) North Carolina, 1986 (82-74)
(26) North Carolina, 1997 (80-73)
(27) North Carolina, 2011 (79-73)
(28) @ North Carolina, 2012 (85-84)
(29) @ North Carolina, 1985 (93-77)
(33) North Carolina, 2011 ACC Tournament Final (75-58)
(36) North Carolina, 1981 (66-65)
(41) @ North Carolina, 2008 (89-78)
(42) @ Maryland, 2001 (98-96) (ot)
(43) @ North Carolina, 1989 (88-86)
(44) North Carolina, 2005 (71-70)
(45) North Carolina, 2015 (92-90, ot)
(46) North Carolina, 1993 (81-67)
(49) @ North Carolina, 2004 (83-81) (ot)
(50) @ North Carolina, 1991 (83-77)
(52) @ North Carolina, 2000 (90-86) (ot)
(53) North Carolina, 1992 ACC Tournament Final (94-74)
(55) @ North Carolina, 1988 (70-69)
(63) North Carolina, 1999 ACC Tournament Final (96-73)
(66) North Carolina, 1988 (96-81)
(74) North Carolina, 2010 (82-50)
(82) North Carolina, 1991 (74-61)
(86) @ North Carolina, 1999 (81-61)
(88) North Carolina, 1992 (89-77)

Nothing before Coach K arrived, and nothing after 2016. But still.

Bull City Proud
02-10-2020, 10:20 PM
This past Saturday's game is #1 for me.Im 45 too.Cant beat 2 buzzer beaters in 1 game to rip out the heals heart in front of that awful color that still is so ugly it doesnt have a name attached to it yet.

Agreed this game best win ever over the cheats

Acymetric
02-10-2020, 10:23 PM
82-50

Beat me to it.

TinkandGman
02-10-2020, 10:25 PM
82-50

This. Saturday night was great, but this 2010 game we beat them by 32, but we could’ve beat them by 100 that night. Glorious.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2020, 10:26 PM
This was true last Saturday, as well. In fact, Duke had a lead for exactly six seconds in ALL of regulation time, gaining the lead 4-3 at 18:38, and relinquishing it for good at 18:32 in the first half, 4-5. They tied it againat 84-84 with no time left. The ball left Tre's hand with 0:00.3 on the clock, and went through the rim after time expired. Although the score was tied at the time, they did it AGAIN in overtime, where the ball left Wendell's hand with about a half second left, and bounced around on the rim until after time expired.

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course. Which one you like better is purely an emotional choice. But for me, Saturday was the most amazing win I've ever watched in real time.

Yep, any time a game has one outcome with the clock hits 00:00.......and another outcome when the ball in flight finishes.....it's quite an ending. When it happens twice in one game? Unheard of. You're right, one's favorite is emotional subjective choice....but objectively, mathematically, this one Saturday is the most amazing.

fuse
02-10-2020, 10:28 PM
82-50

This plus one million.

SouthernDukie
02-10-2020, 10:31 PM
I’d place the ‘99 game @CH in my Top 5. Fond memories of Corey putting Tar Heels in the spin cycle for some nice dunks. Just awesome.

kako
02-11-2020, 12:02 AM
82-50

As the OP, I should have been more specific in my subject title. It should have added the word "Comeback". So my bad. I also love 82-50. True story - I'm out in California, and my boss at the time went to UNC. The rivalry out here is nothing like in NC, but those few of us who are in it are still passionate. The next week after that win, we were whiteboarding something, and there were some numbers to show. I intentionally made a mistake to show "82/50". People called me out, and I just looked at my boss and kept smiling until she figured out what I was showing. I then explained it to the room for a laugh. And no, amazingly I didn't get fired.

Anyway, the word "Greatest" is subjective. Maybe I should have used the word "Favorite"... Favorite Duke/Carolina Comeback Win Ever... But no matter. It's great talking about any of these wins.

9F

jdk
02-11-2020, 06:55 AM
Wojo's senior day is #1 for me.

Down 17 to the best team in the country who had previously humiliated us on national prime time television, and we came back to win because UNC's short bench was too fatigued. This was before air conditioning in Cameron, and it gave Duke the regular season title.

npdevil27
02-11-2020, 07:19 AM

Down 17 to the best team in the country who had previously humiliated us on national prime time television, and we came back to win because UNC's short bench was too fatigued. This was before air conditioning in Cameron, and it gave Duke the regular season title.

This has to be it - I get teary eyed whenever I watch the game - the Cameron crowd is absolute apex bonkers insane.

Honorable mention to the 2001 game @ UNC. Duke had just lost Boozer to the foot injury and I don't think many people gave us a shot. Battier had that incredible block of Forte on the breakaway.

BD80
02-11-2020, 07:36 AM
7-0 halftime. Airball.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2020, 08:20 AM
7-0 halftime. Airball.

...alltime record for least iron in a half.....NONE. So funny.....but a shameful game IMO.

Indoor66
02-11-2020, 08:28 AM
Anyway, the word "Greatest" is subjective. Maybe I should have used the word "Favorite"... Favorite Duke/Carolina Comeback Win Ever... But no matter. It's great talking about any of these wins.

9F

82-50 was a comeback game. We would comeback and score; then comeback and score; then comeback and score; etc.

wilson
02-11-2020, 08:33 AM
82-50 was a comeback game. We would comeback and score; then comeback and score; then comeback and score; etc.If anyone has a link to video of Hubert Davis picking a heels win on the ESPN Gameday broadcast that day, I would really like to watch it.

camion
02-11-2020, 08:39 AM
The win over UNLV in the NCAA semis has always been the most heart thumping game for me. The one last Satuday came close. I think it may become my number one UNC game as it ages like a good wine (or in the case of UNC a good whine).

Bob Green
02-11-2020, 08:41 AM
As others have posted, there is no correct answer as individuals have differing opinions. For me, it is the 1968 3OT win in Duke Indoor Stadium. That win is cemented in my mind as one of the great joys of my childhood.

I was 8 years, 6 months and a couple weeks old and already a hardened veteran Duke fan. I watched Duke games on TV when available but listened to the radio a lot as well. The 3OT game was on TV.

When Mike Lewis fouled out I thought we were toast. There have been a multitude of exciting victories over Carolina since but none were greater than 1968.

Indoor66
02-11-2020, 08:44 AM
As others have posted, there is no correct answer as individuals have differing opinions. For me, it is the 1968 3OT win in Duke Indoor Stadium. That win is cemented in my mind as one of the great joys of my childhood.

I was 8 years, 6 months and a couple weeks old and already a hardened veteran Duke fan. I watched Duke games on TV when available but listened to the radio a lot as well. The 3OT game was on TV.

When Mike Lewis fouled out I thought we were toast. There have been a multitude of exciting victories over Carolina since but none were greater than 1968.

Freddy Lind for the Rafters!

duke2x
02-11-2020, 09:20 AM

I was also at that game as I am Class of Wojo. If you watch this game on Youtube, Vitale complained every 3 minutes how hot it was. (You can also watch me losing 10 pounds of water weight as well.) I'll respectfully dispute that UNC was the best team in the country. They were not #1 at the time, and they didn't even play the national champions. It was the last time anybody will use alphabetical rotations to determine which 5/6 will start.

Scott Van Pelt was very quick to criticize that Saturday's game did not belong on that list. It was a very competitive game played at a lower level. 1995 had a similar record disparity but was played at a higher level (even though we lost).

Edouble
02-11-2020, 09:31 AM
I was also at that game as I am Class of Wojo. If you watch this game on Youtube, Vitale complained every 3 minutes how hot it was. (You can also watch me losing 10 pounds of water weight as well.) I'll respectfully dispute that UNC was the best team in the country. They were not #1 at the time, and they didn't even play the national champions. It was the last time anybody will use alphabetical rotations to determine which 5/6 will start.

Scott Van Pelt was very quick to criticize that Saturday's game did not belong on that list. It was a very competitive game played at a lower level. 1995 had a similar record disparity but was played at a higher level (even though we lost).

I was at the game as well.

Best Duke UNC game ever:

Elton's dramatic return to dominate two junior All-American forwards
The heat and lack of AC
Deano's birthday
Wojo's senior day
Roshown holding his son in his outstretched arms at centercourt, before the game
The 17 point deficit
Coach K coming out of half time wearing a polo, because he had ripped his shirt off during the halftime speech
Coach K's 500th win
The heat and the missed free throws
The hug at the end

My facepaint was melted off and on my shirt before the tip off, and by the end, I couldn't hear myself scream it was so loud. Just an absolute blanket of white noise and heat. The most incredible live sports experience I have been a part of.

It was great, and appropriate (it is rare that it is) to storm the court with the rest of the Crazies.

DukeDevilDeb
02-11-2020, 09:38 AM

I beg to differ with your comment about Zion's coming back in the second game. We lost both regular season games to UNC. Zion did not play in Chapel Hill. Where he made a huge difference was in the semis of the ACC tournament when we played Carolina.

That corrected, it was great to see the Tar Heels try to stop him. Oh, what would last season have been like had Zion been healthy for both Carolina games.

Though I love the Austin Rivers' shot (and it was previously #1), the two miracle game last Saturday is now my #1.

Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2020, 09:44 AM

Interesting...I did not like that game. We were MUCH better than the Cheats that year, and should have never been down 17 to begin with. I was happy we won, but I thought a disappointing game....in that we should have kicked their fannies.

Edouble
02-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Interesting...I did not like that game. We were MUCH better than the Cheats that year, and should have never been down 17 to begin with. I was happy we won, but I thought a disappointing game...in that we should have kicked their fannies.

I am not sure how you can say we were MUCH better than the Cheats that year. I think that was easily the best unc team to not win a National Championship.

If Dean had been there, and they had just not played Makhtar N'Diaye, they probably would have won the whole thing.

They made the Final Four and we did not, FWIW.

scottdude8
02-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Recency bias is real: I don't think any of us can have an objective debate on this topic right now. I know my adrenaline levels are probably STILL elevated!

I will say this: Saturday night's game involved not one, but two comebacks. It was essentially the 2012 comeback, but with an encore! Plus, I think the probability of Tre's missed free-throw gambit working was much lower than the probability of Austin's three.

So right now I'm inclined to pick 2020 over 2012. But again, recency bias.

jv001
02-11-2020, 10:58 AM
My top 3 are:

1) Saturdays win over the Heels in the Dean Dome when no one outside of the most faithful Duke fans thought we could pull it off, not once but twice. Crushing the cheat fans made it so sweet.

2) The 1968 game known to me as the Freddie Lind game is right up there with number one above and for the same reasons that others have stated. Beating a cheating Dean coached team was sweet.

3) Wo-Jo's senior game comes in 3rd.

There have been so many great games that I can't remember them all. But I cherish any win over the school that has many wins in the win-loss column that came about because they sold their soul to get them. GTHC!

GoDuke!

moonpie23
02-11-2020, 11:25 AM
82-50 is the greatest "comeback" against the cheats....after marcus ginyard torched us with that free throw, the team, staff and crazies responded big time !!!

devilirium
02-14-2020, 06:47 PM
I am not sure how you can say we were MUCH better than the Cheats that year. I think that was easily the best unc team to not win a National Championship.

If Dean had been there, and they had just not played Makhtar N'Diaye, they probably would have won the whole thing.

Also, to put it bluntly, they ran over us twice in the first matchup in Chapel Hill (Duke came back from a 20 pt deficit to cut it to 3 only for the Cheats to put it out of reach again) and handled us with ease in the ACCT final. I believe they won the final by 15 points or so. We were a year away from being really special.

devilirium
02-14-2020, 06:50 PM
One that should be added to the list is the Brickey block of Lebo's jumper to preserve a win in Chapel Hill. I think Duke had lost 2 or 3 straight games prior to that game. Brickey seemingly leaped out of nowhere to get a hand on that one. Also, I can't remember the year, there was a game where King Rice simply had to hit 2 free throws to put UNC in front, and he missed both. It may have been in '88.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2020, 07:07 PM

We did not match up well head to head with them, but had a better regular season over all, ranked higher....beat them by 2 games in the ACC standings - and had the bad luck of drawing Kentucky in our regional. Had a 17 point lead over UK, only to miss FTs all game and lose. When we were up 17, shoulda been up 25+ and it would have been over. Kentucky thought Duke was the best team they played all year, and Guthridge said Duke was the best team in the country. I agree. The 98 and then 99 teams not winning a Natty was frustrating as heck.

CameronBlue
02-14-2020, 07:51 PM
One that should be added to the list is the Brickey block of Lebo's jumper to preserve a win in Chapel Hill. I think Duke had lost 2 or 3 straight games prior to that game. Brickey seemingly leaped out of nowhere to get a hand on that one. Also, I can't remember the year, there was a game where King Rice simply had to hit 2 free throws to put UNC in front, and he missed both. It may have been in '88.

88 was the first 3-peat year, I think there has been one other. Plus Dean was the Coach. If you are a post-Dean fan of the rivalry leave it to Sumner or one of the old-timers to describe to you while they still can, the stranglehold that Dean and UNC had over the ACC from 1970 until the mid-80s, psychologically, literally, metaphorically, meta-physically...in almost every realm imaginable. Though Duke competed well with UNC during the Bubas era, (Bubas has a winning record over Dean) really Dean's reign began earlier with 3-straight FF trips from 67-69. Except for NCSU's magnificent run in 73-74, Dean owned the ACC, he owned the refs and he owned your fate. The axiom of the day was that the ACC was so competitive, the ACC fraternity so tightly bonded, the enemy so familiar no one could beat another member of the fraternity 3 times in one season because you had learned their weaknesses and strengths in the crucible of competition, titanic tales best retold by Homer. UNC was the only exception. Of course. So when K and Duke swept UNC 3 times in 88--THAT was new. THAT was big and that was a sign that the power structure of the ACC was shifting. So any victory from 88 rates well on the list of great ones, or should.

That's why my choice is 1981. It was Dean on one side and Gene Banks with a newbie Coach on the other. Tink's performance both before, during and after the game was legendary and for a brief moment outshone Dean and UNC.

Music man55
02-14-2020, 09:55 PM
I am going to go way,way back. In fact, I was only 12 yrs.old way back. I know there have been many games since the one I am talking about that would be considered better qualified than the March,1968 game at then Duke Indoor Stadium, but that game is etched in my mind forever. There are some posters here that remember that game well or better than I do. What I remember most was the fact that UNC(yes, I'll call them that then) were nearly unbeatable then with Miller, Scott, and a bunch of good supporting players. Fred Lind, who hardly ever played, came in for Mike Lewis and became a hero that day, in triple overtime. I will never forget that game as long as I live! I can still see it in my mind. Glorious!

Ggallagher
02-15-2020, 07:18 AM

This is still the greatest game that I'm aware of. I was at the game, it was my sophomore year. Toward the end of the third overtime, I remember wondering whether I'd be able to endure a fourth OT if it went that far. It was just an unbelievably tense situation that finally ended with overwhelming joy.

TKG
02-15-2020, 08:18 AM
The one in which in Heyman decked Larry Brown! ;0

wsb3
02-15-2020, 08:51 AM

Bob, I am much older. I was 9 years, 3 months & a couple of weeks old. :) I too listened to a lot of Duke games on the radio. I have a nice Duke library of games & what I would give to have a copy of that one. That game still rates at the top of my list but the one Saturday is pretty darn close.

ricks68
02-15-2020, 09:10 PM
Bob, I am much older. I was 9 years, 3 months & a couple of weeks old. :) I too listened to a lot of Duke games on the radio. I have a nice Duke library of games & what I would give to have a copy of that one. That game still rates at the top of my list but the one Saturday is pretty darn close.

That is the ONE as far as I am concerned. I was at the game as a 21 year old Duke student just a few days short of my 22nd birthday. Freddy Lind is my hero! He scored more points in that game than what he had scored the whole year up until then, I believe. When All-American Mike Lewis fouled out, we thought it was all over. Freddy was just remarkable, playing against far superior players---that he just plain beat with clutch shot after clutch shot. After the game, the students waited at the side door, and when he came out, he was carried on their shoulders all the way to the center of the campus! I saw it! Never happened before, and not happened since! Hard to imagine, but prior to Coach K, we Crusties saw incredible play from Coach Bubas' teams.

Ricks

HereBeforeCoachK
02-15-2020, 09:34 PM
All this talk about the Fred Lind game...I Googled it and found some nuggets...this is nice piece on the game, interviews Bubas, Lewis, Lind and a couple others:
https://www.greensboro.com/sports/duke-s-unlikely-hero-years-later/article_2db9b1e0-24a2-5ff6-819f-65ac812453ff.html

84Duke
02-15-2020, 09:44 PM
It depends on your age. For me, Dennard and Banks, So Long and Thanks - 1981. In my time, any win against those guys was completely unexpected. It was a pretty depressing time for Duke basketball, which many of you have fortunately never experienced.

wsb3
02-16-2020, 09:34 AM
Not in order.

1. Triple OT game.
2. Gene says Good Bye. Coach K..first win over Dean
3. 86 final to win Coach K's first Regular Season title
4. Last Saturday's epic comeback
5. Ties? Rivers 3, Duhon reverse lay up, 82-50...

wsb3
02-16-2020, 09:36 AM
That is the ONE as far as I am concerned. I was at the game as a 21 year old Duke student just a few days short of my 22nd birthday. Freddy Lind is my hero! He scored more points in that game than what he had scored the whole year up until then, I believe. When All-American Mike Lewis fouled out, we thought it was all over. Freddy was just remarkable, playing against far superior players---that he just plain beat with clutch shot after clutch shot. After the game, the students waited at the side door, and when he came out, he was carried on their shoulders all the way to the center of the campus! I saw it! Never happened before, and not happened since! Hard to imagine, but prior to Coach K, we Crusties saw incredible play from Coach Bubas' teams.

Ricks

Ricks, Was there a notable comeback in that game for the good guys? I can't recall that aspect.

Rogue
02-16-2020, 09:53 AM
So many
For some of us older guys..

21-20 win in ACC tourney about 1966. Mike Lewis, made free throws for the WIN.. ( dean starts is stall tactics because he can't win )

RICK KATHERMAN. The Manchester Rifle . about 1972 ?

Gene Banks, Tinkerbell hits last second shot to defeat the cheats.. circa 1980 or 81 ish ?

These were some classics

ricks68
02-17-2020, 02:00 AM
Ricks, Was there a notable comeback in that game for the good guys? I can't recall that aspect.

Sorry, I can't recall either. I think that they were outplaying us, however, until the first coming of Patrick Davidson took the floor!

ricks

uh_no
02-17-2020, 02:11 AM
I know some of you have been around for far longer than I have, and many of you have been around for somewhat longer, but I toss the 14 point 2H comeback in cameron in 2011 into the ring.

I'm 100% biased since that would have been my senior year (but for graduating early) and was kyle + nolan's senior season....and to this day, the LOUDEST I've ever heard cameron.

9f baby, 9f.

In case you forgot, kyle and nolan lost a grand total of ZERO games in cameron their final two years....and only 2 overall (both to that frequent traveller from down the road).