PDA

View Full Version : Should we restart the favorite player poll?

trinity92
11-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Duke v. Georgetown 1989 regional final. Start at 1:00-- you sure Phil Henderson isn't your favorite blue devil after all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRNQ2KsqnZg

Watch a little longer for an "in your face" chant by our fans.

Classic.

Cameron
11-07-2007, 05:33 PM
The same could be said for the seconds of life immediately following Christian's shot:) At that moment, most male Duke fans probably would have given "The Shot" a night with their wives had he wanted it:)

(Only kidding. I think).

kydevil
11-07-2007, 05:34 PM
The same could be said for the seconds of life immediately following Christian's shot:) At that moment, most male Duke fans probably would have given "The Shot" a night with their wives had he wanted it:)

(Only kidding. I think).

No, not kidding. :D

rthomas
11-07-2007, 06:12 PM
The Phil Henderson dunk was arguably the best dunk ever by a Dukie. My personal favorite.

I love the comment by Mushberger about Mourning "getting his first taste of boos" during this clip. Mushberger should know.

And that pass from Ferry to Laettner for a layup (in this clip). sick.

I am freaking ready for the season to start!!!!! Let's go, Duke!

Jumbo
11-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Duke v. Georgetown 1989 regional final. Start at 1:00-- you sure Phil Henderson isn't your favorite blue devil after all?

Classic.

People have been looking for that dunk for as long as I can remember on DBR. Great find! I love how many old games are ending up on YouTube -- I hope they stay there.

killerleft
11-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Jumbo. Haven't seen that dunk in years! My personal favorite too. What is so amazing to me is it looks just as I remember it. But how could time possibly improve on the most beautiful dunk by a Devil on a bona fide world-class shotblocker ever.

The dunk was worth way more than 2 points. Phil Henderson just chose that particular time to let G-town know that Duke was going to win that game and move on to the Final Four.

mgtr
11-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Excellent, excellent clip. Anytime a Duke fan gets depressed, this is the one to watch. I will keep that link. Thanks a million.

mr. synellinden
11-07-2007, 07:59 PM

Classic.

Watching this reaffirms that Laettner was my favorite. Outplayed Mourning, Shaq, LJ and countless other big men in big games.

rthomas
11-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Watching this reaffirms that Laettner was my favorite. Outplayed Mourning, Shaq, LJ and countless other big men in big games.

I wish that Itunes would add more past games other than Duke vs UNC. I'd love to be able to rewatch the LSU game where Laettner took Shaq.

dukestheheat
11-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Cameron,

I remember after The Shot just standing on my couch and pointing at the TV and shouting at Christian 'You're a STAR!......You're a STAR!'.

I am certain that I popped a Q-T wave (bringing on a heart attack) and had an out-of-body experience when the guy hit that shot.

dth.

SilkyJ
11-07-2007, 09:38 PM
The Phil Henderson dunk was arguably the best dunk ever by a Dukie. My personal favorite.

i heard about but never saw a reverse dunk by someone that just posteruzed David Robinson, i think it was j dawk, but not sure...

trinity92
11-07-2007, 10:39 PM
I wish that Itunes would add more past games other than Duke vs UNC. I'd love to be able to rewatch the LSU game where Laettner took Shaq.

Actually, I was at that LSU game, sitting on the floor courtesy of a friend and his dad who left after the first half and gave me the tickets. (Good to live on towerview that year) :p

I had been looking all over for the henderson dunk too, and thanks to this guy that's posting some great duke games on youtube for making our fondest wishes come true. From watching this game again (was my freshman year last time I saw it) I was just SO impressed by Christian. I didn't recall him being this smooth as a freshman, but he was our best player on the floor that night. I had forgotten that Mourning got hurt in the first half, and that Charles Smith--their best scorer-- was very gimpy that game. Very exciting nonetheless.

JBDuke
11-07-2007, 10:48 PM
i heard about but never saw a reverse dunk by someone that just posteruzed David Robinson, i think it was j dawk, but not sure...

This is an urban legend. The dunk in the Duke-Navy game was by JD over a big white guy - NOT David Robinson. But JD did posterize the guy - performing a two-handed reverse jam in his face.

dukemomLA
11-08-2007, 02:09 AM
Let's face it. There are so many Duke stars that it is hard to choose. What a wonderful thing to have a school legacy with so many Duke scholar/athletes. There are just a few schools, if any, that can compete with such excellence. I am so proud to be part of the Duke family. Damn, we're good! So many sports need our support and kudos. GO DUKE!

JasonEvans
11-08-2007, 08:47 AM
This is an urban legend. The dunk in the Duke-Navy game was by JD over a big white guy - NOT David Robinson. But JD did posterize the guy - performing a two-handed reverse jam in his face.

The posterized player in question was Doug Wojic, Navy's second-best player that year. As JB recalls, it was NOT Robinson.

-Jason

rthomas
11-08-2007, 09:06 AM
The posterized player in question was Doug Wojic, Navy's second-best player that year. As JB recalls, it was NOT Robinson.

-Jason

Does anyone have a picture of the posterization?

jacone21
11-08-2007, 09:32 AM
What's really great about those old clips...

No 30 second commercial breaks

and

No funky camera angles

and

No promos for the Amazing Race or CSI or... well... you get the picture.

Gosh I miss being able to watch the game like that, with nothing on the screen but the game. But alas! Those days are gone.

DukeDude
11-08-2007, 10:41 AM

-Jason

Wasn't Doug Wojcik a 5'11" guard? He is now the coach at Tulsa.