PDA

View Full Version : AOC & Baker

Jaks19
02-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Looking at the Duke roster, it's easy to see a well-rounded mix of players that could contribute to Duke winning games. There are guys that can make shots, defend and rebound. But the biggest question mark on this team is 3 pt shooting as in who will be hitting them that day. That leads me to Alex and Joey. These 2 guys "should" be the Duke players that other teams fear from beyond the arc, however their inconsistency is their nemesis. The Chronicle had a good write up on them, but I was wondering if anyone here as a coach or former player can chime in on their struggles. I know its a mental thing and both are lacking defensively at time, but that's not my question; it's their roller-coaster play from game to game.

jv001
02-06-2020, 09:06 AM
Who is AOD? Alex? GoDuke!

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-06-2020, 09:07 AM
One of Rosie O’Donnell’s sons, I think...

But seriously, for some players, the game never really slows down. They push too hard instead of letting the game come to them. You can often see it in AOC’s erratic movements when he receives the ball, which to me is an indication of indecisiveness. You can’t really teach decisiveness and confidence. You can practice hard and work to overcome those challenges but it’s obviously very different from the physical skill set.

CDu
02-06-2020, 09:23 AM
Looking at the Duke roster, it's easy to see a well-rounded mix of players that could contribute to Duke winning games. There are guys that can make shots, defend and rebound. But the biggest question mark on this team is 3 pt shooting as in who will be hitting them that day. That leads me to Alex and Joey. These 2 guys "should" be the Duke players that other teams fear from beyond the arc, however their inconsistency is their nemesis. The Chronicle had a good write up on them, but I was wondering if anyone here as a coach or former player can chime in on their struggles. I know its a mental thing and both are lacking defensively at time, but that's not my question; it's their roller-coaster play from game to game.

Not a coach or former player (at least not above the high school level), but it seems pretty straightforward. Three point shooting is inherently streaky business. So unless you bring something else to the table offensively, or unless you are a total freak shooter, your offensive value is going to be streaky if relying on 3s. Baker doesn’t really do anything else but 3s. O’Connell is more versatile but more mistake-prone on offense, and hasn’t shot as well either. And both are weak defensively, on a team that has made defense a priority. So they aren’t going to get a ton of time unless they are making shots or are forced into action, so that is going to augment the streakiness.

BD80
02-06-2020, 09:28 AM

One of Rosie O’Donnell’s sons, I think... .

As long she doesn't sing the National Anthem when she comes to Cameron to watch her son play! :rolleyes:

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-06-2020, 09:31 AM
As long she doesn't sing the National Anthem when she comes to Cameron to watch her son play! :rolleyes:
You’re thinking of Roseanne Barr. Truly awful and disrespectful.

BD80
02-06-2020, 09:34 AM

Yes, thus the :rolleyes:

Jaks19
02-06-2020, 09:56 AM
Yes, AOC …. how do I edit the typo

devildeac
02-06-2020, 10:01 AM
Yes, AOC …. how do I edit the typo

Ask a mod nicely and send a gift.

Bob likes beer, -jk likes bourbon, Jason likes donuts (or pies) and Stray likes UF athletic tickets, not sure if he prefers MBB or FB more...

(;))

plimnko
02-06-2020, 10:14 AM

i don't care to hear or see EITHER of those roseannes and/or rosies.

Bob Green
02-06-2020, 05:20 PM
That leads me to Alex and Joey. These 2 guys "should" be the Duke players that other teams fear from beyond the arc, however their inconsistency is their nemesis.

Joey Baker is a 42.4% 3PT FG shooter. He has made 25 of 59 attempts. Best on the team for players with at least 10 attempts. Hard for me to complain about those numbers.

Yes, he has had multiple games where he went 0fer but as CDu states in his response, shooting 3 PT FGs is an inherently streaky business.

MarkD83
02-06-2020, 05:25 PM
JJ was a streak shooter. The difference is his streak started when he put on a duke jersey and didn’t end

rsvman
02-06-2020, 06:59 PM
JJ was a streak shooter. The difference is his streak started when he put on a duke jersey and didn’t end

LOL.

Even the great JJ, one of the best pure shooters ever, had some off nights.

Saratoga2
02-06-2020, 09:46 PM
LOL.

Even the great JJ, one of the best pure shooters ever, had some off nights.

There is a nice treatment of three point shooter in the link. One thing that isn't spoken about is the difference in defense different guys faced. Duke played a lot of high majors so hitting over 40% for a career may be better than hitting 45% at Davidson for instance. Who's to know.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-25/best-3-point-shooting-college-basketball-players-century