PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC 2/3 - 2/9

JasonEvans
02-03-2020, 01:04 PM
I'm no pfr... but we are talking so much about the upcoming week in other threads we probably need this sucker to get started:

Monday
7:00 PM North Carolina at #8 Florida State (-12) ESPN

Tuesday
7:00 PM #7 Duke at Boston College (+17) ESPN
7:00 PM Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech (-3) ACCN

Wednesday
6:30 PM Pittsburgh at Notre Dame (-5) ACCN
7:00 PM Clemson at Virginia (-6) ACCNx
8:30 PM NC State at Miami (+1) ACCN
9:00 PM Wake Forest at #5 Louisville (-15) ESPN2

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday
12:00 PM Miami at #8 Florida State (-13) ACCN
12:00 PM Boston College at Virginia Tech (-10) ACCNx
2:00 PM Georgia Tech at Pittsburgh (-4) ACCNx
4:00 PM Virginia at #5 Louisville (-11) ESPN
6:00 PM #7 Duke at North Carolina (+12) ESPN
8:00 PM Wake Forest at Syracuse (-7) ACCN

Sunday
6:00 PM Notre Dame at Clemson (-1) ACCN

ndkjr70
02-03-2020, 01:07 PM
Can anyone with a Kenpom subscription post the KP spreads like the other threads? Those are always interesting.

TruBlu
02-03-2020, 01:37 PM
Roy has announced that unc will only play their walkons and trainers tonight. In order to protect his starters and coaches, they will all remain in the locker room for the entire duration of the game . . . Except for Roy, who will be getting a massage and talking about Haiti. Vegas oddsmakers have not changed the spread upon hearing this announcement.

Seriously, will anyone storm the court after beating the cheaters this year?

tbyers11
02-03-2020, 01:38 PM
I'm no pfr... but we are talking so much about the upcoming week in other threads we probably need this sucker to get started:

Monday
7:00 PM North Carolina at #8 Florida State (-12) ESPN

Tuesday
7:00 PM #7 Duke at Boston College (+17) ESPN
7:00 PM Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech (-3) ACCN

Wednesday
6:30 PM Pittsburgh at Notre Dame (-5) ACCN
7:00 PM Clemson at Virginia (-6) ACCNx
8:30 PM NC State at Miami (+1) ACCN
9:00 PM Wake Forest at #5 Louisville (-15) ESPN2

Saturday
12:00 PM Miami at #8 Florida State (-13) ACCN
12:00 PM Boston College at Virginia Tech (-10) ACCNx
2:00 PM Georgia Tech at Pittsburgh (-4) ACCNx
4:00 PM Virginia at #5 Louisville (-11) ESPN
6:00 PM #7 Duke at North Carolina (+12) ESPN
8:00 PM Wake Forest at Syracuse (-7) ACCN

Sunday
6:00 PM Notre Dame at Clemson (-1) ACCN

Here you go. Line refers to home team.

pfrduke
02-03-2020, 01:59 PM

Monday
7:00 PM [97]North Carolina (3-7) (+12) at [18]Florida State (8-2) ESPN

Tuesday
7:00 PM [2]Duke (8-2) (-17) at [162]Boston College (5-6) ESPN
7:00 PM [84]Virginia Tech (5-6) (+3) at [91]Georgia Tech (4-7) ACCN

Wednesday
6:30 PM [81]Pittsburgh (5-6) (+5) at [57]Notre Dame (4-6) ACCN
7:00 PM [94]Clemson (5-6) (+6) at [54]Virginia (6-4) ACCNx
8:30 PM [70]NC State (5-6) (-1) at [114]Miami (3-8) ACCN
9:00 PM [104]Wake Forest (3-8) (+15) at [8]Louisville (10-1) ESPN2

Saturday
12:00 PM [114]Miami (3-8) (+13) at [18]Florida State (8-2) ACCN
12:00 PM [162]Boston College (5-6) (+10) at [84]Virginia Tech (5-6) ACCNx
2:00 PM [91]Georgia Tech (4-7) (+4) at [81]Pittsburgh (5-6) ACCNx
4:00 PM [54]Virginia (6-4) (+11) at [8]Louisville (10-1) ESPN
6:00 PM [2]Duke (8-2) (-12) at [97]North Carolina (3-8) ESPN
8:00 PM [104]Wake Forest (3-8) (+7) at [53]Syracuse (6-5) ACCN

Sunday
6:00 PM [57]Notre Dame (4-6) (+1) at [94]Clemson (5-6) ACCN

KP spreads/records/ranks inline above

Conference play efficiency margins below:

Duke - +22.9
Louisville - +14.3
Florida State - +9.8
Syracuse - +6.9
Virginia - +6.4
Notre Dame - +0.0
North Carolina - -0.8
NC State - -3.0
Pittsburgh - -3.3
Virginia Tech - -4.1
Georgia Tech - -4.8
Clemson - -5.5
Wake Forest - -6.3
Boston College - -13.3
Miami - -15.2

And sheesh, some people around here have no patience. :)

budwom
02-03-2020, 02:02 PM
Can anyone with a Kenpom subscription post the KP spreads like the other threads? Those are always interesting.

KenPom lines sure are close to the betting lines these days, which should not be surprising...

Hartford Dukie
02-03-2020, 02:05 PM
Hard to believe we would be a 12 point favorite on Saturday, basketball gods willing!

Tooold
02-03-2020, 02:08 PM
I've seen this movie before, and the villain is never dead. To me, the holes are like Glenn Close at the bottom of the tub, maybe not moving, but not quite dead yet, either. Go Noles!

According to IC, “BRob” is not playing tonight.

I feel really dirty after checking out that site. Those are some angry, mean people over there. As much as we diss Ole Roy here, I have never read anything as nasty as their posts about K. And they, too, are throwing the entire team under the bus as being “low IQ” and not worthy.

Tooold
02-03-2020, 02:13 PM
Well, to be fair, it's hardly Anthony's fault that on the final play all the other players in UGLY blue and white were standing in place watching Cole to see what was going to happen.

That sequence was absurd. What did they have, like, 17 seconds, down one? And they get a forced three pointer in triple coverage?

I think someone else mentioned this earlier (or on another thread), but apparently Cole was out of the room seeing the trainer during the practice when Roy talked about what to do if down by one point at the end of the game. Of course, this makes total sense and fits in with his past excuses:
1) this was the last thing we went over in practice but the team forgot
2) this is the least talented team I have ever coached
3) I guess I just need to coach them better.

All the more reason to NOT call a time out....

CDu
02-03-2020, 02:15 PM
Good lord willing, we'll see UNC teetering on the brink of at-large elimination come Sunday. An 0-2 stretch against two of the four matchups that could save their season would put them way up against the 8-ball, so to speak.

It all starts tonight. Come on, 'Noles!

House P
02-03-2020, 02:25 PM
10-10 would get them to 17-14 overall. 11-9 would get them to 18-13 overall. I think 11-9 and maybe 10-10 (especially if 2 of those 10 are against Duke/FSU/Louisville) in conference puts them in the 11 or 12 seed discussion, and it becomes a debate about how much to discount the games Anthony missed.

It may be worth pointing out that no ACC team with 14 or more loses has ever received an at-large bid. This will happen at some point, but it probably won't happen in 2020 given the relative weakness of the ACC this year.

That being said, if UNC somehow finishes the regular season at 18-13, it will mean they had a strong finish with several high profile wins following the return of their best player. In that case, I could see that committee discounting the Anthony-less games and giving UNC a bid.

Now the likelihood of UNC finishing 8-2 depends on how good they are with Anthony back in the lineup.

- If you take UNC's current, season-long rating, T-Rank estimates that Carolina has about a 0.1% chance of finishing 8-2 (http://www.barttorvik.com/conodds.php?conf=ACC).
- If you think Anthony's return makes UNC a borderline top 40 team, T-Rank or KenPom would predict that Carolina has about a 2% chance of finishing 8-2.
- If you think Anthony's return makes UNC a borderline top 25 team, Carolina has about a 5% chance of finishing 8-2.
- If you think Anthony'r return makes UNC a top 10 team, you are crazy. That being said, even the #10 team in the county would only have a 15-20% chance of finishing 8-2 vs UNC's schedule.

Hopefully, FSU and Duke will take care of business this week and the discussion will turn to UNC's chances of making the NIT. Is it true that the NIT no longer requires teams to finish 0.500 overall in order to quality?

budwom
02-03-2020, 02:28 PM

I feel really dirty after checking out that site. Those are some angry, mean people over there. As much as we diss Ole Roy here, I have never read anything as nasty as their posts about K. And they, too, are throwing the entire team under the bus as being “low IQ” and not worthy.

they are as vile as vile gets, but I can't help myself from looking after a nice unc loss.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2020, 02:48 PM
Good lord willing, we'll see UNC teetering on the brink of at-large elimination come Sunday. An 0-2 stretch against two of the four matchups that could save their season would put them way up against the 8-ball, so to speak.

Yeah, but because they play tonight, Roy will have an extra day to coach 'em up for our game.

ndkjr70
02-03-2020, 02:49 PM

They're not already at an at-large elimination? I just played around with Torvik's TeamCast and plugged in UNC winning all of their remaining games + one win in an ACC tournament and they're still in the first four out.

I think even 1 more ACC loss means bye-bye to the NCAAT for UNC.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-03-2020, 02:49 PM

DBR's mocking of his injury made me quite uncomfortable. We're better than that.

budwom
02-03-2020, 02:50 PM
If you don't use all of your timeouts in a particular game, can you carry them over to the next game? Asking for a friend....

OldPhiKap
02-03-2020, 02:52 PM
DBR's mocking of his injury made me quite uncomfortable. We're better than that.

Does anyone know whether he has been cleared for tonight and/or is making the trip to Tallahassee?

As for the discussion before about whether he takes soccer dives or not -- I don't watch 'em enough to know. Roy indicated in his last press conference that BRob has had a series of real injuries this season though so I am giving BRob the benefit of the doubt.

tbyers11
02-03-2020, 02:55 PM
I agree we should not mock injuries, but I took this at face value. There is a question as to whether he will play, or at least there was after the game Saturday.

Does anyone know whether he has been cleared for tonight and/or is making the trip to Tallahassee?

Info on too many separate tweets for a single screen cap, but RL Bynum's twitter (https://twitter.com/rl_bynum?lang=en) says:

- X-rays negative
- Not playing against FSU tonight
- Did make trip to Tallahassee but on crutches (in pics)

OldPhiKap
02-03-2020, 02:56 PM
Info on too many separate tweets for a single screen cap, but RL Bynum's twitter (https://twitter.com/rl_bynum?lang=en) says:

- X-rays negative
- Not playing against FSU tonight

Thanks, I hope for a full recovery. Maybe we'll see him on Saturday.

ndkjr70
02-03-2020, 02:58 PM

I’m certain you’re talking about my post, and I’m more certain I’d like you to clarify what you think “mocking” means?

Hingeknocker
02-03-2020, 03:08 PM
They're not already at an at-large elimination? I just played around with Torvik's TeamCast and plugged in UNC winning all of their remaining games + one win in an ACC tournament and they're still in the first four out.

I think the Heels are basically cooked, but IF they're going to get back on the bubble, going 2-0 against Top 10 teams within one week would certainly give them some buzz. For a team like them, with their star finally back from injury, a PR boost would be the jolt their tourney chances need. Their hail mary starts now.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2020, 03:12 PM
I think the Heels are basically cooked, but IF they're going to get back on the bubble, going 2-0 against Top 10 teams within one week would certainly give them some buzz. For a team like them, with their star finally back from injury, a PR boost would be the jolt their tourney chances need. Their hail mary starts now.

I think this is exactly right. This week gives them a shot at #7 (AP) and #8 (AP). It is do or die time for the Heels.

UrinalCake
02-03-2020, 03:16 PM

I’m not sure that simulation incorporates the human factor when considering Anthony’s injury. If they win out then the Committee will largely discount that stretch played without Anthony. And in this unlikely scenario, the regency bias would not only get them into the tournament, they would probably be a 4 or 5 seed.

CDu
02-03-2020, 03:18 PM

This was discussed heavily in last week's thread. Some think they need to win out in the regular season to get in. I think that winning out (getting to 20-11 and 13-7 with 9 Q1 wins and 5 them Q1-A) would get them comfortably in, even without discounting the losses without Anthony. And that's one place where Torvik's math will fall short - it does not discount games for injury purposes.

Also, Torvik's TeamCast would depend on who you have UNC beating and losing to in the ACC tournament. If they are 13-7 in conference, they'd likely be in the top-4 in the conference. So their win would likely be against a good team (probably a UVa or Syracuse), and their loss would likely be against a very good team in the semis.
I think 11-9 in conference would be enough to get it done. When I entered Clemson and Duke, it put UNC in the tournament.

But, it's all likely to be moot, as hopefully they'll be sitting at 3-9 in conference after Saturday, and then they'd need to win out the regular season to have a shot.

JasonEvans
02-03-2020, 03:23 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EP35C4GXsAEDNtQ?format=jpg&name=medium

-Jason "seems like he is not really putting much weight on it" Evans

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-03-2020, 03:48 PM
I’m certain you’re talking about my post, and I’m more certain I’d like you to clarify what you think “mocking” means?

I'm honestly not sure whose posts they were in the other thread, but some discussion over the likelihood that the UNC player was taking his injury for one reason or another.

I'm not going to do a deep dive into it, I just find it in poor taste to make fun of injuries, even to Tar Heels. I felt the same about the player who suffered a concussion in an accident with a drink driver.

ndkjr70
02-03-2020, 03:56 PM
I'm honestly not sure whose posts they were in the other thread, but some discussion over the likelihood that the UNC player was taking his injury for one reason or another.

I'm not going to do a deep dive into it, I just find it in poor taste to make fun of injuries, even to Tar Heels. I felt the same about the player who suffered a concussion in an accident with a drink driver.

I didn't see anyone mocking him, though. Certainly nobody made fun of him for being injured.

He's known around the ACC as the kind of guy who has a seemingly horrific injury that makes the entire stadium pray and the entire team kneel on the floor as he writhes in pain on the ground crying for the sweet release of death, only to be substituted back in triumphantly to the roar of the crowd six minutes later.

It's happened in more than a few UNC games this year, and seems to always fool the crowd and the announcers ("wow! look at this tough guy! wow, he's putting the team on his back!!!!") so it's fair to question whether or not this was yet another case of a dramatic player screaming that the sky was falling when most other players would've hobbled off the court without fanfare. By my count, he's been carried off the floor by teammates four times already this season.

Since it's apparent that he's got a real injury this time, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-03-2020, 03:59 PM
I didn't see anyone mocking him, though. Certainly nobody made fun of him for being injured.

He's known around the ACC as the kind of guy who has a seemingly horrific injury that makes the entire stadium pray and the entire team kneel on the floor as he writhes in pain on the ground crying for the sweet release of death, only to be substituted back in triumphantly to the roar of the crowd six minutes later.

It's happened in more than a few UNC games this year, and seems to always fool the crowd and the announcers ("wow! look at this tough guy! wow, he's putting the team on his back!!!!") so it's fair to question whether or not this was yet another case of a dramatic player screaming that the sky was falling when most other players would've hobbled off the court without fanfare. By my count, he's been carried off the floor by teammates four times already this season.

Since it's apparent that he's got a real injury this time, I wish him a speedy recovery.

I hear what you are saying. I'm just saying it makes me uncomfortable. I'll stop commenting on the issue now.

Go Duke!

Music man55
02-03-2020, 04:42 PM

I mentioned in an earlier thread that it would not surprise me if the cheats went on some late season run and squeaked into the dance. But that loss Sat.nite to BC, in my humble opinion, was a devastating blow for them. With their remaining games, it will be really difficult for them now. We shall see!

BD80
02-03-2020, 05:09 PM
Yeah, but because they play tonight, Roy will have an extra day to coach 'em up for our game.

Advantage Duke.

The real advantage for the heels, giving the managers an extra day to steam the bus tire treads out of the uniforms.

I think this is exactly right. This week gives them a shot at #7 (AP) and #8 (AP). It is do or die time for the Heels.

Let's hope this time wounds all heels.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EP35C4GXsAEDNtQ?format=jpg&name=medium

-Jason "seems like he is not really putting much weight on it" Evans

Poor guy, he'll never be able to get out of the way of the bus ...

House P
02-03-2020, 05:13 PM
I mentioned in an earlier thread that it would not surprise me if the cheats went on some late season run and squeaked into the dance. But that loss Sat.nite to BC, in my humble opinion, was a devastating blow for them. With their remaining games, it will be really difficult for them now. We shall see!

The BC loss also hurts the argument that "UNC is a completely different team with Cole Anthony". Hard to say this with a straight face when they lost a home game to BC with Anthony in the lineup.

TKG
02-03-2020, 05:19 PM
Roy looks like he escaped from the Villages with that warm up suit.....

OldPhiKap
02-03-2020, 05:19 PM
The BC loss also hurts the argument that "UNC is a completely different team with Cole Anthony". Hard to say this with a straight face when they lost a home game to BC with Anthony in the lineup.

But they are a completely different team. It's just that both teams suck.

CDu
02-03-2020, 07:29 PM
Heels playing with a lot of verve early, up 18-12 at FSU. FSU has been sloppy. Hopefully they can tighten things up and UNC will remember they are bad.

BandAlum83
02-03-2020, 07:30 PM
FSU not looking like a top 10 team right now, and this game can only be described as boring.

downeastdad
02-03-2020, 07:46 PM
This is the #8 team in the land? Noles can't hit a bull in the butt with a banjo.

downeastdad
02-03-2020, 07:48 PM
This is the #8 team in the land? Noles can't hit a bull in the butt with a banjo.

There was a reverse jinx if ever I saw one.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2020, 07:49 PM
FSU 9-0 run to end half up.

Who on FSU did they help off the court at halftime?

DU82
02-03-2020, 07:50 PM
FSU 9-0 run to end half up.

Who on FSU did they help off the court at halftime?

The one who was roll-blocked by Anthony.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2020, 07:53 PM
And thereby ensuring he won’t have to do any in-game coaching or call any timeouts because they will have covered everything and then some during their practices.

Music man55
02-03-2020, 07:56 PM
The Seminoles were looking a lot like that team from Raleigh that likes to play rollover and die against the cheats until that run right before the half. C'mon Noles,get with it in the second half and go on and take this game tonight. Please!!

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2020, 07:57 PM
The one who was roll-blocked by Anthony.
I assume they’re going to show the video of Anthony injuring Walker over and over and over. Right?

arnie
02-03-2020, 08:03 PM
I’m not sure that simulation incorporates the human factor when considering Anthony’s injury. If they win out then the Committee will largely discount that stretch played without Anthony. And in this unlikely scenario, the regency bias would not only get them into the tournament, they would probably be a 4 or 5 seed.

Can’t agree with “largely discount” games lost without Anthony. They lost to some average-to-below average ACC teams in his absence and teams that are worthy will beat those average teams with one star out. Agree his absence will be considered, but two losses to Pitt, GaT, Clemson at home will still be bad losses. And remember, they still only have one very good win.

I think they have to go 11-9 or 12-8 to get in. ACC just not great this year.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2020, 08:06 PM
Ol Roy is not in the dadgum halftime interview spirit.

ncexnyc
02-03-2020, 08:16 PM
Not a great deal of passion being shown by FSU. It would appear they thought the Cheats were going to mail it in.

devildeac
02-03-2020, 08:27 PM
I assume they’re going to show the video of Anthony injuring Walker over and over and over. Right?

They'll likely photoshop Grayson in somehow.

:mad:

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Great point guards make their teammates better. Cole Anthony is a black hole.

devildeac
02-03-2020, 08:34 PM

But he's leading the team in points, boards, FGA, 3FGA, TO, injuring other team's players and yelling at his own team :rolleyes:.

devildeac
02-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Somehow, all these f$u fouls won't be fouls when we play them. :mad:

jacone21
02-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Flop City

duke4ever19
02-03-2020, 08:40 PM

I know! An NBA team is going to draft him over our guy? I guess that's why I'm not an NBA scout, because I don't see it.

I watched him before the injury too, so I know it's not a matter of 'rust.'

downeastdad
02-03-2020, 08:41 PM
But he's leading the team in points, boards, FGA, 3FGA, TO, injuring other team's players and yelling at his own team :rolleyes:.

Not to mention time on his back.

arnie
02-03-2020, 08:43 PM
I know! An NBA team is going to draft him over our guy? I guess that's why I'm not an NBA scout, because I don't see it.

I watched him before the injury too, so I know it's not a matter of 'rust.'

I think he needs to shoot more and rest of players go to the corner.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2020, 08:43 PM
Refs doing their best to keep the cheats in it.

devildeac
02-03-2020, 08:44 PM
16-7 FT advantage and they're still losing by 8. Hopefully, the trend holds.

curtis325
02-03-2020, 08:50 PM

Also leading his team in missed front end of one-and-ones (missed two of them).

devildeac
02-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Also leading his team in missed front end of one-and-ones (missed two of them).

Another positive!!!!

:cool:

arnie
02-03-2020, 08:57 PM
Another positive!!!!

:cool:

All ACC Brooks and Bacot with 9 total pts. Bet they’re glad Cole in control.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2020, 08:58 PM
I can’t recall a single pass into the post for the cheats all night.

devildeac
02-03-2020, 08:58 PM

Should make bilas proud :rolleyes:.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2020, 09:03 PM
Nice shot by Anthony there.

devildeac
02-03-2020, 09:06 PM
9A:16TO for f$u. Blecch.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2020, 09:08 PM
Where’s Moonpie to call it?

ETA: LOL, on the jinx thread!

devildeac
02-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Sure seems like roy has called about 7 TO this half :rolleyes:.

wsb3
Heels look good

Dr. Rosenrosen
I love it. Anthony comes back and they get worse on offense.

devildeac
02-03-2020, 09:10 PM
cheats looked good

wsb3
02-03-2020, 09:10 PM

Remember he had those he saved from previous games.

arnie
02-03-2020, 09:11 PM
I love it. Anthony comes back and they get worse on offense.

5 of 23

accfanfrom1970
02-03-2020, 09:11 PM

But what is he drinking tonight ? :) I recommend the highest abv possible. Makes it less painful when the bus runs over everyone :)

devildeac
02-03-2020, 09:12 PM
5 of 23

3 of 8

Music man55
02-03-2020, 09:12 PM
Geez, how many times did the cheats get a call to bail them out? FSU still wins despite the calls. Yes!

Tripping William
02-03-2020, 09:13 PM
5 of 23

FSU sure roughed him up. This board (me included) will melt down if they get to manhandle Tre Jones that way.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2020, 09:14 PM
5 of 23
For 16pts.

Brooks and Bacot got 11 total shots combined. Made just four field goals combined.

Dumpster fire.

Me likely.

devildeac
FSU sure roughed him up. This board (me included) will melt down if they get to manhandle Tre Jones that way.

They've done that many a time to us. It's the Hamilton way. Just you wait...

Tooold

Roy used all his TOs and got an extra TO from the officials when they had to review OOBs in final minute.

And yelling at your teammates is really not a good look, in my book.

devildeac
02-03-2020, 09:15 PM
For 16pts.

Brooks and Bacot got 11 total shots combined. Made just four field goals combined.

Dumpster fire.

Me likely.

Maybe anthony shoulda yelled at them more...

:D

DU82
02-03-2020, 09:16 PM
I don’t understand all this talk about the cheaters not making the tournament. I really doubt any Power 5/6 team with 22 wins will be left out.

22 wins? You all might think they’re 10-12, but when Roy says they beat themselves, he counts it in his win column.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2020, 09:16 PM
But what is he drinking tonight ? :) I recommend the highest abv possible. Makes it less painful when the bus runs over everyone :)
Brooks and Bacot are in the most danger. They are gonna get trounced for Anthony’s lack of passing.

arnie
02-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Roy used all his TOs and got an extra TO from the officials when they had to review OOBs in final minute.

And yelling at your teammates is really not a good look, in my book.

Ole Roy tells em to be subservient to Cole. They’ll listen and bow down as necessary.

Tripping William
02-03-2020, 09:17 PM
They've done that many a time to us. It's the Hamilton way. Just you wait...

Well, there’s a million things they *haven’t* done .....

CDu
02-03-2020, 09:19 PM
Whew! The Noles tried hard to gag, but did just enough to win at home against UNC. One of the Heels’ last four chances to get a statement regular-season win is now gone. Hopefully opportunity #2 disappears this weekend. And hopefully with less stress.

Music man55
02-03-2020, 09:30 PM
Like a lot of other posters have alluded to, I can't understand why Ol'Huck is letting Cole take all those shots without passing in to the post. If I was the Brooks kid.I would be the one yelling at his teammate,and that would be Anthony. Of course, I hope they keep on playing that way, because it sure ain't working. And that's a good thing.

Tooold
02-03-2020, 09:48 PM
I don’t understand all this talk about the cheaters not making the tournament. I really doubt any Power 5/6 team with 22 wins will be left out.

22 wins? You all might think they’re 10-12, but when Roy says they beat themselves, he counts it in his win column.

Haha. That is very funny. They DO teach a different kind of math over there.

ndkjr70
02-03-2020, 10:14 PM
ACCN has 2013 Duke UNC on. Not to beat a dead horse, but Duke just took the lead on a transition three from Suliamon and I don’t know if the crazies have been that crazy ever since. That place VIOLENTLY erupted. Brings a tear to my eye.

EDIT: it’s a five point game with over 11 minutes to go and these crazies are living and dying on every possession. Offensive rebounds sound like buzzer beaters. I didn’t buy much into the “the Cameron crazies aren’t what they used to be” before but I’m watching this and it’s undeniable.

gofurman
02-03-2020, 10:19 PM

this talk of UNC In the tourney is bafffling. example: I don't hear anyone saying NotreDame can get in. ND who is 63rd in the NET vs 90+ for UNC and ND is 13-8 vs 10-12 UNC.

UrinalCake
02-03-2020, 10:22 PM
Over on IC they’re discussing why Anthony needs to return for another year. Really wish I had made a pie bet about him like I did last season with Little. It’s almost comical how they continue to think their top-5 players should stay multiple years in their program. They already think Walker Kessler is going to come off the bench and stay multiple years.

devildeac
02-03-2020, 10:29 PM
I hope my glee continues after our game is complete tomorrow night. Always worried about a road game in the ACC, especially after our loss at Clemson this season :(.

duke2x
02-03-2020, 10:30 PM
this talk of UNC In the tourney is bafffling. example: I don't hear anyone saying NotreDame can get in. ND who is 63rd in the NET vs 90+ for UNC and ND is 13-8 vs 10-12 UNC.

NET is not a good measure of how they will be evaluated. They will still have to do the minimum possible, which I think is 17-14 regular season and 2 ACCT wins for an at-large. The win against Oregon is only worth so much, particularly with Michigan and OSU struggling.

17-14 - 10-12 - NCSU - 2 Wake = 4-2 against Duke, UVA, @Duke, @Louisville, @Syracuse, @ND. Torvik has them a draw for UVA only.

PackMan97
02-03-2020, 10:58 PM
I'm so glad that beating NC State didnt' turn their season around. Suck it cheaters!

rsvman
02-03-2020, 11:49 PM

"u"NC and "teach" don't belong together.

BD80
02-03-2020, 11:53 PM
Any bus casualties from ol' roy's post game presser?

Other than fashion - anyone else notice that ol' roy is dressing more and more like Sylvia Hatchell?

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-04-2020, 06:36 AM
As predicted, Bacot and Brooks took it on the chin for “not moving well.” Leaky got run over for his execution on one particular play. Roy repeatedly bemoaned the poor shooting and poor work at the free throw line. But he never once called out Anthony by name. Oh, and he said he didn’t know how to get his guys to play better together or they’d already be doing it. So, pretty standard.

dukelion
02-04-2020, 06:52 AM
Anthony was shooting 36% from the field before his injury so it's not like they didn't know he's an efficiency nightmare.

I actually think there are worse with him at this point.

Can still get hot of course but the kid is gonna start to slide down the draft boards.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-04-2020, 07:03 AM
5 of 23

.....hmmm....I worry some about regression to the mean in their next game.....

OldPhiKap
02-04-2020, 07:09 AM
Can still get hot of course but the kid is gonna start to slide down the draft boards.

Yeah, but he will be a handful by his junior year.

Tooold
02-04-2020, 07:47 AM
I think I just made my last visit to the IC. Yeech.

First off, the loss to FSU was all the ref’s fault (again). Lucky really hates them, and that has been a known fact for years. He always looks for opportunities to call fouls against them. (Never mind that FSU had one more foul called against them, and the teams shot the exact same number of FTs)

Second, apparently not only did K introduce the technique in which the shooter throws his legs into the defender in order to get to the FT line (they are still moaning about the “worst call in history” in the BC game), but Duke is 100% responsible for all the cases of lung cancer in the world.

And Roy said that, while he thinks FSU has a great team, he doubts Leonard is proud of his team’s performance last night. He didn’t give specifics. I hope he meant that FSU had an off night, but could he possibly have been alluding to the physical play?

The IC is a nasty, angry group. There is no logic, only whining. And when outrageous, mean-spirited comments are made, no one sets the record straight.

Indoor66
02-04-2020, 07:52 AM

Other than fashion - anyone else notice that ol' roy is dressing more and more like Sylvia Hatchell?

He inherited her wardrobe.

CDu
02-04-2020, 07:59 AM

The talk of UNC getting in is not based on what they have done to this point. It is based on what they would need to do moving forward (I.e., win a bunch of games, including multiple against top-20 teams. If that happened, their NET rating wouldn’t be a hindrance. And I think everyone talking about it feels it is exceedingly unlikely that they make it.

And that was before they lost in one of their four chances to get a statement win last night.

As for the Notre Dame comp, if they go 8-2 to finish the regular season at 21-10 and 12-8 in conference, they would get in too. But that is also unlikely.

arnie
02-04-2020, 08:31 AM
....hmmm...I worry some about regression to the mean in their next game....

The regression to the mean for Cole has already occurred. The ESPN box after the game showed Anthony 5 of 23. Now the box shows 5 of 22 and R. Williams is not listed with a missed FG. I guess he had the miss reassigned to a big.

Jaks19
02-04-2020, 08:37 AM
He will be a better Pro than college players... Should have been a player that went straight to the Pro's

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-04-2020, 09:03 AM
He will be a better Pro than college players... Should have been a player that went straight to the Pro's

You rarely see players do that anymore. And it worked so well for Kobe!

TKG
02-04-2020, 09:04 AM
And Roy said that, while he thinks FSU has a great team, he doubts Leonard is proud of his team’s performance last night. He didn’t give specifics. I hope he meant that FSU had an off night, but could he possibly have been alluding to the physical play?.

This is right out of The Myth's playbook. Physical play is dishonorable and is an affront to the finesse with which the Cheats practice the game. While it is not the only example, it is perhaps the most bitter, was The Myth's unwillingness to call BC's Billy Curley by his name after the Eagles beat the Cheats in the NCAAT. The Myth would only refer to Curley by his number while moaning about how physical Curley played.

Has Roy ever had a original basketball thought?

devildeac
02-04-2020, 09:12 AM
The cheats lost last PM by 6 on the home court of the #8 team in both polls. Are the cheats better than their #90-something "ranking" or are the 'Noles over-rated? Or are both valid points? Of course, I'm mildly worried about tonight's game along with being worried about Saturday's tussle at the dean's myth center. 10176

budwom
02-04-2020, 09:13 AM
The talk of UNC getting in is not based on what they have done to this point. It is based on what they would need to do moving forward (I.e., win a bunch of games, including multiple against top-20 teams. If that happened, their NET rating wouldn’t be a hindrance. And I think everyone talking about it feels it is exceedingly unlikely that they make it.

And that was before they lost in one of their four chances to get a statement win last night.

As for the Notre Dame comp, if they go 8-2 to finish the regular season at 21-10 and 12-8 in conference, they would get in too. But that is also unlikely.

Indeed, they are not yet eliminated, but last night's loss was certainly helpful, and we can add another nail to the coffin Saturday. Had they won last night (and they could well have) and on Saturday (don't rule it out by any means) they'd have had some momentum. Behooves us to stop that cold this weekend. Get 'em to 11 league losses and I'll rest easy.

OldPhiKap
02-04-2020, 09:18 AM
The regression to the mean for Cole has already occurred. The ESPN box after the game showed Anthony 5 of 23. Now the box shows 5 of 22 and R. Williams is not listed with a missed FG. I guess he had the miss reassigned to a big.

5-22 from the field, 3-8 from the line. 4 fouls. And somehow the pg was the leading rebounder.

17 straight missed shots as a team.

{boom}

Having said that, UNC played with some fire and fight. I expect them to bring it hard on Saturday against us at home. As always, a battle of who wants it more.

ndkjr70
02-04-2020, 09:31 AM

He.... couldn't do that lol.

SouthernDukie
02-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Indeed, they are not yet eliminated, but last night's loss was certainly helpful, and we can add another nail to the coffin Saturday. Had they won last night (and they could well have) and on Saturday (don't rule it out by any means) they'd have had some momentum. Behooves us to stop that cold this weekend. Get 'em to 11 league losses and I'll rest easy.

I think 10 losses will eliminate the Heels from consideration, so if we can win on Saturday it's all but a done deal they won't be going to the Dance. They'd have to catch lightning in a bottle at Greensboro to pull off that miracle. After all, they still have to play us twice, play UVA in the Myth Dome, play at Louisville, and play at Syracuse. I don't see them getting through that gauntlet with less than 2 losses, so I'm fairly comfortable predicting they will not make the NCAA's.

Having said all that, I expect Saturday's game (not looking ahead - so no jinx here) to be a coin flip. No way would I be surprised if they beat us in Chapel Hell this weekend.

Neals384
02-04-2020, 10:38 AM
5-22 from the field, 3-8 from the line. 4 fouls. And somehow the pg was the leading rebounder.

17 straight missed shots as a team.

{boom}

Having said that, UNC played with some fire and fight. I expect them to bring it hard on Saturday against us at home. As always, a battle of who wants it more.

Watched much of the 2nd half, focusing on Anthony's defense. He doesn't put much effort into it, and that's putting it lightly. Often camps out near the paint while his man is on the 3 pt line...maybe, because he turns his head and loses track. Tre may be high scored Saturday. That's how a point guard gets 8 boards.

CDu
02-04-2020, 10:50 AM
The cheats lost last PM by 6 on the home court of the #8 team in both polls. Are the cheats better than their #90-something "ranking" or are the 'Noles over-rated? Or are both valid points? Of course, I'm mildly worried about tonight's game along with being worried about Saturday's tussle at the dean's myth center. 10176

FSU played pretty poorly on offense, which was the main reason the Heels kept it close. The Noles were REALLY sloppy with the ball, with some mindnumbingly bad turnovers. And on the other side, they really struggled to force turnovers against UNC, which is usually one of their strengths. This one feels more like a case of FSU playing down to its opponent rather than UNC being better than their record suggests.

Stray Gator
02-04-2020, 10:50 AM

I watched the game last night, and my impression was that the Noles only ratcheted up their intensity and really played hard during the last two minutes of the first half, when they went on a 9-0 run to take the lead for the first time, and then sporadically through a few portions of the second half. For the rest of the time, they just didn't seem to be taking the game seriously, and were exerting about 75-80% of their normal effort. (The Civic Center was only half full when the game started, and the crowd didn't do much to motivate the team until UNC got close in the last couple of minutes.)

On the other hand, I thought that UNC played better defense than usual, and appeared to be especially quick to switch assignments and cover at the perimeter before FSU players could get off a shot -- although part of that may be attributable some lackadaisical effort by the Noles. Offensively, though, I'm just not accustomed to seeing a Carolina team launch so many outside shots without much effort to get the ball inside, and I was not impressed with their ability to improvise. Anthony ends up taking a lot of shots, but that may simply reflect the lack of a better plan or preferable option.

ndkjr70
02-04-2020, 11:04 AM
For whatever it's worth, Duke is 11-2 against unranked UNC teams since 1999 (as far back as I cared to check). Both losses, unsurprisingly, were at Carolina -- a 74-66 UNC win over #5 Duke in 2014, and an 82-79 Carolina win over #10 Duke in 2003 (a loss that was quickly avenged five days later in the ACC Tournament).

It's hard to believe that the last time Duke won a game in the Smith Center was Derryck Thornton's amazing defense in a shocking #20 Duke over #5 UNC upset. Seems like ages ago. Of course last year was played without Zion (and I believe Bolden went down early in the game too).

Crossing my fingers this will be the fabled "beat UNC 3 times in a single season" year.

bigperm13
02-04-2020, 11:54 AM
While the week of December 3 and 6 playing at Sparty and Va Tech after the home loss to SFA was daunting, this 3 game in 6 day stretch will be the biggest factors in Duke's seeding for the NCAA tourney. Win all 3 and Duke is in the driver's seat. First step is the away conference trap game, let's get it.

devildeac
02-04-2020, 12:19 PM
I watched the game last night, and my impression was that the Noles only ratcheted up their intensity and really played hard during the last two minutes of the first half, when they went on a 9-0 run to take the lead for the first time, and then sporadically through a few portions of the second half. For the rest of the time, they just didn't seem to be taking the game seriously, and were exerting about 75-80% of their normal effort. (The Civic Center was only half full when the game started, and the crowd didn't do much to motivate the team until UNC got close in the last couple of minutes.)

On the other hand, I thought that UNC played better defense than usual, and appeared to be especially quick to switch assignments and cover at the perimeter before FSU players could get off a shot -- although part of that may be attributable some lackadaisical effort by the Noles. Offensively, though, I'm just not accustomed to seeing a Carolina team launch so many outside shots without much effort to get the ball inside, and I was not impressed with their ability to improvise. Anthony ends up taking a lot of shots, but that may simply reflect the lack of a better plan or preferable option.

Good observations/teaching points! Thanks, Stray!

DukieInBrasil
02-04-2020, 12:22 PM
I really like how good the Holes have looked since Anthony returned. They are perhaps better, to my eye. I really hope Anthony keeps up his sub 25% FG shooting, it's beautiful. Aside from CA's gorgeous play, he seems to have made everyone else around him better, Brooks went from an absolute monster to a meek mouse (2-8 FGs). If Robinson had played perhaps they would have had FSU more on the ropes, but it's hard to overcome a 5-22 performance from your "main scorer". In fact only 2 players had even marginally good games: Bacot (6&6 on 2-3 FGs) and Keeling who had 14 pts on 5-10 FGs. Otherwise, they just played beautiful UNCheat basketball.

House P
02-04-2020, 12:30 PM
FSU played pretty poorly on offense, which was the main reason the Heels kept it close. The Noles were REALLY sloppy with the ball, with some mindnumbingly bad turnovers.

Last night's game was the first time I saw FSU play this season, but I came away relatively unimpressed. They were solid, but didn't look like a National Title contender.

Two things stood out to me in particular.

1. Where are all the big guys? Isn't Leonard Hamilton required to have 3-4 guys on the roster who are 7'2" or taller? FSU spent more than half the game without anyone on the court taller than 6'9". This seemed to play out in UNC getting lots of offensive rebounds. FSU got a several key defensive rebounds down the stretch which helped cement the win, but it was painful to watch UNC get so many second chances over the first 30 minutes or so.

2. Why was that stocky 6'8" 260 pound guy (#1) routinely leading the fast break for FSU? Surely they have better ballhandlers than this guy. The boxscore said that he only had 4 turnovers (in 23 minutes played), but it seemed like nothing good happened whenever he had the ball in the open court.

On the other hand, there were a few times last night when FSU came pretty close to knocking the ball away from Cole Anthony by sneaking up from behind him. Hopefully, Cole is visiting the trainer when Roy works on the fast break and ballhandling this week.

Devils Librarian
02-04-2020, 01:17 PM
Post game quotes about what went wrong for UNC:

Roy Williams, "We've got to figure out a way to get Armando and Garrison to move better and the perimeter players to throw it to them more.... We're not the kind of club right now that can have one guy and say my guy can whip your guy in the low post. We've had a lot of those guys in the past. We don't have anybody like that now."

Garrison Brooks offered a different opinion of what went wrong:

Brooks, "Just not getting us the ball. I think we did a fair job. We were open sometimes. I think we can just do a better job of getting open for the guards, but I thought Mando did a good job today getting position. I think we've just got to get him the ball in the right spot."

Uh oh.

Devils Librarian
02-04-2020, 01:21 PM
Post game quotes about what went wrong for UNC:

Roy Williams, "We've got to figure out a way to get Armando and Garrison to move better and the perimeter players to throw it to them more... We're not the kind of club right now that can have one guy and say my guy can whip your guy in the low post. We've had a lot of those guys in the past. We don't have anybody like that now."

Garrison Brooks offered a different opinion of what went wrong:

Brooks, "Just not getting us the ball. I think we did a fair job. We were open sometimes. I think we can just do a better job of getting open for the guards, but I thought Mando did a good job today getting position. I think we've just got to get him the ball in the right spot."

Uh oh.

Look, I know that Garrison Brooks has had back-to-back rough games (hmmm, I wonder what changed?), but I am very surprised at Roy's willingness to run the kid down when without his effort UNC would have lost more games and by much wider margins.

ncexnyc
02-04-2020, 01:28 PM
I'd have to agree with Brooks take on this matter. Prior to CA's return they were starting to look like the Cheats of old with the two big man power game.

Lar77
02-04-2020, 01:52 PM
FSU was sloppy last night for large parts of the game. They have good players, but they make a bunch of unforced errors.
Where is the 7 footer?
Cheats did a good job of rebounding on the O side, but had a lot of opportunities
They are deferring a lot to CA
CA does not like to play defense
Would that have been a 15 yard penalty?
You may have missed Bacot's flop on a free throw attempt. Ball goes up, FSU guy does a normal box out, and AB falls like he got a coronavirus injection. I thought I saw the ref just smirk

Cheats are capable, but they just don't play as a team
FSU will play better at Cameron
I guess nobody wants to rush the floor when they beat the cheats -or else Roy wanted his players trampled so he could use that excuse

CDu
02-04-2020, 02:45 PM
Look, I know that Garrison Brooks has had back-to-back rough games (hmmm, I wonder what changed?), but I am very surprised at Roy's willingness to run the kid down when without his effort UNC would have lost more games and by much wider margins.

Yeah, in the 11 games without Anthony, Brooks averaged 18.9 points and 10.2 rebounds and shot 55.9% from the field, scoring double digits every game and getting 8 double doubles. In the 11 games with Anthony, Brooks has averaged 10.8 points and 7.9 rebounds and has shot under 50% from the field and has just 2 double doubles. Clearly there is a disconnect between him and Anthony.

Conversely, Bacot has been much more efficient in his scoring with Anthony than without, but has basically put up the same count stats either way.

But given that Brooks has played as well as he has this year, that's a pretty crappy comment by Williams.

BD80
02-04-2020, 02:57 PM

Crossing my fingers this will be the fabled "beat UNC 3 times in a single season" year.

No chance we beat them 4 times this year.

thedukelamere
02-04-2020, 03:20 PM
I personally hope they lose the #15 vs #10 game and we don't even have a chance to win the third matchup :cool:

Devils Librarian
02-04-2020, 03:46 PM
But given that Brooks has played as well as he has this year, that's a pretty crappy comment by Williams.

Considering how the kid has sat on the court and wept because he played to the point of exhaustion and it still wasn't enough to get his team the win, I'd say that he deserves a lot more than getting to hear his coach tell anyone who will listen how there's NO TALENT on this team except for Cole - The Rainmaker - Anthony.

Do you remember when we lost to Gonzaga after RJ missed however many shots in a row, and K stood up for RJ in the press conference, and then Lebron retweeted K's comments and said something like, "My guy"? How hard would it be for Roy to extend that courtesy to Brooks?

I don't understand what Roy's trying to do here.

devildeac
02-04-2020, 03:54 PM
Considering how the kid has sat on the court and wept because he played to the point of exhaustion and it still wasn't enough to get his team the win, I'd say that he deserves a lot more than getting to hear his coach tell anyone who will listen how there's NO TALENT on this team except for Cole - The Rainmaker - Anthony.

Do you remember when we lost to Gonzaga after RJ missed however many shots in a row, and K stood up for RJ in the press conference, and then Lebron retweeted K's comments and said something like, "My guy"? How hard would it be for Roy to extend that courtesy to Brooks?

I don't understand what Roy's trying to do here.

Retirement beckons...

Troublemaker
02-04-2020, 03:58 PM

It's very cringey, for sure. Roy is so desperate to have a Kyrie in the Association (or if you're a Duke fan that no longer likes Kyrie, insert a replacement young Duke star of choice; we have a few :-) that he will kowtow to Cole and throw everyone else on his team under the bus. Hopefully Cole turns out to be a mediocre NBA player so Roy will learn a valuable lesson in treating his players without NBA potential the right way.

Spanarkel
02-04-2020, 04:15 PM
FSU was sloppy last night for large parts of the game. They have good players, but they make a bunch of unforced errors.
Where is the 7 footer?
Cheats did a good job of rebounding on the O side, but had a lot of opportunities
They are deferring a lot to CA
CA does not like to play defense
Would that have been a 15 yard penalty?
You may have missed Bacot's flop on a free throw attempt. Ball goes up, FSU guy does a normal box out, and AB falls like he got a coronavirus injection. I thought I saw the ref just smirk

Cheats are capable, but they just don't play as a team
FSU will play better at Cameron
I guess nobody wants to rush the floor when they beat the cheats -or else Roy wanted his players trampled so he could use that excuse

I'm sure you didn't mean anything here, but another analogy unrelated to an epidemic/near pandemic, lethal virus would be much appreciated.

jv001
02-04-2020, 04:35 PM
It's very cringey, for sure. Roy is so desperate to have a Kyrie in the Association (or if you're a Duke fan that no longer likes Kyrie, insert a replacement young Duke star of choice; we have a few :-) that he will kowtow to Cole and throw everyone else on his team under the bus. Hopefully Cole turns out to be a mediocre NBA player so Roy will learn a valuable lesson in treating his players without NBA potential the right way.

Not saying you no longer like Kyrie but it's sad to see some Duke fans that's soured on one of the best Duke players to ever play at Duke University. Kyrie has shown his love for Duke since leaving for the NBA. I know he's made some outrageous statements in the media but why hate on a guy when he's never gotten into trouble on or off the court. I know Coach K loves the guy and that's good enough for me.

GoDuke!

gofurman
02-04-2020, 05:54 PM

I see 4 game stretch that scares me - at the Cuse/W, at BC (trap).. at UNC, FSU on one day turn - this is a brutal stretch. win tonight helps

CameronDuke
02-04-2020, 09:02 PM
Final from Atlanta: GT 76, VT 57.

GT improves to 11-12, 5-7.

VT falls to 14-9, 5-7.

arnie
02-04-2020, 09:47 PM
Final from Atlanta: GT 76, VT 57.

GT improves to 11-12, 5-7.

VT falls to 14-9, 5-7.

Looking like only UVA or Syracuse may come out of the middle to get a bid. Just don’t think Pack or VaT have what it takes.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-04-2020, 10:00 PM
I did not realize until tonight that Cole Anthony is 19 and will turn 20 in May. Just an interesting factoid. Guess papa Anthony held him back so he could flourish among younger players. He’s talented for sure. But it could be that he’s finally playing against the big boys and finding it to be a lot tougher. Wouldn’t be unheard of. We saw what happened with Trevon.

wilson
02-05-2020, 10:41 AM
...Crossing my fingers this will be the fabled "beat UNC 3 times in a single season" year.I too am crossing my fingers for this possibility, but it's more than "fabled" at this point...we beat unc 3x without a loss in 1964, 1966, 1988, and 1999.

tbyers11
02-05-2020, 10:59 AM
I too am crossing my fingers for this possibility, but it's more than "fabled" at this point...we beat unc 3x without a loss in 1964, 1966, 1988, and 1999.

You can throw 2002 in there as well. Or does beating the 8-20 UNC team three times not count :p

devildeac
02-05-2020, 02:08 PM
You can throw 2002 in there as well. Or does beating the 8-20 UNC team three times not count :p

SPCA shoulda been contacted...

(Well, for the cheats, maybe not:rolleyes:;).)

Disclaimer: This post in no way advocates physically abusing any animals lest someone interpret it in that manner.

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 06:45 PM
UVa -7.5 at home in Charlottesville tonight over Clemson.

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 07:23 PM
Notre Dame up 42-33 at the half vs Pitt in South Bend.

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 07:46 PM
UVa up 26-14 at the half over Clemson in Charlottesville.

UVa simply locks you up defensively. They’re shaping into one of the teams I would least like to see as a 7-9 seed in my bracket. They have the best defense in America again on Kenpom now.

Clemson will have to work hard to score 40 tonight. The same Clemson that dropped 79 on Duke last month in LittleJohn.

WakeDevil
02-05-2020, 07:48 PM
VA 26-14 at the half. For those who have insomnia, this game is for you.

Stray Gator
02-05-2020, 07:49 PM
UVa -7.5 at home in Charlottesville tonight over Clemson.

At the half, UVA leads 26-14. That's right -- Clemson has scored a total of 14 points in an entire half of basketball. The fact that Duke lost to this Clemson team is to me more cringeworthy than Duke's loss at home to SFA.

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 07:53 PM
At the half, UVA leads 26-14. That's right -- Clemson has scored a total of 14 points in an entire half of basketball. The fact that Duke lost to this Clemson team is to me more cringeworthy than Duke's loss at home to SFA.

Agreed. This Clemson team looks awful tonight and are just 11-10, 5-6 overall. They are pretty bad in my judgment. UVa should win this one comfortably. Clemson has close to zero ball movement and not many offensive rebounds thus far. It’s one shot down each time for them and they’re not making many. UVa is hedging most ball screens at the top of the key and guarding the rim fiercely.

UVa is also starting to shoot 3s a bit better recently. I believe they were 4-10 from 3 that half. That’s an improvement from their season percentage.

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Notre Dame beats Pitt in South Bend 80-72.

Notre Dame improves to 14-8, 5-6.

Pitt falls to 14-9, 5-7.

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 08:35 PM
Clemson has gone to a zone and shut UVa down offensively. They’ve clawed back into it. 36-34 UVa with 5:19 left. UVa is now just 5-18 (27.8%) from 3.

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 08:39 PM
39-34 UVa at the under 4 and they’re shooting 2 after the TV timeout. Barring a meltdown, looks like they should win and might hold Clemson under 40 points.

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 09:00 PM
UVa holds on 51-44 for the win over Clemson in Charlottesville. UVa is trending towards being an NCAAT team and they have a big game at Louisville Saturday. They have owned Louisville lately the past few season it seems.

UVa improves to 15-6, 7-4.

Clemson falls to 11-11, 5-7.

Wahoo2000
02-05-2020, 09:29 PM
UVa holds on 51-44 for the win over Clemson in Charlottesville. UVa is trending towards being an NCAAT team and they have a big game at Louisville Saturday. They have owned Louisville lately the past few season it seems.

UVa improves to 15-6, 7-4.

Clemson falls to 11-11, 5-7.

To be fair, we (UVA) have pretty much owned everybody in the ACC aside from Duke since the 13-14 season. None of those teams' successes seem to have much impact on what we're doing this season. I expect Louisville to roll us unless we have a couple guys shoot waaaaaaay over their season averages from 3. Even with that, it's probably just a competitive game, not a likely UVA win. It's by far UVA's toughest game (per kenpom) remaining, with him projecting us as a double digit dog, and only 18% chance to win.

dukelifer
02-05-2020, 09:36 PM
Wake up big? What is going on.

gofurman
02-05-2020, 09:53 PM
Wake up big? What is going on.

ANYTHING is possible. And Wake is AT Louisville - If this were in WInston... whats going on is what I fear on Saturday..

or more to the point LSU is undefeated in the SEC and Vandy has not won one single game in the SEC. Yet Vandy leads LSU

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 09:53 PM
To be fair, we (UVA) have pretty much owned everybody in the ACC aside from Duke since the 13-14 season. None of those teams' successes seem to have much impact on what we're doing this season. I expect Louisville to roll us unless we have a couple guys shoot waaaaaaay over their season averages from 3. Even with that, it's probably just a competitive game, not a likely UVA win. It's by far UVA's toughest game (per kenpom) remaining, with him projecting us as a double digit dog, and only 18% chance to win.

Yeah that’s true. Also I think the UVa win when they were down I believe 7 points with 5 seconds left or so and won at Louisville May skew my perception, too.

I must point out that UVa was 7-20 (35.0%) from 3 tonight vs Clemson. Not earth shattering but better than their season average. To me they’re starting to shoot better from 3 on their current 3 game win streak.

Louisville is down 46-34 at the half right now at home to Wake who is 10-11, 3-8

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 10:15 PM
Wake is gonna blow this, aren’t they? This still could be a huge win for Danny Manning and company in an otherwise terrible season thus far at Wake but Louisville has Wake’s lead down from 12 at the half to 2 at the under 16. 51-49 Wake at the under 16 and Louisville is shooting a free throw after the break.

gofurman
02-05-2020, 11:18 PM
and there we go.. LSU undefeated in the SEC went to winless (SEC) Vandy and lost. ANYTHING can happen

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 11:21 PM
Louisville beats Wake 86-76 in Louisville.

After being down 46-34 at the half, Louisville won the 2nd half 52-30.

Louisville continues their dominance of the ACC and moves to 20-3, 11-1.

Wake is horrendously bad again this year and falls to 10-12, 3-9.

I agree with Dan Dakich who called the game tonight. Dino Gaudio (now an assistant at Louisville under Chris Mack) was 61-31 at Wake and was let go prematurely. He said what has that gotten Wake? They are the doormat of the ACC perennially under Danny Manning now. He is having another terrible year this year. They may easily lose in total 12-13 games in the ACC this year

CameronDuke
02-05-2020, 11:31 PM
NCSU beats Miami 82-73 in Miami. Good win for Keatts.

NCSU improves to 15-8, 6-6.

Miami falls to 11-11, 3-9.

ElliottHoo
02-06-2020, 01:49 AM
Yeah that’s true. Also I think the UVa win when they were down I believe 7 points with 5 seconds left or so and won at Louisville May skew my perception, too.

The end of that game was straight-up shenanigans. Louisville was up by 4 with 0.9 seconds to go, and UVA not only won, but won in *regulation*.

Jerome shot a 3, and missed, but was fouled (with 0.9 seconds to go). He hit the first 2, but then UVA had a lane violation on shot 3. All Louisville has to do is chuck the ball down the court and the game is over. Instead, the inbounder forgets he can’t move and moves anyway (since it was a post-penalty inbound rather than a post-score inbound) even though the ref reminded him. So, it’s a travel and UVA gets to inbound the ball, Hunter is somehow open and nails the winning 3. Most amazing sequence I’ve ever seen, and KenPom put Louisville’s chances of victory at 100%.

UVA has owned most of the non-Duke ACC the last few years, but Louisville really does have a special place. I’m fully expecting UVA to win Saturday on like a Louisville own-goal or something equally ridiculous.

TKG
02-06-2020, 08:06 AM
From today’s Raleigh News & Observer, Andrew Carter’s piece on the decline of Wake basketball.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article239954898.html

bigperm13
02-06-2020, 10:50 AM
I still believe Duke plays that game versus Clemson any other day at Littlejohn besides the one they actually played it on and Duke wins. They were going to be pumped up either way, win or loss for the football team the night before.

JasonEvans
02-06-2020, 11:16 AM
They may easily lose in total 12-13 games in the ACC this year

MAY?!?!? MAY?!?!?

If Wake only loses 12 or 13 games in the ACC this year it will be a major surprise. I think something like 5-15 is more likely.

JasonEvans
02-06-2020, 11:18 AM
NCSU beats Miami 82-73 in Miami. Good win for Keatts.

Well..... I mean, I get that any road win is nice but Miami without Chris Lykes is a pretty weak ballclub. Had NCSt blown this game, their feint NCAA tourney hopes would have been toast. I dunno that this helped them, but it did not hurt.

CameronDuke
02-06-2020, 11:42 AM
MAY?!?!? MAY?!?!?

If Wake only loses 12 or 13 games in the ACC this year it will be a major surprise. I think something like 5-15 is more likely.

Haha, yeah I agree with you. I’ll take them at 5-15, maybe 6-14 AT BEST.

WakeDevil
02-06-2020, 11:43 AM
Gaudio may have had issues behind the scenes. Getting rid of Manning is going to cost Wake a lot of money.

CameronDuke
02-06-2020, 11:43 AM
Well... I mean, I get that any road win is nice but Miami without Chris Lykes is a pretty weak ballclub. Had NCSt blown this game, their feint NCAA tourney hopes would have been toast. I dunno that this helped them, but it did not hurt.

Yeah I had forgotten Lykes was out. State is hanging by a thread but still has a long way to go to dance. I don’t see it happening.

OldPhiKap
02-06-2020, 11:44 AM
Gaudio may have had issues behind the scenes. Getting rid of Manning is going to cost Wake a lot of money.

What's his buy-out?

CameronDuke
02-06-2020, 12:16 PM
What's his buy-out?

I read somewhere Manning’s buy-out is around $18 million.

sagegrouse
02-06-2020, 12:27 PM
In a W-S Journal article last March announcing Manning's return for 2019-20:

That future will include Manning, for at least one more season – Wellman declined multiple times Friday to discuss any specifics of Manning’s contract, which has been reported to run through the 2024-25 season and include a fully guaranteed $18 million buyout.

That was a year ago; presumably the buyout is down to $15 million or so one year later.

CameronDuke
02-06-2020, 12:35 PM
In a W-S Journal article last March announcing Manning's return for 2019-20:

That was a year ago; presumably the buyout is down to $15 million or so one year later.

That makes sense. Am I right in my arithmetic skills assuming he makes around $3 million/year as head coach at Wake and that each additional year he coaches would decrease his buyout by that much the closer he gets to 2024-2025?

wilson
02-06-2020, 12:51 PM
That makes sense. Am I right in my arithmetic skills assuming he makes around $3 million/year as head coach at Wake and that each additional year he coaches would decrease his buyout by that much the closer he gets to 2024-2025?It depends. Paul Hewitt, for example, had an automatically vesting contract at GA Tech that added another year at the end of every season as long as he wasn't fired for cause, meaning that he just perpetually had five years left on his deal. This is, of course, directly related to GT's abiding hardcourt irrelevance...he was finally let go after the 2010-11 season, but they didn't finish paying his contract until last year (after they finished paying the contract of his even-less-productive successor, Brian Gregory!).
I remain utterly baffled as to how Hewitt ever landed such a contract, and what the hell GT's AD at the time was thinking.
Also I'd like to meet Hewitt's agent, who must just be a genius.

JasonEvans
02-06-2020, 12:52 PM
That makes sense. Am I right in my arithmetic skills assuming he makes around $3 million/year as head coach at Wake and that each additional year he coaches would decrease his buyout by that much the closer he gets to 2024-2025?

Danny Manning should be sending a million dollar check to John Collins every year as thanks for giving them a NCAA tourney run in 2017 and getting a loooong extension for Danny. They went 9-9 in the ACC and the Wake AD gave Manning a 6 year extension. Whew... what was he thinking?!?!?

JasonEvans
02-06-2020, 12:54 PM
It depends. Paul Hewitt, for example, had an automatically vesting contract at GA Tech that added another year at the end of every season as long as he wasn't fired for cause, meaning that he just perpetually had five years left on his deal. This is, of course, directly related to GT's abiding hardcourt irrelevance...he was finally let go after the 2010-11 season, but they didn't finish paying his contract until last year (after they finished paying the contract of his even-less-productive successor, Brian Gregory!).
I remain utterly baffled as to how Hewitt ever landed such a contract, and what the hell GT's AD at the time was thinking.

Well, he signed the deal after leading Ga Tech to a freaking Final Four. I mean, that is some rarefied air and Hewitt was seen as the hot young coach in all of college basketball.

Still, a rolling 5 year extension is just plain strange and asking for trouble.

rsvman
02-06-2020, 12:59 PM
Well... I mean, I get that any road win is nice but Miami without Chris Lykes is a pretty weak ballclub. Had NCSt blown this game, their feint NCAA tourney hopes would have been toast. I dunno that this helped them, but it did not hurt.

Pretty sure you meant to say "faint." Not even sure how to mentally process what a feinted hope would be. I guess it would mean that they pretended to hope they get into the tourney?

JasonEvans
02-06-2020, 01:14 PM
Pretty sure you meant to say "faint." Not even sure how to mentally process what a feinted hope would be. I guess it would mean that they pretended to hope they get into the tourney?

Ha, DYAC (https://www.facebook.com/DamnYouAutocorrect/).

CameronDuke
02-06-2020, 01:39 PM
It depends. Paul Hewitt, for example, had an automatically vesting contract at GA Tech that added another year at the end of every season as long as he wasn't fired for cause, meaning that he just perpetually had five years left on his deal. This is, of course, directly related to GT's abiding hardcourt irrelevance...he was finally let go after the 2010-11 season, but they didn't finish paying his contract until last year (after they finished paying the contract of his even-less-productive successor, Brian Gregory!).

Yeah, no kidding on the agent. I believe he was also fired from George Mason after being fired at GT and had a year left on his contract at Mason as well and got some money from them too.

CameronDuke
02-06-2020, 01:41 PM
Danny Manning should be sending a million dollar check to John Collins every year as thanks for giving them a NCAA tourney run in 2017 and getting a loooong extension for Danny. They went 9-9 in the ACC and the Wake AD gave Manning a 6 year extension. Whew... what was he thinking?!?!?

Haha, agreed on Collins. Manning owes him.

BD80
02-06-2020, 01:42 PM

Certainly not for the feint of heart … Which brings us back to 'ol roy!

MChambers
02-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Yeah, no kidding on the agent. I believe he was also fired from George Mason after being fired at GT and had a year left on his contract at Mason as well and got some money from them too.

He was definitely fired at Mason. Don't know if he had a year left when he was fired, but he was no Larranaga at Mason.

sagegrouse
02-06-2020, 02:02 PM

That's called an "evergreen" contract -- each year you add another guaranteed year to the end of the deal.

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 09:51 AM
UVa +7.5 today at the KFC YUM! Center in Louisville, Kentucky at UL.

JasonEvans
02-08-2020, 11:37 AM
UVa +7.5 today at the KFC YUM! Center in Louisville, Kentucky at UL.

That is an under-the-radar HUGE game. A victory by Louisville comes darn close to wrapping up the #1 seed in the conference for them. I mean, I guess they could still lose 2 other games coming down the stretch but it feels unlikely. But, it is an especially big game for Virginia. A win probably puts the Cavs back on the right side of the bubble and begins to give them some separation from the ACC middle.

I like Virginia in this one. It'll be a dogfight but I think Virginia needs it more. This may be the most physical game of the year in the conference.

-Jason "these two play again in the season finale at UVA... so this will just be round one" Evans

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 11:52 AM
That is an under-the-radar HUGE game. A victory by Louisville comes darn close to wrapping up the #1 seed in the conference for them. I mean, I guess they could still lose 2 other games coming down the stretch but it feels unlikely. But, it is an especially big game for Virginia. A win probably puts the Cavs back on the right side of the bubble and begins to give them some separation from the ACC middle.

I like Virginia in this one. It'll be a dogfight but I think Virginia needs it more. This may be the most physical game of the year in the conference.

-Jason "these two play again in the season finale at UVA... so this will just be round one" Evans

I agree with you. UVa has been trending towards a better outside shooting team. They have the best defense in the country. I think Woldetensae for UVa gets hot today from 3 and they win a close one at UL. I think Diakite, Huff, and Key will be able to keep UL off the boards and Clark will be quick enough to get some dribble penetration and find the big men in the post on dish offs. It will be one physical game like you said.

devildeac
02-08-2020, 11:54 AM
I agree with you. UVa has been trending towards a better outside shooting team. They have the best defense in the country. I think Woldetensae for UVa gets hot today from 3 and they win a close one at UL. I think Diakite, Huff, and Key will be able to keep UL off the boards and Clark will be quick enough to get some dribble penetration and find the big men in the post on dish offs. It will be one physical game like you said.

Yea, "freedom of movement" in this one will likely be ancient history...

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 02:33 PM
BC beats VT in OT in Blacksburg 77-73.

BC improves to 12-12, 6-7.

VT falls to 14-10, 5-8.

Mike Young at VT is finding out life in the ACC is a lot different than in the SoCon.

Acymetric
02-08-2020, 02:34 PM
BC beats VT in OT in Blacksburg 77-73.

BC improves to 12-12, 6-7.

VT falls to 14-10, 5-8.

Mike Young at VT is finding out life in the ACC is a lot different than in the SoCon.

I miss the SoCon.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-08-2020, 03:10 PM
I miss the SoCon.

SoCon tournament will be here in Asheville in a few weeks. I always try to get to a few games. My own little dose of March Madness.

Competitive conference, fun games, great atmosphere.

WakeDevil
02-08-2020, 03:15 PM
I miss the SoCon.

Did you know Fred and Wilma?

Wahoo2000
02-08-2020, 04:10 PM

How about if Louisville is smoking hot from 3? And deep ones at that. First TO has Louisville 5-5 from 3pt land. A hot shooting day from them will lead to a Purdue-like blowout for my Hoos.

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 04:16 PM
Pitt takes down GT 73-64 in Pittsburgh.

Pitt improves to 15-9, 6-7.

GT falls to 11-13, 5-8.

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 04:17 PM
UVa (+7.5) is covering at the under 12 in the first half. 20-14 UL at the KFC YUM! Center.

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 04:29 PM
UL pulling away from UVa at the under 8.

33-23 UL. Nwora has 11 points for UL already.

The Cards are torching the vaunted UVa pack line defense. I think UL May drop 75-80 on UVa today. The current pace of the game does not favor UVa whatsoever.

gofurman
02-08-2020, 04:33 PM
I miss the SoCon.

Pulling for Young ( SoCon guy here). Recall he lost Blackshear and Alexander-Walker and Justin Robinson and ... they have very little talent vs last year. Give it a few yrs

DukieInBrasil
02-08-2020, 04:43 PM
UVA just looks a cut below Louisville. Their offense is not good, and their defense has been kinda porous. At least L'ville is kinda getting what it wants.

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 04:43 PM
UVa is getting the doors blown off by UL at the KFC YUM! Center in Louisville, Kentucky. The Hoos pack line defense is getting absolutely shredded today. I didn’t see this coming.

44-30 UL at the half. Clemson scored 44 points the entire game last game vs UVa.

UL was 8-15 (53.3%) from 3 that half.

UL has lost 9 in a row to UVa but barring a miracle for UVa this one is absolutely over.

Wahoo2000
02-08-2020, 04:55 PM
UVa is getting the doors blown off by UL at the KFC YUM! Center in Louisville, Kentucky. The Hoos pack line defense is getting absolutely shredded today. I didn’t see this coming.

44-30 UL at the half.

UL has lost 9 in a row to UVa but barring a miracle for UVa this one is absolutely over.

Louisville started 5-5 from deep and we (UVA) completely abandoned doubling the post, and expanded the pack line out far enough that we couldn't clog the middle the way we normally do. Result was that Louisville only went 3-10 from 3 the rest of the half, but things opened up enough for them to go 10-15 from 2. UVA just doesn't have the athletes with defensive anticipation and/or lateral quickness to prevent penetration and easy scoring chances in isolation situations. If you can be steaming hot from 3 early, you can really open things up and score at will.

On the semi brighter side for a UVA fan like myself, the offense has showed some signs of improving lately, including being over 50% from the field and 40% from 3 in the first half. If I were in Bennett's shoes, I'd think about reigning the pack line back in a lot tighter and if Louisville can shoot 50ish% or better from 3 you just say, "too good".

Green Wave Dukie
02-08-2020, 04:56 PM

44-30 UL at the half. Clemson scored 44 points the entire game last game vs UVa.

I keep teetering between 31st and 33rd in the Over-Under in the Degenerates. After a ‘hot streak’ ( for me!) I have climbed up to 31st. After taking the Under on this one, I’ll soon be resuming my place in the cellar of Over-Under wagering.

AGDukesky
02-08-2020, 05:05 PM
This game isn’t over. Louisville has taken lots of bad shots and made them and I’m guessing it won’t last...

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 05:16 PM
This game isn’t over. Louisville has taken lots of bad shots and made them and I’m guessing it won’t last...

UVa simply locks teams down defensively at times. It’s so impressive. 51-44 UL with 14:14 left. Louisville is flustered. They still have time to blow this back open but UVa has nearly all the momentum now.

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 05:22 PM
56-49 UL at the under 12. Momentum is still on UVa’s side. This one looked like it was going to be a blowout at the half but UVa is not going away.

DukieInBrasil
02-08-2020, 05:29 PM
UVA's defense has picked up a bit lately, giving them a chance. We'll see...
...but their offense still suxx

robed deity
02-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Who is Woldetensae and where has he been all year?

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 05:38 PM

His last 4-5 games he’s been a sharpshooter for UVa.

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 05:44 PM
66-65 UL at the under 4. UL has folded offensively this half due to UVa absolutely locking them down. UVa continues to stay hot shooting. Woldetensae for UVa is shooting unconsciously right now. Folks, if UVa can find a reliable 3-point shooter, with their top ranked defense nationally, they could give most teams in the NCAAT all they want. They are the 7-9 seed I’d least likely want to see in my bracket this year.

DukieInBrasil
02-08-2020, 05:49 PM
16 pt collapse by L'ville so far in the 2nd half, i hope they collapse some more...
...basically a turnover by UVA there, gotta make the front end of 1n1

Wahoo2000
02-08-2020, 05:50 PM

Shot 48% from 3 i JUCO. He started the season 3-21 from 3 (14%), but since then entering today he has been 27/65 (42%). Absolutely going off today.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-08-2020, 05:51 PM
This is a great game coming down to the wire. Fun appetizer.

Green Wave Dukie
02-08-2020, 05:52 PM
In first half, ESPN showed UL a 97.4% chance to win.

On my.

Ultrarunner
02-08-2020, 05:53 PM
This is a great game coming down to the wire. Fun appetizer.

I want to skip dinner and go right to dessert.

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 06:04 PM
UL gets all they want from UVa but holds on to win 80-73.

UL has won 10 games in a row.

UL continues their sheer dominance of the ACC and improves to 21-3, 12-1.

UVa falls to 15-7, 7-5. I still think UVa is an NCAAT team, though. Their offense is starting to click. Woldetensae is one of the hottest sharpshooters in the ACC right now and although they gave up 80 today, they still have the best defense in the country to me.

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 06:36 PM
That loss for UVa moved their offense up on Kenpom to 226 and their defense dropped to 4. Overall, UVa is 51 now.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-08-2020, 09:27 PM
I want to skip dinner and go right to dessert.

Well, we got ours!

DU82
02-08-2020, 09:55 PM
Meanwhile, they scheduled another game after ours, though some can’t see it on the ACCN.

Wake ar Syracuse, tied at 63 with 6:50 left.

And Wake just went up 2.

DU82
02-08-2020, 09:58 PM
Meanwhile, they scheduled another game after ours, though some can’t see it on the ACCN.

Wake ar Syracuse, tied at 63 with 6:50 left.

And Wake just went up 2.

And Dolezaj just was T’d up for pointing to the video board, to complain that the refs were wrong on an out of bound play. Never saw that before.

SavDukeGrad
02-08-2020, 10:00 PM
And Dolezaj just was T’d up for pointing to the video board, to complain that the refs were wrong on an out of bound play. Never saw that before.

Payback for the Carey T. last week I guess.

And I’m glad they didn’t call that when Grayson was playing.

Acymetric
02-08-2020, 10:01 PM
SoCon tournament will be here in Asheville in a few weeks. I always try to get to a few games. My own little dose of March Madness.

Competitive conference, fun games, great atmosphere.

I was in the Elon pep band and got to go to a couple SoCon tournaments (Charlotte at the Bojangles Coliseum and Chattanooga at the McKenzie Arena). Some fun times (and the games were good too! ;))

I suppose the move to the Colonial made sense for Elon (who now has a pretty swanky new basketball arena themselves) but it feels weird to me not to be in the SoCon anymore.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-08-2020, 10:03 PM
I was in the Elon pep band and got to go to a couple SoCon tournaments (Charlotte at the Bojangles Coliseum and Chattanooga at the McKenzie Arena). Some fun times (and the games were good too! ;))

I suppose the move to the Colonial made sense for Elon (who now has a pretty swanky new basketball arena themselves) but it feels weird to me not to be in the SoCon anymore.

I have seen many games at the Bojangles Coliseum.

Acymetric
02-08-2020, 10:29 PM
I have seen many games at the Bojangles Coliseum.

The court was...not in great shape for that tournament. There was a crack between the boards near half court wide enough to trip over!

devildeac
02-08-2020, 10:35 PM

What, the T or the refs being wrong? :rolleyes:

DU82
02-08-2020, 10:39 PM
What, the T or the refs being wrong? :rolleyes:

The T for pointing to the video board.

devildeac
02-08-2020, 10:43 PM
The T for pointing to the video board.

Thought so. :)

CameronDuke
02-08-2020, 11:51 PM
Cuse beat Wake at the Carrier Dome tonight 75-73.

Cuse improves to 14-9, 7-3.

Wake falls to 10-13, 3-10.

JasonEvans
02-09-2020, 01:33 PM
Cuse beat Wake at the Carrier Dome tonight 75-73.

Cuse improves to 14-9, 7-3.

Wake falls to 10-13, 3-10.

Just to be correct, Cuse improves to 14-9, 7-5.

Syracuse has a pair of games in the next 10 days at Lou and at FSU. I think they need to win one of those (and then not stupidly blow a game they should otherwise win) to make the NCAA tourney. If, as the metrics seem to suggest, they only get to 11-9 in the ACC, I think they will be NIT bound.

WakeDevil
02-09-2020, 02:25 PM
It's interesting that the NCSOS for NC State is much better in the NET and RPI than for KP. Many ACC teams simply did not do a good job of scheduling. For the majority of the multiple-bid era, a winning conference record put a team safely in the field. Not this season. Syracuse did not beat solid team before ACC play and would not get in at 11-9.

Warren Nolan is good place to go to compare NET and RPI.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/index

CameronDuke
02-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Just to be correct, Cuse improves to 14-9, 7-5.

Syracuse has a pair of games in the next 10 days at Lou and at FSU. I think they need to win one of those (and then not stupidly blow a game they should otherwise win) to make the NCAA tourney. If, as the metrics seem to suggest, they only get to 11-9 in the ACC, I think they will be NIT bound.

Yes 7-5, my mistake. I agree and think with their zone, they could really give FSU all they want and challenge FSU to hit outside shots. I think they’ll have a better shot at winning that one than Louisville. I still think Cuse as well as UVa are NCAAT teams in addition to Louisville, Duke, and FSU. No one else right now, though. Don’t see it with NCSU, Pitt, or BC right now. Everyone else is well outside the bubble to me

CameronDuke
02-09-2020, 08:04 PM
Notre Dame takes down Clemson 61-57 at Clemson.

ND improves to 15-8, 6-6 and they have won 4 in a row. They play at Duke Saturday afternoon. Some of ND’s losses have been close including by 1 at FSU, by 2 vs Cuse, by 3 vs Louisville, and by 5 at NCSU. They likely will give Duke something to think about Saturday.

Clemson is in a tailspin having lost 4 of 5 and fall to 11-12, 5-8. They travel to Pitt Wednesday night.

dukelifer
02-09-2020, 08:21 PM

ND improves to 15-8, 6-6 and they have won 4 in a row. They play at Duke Saturday afternoon. Some of ND’s losses have been close including by 1 at FSU, by 2 vs Cuse, by 3 vs Louisville, and by 5 at NCSU. They likely will give Duke something to think about Saturday.

Clemson is in a tailspin having lost 4 of 5 and fall to 11-12, 5-8. They travel to Pitt Wednesday night.

Notre Dame is getting much better. They will be a very tough out and Duke has struggled against them.

Utley
02-09-2020, 08:33 PM
Just our luck - feels like we are going to get ND and UVA as they are on the rise.

BD80
02-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Just our luck - feels like we are going to get ND and UVA as they are on the rise.

Poor UVA & ND, they get us on the rise!

devildeac
02-09-2020, 09:23 PM

But, Clemson's season is solid with wins over us, the cheats and the Pack :rolleyes:.

CameronDuke
02-09-2020, 09:28 PM
But, Clemson's season is solid with wins over us, the cheats and the Pack :rolleyes:.

Yeah seems they give Duke their best game annually now.

Music man55
02-09-2020, 09:28 PM
The Irish are no joke now. I think they were a lot better than the close losses they were enduring in the earlier part of the season. We had better be ready for them Sat.

devilseven
02-10-2020, 07:51 AM
For what it's worth, Clemson's leading scorer and best player, Aamir Simms did not play last night. Flu.