PDA

View Full Version : Randy Denton

killerleft
11-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Randy Denton = Shelden Williams?

Just haven't heard Randy's name mentioned around here lately. He was a very good center who had a fine career in the ABA.

greybeard
11-07-2007, 03:11 PM

Just haven't heard Randy's name mentioned around here lately. He was a very good center who had a fine career in the ABA.

He could really play. My guess, he might have been eclipsed by that lefty guard he played with, who has got to be the most underrated Dukie of all time. The guy was unstoppable.

Again my guess, both suffered because Duke was coming off some terrific teams (I got that right, don't I), and they had some terrific competition, especially down the road (ditto).

duke74
11-07-2007, 03:12 PM

Randy was there while I was at Duke. While I am probably wrong (been 33 years), I recall him as more of an offensive, less physical player than Shelden. Those were the days of Randy, DD, Gary Mel, Rick Katherman (the "Springfield Rifle") and Larry (?) Saunders. I might have overlapped with Tate Armstrong as well.

killerleft
11-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah, Larry Saunders was a very good player. I remember he may have led the ACC in field goal accuracy a time or two.

watzone
11-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Randy made one All American team in 1971, first team All ACC in his soph and junior seasons and first his senior year. He's a two time winner of the Swett-Baylan Award. He holds the 6th highest scoring average in Duke history for one season and is the 19th all time leading scorer and 4th in career rebounds in three seasons. To this day, 12.7 rebounds from 69-71 is the highest average in Duke history. He had six 20 rebound games in his career but was not a great shot blocker. Oh! He had 20 boards and points in six games, the G-Man holds the career record there. He averaged 21.5 pts for his career. Anything else?

dukechem
11-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Several years ago, I sent in some pictures of a Duke/Alabama game in December 1968 or 1969. Can anyone find these in the archives? There were a couple of shots of Denton, Katherman, DiVenzio, Dave Golden, Steve Vandenberg, etc.

Olympic Fan
11-07-2007, 05:19 PM

I don't think Randy Denton is anything like Shelden Williams as a player.

Randy was a MUCH better offensive player -- he averaged 19.7 points a game and shot 53.5 percent from the floor for his career.

Shelden was a MUCH better defensive player. We don't have blocked shot totals from Randy's career, but he wouldn't have been close to Shelden's total. During Denton's era, Duke mostly played zone and Randy took up a lot of space, but he didn't react to the ball even as well as Gminski.

As rebounders, I think they were fairly equal. I know that Randy's career average of 12.7 is better, but there were more rebounds available in that era (although not as many as in the 50s). Shelden finished with a lot more total rebounds (1262 t0 1067), but he played in 55 more games.

Interesting in that Shelden twice led the ACC in rebounding, but Randy never did.

I agree that Randy Denton is probably the most overlooked great player in Duke history because he played in a down era -- although the bottom didn't fall out until he left. Duke finished third, fourth and third in the ACC in each of Denton's years -- they certainly would have been an NCAA seed in two of those years, maybe three, under current NCAA rules.

In terms of style of play, Randy was a lot closer to Gminski than to any of the Coach K centers.

Atldukie79
11-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Denton did not overlap witth Tate Armstrong at all. Though I agree that G-man might be a more apt comparison than Shelden, their offensive skills were different. I remember Denton as a classic back to the basket guy who would catch in the low post, take his time, make a dribble, and deliver a long sweeping hook shot. G-man was more likely to turn and shoot a 15 foot Jump shot. And G-man could block shots.

Denton is definitely one of the most overlooked Dukies...along with Marin, Verga, Lewis, Spanarkle, and...well, I could go on!

dkbaseball
11-07-2007, 06:14 PM
he might have been eclipsed by that lefty guard he played with, who has got to be the most underrated Dukie of all time. The guy was unstoppable.

Hmmm. DeVenzio or Melchionni? Dicky D was in the same class as Randy, but hardly overshadowed him once Bucky took over and went to a half court game that rendered DeVenzio far from unstoppable. Melchionni played one year with Denton, splitting time at the point with DeVenzio. Denton was clearly the star of that 70-71 team. But you may be right that Gary Melchionni is the most underrated Dukie of all time. Steve Vacendak might give him a run for that title.

Teton Jack
11-07-2007, 06:36 PM
I remember watching Denton in a high school all-star game in Charlotte. He was taking - and hitting - outside jumpers. Although the Buckster made him a center, I always felt he would have been more comfortable as a PF than center. Didn't matter though - Bucky kept him under the basket where he was very effective.

Gary was in my class at Duke. His game as a senior against Maryland was one of my greatest memories of Duke basketball as it slowly hit the doldrums. Lefty D. put everyone he could on Gary but none could stop him that day. I think it was 39 points.

greybeard
11-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Hmmm. DeVenzio or Melchionni? Dicky D was in the same class as Randy, but hardly overshadowed him once Bucky took over and went to a half court game that rendered DeVenzio far from unstoppable. Melchionni played one year with Denton, splitting time at the point with DeVenzio. Denton was clearly the star of that 70-71 team. But you may be right that Gary Melchionni is the most underrated Dukie of all time. Steve Vacendak might give him a run for that title.

Vacendak is who I was thinking of. Thought that he played with Denton. I just remember him being unstoppable. Thanks.