PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Duke Football Recruiting

chrishoke
01-22-2020, 12:18 PM
We now have our first commitment in our 2021 Duke football recruiting class. Pigskindevil was the first to post the news in the Duke football offseason thread.

"so first kid for 2021 is in. Aaaron Hall a WDE from durham verbals. 6'6'' 220 lbs. .8500 composite"

Welcome to DukeGang Aaron.

He had offers from Virginia and Virginia Tech.

du_bb1
01-22-2020, 12:35 PM
From video I've seen, looks like tight end possibility also, good hands.

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2020, 03:27 PM
Add three star Andrew Jones to the class. Another in-state commit.

Jones, a 6'4", 255 pound lineman from Reagan High School in Pfafftown, NC, chose the Blue Devils over offers from Appalachian State, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and more. His familiarity with the program and coaching staff put Duke over the top.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/andrew-jones-duke-football-recruiting-142469429/?fbclid=IwAR3LrP-dSlIWWtMJUOWe9F11oS48LYm5F_W2yrlrlG9sQbPnes3OIdfYN xk

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2020, 03:29 PM
I like this quote from the article I linked above.

"Duke is a prestigious school when it comes to education and that I should focus on the next 40 years instead of the next 4 because my future is bright," he said when asked what Duke's pitch has been. "(Academics are) very important Because i know that football has an end and I will need a Plan B."

Acymetric
01-22-2020, 03:32 PM
Add Andrew Jones (6'4/255 OT from Pfafftown, NC) and Anthony Freeman (5-11/211 OLB from Durham, NC - Northern HS) to the list!

Neither appear to be evaluated yet, but nice to have some local guys on board!

Jones has P5 offers from Wake, VT, Louisville, and Illinois.

Freeman has a somewhat shorter list, with offers from East Carolina and Wake.

Edit: Bah! Scooped by CBB.

Acymetric
01-22-2020, 03:42 PM
Also, for what its worth, it appears Anthony Freeman might go by "Tre".

pigskindevil
01-22-2020, 04:47 PM
when is the last time we got two kids from durham? or our first 3 verbals were from nc?

Bob Green
01-22-2020, 04:57 PM
when is the last time we got two kids from durham?

I’m not certain it was the last time but Desmond Scott and Corey Gattis from Hillside would be my guess.

Acymetric
01-22-2020, 07:36 PM
I’m not certain it was the last time but Desmond Scott and Corey Gattis from Hillside would be my guess.

Yep, in the 2009 class. We haven't had a single Durham player since until landing two more for the 2021 class. I'm guessing the last one before that was Kinney Rucker from my alma mater!

Real blast from the past looking at the names in those 2008-2010 recruiting classes!

jv001
01-23-2020, 10:57 AM

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/andrew-jones-duke-football-recruiting-142469429/?fbclid=IwAR3LrP-dSlIWWtMJUOWe9F11oS48LYm5F_W2yrlrlG9sQbPnes3OIdfYN xk

I really like this kid already and he plays at one of our local high schools(Reagan). Obtaining a degree from a prestigious university seems very high on his priority list. Good for him.

GoDuke!

chrishoke
01-28-2020, 11:13 AM
Bang Bang DukeGang

Adam Rowe

@AdamRoweTDD

Three-Star 2021 ATH Sahmir Hagans commits to #DukeGang21 https://247sports.com/Player/Sahmir-Hagans-46053489/…

Listed as a receiver/rb - top 1100 Nationally - P5 offers from Miami, Arizona State and Temple

Bob Green
01-28-2020, 03:39 PM
Three-Star 2021 ATH Sahmir Hagans commits to #DukeGang21

Currently Not Ranked by ESPN. ESPN rankings lag behind the other sites much of the time. At 5’9” 170, Hagans projects as a slot receiver.

chrishoke
01-28-2020, 05:17 PM
Adam Rowe

@AdamRoweTDD

Entire Duke Football coaching staff stops in on recruiting trip to see Five-Star 2021 RB
@willshipley2021
: https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/duke-blue-devils-football-david-cutcliffe-coaching-visit-142863323/… via
@TomLoy247

@TheDevilsDen
(VIP)

His offer list is ridiculous. So...……………. you're saying there's a chance.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-28-2020, 05:34 PM
Adam Rowe

@AdamRoweTDD

Entire Duke Football coaching staff stops in on recruiting trip to see Five-Star 2021 RB
@willshipley2021
: https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/duke-blue-devils-football-david-cutcliffe-coaching-visit-142863323/… via
@TomLoy247

@TheDevilsDen
(VIP)

His offer list is ridiculous. So...……………. you're saying there's a chance.

Has Duke ever had a 5* running back????

chrishoke
01-28-2020, 05:50 PM

Certainly not in the modern era of rating recruits.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-28-2020, 07:00 PM
All American Steve Jones comes to mind, but he was my era, not this era!

Game plan in 1972: Jones to the right, Jones to the left, Jones up the middle and Jones punts.

Indoor66
01-28-2020, 07:30 PM

Game plan in 1972: Jones to the right, Jones to the left, Jones up the middle and Jones punts.

And Steve was a great guy. I spent some time with him when he was playing in St.Louis.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-28-2020, 08:42 PM
Certainly not in the modern era of rating recruits.

This was my first thought....that the era of rating recruits coincides kinda on point with Duke's football dredges....and when Duke has been good, it's been with OL, passing schemes and small running backs.

...my other thought was hmmm, wonder how highly recruited Steve Jones was. I was tiny guy, remember him, but had no clue about recruiting, etc, back then.

Kinda funny...right after I posted that little blurb, you two nailed my two initial answers to my own question...

jv001
01-28-2020, 10:13 PM

Was is against Tennessee that Steve basically beat them by himself. Maybe in Knoxville at that. GoDuke!

jimsumner
01-29-2020, 01:50 AM
This was my first thought...that the era of rating recruits coincides kinda on point with Duke's football dredges...and when Duke has been good, it's been with OL, passing schemes and small running backs.

...my other thought was hmmm, wonder how highly recruited Steve Jones was. I was tiny guy, remember him, but had no clue about recruiting, etc, back then.

Kinda funny...right after I posted that little blurb, you two nailed my two initial answers to my own question...

Steve Jones was a HUGE recruit. Alabama, Penn State, lots of major powers prioritized him.

fuse
01-29-2020, 05:51 PM
Duke hosting Clemson backup QB Brice tonight as a possible transfer.

Intriguing development!

chrishoke
02-25-2020, 08:35 AM
Unranked Joshua Pickett from Georgia commits to DukeGang21 as a DB. Welcome Joshua.

OldPhiKap
02-25-2020, 09:06 AM
Unranked Joshua Pickett from Georgia commits to DukeGang21 as a DB. Welcome Joshua.

Welcome to Duke, Joshua!

sagegrouse
02-25-2020, 09:10 AM

Looked at his Hudl page:

Most of the clips were hoops.

Who knew there was a Mount Airy, Georgia as well as North Carolina?

I was expecting to see some track performances.

Acymetric
02-25-2020, 10:02 AM
Looked at his Hudl page:

Most of the clips were hoops.

Who knew there was a Mount Airy, Georgia as well as North Carolina?

I was expecting to see some track performances.

The last Georgia hoops player we recruited as a DB despite a low ranking turned out pretty well...is this one a good rebounder?

pigskindevil
02-25-2020, 10:36 AM
so someone posted on 247 that he was georgia region 8-AAAAAA player of the year. not bad for a junior

Bob Green
02-25-2020, 03:37 PM
so someone posted on 247 that he was georgia region 8-AAAAAA player of the year. not bad for a junior

This AJC article agrees:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/high-school-sports/all-region-teams-dacula-jenkins-named-aaaaaa-player-the-year/RX8tdyUFZyg2ZKld5zy9TN/

Two way player of the year - Joshua Pickett

sagegrouse
02-25-2020, 03:51 PM
This AJC article agrees:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/high-school-sports/all-region-teams-dacula-jenkins-named-aaaaaa-player-the-year/RX8tdyUFZyg2ZKld5zy9TN/

Two way player of the year - Joshua Pickett

A bit of hype maybe? While he was two-way POY in the 8AAAAAA district, he wasn't first team all-district at either wide receiver or defensive back.

No surprise, probably. Habersham central didn't win a conference game.

Bob Green
02-25-2020, 03:56 PM
A bit of hype maybe? While he was two-way POY in the 8AAAAAA district, he wasn't first team all-district at either wide receiver or defensive back.

It will take someone tuned in to Georgia high school football to accurately answer your question. I did notice none of the player of the year award winners were also listed at their offense/defense position.

sagegrouse
02-25-2020, 06:09 PM
It will take someone tuned in to Georgia high school football to accurately answer your question. I did notice none of the player of the year award winners were also listed at their offense/defense position.

Yep, Google is your friend -- until it isn't.

Bob Green
03-07-2020, 06:22 AM
Safety Cole Bishop commits:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Cole-Bishop-Duke-blue-devils-2021-commitment-144686539/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Offers from Boston College, Georgia Tech and Virginia. Bishop is from Fayetteville, GA.

chrishoke
03-07-2020, 07:35 AM
Safety Cole Bishop commits:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Cole-Bishop-Duke-blue-devils-2021-commitment-144686539/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Offers from Boston College, Georgia Tech and Virginia. Bishop is from Fayetteville, GA.

Three star safety from Georgia. Welcome to DukeGang21 Cole! I believe he will be in Cameron tonight.

chrishoke
04-11-2020, 08:31 PM
Bang Bang DukeGang.

Duke receives a commitment from Jordan Moore, a 3 star athlete from Maryland, #31 in the state, w/ multiple P5 offers including UCLA, Pitt, Virginia and Wisconsin. He chose Duke because we recruited him as ab QB.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Blue-Devils-commitment-football-recruiting-Jordan-Moore-quarterback-145955889/

du_bb1
04-11-2020, 09:01 PM
Welcome aboard Jordan, Mr duel threat !

sagegrouse
04-11-2020, 09:46 PM
Welcome aboard Jordan, Mr duel threat !

Sabers and pistols? Or, maybe you meant something else.

JasonEvans
04-12-2020, 12:29 AM
Bang Bang DukeGang.

Duke receives a commitment from Jordan Moore, a 3 star athlete from Maryland, #31 in the state, w/ multiple P5 offers including UCLA, Pitt, Virginia and Wisconsin. He chose Duke because we recruited him as ab QB.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-Blue-Devils-commitment-football-recruiting-Jordan-Moore-quarterback-145955889/

Does this mean we are no longer after Pro style QB Christian Veilleux? We are one of the four finalist for him and he is very highly regarded. He's also being recruited by Penn State, Clemson, and Tennessee.

Bob Green
04-12-2020, 06:27 AM
Excellent news! Welcome to DukeGang.

Does this mean we are no longer after Pro style QB Christian Veilleux? We are one of the four finalist for him and he is very highly regarded. He's also being recruited by Penn State, Clemson, and Tennessee.

Coach Cutcliffe and staff certainly do not desire to be caught short handed at quarterback like last season. Jordan Moore is on the bus so it is time to finish the deal with Veilleux.

roywhite
04-13-2020, 12:24 PM
Nice mention for Duke's recruiting by Rivals Mike Farrell, under the title of:

Fact or Fiction: North Carolina is the only surprise in the ACC in 2021 recruiting so far.

Farrell’s take: FICTION. Look at Duke. I like what David Cutcliffe is doing this recruiting year and the Blue Devils' latest commitment from Jordan Moore is a good one because he can play quarterback, wide receiver or defensive back. The class is mostly filled with low three-stars but that’s to be expected with Duke’s academic restrictions and overall lack of success in football. There are some versatile and talented players in this class early.

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/fact-or-fiction-penn-state-is-hurting-wolverines-in-michigan

BlueDevil16
04-13-2020, 01:54 PM

Fact or Fiction: North Carolina is the only surprise in the ACC in 2021 recruiting so far.

Farrell’s take: FICTION. Look at Duke. I like what David Cutcliffe is doing this recruiting year and the Blue Devils' latest commitment from Jordan Moore is a good one because he can play quarterback, wide receiver or defensive back. The class is mostly filled with low three-stars but that’s to be expected with Duke’s academic restrictions and overall lack of success in football. There are some versatile and talented players in this class early.

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/fact-or-fiction-penn-state-is-hurting-wolverines-in-michigan

Rosters filled with lower three star recruits won’t win us football games. Potentially a few diamonds in that group, but think we need to be getting mid-upper three stars and an occasional 4* (1-2 per class minimum) to really be able to consistently compete in the ACC.

chrishoke
04-13-2020, 01:56 PM

Nice find Roy. I agree re Jordan. I watched his film - the kid will be a playmaker at whatever position he ends up playing.

jv001
04-13-2020, 05:05 PM
Rosters filled with lower three star recruits won’t win us football games. Potentially a few diamonds in that group, but think we need to be getting mid-upper three stars and an occasional 4* (1-2 per class minimum) to really be able to consistently compete in the ACC.

I agree it would be nice but there's some obstacles in Duke's way to landing 4* recruits in football. Academics probably number one obstacle with Duke's reputation for being a poor football school. None of these kids remember Duke's success back in the 60's and even before that. Coach Cut has landed some good young players but has used them in their freshmen years. Many successful programs red-shirt those players but Duke hasn't for the most case.

GoDuke!

CameronBornAndBred
04-13-2020, 05:56 PM
I agree it would be nice but there's some obstacles in Duke's way to landing 4* recruits in football. Academics probably number one obstacle with Duke's reputation for being a poor football school. None of these kids remember Duke's success back in the 60's and even before that. Coach Cut has landed some good young players but has used them in their freshmen years. Many successful programs red-shirt those players but Duke hasn't for the most case.

GoDuke!

Thankfully these kids don't remember Duke's fruitless years, either. Every season, those are becoming a more distant memory.

sagegrouse
04-13-2020, 06:14 PM

GoDuke!

And as Cut says, even their parents don't remember Duke's success in football!

Avvocato
04-17-2020, 01:19 PM
Welcome Trent Broadnax, WR out of Georgia who just committed. 6’1 and 190 lbs.

https://twitter.com/trentbroadnax/status/1251181456627576834?s=21

Bob Green
04-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Welcome Trent Broadnax, WR out of Georgia who just committed. 6’1 and 190 lbs.

https://twitter.com/trentbroadnax/status/1251181456627576834?s=21

Broadnax displays a nice ability to run after the catch:

https://247sports.com/Player/Trent-Broadnax-46095013/

chrishoke
04-17-2020, 03:22 PM
BangBang DukeGang. Welcome Trent. Five P5 offers and a bunch of others His tape is nice. I love Georgia recruits!

devildeac
04-17-2020, 04:17 PM
BangBang DukeGang. Welcome Trent. Five P5 offers and a bunch of others His tape is nice. I love Georgia recruits!

Wait, are we talking football or hoops here?

;)

Welcome, Trent!

Bob Green
04-17-2020, 05:02 PM
Wait, are we talking football or hoops here?

;)

Welcome, Trent!

Tape is football. Hoops is 100 percent cinder blocks.

Barnstormer
04-17-2020, 05:54 PM
Is he (Broadnax) related to a former football player for Duke?

peteandpete
04-18-2020, 06:20 AM
That QB looks pretty good, too. Package deal? Protection wasn't bad either. Just saying.

Sixthman
04-18-2020, 08:18 AM
Is he (Broadnax) related to a former football player for Duke?

Trent’s father is Horace Broadnax, who was the point guard for Georgetown's 1984 national championship team. He is now the head coach at Savannah State.

sagegrouse
04-18-2020, 09:02 AM
Trent’s father is Horace Broadnax, who was the point guard for Georgetown's 1984 national championship team. He is now the head coach at Savannah State.

Wow! Dad has a ring! Also, the interest of the military academies is that Trent attends Benedictine Military School in Savannah.

BlueDevil16
04-18-2020, 12:16 PM
Bishop offered by Stanford

chrishoke
04-18-2020, 12:47 PM
Bishop offered by Stanford

Our new QB weighs in on twitter.

Chase Brice

@chasebrice7

No worries here...
@Cole_bishop_8
is a lock! #dukegang
Quote Tweet

Adam Rowe

@AdamRoweTDD
· 18h

https://twitter.com/tomloy247/status/1251271769392132096…
10:09 PM · Apr 17, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
budwom
04-18-2020, 12:49 PM
Wow! Dad has a ring! Also, the interest of the military academies is that Trent attends Benedictine Military School in Savannah.

A Catholic military school! That's a new one on me...I can imagine some interesting courses they might offer....Spanish Armada, Crusades, lots of good stuff!

sagegrouse
04-18-2020, 01:00 PM
A Catholic military school! That's a new one on me...I can imagine some interesting courses they might offer...Spanish Armada, Crusades, lots of good stuff!

Yep. Hadn't thought about it before. "Top Christian military schools" (surely sponsored) includes St. Catherine's of Anaheim, CA. St. John's in DC was originally all-military -- now only 20 percent in the cadet corps.

devildeac
04-18-2020, 03:21 PM
A Catholic military school! That's a new one on me...I can imagine some interesting courses they might offer...Spanish Armada, Crusades, lots of good stuff!

When tests and quizzes are given, are they called the Spanish Inquisitions?

Bob Green
04-29-2020, 04:37 PM

Veilleux has committed to Penn State.

chrishoke
05-07-2020, 08:16 AM
BangBang DukeGang21!

Duke receives a commitment from a three star NC DB with offers from Northwestern, NCS, WF among others. Sorry I can’t link now.

CameronBornAndBred
05-07-2020, 12:37 PM
BangBang DukeGang21!

Duke receives a commitment from a three star NC DB with offers from Northwestern, NCS, WF among others. Sorry I can’t link now.

Thinking this is the guy you are talking about. (Also brought up in the offseason thread, but this one is more fitting.)

https://www.highschoolot.com/newton-conover-cornerback-brandon-johnson-commits-to-duke/19087566/

Bob Green
05-07-2020, 03:05 PM
BangBang DukeGang21!

I thoroughly enjoy Duke beating out the other in state schools.

Jedweb
05-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Beating out the other in state competition is indeed nice. Watching what Mack Brown has been doing at uncch is a little disquieting, though. Does anyone know whether Duke has recruited any of his highly rated commits? Have the blue smurfs simply discarded any pretense of academic competence to the extent that we could not even go after any of Mack's recruits? It certainly wouldn't surprise me, but i just don't know.

CameronBornAndBred
05-07-2020, 04:31 PM
Beating out the other in state competition is indeed nice. Watching what Mack Brown has been doing at uncch is a little disquieting, though. Does anyone know whether Duke has recruited any of his highly rated commits? Have the blue smurfs simply discarded any pretense of academic competence to the extent that we could not even go after any of Mack's recruits? It certainly wouldn't surprise me, but i just don't know.
Meh. It's not a surprise. Even if MB weren't the one recruiting, the goats will always have a leg up since they don't have the academic requirements. And that's AFTER the scandal! There is a reason that on the whole Duke is so selective and that Chapel Hill is third in enrollment only behind NCSU and Cape Fear Community College. (Not kidding, and only by barely 200 for CFCC. 29,469 to 29,671)

AustinDevil
05-07-2020, 05:18 PM
Meh. It's not a surprise. Even if MB weren't the one recruiting, the goats will always have a leg up since they don't have the academic requirements. And that's AFTER the scandal! There is a reason that on the whole Duke is so selective and that Chapel Hill is third in enrollment only behind NCSU and Cape Fear Community College. (Not kidding, and only by barely 200 for CFCC. 29,469 to 29,671)

I think you missed the poster's point. This isn't about Duke v UNC recruiting. Washed-up ol' Mack currently has a consensus Top 5 recruiting class; some of that is just due to having more than the average number of recruits (14 at the moment), but most of those 14 are at least 4-star recruits.

CameronBornAndBred
05-07-2020, 05:41 PM
I think you missed the poster's point. This isn't about Duke v UNC recruiting. Washed-up ol' Mack currently has a consensus Top 5 recruiting class; some of that is just due to having more than the average number of recruits (14 at the moment), but most of those 14 are at least 4-star recruits.

It appeared to be.
But if not, "Washed-up ol' Mack" also has a banner. If I were a top recruit, I'd listen hard. (And be very happy that I don't have to meet Duke's academic requirements.)

devildeac
05-07-2020, 05:46 PM
It appeared to be.
But if not, "Washed-up ol' Mack" also has a banner. If I were a top recruit, I'd listen hard. (And be very happy that I don't have to meet Duke's academic requirements.)

...or go to class...

johnb
05-07-2020, 09:24 PM
My nit to pick for the day:

Carolina's academic fraud was driven and condoned by the grown ups (coaching staff, administration, politicians, fans); they should feel ashamed of themselves. I tend to think they believe they can just outlive the controversy, but I will always see Ol' Roy & Co. as a bunch of liars and cheats who cut corners at the expense of their players' educations. I'm also happy to tar other grown ups for sticking up for them (I'll generally stick up for Bilas, but not when he outspokenly defends Williams).

OTOH, I'm happy to give the Carolina players a pass--and certainly don't feel a need to disrespect their decision to attend the state's flagship public university. A lot of their basketball and football players would have done fine at Duke.

budwom
05-18-2020, 05:05 PM
Riley Leonard, 6-4 QB from Alabama commits to Duke...good athlete (good hoopster), offers from Vandy, Syracuse, Nebraska among others, seems fine to me...

AustinDevil
05-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Riley Leonard, 6-4 QB from Alabama commits to Duke...good athlete (good hoopster), offers from Vandy, Syracuse, Nebraska among others, seems fine to me...

QB offer lists are tricky once you get below the very top tier of QBs, because it can be hard to be sure for exactly what position the other schools were recruiting the kid. Still seems like a nice list, of course.

chrishoke
05-18-2020, 05:51 PM
Welcome Riley. Good size and athleticism. Strong academics. https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/riley-leonard-duke-blue-devils-football-recruiting-commitment-147267637/

jafarr1
05-18-2020, 06:17 PM
QB offer lists are tricky once you get below the very top tier of QBs, because it can be hard to be sure for exactly what position the other schools were recruiting the kid. Still seems like a nice list, of course.

Often true. But in this case, Syracuse had him #1 on their QB board: https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2020/05/syracuse-football-recruiting-top-qb-target-riley-leonard-commits-to-duke.html

Vanderbilt was trying to make inroads with Leonard as a QB as well.

pigskindevil
05-18-2020, 07:21 PM
yeah vandy had him up high as a ''qb'' prospect also. just a really athletic kid. between he and moore we have really picked up two really good prospects to develop.

JasonEvans
05-19-2020, 09:35 AM
Riley Leonard also had multiple scholarship offers to play basketball, not from high major programs but from some solid mid-majors. Kid is a heck of an athlete and will be a tremendous asset for the football program.

--Jason "you know who else all the programs wanted to play multiple sports? Troublemaker* (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42447-G-League-to-offer-contracts-to-top-high-schoolers&p=1094898#post1094898) "Evans

brlftz
05-19-2020, 09:49 AM
Riley Leonard also had multiple scholarship offers to play basketball, not from high major programs but from some solid mid-majors. Kid is a heck of an athlete and will be a tremendous asset for the football program.

A few interesting parallels with DJ - great size and athleticism, excellent hoopster, but flew under the radar due to some unusual circumstances (DJ missed junior year due to injury I think, RL missed spring practice and summer camps due to Covid), ended up catching Cut's attention via a personal connection. Obviously not expecting him to be a top 10 pick in a few years, but football seems to offer more chances to find hidden gems if you're on your toes.

sagegrouse
05-19-2020, 11:15 AM

A few interesting parallels with DJ - great size and athleticism, excellent hoopster, but flew under the radar due to some unusual circumstances (DJ missed junior year due to injury I think, RL missed spring practice and summer camps due to Covid), ended up catching Cut's attention via a personal connection. Obviously not expecting him to be a top 10 pick in a few years, but football seems to offer more chances to find hidden gems if you're on your toes.

From A. Rowe and 247Sports/Devils Den:

"Duke was the school that for the rest of my life I could walk around with pride knowing I went there," Leonard told TheDevilsDen.com before announcing his decision. "My QB coach out of Mobile, David Morris, was coached by Coach Cut at Ole Miss with Eli Manning. Him and coach talked about me and ever since the first conversation with Cut, there was a click".

Ding-ding-ding!

budwom
05-19-2020, 12:22 PM
we finally seem to be stacking up an impressive inventory of QBs, which, after enduring last year's paucity of QBs, is refreshing.

mattman91
05-19-2020, 12:26 PM

I peeped his highlights on YT. Wonder if he would be able to walk-on to the basketball team (or if Cut would allow that).

budwom
05-19-2020, 12:34 PM
I peeped his highlights on YT. Wonder if he would be able to walk-on to the basketball team (or if Cut would allow that).

I can't speak for Cut, but having your QB miss Spring practice is generally frowned upon. Our football team needs QBs more than our basketball team needs walkons, I suspect.

CameronBornAndBred
05-19-2020, 08:55 PM
I can't speak for Cut, but having your QB miss Spring practice is generally frowned upon. Our football team needs QBs more than our basketball team needs walkons, I suspect.

I'm missing something. Who missed practice next year? (And the whole team missed practice this year, right?)

jimsumner
05-19-2020, 09:25 PM
I'm missing something. Who missed practice next year? (And the whole team missed practice this year, right?)

I believe the point was that Leonard could not walk on to the basketball team without missing spring football practice.

Or were you joshing us?

CameronBornAndBred
05-19-2020, 10:30 PM
I believe the point was that Leonard could not walk on to the basketball team without missing spring football practice.

Or were you joshing us?

Nope. Flew right over my head. That happens often.

Bob Green
05-29-2020, 04:23 PM
Dylan Merrell, 6’1” defensive back from Georgia, verbals to Duke.

chrishoke
05-29-2020, 05:09 PM
Welcome Dylan! Nice offer list including Oklahoma, Tennessee, Boston College, Wake Forest, and Indiana. I love Georgia recruits. At 6'1" nice size.

revmel53
05-29-2020, 05:42 PM
Great to get good news about anything these days... Welcome Dylan... Oklahoma and Tennessee!!!! Both of whom are now recruiting really well...

chrishoke
06-18-2020, 12:13 PM

247 Sports has now given Mr. Jones a 4 star rating, top 10 in NC. He is now out highest rated recruit in this class.

CameronBornAndBred
06-18-2020, 02:58 PM
247 Sports has now given Mr. Jones a 4 star rating, top 10 in NC. He is now out highest rated recruit in this class.

Sweet!

budwom
06-18-2020, 03:07 PM
In less sanguine football news, Anthony Fauci is saying he doesn't see how football can be played this Fall unless it's "in a bubble" as the NBA is talking about doing...football is the "perfect setup" to spread the virus due to close contact on every play.

I think his remarks were targeted at the NFL (not entirely clear), but it will be interesting to see how college presidents squirm their way out of this one, because they they want the TV money in the worst kind of way...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29328206/dr-anthony-fauci-football-needs-bubble-format-play-2020

Bob Green
06-18-2020, 03:08 PM

A 4 star offensive lineman that Duke is considering moving to tight end. I like the idea of 4 star offensive linemen playing offensive line.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/andrew-jones-2021-duke-blue-devils-recruiting-148255038/

Stormrider
06-20-2020, 10:48 AM
A 4 star offensive lineman that Duke is considering moving to tight end. I like the idea of 4 star offensive linemen playing offensive line.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/andrew-jones-2021-duke-blue-devils-recruiting-148255038/

I like the idea of trusting our coaching staff to make the right position decisions.

budwom
06-20-2020, 11:08 AM
I like the idea of trusting our coaching staff to make the right position decisions.

Well, last year we had a very suspect OL, but took a reasonably touted freshmen OT recruit (gelotte) and put him at tight end. Then we reversed course and put him back at OT this year. Now we're talking about
taking a VERY highly rated OT prospect and moving him...I'm with Bob, OT has not been a position of strength for us, let's build up some depth at OT before we manufacture more tight ends..

Our offensive line coaching has been poor the last few years, perhaps the new OL coach will fix things..

Bob Green
06-20-2020, 03:33 PM
OT Almarion Crim, 6’3” 285, commits to Duke. 3 Stars from Alabama.

devildeac
06-20-2020, 03:42 PM

Might need to take off a few pounds to play that TE position...

:rolleyes:;)

Sounds/looks good!!

chrishoke
06-20-2020, 03:46 PM
Welcome Mr. Crim. Love getting the big hogs. 19 offers including G.T, Louisville and Vir. Tech.

devildeac
06-20-2020, 03:50 PM
Welcome Mr. Crim. Love getting the big hogs. 19 offers including G.T, Louisville and Vir. Tech.

Probably shouldn't use that term around OPK, he'll be thinking about shoulders and butts for his BGE. :rolleyes:

Indoor66
06-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Probably shouldn't use that term around OPK, he'll be thinking about shoulders and butts for his BGE. :rolleyes:

NOTHING wrong with some hog.

chrishoke
07-27-2020, 08:28 AM
Adam Rowe
@AdamRoweTDD
2021 S Placide Djungu-Sungu commits to Duke over numerous offers: https://247sports.com/Player/Placide-Djungu-Sungu-46081692/

OldPhiKap
07-27-2020, 08:40 AM
Adam Rowe
@AdamRoweTDD
2021 S Placide Djungu-Sungu commits to Duke over numerous offers: https://247sports.com/Player/Placide-Djungu-Sungu-46081692/

Welcome!

Bob Green
07-27-2020, 09:57 AM
Adam Rowe
@AdamRoweTDD

Great news! Welcome to Duke Gang.

chrishoke
07-27-2020, 07:03 PM
Placide has 18 offers including Northwestern, Washington, Washington State, Utah, Rice and Yale. He is our 13th commit.

pigskindevil
07-27-2020, 09:46 PM
Placide has 18 offers including Northwestern, Washington, Washington State, Utah, Rice and Yale. He is our 13th commit.

rated an 86 by 247 and 5.6 by rivals. composite now has him as our #2 recruit

chrishoke
08-03-2020, 09:01 AM
BangBang DukeGang

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/cameron-bergeron-duke-blue-devils-football-recruiting-commitment-149804886/

Three star cornerback from Georgia is our 14th commitment. He is our fifth recruit in this class from the peach state. He ad 25 offers including from Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Wake Forest, West Virginia and Harvard. Welcome https://247sports.com/Player/Cameron-Bergeron-46081952.

johnb
08-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Adam Rowe
@AdamRoweTDD

I loved Placide's college list. He got offers from elite private schools in elite conferences (Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Tulane, Rice, SMU). He got three offers from Ivy League schools (Penn, Yale, Dartmouth). He got offers from two service academies (Army and Air Force). He looked at a few big state western schools (Utah, Nevada, Washington). And he got offers from a couple of land grant state universities that are solid but maybe a step back in regards to football (Missouri State and Arkansas State), and one HBCU (Texas Southern). I thought the list thoughtful and coherent.

ehdg
08-04-2020, 01:15 PM
This is good news!! Last 2 recruits have been Defensive Backfield pick ups.

Is there a post with all the 2021 commitments we presently? Would be nice to have that somewhere so we can see all that we have in commitments and positions we've picked up.
Also would be nice if it could be stickied to stay near the top of a thread.

budwom
08-04-2020, 02:29 PM

Is there a post with all the 2021 commitments we presently? Would be nice to have that somewhere so we can see all that we have in commitments and positions we've picked up.

Somewhat less good news: 14 commitments thus far, only two weigh more than 211 lbs. We need some beef, especially having suffered several DT defections...

chrishoke
08-04-2020, 06:54 PM

Check this link. https://247sports.com/college/duke/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

53n206
08-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Somewhat less good news: 14 commitments thus far, only two weigh more than 211 lbs. We need some beef, especially having suffered several DT defections...

I believe OU also has 14 committed so far.

jimsumner
08-04-2020, 07:43 PM

Cut's getting ready to install the revolutionary 2-2-7, with three cornerbacks and four safeties.

chrishoke
08-04-2020, 08:02 PM
Cut's getting ready to install the revolutionary 2-2-7, with three cornerbacks and four safeties.

We will set records for pass defense.

devildeac
08-04-2020, 09:59 PM
We will set records for pass defense.

And also for run defense, but not the good kind of records. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
08-04-2020, 10:01 PM

“All prevent — all the time”

OZZIE4DUKE
08-06-2020, 11:43 AM
“All prevent — all the time”

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Apparently, there is a word length limit in our softward that places the space in the long string of "o"s above. I feel like I've been wankerized!

devildeac
08-06-2020, 12:10 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Apparently, there is a word length limit in our softward that places the space in the long string of "o"s above. I feel like I've been wankerized!

Try it with 9F and see what you get...

ocean devil
08-07-2020, 07:44 AM
Notre Dame will tell us all we need to know about this years team.

camion
08-07-2020, 07:51 AM

I may have found a workaround. Reply with quote to see it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-07-2020, 11:10 AM
I may have found a workaround. Reply with quote to see it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo!

I see you fixed the problem but don't see what you did or how you did it! Wait, when I posted the reply the missing space reappeared. What gives?

CameronBornAndBred
08-13-2020, 12:07 PM
A 6'7" 315lb offensive lineman? Yes please!

Welcome to Duke Justin Pickett!

https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Pickett-46078787/

chrishoke
08-13-2020, 01:12 PM

Justin is a three star OL with offers from West Virginia, Arizona, Illinois, Iowa State and Indiana among many other non-P5 offers. We like hogs. Welcome to DukeGang big fella!

mattman91
08-13-2020, 01:32 PM

Saw that earlier. Looks like he went to the same high school as Josh McRoberts.

They grow em tall up there in Indiana.

devildeac
08-13-2020, 01:43 PM

Welcome!

Hope there's no discussion about moving him to TE...

OldPhiKap
08-13-2020, 01:53 PM
Saw that earlier. Looks like he went to the same high school as Josh McRoberts.

They grow em tall up there in Indiana.

They grow up tall
And they grow up right
Yes, those Indiana players
In those Indiana nights ....

— Tom Petty, sorta

Bob Green
08-13-2020, 03:25 PM

The link indicates he was recruited by Greg Frey. It’s good to see the new OL Coach make an impact.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-13-2020, 05:30 PM
Justin is a three star OL with offers from West Virginia, Arizona, Illinois, Iowa State and Indiana among many other non-P5 offers. We like hogs. Welcome to DukeGang big fella!
If Cut likes him, be assured he an run! Welcome!

jimsumner
08-13-2020, 11:55 PM
The link indicates he was recruited by Greg Frey. It’s good to see the new OL Coach make an impact.

You may recall that I had an article on Frey last week. Had a hard time getting up with him for an interview. He kept rescheduling because he was on a recruiting call.

Seems to have been worth it.

DevilHorse
08-21-2020, 08:36 AM
Arch Manning, son of Cooper, nephew of Eli and Peyton, already has a Duke scholarship offer, and now sports a top rated Quarterback ranking in the 2023 High School Recruiting class.

Will Arch follow in the family footsteps, while also blazing a new trail to a new school, so he can be taught by the football maven and grand-master Coach Cut?
[Did you say another 20 years of Manning Academies at Duke??]
Will Coach Cut, be interested in coaching long enough to stay in the game to coach this phenom, should he decide to attend Duke (at least to see if he does)?

Many questions remain. Should be a fun side light. I expect that Arch's family will have him well grounded and keep him from being pestered by the hype.

Can they really rate a guy 3 years out to be the top QB in his class? (whose to say their wrong?)

https://nypost.com/2020/08/19/arch-manning-the-no-1-qb-in-2023-recruit-rankings/

Larry
DevilHorse

Aladuke
08-22-2020, 07:33 PM
Riley Leonard , QB commit, was 19-27 For 278 yards with 2 passing TD’s,2 rushing TD’s , and 1 receiving TD. Fairhope, AL beat Spanish Fort in their opener. Saw a highlight clip on one of the local stations. Good looking kid. Tall and fast. Very good arm and wheels. Looks like a very good addition. Wanted to link, but article was removed. Game was played Thursday

richmclean
08-22-2020, 11:49 PM
D looks in good shape but we’ll see how the front 6 grows. Gilbert at full speed is adding an all ACC DB to a D with dynamite edge rushers.
QB Whisperer needs a skilled pipeline. Might be the best group he’s had but few have played downs with Brice the most. Rooting for Gunnar TBH as a homegrown Duke recruit all the way. Helps the program the most if he wins the job beating out a solid Clemson QB.

Who ofc I’d be happy with too if he wins the job!

And some more TEs please.

OL has depth and potential. Could be real good.

Play calling likely to improve.

Opt outs affect teams differently depending on talent and depth.

Trenches will determine a lot. Out best teams of 12-16 had stellar OL with Tomlinson, Skura, Patrick sticking in the League. Running game needs to get it done.

jimsumner
08-23-2020, 03:44 PM
D looks in good shape but we’ll see how the front 6 grows. Gilbert at full speed is adding an all ACC DB to a D with dynamite edge rushers.
QB Whisperer needs a skilled pipeline. Might be the best group he’s had but few have played downs with Brice the most. Rooting for Gunnar TBH as a homegrown Duke recruit all the way. Helps the program the most if he wins the job beating out a solid Clemson QB.

Who ofc I’d be happy with too if he wins the job!

And some more TEs please.

OL has depth and potential. Could be real good.

Play calling likely to improve.

Opt outs affect teams differently depending on talent and depth.

Trenches will determine a lot. Out best teams of 12-16 had stellar OL with Tomlinson, Skura, Patrick sticking in the League. Running game needs to get it done.

Wrong thread, perhaps?

chrishoke
08-25-2020, 08:13 AM
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/trent-davis-duke-blue-devils-football-recruiting-commitment-150641620/

Duke lands a 3 star running back, certainly a position of need. Duke was his only P5 offer.

Bob Green
08-25-2020, 12:53 PM
Duke lands a 3 star running back, certainly a position of need. Duke was his only P5 offer.

Good news as running back is definitely a position of need. We need to sign one more (or two) seeing as there were zero inked in 2020

jimsumner
08-25-2020, 02:50 PM
Good news as running back is definitely a position of need. We need to sign one more (or two) seeing as there were zero inked in 2020

The big variable here is Coleman and Hubbard recovering from Achilles injuries. Do both of them make it all the way back? One? Neither? I confess I'm not optimistic about Hubbard. So, yes Duke needs some bodies here, hopefully talented bodies.

Bob Green
08-25-2020, 03:12 PM
The big variable here is Coleman and Hubbard recovering from Achilles injuries. Do both of them make it all the way back? One? Neither? I confess I'm not optimistic about Hubbard. So, yes Duke needs some bodies here, hopefully talented bodies.

Achilles injuries can be debilitating so I’m never optimistic.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-26-2020, 06:44 AM
At 5' 11" and 170 pounds, at first glance he's a bit small. Watching the mix tape linked, he has good speed, makes a couple of shifty breakaway moves in traffic and has good hands. He reminds me of other successful Duke running backs of his stature. Guys like Roger Boone, for instance.

Welcome to Duke, Trent!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Bob Green
08-26-2020, 10:19 AM
At 5' 11" and 170 pounds, at first glance he's a bit small.

Shaun Wilson was 5’9” and 180 as a freshman.

jimsumner
08-26-2020, 10:49 AM
At 5' 11" and 170 pounds, at first glance he's a bit small. Watching the mix tape linked, he has good speed, makes a couple of shifty breakaway moves in traffic and has good hands. He reminds me of other successful Duke running backs of his stature. Guys like Roger Boone, for instance.

Welcome to Duke, Trent!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Interesting comparison. Guys like Boone and Mike Grayson were assets catching the ball out of the backfield. At that size I would hope he's a good receiver.

johnb
08-26-2020, 11:30 AM
Shaun Wilson was 5’9” and 180 as a freshman.

Brandon Ingram was also about 5'9" and 180 as a freshman,

though I may be off a digit on his height.

Btw, even the NFL has a bunch of small guys:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/431278-size-isnt-everything-10-small-nfl-players-with-great-talent

Acymetric
08-26-2020, 12:40 PM

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/431278-size-isnt-everything-10-small-nfl-players-with-great-talent

Did you mean someone else other than Brandon Ingram?

TruBlu
08-26-2020, 12:44 PM

Fairly certain that he was making a joke.

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2020, 01:48 PM

If he actually did mean Ingram, Brandon was 6'2" in his freshman year.

The NBA lists him as 6'7" now, but you can find reports of how he is anywhere from 6'9" to 6'11". Which only proves that Brandon Ingram is a shape shifter and nobody will ever know how tall he truly is.

Acymetric
08-26-2020, 03:46 PM
If he actually did mean Ingram, Brandon was 6'2" in his freshman year.

The NBA lists him as 6'7" now, but you can find reports of how he is anywhere from 6'9" to 6'11". Which only proves that Brandon Ingram is a shape shifter and nobody will ever know how tall he truly is.

Where are you getting that? He was listed at 6'9 at Duke. He certainly wasn't 6'2 at any point when he was on campus.

I still don't get it, then.

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Where are you getting that? He was listed at 6'9 at Duke. He certainly wasn't 6'2 at any point when he was on campus.

Not sure why I was thinking high school, but that's where that 6'2" height is from.
However, if you look him up, wiki, the NBA and everyone else has him listed at 6'7". So he shrunk 2" after Duke. (But also like I said, you will find past reports saying that he was 6'11".)

Acymetric
08-26-2020, 06:40 PM
Not sure why I was thinking high school, but that's where that 6'2" height is from.
However, if you look him up, wiki, the NBA and everyone else has him listed at 6'7". So he shrunk 2" after Duke. (But also like I said, you will find past reports saying that he was 6'11".)

Someone get the cinder blocks ;)

johnb
08-26-2020, 11:46 PM

It’s not a good sign when the consensus is that maybe the poster was making a joke.

To clarify, I’d noticed that our NBA All Star, Brandon Ingram, weighed about as much as these small football recruits but was a foot taller. So I changed 6’9 to 5’9”, and bingo, instant joke.

Though, by “instant,” I mean I did do my research. Not to make it funnier but to ramble through the internet looking for his accurate height and weight. Because that’s the way I meaningfully spend the limited days I have on this planet, looking up heights of athletes. Brandon is indeed listed as an NBA 6’7” and his weight was more like 185 in hs, but I decided to stick with the weight of the football recruit and just add a foot. Since that made the joke even more hilarious.

My humor has, incidentally, been affected by 4 months by myself with a 10 yr old in a NYC apartment. She, incidentally, told me last spring that there was one big difference between her main teacher and me. And that difference was that Mr. P is funny, and I think I’m funny. And I don’t blame this clang on covid—I’d have made the same “joke” a year ago. I stand fully by this effort, and am ready to fall on my humor sword and fall back on my day job.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-26-2020, 11:57 PM
It’s not a good sign when the consensus is that maybe the poster was making a joke.

To clarify, I’d noticed that our NBA All Star, Brandon Ingram, weighed about as much as these small football recruits but was a foot taller. So I changed 6’9 to 5’9”, and bingo, instant joke.

Though, by “instant,” I mean I did do my research. Not to make it funnier but to ramble through the internet looking for his accurate height and weight. Because that’s the way I meaningfully spend the limited days I have on this planet, looking up heights of athletes. Brandon is indeed listed as an NBA 6’7” and his weight was more like 185 in hs, but I decided to stick with the weight of the football recruit and just add a foot. Since that made the joke even more hilarious.

My humor has, incidentally, been affected by 4 months by myself with a 10 yr old in a NYC apartment. She, incidentally, told me last spring that there was one big difference between her main teacher and me. And that difference was that Mr. P is funny, and I think I’m funny. And I don’t blame this clang on covid—I’d have made the same “joke” a year ago. I stand fully by this effort, and am ready to fall on my humor sword and fall back on my day job.

Can't spork. Way to own it. You didn't use the classic cop out of "I'm sorry if anyone was offended."

TruBlu
08-27-2020, 05:24 AM

I was able to spork yoo, but my meessage in the spoark got garbled due to a glitch faillaure of my keyboad. The glitch m ost definitely did not have anytrhing to do witth it being 5:15 in the moorning and not havinf my daily cofffee requirements.

chrishoke
08-27-2020, 04:27 PM
BangBang DukeGang! Welcome Trey Brown, three star 6'3"DE/ LB from Arizona! Thirteen offers, one P5 from Wash. State.
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/trey-brown-duke-blue-devils-football-recruiting-commitment-150657630/

CameronBornAndBred
08-27-2020, 04:32 PM
BangBang DukeGang! Welcome Trey Brown, three star 6'3"DE/ LB from Arizona! Thirteen offers, one P5 from Wash. State.
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/trey-brown-duke-blue-devils-football-recruiting-commitment-150657630/

Welcome to the land of humidity, Trey!

Bob Green
08-27-2020, 04:40 PM
BangBang DukeGang! Welcome Trey Brown, three star 6'3"DE/ LB

Recruiting seems to be picking up. Trey’s father was an Pro Bowl selection in 2001.

Aladuke
08-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Riley Leonard with another good night with 3 TD passes in a 28-21 win. He has accounted for 8 TD’s in his first two games this season. Playing in 7A classification in a very tough coastal Alabama region.

Native
09-16-2020, 05:24 PM
ESPN is reporting (https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29900092/michigan-qb-dylan-mccaffrey-opting-season-seek-transfer) that Michigan QB Dylan McCaffrey is opting out of this season and will seek a transfer. He’ll have two years of eligibility remaining. Duke did offer (https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2017/dylan-mccaffrey-593) him the first time around, and with Max having played here, I’d hope that Duke stays on his radar.

ehdg
09-16-2020, 09:29 PM
Was wondering this as well. Only thing is how many years eligibility does Brice have n would he want to wait that long. Plus we have Luca Dimont in the wings. I believe Luca is red shirting this year.

revmel53
09-17-2020, 06:59 AM
How long can Brice be with us? I've seen it reported two years and also one... Whether two or one, I can't believe McCaffrey wouldn't take a long hard look at us...

rtnorthrup
09-17-2020, 08:15 AM
Riley Leonard with another good night with 3 TD passes in a 28-21 win. He has accounted for 8 TD’s in his first two games this season. Playing in 7A classification in a very tough coastal Alabama region.

My south Alabama friends rave about this kid. Hekuva basketball player too.

91Duke
10-16-2020, 12:40 PM
I don't follow football recruiting all that closely, but I happened to catch this on reddit:

"2021 3* S Cole Bishop decommits from Duke"

https://twitter.com/Cole_bishop_8/status/1316906844615561216?s=20

OZZIE4DUKE
10-16-2020, 12:58 PM
How long can Brice be with us? I've seen it reported two years and also one... Whether two or one, I can't believe McCaffrey wouldn't take a long hard look at us...
Chase has 2 years of eligibility, including this year. LGD GTHc!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-16-2020, 01:00 PM
I don't follow football recruiting all that closely, but I happened to catch this on reddit:

So he couldn’t have played safety at Duke? Who told him that? Must be some other reason?

pigskindevil
10-16-2020, 01:52 PM
he had been following other teams and coaches on twitter and facebook since committing. has nothing to do with ''position''

chrishoke
10-16-2020, 04:36 PM

According to ESPN, he WAS our highest rated recruit.

Bob Green
10-17-2020, 01:08 PM
WR Harrison Wallace commits to Duke. 3 star from Alabama with offers from South Carolina, Houston and Tulane.

chrishoke
10-17-2020, 01:25 PM
WR Harrison Wallace commits to Duke. 3 star from Alabama with offers from South Carolina, Houston and Tulane.

I am not seeing a Houston offer. He is unrated by 247.

Bob Green
10-17-2020, 01:29 PM
I am not seeing a Houston offer. He is unrated by 247.

Yeah, I misinterpreted a tweet. No Houston offer.

chrishoke
10-17-2020, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I misinterpreted a tweet. No Houston offer.

Bob, I just saw this article and it mentions a Houston offer. Who knows?

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Duke-lands-Alabama-Harrison-Wallace-wide-receiver-shortly-after-making-an-offer-153110113/

chrishoke
11-19-2020, 05:33 PM

Another 2021 de-commitment. Very sad state of the program. He said he is still open to being recruited by Duke. Bye Mr. Crim.

Bob Green
11-19-2020, 07:20 PM
Another 2021 de-commitment. Very sad state of the program. He said he is still open to being recruited by Duke. Bye Mr. Crim.

I’m afraid he will not be the last.

PDDuke85
11-19-2020, 07:39 PM

When the CEO is mid 60’s, not extended beyond 06/23, and progrum in serious decline, I see poaching recruits as easy as Sunday morning....

AustinDevil
11-19-2020, 09:31 PM

This is weird. This isn't a recruit rejecting Duke. This sounds more like a staff that is checked out.

budwom
11-20-2020, 08:15 AM
recruits watch the games on TV and can assess much about the state of a program. The state of our program is not good.

chrishoke
11-20-2020, 10:03 AM

This doesn't look promising

Adam Rowe
@AdamRoweTDD
2021 Duke commit Cameron Bergeron offered by Michigan. https://247sports.com/player/cameron-bergeron-46081952/

johnb
11-20-2020, 11:43 AM
This article on Crim indicates that 600 players decommit every year around the country. It'd be unusual for us not to lose a few guys every year.

Crim attributes part of the decommitment to the long Dead Period, which has prevented Duke staff from maintaining/developing a meaningful connection. Lots of reasons for this guy not to want to follow through on his commitment, and genuine explanations are rarely available to them such as us.

It's been a rough year for Duke in regards to W/L, but if we'd been playing our usual schedule (including a few guaranteed OOC wins), it wouldn't be so bad. I'm a fairly casual observer of the team, but the team has seemed competitive with a bunch of very good teams. Compared to some of our opponents, we lack explosive talent, but I imagine explosive talent is hard to come by. All teams have injuries, but a couple of our best players happened to have had their careers derailed, and we don't have elite depth. Basically, since D Jones, we haven't caught a break in regards to 3 star recruits blossoming into NFL players (and DJ was one of our very few 2 stars). Without a few surprise NFL players, it's going to be tough to compete against all of the Power 5 State U's, which tend to be the destination for the 4 and 5 star players who grew up in that state. Ie, Carolina can be a hot mess, and they'll still have a big recruiting advantage for most elite players from the Carolinas.

That's not to say the program isn't in trouble, but I'd say that even during our best seasons, we have always needed a few breaks and have been facing ongoing structural issues that make it tough to compete at the top level of the ACC. So I'd say we've always been in trouble.

As for Coach Cut, I don't think mid 60's is especially old, but I'm 61 and have spent much of the past year listening to 24/7 news that focuses on two men a lot older than I.

Anyway, Mr. Crim's decision may reflect these chronic/acute systemic issues, but I'd hesitate to put too much weight on a few decommitments.

https://247sports.com/Article/Almarion-Crim-decommits-from-Duke-Blue-Devils-recruiting--155039911/

OZZIE4DUKE
11-20-2020, 03:36 PM
As for Coach Cut, I don't think mid 60's is especially old, but I'm 61 and have spent much of the past year listening to 24/7 news that focuses on two men a lot older than I.
/ (https://247sports.com/Article/Almarion-Crim-decommits-from-Duke-Blue-Devils-recruiting--155039911/)

As someone who is ~5 months older than Cut, I can assure you that 66 is NOT OLD!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

duke79
11-20-2020, 03:52 PM
As someone who is ~5 months older than Cut, I can assure you that 66 is NOT OLD!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

I turn 64 a week from today. I swear I don't feel a day over 63.

CameronBornAndBred
11-20-2020, 03:54 PM
I turn 64 a week from today. I swear I don't feel a day over 63.

Just wait 'til next week!

devildeac
11-20-2020, 07:29 PM

Depends...

:p

chrishoke
11-25-2020, 04:09 PM
Some good news - Duke RB/Slot Rec. recruit Trent Davis was named by Sports Illustrated as a top 250 finalist for its High School All American team.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/football/duke-rb-commit-trent-davis-named-siaa-finalist?fbclid=IwAR22FgDg3vy2ePT7i_ifGtz4CueiwRkZ D3bKE4gSg2kfTPfBRCHLlfPURQg

Bob Green
11-28-2020, 08:03 AM
Linebacker Nick Morris, Jr. commits to Duke. Nice size at 6’3” 225. A 3* from Austin, TX.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/244416/nick-morris-jr

chrishoke
11-28-2020, 08:31 AM
Linebacker Nick Morris, Jr. commits to Duke. Nice size at 6’3” 225. A 3* from Austin, TX.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/244416/nick-morris-jr

Just coming to post this. I like his speed and aggressiveness in his highlights. His only P5 offer is from our former D coordinator at Oklahoma State, otherwise Ivy offers. He is unranked on the 247 site.

Welcome to Duke football Nick.

chrishoke
12-04-2020, 04:01 PM
Two more commitments today.

Mandela Tobin, a defensive lineman from California. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Mandela-Tobin-132315/RecruitInterests/

Jaquez Moore, an athlete who will likely play running back, from Florida. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Mandela-Tobin-132315/RecruitInterests/

Both are rated low three stars. Jaquez has no P5 offers. Mandela has P5 offers from Nebraska. Kansas and Kansas State.

chrishoke
12-04-2020, 04:18 PM
Two more commitments today.

Mandela Tobin, a defensive lineman from California. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Mandela-Tobin-132315/RecruitInterests/

Jaquez Moore, an athlete who will likely play running back, from Florida. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Mandela-Tobin-132315/RecruitInterests/

Both are rated low three stars. Jaquez has no P5 offers. Mandela has P5 offers from Nebraska. Kansas and Kansas State.

Here is the correct second link. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jaquez-Moore-140846/RecruitInterests/

PDDuke85
12-04-2020, 09:36 PM
https://twitter.com/jamion_franklin/status/1335033175265976320?s=21

Under the cloak of Friday evening, Duke got some defensive help from Notre Dame

johnb
12-05-2020, 03:18 AM
https://twitter.com/jamion_franklin/status/1335033175265976320?s=21

Under the cloak of Friday evening, Duke got some defensive help from Notre Dame

Here’s more on the Notre Dame D Line transfer, including a bit on his own difficult struggle with Covid:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/jamion-franklin-duke-blue-devils-football-notre-dame-transfer-156091734/

chrishoke
12-05-2020, 09:32 AM
Here’s more on the Notre Dame D Line transfer, including a bit on his own difficult struggle with Covid:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/jamion-franklin-duke-blue-devils-football-notre-dame-transfer-156091734/

Fabulous news - position of dire need. Does N.D. have any linebackers they don't need?

JasonEvans
12-05-2020, 01:41 PM
Fabulous news - position of dire need. Does N.D. have any linebackers they don't need?

It is worth noting that this dude was barely playing at all for ND. It isn't even like we took a guy who was a backup... he was a backup to the backups. Still, clearly a player with some pedigree in recruiting and with 3 years to play in our program, he could be a real contributor if things work out for him.

CameronBornAndBred
12-05-2020, 01:48 PM
It is worth noting that this dude was barely playing at all for ND. It isn't even like we took a guy who was a backup... he was a backup to the backups. Still, clearly a player with some pedigree in recruiting and with 3 years to play in our program, he could be a real contributor if things work out for him.

As a three start recruit, he had a very impressive offer sheet, including from Duke. When we land a guy out of the box with his kind of offers, we tend to be very happy as fans. Hopefully it will be our silver lining that ND didn't work out for him.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/JaMion-Franklin-92164/RecruitInterests/

chrishoke
12-05-2020, 05:14 PM

You are of course correct, but it is not unusual for D linemen not to play much before their sophomore year, particularly in a program with the depth of a N.D.

JasonEvans
12-05-2020, 05:49 PM
You are of course correct, but it is not unusual for D linemen not to play much before their sophomore year, particularly in a program with the depth of a N.D.

Yup, I hear ya. Worth noting that this guy was in his third year at Notre Dame as he redshirted... so his "sophomore year" was his third year at ND.

roywhite
12-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Harrison Wallace, a WR from Alabama, flipped from Duke to Penn State.

https://247sports.com/player/harrison-wallace-46109887/

Acymetric
12-07-2020, 01:29 PM

Shame, looked like a good player.

chrishoke
12-07-2020, 01:40 PM

He was likely our highest rated recruit.

chrishoke
12-11-2020, 09:20 AM
Adam Rowe
@AdamRoweTDD
Abilene Christian Grad Transfer OL Kade Parmelly committed to Duke.

Bob Green
12-11-2020, 12:38 PM
Adam Rowe
@AdamRoweTDD
Abilene Christian Grad Transfer OL Kade Parmelly committed to Duke.

Offensive line is certainly a position of need.

Acymetric
12-11-2020, 12:44 PM
Offensive line is certainly a position of need.

Do we have a single position that isn't a position of need next year? Kicker and Punter I guess. Maybe Receiver?

Bob Green
12-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Do we have a single position that isn't a position of need next year? Kicker and Punter I guess. Maybe Receiver?

Perhaps running back but I’m not sure. Health is an issue for a couple guys.

Acymetric
12-11-2020, 01:20 PM
Perhaps running back but I’m not sure. Health is an issue for a couple guys.

I thought about running back, but the only one to really show much so far is Durant (who has been a pleasant surprise this year for me).

pigskindevil
12-11-2020, 01:53 PM
I thought about running back, but the only one to really show much so far is Durant (who has been a pleasant surprise this year for me).

i really like jordan waters but he is an outside the tackle runner and we just dont do a bunch of that

Bob Green
12-11-2020, 02:17 PM

I’m hopeful Jaylen Coleman fully recovers from his knee injury. He has both size and speed.

budwom
12-11-2020, 03:34 PM
I’m hopeful Jaylen Coleman fully recovers from his knee injury. He has both size and speed.

yeah, without him we are ultra thin at RB. Some portal additions are clearly better than others. J'Marick Woods, who came in from Michigan, has been really a huge disappointment for example...

sagegrouse
12-11-2020, 04:39 PM
yeah, without him we are ultra thin at RB. Some portal additions are clearly better than others. J'Marick Woods, who came in from Michigan, has been really a huge disappointment for example...

We need FBS-level football players of good character and able to handle the academics -- period, full stop. I wouldn't be surprised by further losses from the current squad and the recruits.

Bob Green
12-11-2020, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised by further losses from the current squad and the recruits.

That’s the big unknown. I suspect you are correct so we need to batten down the hatches for stormy seas ahead.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-11-2020, 05:33 PM
i really like jordan waters but he is an outside the tackle runner and we just dont do a bunch of that
We should. Deon Jackson up the middle on first down every time doesn’t work. Even my SO knows
it’s coming.

peloton
12-11-2020, 05:43 PM
We should. Deon Jackson up the middle on first down every time doesn’t work. Even my SO knows
it’s coming.

So you're saying she's aware of one often run play that we *shouldn't* be running. That's good enough for me...let's give her the OC job.

CameronBlue
12-11-2020, 06:39 PM
So you're saying she's aware of one often run play that we *shouldn't* be running. That's good enough for me...let's give her the OC job.

That puts Oz next in line for a promotion to an actual position of responsibility. Are you sure he's up to it?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-11-2020, 07:08 PM
She’s also not fond of the elbow pass. 🤣

OZZIE4DUKE
12-11-2020, 07:11 PM
That puts Oz next in line for a promotion to an actual position of responsibility. Are you sure he's up to it?
I’ve already said I’m not qualified to be OC. But I would like to call some
of the plays during a game!😎

OldPhiKap
12-16-2020, 08:07 AM
Signing Day! A national holiday here in SEC Country.

Swiseman’ s take (doe he still post here?): https://twitter.com/stevewisemannc/status/1339194856166600706?s=21

chrishoke
12-16-2020, 10:08 AM
17 of our current 18 commits have signed letters of intent. We are still awaiting the letter from our California commit Tobin which is expected soon.

chrishoke
12-16-2020, 10:12 AM
17 of our current 18 commits have signed letters of intent. We are still awaiting the letter from our California commit Tobin which is expected soon.

And now all 18 letters are in. Welcome to DukeGang gentlemen.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-16-2020, 10:33 AM

And that is certainly welcome and good news! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

duke09hms
12-16-2020, 10:53 AM

Over-under on career ACC wins vs ACC recruiting rankings for this class?
We're #13 of 14. WF is 14, and good thing we never lose them by 59.
Our talent development gurus will continue to work miracles!

PDDuke85
12-16-2020, 11:39 AM
Pretty certain Cut will say this is the fastest, most athletic class since he’s been at Duke

jimsumner
12-16-2020, 11:59 AM
Pretty certain Cut will say this is the fastest, most athletic class since he’s been at Duke

In fairness, every coach in America will be saying something along those lines.

If someone could have trademarked the phrase "we got better today," they would have become very, very rich.

jv001
12-16-2020, 02:51 PM
In fairness, every coach in America will be saying something along those lines.

If someone could have trademarked the phrase "we got better today," they would have become very, very rich.

Truth be told, our phrase this season would have been "we got worse today". But we couldn't have made money on it. :cool:

GoDuke!

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
12-16-2020, 03:57 PM
Truth be told, our phrase this season would have been "we got worse today". But we couldn't have made money on it. :cool:

GoDuke!
Pretty sad how apathetic we have become once again. Just a few years ago signing day created a little bit of excitement on DBR. Now it hardly draws any comments except some snarkiness. At least it seemed a positive that 6 of 18 are entering in January, assuming we have a spring practice this year. Recruiting has always been tough at Duke. Hopefully some of these guys will greatly exceed their ratings. On another note, one of our defensive coaches left. Maybe some others will take the hint and leave too. The best head coaches are like great CEOs, they hire great people under them. This is where Cut needs to concentrate on making upgrades.

chrishoke
12-16-2020, 05:12 PM
247 Sports ranks Duke's class 13th out of 14 teams in the ACC, partly because Duke has only 18 recruits. When you look at average recruit rankings, Duke is ranked 10th.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=ACC

chrishoke
12-16-2020, 05:22 PM
Duke's national rank in recruiting this year is 54th according to 247 and 56th according to Rivals.

jimsumner
12-16-2020, 05:43 PM
Pretty sad how apathetic we have become once again. Just a few years ago signing day created a little bit of excitement on DBR. Now it hardly draws any comments except some snarkiness. At least it seemed a positive that 6 of 18 are entering in January, assuming we have a spring practice this year. Recruiting has always been tough at Duke. Hopefully some of these guys will greatly exceed their ratings. On another note, one of our defensive coaches left. Maybe some others will take the hint and leave too. The best head coaches are like great CEOs, they hire great people under them. This is where Cut needs to concentrate on making upgrades.

Um, the defensive coach who left became defensive co-ordinator at Tulane. He got a promotion.

arnie
12-18-2020, 06:49 AM
Duke's national rank in recruiting this year is 54th according to 247 and 56th according to Rivals.

Curious if we’re still pursuing any unsigned 2021 HS players?

Also, any projections on how many scholarships will be available next fall (recognize this is just a guesstimate)?

budwom
12-18-2020, 08:15 AM
Curious if we’re still pursuing any unsigned 2021 HS players?

Also, any projections on how many scholarships will be available next fall (recognize this is just a guesstimate)?

I suspect we're still perusing the Port-O-Let for experienced transfers.

chrishoke
01-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Holy Cross grad transfer OL Brian Foley has committed to Duke over Texas and Stanford.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/brian-foley-holy-cross-grad-transfer-duke-blue-devils-football-158129907/

johnb
01-01-2021, 07:29 PM
Holy Cross grad transfer OL Brian Foley has committed to Duke over Texas and Stanford.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/brian-foley-holy-cross-grad-transfer-duke-blue-devils-football-158129907/

Foley played LT at Holy Cross and was 1st team all conference. Devil's Den says he'll likely move to guard at Duke. Seem like.a solid pickup. Also of interest: his visit was highlighted by facetime, zoom, and a round of golf.