PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Louisville (Sat 1/18, 6:00 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DavidBenAkiva
01-15-2020, 03:01 PM
Welp.

After an unfortunate trip to Clemson, SC, Duke looks to rebound against one of its toughest opponents to date, the Louisville Cardinals. Duke fans may remember the dramatic experience in Louisville last season. No doubt that left a bitter taste in the mouth of the Cardinals and their fans. As if they needed any extra motivation to play Duke.

The Cardinals are, quite simply, a solid team. They shoot the ball very well. They make life difficult to score around the basket. They are very good at defending the 3. They have length. They have experience. Of their top 7 scorers, all are either juniors or seniors. It's a good group. And yet, the Cardinals have looked so-so against their toughest opponents. They lost their first game in New York City against Texas Tech and looked completely mediocre on offense. They lost in overtime in Lexington to their rival, Kentucky. They followed that up with a loss at home to Florida State. While Duke was looking lost on Tuesday night to Clemson, Louisville just escaped Pittsburgh with an overtime victory (which also included a terrible call against the Panthers that had an effect on the outcome). Their best win came against a Michigan team that is looking less and less impressive. So it is hard to tell just how good Louisville really is. They look good on paper.

The team is led by POTY candidate JR F Jordan Nwora (6'7"). He is their leading scorer, pouring in 20 points a game to go along with 7 rebounds. He shoots the ball very, very well, making 44% of his 3-pointers. SR G Dwayne Sutton (6'5") is their leading rebounder, pulling down more than 9 per game to go along with his 9 points per game. UofL is one of the best offensive rebounding teams, and Sutton is one of the keys to their success. He's a real bulldog on the offensive glass. He can get lost a bit on offense but makes his shots at a high rate. SR G Ryan McMahon (6'0") is another gunner and might be the best or second best shooter on the team behind Nwora. McMahon is basically a designated gunner, rarely taking shots inside the arc.

Up front, Louisville relies on a pair of long and experienced big men. SR Stevon Enoch (6'10") is the second-leading scorer on the team, averaging about 10 points per game. He is decent offensively and will take the occasional jumper. He is also the best shot blocker on the team, although not particularly outstanding in that area. He is backed up by JR Mark Williams (6'11"), who honestly is like a carbon copy of Enoch. He's long, not overly skilled but good, and scores around the rim while taking a few jumpers a game. The Irish FR Aidan Igeihon (6'1'0") is an absolute unit of a human being but has not played or distinguished himself much so far in his freshman year.

Head Coach Chris Mack brought in a really deep and talented freshman class this season and has another one coming in next year. FR F Samuell Williamson (6'7") looks the part of a future stud, but he's getting minimal playing time with Jordan Nwora firmly ensconced at the same position. Likewise, 6'5" G David Johnson has received spot minutes here and there.

Where Louisville has struggled some is in the PG position. They rely on JR Darius Perry (6'2") and grad-transfer SR Lamarr "Fresh" Kimble (6'0") to handle the ball handling duties. They are ok. Perry, in particular, has had a case of the turnovers. That was particularly true against Texas Tech and Florida State, where Louisville coughed the ball up during about a quarter of their possessions. Where this Louisville team differs from those of the Rick Pitino era is that they do not pressure the ball very effectively. In fact, they are one of the worst teams in the nation in forcing TO's. They rarely poke the ball away or force teams into making bad decisions. Instead, they use their great length to make life difficult shooting the ball.

One of the big questions for Duke will be health. Will Joey Baker be available on Saturday night? On paper, Duke could match up well against UofL. Tre Jones provides a serious advantage at the PG position in this one. He and Jordan Goldwire could force Louisville into making bad decisions. On the other hand, we just saw how a physical guard like Dwayne Sutton can make life difficult for Duke without the right matchup. And then there is the case of defending Jordan Nwora. He is the head of the snake for Louisville's offense. He was a complete non-factor against Kentucky and struggled against both Texas Tech and Pitt. He was really good against Florida State, scoring a season-high 32 points on just 15 shots. But he did turn the ball over 4 times in that one and has averaged 2.5 TOs in his last 8 games. This could be a game where we see a lot of Jack White in the lineup. Cassius Stanley could also use his athleticism to keep up with Nwora. Wendell Moore's length would have come in handy against Nwora. Alas. It will be interesting to see how Matthew Hurt matches up with Nwora. He certainly has the size to do it and Nwora isn't the most physical player. It could work. If Hurt is able to check Nwora, that would be a big win for Duke. Otherwise, we might see a lot of lineups where Duke switches against their guards and hopes Nwora doesn't go off shooting over Goldwire or Jones.

Down low, Vernon Carey, Jr. should be able to hold his own on defense as their bigs are not as skilled or physical as recent bigs Duke has faced. Enoch is good and does take a few jumpers, but he is not a dominant scorer. What Louisville can do is make shooting around the rim difficult for Duke with their length. Carey has struggled against longer defenders and the Cardinals have plenty of them. But they aren't going to be bigger than him. And Carey can carve out the space against anyone Louisville will have on the floor. This is a key for Duke. Carey can relieve pressure on the offense by scoring early and often. And of course, making free throws would be helpful. This won't be easy for Duke. The Blue Devils will have to shoot it well from all over the floor and hold their own on defense. Contributions from Goldwire and White will pay huge dividends. It would be nice to see Duke bounce back after a tough loss. Saturday night, the lights will be bright. Will the Blue Devils turn it on?

CDu
01-15-2020, 06:26 PM
The Cardinals are going to be a tough matchup for us. I'd feel a lot better if Wendell Moore was playing, because their best player is the type of guy we don't have many counters for. They can punish you inside or outside, especially outside. The one area that they struggle in though, is one of our strengths (turnovers). So hopefully we can punish that.

Centers: The Cardinals have a pair of monsters up front. Stephen Enoch (6'10", 255lb) is a REALLY good player. He has a nice touch from the perimeter, but also is a very effective back-to-the-basket scorer. He's going to be a real headache for Carey. Enoch is very stout, and very good, on both ends of the floor. He is a grown-a__ man on the court. Rebounds well on both ends, blocks shots, hits jumpers, has a really nice post game. He's not as fluid with the ball as Aamir Simms was last night, but otherwise he's comparably dangerous both inside and out. Behind him is Malik Williams (6'11", 245lb). Williams is longer and leaner than Enoch, but still very dangerous. He's much more willing to take a 3 than Enoch, and despite his low % this year is quite capable from out there. Williams is springier than Enoch, with loads of potential, but has never quite put it together. The two rarely play together, but they average about 18 and 13 in less than 40 minutes combined.

Forwards The other spot where the Cardinals will give us trouble is at forward. Especially without Wendell Moore, we're really not well matched up against the Cards at forward. The two starters are both studs. Jordan Nwora (6'7", 225lb) is an All-American and PoY candidate. He isn't overly athletic, but he's incredibly skilled with the ball. He's an ELITE shooter and can score at all 3 levels. Against bigs, he can shoot 3s and drive. Against smalls, he can score in the post. He's physically strong and just athletic enough to to make his skill and savvy work. It will be really interesting to see how we handle him. Hopefully Hurt and White can do the job. The problem is that Nwora isn't the only weapon. Dwayne Sutton (6'5", 220lb) is an absolute dynamo. He is like a better version of Tevin Mack, who gave us fits last night. Sutton is a pretty terrific rebounder, and not a bad shotblocker. He's extremely strong, physical, and athletic. But with that size and athleticism comes a fair amount of skill. He's a little like Justise Winslow - capable of guarding 1 to 5 without embarrassment, better 3pt shooter than you'd expect, and just a monster all around player. Don't let his low scoring average fool you: the Cardinals' pace of play is partly to blame, along with Nwora and their centers, otherwise this guy would be a double-double machine. We might be okay against one of these guys, but handling both is going to be a problem without Moore. Sam Williamson (6'7", 200lb) is the other forward of note. But I use that term loosely. He's mostly minutes filler for the other two.

Wings: Ryan McMahon (6'0", 185lb) is the primary wing. Technically, he's their sixth man, but he plays starter minutes coming off the bench. He's a marksman: 43% on 3s, 91% on FTs. He doesn't get fouled in regular play much, mainly because almost 80% of his FG attempts are 3s. You have to account for him at all times, but he's largely there as floor spacing for the others and does nearly all his scoring via assists. Behind McMahon is David Johnson (6'5", 210lb). Johnson is a talented combo guard. He's capable of creating his own shot or for others, and can shoot from 3. He'll slot nicely into the starting lineup next year when McMahon departs, and appears to have a bright future.

Guards: This is the weakness of the Cardinals. They really don't have a true PG. Darius Perry (6'2", 195lb) and Lamarr Kimble (6'0", 185lb) share the role as starters, though they tend to split up after the opening tip. Kimble is the more PG-ish of the two, but still not a great PG. Kimble is not overly athletic, but he's smart and tough. Not unlike Alvarado from Ga Tech, although he's a bit more stout and less athletic. Kimble is very much a role player for the Cards, more scrappy than good. Perry is sort of the opposite. He's more athletic than Kimble, and similarly tough, but not as savvy. In terms of production, they both give about the same. The two combine for about 10 points and 7.5 assists in 43 minutes, which is capable but not great PG play.

If we can turn them over, we stand a good chance of winning. If they can consistently get the ball into their halfcourt set, we may be in trouble. It's gonna be an interesting test for the team. Unfortunate that we won't be at full strength for this one.

DavidBenAkiva
01-15-2020, 08:09 PM
Pressing with Jones and Goldwire really challenged Louisville in the second half last year. They have not responded well on offense to teams with aggressive guards, like Kentucky. I expect we will see a lot of Jones and Goldwire in this one. Since both Goldwire and White are starting to hit their 3's, it presents an interesting matchup for Duke. If the two are hitting their shots, Duke's offense can work.

Saratoga2
01-15-2020, 09:25 PM
Pressing with Jones and Goldwire really challenged Louisville in the second half last year. They have not responded well on offense to teams with aggressive guards, like Kentucky. I expect we will see a lot of Jones and Goldwire in this one. Since both Goldwire and White are starting to hit their 3's, it presents an interesting matchup for Duke. If the two are hitting their shots, Duke's offense can work.

Same cast of characters playing a team that has seen how to exploit us. Joey may be back but is he enough? My hope is that Hurt will come back and play better and Javin can give us some good minutes.

jv001
01-16-2020, 11:34 AM
Here are some stats on this years Louisville team:

Starters by games started: Nwora-17, Perry-17, Sutton=17, Enoch-17, McMahon-13, Kimble-4
Players and mpg.: Nwora-33, Sutton-33, McMahon-28, Perry-23, Enoch-22, Kimble-21, Williams-18, Williamson-14
Players pts per game: Nwora-20.4, Enoch-10.8, Sutton-9.2, McMahon-9.0, Williams-7.5, Perry-5.5, Kimble, 4.8, Williamson-4.5

Team facts:
Points per game= 74.6, Points allowed=61.6

Rebounds per game= 40...offensive rebounds per game-11, defensive rebounds per game-29. Leading rebounders; Sutton-9.1, Nwora-7.4, Enoch-6.8, Williams-6.4
Sutton- 2.9 orbpg, Nwora-2.0

Team blocks per game-2.9,
Steals per game-4.8,
Turnovers 12.2
Three point %-.382I
FT%- .713

It looks like Perry and Kimble are the two weakest players for the Cards but we'll have our hands full with Nwora and Sutton. Enoch looks to be a good inside player that can hurt us as well. Keeping them off the 3 point line(38%) and off the FT line(71%) will be key. I hope we can turn those guards over(Perry and Kimble) because that could mean the difference in winning or losing this important game. I have confidence that Tre and Jordan are up to the task.

My prediction for starting lineup: Tre, Jordan, Vernon, Cassius and Jack. No prediction on who wins.

GoDuke!

SkyBrickey
01-16-2020, 12:36 PM
Home court advantage may be the difference maker on this one. Need our sixth man to help keep tough pressure on their perimeter. Should be a great battle. I think we'll miss having Moore to guard Nwora, but no excuses!

uh_no
01-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Home court advantage may be the difference maker on this one. Need our sixth man to help keep tough pressure on their perimeter. Should be a great battle. I think we'll miss having Moore to guard Nwora, but no excuses!

hopefully we won't be down 22 in this one...

Pghdukie
01-16-2020, 01:46 PM
Anyone have a stat on K's record vs Louisville ?

pfrduke
01-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Anyone have a stat on K's record vs Louisville ?

6-6, but on a 3-game winning streak.

simplyluvin
01-16-2020, 04:50 PM
This feels like a matchup problem for us. Their bigs are good, and Vernon has to stay out of foul trouble. Jack guarding Nwora seems to make the most sense. Looking for big games from Tre and Cassius, with the latter hopefully containing Sutton.

Worried about this one, but glad we’re at home. Expect to see a good amount of press. Go Duke!

jv001
01-16-2020, 06:34 PM
This feels like a matchup problem for us. Their bigs are good, and Vernon has to stay out of foul trouble. Jack guarding Nwora seems to make the most sense. Looking for big games from Tre and Cassius, with the latter hopefully containing Sutton.

Worried about this one, but glad we’re at home. Expect to see a good amount of press. Go Duke!

The leading rebounders are Nwora(7.4) and Sutton(9.1), the wings. Enoch their big is 3rd with 6.8 per game. However I do worry about the Louisville bigs doing to Vernon what Clemson's 4 & 5 did to him. I agree on Jack and Cassius being on Nwora and Sutton. I hope Tre and Jordan can make Perry, Kimble & McMahon turn the ball over. I believe keeping Louisville off the offensive glass, don't let McMahon go from three and creating turnovers will go along way in beating the Cards.

GoDuke!

Fish80
01-16-2020, 07:19 PM
Hoping for big games from our big 4: Vernon, Matt, Javin and Jack. I believe they have something they want to prove.

dukelifer
01-16-2020, 08:23 PM
Going to be a very tough game. Hopefully Baker will back. It will helpful to be at home- perhaps Hurt will be more comfortable. Louisville will be looking to make a statement. Duke will need to be ready for a fight.

sagegrouse
01-16-2020, 11:18 PM
Going to be a very tough game. Hopefully Baker will back. It will helpful to be at home- perhaps Hurt will be more comfortable. Louisville will be looking to make a statement. Duke will need to be ready for a fight.

I am hoping that Hurt will be more Hurt-ful to Louisville.

AZLA
01-17-2020, 12:50 AM
I think I'll re-watch the last half of last year's game and enjoy the Jones/Goldwire/Zion lock-down defense and epic comeback before Saturday. The cherry on top was RJ passing the ball back between his legs so Cam could drill the dagger 3. There as no quit in that team.

dukebluesincebirth
01-17-2020, 06:32 AM
I thought Wendell was supposed to be back in January.. are we talking the end of January or what?? We need our depth for this game, which will be much tougher than Clemson. What’s the status of Moore and Baker?

CDu
01-17-2020, 07:36 AM
I thought Wendell was supposed to be back in January.. are we talking the end of January or what?? We need our depth for this game, which will be much tougher than Clemson. What’s the status of Moore and Baker?

Moore returning in January is a best-case scenario. Remember: it hasn’t even been two weeks since his injury yet, and it is typically a 4-6 week recovery. So, yes, think end of January as a best-case scenario.

gofurman
01-17-2020, 08:52 AM
any chance of Baker in this one?

UrinalCake
01-17-2020, 10:04 AM
I think I'll re-watch the last half of last year's game...

For anyone wanting the condensed version of the comeback, here ya go. I have to confess that I had given up on the game when we went down 20. I hoped that the rest of the game could provide a learning experience and just wanted the team to show some fight and not give up. Then we just kept turning them over and crept closer and closer back into it.

https://youtu.be/OydPe7ZtdRY

jv001
01-17-2020, 10:10 AM
For anyone wanting the condensed version of the comeback, here ya go. I have to confess that I had given up on the game when we went down 20. I hoped that the rest of the game could provide a learning experience and just wanted the team to show some fight and not give up. Then we just kept turning them over and crept closer and closer back into it.

Jordan Goldwire's energy and defense played a big part in that victory. GoDuke!

ndkjr70
01-17-2020, 10:14 AM
6-6, but on a 3-game winning streak.

I'd trade all 6 of those wins for 2 of the losses, :(

ndkjr70
01-17-2020, 10:17 AM
I'd trade all 6 of those wins for 2 of the losses, :(

After the unexpected loss to a very not good basketball team, this seems like a "must win" if Duke wants to win the outright ACC for the first time since 2006. It's also vitally important to get the 1-seed in this year's ACCT, as there will be a significant drop-off in quality of opponent between the 3 seed and the 4 seed this year.

About as big a game as you'll ever see in January. Glad it's at home. I know the boys will come out with energy, so I'm not too worried about Louisville's "revenge factor". I am, however, extra worried about who will guard Nwora.

I would be surprised, and disappointed, if we saw more than 3 minutes of Alex O'Connell.

Music man55
01-17-2020, 10:38 AM
Glad this one's at home. I think we'll be ready to play this one, Nwora is really the only player the 'Ville has that worries me.Who will guard him? Jack,or Matt? Or both? Hopefully even if Nwora gets his points, we can shut down the rest of them.This is an important game as so many posters have talked about. Really need to get this win. Go Duke!

jv001
01-17-2020, 10:42 AM
After the unexpected loss to a very not good basketball team, this seems like a "must win" if Duke wants to win the outright ACC for the first time since 2006. It's also vitally important to get the 1-seed in this year's ACCT, as there will be a significant drop-off in quality of opponent between the 3 seed and the 4 seed this year.

About as big a game as you'll ever see in January. Glad it's at home. I know the boys will come out with energy, so I'm not too worried about Louisville's "revenge factor". I am, however, extra worried about who will guard Nwora.

I would be surprised, and disappointed, if we saw more than 3 minutes of Alex O'Connell.

I expect if Alex gets many minutes he would have been really good in practice since the Clemson game. I don't know if Duke had enough practice sessions for that to happen. I hope he plays well in the minutes he does get.
GoDuke!

DukieInBrasil
01-17-2020, 10:58 AM

so much fun! One thing to note: everybody talks about RJ's between the legs no look pass to Cam for the game tying 3, which was amazing. However, at at about 4:30 of game time remaining RJ had a similarly cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce (h/t Beastie Boys) pass for a score. It was a behind the back no look pass on the left side, which if he had f'd it up, might have cost the team momentum and the comeback. Fortunately the pass was completed and the momentum kept building, but it was a stone-cold play to make at that moment.

killerleft
01-17-2020, 11:56 AM
Jordan Goldwire's energy and defense played a big part in that victory. GoDuke!

Cam Reddish was very, very good in this one, as well, at least during the comeback. We looked pretty bad digging the hole.

Troublemaker
01-17-2020, 12:01 PM

Because Louisville plays a traditional lineup including a traditional center as opposed to the small / quick looks that Clemson, SFA, and VaTech (1st half before Duke went small) could throw at us, I think the matchup is at least neutral.

It's a good or favorable matchup for Duke if Joey Baker can play; otherwise, it's neutral. Joey is key because Louisville plays an excellent packline defense, and the only remedy in halfcourt offense is likely to shoot well from outside. (Obviously, our defense could force turnovers leading to transition buckets that avoid halfcourt offense; their PGs could be vulnerable to Tre and JGold's pressure).

Finally, it would've been a GREAT matchup for Duke if Wendell could play so Duke could throw both Wendell and Jack at Nwora. As is, Jack has to come up big defensively and/or we receive a surprising source of good defense on Nwora to make up for Wendell's absence.

To summarize Degenerate-ly, lay the points with Duke if Joey plays. Otherwise, pass.

UrinalCake
01-17-2020, 12:03 PM
We got a bit lucky in that comeback too, when Zion produced an oil slick by diving on the floor and then the Louisville guard subsequently slipped on it and the ball when right into Tre’s hands. But man, talk about an intimidating full court press. Louisville’s players were all afraid to dribble the ball, nobody wanted it in their hands.

I expect us to use the press again tomorrow, but hopefully we won’t need to rely on it for a whole half to come back like last year and also in this recent Clemson game. I think mixing it in spurts is more effective. Also, what made that press so devastating last season is that Zion could cover the entire back half of the court by himself, letting the four guards pressure the ball and the outlets. We don’t have anybody who can play that role this year.

Tripping William
01-17-2020, 12:36 PM
To summarize Degenerate-ly, lay the points with Duke if Joey plays. Otherwise, pass.

The "Boot" thread (with a link to Steve Wiseman's article in the N&O today) says JBake is gonna play. So degenerate away . . . . .

devildeac
01-17-2020, 03:30 PM
And, if any folks are inclined (or seated upright:rolleyes:) to join us as thedukelamere kindly and graciously hosts the monthly/January edition of Ymm, Beer's Virtual Pub tomorrow, starting at 1100 east coast time, and imbibe in a (any type of) barrel-aged beer/ale or three, drop by and let us know what you're sipping and how it tasted. I think we'll be open until the last guest is served or he throws all our @#$&^'s out into the gutter.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3840-Ymm-Beer

DavidBenAkiva
01-17-2020, 03:55 PM
According to game notes, Duke will be honoring the 2010 National Champions on Saturday. Coaches Scheyer and Smith are usually there, but expect to see Kyle Singler, Lance Thomas, and Brian Zoubek.

Jaks19
01-17-2020, 03:56 PM
Duke is definitely going to be in a battle. Duke has the pieces but Duke is not a team loaded with stud athletes.

ShaneRyan
01-17-2020, 06:25 PM
Popping in because I just heard today that when Matt Hurt was a HS freshman, Rick Pitino (perhaps not entirely soberly) predicted he'd be the "best white boy college player since Christian Laettner." Let's hope his prediction comes true, and also that Hurt haunts his former team tomorrow. I think there's a good chance he could break out tomorrow, it seems like another game where big interior defenders could muzzle Vern, and I think we're going to have some open shots from outside. We'll definitely need him.

Billy Dat
01-17-2020, 09:32 PM
According to game notes, Duke will be honoring the 2010 National Champions on Saturday. Coaches Scheyer and Smith are usually there, but expect to see Kyle Singler, Lance Thomas, and Brian Zoubek.

What are the odds that Lance comes completely decked out in Uncut Gems....0.01%?

Pghdukie
01-17-2020, 10:32 PM
Duke opens as a 7 point favorite

Saratoga2
01-17-2020, 10:59 PM
Duke opens as a 7 point favorite

Its at home so that is an advantage, but our weakness showed in the last game and a well coached team can exploit that. I think it should be looked at as an even contest in which our guys need to come out ready and give it 40 hard minutes. Defense needs to be stressed, foul shots made and turnovers minimized.

Bob Green
01-18-2020, 11:34 AM
In regard to defending Nwora, ball denial is a possible strategy. Nwora cannot score if he doesn’t have the ball so instead of focusing on guarding him, focus on denying him the ball. Tre Jones and Jordan Goldwire would have to put the clamps on the Cardinals’ primary ball handlers.

An alternate strategy would be to defend Nwora straight up, allow him to get his 30 while preventing the other four players on the court from contributing.

I favor the former approach.

Kedsy
01-18-2020, 11:44 AM
Anyone think Javin might be able to guard Nwora?

thedukelamere
01-18-2020, 12:07 PM
Anyone think Javin might be able to guard Nwora?

Absolutely can. How many minutes he's able to do so before fouling out is the $1M question ;)

thedukelamere
01-18-2020, 12:14 PM
And, if any folks are inclined (or seated upright:rolleyes:) to join us as thedukelamere kindly and graciously hosts the monthly/January edition of Ymm, Beer's Virtual Pub tomorrow, starting at 1100 east coast time, and imbibe in a (any type of) barrel-aged beer/ale or three, drop by and let us know what you're sipping and how it tasted. I think we'll be open until the last guest is served or he throws all our @#$&^'s out into the gutter.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3840-Ymm-Beer

Just to echo devildeac; if you are watching GameDay/Capel and the Gang with a beer in your hand, come join us in the Ymm, Beer thread today. We'll be prepping all day for the Cards like an undergrad in their first tenting season. :cool:

Kedsy
01-18-2020, 12:29 PM
Absolutely can. How many minutes he's able to do so before fouling out is the $1M question ;)

In conference games so far this season, Javin has 4.2 fouls per 40 minutes. Also in conference games, Jack White, who many people in this thread expect to be the primary defender on Nwora, has (wait for it) 4.2 fouls per 40 minutes.

So, my question stands: is there any reason why we shouldn’t use Javin to defend Nwora in this game?

Bob Green
01-18-2020, 01:45 PM
So, my question stands: is there any reason why we shouldn’t use Javin to defend Nwora in this game?

Nope, no reason at all. Utilizing multiple players to defend Nwora could result in Duke wearing him down.

jv001
01-18-2020, 02:03 PM
In conference games so far this season, Javin has 4.2 fouls per 40 minutes. Also in conference games, Jack White, who many people in this thread expect to be the primary defender on Nwora, has (wait for it) 4.2 fouls per 40 minutes.

No reason Javin shouldn't guard Nwora if switched off onto him. Otherwise, I don't look forward to seeing it. Although Javin has not fouled much recently. In the last 7 games he's had 9 fouls. That's good for any player and great for Javin.

GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-18-2020, 02:41 PM

Deleted in interest of positivity.

uh_no
01-18-2020, 04:01 PM
fwiw, joey is warming up

curtis325
01-18-2020, 04:25 PM
fwiw, joey is warming up

Sans boot, I presume.

-jk
01-18-2020, 05:26 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=ccarc) to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

fuse
01-18-2020, 06:13 PM
Clearly, Louisville has a game plan based on Duke not being strong with the ball.

3 held balls???

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 06:14 PM
Clearly, Louisville has a game plan based on Duke not being strong with the ball.

3 held balls???

Yep - a clear weakness. Need to move the ball with passing

ChrisP
01-18-2020, 06:15 PM
UL getting away with LOTS of hand contact all over the court. They are slapping at the ball (despite what know-it-all Jay B says) and the refs are letting them do it. If this continues, it might be a long night.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 06:20 PM
Wow- Duke is about to get blown out. Oh boy.

WakeDevil
01-18-2020, 06:23 PM
I get it. Jones thinks this is a football game, and someone is coming on the court to play defense for him.

SCMatt33
01-18-2020, 06:24 PM
Duke needs to pass the ball. Can’t hold on to it dribbling. Every pass that’s not swinging it around the arc is followed up by dribbling. Need to actually string consecutive passes together to move the defense

Sixthman
01-18-2020, 06:24 PM
Tackle them until the refs call it.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 06:25 PM
I get it. Jones thinks this is a football game, and someone is coming on the court to play defense for him.

Teams have figured something out. They are getting such easy baskets

fuse
01-18-2020, 06:26 PM
Yikes. Not the start I expected.

If you are going to make a statement post game about not bringing your best as an explanation why you lost, I’d expect there to be some competitive fire in the next game.

We look flat, can’t get the ball to Carey, and sure aren’t doing anything defensively.

Good news is lots of game left to adjust and play our best.

ChrisP
01-18-2020, 06:27 PM
Can we gove up MORE layups and/or dunks?

WHOneedsSOX
01-18-2020, 06:27 PM
They have 10 mostly uncontested layups. Carey got away with a goaltend early too. Turnovers and lazy defense won't win.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 06:28 PM

Apparently yes

WHOneedsSOX
01-18-2020, 06:30 PM

And more turnovers.

Tre have the flu or something? Never seen him play so poorly.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 06:31 PM
And more turnovers.
Wheels are off

ChrisP
01-18-2020, 06:33 PM
We don't appear to be mentally prepared for this game. Fortunately, it's just the 1st half

ChrisP
01-18-2020, 06:36 PM
I know UL is playing good D but...jeez we are VERY careless with the ball tonight. Lots of just lame passes.

I hope Joey didn't just get himself tossed

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 06:37 PM
We don't appear to be mentally prepared for this game. Fortunately, it's just the 1st half

They are not prepared for the pack line - it is a hard D for many teams and particularly the first time seeing it.

WakeDevil
I am not sure what you hope to accomplish by pushing someone in the chest in front of the officials.

fuse
So what’s the rule related to if you are on the floor and someone is standing over you, about a right to get up, or having to stay put to not endanger another player?

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 06:39 PM
I am not sure what you hope to accomplish by pushing someone in the chest in front of the officials.

Very dumb-

WHOneedsSOX
01-18-2020, 06:40 PM

He missed though haha the other guy was backing away.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 06:45 PM
Wheels are off

Two wheels back on-

fuse
01-18-2020, 06:45 PM
Here’s hoping we’ve taken Louisville’s best shot, and its now our time.

left_hook_lacey
01-18-2020, 06:47 PM
Thank God for bad refs. This could've gotten ugly had we not been bailed out with some horrible calls. Sometimes, blue blood privilege is real.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Here’s hoping we’ve taken Louisville’s best shot, and its now our time.

Lost 1 wheel again. Two missed free throws and a dunk blocked

fuse
01-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Wow- to my eyes that was a clear foul when Stanley was dunking.

CameronDuke
01-18-2020, 06:51 PM
Duke is 8-12 (66.7%) from the line. Louisville is 0-0 (0.0%).

ChrisP
01-18-2020, 06:53 PM
How is Tre such a bad FT shooter? I know he works really hard on the defensive end but..jeez those last two were brick city!

WHOneedsSOX
01-18-2020, 06:54 PM
Jow is Tre such a bad FT shooter? I know he works really hard on the defensive end but..jeez those last two were brick city!

I know we're only halfway through the season and he's a really good player but I don't think his draft stock has moved at all.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 07:00 PM
Jow is Tre such a bad FT shooter? I know he works really hard on the defensive end but..jeez those last two were brick city!

Tre has a lot of work to do to be a NBA level shooter. He is also struggling with Johnson - an NBA quality guard

fuse
01-18-2020, 07:01 PM
Had hoped we’d be within 5 at half.

C’mon Duke, let’s go!

ChrisP
WTH was that defensive at end of half? Giving up a wide open 3???

WakeDevil
A proper way to end the half.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 07:02 PM
Had hoped we’d be within 5 at half.

C’mon Duke, let’s go!

That 3 at the end was not good. Duke has cleaned up the turnovers but will have to really play well to pull this out.

WHOneedsSOX
01-18-2020, 07:03 PM
WTH was that defensive at end of half? Giving up a wide open 3???

Get the ball out of the hands of the guy who killed them all half and let a guy who has 3 made 3s all season shoot. Someone should've rotated over but better than another uncontested layup I guess.

SCMatt33
01-18-2020, 07:03 PM
Man, never thought I’d be frustrated to be down 10 at the half after that start, but Duke really had a good chance to be just about even with Nwora out. Tre is picking a bad night to have an off night, especially defensively. He’s not the only one, but way too many breakdowns off the dribble letting them get into the paint for layups, fouls or kick out 3’s, especially in the last 5 minutes.

CameronDuke
01-18-2020, 07:04 PM
Duke’s defense got torched at Clemson and is getting torched tonight.

Duke gave up 30-53 (56.6%) shooting overall at Clemson including 8-19 (42.1%) from 3.

Duke is giving up 17-29 (58.6%) shooting overall to Louisville tonight including 4-4 (100.0%) from 3.

Down 42-32 at the half. Three consecutive halves of pretty poor defense. Maybe Duke can press some in the 2nd half with Tre and Goldwire and generate some turnovers to get back into this one.

jipops
01-18-2020, 07:05 PM
UL has rendered Tre completely ineffective. This is exactly the type of game where we could use Wendell. The Cardinals just look like the better team. The ACC race may be decided tonight.

Sixthman
01-18-2020, 07:08 PM
We lack the athleticism to play the kind of physical defense the officials allowed. We were repeatedly mugged with no call but failed to create the opportunity to return the favor. After the double foul, the refs started calling it closer, which had the effect of letting Louisville have their cake and eat it too. If the refs will continue this standard in the second half — which I doubt given this particular crew — it will help Duke.

jipops
01-18-2020, 07:09 PM
Ever since some writers started saying Duke might actually be the clear #1 this year, we have completely stunk it up. Goes to show nobody knows anything.

ShaneRyan
I guess the headline is we've finally found someone Tre Jones can't guard?

dukelifer
UL has rendered Tre completely ineffective. This is exactly the type of game where we could use Wendell. The Cardinals just look like the better team. The ACC race may be decided tonight.

Perhaps but UL is a tough experienced team and this Johnson kid is very good. He has been the difference and Tre cannot handle him so far.

Bull City Proud
01-18-2020, 07:10 PM
We lack the athleticism to play the kind of physical defense the officials allowed. We were repeatedly mugged with no call but failed to create the opportunity to return the favor. After the double foul, the refs started calling it closer, which had the effect of letting Louisville have their cake and eat it too. If the refs will continue this standard in the second half — which I doubt given this particular crew — it will help Duke.

These refs are awful. Jamie Luckie the worst ref in the NCAA , it’s not even close .

arnie
01-18-2020, 07:11 PM
I think Carey is getting exposed a bit. Against strong defenders tonite and against Clemson, he’s not been strong and turnover prone. And Javin sill struggling with TOs.

Stanley is saving our butts. Not sure we can pull this one out.

Sixthman
01-18-2020, 07:12 PM
I suppose the best hope would be to hit some threes thereby opening yo some space in the lane for Carey and drivers.

Sixthman
01-18-2020, 07:13 PM
These refs are awful. Jamie Luckie the worst ref in the NCAA , it’s not even close .

Could not agree more about Luckie. He missed hard fouls but called touch and phantom fouls.

Bull City Proud
01-18-2020, 07:15 PM
Could not agree more about Luckie. He missed hard fouls but called touch and phantom fouls.

Exactly

Kjeffrey
01-18-2020, 07:16 PM
I think Carey is getting exposed a bit. Against strong defenders tonite and against Clemson, he’s not been strong and turnover prone. And Javin sill struggling with TOs.

If I’m recalling correctly he struggled against GA Tech also. They have a big, strong guy inside too.

jv001
01-18-2020, 07:16 PM
Stanley and Hurt showed up to play tonight but looks like everyone else is on vacation. I don't know if Tre has worn down but he' not moving his feet on defense and he had two possessions he didn't close out on a 3 point shooter. Hope we try to deny Johnson the ball in the 2nd half. At the beginning of the game, it looked like an NBA team(Cards) against a pee wee team(Duke). Not strong with the ball. Let's get back to 5 at the 16 minute mark and go from there.

GoDuke!

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 07:17 PM

He is learning on the job. I think teams are figuring Duke out with more game tape. They will need to make some adjustments.

CameronDuke
01-18-2020, 07:18 PM
Duke is down but not out. Long way to go. Take it a possession at a time. Take care of the ball, generate some turnovers and protect the rim.

Let’s Go Duke!

CameronDuke
01-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Just like that, Duke has cut 60% of the way into Louisville’s halftime lead before the under 16. Louisville will play the rest of the game with 2 timeouts.

4 point game!

Boy, is Cassius Stanley special or what?

BlueDevil16
01-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Worried about Vernons foul trouble

ChrisP
01-18-2020, 07:24 PM
It seems like every time we REALLY need a basket. VCarey decides to float outside and take a long jumper (and rarely makes these shots). I know he's a pretty good 3pt shooter but that was NOT the shot I want him taking in that situation where a basket could have cut the lead to 2!

Bull City Proud
01-18-2020, 07:25 PM
Worried about Vernons foul trouble

And him missing easy shots plus free throws
Play some zone

CameronDuke
01-18-2020, 07:28 PM
Louisville is 5-5 from 3. They eventually have to start missing some, right?

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 07:29 PM
Just like that, Duke has cut 60% of the way into Louisville’s halftime lead before the under 16. Louisville will play the rest of the game with 2 timeouts.

4 point game!

Boy, is Cassius Stanley special or what?

Spoke too soon- but Cassius is really good

fuse
01-18-2020, 07:29 PM
Let’s Go Duke!!!! 🔵😈

DU82
01-18-2020, 07:31 PM
And him missing easy shots plus free throws
Play some zone

He’s 1-3 from the field, and 5-6 FT (15:36 to). And he’s gett8ng pounded inside.

Phredd3
01-18-2020, 07:35 PM
We just cannot seem to close this gap. We had a horrible first ten minutes, and have played roughly even since then. And the fouls are starting to mount. There's a lot of game left, but we have to do better.

jipops
01-18-2020, 07:36 PM
4th on Carey. Welp...

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 07:36 PM
We just cannot seem to close this gap. We had a horrible first ten minutes, and have played roughly even since then. And the fouls are starting to mount. There's a lot of game left, but we have to do better.

Carey with 4

WHOneedsSOX
01-18-2020, 07:39 PM
Just can't seem to hit the big shot and then they get a couple easy ones.

jipops
01-18-2020, 07:40 PM
Not being able to shoot kinda hurts.

Sixthman
Just to be clear: Carey’s 4th was not a foul.

dukelifer
Just can't seem to hit the big shot and then they get a couple easy ones.

They are playing hard but no one other than Stanley playing well tonight

Phredd3
01-18-2020, 07:41 PM
Just painful. They don't miss by much, but if the shots don't go in, they don't go in.

CameronDuke
Not looking good. Louisville is 5-7 from 3 and Duke is 4-20.

Down 9 at the under 12. Just seems like Duke can’t get into any rhythm offensively. There have been glimpses of life but not sustained for enough possessions strung together to get closer than 4.

Long way to go, though.

ChrisP
If, by some miracle we come back to win this, it'll be a bigger deal than last year's comeback at UL. We simply cannot get closer than like 7

dukelifer

Funny how that works

4Gen
Lville just better. Hopefully that will change.

SCMatt33
Need to put the ball in the hoop. Just can’t get back into a game where you spotted them a 15 point lead shooting 4/20 from 3 while taking half your shots from out there.

Kjeffrey
01-18-2020, 07:42 PM
If, by some miracle we come back to win this, it'll be a bigger deal than last year's comeback at UL. We simply cannot get closer than like 7

We got it to 4 and then played bad defense leading to a UL 3

Ultrarunner
01-18-2020, 07:42 PM
Just to be clear: Carey’s 4th was not a foul.

Baker's third wasn't a foul either.

jipops
01-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Bench is currently 1-12. Starters not much better.

Also, this game seems to be a clear sign that we won’t see AOC very much anymore this season.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 07:45 PM
Bench is currently 1-12. Starters not much better.

Also, this game seems to be a clear sign that we won’t see AOC very much anymore this season.

Rough night for sure

CameronDuke
01-18-2020, 07:46 PM
Duke is 4-21 from 3.

How did that last shot for Hurt not go in?

jipops
01-18-2020, 07:48 PM
Give the boys credit, they can’t shoot at all...but they are fighting like crazy.

WHOneedsSOX
01-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Back down to 3. Let's see if they can keep it up this time.

Phredd3
What a pass to Stanley for the jam!!!

ChrisP
Tgfcs!

SCMatt33
Keep inching back in. Got to keep going to get over the top

arnie
01-18-2020, 07:50 PM
And I think Stanley can finish😏

CameronDuke
01-18-2020, 07:50 PM
3 point game!

Cassius Stanley is coming into his own. The kid is an absolutely phenomenal athlete and basketball player.

AtlBluRew
01-18-2020, 07:51 PM
They are playing hard but no one other than Stanley playing well tonight

I beg to differ. I like Jack White’s game tonight as well.

CameronDuke
01-18-2020, 07:52 PM
Louisville will play the last 9 minutes of the game with 1 timeout left.

Phredd3
01-18-2020, 07:53 PM
Tie game!! Let's go, Duke!!

Phredd3
01-18-2020, 07:56 PM
How the heck was that not a foul on Tre's layup attempt?!?!?

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 07:56 PM
Tie game!! Let's go, Duke!!

Again- let them take a two possession lead in 30 sec

BlueDevil16
01-18-2020, 07:57 PM
Blew it. Tre should have been at the line though.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 07:58 PM
I beg to differ. I like Jack White’s game tonight as well.

Jack is bounding well and playing hard but Duke needs points. Hurt has picked it up of late

ShaneRyan
I hope this isn't the case, but I'm starting to be afraid that we're going to look back at those three no-calls as the turning point in this game, right when we had them staggering.

Devilwin
Thank God for Stanley and Hurt. Without them we'd be down 25 points.

AtlBluRew
01-18-2020, 07:59 PM
Jack is bounding well and playing hard but Duke needs points. Hurt has picked it up of late

I do wish he’d find his shot.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 08:00 PM
Thank God for Stanley and Hurt. Without them we'd be down 25 points.

Well if Johnson wasn’t playing - Duke would be winning by a lot

Phredd3
01-18-2020, 08:04 PM
Our defense has had a lot of issues tonight.

WHOneedsSOX
01-18-2020, 08:05 PM
Just can't get over the hump.

jipops
01-18-2020, 08:05 PM
Thought we had this with it tied, but nope...

ChrisP
01-18-2020, 08:06 PM
We simply cannot get enough stops to win this. Well that and horrid 3pt shooting (and VC bricking 'em from the line again)

dukelifer

Another poor end of half performance -

fuse
Gut check time. Go get this one, Devils!

CameronDuke
Not looking good again. Duke fought back to tie it but it’s 71-65 Louisville at the under 4.

arnie
01-18-2020, 08:07 PM
I do wish he’d find his shot.

We’ve had a lot of open 3s; just not falling. May see Joey in the last couple of minutes , but he’s not looked sharp either.

sbroc012
one of those games where you do everything to get it even then you let up 6 straight to have to start again. Doesn't help when you get it even then get fouled the next two possessions but it doesn't get called.

ShaneRyan
Love Vern, but when you need free throws under pressure, you really don't want him on the line. Absolutely brutal misses.

Devilwin
01-18-2020, 08:08 PM
Crunch time and we're getting sloppy again..Not good. Need to tighten up the defense and make a three or two..

jipops

In the 1st half it did. Second half has been a different story. Unfortunately we just don’t have any shooters.

WHOneedsSOX
We’ve had a lot of open 3s; just not falling. May see Joey in the last couple of minutes , but he’s not looked sharp either.

Baker and Hurt are too big of liabilities on defense. They have to score to make themselves useful on thc court, which Hurt has been doing.

SavDukeGrad
Love Vern, but when you need free throws under pressure, you really don't want him on the line. Absolutely brutal misses.

It seems his free throw shooting is much better before he gets tired. But at the end of the game, totally agree.

WHOneedsSOX
01-18-2020, 08:10 PM
Wow nice finish by Goldwire. Didn't think he could do that.

Phredd3
01-18-2020, 08:12 PM
I'm not typically one to complain about officiating, but it sure seems like there have been a lot of touch fouls called against Duke and not the other way in this game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-18-2020, 08:15 PM
They keep trying to give us chances, but we don't seem interested in closing the deal.

dukelifer
01-18-2020, 08:16 PM
They keep trying to give us chances, but we don't seem interested in closing the deal.

Can’t win if you can’t score

jipops
01-18-2020, 08:16 PM
Pretty pathetic play calling right there. If there was even a play called.

sbroc012
01-18-2020, 08:17 PM
Are our players just that gravitationally challenged that everytime they go to the hoop they end up on their bum under the hoop?

ChrisP
Horrible offense there. Love Tre but that is not his shot. Why no Stanley or Hurt there???

BlueDevil16
Two bad plays by Tre there

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Are our players just that gravitationally challenged that everytime they go to the hoop they end up on their bum under the hoop?

That's how Jones plays. He just lays out on every drive. Not gonna criticize that tonight.

Devilwin
01-18-2020, 08:18 PM
Two straight bad shots..Make that three..

sbroc012
That's how Jones plays. He just lays out on every drive. Not gonna criticize that tonight.

I was being slightly sarcastic. Seems like a few fouls have been missed down there.

fuse
Unfortunate choice by Stanley after the lucky steal by White.

jipops
01-18-2020, 08:19 PM
Scoreless the last 3 minutes of this game.

ChrisP
I don't blame Stanley for taking that shot - wish he made it though :(

WakeDevil
An airball. Oh happy day.

Sixthman
Team full of guys who don’t want to be the go to guy, Stanley the exception.

WHOneedsSOX
I don't blame Stanley for taking that shot - wish he made it though :(

Hate the step back 3s though. Tre had 1 and Stanley had 2. 2 were airballs and the 3rd barely knocked the rim.

fuse
01-18-2020, 08:20 PM
Ugly start, ugly end.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
What a horrible closing sequence

dukelifer
Scoreless the last 3 minutes of this game.

Wow- what a poor ending.