PDA

View Full Version : MBB 2020 Coaching Carousel

wsb3
01-14-2020, 08:47 AM
UNCW fires coach McGrath (https://www.wect.com/2020/01/13/uncw-head-mens-basketball-coach-relieved-his-duties/)

If this is to early. Mods feel free to do what you think best.

This is my hometown & my wife graduated from UNCW. My first thoughts are don't hire another coach with UNC on their resume. I think they are still paying for Buzz Peterson. I think most people here are resigned to occasionally catching a rising star like Kevin Keatts & Brad Brownell but you will not be able to hold on to them.. Also Jerry Wainright was here for 8 years and they won what I believe is their only NCAA tournament game in 2002.

I read some of the fan comments on Facebook and some suggested they should have done more to keep KK. I think State quadrupled his salary so that is unrealistic.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-14-2020, 09:35 AM
UNCW fires coach McGrath (https://www.wect.com/2020/01/13/uncw-head-mens-basketball-coach-relieved-his-duties/)

If this is to early. Mods feel free to do what you think best.

This is my hometown & my wife graduated from UNCW. My first thoughts are don't hire another coach with UNC on their resume. I think they are still paying for Buzz Peterson. I think most people here are resigned to occasionally catching a rising star like Kevin Keatts & Brad Brownell but you will not be able to hold on to them.. Also Jerry Wainright was here for 8 years and they won what I believe is their only NCAA tournament game in 2002.

I read some of the fan comments on Facebook and some suggested they should have done more to keep KK. I think State quadrupled his salary so that is unrealistic.

Roy could stay in the UNC system and get himself a job with less pressure...

BD80
01-14-2020, 10:17 AM

I'd say roy's players could go with him, but I'm not sure he thinks they're good enough for the Colonial conference ...

devildeac
01-14-2020, 10:25 AM
I'd say roy's players could go with him, but I'm not sure he thinks they're good enough for the Colonial conference ...

Not a very long bus ride from chappaheeya to Wilmington...

Hingeknocker
01-14-2020, 10:26 AM

http://barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=CAA

With UNC coming in at #100 in T-Rank, they'd have a comfortable but not insurmountable lead at the top of the Colonial. I'd give them decent odds to win the conference and secure that Auto-bid in the 13-14 range, but pesky away games at College of Charleston and William & Mary would await. Who knows - maybe William & Mary would avenge the loss of Justin Pierce as a grad transfer to UNC, and stun the Heels in the CAA tournament to earn their first ever trip to the Dance!

If only promotion/relegation were a thing in college basketball, and we could actually see this scenario play out. Honestly, it would be nice for Carolina to get to compete against some teams at their own level this year. It's unfair for them to have to field a P5 team every year, you know.

BD80
01-14-2020, 10:30 AM
... Honestly, it would be nice for Carolina to get to compete against some teams at their own level this year. ...

Is there a North Carolina penal league?

Oh, sorry. I read that as unc competing against teams at their own level OF honesty ...

Indoor66
01-14-2020, 10:51 AM

Bus driver?

wsb3
01-14-2020, 10:56 AM

I was thinking the same thing. He loves the area. He has a home on the south end of Wrightsville Beach or he did when I retired with the Town almost nine years ago.

This is the first coach fired this season, right? I could not find or think of another.

BD80
01-14-2020, 11:00 AM

Bus driver?

That would be catastrophic for the student population: ol' roy providing the same "benefits" to all students as his players.

wsb3
01-22-2020, 09:33 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/mvc/2020/01/21/walter-mccarty-fired-evansville-basketball-coach/4536601002/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-22-2020, 09:41 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/mvc/2020/01/21/walter-mccarty-fired-evansville-basketball-coach/4536601002/

McCarty, McGrath.... who's next? I'm sensing a pattern.

DU82
01-22-2020, 10:28 AM
McCarty, McGrath... who's next? I'm sensing a pattern.

McWilliams?

CrazyNotCrazie
01-22-2020, 03:05 PM
McCarty, McGrath... who's next? I'm sensing a pattern.

Mayor McCheese? 10137

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-22-2020, 03:49 PM
Mayor McCheese? 10137

Nah he's in Chapel Hill as long as he wants to be there.

sagegrouse
02-17-2020, 09:57 AM
ESPN article out of Cleveland (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28720022/sources-cavaliers-coach-john-beilein-discussed-possibility-stepping-down) that John Beilein, long-time Michigan coach who just moved up the NBA, may not make it through a full season. Beilein, in addition to posting a 14-40 record, has struggled to adapt to the NBA game or even get along with Cav players.

Not a happy season in the Beilein family as his son got canned at Niagara for "personal issues."

Back to college for John Beilein? OTOH, with a five-year contract with Cleveland, he certainly has some options.

JasonEvans
02-17-2020, 10:48 AM
ESPN article out of Cleveland (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28720022/sources-cavaliers-coach-john-beilein-discussed-possibility-stepping-down) that John Beilein, long-time Michigan coach who just moved up the NBA, may not make it through a full season. Beilein, in addition to posting a 14-40 record, has struggled to adapt to the NBA game or even get along with Cav players.

Not a happy season in the Beilein family as his son got canned at Niagara for "personal issues."

Back to college for John Beilein? OTOH, with a five-year contract with Cleveland, he certainly has some options.

I could see Texas being a destination for him perhaps. Goodness knows Shaka is doing a poor job there.

That said, Beilein's style is less than flashy (though one cannot argue with the results) and it may be that Texas will want someone to get the fans a bit more excited.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-17-2020, 11:04 AM
I could see Texas being a destination for him perhaps. Goodness knows Shaka is doing a poor job there.

That said, Beilein's style is less than flashy (though one cannot argue with the results) and it may be that Texas will want someone to get the fans a bit more excited.

Beilein was a poor fit for the pros...this is not surprising. I think Shaka is a good coach, but a poor fit for Texas. Coaches and programs need to fit...neither of these do IMO.

Acymetric
02-17-2020, 12:19 PM

This is the least surprising thing ever. Did anyone not expect basically exactly this as soon as he announced?

luburch
02-17-2020, 01:34 PM
This is the least surprising thing ever. Did anyone not expect basically exactly this as soon as he announced?

I try hard to not predict how coaching hires will shake out anymore. Been burned too many times.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-17-2020, 01:41 PM

"...you mean there's gambling at Rick's Cafe?....."

I try hard to not predict how coaching hires will shake out anymore. Been burned too many times.

This one was easy.

MCFinARL
02-17-2020, 01:48 PM
Not a very long bus ride from chappaheeya to Wilmington...

No, but the ride feels longer when you are under the bus.

hallcity
02-17-2020, 02:10 PM

Either Shaka or Beilein to WFU. They gotta get Danny Manning out of that job.

SCMatt33
02-17-2020, 02:30 PM

If they weren’t willing to pay for Manning’s buyout last year, I doubt they’d pay whatever it is this year plus pay the salary requirements for an experienced new HC.

OldPhiKap
02-17-2020, 02:36 PM
When Dave Odom left Wake to go to South Carolina, folks asked why he would make that move. His answer: "It's hard being everyone's second-favorite team in North Carolina."

Wake needs to cut its losses when it can with Manning. But not sure they would get a top line coach without seriously outbidding better opportunities. (And I say that with respect for a school I admire).

HereBeforeCoachK
02-17-2020, 02:50 PM
When Dave Odom left Wake to go to South Carolina, folks asked why he would make that move. His answer: "It's hard being everyone's second-favorite team in North Carolina."

Wake needs to cut its losses when it can with Manning. But not sure they would get a top line coach without seriously outbidding better opportunities. (And I say that with respect for a school I admire).

As I recall, Odom said "it's hard not being the "university of"'

arnie
02-17-2020, 03:28 PM

Nah, they beat the Cheats once this year. If they beat them in Chapel Hell in a couple of weeks, he gets a lifetime contract.

BD80
02-17-2020, 04:25 PM

Wow! I wonder how ol' roy feels?!?

If Wake is #2, that puts unc at …

#1 Duke
#2 Wake
#3 Wolfies
#4 UNCC 49ers
#5 UNCG Spartans
#6 UNCA Bulldogs
#7 Fayetteville St Broncos
#8 unc ch

HereBeforeCoachK
02-17-2020, 04:33 PM
Wow! I wonder how ol' roy feels?!?

If Wake is #2, that puts unc at …

#1 Duke
#2 Wake
#3 Wolfies
#4 UNCC 49ers
#5 UNCG Spartans
#6 UNCA Bulldogs
#7 Fayetteville St Broncos
#8 unc ch

You forgot A&T.....made a movie about them (Drumline's Atlanta A&T was pretty clearly NC A&T).

sagegrouse
02-17-2020, 04:57 PM
As I recall, Odom said "it's hard not being the "university of"'

He also said, in a more reflective moment, after retiring from South Carolina, "A basketball coach needs to move about every seven years." Is this how long Manning has been at Wake?

AGDukesky
02-17-2020, 06:18 PM
Nah, they beat the Cheats once this year. If they beat them in Chapel Hell in a couple of weeks, he gets a lifetime contract.

I know you are joking, but no one is saving his job by beating a UNC team that lost at home to Clemson...

SCMatt33
02-17-2020, 07:01 PM
I know you are joking, but no one is saving his job by beating a UNC team that lost at home to Clemson...

This includes the Clemson coach! Brad Brownell might pull of the incredible feat of breaking the curse in chapel hill, beating two top 5 teams, and still managing to get fired.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-17-2020, 07:06 PM
You forgot A&T...made a movie about them (Drumline's Atlanta A&T was pretty clearly NC A&T).
And UNCW. And ECU. And App State. And Elon. And Gardner Webb. And Campbell. And, and, and... we could go for hours before the cheats make the list.

wsb3
02-17-2020, 07:54 PM
This includes the Clemson coach! Brad Brownell might pull of the incredible feat of breaking the curse in chapel hill, beating two top 5 teams, and still managing to get fired.

Is Brad's seat considered 🔥?

SavDukeGrad
02-17-2020, 08:01 PM
Is Brad's seat considered 🔥?

I think his seat has been pretty warm for a few years now. Although I have to think that if he finishes this year strong, and gets some COY votes, his seat would have to cool off, considering who he has beaten.

devildeac
02-17-2020, 10:02 PM
And UNCW. And ECU. And App State. And Elon. And Gardner Webb. And Campbell. And, and, and... we could go for hours before the cheats make the list.

Don't forget your local high schools and middle schools. ;)

JasonEvans
02-18-2020, 08:00 AM
Don't forget your local high schools and middle schools. ;)

Oh, I don't think a middle school team could beat the Heels.

TruBlu
02-18-2020, 09:31 AM

Well, MAYBE not on the basketball court. But for SAT scores, go with the middle school teams. In a blowout.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2020, 10:30 AM

UNC could build a big lead before the fourth quarter, I'll give you that.

BD80
02-18-2020, 11:36 AM

In popularity? Probably.

In Spelling, Math, English Composition, Swahili, or African American Studies? Almost certainly.

devildeac
02-18-2020, 12:25 PM

Oh, I totally agree. I meant rooting interests/favorite teams, not who'd win. I shoulda been more clear, I guess. :o

npdevil27
02-18-2020, 08:12 PM
Hearing rumblings of Beilein to an ACC school... but not the one you think. BC.

Nrrrrvous
02-18-2020, 08:27 PM
Hearing rumblings of Beilein to an ACC school... but not the one you think. BC.

Ooh. That's intriguing.

-jk
02-18-2020, 08:29 PM
Beilein to unc?

-jk

npdevil27
02-18-2020, 08:48 PM
Ooh. That's intriguing.

Texas still makes so much more sense

OldPhiKap
02-18-2020, 08:49 PM
Beilein to unc?

-jk

Are you changing your username to “-j/k”?

Nrrrrvous
02-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Texas still makes so much more sense

Yeah, I know. That's why thinking about him going to BC is so much more interesting. I mean, maybe it comes down to him being a fan of Mike's Cannoli?

npdevil27
02-18-2020, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I know. That's why thinking about him going to BC is so much more interesting. I mean, maybe it comes down to him being a fan of Mike's Cannoli?

Modern Pastry FTW. Tourists go to Mike’s (Pastry, not Cannoli).

Nrrrrvous
02-18-2020, 09:30 PM
Modern Pastry FTW. Tourists go to Mike’s (Pastry, not Cannoli).

I was referring to the actual Cannoli themselves but I can see how you would be confused. My only trips to Boston so far have been as a tourist, which would explain. Must try this "Modern" Pastry next time I'm up.

npdevil27
02-18-2020, 09:33 PM
I was referring to the actual Cannoli themselves but I can see how you would be confused. My only trips to Boston so far have been as a tourist, which would explain. Must try this "Modern" Pastry next time I'm up.

Your capitalization of Cannoli threw me off. Modern is right across the street. I was there Friday night. Get the pasticiotti. You’ll thank me later.

devildeac
02-18-2020, 09:42 PM
Your capitalization of Cannoli threw me off. Modern is right across the street. I was there Friday night. Get the pasticiotti. You’ll thank me later.

Never been to Modern. The few times we've been to Bah-ston, it was Mike's every time, about 2 blocks from the best eggplant parm I've ever had.

Next thing ya know, we'll be talking about Ymm, Beer...

:o

OldPhiKap
02-19-2020, 07:32 AM
“Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.”

One of my favorite movie lines ever.

CamrnCrz1974
02-19-2020, 08:18 AM
What are the possible destinations for John Beilein in college basketball?
ESPN
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28722397/what-possible-destinations-john-beilein-college-basketball

CrazyNotCrazie
02-19-2020, 08:26 AM
What are the possible destinations for John Beilein in college basketball?
ESPN
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28722397/what-possible-destinations-john-beilein-college-basketball

Article is behind a firewall.

If I'm John Beilein, Texas would be of no interest to me. He is 67 years old, has made tons of money, has no roots (or likely recruiting contacts) anywhere near Texas, and his son might be having some challenges that could use his attention (I don't know if there ever was an explanation of why he left Niagara so suddenly). Texas is a very high stress job - they have a ton of resources, but also very high expectations. Then again, this is the same guy who gave up a great situation at Michigan to take a high risk position with the Cavs, so who knows what he is thinking.

TKG
02-19-2020, 09:06 AM
Imagine Beilein to Wake.... that could shake things up in North Carolina......

sagegrouse
02-19-2020, 09:10 AM
Article is behind a firewall.

If I'm John Beilein, Texas would be of no interest to me. He is 67 years old, has made tons of money, has no roots (or likely recruiting contacts) anywhere near Texas, and his son might be having some challenges that could use his attention (I don't know if there ever was an explanation of why he left Niagara so suddenly). Texas is a very high stress job - they have a ton of resources, but also very high expectations. Then again, this is the same guy who gave up a great situation at Michigan to take a high risk position with the Cavs, so who knows what he is thinking.

Hints only-- Shaka gone, Christian era ends, Coach wearing out his welcome with the Demons.

OldPhiKap
02-19-2020, 09:15 AM
Imagine Beilein to Wake... that could shake things up in North Carolina...

It would certainly be a bold statement by Wake. I would love it if this happens.

budwom
02-19-2020, 09:16 AM
BC are hoop morons, having fired the successful (I witnessed a number of epic BC-Duke battles) Al Skinner. Nonsensical move, they've never been the same since.

-jk
02-19-2020, 09:49 AM
BC are hoop morons, having fired the successful (I witnessed a number of epic BC-Duke battles) Al Skinner. Nonsensical move, they've never been the same since.

I don't miss Skinner - or more accurately the bang-em-up Big East style he embraced. Seth, too.

-jk

npdevil27
02-19-2020, 10:12 AM
I don't miss Skinner - or more accurately the bang-em-up Big East style he embraced. Seth, too.

-jk
Was BC a really bang em up type team? I don't remember them that way. I do remember them being able to execute their offense "inside a phone both".

The problem with Skinner was that he was lazy. He was content being pretty good. BC thought they could do better. They turned out to be wrong.

Acymetric
02-19-2020, 10:22 AM

-jk

Was BC a really bang em up type team? I don't remember them that way. I do remember them being able to execute their offense "inside a phone both".

The problem with Skinner was that he was lazy. He was content being pretty good. BC thought they could do better. They turned out to be wrong.

My recollection of those Skinner teams matches jk's. Sort of Greenberg-VT lite.

scottdude8
02-19-2020, 10:31 AM
As a Michigan fan I'm sad to see Beilein crash and burn. I can't think of a single Michigan fan who was rooting against Beilein's success in the NBA... he's by all accounts not only a great coach, but a great human being. It sounded like he felt he had to give himself one last challenge in his coaching career, so kudos to him for taking that leap, even if it obviously didn't work out (and, in hindsight, I think Beilein would've been a bit more selective in picking a better situation to go to).

Now when it comes to where he might go next, there are tons of options as you all have speculated. Some on the Michigan beat have been speculating he could go to Indiana for months now. Personally (and this is pure speculation) I doubt he goes to a B1G school... I have to imagine it would be tough for him to have to go against Michigan twice a year, especially just a year removed from leaving. For me the most obvious scenario is Texas, not only given Shaka's struggles, but because A) it's a similar school to Michigan in that it's a football school with a good, not great, basketball history waiting to be rekindled, and B) his former assistant Luke Yaklich, who was his "defensive coordinator" during his final years at Michigan and was hugely responsible for the run to the NC game behind a stifling defense, is already there at Texas. He could go to Austin, retain Yaklich for some continuity, and try to do there what he did at Michigan as his last hurrah.

That said, there is also speculation that, given the personal issues surrounding Beilein's son that led him to abruptly resign from the head coaching position at Niagara (giving Greg Paulus the job, ironically), he might want to take a less glamorous job with less pressure, and have his son on the staff to build him back up. That's where opportunities like Wake have come up. There are also some similarities between the Wake position and Michigan, namely being a "secondary" program in a basketball-crazy state, which could present a good fit. Wake is likely not going to out recruit the big three in NC, but Beilein's system doesn't require the 4/5* recruits.

So if I were a betting man, I'd give the best odds to Texas, followed by Wake.

Acymetric
02-19-2020, 10:39 AM
As a Michigan fan I'm sad to see Beilein crash and burn. I can't think of a single Michigan fan who was rooting against Beilein's success in the NBA... he's by all accounts not only a great coach, but a great human being. It sounded like he felt he had to give himself one last challenge in his coaching career, so kudos to him for taking that leap, even if it obviously didn't work out (and, in hindsight, I think Beilein would've been a bit more selective in picking a better situation to go to).

Now when it comes to where he might go next, there are tons of options as you all have speculated. Some on the Michigan beat have been speculating he could go to Indiana for months now. Personally (and this is pure speculation) I doubt he goes to a B1G school... I have to imagine it would be tough for him to have to go against Michigan twice a year, especially just a year removed from leaving. For me the most obvious scenario is Texas, not only given Shaka's struggles, but because A) it's a similar school to Michigan in that it's a football school with a good, not great, basketball history waiting to be rekindled, and B) his former assistant Luke Yaklich, who was his "defensive coordinator" during his final years at Michigan and was hugely responsible for the run to the NC game behind a stifling defense, is already there at Texas. He could go to Austin, retain Yaklich for some continuity, and try to do there what he did at Michigan as his last hurrah.

That said, there is also speculation that, given the personal issues surrounding Beilein's son that led him to abruptly resign from the head coaching position at Niagara (giving Greg Paulus the job, ironically), he might want to take a less glamorous job with less pressure, and have his son on the staff to build him back up. That's where opportunities like Wake have come up. There are also some similarities between the Wake position and Michigan, namely being a "secondary" program in a basketball-crazy state, which could present a good fit. Wake is likely not going to out recruit the big three in NC, but Beilein's system doesn't require the 4/5* recruits.

Beilein would be a great hire for Wake if they're willing to pony up the cash for him. As someone who likes seeing 3 out of the 4 North Carolina ACC schools do well I would be all in favor of this.

devildeac
02-19-2020, 10:57 AM

-jk

I strongly agree with this. Maybe even beyond "bang-em-up."

sagegrouse
02-19-2020, 11:00 AM

What's weird about his departure is the puny payoff. Didn't he have a five-year contract at $4 million per year with the final year a club option? Well, ESPN says he will get some but not all of the remainder of this year's contract payment. Nothing for the other guaranteed years. Unless there are conditions that will likely kick in -- such as an offset or complete cancellation if he takes another coaching job -- I don't understand his generosity.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2020, 11:04 AM
Beilein would be a great hire for Wake if they're willing to pony up the cash for him. As someone who likes seeing 3 out of the 4 North Carolina ACC schools do well I would be all in favor of this.

Do folks here really think Beilein would see Wake preferable to Texas? Hard for me to imagine. Would you want to go toe to toe with the ACC as the third or fourth most attractive spot for recruits in your state?

I'm not saying one way or the other, I just don't see the obvious preference for WFU when they've underperformed for so long.

Acymetric
02-19-2020, 11:14 AM
Do folks here really think Beilein would see Wake preferable to Texas? Hard for me to imagine. Would you want to go toe to toe with the ACC as the third or fourth most attractive spot for recruits in your state?

I'm not saying one way or the other, I just don't see the obvious preference for WFU when they've underperformed for so long.

I said it would be great for Wake, not great for Beilein (and mentioned that they would have to pony up the cash to make it happen).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2020, 11:19 AM
I said it would be great for Wake, not great for Beilein (and mentioned that they would have to pony up the cash to make it happen).

I agree with that point. I just don't see the draw. Besides money, of course.

AGDukesky
02-19-2020, 11:22 AM
Beilein is a great coach but not a great fit for Texas. I never thought his recruiting was his strong point but benefitted from Michigan’s history, which is much more impressive than Texas. Now with Texas Tech, Baylor, and Houston looking like regular Top 25 teams, his regional competition is greater. Add in his slow offensive style and I just don’t think he is the guy you pick after Shaka- especially when you add his age to the equation. Wake seems like a better fit given the lack of pressure and expectations...

Acymetric
02-19-2020, 11:23 AM
I agree with that point. I just don't see the draw. Besides money, of course.

I don't exactly see it either, but playing devils advocate:

Go toe to toe with some of the college all time greats before they retire (if he wanted the NBA challenge, maybe he wants that challenge)
Chance to usurp some of the traditional ACC powers as their coaches retire
Wake is probably more patient than Texas for rebuilding
Living in North Carolina is better than Texas in every measurable way and most non-measurable ways (;))

flyingdutchdevil
02-19-2020, 11:31 AM
What's weird about his departure is the puny payoff. Didn't he have a five-year contract at $4 million per year with the final year a club option? Well, ESPN says he will get some but not all of the remainder of this year's contract payment. Nothing for the other guaranteed years. Unless there are conditions that will likely kick in -- such as an offset or complete cancellation if he takes another coaching job -- I don't understand his generosity.

If Beilein is really looking to get back to the college game, the timing makes sense. Coaches will start getting fired en masse starting in roughly a month. Those conversations between the AD and his supporting teams have already started. Beilein now being "available" makes him a lot more likely to join a top vacancy instead of fighting for scraps if he were to get fired by the Cavs in June.

This is the rare, rare case where passion for the game > money. Yes, Beilein did leave millions on the table. But he clearly wants to coach the college game again and has willing to take a pay cut for it.

If, however, Beilein DOESN'T take another college role, then I'm stunned and have no explanation.

scottdude8
02-19-2020, 11:35 AM

That's a good point. To be fair, the media thought it was bizarre that he got a 5 year contract to begin with considering the risks of going from college to the NBA. Some were wondering whether he would be done coaching all-together following this debacle, but the fact that he was willing to cede so much money indicates that he expects to recoup much of that in a new gig (not that he's hurting for money of course, he was paid quite well at Michigan).

scottdude8
02-19-2020, 11:41 AM
Beilein is a great coach but not a great fit for Texas. I never thought his recruiting was his strong point but benefitted from Michigan’s history, which is much more impressive than Texas. Now with Texas Tech, Baylor, and Houston looking like regular Top 25 teams, his regional competition is greater. Add in his slow offensive style and I just don’t think he is the guy you pick after Shaka- especially when you add his age to the equation. Wake seems like a better fit given the lack of pressure and expectations...

You're 100% correct that Beilein's recruiting was never strong, but that was part of his genius... given his system and ability to develop players, he turned teams of 3/4* recruits into national contenders. Also, it's worth remembering that during his tenure he did have a TON of NBA success. Michigan had 10 guys on opening day NBA rosters this year, which was the eighth most of any school (notably behind only the blue bloods and, ironically, Texas). Guys like Caris LeVert and Moe Wagner who were late 1st round picks have blossomed into solid NBA players (in LeVert's case, a potential star). Duncan Robinson went from undrafted to arguably the best 3 point specialist in the league. Derrick Walton also went from undrafted to a solid NBA player. And people forget that Michigan's lottery picks like Tre Burke and Nik Stauskas, while they didn't quite pan out in the league, were massively overlooked recruits who earned millions of dollars thanks largely to Beilein's ability to develop and showcase their talents.

So I doubt that the ability to recruit is going to factor much into his decision. He's the type of coach who can win with good, but not spectacular, recruiting classes, and then reel in one special recruit every couple years in an attempt to put a team over the top.

JasonEvans
02-19-2020, 11:42 AM

I suspect that this is because Beilein is the one who wanted out, not the Cavs. He knew it was not working and he wanted to leave. In a case like that, trying to get a lucrative buyout is really inappropriate and, from everything I have heard, John Beilein is an upstanding/honorable guy.

JetpackJesus
02-19-2020, 06:33 PM
If Beilein is really looking to get back to the college game, the timing makes sense. Coaches will start getting fired en masse starting in roughly a month. Those conversations between the AD and his supporting teams have already started. Beilein now being "available" makes him a lot more likely to join a top vacancy instead of fighting for scraps if he were to get fired by the Cavs in June.

This is the rare, rare case where passion for the game > money. Yes, Beilein did leave millions on the table. But he clearly wants to coach the college game again and has willing to take a pay cut for it.

If, however, Beilein DOESN'T take another college role, then I'm stunned and have no explanation.

I posted over in the NBA thread before I saw this discussion going on here. Apparently Beilein is staying on with the Cavs organization in a different role. There's no real mention of what that role is, or how long he will fill it. I was surprised to see that announcement today.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28739106/john-beilein-officially-resigns-coach-new-role-cavaliers

MChambers
02-19-2020, 07:59 PM
“I find losing very challenging and this year has taken a much bigger toll on me than I expected. I grew concerned for the consequences this toll could potentially take on my own health and my family’s well-being down the road.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/19/john-beileins-tumultuous-run-cavaliers-head-coach-comes-quick-end/

frb
02-20-2020, 08:52 AM

just spec on my part but I think he has the college offer in hand already. Cavs doing him a favor by letting him go now so he hits the ground running when he's announced at whatever school. Start building out his new staff, identifying recruits, moving etc... I think he'd crush it at Texas. He's not a great recruiter but he doesn't have to be. That's not how he wins. You know who is a great recruiter? Shaka Smart and he's gone. Can't win at the high major level.

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2020, 08:58 AM
“I find losing very challenging and this year has taken a much bigger toll on me than I expected. I grew concerned for the consequences this toll could potentially take on my own health and my family’s well-being down the road.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/19/john-beileins-tumultuous-run-cavaliers-head-coach-comes-quick-end/

Well then any "rebuilding" program better stay far away from him. He wouldn't be winning right away at a school like Wake.

BD80
02-20-2020, 09:32 AM

Should he stay away from unc?

Acymetric
02-20-2020, 09:33 AM
Should he stay away from unc?

Yes, everyone should.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-20-2020, 02:07 PM
I posted over in the NBA thread before I saw this discussion going on here. Apparently Beilein is staying on with the Cavs organization in a different role. There's no real mention of what that role is, or how long he will fill it. I was surprised to see that announcement today.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28739106/john-beilein-officially-resigns-coach-new-role-cavaliers

If I'm putting on my NBA goggles here, and trying to decipher this (and I don't have NBA goggles nor even follow it that closely) - it seems to me that keeping Beilein on in some capacity is a way of preserving a little reputation of both parties (that the coach is not a quitter, and that the organization is not a terrible place to work). I would imagine his interview process will go on.

wsb3
03-10-2020, 07:50 AM
From the front page of DBR. https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/3/9/21171133/dan-collins-wake-forest-danny-manning.

My friend, (a Wake alum) who last year stated correctly that Wake would not cough up the $$$ for Manning's buyout, is convinced this year that Manning is gone.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-10-2020, 08:19 AM
From the front page of DBR. https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/3/9/21171133/dan-collins-wake-forest-danny-manning.

My friend, (a Wake alum) who last year stated correctly that Wake would not cough up the $$$ for Manning's buyout, is convinced this year that Manning is gone.

This is a Ron Wellman problem.....the AD who saddled WFU with this huge ugly albatross....Manning's contract. The new AD....who I think was on staff at the time....inherited this. Of course, we don't know if he was part of the decision making process at the time. Well, WE don't know, but I'm sure some around here know.

SavDukeGrad
03-10-2020, 10:46 AM
This is a Ron Wellman problem...the AD who saddled WFU with this huge ugly albatross...Manning's contract. The new AD...who I think was on staff at the time...inherited this. Of course, we don't know if he was part of the decision making process at the time. Well, WE don't know, but I'm sure some around here know.

John Currie, the Wake AD, is a Wake grad (‘93) and was an asst. AD at Wake from 1998-2000. But he was not on staff when Wake hired Manning, nor was he on staff when Wellman extended Manning’s contract in 2017.

DU82
03-10-2020, 12:35 PM
My sources at UMBC tell me they believe Ryan Odom will leave to go to Wake.

lotusland
03-10-2020, 01:20 PM

I thought he wanted a challenge :)????

HereBeforeCoachK
03-10-2020, 02:25 PM
I thought he wanted a challenge :)????

Rebuilding WF will be....:)

jimsumner
03-10-2020, 07:24 PM
The Wake Forest beat guys here in Greensboro all agree that Manning has coached his last game at Wake.

I'm told that the money exists to buy out Manning and pay Belien but it's not clear if Currie is willing to spend it.

FWIW.

weezie
03-10-2020, 07:30 PM
My sources at UMBC tell me they believe Ryan Odom will leave to go to Wake.

He'd be good pick. Although I shouldn't care about any other coaches, I like him.

But Beilein, yuck. Never liked him anywhere, including wvu. What a creepy guy.

wsb3
03-11-2020, 03:06 PM
https://www.7220sports.com/edwards-out-at-wyoming/

Edwards out at Wyoming..

Acymetric
03-11-2020, 03:10 PM
The Wake Forest beat guys here in Greensboro all agree that Manning has coached his last game at Wake.

I'm told that the money exists to buy out Manning and pay Belien but it's not clear if Currie is willing to spend it.

FWIW.

He'd be good pick. Although I shouldn't care about any other coaches, I like him.

But Beilein, yuck. Never liked him anywhere, including wvu. What a creepy guy.

Whoever it is, I hope its a good hire.

Make the Big 4 Great Again!

YmoBeThere
03-13-2020, 08:38 AM
Thunder Dan got thunder slammed....

weezie
03-13-2020, 08:49 AM
Thunder Dan got thunder slammed...

Just the mention of his name gets my attention. Wish he was able to recruit better because he is one of my major crushes. :rolleyes:

Stone cold hottie.

DU82
03-13-2020, 12:46 PM
Would help some of us to list the coach and school.

Dan Majerle, Grand Canyon.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2020, 12:53 PM
Would help some of us to list the coach and school.

Dan Majerle, Grand Canyon.

Thanks, I had no idea who Thunder Dan was.

wsb3
03-14-2020, 07:35 AM
Earlier in this thread there was talk of Brad Brownell's seat being hot. He will return.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/2020/03/13/clemson-basketball-coach-brad-brownell-return-11-th-season/5047080002/

CameronBornAndBred
03-14-2020, 08:56 AM
NCSU assistant Takayo Siddle is returning to UNC-W as head coach. He's only 33; if he has success that will be a nice kickoff to a bigger program in a few years.

wsb3
03-14-2020, 10:13 AM
NCSU assistant Takayo Siddle is returning to UNC-W as head coach. He's only 33; if he has success that will be a nice kickoff to a bigger program in a few years.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/sports/20200313/siddle-returns-as-uncw-basketball-coach

I hope he does well and if he does he will be gone but that is the nature of the type program UNCW is.

TKG
03-14-2020, 04:13 PM
Pitino to Iona.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28902504/rick-pitino-candidate-iona-job

dukelifer
03-14-2020, 04:42 PM
Pitino to Iona.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28902504/rick-pitino-candidate-iona-job

Over/Under as to when he will get another NCAA violation.

richardjackson199
03-14-2020, 04:45 PM
Over/Under as to when he will get another NCAA violation.

Over. He won't get caught this time.

BD80
03-14-2020, 04:57 PM
Pitino to Iona.

Wow, that was quick.

Where have I heard that before?

Pghdukie
03-14-2020, 05:00 PM
His ego wont let him stay long at Iona. He will lie, cheat, steal, anything to make a quick winning program in Hope's of getting back to a Power 5 HC job.
He always was and always will be an egotistical moron

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-14-2020, 05:04 PM
His ego wont let him stay long at Iona. He will lie, cheat, steal, anything to make a quick winning program in Hope's of getting back to a Power 5 HC job.

Maybe he should get into politics.

sagegrouse
03-14-2020, 05:23 PM
Pitino to Iona.

Now he gets to big shot again, as in "I Own A College." Valvano's line.

MartyClark
03-14-2020, 05:24 PM

Good coach though.

sagegrouse
03-14-2020, 05:24 PM

I tend to disagree. This is nuts as a "career move." Maybe he just wants to coach hoops.

awhom111
03-14-2020, 05:29 PM
I tend to disagree. This is nuts as a "career move." Maybe he just wants to coach hoops.

To be clear he has already coached for parts of the last two seasons and was named coach of the Greek National Team. He has been a lot less successful in his second stint at Panathinaikos (which was loaded with players with college experience) so the coronavirus probably stops what might have been an embarrassing end to the season for him.

TKG
03-14-2020, 05:48 PM

TMI.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-14-2020, 09:34 PM
Wow, that was quick.

I'm amazed that there wasn't a show cause on Pitino and that they could hire him. And I don't think that Pitino has proven himself to have lived by the Catholic values that theoretically guide Iona. I'm all for forgiveness and repentance but this is ridiculous.

I didn't know that their coach Cluess had been out for much of the year. He is a great coach who was supposedly offered the St. John's job last year (he is an alum) but turned it down. Apparently he has had health problems - hope he is ok.

Bigger picture, now is when a lot of the coaching firings would be happening, but it would be in poor taste to fire someone given everything else going on the world, so I think some coaches on the hot seat might be getting a few extra weeks in their jobs.

duke74
03-14-2020, 10:00 PM
I'm amazed that there wasn't a show cause on Pitino and that they could hire him. And I don't think that Pitino has proven himself to have lived by the Catholic values that theoretically guide Iona. I'm all for forgiveness and repentance but this is ridiculous.

I didn't know that their coach Cluess had been out for much of the year. He is a great coach who was supposedly offered the St. John's job last year (he is an alum) but turned it down. Apparently he has had health problems - hope he is ok.

Bigger picture, now is when a lot of the coaching firings would be happening, but it would be in poor taste to fire someone given everything else going on the world, so I think some coaches on the hot seat might be getting a few extra weeks in their jobs.

Cluess is from a St. John’s family. Two brothers died young. He attended SJ but graduated Hofstra I think.

I hadn’t heard that he was offered the job, although many alums were pushing for it.

A good decent man. Hoping for the best for him.

MChambers
03-15-2020, 10:10 AM
A piece by Chuck Culpepper in the Washington Post about Pitino's return: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/rick-pitinos-return-to-college-hoops-at-iona-speaks-volumes-and-these-volumes-are-quite-funny/2020/03/14/1362a780-6638-11ea-acca-80c22bbee96f_story.html

ElliottHoo
03-15-2020, 05:01 PM
I'm amazed that there wasn't a show cause on Pitino and that they could hire him.

To me this is the most astonishing part. For all the extremely well documented crap Pitino pulled, the bulk of the repercussions he’s faced actually came from Louisville rather than the NCAA. If Louisville had pulled a Tarhole and doubled down on the denial and lawyering, Pitino and Louisville would have been in less trouble than GT and Pastner.

Acymetric
03-16-2020, 08:58 AM
I'm amazed that there wasn't a show cause on Pitino and that they could hire him.

Was about to say the exact same thing. I assumed he had one until I read this news.

WakeDevil
03-16-2020, 08:09 PM
Pitino's time in Greece. Great read. The owner was psycho, and the fans smoked during the games.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/2/27/18242154/rick-pitino-panathinaikos-louisville-interview

He laughed again at the absurdity of it all. Pitino—no stranger to intense local rivalries—described the Athenians as “Kentucky fans on steroids.” He is almost always mobbed at the airport, where he stops to answer media questions before flying to the next game. Panathinaikos supporters recently surrounded the team bus on a dirt road in Lemnos, an island near Turkey, forcing it to idle until they finished chanting and singing the club anthem. And after we had lunch, he was standing outside Agora when a two-door Skoda slammed on the brakes in the middle of traffic, then rolled down the driver’s window. From across the street, the driver had somehow identified Pitino, who was wearing sunglasses. I was standing right next to him, and I’m not sure I would have known it was Pitino if I hadn’t already known it was him. The driver shouted, “Coach,” then made a fist with his right hand and patted it twice on the left side of his chest near his heart. “I am with the Red.” An Olympiacos fan. Then he peeled off.

“I’ve never seen anything like this in my life,” Pitino said, smiling.

Steven43
03-16-2020, 10:32 PM
Good coach though.

Yes, he can coach. But he’s a terrible leader, an awful role model, and a scumbag. I can’t believe Iona would hire this guy. They should be embarrassed.

accfanfrom1970
03-16-2020, 11:12 PM
Iona should be embarrassed.

Acymetric
03-17-2020, 11:51 AM
Pitino's time in Greece. Great read. The owner was psycho, and the fans smoked during the games

I mean, this was pretty commonplace here within (relatively) recent memory.

Now if the players smoked during games, that would be a story.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/scrubs/images/6/6c/5x16-Retro_Janitor.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20110702172736

budwom
03-17-2020, 11:57 AM
Pitino's time in Greece. Great read. The owner was psycho, and the fans smoked during the games.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/2/27/18242154/rick-pitino-panathinaikos-louisville-interview

He laughed again at the absurdity of it all. Pitino—no stranger to intense local rivalries—described the Athenians as “Kentucky fans on steroids.” He is almost always mobbed at the airport, where he stops to answer media questions before flying to the next game. Panathinaikos supporters recently surrounded the team bus on a dirt road in Lemnos, an island near Turkey, forcing it to idle until they finished chanting and singing the club anthem. And after we had lunch, he was standing outside Agora when a two-door Skoda slammed on the brakes in the middle of traffic, then rolled down the driver’s window. From across the street, the driver had somehow identified Pitino, who was wearing sunglasses. I was standing right next to him, and I’m not sure I would have known it was Pitino if I hadn’t already known it was him. The driver shouted, “Coach,” then made a fist with his right hand and patted it twice on the left side of his chest near his heart. “I am with the Red.” An Olympiacos fan. Then he peeled off.

“I’ve never seen anything like this in my life,” Pitino said, smiling.

Well, in the early 1970s we drove down from Durham to see Hank Aaron work on Babe Ruth's home run record, and after coming in from the field between innings, we often saw Hank grabbing a smoke in the corner of the dugout.
Similar time frame, the amazing Guy Lafleur of the Canadiens was a two pack a day guy, not averse to lighting up in the locker room.

BD80
03-17-2020, 02:31 PM
... the amazing Guy Lafleur of the Canadiens was a two pack a day guy, not averse to lighting up in the locker room.

Were you going to be the one to tell him he couldn't?

lotusland
03-18-2020, 08:03 AM
Vlade Divac was a smoker as an nba player. Not in games though:).

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2020, 08:17 AM
I mean, this was pretty commonplace here within (relatively) recent memory.

Now if the players smoked during games, that would be a story.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/scrubs/images/6/6c/5x16-Retro_Janitor.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20110702172736

I think into the 70s there were players who smoked in NBA locker rooms at half and so on....I remember being surprised reading about that.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2020, 09:19 AM
Vlade Divac was a smoker as an nba player. Not in games though:).

Just a hunch, but I think Bill Walton was too.

pfrduke
03-18-2020, 01:23 PM
Just a hunch, but I think Bill Walton was too.

Not sure they were smoking the same substances.

kako
03-31-2020, 06:21 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/tarleton-state-decision-hire-billy-150053996.html

It's not often I read an article so scathing about a coach from a real news outlet. Either this is libel, or Billy Gillispie is a bad person. I think I had heard about the DUIs, but mostly I know that UK went to the NIT with him at the helm. And unless you are Coach Cal with Big Blue nattys in your pocket, that's not flying at Kentucky... thus the pink slip.

If there's no lawsuit, then the shoe probably fits.

9F

SlapTheFloor
03-31-2020, 06:46 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/tarleton-state-decision-hire-billy-150053996.html

It's not often I read an article so scathing about a coach from a real news outlet. Either this is libel, or Billy Gillispie is a bad person. I think I had heard about the DUIs, but mostly I know that UK went to the NIT with him at the helm. And unless you are Coach Cal with Big Blue nattys in your pocket, that's not flying at Kentucky... thus the pink slip.

If there's no lawsuit, then the shoe probably fits.

9F

This jives with the stories I've heard about him. He reportedly had a significant alcohol problem, so that may have been a factor. The question for me is, if he had been a successful basketball coach, would UK and its fans have tolerated the bad behavior?

sagegrouse
03-31-2020, 06:56 PM
This jives with the stories I've heard about him. He reportedly had a significant alcohol problem, so that may have been a factor. The question for me is, if he had been a successful basketball coach, would UK and its fans have tolerated the bad behavior?

From reports, he is a strange and self-destructive man. Like he never signed his contract at Kentucky, just an MOU -- and he was there two years!

Gillispie signed a memorandum of understanding in [AD Mitch] Barnhart’s house following a whirlwind courtship that lasted less than a day. Yet he never signed a formal contract as his lawyer and the university fought over the wording.

In the end, that decision may end up costing him millions. Barnhart said the university did not plan to pay Gillispie a $6 million buyout that was to be part of his seven-year deal that remains unsigned.

“Suffice it to say it will be less than that,” Barnhart said.

Barnhart said the school would abide by the memorandum of understanding, but he considers it to be a year-to-year contract. Gillispie made $2.3 million annually.

In the predictable lawsuit, he got $3 million, one-half of what was in the unsigned contract.

brevity
03-31-2020, 06:59 PM
We have a Coaching Carousel (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?44680-MBB-2020-Coaching-Carousel) thread. Billy Gillispie is not special enough to merit his own.

MartyClark
03-31-2020, 07:52 PM

I think they would tolerate anything from a coach who wins

kako
03-31-2020, 09:39 PM
We have a Coaching Carousel (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?44680-MBB-2020-Coaching-Carousel) thread. Billy Gillispie is not special enough to merit his own.

Fair enough. I stand corrected!

9F