PDA

View Full Version : Zion's Baaaaccckkk

Pages : [1] 2 3

plimnko
01-13-2020, 02:38 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/report-zion-williamson-to-make-nba-debut-thursday/ar-BBYUPQs?li=BBnba9I

uh_no
01-13-2020, 02:45 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/report-zion-williamson-to-make-nba-debut-thursday/ar-BBYUPQs?li=BBnba9I

c'mon. At least put something relevant in the thread title.

plimnko
01-13-2020, 02:50 PM

sorry my post didn't meet your standards

sagegrouse
01-13-2020, 02:52 PM

"Report: Zion Williamson to make NBA debut Thursday"

uh_no
01-13-2020, 02:58 PM

It's in the board decorum to provide context to links:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21833-Decorum-amp-Posting-Guidelines-(Please-read-before-posting!)&p=423519#post423519

UrinalCake
01-13-2020, 02:59 PM
Here’s what Thursday is going to look like:

Link (https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1128487845461729281?s=20)

Edouble
01-13-2020, 03:03 PM

Agree.

Hey, it's the standards of DBR and he's right to take ownership of said standards. I thought the link was gonna be to an article on a definitive timeline for Wendell's return.

uh_no
01-13-2020, 03:09 PM
Agree.

Hey, it's the standards of DBR and he's right to take ownership of said standards. I thought the link was gonna be to an article on a definitive timeline for Wendell's return.

That was my concern. Given Wendell's situation, this could easily apply to him, which makes the title very click-baity.

I get the excitement about Zion (heck, I'm still trying to find a time to go see him play in the league!), but this board is still primarily focused on the current duke team, and as such, it seems reasonable to assume a post like this would be about a current rather than a former player. Normally a former player returning from injury in the league wouldn't warrant a stand-alone post to begin with, as we have a dukies in the NBA thread.

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2020, 03:09 PM

I thought it might be something a little more divine.

scottdude8
01-13-2020, 03:10 PM

Glad to hear I wasn't alone in thinking this, haha. That said, I'm still pretty darn excited to finally see Zion play in the league.

uh_no
01-13-2020, 03:12 PM
I thought it might be something a little more divine.

St francis, PA?

Edouble
01-13-2020, 03:31 PM
Any chance this game gets an "upgrade" somehow to, I dunno, Fox Sports South or one of the ESPN Networks?

Can ESPN even show basketball on ESPN/ESPN2 on a Thursday night? I would think TNT would have some Thursday exclusivity in their agreement with the league.

Maybe just frequent live look-ins during TNT's coverage of the Celts/Bucks game during the same time slot (the Pels game is being covered on League Pass)?

plimnko
01-13-2020, 03:59 PM
That was my concern. Given Wendell's situation, this could easily apply to him, which makes the title very click-baity.

I get the excitement about Zion (heck, I'm still trying to find a time to go see him play in the league!), but this board is still primarily focused on the current duke team, and as such, it seems reasonable to assume a post like this would be about a current rather than a former player. Normally a former player returning from injury in the league wouldn't warrant a stand-alone post to begin with, as we have a dukies in the NBA thread.

ok...i see what you mean. i apologize for being such a (--redacted--)!

JetpackJesus
01-13-2020, 04:28 PM

I assume the thread title has been changed, but now I'm left wondering what it was originally because the entire thread has been almost exclusively about the old title. Was it just "He's Baaaacckkk ..." instead of "Zion's Baaaaccckkkk ...?"

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2020, 04:29 PM
I assume the thread title has been changed, but now I'm left wondering what it was originally because the entire thread has been about the old title. Was it just "He's Baaaacckkk ..." instead of "Zion's Baaaaccckkkk ...?"

Yep.

sagegrouse
01-13-2020, 04:59 PM
I assume the thread title has been changed, but now I'm left wondering what it was originally because the entire thread has been almost exclusively about the old title. Was it just "He's Baaaacckkk ..." instead of "Zion's Baaaaccckkkk ...?"

This is actually a meta-thread -- just discussion about thread format, not about the substance.

bundabergdevil
01-13-2020, 05:12 PM
Well, I for one am shickled titless by the news. Zion's been the most fun I've had watching a basketball game in a while and I'll be tuning in to a lot of Pelicans games just to watch him. I can't say that for any other recent NBA player save for play-off Lebron, Steph, and KD.

JetpackJesus
01-13-2020, 05:13 PM
This is actually a meta-thread -- just discussion about thread format, not about the substance.

That's cool. We have a Dukies in the NBA thread for the substance. I was just confused how someone thought a "Zion's Baaaaccckkk ..." thread could be about Wendell Carter or Jesus (now I get it). At least now there's context for anyone else who stumbles in here late like I did.

rsvman
01-13-2020, 05:31 PM

If I post about meta-threads, would it become a meta-meta-thread? 'Cause that would be cool.

sagegrouse
01-13-2020, 05:34 PM
If I post about meta-threads, would it become a meta-meta-thread? 'Cause that would be cool.

Go for it!!

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2020, 05:37 PM
Well, I for one am shickled titless by the news.

Well I guess I won't be painting any portraits of you then. :rolleyes:

UrinalCake
01-13-2020, 10:35 PM
I was just confused how someone thought a "Zion's Baaaaccckkk ..." thread could be about Wendell Carter or Jesus (now I get it).

This thread is actually about how Wendell Carter wanted to return for his sophomore year, but Zion’s mother talked him out of it.

campered
01-14-2020, 09:55 AM

Hi plimnko! I for one, have no problem with your post. The provided link explains your thread easily. Don't let a couple of Burger King, "I'm a damn fool!" wannabees, bother ya.

bundabergdevil
01-14-2020, 03:30 PM
Well I guess I won't be painting any portraits of you then. :rolleyes:

I am not one of your French girls all shickled tit-ful!

SouthernDukie
01-15-2020, 04:12 PM
Zion’s debut pushed back to next Tuesday, 1/22, now. And I had just set my DVR with all the NBA doings tomorrow night. :(

bundabergdevil
01-15-2020, 04:35 PM
Zion’s debut pushed back to next Tuesday, 1/22, now. And I had just set my DVR with all the NBA doings tomorrow night. :(

In addition, Pelicans have changed their tune on minutes restrictions and are now saying Zion will not have any.

Edouble
01-15-2020, 04:37 PM

Tuesday 01/22 does not exist.

It's actually Wednesday 01/22 at home vs San Antonio.

JasonEvans
01-15-2020, 04:38 PM

Actually, it will be Wednesday the 22nd against the Spurs.

-Jason "ESPN currently schedule to show 76ers-Raptors and Nuggets-Rockets that night... I wonder if that will change" Evans

hallcity
01-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Actually, it will be Wednesday the 22nd against the Spurs.

-Jason "ESPN currently schedule to show 76ers-Raptors and Nuggets-Rockets that night... I wonder if that will change" Evans

All of Zion's college games were available on TV nationally but most of his NBA games won't be. You get better TV exposure playing at Duke than you do playing in the NBA.

-jk
01-15-2020, 05:36 PM
All of Zion's college games were available on TV nationally but most of his NBA games won't be. You get better TV exposure playing at Duke than you do playing in the NBA.

Until the ACCN, anyway...

-jk

SouthernDukie
01-15-2020, 06:00 PM
Tuesday 01/22 does not exist.

It's actually Wednesday 01/22 at home vs San Antonio.

Sorry. My bad on the day of the week.

devildeac
01-15-2020, 06:02 PM
I am not one of your French girls all shickled tit-ful!

CB&B does some abstract painting (my poorly worded descriptor), too, so he'd have a great time portraying my alarmingly unintelligent nature :o.

bundabergdevil
01-16-2020, 09:16 AM
Fascinating look into what the Pels have been doing with Zion and some of the mind-blowing physics of Zion's body... (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28485732/zion-williamson-preparation-preservation-no-precedent)

There are lots of interesting anecdotes and astounding numbers but, jeebus, to have this problem:

"Then Griffin shares another story about Williamson -- how the Pelicans engaged in a team-wide heavy weight-lifting routine for just one week during the offseason. Williamson gained eight pounds of muscle during that span, a degree of weight gain that shocked staffers."

JayZee
01-16-2020, 02:47 PM
Fascinating look into what the Pels have been doing with Zion and some of the mind-blowing physics of Zion's body... (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28485732/zion-williamson-preparation-preservation-no-precedent)

There are lots of interesting anecdotes and astounding numbers but, jeebus, to have this problem:

"Then Griffin shares another story about Williamson -- how the Pelicans engaged in a team-wide heavy weight-lifting routine for just one week during the offseason. Williamson gained eight pounds of muscle during that span, a degree of weight gain that shocked staffers."

Bump - really cool article.

AZLA
01-16-2020, 03:39 PM
Holy cow, Zion is the new Chuck Norris...

"No one with his body type gets up there," he says today, rewatching the jump.
Later in the session, Williamson completed what is known as a box jump, in which he jumped down from an 18-inch box before quickly leaping as high as possible. When he did, those force plates recorded that he had created 4,900 newtons worth of force -- about twice the amount needed to crack a brick with a karate punch.

jv001
01-16-2020, 06:49 PM
Holy cow, Zion is the new Chuck Norris...

"No one with his body type gets up there," he says today, rewatching the jump.
Later in the session, Williamson completed what is known as a box jump, in which he jumped down from an 18-inch box before quickly leaping as high as possible. When he did, those force plates recorded that he had created 4,900 newtons worth of force -- about twice the amount needed to crack a brick with a karate punch.

Gotta be good on the knees. :confused:

GoDuke!

tecumseh
01-18-2020, 08:43 AM
Good article on ESPN about Zion, sorry no link ESPN makes it default to home page? Jest of article is Zion is freak of nature and really a test for physical trainers to keep him injury free. Maybe if Duke med could clone him Duke could win national championship in football. Point of forum is pointless speculation .....I think Zion could play offensive line, defensive line, tight end, running back especially seeing what Chris Henry is doing, heck probably even QB.

MCFinARL
01-18-2020, 08:57 AM
Good article on ESPN about Zion, sorry no link ESPN makes it default to home page? Jest of article is Zion is freak of nature and really a test for physical trainers to keep him injury free. Maybe if Duke med could clone him Duke could win national championship in football. Point of forum is pointless speculation ....I think Zion could play offensive line, defensive line, tight end, running back especially seeing what Chris Henry is doing, heck probably even QB.

This article was linked on the front page yesterday, and that link goes to the article. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28485732/zion-williamson-preparation-preservation-no-precedent

HereBeforeCoachK
01-18-2020, 09:06 AM
Good article on ESPN about Zion, sorry no link ESPN makes it default to home page? Jest of article is Zion is freak of nature and really a test for physical trainers to keep him injury free. Maybe if Duke med could clone him Duke could win national championship in football. Point of forum is pointless speculation ....I think Zion could play offensive line, defensive line, tight end, running back especially seeing what Chris Henry is doing, heck probably even QB.

Zion's amazing talents would be wasted on the OL or DL....yes, he's strong enough to do so, but it would waste his amazing jumping, hands, speed, lateral quickness. I've said, only half joking, that in 2 weeks time he could be the best TE the NFL has ever seen. That's the position that most aligns with his unprecedented skill set.

UrinalCake
01-18-2020, 09:52 AM
Definitely TE, just throw the ball up there and nobody is out jumping him for it.

jv001
01-18-2020, 10:56 AM
Zion's amazing talents would be wasted on the OL or DL...yes, he's strong enough to do so, but it would waste his amazing jumping, hands, speed, lateral quickness. I've said, only half joking, that in 2 weeks time he could be the best TE the NFL has ever seen. That's the position that most aligns with his unprecedented skill set.

Yeh, I can see Zion catching a 10 yard pass, run over a DB, smile and then pick the trampled DB up. :cool:

GoDuke!

billy
01-18-2020, 11:43 AM
This article was linked on the front page yesterday, and that link goes to the article. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28485732/zion-williamson-preparation-preservation-no-precedent

Having read the article, it brought back memories of the (previously) very productive poster Greybeard. Much of what is discussed in the article is focused on the kinetic chain, core strengthening, timing of muscle firing, etc. None of this is particularly new, especially to those like Greybeard who posted quite frequently on the topic. It's certainly becoming more mainstream in the media because of people like Zion, of course.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Not sure if it’s been noted but I just saw that the Pels game on Wednesday will be broadcast on ESPN.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-18-2020, 12:35 PM
Having read the article, it brought back memories of the (previously) very productive poster Greybeard. Much of what is discussed in the article is focused on the kinetic chain, core strengthening, timing of muscle firing, etc. None of this is particularly new, especially to those like Greybeard who posted quite frequently on the topic. It's certainly becoming more mainstream in the media because of people like Zion, of course.
How come Greybeard didn’t post in the S’up Klemnop thread? You still around?

tecumseh
01-19-2020, 08:17 AM
Yeh, I can see Zion catching a 10 yard pass, run over a DB, smile and then pick the trampled DB up. :cool:

GoDuke!

I would have agreed a few weeks ago but with Henry and Titans think of Zion at running back

HereBeforeCoachK
01-19-2020, 08:32 AM
I would have agreed a few weeks ago but with Henry and Titans think of Zion at running back

Zion's leaping and great hands would largely be wasted at running back. The big power forwards who moved from BB to FB almost always go to TE, and some have been awesome as TEs. Think Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Darren Fells, Julius Thomas, Rico Gathers and some others. The big exception is Julius Peppers, who also would have been an all world TE had he played that...but he was more a FB player who played BB...the others are BB players who switched to FB. Their skills sets all kind of mirrored Zion's, but Zion is more freakish athlete than any of them. Gonzales is considered maybe the best TE ever....and Zion has everything he has plus more. TE is the position.

bundabergdevil
01-19-2020, 08:43 AM
Regarding the front page article on Zion ---- according to David Griffin, there will be no specific minutes restriction or target (https://www.talkbasket.net/64768-david-griffin-on-zion-williamsons-comeback-we-wont-do-a-minutes-restriction). He does speak about what to expect though.

arnie
01-19-2020, 09:02 AM
Zion's leaping and great hands would largely be wasted at running back. The big power forwards who moved from BB to FB almost always go to TE, and some have been awesome as TEs. Think Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Darren Fells, Julius Thomas, Rico Gathers and some others. The big exception is Julius Peppers, who also would have been an all world TE had he played that...but he was more a FB player who played BB...the others are BB players who switched to FB. Their skills sets all kind of mirrored Zion's, but Zion is more freakish athlete than any of them. Gonzales is considered maybe the best TE ever...and Zion has everything he has plus more. TE is the position.

After he retires from B-ball and football, might as well be an MLB catcher with bad knees. His plate blocking skills would be impressive.

Tripping William
01-19-2020, 09:09 AM
After he retires from B-ball and football, might as well be an MLB catcher with bad knees. His plate blocking skills would be impressive.

But can he conceal signs from the Houston Astros?

arnie
01-19-2020, 11:17 AM
But can he conceal signs from the Houston Astros?

Zion can do and knows all. Similar to Bo.

elvis14
01-21-2020, 11:24 AM
This morning after seeing Zion get mentioned on SportsCenter, I realized how ridiculously excited I am to watch him play tomorrow night.

I'd really like to see him make a positive impact on the Pelicans and help them make the playoffs (if for no other reason than to keep JJ's streak alive...after all he did tell Zion not to f$# it up!)

left_hook_lacey
01-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Zion's amazing talents would be wasted on the OL or DL...yes, he's strong enough to do so, but it would waste his amazing jumping, hands, speed, lateral quickness. I've said, only half joking, that in 2 weeks time he could be the best TE the NFL has ever seen. That's the position that most aligns with his unprecedented skill set.

Two way player. TE on offense, DE on defense.

I'd pay good money to see that. If just for a couple of games.

kAzE
01-21-2020, 05:00 PM
Zion's leaping and great hands would largely be wasted at running back. The big power forwards who moved from BB to FB almost always go to TE, and some have been awesome as TEs. Think Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Darren Fells, Julius Thomas, Rico Gathers and some others. The big exception is Julius Peppers, who also would have been an all world TE had he played that...but he was more a FB player who played BB...the others are BB players who switched to FB. Their skills sets all kind of mirrored Zion's, but Zion is more freakish athlete than any of them. Gonzales is considered maybe the best TE ever...and Zion has everything he has plus more. TE is the position.

Zion at QB! He'd be the untackle-able version of Lamar Jackson!

I'm down to just play 22 Zions, 1 at every position. Greatest football team of all time.

bundabergdevil
01-21-2020, 05:08 PM
ESPN appears to be re-airing some of last year's Duke games to hype Zion's return. Duke-ND is on now.

thedukelamere
01-21-2020, 05:17 PM
When we were watching the fball games over the weekend, the Mrs. asked me, "How much money could Zion make being a goal line running back? Just take off from the 5 yard line and no amount of defenders would stop his momentum before he crossed the goal line."

Seriously, who would be able to stop him?

kAzE
01-21-2020, 05:21 PM
When we were watching the fball games over the weekend, the Mrs. asked me, "How much money could Zion make being a goal line running back? Just take off from the 5 yard line and no amount of defenders would stop his momentum before he crossed the goal line."

Seriously, who would be able to stop him?

I feel momentum wouldn't matter all that much. Doesn't it seem like he'd be able to just jump over both the offensive and defensive lines to get into the end zone untouched? And probably do a 360 windmill dunk on the uprights while he's up there.

thedukelamere
01-21-2020, 05:24 PM
I feel momentum wouldn't matter all that much. Doesn't it seem like he'd be able to just jump over both the offensive and defensive lines to get into the end zone untouched? And probably do a 360 windmill dunk on the uprights while he's up there.

Exactly. Cam Newton has made a living just being tall on the goal line and reaching over everyone... Imagine someone just body-surfing into the endzone 3 times a game and being a hall of famer in multiple sports :D

moonpie23
01-21-2020, 07:55 PM
you think nike's got a full team on hand to test the shoes before the game?

AZLA
01-22-2020, 12:11 AM
Missed Zion. Can’t wait to see him just be on the floor even if only for a few minutes. His interview today was hilarious as he referenced his ‘meditating’ on the sideline while having to wait to make his debut. Truly happy to see him back. Ja deserves ROF but Zion deserves his own runway and some good health.

bundabergdevil
01-22-2020, 07:38 AM
Happy Zion Day! I'm very curious to see how his debut impacts viewership for this evening's game. I'm expecting a lot of people to tune in. It sounds like the Pels held Zion out for longer than he needed to just heal from the knee repair so looking forward to a mobile - if a little out of basketball shape - Zion who does a few things only Zion an do.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-22-2020, 07:42 AM
Missed Zion. Can’t wait to see him just be on the floor even if only for a few minutes. His interview today was hilarious as he referenced his ‘meditating’ on the sideline while having to wait to make his debut. Truly happy to see him back. Ja deserves ROF but Zion deserves his own runway and some good health.
His interview reminded me of...

https://youtu.be/gjlUHY2cbC8

elvis14
01-22-2020, 10:07 AM
Happy Zion Day! I'm very curious to see how his debut impacts viewership for this evening's game. ...

I wouldn't be surprised if the TV ratings for the game tonight are the highest for a game this season. The only thing that makes me waver is the 9:30 start time for the game.

flyingdutchdevil
01-22-2020, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the TV ratings for the game tonight are the highest for a game this season. The only thing that makes me waver is the 9:30 start time for the game.

While I agree, I think I am more excited for this game than any non-Duke/UNC game this year.

Indoor66
01-22-2020, 10:41 AM

That 9:30 issue is why we have DVR's.

elvis14
01-22-2020, 10:47 AM
While I agree, I think I am more excited for this game than any non-Duke/UNC game this year.

If you look up in this thread you'll find a post of me making fun of myself because I called it ridiculous how excited I am for this game. Zion's just a magnet for goodness.

That 9:30 issue is why we have DVR's.

Or in my case, insomnia! Comes in handy on a night like tonight or even last night where I can wait for my wife to go to sleep and and then watch the game. Then I get my 4-5 hours sleep and get up at 6am

Acymetric
01-22-2020, 07:46 PM
Has there been any indication as to how much he's going to play?

jacone21
01-22-2020, 08:43 PM
Has there been any indication as to how much he's going to play?

They said earlier that he wouldn't start and they were shooting for about 20 minutes PT. At least that's what I think I heard between the segments comparing him to LeBron, Tiger, and Gretzky. No pressure, Zion.

JNort
01-22-2020, 09:25 PM
Who all is gonna be watching tonight? Enough maybe for a live chat?

dukelifer
01-22-2020, 09:36 PM
Who all is gonna be watching tonight? Enough maybe for a live chat?

Watching

bundabergdevil
01-22-2020, 09:45 PM
They said earlier that he wouldn't start and they were shooting for about 20 minutes PT. At least that's what I think I heard between the segments comparing him to LeBron, Tiger, and Gretzky. No pressure, Zion.

He started.

jacone21
01-22-2020, 09:47 PM
He started.

Hmmmm. Maybe I misheard it.

AGDukesky
01-22-2020, 09:49 PM
Nice pass to Ingram for his first positive stat. Not surprisingly Zion looks less than sharp but is clearly being careful to start.

Pghdukie
01-22-2020, 10:06 PM
Zion looks happy to be on the court. He also has work to do to get into game shape. I think everyone knew not to expect too much tonight.

duke96
01-22-2020, 10:08 PM
Zion looks happy to be on the court. He also has work to do to get into game shape. I think everyone knew not to expect too much tonight.

Wonder if he’ll go back in at some point!

bundabergdevil
01-22-2020, 10:11 PM
Wonder if he’ll go back in at some point!

He played 4-5 minutes in the 1st; my guess is he'll do the same in 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

I also expect a Zion moment in the 2nd. :)

AZLA
01-22-2020, 10:14 PM
I suddenly like all Duke game announcers compared to these NBA clowns. Please make them stop. Oh wait, mute.

Acymetric
01-22-2020, 10:18 PM
Points! (And boards).

bundabergdevil
01-22-2020, 10:19 PM
Brave man taking that charge.

AGDukesky
01-22-2020, 10:20 PM
Points! (And boards).

His first basket was very Zion-like, fighting for an offensive board and laying it in

duketaylor
01-22-2020, 10:23 PM
he's clearly not in game shape, no surprise there, not very aggressive, looks to be 20 pounds heavier than last year and has less quickness. So, as should be expected, he'll need time to be the Zion we know and love. The smile is still infectious;)!! Give me 2 weeks or so, then we can revisit his conditioning and performance. He did just score his first 2 NBA regular season points!! GO ZION and INGRAM!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
01-22-2020, 10:28 PM
ESPN managed to find an announce team that never so much as saw a minute of Zion in college.....way to go ESPN.

Tooold
01-22-2020, 10:33 PM
ESPN managed to find an announce team that never so much as saw a minute of Zion in college....way to go ESPN.

Yet they can confidently say (or at least one of them did) that they would have taken JA Morant ahead of Zion in the draft.

DukieInKansas
01-22-2020, 10:42 PM
It may have been mentioned but WatchESPN has a Zion Cam channel. He is currently sitting on the bench - but he isn't meditating.

bundabergdevil
01-22-2020, 11:07 PM
It'd be nice if they ran a couple of plays for the big fella. Let him post up or something. Had a couple of bad turnovers that'll go away once he gets back comfortable with game speed.

He also seems to have a little hitch in his giddy-up and favors that knee. Maybe the wrap or brace he has on it is constricting.

Tooold
01-22-2020, 11:25 PM
He also seems to have a little hitch in his giddy-up and favors that knee. Maybe the wrap or brace he has on it is constricting.

I noticed that too. I was worried that he hurt his knee when he was called for the charge.

bundabergdevil
01-22-2020, 11:32 PM
I noticed that too. I was worried that he hurt his knee when he was called for the charge.

They put him on the bike when he came out in the 3rd but he's out there to start the 4th now. Missed on his favorite spin move...

robed deity
01-22-2020, 11:43 PM
There it is.

AtlBluRew
Tune in! Zion’s on a tear in the 4th.

bundabergdevil
Zion just scored 13 straight points in about a minute!

Edit: 16.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-22-2020, 11:45 PM
Holy smokes. 4-4 from 3.

duke4ever19
01-22-2020, 11:46 PM
HOLY COWWWWWW

Mama, there goes that man . . .

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Hahaha MVP chants.

bundabergdevil
Just like that he went to 22 points and is now the leading Pels scorer. Bet you they sit him at this time out though...

Duke79UNLV77
01-22-2020, 11:47 PM
Will be interesting to see what he can do when he gets in shape!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Oh lawd, he comin...

CameronBornAndBred
LOL at them taking Zion's sub back from the scorer's table

Kfanarmy
That's was an amaZing burst by Zion
Wow!

Just like that Pels in the game!

SouthernDukie
01-22-2020, 11:48 PM
Incredible!!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-22-2020, 11:48 PM
https://i.redd.it/yu0abdiv65z11.png

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-22-2020, 11:50 PM
17 points in three minutes

duke4ever19
I just woke up the whole damn neighborhood with my yelling. Now I'm about to yell at Gentry for even thinking of sitting him.

dukelion
Sweet lord above.....that was ridiculous

bundabergdevil
01-22-2020, 11:52 PM
JJ better learn to dunk, he may be feeling some job insecurity after Zion drops 4 straight 3s... :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-22-2020, 11:53 PM
I'm sorry, that is insane. Who is this alien?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-22-2020, 11:54 PM
17 points in three minutes. Do the math over 48 minutes...

Duke79UNLV77
01-22-2020, 11:56 PM
Who had Zion leading the league in 3-point percentage this far into the season?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-22-2020, 11:56 PM
You don't put him in???

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-22-2020, 11:57 PM
I get load management, whatever, but why do you not put Zion in?

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2020, 11:58 PM

$$$$$$$$

dukelion
01-23-2020, 12:02 AM

Grand scheme this game doesn't mean much......17 points in 3 mins after 4 months off is essentially a win for the franchise.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-23-2020, 12:03 AM
Grand scheme this game doesn't mean much...17 points in 3 mins after 4 months off is essentially a win for the franchise.

Yeah, but five more minutes could have meant an actual win for the franchise.

TheOldBattleship
01-23-2020, 12:10 AM
OH MAN. I haven't been able to get on the board here in a long time, but I had to for this. As it always seems to be with Zion, that was an EXPERIENCE. Somehow, that stretch he had in the fourth made the entire game (which was otherwise a bit of a snooze fest) just completely electric. For those who didn't see live (or just want to chase that feeling), here's the full sequence (https://streamable.com/3cm90).

Glad Zion's back, that's for sure. Basketball generally is just way more fun with Zion playing.

BigZ
01-23-2020, 12:17 AM
As awesome as this was it makes not winning the natty last year even worse.

heyman25
01-23-2020, 12:23 AM
WHAT A FRIGGIN DEBUT! Tim Legler nailed the post game analysis on ESPN. Glad I got to see this. I hope Zion has a injury free NBA Career. It was kind of like The Beatles debut on the Ed Sullivan Show. You heard the hype and then it goes way beyond our wildest dreams.

BigZ
01-23-2020, 12:26 AM
Any chance we ever see Zion, JJ, Frank, BI and Oak on the court together?

brevity
Sometimes I think the Elias Sports Bureau consists of two interns in a trailer powered by a hamster at the wheel, but here you go.

Barnstormer
Spectacular- I just hope that he doesn’t get hurt

TheOldBattleship
01-23-2020, 12:52 AM
Any chance we ever see Zion, JJ, Frank, BI and Oak on the court together?

Well, slim, but not 0, I think. So far this year, JJ, Frank, Ingram, and Okafor have played together for 1.7 minutes spread across two games, according to NBA.com's lineup stats.

If this were to ever happen, it would likely have to be a game where the Pels were low on both centers and guards for whatever reason. But it's not completely crazy size-wise, at least. Zion and Okafor might have a bit of trouble spacing-wise offensively, and, while Zion is still relatively out of shape and learning the defensive scheme, it would be a complete calamity defensively, but it would also be extremely awesome conceptually, so I think Gentry should just go for it.

BD80
01-23-2020, 02:16 AM
Yet they can confidently say (or at least one of them did) that they would have taken JA Morant ahead of Zion in the draft.

Did that tune change at all in the 4th?

JetpackJesus
01-23-2020, 02:19 AM
Who had Zion leading the league in 3-point percentage this far into the season?
A regular Marshal Plumlee!

wavedukefan70s
01-23-2020, 06:28 AM
Absolutely didnt see that coming.i expected zion to be zion but .those threes smh .wow

fuse
01-23-2020, 06:55 AM
I only watched the highlights this morning. Just....wow.

Wishing him a long, healthy, successful career.
I wonder what it would be like to have a simple five minute conversation with him; the positive energy he radiates is so strong it even leaps through the TV.

dukelifer
01-23-2020, 07:05 AM
I only watched the highlights this morning. Just...wow.

Wishing him a long, healthy, successful career.
I wonder what it would be like to have a simple five minute conversation with him; the positive energy he radiates is so strong it even leaps through the TV.

Only Zion would have a debut like that- crazy. Too bad they lost. Hopefully they will work him into the rotation.

moonpie23
01-23-2020, 07:06 AM
Dannnnnnggggit. I turned it off and went to bed at the end of the 3rd ! Grrrrrrrr..

Unbelievable

OZZIE4DUKE
01-23-2020, 07:31 AM
Dannnnnnggggit. I turned it off and went to bed at the end of the 3rd ! Grrrrrrrr..

UnbelievableGood morning. We watched the first half of Zion’s game last night and then went to sleep, glad he played but not very Zion like. I got back up 40 minutes later and turned the game back on. OMG! Zion had a magic 4 minutes! 17 points, including four 3’s and a beautiful lob conversion layup! The world saw what Zion is all about in those 4 minutes! Wish he was still at Duke..... http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/57.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-23-2020, 07:37 AM
Only Zion would have a debut like that- crazy. Too bad they lost. Hopefully they will work him into the rotation.
According to Gentry it was the medical staff dictating his minutes. Despite them saying there would be no minute restrictions, they are obviously taking a measured approach - as they should. But, yes, just wow.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-23-2020, 07:41 AM
Absolutely didnt see that coming.i expected zion to be zion but .those threes smh .wow
They asked him about it in the post-game presser and he said that he spent a lot of time shooting set shots before he was allowed to run again and that it must have helped.

Duke76
01-23-2020, 07:41 AM
ESPN managed to find an announce team that never so much as saw a minute of Zion in college....way to go ESPN.

Yea...Mark jackson says in the 1st 2nd and 3rd quarter something to the effect of "I just want Zion to lose some weight and get in shape...it will take him awhile but I think he will".....talk about a time warp, could swear Z musta lost 10 pounds and got in shape in 15 mins.

Duke76
01-23-2020, 07:52 AM

Unbelievable

I was just about to do the same and my wife always take a long time doing I don't know what to come to bed so I knew I had some time...turned it back on and I swear my reactions in that 3 minute span was like when Jack Nicklaus won the Masters in 1986....I was screaming so loud last night my wife kick me out of bed and had to finish the game in living room...taped midnight sports center and the 7 and 8:am segments as well.

best twitter so far is Andre Dawkins..."Listen I don’t wanna overreact but Zion is the greatest player of all time."...https://twitter.com/dre_dawkins/status/1220205547699523584?s=20 by the way just starting following him...should have awhile ago...this young man is gonna make a name for himself in business somehow...not sure exactly what he is doing but he made me cry a number of times too on K court...to me, he had a top 5 stroke at Cameron.

subzero02
01-23-2020, 08:18 AM
So I started streaming the game just before Zion's 4th quarter offensive explosion; I couldn't get the regular feed to work so I watched the "Zion Cam" . It was pretty cool and will undoubtedly be a regular feature for games shown on ESPN that feature the phenom. The camera stayed on him the entire time and even followed his reactions on the bench instead of showing the live action on the court. One thing that was quite apparent is that Zion"s defensive effort suffered due to conditioning issues; he was moving pretty sluggishly on that end of the floor.

bullettoothtony
01-23-2020, 08:23 AM
1st player with 20 points (22), 7 rebounds and 4 three-pointers in under 20 minutes in NBA history.

weezie
01-23-2020, 08:36 AM
I'm sure the sports world was anxious watching him at the outset of the game. I sure was. Having had that same surgery and a couple of other knee procedures, I zeroed in on the heavily wrapped leg. Geeeeesh made me nervous for him. He also seems to have markedly altered his running, less toe first and more even as the foot coming down. I have a feeling the knee is a bit stretched and tender today but those doctors sure know their stuff.

I told my son to get on the interwebs for tickets to pelicans @ wizards.

Fly Zion, fly!

BD80
01-23-2020, 09:16 AM
So the injury story was just a ruse to allow Zion more time to work on his three pointer and now allows the Pels to "unveil" Zion in limited doses?

It gave the young core a chance to coalesce under a veteran coach with little pressure and out of the spotlight. Zion avoids hitting the freshman "wall."

Great publicity strategy. Probably maxed ticket sales for the season for every NO game, home and away. Got the Pels on TV the rest of the season.

still looking for the sarcasm emoji

mattman91
01-23-2020, 09:39 AM
This was great, but they were leaving him WIDE OPEN from 3. Regardless, so happy for the kid.

CameronBlue
01-23-2020, 09:46 AM
he had a top 5 stroke at Cameron.

My wife says if I don't lay off the Scotch I'm going to have a Top 5 stroke, but seriously how do you compile such a list? Statistics, body mechanics/kinetics..? Here would be a few of my candidates:

JJ (of course)
Andre Dawkins
Billy McCaffrey
Johnny Dawkins
Bob Verga (a guess since I don't have memories of him playing though I was alive at the time)

moonpie23
01-23-2020, 09:59 AM
i would fire the nutrition coach....they've had PLENTY of time to trim him down.....

jv001
01-23-2020, 10:00 AM
I'm sure the sports world was anxious watching him at the outset of the game. I sure was. Having had that same surgery and a couple of other knee procedures, I zeroed in on the heavily wrapped leg. Geeeeesh made me nervous for him. He also seems to have markedly altered his running, less toe first and more even as the foot coming down. I have a feeling the knee is a bit stretched and tender today but those doctors sure know their stuff.

I told my son to get on the interwebs for tickets to pelicans @ wizards.

Fly Zion, fly!

I didn't watch the entire game, but did it look like Z was limping or favoring his injured leg/knee. It looked that way to me. We are blessed Blue Devil fans to have witnessed this young man play basketball at Duke University. I pray he can stay healthy and will some day make every one(except cheat fans) forget about MJ. I'm hoping ESPN has a replay of this game soon. GoDuke and GoZion!!!

Duke76
01-23-2020, 10:05 AM
My wife says if I don't lay off the Scotch I'm going to have a Top 5 stroke, but seriously how do you compile such a list? Statistics, body mechanics/kinetics..? Here would be a few of my candidates:

JJ (of course)
Andre Dawkins
Billy McCaffrey
Johnny Dawkins
Bob Verga (a guess since I don't have memories of him playing though I was alive at the time)

Verga was great...but he had that awkward shot hands high behind his head

would add
Dunleavy
Tate Armstrong

jv001
01-23-2020, 10:09 AM

would add
Dunleavy
Tate Armstrong

Tate Armstrong...what might have been!! He will always be one of my all-time favorite Duke players.

GoDuke!

SouthernDukie
01-23-2020, 10:13 AM
I didn't watch the entire game, but did it look like Z was limping or favoring his injured leg/knee. It looked that way to me. We are blessed Blue Devil fans to have witnessed this young man play basketball at Duke University. I pray he can stay healthy and will some day make every one(except cheat fans) forget about MJ. I'm hoping ESPN has a replay of this game soon. GoDuke and GoZion!!!

I watched every minute of the game and agree that Zion did seem to be favoring the leg all night long. It wasn't something that began after he had been in the game, it was there from the start. My hope is that it's simply a function of the Pel's new "walking, jumping, landing" protocol with him and not a sign of any lingering problems.

The 4th quarter dominant spurt was a thing of absolute beauty. As we saw at Duke and in preseason, he's the real deal and will be a superstar. The only sad part is that New Orleans didn't when the game. And it had nothing to do with Zion - unless his return affected the entire team and they were all nervous. Actually, they all played nervous for large portions of the game so who knows. But the NBA motto that "Its a make or miss league" was on full display last night. The Spurs shot the ball (from deep and in the post) at an incredible clip, and the Pelicans couldn't throw it in the ocean for most of the night (except for Zion!!!). They could have easily won that game, but Ingram and company were as off as I've seen them all season, and I've watched at least a dozen of their games this year even without Z.

Here's hoping Zion and the Pelicans can make a playoff push and get in. Imagine how much fun it would be to see the Pelicans against the Lakers or Clippers in the 1st round. I'd love it!

jv001
01-23-2020, 10:20 AM
I watched every minute of the game and agree that Zion did seem to be favoring the leg all night long. It wasn't something that began after he had been in the game, it was there from the start. My hope is that it's simply a function of the Pel's new "walking, jumping, landing" protocol with him and not a sign of any lingering problems.

The 4th quarter dominant spurt was a thing of absolute beauty. As we saw at Duke and in preseason, he's the real deal and will be a superstar. The only sad part is that New Orleans didn't when the game. And it had nothing to do with Zion - unless his return affected the entire team and they were all nervous. Actually, they all played nervous for large portions of the game so who knows. But the NBA motto that "Its a make or miss league" was on full display last night. The Spurs shot the ball (from deep and in the post) at an incredible clip, and the Pelicans couldn't throw it in the ocean for most of the night (except for Zion!!!). They could have easily won that game, but Ingram and company were as off as I've seen them all season, and I've watched at least a dozen of their games this year even without Z.

Here's hoping Zion and the Pelicans can make a playoff push and get in. Imagine how much fun it would be to see the Pelicans against the Lakers or Clippers in the 1st round. I'd love it!

Thanks for that info on Zion favoring that leg. I imagine the entire Pelican team was a little nervous with all the attention to Zion playing his first NBA game. I expect the next few games will get every player on the same page and the nerves will be gone. I just hope Zion is fully healed and he has no setbacks. He can be a superstar if he's healthy and those Pelican fans will be super thrilled. Love all the Duke guys on that team. I might just get back to watching NBA games more often.

GoDuke!

Acymetric
01-23-2020, 10:27 AM
I didn't think he was favoring the leg. He's always had a weird gait, which is what I think people are seeing. Kind of reminds me of Jax from Sons of Anarchy.

bundabergdevil
01-23-2020, 10:31 AM
Thanks for that info on Zion favoring that leg. I imagine the entire Pelican team was a little nervous with all the attention to Zion playing his first NBA game. I expect the next few games will get every player on the same page and the nerves will be gone. I just hope Zion is fully healed and he has no setbacks. He can be a superstar if he's healthy and those Pelican fans will be super thrilled. Love all the Duke guys on that team. I might just get back to watching NBA games more often.

GoDuke!

There’s been a lot of post mortem on Lebron’s first Cavs team and how a number of the vets were resentful or jealous of Lebron’s hype. I can imagine something similar happening here. It’s not Zion’s fault but the hype was ridiculous. Zion’s very down to earth and friendly, he’s also surrounded by guys like JJ who are in his corner, so hopefully any potential jealousy doesn’t spill out. I could see a guy like BI, in the cusp of an all star season, being miffed by his new teammate generating so much attention.

Boy, Zion and BI are an odd looking pair. Like Mr Incredible and elastigirl.

jv001
01-23-2020, 10:35 AM
There’s been a lot of post mortem on Lebron’s first Cavs team and how a number of the vets were resentful or jealous of Lebron’s hype. I can imagine something similar happening here. It’s not Zion’s fault but the hype was ridiculous. Zion’s very down to earth and friendly, he’s also surrounded by guys like JJ who are in his corner, so hopefully any potential jealousy doesn’t spill out. I could see a guy like BI, in the cusp of an all star season, being miffed by his new teammate generating so much attention.

Boy, Zion and BI are an odd looking pair. Like Mr Incredible and elastigirl.

You could be right and there might be some resentment from some of his team mates but I just can't see anyone not liking Zion. If there's a Pelican that feels that way, he needs to lighten up.

GoDuke!

elvis14
01-23-2020, 10:49 AM
I don't have much to add other than adding myself to the list of posters who loved watching Zion last night. Didn't help my sleep much because I was jumping around like an idiot in the 4th quarter...looked at the clock 11:42. By the time I got calmed down and got to sleep it was after 1am (and naturally the foster puppy that we have right now goes berzerk barking and stuff and wakes me up at 3:45). Thank goodness for Zion and caffeine!

nmduke2001
01-23-2020, 10:52 AM

JJ (of course)
Andre Dawkins
Billy McCaffrey
Johnny Dawkins

would add
Dunleavy
Tate Armstrong

I know this is a Zion thread, and he had an incridible 4 minute stretch....but how can you have a list of best strokes at Duke and not include Trajan Langdon? Maybe he and JJ have been giving Zion shooting tips during their off time in New Orleans.

killerleft
01-23-2020, 11:00 AM
I didn't think he was favoring the leg. He's always had a weird gait, which is what I think people are seeing. Kind of reminds me of Jax from Sons of Anarchy.

This could be true. He runs and walks like a 3rd grader sometimes.

uh_no
01-23-2020, 11:00 AM
I know this is a Zion thread, and he had an incridible 4 minute stretch...but how can you have a list of best strokes at Duke and not include Trajan Langdon? Maybe he and JJ have been giving Zion shooting tips during their off time in New Orleans.

welll....different strokes for different folks...one might say.

kAzE
01-23-2020, 11:22 AM
Zion has now hit twice as many threes in his career as Ben Simmons has :D

BD80
01-23-2020, 11:26 AM

The NBA is considering roping off the seats behind the baselines for Sixers games to protect the fans ...

phaedrus
01-23-2020, 11:43 AM

On that theme, it's worth mentioning that last night JJ tied Kobe Bryant for 15th on the all-time three-pointers made list at 1827. With four more, JJ will pass Chauncey Billups at 14; he then needs 99 more to catch JR Smith. Zion should catch up by the end of the season.

JJ hit his 1827 threes in 4397 attempts (a rate of .416) in around 22,700 career minutes.

Kobe hit 1827 threes in 5546 attempts (a rate of .329) in 48,637 career minutes.

53n206
01-23-2020, 11:49 AM

I disagree. I watched closely and I thought he slightly favored the injured leg. Perhaps one of our rehab members will post on this.

Acymetric
01-23-2020, 11:54 AM
On that theme, it's worth mentioning that last night JJ tied Kobe Bryant for 15th on the all-time three-pointers made list at 1827. With four more, JJ will pass Chauncey Billups at 14; he then needs 99 more to catch JR Smith. Zion should catch up by the end of the season.

JJ hit his 1827 threes in 4397 attempts (a rate of .416) in around 22,700 career minutes.

Kobe hit 1827 threes in 5546 attempts (a rate of .329) in 48,637 career minutes.

I'm...kind of shocked JR Smith is so high on the list.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-23-2020, 11:59 AM
I disagree. I watched closely and I thought he slightly favored the injured leg. Perhaps one of our rehab members will post on this.
After all the care they’ve taken with him, it wouldn’t make a bit of sense for them to let him play if he was limping or favoring his leg even the slightest. I think you’re seeing something that’s not there.

weezie
01-23-2020, 12:17 PM
After watching the 4th quarter highlights again I wondered how hard it was for Zion to keep that serious NBA face during the run when we all know he wanted to flash that billion dollar smile.

In that sense, college is far more fun than the NBA.

bundabergdevil
01-23-2020, 12:19 PM
After all the care they’ve taken with him, it wouldn’t make a bit of sense for them to let him play if he was limping or favoring his leg even the slightest. I think you’re seeing something that’s not there.

Probably. I felt like I saw it too but attributed it to the brace or wrap he was wearing potentially constricting enough to change his movement. Or, just the oddity of having someone try to change the way you move creating unintended favoring.

Pghdukie
01-23-2020, 12:28 PM
Count me on the list of posters that didnt expect too much from Zion. I fell asleep in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Turned on the morning recaps and all I seen was Zion hi-lites. I watched in total disbelief the first time. Then total amazement the 2nd time.
When do the Pels play next ?

UrinalCake
01-23-2020, 12:33 PM
Watching the highlights doesn’t do justice to the atmosphere that was generated by his ridiculous run. The Pelicans coach kept bringing a big off the bench to the scorers table to sub in for Zion, but then Zion would hit a three and Gentry would tell the big to go back to the bench. That happened like three times. The crowd started chanting “MVP” and “We want Zion” after he exited the game.

I do feel like the hype detracted from his teammates, who were fighting through a tough game. They took the lead during Zion’s run, then lost it in the closing minutes. But the fans were giving more attention to Zion than to the actual play on the court. And of course ESPN spent more time showing him on the bench then commenting on the game. But I expect this will subside after he’s played a few games.

bundabergdevil
01-23-2020, 12:50 PM
ESPN has an article up providing ROY odds at different points this season. Interesting to see Zion bounce around before the injury, after the surgery, and now.

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/28545901/zion-williamson-rookie-year-odds-tracker

uh_no
01-23-2020, 12:57 PM
ESPN has an article up providing ROY odds at different points this season. Interesting to see Zion bounce around before the injury, after the surgery, and now.

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/28545901/zion-williamson-rookie-year-odds-tracker

I totally thought this was some Roy Williams shenanigans.

SouthernDukie
01-23-2020, 01:07 PM
Probably. I felt like I saw it too but attributed it to the brace or wrap he was wearing potentially constricting enough to change his movement. Or, just the oddity of having someone try to change the way you move creating unintended favoring.

That was my thought. Before I posted initially I almost added a point about his regular, albeit somewhat unusual, gate. This was more than that, but it was also something that I saw the entire game. I don’t think it’s that he’s still injured or even favoring it for any particular reason. I think its a combo of him coming off injury and being a tad unsure (which every human being does) added to him being conscious of the “new” walk/jump he’s being taught by the Pelican’s training staff. Being in the wrap probably contributed as well. But I am not at all implying he’s still hurt. No way did I see any indication of that.

OldPhiKap
01-23-2020, 01:08 PM
The NBA is considering roping off the seats behind the baselines for Sixers games to protect the fans ...

They need to do that at Kansas, too

BD80
01-23-2020, 01:38 PM
They need to do that at Kansas, too

Flying bricks, weaponized stool (sounds like bioterrorism!).

jimsumner
01-23-2020, 01:57 PM
I know this is a Zion thread, and he had an incridible 4 minute stretch...but how can you have a list of best strokes at Duke and not include Trajan Langdon? Maybe he and JJ have been giving Zion shooting tips during their off time in New Orleans.

What a strange sidebar.

Chip Engelland.

phaedrus
01-23-2020, 02:13 PM
I'm...kind of shocked JR Smith is so high on the list.

Entered the league at 19, played around 1000 games, and pretty steadily hit just under two threes per game. Consistency and reliability: the things JR is known for.

Acymetric
01-23-2020, 02:16 PM
Entered the league at 19, played around 1000 games, and pretty steadily hit just under two threes per game. Consistency and reliability: the things JR is known for.

Careful that LeBron doesn't hear you say that :p

Gooch
01-23-2020, 03:11 PM
I watched too...I couldn't keep my eyes off Zion when he was on the court. Then I realized how nervous I felt. Would Zion re-injure his knee? After a couple shaky turnovers...is twitter going to start bashing Zion? I was rooting for Zion like he's my own kid!

I noticed a few times when his athleticism covered over some mistakes: he skied for an amazing rebound but really should have boxed out and probably should have been called for over the back. He fumbled a pass on a cut to the basket, but figured out how to make the hoop anyway. I get the feeling he was itching to throw down one of his patented tomahawks and got ahead of himself. I can't imagine the fan reaction if that happened!

Sure he's a bit out of shape and he was lagging on defense, but he's only going to get better with a few more games under his belt...maybe not better than 4-4 on three-pointers in one quarter but less nervous and more in the flow of the game. Can't wait for the next game!

subzero02
01-23-2020, 03:14 PM

Thanks for sharing, although I really wish that ESPN had produced a less distorted graph. The distance between +400 and +800 is equal to the distance between -450 and +400 which is also equal to the distance between +800 and +1600.

kshepinthehouse
01-23-2020, 05:59 PM
You could be right and there might be some resentment from some of his team mates but I just can't see anyone not liking Zion. If there's a Pelican that feels that way, he needs to lighten up.

GoDuke!

Pay me a few million bucks to play basketball and I promise I won’t care if I’m in the lime light. Just keep those checks rollin and I’m happy!

Pghdukie
01-23-2020, 09:52 PM
Sir, or Madam; a few million isn't even minimum wage ? How are you going to afford you bar tab ?

plimnko
01-23-2020, 10:05 PM
Zion is back!! I can FINALLY use that NBA package.

fuse
01-24-2020, 06:27 AM
From today’s Morning Brew email:

The Doomsday Clock was moved to 100 seconds to midnight, meaning we’re closer than ever to annihilation. Zion Williamson, you’re our only hope.

If you are looking for an interesting read each morning check out Morning Brew subscription:

https://link.morningbrew.com/click/19246771.1097352/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubW9ybmluZ2JyZXcuY29tL2RhaWx5L3IvP2 tpZD0yMWZlYjFjNg/5da8d7bef543e66a7506933eBf1aad0b4

If you sign up via the link above I might even earn a free sticker ��

bundabergdevil
01-24-2020, 09:08 AM
Doesn't look like the Pels game is on TV tonight. Was hoping Zion fever would get a couple more of the regular games bumped in favor of the Pelicans.

SouthernDukie
01-24-2020, 09:29 AM
Doesn't look like the Pels game is on TV tonight. Was hoping Zion fever would get a couple more of the regular games bumped in favor of the Pelicans.

Isn't NBA League Pass free this week? Thought I read that somewhere. I'm hoping so because I pressed "record" on my DirectTV station that's supposed to air the game.

tbyers11
01-24-2020, 09:38 AM

If you download the Yahoo Sports app (my favorite scoreboard app BTW) they are currently having a free trial of NBA league pass. You don't have to sign up for a free trial (that you might ultimately forget to cancel) the games just appear when you click on the game in the Scoreboard.

During these periodic free trials any game that is not nationally or locally televised is watchable on the app. Including Nuggets-Pelicans tonight.

bundabergdevil
01-24-2020, 10:48 AM
If you download the Yahoo Sports app (my favorite scoreboard app BTW) they are currently having a free trial of NBA league pass. You don't have to sign up for a free trial (that you might ultimately forget to cancel) the games just appear when you click on the game in the Scoreboard.

During these periodic free trials any game that is not nationally or locally televised is watchable on the app. Including Nuggets-Pelicans tonight.

This is good to know info. Thanks!

jacone21
01-24-2020, 08:09 PM
The Pels Nuggets game is available free-view on 759 and 760 on Directv tonight.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-24-2020, 08:40 PM
The Pels Nuggets game is available free-view on 759 and 760 on Directv tonight.

Zion got the Pelican's first hoop tonight with his first dunk....on an alley oop.

bundabergdevil
01-24-2020, 08:50 PM
Supposedly the Pels sold a lot more season tickets when they picked Zion but right now Smoothie King arena has a surprising number of empty seats. I figured the first couple of games would have been sold out.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-24-2020, 08:58 PM
Supposedly the Pels sold a lot more season tickets when they picked Zion but right now Smoothie King arena has a surprising number of empty seats. I figured the first couple of games would have been sold out.

I'm sure it's sold out....NBA and NHL games often have empty seats first quarter....

bundabergdevil
01-24-2020, 09:13 PM
I'm sure it's sold out...NBA and NHL games often have empty seats first quarter...

Yeah, maybe the tickets are technically sold out but they just did a fan cam dance and there are entire rows in the upper sections completely empty. This was not long after Zion took his 2nd quarter breather. I read somewhere that tickets on the resale marketplaces jumped 1000% after Zion's announced return. Maybe the resale market needs to settle down and stabilize.

JetpackJesus
01-24-2020, 09:59 PM
I think Zion just blocked that ball into the upper level.

bundabergdevil
01-24-2020, 10:02 PM
I think Zion just blocked that ball into the upper level.

Just a pleasure to see him doing that sort of stuff again...now if the Pels could stop turning it over!

duke4ever19
01-24-2020, 10:11 PM
Zion's teammates completely wasted his 4th quarter minutes with some incredibly stupid turnovers.

JetpackJesus
01-24-2020, 10:22 PM
Zion's teammates completely wasted his 4th quarter minutes with some incredibly stupid turnovers.

The Pels would be up so much right now if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot so many times.

duke4ever19
01-24-2020, 10:23 PM
The Pels would be up so much right now if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot so many times.

Yep. Besides that 4th quarter, Zion on the floor = carving into the lead.

bundabergdevil
01-24-2020, 10:27 PM

Zion's a +16, the highest plus/minus of any player on either team this evening...by a lot. It's just 2 games but he's shooting 75%. I'm very curious to see if he's able to maintain his ridiculous efficiency over the course of a NBA season.

roywhite
01-24-2020, 10:28 PM

Yeah, +/- stats often don't tell the whole story, but Zion's +16 really stands out.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401161318

SkyBrickey
01-24-2020, 10:45 PM
Disappointed that he’s now down to 80% from 3 on the season...

JayZee
01-25-2020, 12:02 AM
2 games in his PER is over 38. Dude is ridiculous

Tooold
01-25-2020, 07:22 AM
I loved his hops in this game. The block was ridiculous, but also his quick bounce was on full display on offense and defense. Really fun to watch.

bundabergdevil
01-25-2020, 09:06 AM
They're doing a little Zion timeline on ESPN this morning. They flashed a video from 2014 of this lanky young guy saying he wasn't on any college radars. I almost couldn't believe it was Zion. The transformation he's gone through in the last 5 years is astonishing.

SouthernDukie
01-25-2020, 09:16 AM
It really is just a pleasure to watch Zion play when he's healthy. He's absolutely captivating and impossible to take your eyes off of (and yes, I'm a man and I clearly have a man crush).

Hated that both of his games back have been losses. Clearly not his fault at all, but losses nonetheless when the Pelicans are trying to claw their way back to that 8th spot. It will take the entire team playing lights out for the next 3 months if they are going to make up the ground they have lost and reach the postseason. Here's hoping they can get in a groove and make it happen.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-25-2020, 09:24 AM
It really is just a pleasure to watch Zion play when he's healthy. He's absolutely captivating and impossible to take your eyes off of (and yes, I'm a man and I clearly have a man crush).

Hated that both of his games back have been losses. Clearly not his fault at all, but losses nonetheless when the Pelicans are trying to claw their way back to that 8th spot. It will take the entire team playing lights out for the next 3 months if they are going to make up the ground they have lost and reach the postseason. Here's hoping they can get in a groove and make it happen.

All they need is for Zion to be able to go 30+ minutes......have you seen his plus/minus? Pelicans win while he's in there.....they lose when he's not. He was +16 last night IN A LOSS. That's unheard of. Meanwhile, our boy JJ, was -23......even as he was scoring. Mind boggling.

jv001
01-25-2020, 09:44 AM
All they need is for Zion to be able to go 30+ minutes...have you seen his plus/minus? Pelicans win while he's in there....they lose when he's not. He was +16 last night IN A LOSS. That's unheard of. Meanwhile, our boy JJ, was -23...even as he was scoring. Mind boggling.

The +/- is not my favorite metric of how well a player performed. Like last nights game. It seemed to be on point with Zion but way off on JJ.

GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
01-25-2020, 01:27 PM
The +/- is not my favorite metric of how well a player performed. Like last nights game. It seemed to be on point with Zion but way off on JJ.

GoDuke!

It's not really so much reflection of how a single player performs, as much as it is a measurement of how the whole team performs when a given player is in the game. In the short run, it can certainly be misleading....but over time, it is a valid measurement (not counting mop up minute players only.....). Zion was great +/- at Duke, and when you look at his offensive efficiency and his rebounding/shot blocking...it makes sense that he's a very valuable +/- player. When Zion can play 30-36 minutes, the Pels will be much better.

duke4ever19
01-25-2020, 01:44 PM
It's not really so much reflection of how a single player performs, as much as it is a measurement of how the whole team performs when a given player is in the game. In the short run, it can certainly be misleading...but over time, it is a valid measurement (not counting mop up minute players only....). Zion was great +/- at Duke, and when you look at his offensive efficiency and his rebounding/shot blocking...it makes sense that he's a very valuable +/- player. When Zion can play 30-36 minutes, the Pels will be much better.

I agree. People try to either validate or invalidate certain metrics if they seem even a little bit unreliable, but I think it's better to see something like +/- as part of a collection of somewhat flawed metrics that can come together to tell a broader story that is more accurate than any one of its parts.

sagegrouse
01-25-2020, 02:00 PM
It's not really so much reflection of how a single player performs, as much as it is a measurement of how the whole team performs when a given player is in the game. In the short run, it can certainly be misleading...but over time, it is a valid measurement (not counting mop up minute players only....). Zion was great +/- at Duke, and when you look at his offensive efficiency and his rebounding/shot blocking...it makes sense that he's a very valuable +/- player. When Zion can play 30-36 minutes, the Pels will be much better.

I am far too busy these days, but Kedsy has lots of time to give you examples of how the +/- can be misleading on a season-long basis. Hint: it may have to do with "pattern substitution."

HereBeforeCoachK
01-25-2020, 03:08 PM
I am far too busy these days, but Kedsy has lots of time to give you examples of how the +/- can be misleading on a season-long basis. Hint: it may have to do with "pattern substitution."

Are you really trying to say it's not part of a valid metric? For that matter, final scores can be invalid because sometimes the team that plays the best loses. But it's valid over time.
If Kedsy will be honest about it, EVERY SINGLE METRIC ever devised "can be" misleading....including +/-. Also, like every metric ever devised, it is more valid with a larger sample size. I would also add that the +/- with Zion also matches the eye test. And FTR, pattern substitution is not applicable in this case, not so far.

sagegrouse
01-25-2020, 03:21 PM
Are you really trying to say it's not part of a valid metric? For that matter, final scores can be invalid because sometimes the team that plays the best loses. But it's valid over time.
If Kedsy will be honest about it, EVERY SINGLE METRIC ever devised "can be" misleading...including +/-. Also, like every metric ever devised, it is more valid with a larger sample size. I would also add that the +/- with Zion also matches the eye test. And FTR, pattern substitution is not applicable in this case, not so far.

You were the one extolling the virtures of +/- as a "valid" long-term measure. Now, (a) you are saying that final scores can be "invalid" measures and (b) you are attacking Kedsy rather than me. I don't think Kedsy is even reading this thread.

Don't worry -- I'm just pulling your chain.

Bluedog
01-25-2020, 03:26 PM
I think kenpom had a blog post about +/- a few years ago. He had a hypothetical player that was neutral as far as likelihood of his team scoring and the other team, and ran it through his magical simulation algorithms to see how much variance there was. His conclusion was that it's deeply flawed and not telling at all for a single game. For a season long in college, it was a bit useful but also subject to a good deal of randomness. For the NBA season long sample size, it finally started to show something.

bundabergdevil
01-25-2020, 05:36 PM
Any Golf Digest readers on this board will have to say if it’s normal for GD to publish articles on individual plays from sports that are not golf. I found this Zion article amusing:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/zion-williamson-swatted-some-dudes-shot-to-the-moon

Tripping William
01-25-2020, 06:47 PM
Any Golf Digest readers on this board will have to say if it’s normal for GD to publish articles on individual plays from sports that are not golf. I found this Zion article amusing:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/zion-williamson-swatted-some-dudes-shot-to-the-moon

Nope.

BandAlum83
01-26-2020, 12:28 PM

JJ (of course)
Andre Dawkins
Billy McCaffrey
Johnny Dawkins

I would put The Alaskan Assassin on that list and maybe take Johnny off. I don’t think of him as a shooter, but a scorer.

But that’s just one man’s opinion.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-26-2020, 01:26 PM
I would put The Alaskan Assassin on that list and maybe take Johnny off. I don’t think of him as a shooter, but a scorer.

But that’s just one man’s opinion.

That's at least two men's opinions......and indeed, Verga has to be on there. I've no ability to comment on Groat.

sagegrouse
01-26-2020, 01:43 PM
That's at least two men's opinions...and indeed, Verga has to be on there. I've no ability to comment on Groat.

The legends were Verga, Trajan and JJ. Bill McC. shot well after he left Duke -- doesn't count. Bobby Hurley shot over 40 percent -- and it was WHEN he made the shots. Maybe Tate Armstrong, who shot over 50 percent before the three-point era. Andre was not a star.

bundabergdevil
01-26-2020, 07:37 PM
Tough to get geeked out over Zion given the pall over the sports world this evening.

Zion playing a bit more and going to have a tough time going 3-3 shooting 70%+. At 4-10 now...

npdevil27
01-26-2020, 07:38 PM
FT shooting a bit of an issue. If he doesn’t pick it up I could see Hack a Zion becoming a thing.

bundabergdevil
01-26-2020, 07:51 PM
Dude blew his shoe again. Well, list it anyway.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-26-2020, 07:58 PM
Dude blew his shoe again. Well, list it anyway.
Yeah, I’m guessing a bunch of Nike execs just blew their dinner.

fuse
01-26-2020, 08:26 PM
While I doubt Nike wants a “competing brand” on their shoe, have to wonder if something like Boa laces might be a good addition for Zion.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-26-2020, 08:32 PM
The legends were Verga, Trajan and JJ. Bill McC. shot well after he left Duke -- doesn't count. Bobby Hurley shot over 40 percent -- and it was WHEN he made the shots. Maybe Tate Armstrong, who shot over 50 percent before the three-point era. Andre was not a star.

I forgot Tate.....the 3 would've been great for him...

duke4ever19
01-26-2020, 08:44 PM
Good to see Zion on the court to finish the game. Made his free throws late (finally) and got some high-percentage shots in the paint.

bundabergdevil
01-26-2020, 08:48 PM
Good to see Zion on the court to finish the game. Made his free throws late (finally) and got some high-percentage shots in the paint.

Yep. Pels get their first win of the Zion era, he gets his first double double and finishes the game.

DukieInBrasil
01-26-2020, 08:48 PM
Zion owned the end of the game. His contributions were numerous and helped seal the win.

ice-9
01-26-2020, 09:10 PM
Pels are experimenting with Zion at the 5 on both offense and defense, and IMO while this can work in niche scenarios it's not optimal.

Zion on offense has always been best when in motion. He's like X-Men's Juggernaut, once he gets going he is very tough to stop. And he's a good enough playmaker that even when he can be stopped he will make the right pass.

The Pelican offense when he's in the game is not motion in poetry, it's like jagged starts and stops. They ask him to catch the ball in the post like a center -- not to playmake like sometimes at Duke but to score like a center. Zion can be successful at times this way but it's relatively low percentage (for him) when matched up against real NBA centers. His skill and athleticism advantage are most potent when he's going, not when he's stationary.

Part of it is that the team hasn't really adjusted to Zion. They seem passive when he's in the game. The passing is tentative and over-thought as opposed to instinctual. I'm sure this will come in time; we saw at Duke (and in the NBA preseason) that Zion is an amazing passer and receiver but this hasn't translated yet in the regular season.

His foul shooting needs to be way better -- 3/8 is unacceptable. With the way Zion attacks, he's going to get hacked a lot and he can make a living on the foul line. On most things, Zion has an excuse with his being a rookie and having been injured, but there's no excuse for poor foul shooting.

Defensively the Pelicans are exposed with Zion and Ingram and no real center; neither are able to effectively defend the pick and roll or variations designed to get opposing guards the layup. The Celtics attacked them relentlessly with success. Zion can play 5 on offense but on defense he's a liability there.

The ideal typical team composition for Zion is at the 4 playing with mobile teammates who can shoot and a strong defender at the 5. So maybe Ball, Holiday, Ingram, Zion and Favours.

The other thing I noticed is that Zion doesn't seem to be playing with joy the way he did at Duke. He's not smiling much. Most of the time he looks frustrated with the turnovers and fouls. He looks tentative; like he's over-thinking things vs. playing with instinct. He needs to rediscover that joy and that will translate into more consistent energy and focus on both ends of the court.

All of the above makes it sound like Zion had a terrible game, but he finished with 21 points (56% shooting), 11 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal. That's pretty good. But watching him play I just know he could have done so much better. That's great news for the Pelicans and I hope they won't settle for how they're using Zion right now.

Saratoga2
01-26-2020, 09:22 PM
Pels are experimenting with Zion at the 5 on both offense and defense, and IMO while this can work in niche scenarios it's not optimal.

Zion on offense has always been best when in motion. He's like X-Men's Juggernaut, once he gets going he is very tough to stop. And he's a good enough playmaker that even when he can be stopped he will make the right pass.

The Pelican offense when he's in the game is not motion in poetry, it's like jagged starts and stops. They ask him to catch the ball in the post like a center -- not to playmake like sometimes at Duke but to score like a center. Zion can be successful at times this way but it's relatively low percentage (for him) when matched up against real NBA centers. His skill and athleticism advantage are most potent when he's going, not when he's stationary.

Part of it is that the team hasn't really adjusted to Zion. They seem passive when he's in the game. The passing is tentative and over-thought as opposed to instinctual. I'm sure this will come in time; we saw at Duke (and in the NBA preseason) that Zion is an amazing passer and receiver but this hasn't translated yet in the regular season.

His foul shooting needs to be way better -- 3/8 is unacceptable. With the way Zion attacks, he's going to get hacked a lot and he can make a living on the foul line. On most things, Zion has an excuse with his being a rookie and having been injured, but there's no excuse for poor foul shooting.

Defensively the Pelicans are exposed with Zion and Ingram and no real center; neither are able to effectively defend the pick and roll or variations designed to get opposing guards the layup. The Celtics attacked them relentlessly with success. Zion can play 5 on offense but on defense he's a liability there.

The ideal typical team composition for Zion is at the 4 playing with mobile teammates who can shoot and a strong defender at the 5. So maybe Ball, Holiday, Ingram, Zion and Favours.

The other thing I noticed is that Zion doesn't seem to be playing with joy the way he did at Duke. He's not smiling much. Most of the time he looks frustrated with the turnovers and fouls. He looks tentative; like he's over-thinking things vs. playing with instinct. He needs to rediscover that joy and that will translate into more consistent energy and focus on both ends of the court.

All of the above makes it sound like Zion had a terrible game, but he finished with 21 points (56% shooting), 11 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal. That's pretty good. But watching him play I just know he could have done so much better. That's great news for the Pelicans and I hope they won't settle for how they're using Zion right now.

I agree with what you point out. Zion had his moments and wound up with 21 pts 11 rebounds. Considering the 28 minutes played, the numbers are good and he is a force at times but is also a rookie with turnovers, difficulty guarding a quck experienced player and he needs to work on his foul shooting. Stilll, this is only his 3rd game after a long layoff and I expect he will progress and they figure out how to utilize him in the optimum way. Love to watch him play.

BigZ
01-26-2020, 11:21 PM
His PER would be 2nd in the league behind Greek Freak

Gooch
01-27-2020, 05:59 AM
I agree with what you point out. Zion had his moments and wound up with 21 pts 11 rebounds. Considering the 28 minutes played, the numbers are good and he is a force at times but is also a rookie with turnovers, difficulty guarding a quck experienced player and he needs to work on his foul shooting. Stilll, this is only his 3rd game after a long layoff and I expect he will progress and they figure out how to utilize him in the optimum way. Love to watch him play.

Agree here and with ice-9 above. Zion was a force inside, especially with his insane second jumps. Overall the game was frustrating to watch with little flow on the Pelican’s offense and so many unforced turnovers.

I hope Zion’s defense improves as he shakes off the rust. The Celtics drove right at him many times and got easy looks at the rim. Maybe that is a problem with the Pelicans lack of rim protection (although Favors had a couple sweet blocks) or help D vs Zion’s individual defense.

Regardless, I still get that anticipatory feeling every time Zion touches the ball. Appointment viewing for sure!

BD80
01-27-2020, 09:55 AM

The Pelican offense when he's in the game is not motion in poetry, ...

Makes me picture Sidney Crosby reciting Robert Frost as he glides down the wing ...

wavedukefan70s
01-27-2020, 08:09 PM
As good as we all know he is .i have this feeling he may end up being in the discussion of Goat.

uh_no
01-27-2020, 09:48 PM
As good as we all know he is .i have this feeling he may end up being in the discussion of Goat.

after 3 games? :D

Staying healthy is a huge part of it.

ndkjr70
01-27-2020, 10:49 PM

I don’t think he’ll ever get there — barely anyone does, and I don’t think someone who weighs that much with that much jumping ability will have the longevity to actually put up the cumulative stats required of entering that discussion.

But after 3 games, with the eye test and just how easy the game looks for him already, I think there’s a few MVPs in his future.

A legacy like Wade or Nowitski or Nash seems possible. An undisputed top player in the history of the game but nowhere near entering the James/Jordan/Wilt/Kobe discussions.

wavedukefan70s
01-28-2020, 02:49 PM
I don’t think he’ll ever get there — barely anyone does, and I don’t think someone who weighs that much with that much jumping ability will have the longevity to actually put up the cumulative stats required of entering that discussion.

But after 3 games, with the eye test and just how easy the game looks for him already, I think there’s a few MVPs in his future.

A legacy like Wade or Nowitski or Nash seems possible. An undisputed top player in the history of the game but nowhere near entering the James/Jordan/Wilt/Kobe discussions.

If hes just scratching the surface of his ability .health aside i believe its not out of the realm of possibility.ofcourse theres a long way to go.i could see him in that list .

No one has ever done that at his size.someone has to be the first.

DukieInBrasil
01-28-2020, 03:04 PM

after 3 games? :D

Staying healthy is a huge part of it.

If hes just scratching the surface of his ability .health aside i believe its not out of the realm of possibility.ofcourse theres a long way to go.i could see him in that list .

No one has ever done that at his size.someone has to be the first.

This is kinda insane, and also an insanely insane amount of pressure to be putting on a teenager who has just 3 games on his resume. Yes, his talent is phenomenal. Yes, his skill level is advanced for a kid. Yes, if EVERYTHING breaks the right way for him over at least the next 10-15 years he could be in that discussion. But the insanely insane insanity of putting him even on the periphery of the g..t discussion is probably more destructive than simply casual conjecture. It is setting him up for failure, b/c insanely insane expectations are being created for him. He went from being a mostly overlooked, somewhat scrawny HS Fr. to in the g..t discussion in 5 years? Come on, let's not do this to him.
Zion seems to enjoy the game, and hopefully he'll be able to ignore these insane discussions for many more years to come.

Acymetric
01-28-2020, 03:11 PM
This is kinda insane, and also an insanely insane amount of pressure to be putting on a teenager who has just 3 games on his resume. Yes, his talent is phenomenal. Yes, his skill level is advanced for a kid. Yes, if EVERYTHING breaks the right way for him over at least the next 10-15 years he could be in that discussion. But the insanely insane insanity of putting him even on the periphery of the g..t discussion is probably more destructive than simply casual conjecture. It is setting him up for failure, b/c insanely insane expectations are being created for him. He went from being a mostly overlooked, somewhat scrawny HS Fr. to in the g..t discussion in 5 years? Come on, let's not do this to him.
Zion seems to enjoy the game, and hopefully he'll be able to ignore these insane discussions for many more years to come.

Oh whatever. We have this conversation with practically every young, budding star in pro sports. Nothing wrong with having it again with this one.

Steven43
01-28-2020, 03:12 PM
While I mostly agree with what you are saying, do you really think Zion is reading this DBR discussion? I’d say there is a 99.9% chance he is not. And if he is not, how could our discussion be “setting him up for failure”? Not to worry, DIB, Zion is almost surely completely unaffected by anything we discuss.

BD80
01-28-2020, 03:18 PM
While I mostly agree with what you are saying, do you really think Zion is reading this DBR discussion? I’d say there is a 99.9% chance he is not. ...

But I hear his girlfriend's girlfriend dated a guy whose uncle works with someone who posted here a year or two ago!

Steven43
01-28-2020, 03:25 PM
But I hear his girlfriend's girlfriend dated a guy whose uncle works with someone who posted here a year or two ago!

Hmm 🤔, well, BD80, that potentially changes things just a bit. I might (is it might or may?) have to rethink my hypothesis.😉

Indoor66
01-28-2020, 03:38 PM

Not his uncle. It was his cousin.😂

roywhite
01-28-2020, 03:48 PM
Don't know how long or ultimately successful Zion's career will be, but he sure is fun to watch.

Watching him play makes me smile.

camion
01-28-2020, 05:48 PM
While I mostly agree with what you are saying, do you really think Zion is reading this DBR discussion? I’d say there is a 99.9% chance he is not. And if he is not, how could our discussion be “setting him up for failure”? Not to worry, DIB, Zion is almost surely completely unaffected by anything we discuss.

But I read DBR as do many others. And it can affect the mojo I send through the TV when I watch the game. Multiply by the other DBR readers also mojoing and it's going to have an effect.

You can't argue with the science here. :eek:

AGDukesky
01-28-2020, 07:57 PM
Well that was the most boring six minutes of Zions career

Billy Dat
01-28-2020, 08:17 PM
Kobe’s death has taken the spotlight off of Zion, which is likely to Zion’s short term benefit.

DukieInBrasil
01-28-2020, 09:28 PM

And you think that DBR is the only place people say stuff like that? Why feed into that?

Steven43
01-28-2020, 10:15 PM
And you think that DBR is the only place people say stuff like that? Why feed into that?
Well, of course you’re right in that this kind of talk — Zion could be an all-time great — is going on elsewhere. And for the record I have not fed into it.

Personally, I don’t think Zion looks right. He seems kind of gimpy, as if some part(s) of his lower body is not feeling 100%. He also looks kind of puffy, which is somewhat understandable coming off of a long layoff. The exact same thing happened to Kyrie after his injury. But still, I thought after all of the talk coming out of New Orleans about working really hard to make significant physical improvements in Zion, he would have looked leaner and more fit than he does (at least to my eye, anyway).

I was optimistic about how things were going to go for Zion as far as staying injury-free after making some necessary changes, but I have to confess that I no longer feel that way. I am REALLY hoping to be proven wrong.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-28-2020, 10:28 PM
Kobe’s death has taken the spotlight off of Zion, which is likely to Zion’s short term benefit.

Kobe's death has done the unthinkable. Moved the Super Bowl to an afterthought.

uh_no
01-28-2020, 10:29 PM

honestly i don't think i've ever been so uninterested in the NFL playoffs. I had to open ESPN just now to see who the 49ers were playing. I honestly didn't know.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-28-2020, 10:30 PM
honestly i don't think i've ever been so uninterested in the NFL playoffs. I had to open ESPN just now to see who the 49ers were playing. I honestly didn't know.

Yet, it should be a really fun game.

uh_no
01-28-2020, 10:35 PM
Yet, it should be a really fun game.

i'll watch, for sure (at least the second half after i get out of rehearsal), but given the pats giants, fins, broncos, or pretty much anyone i could potentially care about was out, there was no interest.

Totally pulling for andy reid, though.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-28-2020, 10:38 PM
i'll watch, for sure (at least the second half after i get out of rehearsal), but given the pats giants, fins, broncos, or pretty much anyone i could potentially care about was out, there was no interest.

Totally pulling for andy reid, though.

Agreed. Andy Reid's personal history is hard to root against. Especially as a Seahawks fan who wants to watch his division rival lose.

National interest is probably at it's lowest in ages. As my personal nemesis Colin Cowherd would point out, these media markets do not move the needle.

Steven43
01-28-2020, 10:49 PM

Wait........WHAT??!!

Tooold
01-28-2020, 11:11 PM
But Mahomes.....

Kfanarmy
01-29-2020, 07:48 AM

It already was...aside from the NFL making sure they got a Cali team in again, to insure a big market audience, IDK if anyone would be watching what is becoming less and less competition and more and more orchrstrated like professional wrestling.

Acymetric
01-29-2020, 07:58 AM
It already was...aside from the NFL making sure they got a Cali team in again, to insure a big market audience, IDK if anyone would be watching what is becoming less and less competition and more and more orchrstrated like professional wrestling.

...What? I think you're off on all counts here (the idea that people wouldn't be watching, and the idea that it is like the WWE).

Steven43
01-29-2020, 08:43 AM

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Kansas City v San Francisco is a great matchup with many excellent players on both teams. Sure, I wish it were the Dallas Cowboys v Pittsburgh Steelers — both because I’m a Cowboys fan and it would create a much bigger buzz with the general public. But this is going to be a really good game.

AGDukesky
01-29-2020, 09:00 AM
I have no idea what you’re talking about. Kansas City v San Francisco is a great matchup with many excellent players on both teams. Sure, I wish it were the Dallas Cowboys v Pittsburgh Steelers — both because I’m a Cowboys fan and it would create a much bigger buzz with the general public. But this is going to be a really good game.

Agreed on basically all of that except Pittsburgh being in the game because I live in Steeler country. This is a great matchup of two contrasting styles and deserving teams. I’ll be hoping for a KC win but fear SF is too tough.

bundabergdevil
01-29-2020, 09:13 AM
This thread has taken a decided turn away from discussing Zion....

BD80
01-29-2020, 09:18 AM
This thread has taken a decided turn away from discussing Zion...

Steelers. Zion. Greatest of all time.

Happy?

WillJ
01-29-2020, 09:20 AM
This thread has taken a decided turn away from discussing Zion...

To bring it somewhat back on topic, would anyone else like to see Zion suit up as a defensive end for just one NFL game? It would be so interesting to me, as I think he would just overwhelm people.