PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v GA Tech (Wed 1/8, 9:00 pm, ACCN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DavidBenAkiva
01-06-2020, 04:24 PM
After leaving Miami twisting and turning, the Blue Devils turn their eyes towards Atlanta to take on the Yellow Jackets of Georgia Tech. As far as contrasts in opponents, Georgia Tech is pretty much the opposite of Miami. Whereas the Hurricanes could score with ease but played a matador style of defense, the Yellow Jackets have trouble putting the ball in the hoop but are stingy on defense.

On offense, it's been a brutal year. Georgia Tech is one of the least accurate shooting teams in the country, making just 28.5% of their attempts from 3 on the year. They also struggle from the free throw line, where just 64/3% of their attempts have gone in the hoop. It's brick city. The one guy that can make a jumper is 6'5" SO G Michael Devoe. He has been scorching the nets to the tune of 43.9% on 66 attempts on the year. No one else has been hitting them at better than 30%. Joining Devoe in the backcourt is pesky defender and lead PG Jose Alverado (JR 6'0"). Alverado leads the Georgia Tech defensive attack, where he is known to strip the ball and generate turnovers. Alverado has missed about half of the season so far and had his starts taken by the diminutive JR (5'10") Bubba Parham.

Alverado, Devoe, and Parham are about the only players on the team that are not constantly coughing up the ball. Georgia Tech is one of the absolute worst teams in offensive TO%, ranking 330th out of 353 teams. They give up the ball on about 23% of their possessions, which coincidentally, is about what Duke's defense is causing. Expect Duke to force TO's and be rewarded for their gambles.

Where Georgia Tech does excel is on defense. They block a lot of shots and use their size and length to generally make it tough for opponents to score around the rim. Leading the charge is 6'10" SR James Banks III. Banks is one of the best shot blockers in the nation and will give Vernon Carey, Jr. and the rest of the Duke team fits when they get close to the basket. Reserve JR Moses Wright (6'9") is also a decent rim protector, although not on the level of either Carey or Banks. Banks, Wright, and 6'10" JR Evan Cole are the primary rebounders for Georgia Tech. Wright is the second leading scorer on the team at 13.4 points per game and leads the team in rebounding. The Raleigh native should present a tough matchup for Matthew Hurt and Jack White. Wright and Banks do commit a good number of fouls, though, and lead the team in TO's.

Duke is going to have to value the basketball to win this one. Georgia Tech has only shown offensive promise once, hanging 96 points on an underwhelming UNC team in its last outing. Losing Wendell Moore means that Alex O'Connell and Joey Baker are going to have to be positive contributors, providing shooting relief if Vernon Carey is having trouble getting his usual offense against Banks and the Georgia Tech front line. Given the offensive limitations of the opponent, this is a game where I think O'Connell and Baker could shine, providing much-needed complementary scoring. If those two are making shots, Duke should be in for a relatively easy night in Atlanta.

SkyBrickey
01-06-2020, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the write-up on the game. Something to keep in mind is they've only had starters Alvarado and Usher back for 5 games and 6 games respectively. I think you can throw away what this team did earlier in the year and look at where they are now - a 13-point win on the road against UNC and a 12-point loss on the road to FSU. This is a good basketball team. Alvarado is a very heady floor leader - similar to Tre Jones in that way - and James Banks is an elite rim protector. Banks is not the quickest guy in the world, but he's very long and loves to block shots. Vernon will need to both aggressively use pump fakes and score through him to neutralize his shot blocking.

And like everyone else, this is GT's super bowl, especially with their post-season ban. I'm expecting a very tough battle in Atlanta. Hope the guys are ready and not overlooking this one.

rolm
01-06-2020, 09:36 PM
Why are Duke games getting scheduled against the NFL playoffs? One would think that they would schedule them when there is no competition with the NFL playoffs.

heyman25
01-07-2020, 12:55 AM
If they double on Vernon hope Matthew Hurt is on fire. His game is now meeting the pre season hype. I thought he may need another year, but if he keeps elevating his game he may test the waters.Cassius Joey Alex Jack Javin Anthony and even Justin all need to step up with no Wendell. We looked great against Miami. Those kind of games don't happen frequently, but it has to be a confidence booster for all of those players. Alex still could play better. No more airballs. Make good passes and take shots if they are in rhythm.

UrinalCake
01-07-2020, 03:39 AM
...the Yellow Jackets have trouble putting the ball in the hoop but are stingy on defense.

I see what you did there.

Kedsy
01-07-2020, 10:04 AM
Cassius Joey Alex Jack Javin Anthony and even Justin all need to step up with no Wendell.

Who's Anthony?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-07-2020, 10:31 AM
Who's Anthony?

Cole? Harris?

killerleft
01-07-2020, 10:45 AM
Who's Anthony?

"Wish him into the cornfield, Anthony."

So, Billy Mumy.

robed deity
01-07-2020, 10:50 AM
Who's Anthony?

Don't know, but he's not gettin a house out in Hackensack.

devildeac
01-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Don't know, but he's not gettin a house out in Hackensack.

"...You oughta know by now..."

Music man55
01-07-2020, 11:12 AM
Ga. Tech may be a tough opponent for us Wed.in in Atlanta. I know the cheats are a little down now, but the Jackets will be sky high. Somebody up thread said it will be their Super Bowl, and I agree. Alvarado and Devoe are tough in the backcourt, and with Banks and Wright, could be interesting front court battle. Of course, I thought Miami would give us a pretty tough fight in Coral Gables. Shows you what I know! Anyway, hope we come in to this game with a fighters mentality and take down the Jackets. Let's go Blue Devils!

NYBri
01-07-2020, 11:25 AM
"...You oughta know by now..."

...ack, ack, ack, ack, ack.

Tripping William
01-07-2020, 11:34 AM
...ack, ack, ack, ack, ack.

You should never argue with a crazy man.

SkyBrickey
01-07-2020, 11:55 AM
You should never argue with a crazy man.

Is this the Anthony from my grocery store? I did hear he's got a killer crossover.

Alvarado and Usher have only been back a few games and I think this GT team is really starting to gel. I watched the entire game against UNC. This is a very different Tech team than a few weeks ago. Don't be fooled by their record. This is going to be a much tougher game than BC or Miami...

arnie
01-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Is this the Anthony from my grocery store? I did hear he's got a killer crossover.

Alvarado and Usher have only been back a few games and I think this GT team is really starting to gel. I watched the entire game against UNC. This is a very different Tech team than a few weeks ago. Don't be fooled by their record. This is going to be a much tougher game than BC or Miami...

This Tech team earlier in season beat the vaunted Wolfpack in Raleigh. This is the same Pack that local pundits all agree is in the big dance.

In the end I think we win, but will be tougher than we may have first thought.

Green Wave Dukie
01-07-2020, 12:18 PM
"Wish him into the cornfield, Anthony."

So, Billy Mumy.

If it is this Anthony, he'll be playing Zone defense.

Troublemaker
01-07-2020, 12:25 PM
A preview thread for GaTech needs to discuss their unique zone.

I'm too lazy to do it, but I'll spork someone who does a good job laying out their zone.

Maybe start with Coach K's postgame presser from last season's GaTech game, the one where GaTech's zone flustered Duke's very talented team. I remember Coach not being able to decide what to call Pastner's zone, which is a unique feature of the zone. Opposing coaches don't know what to call it.

SkyBrickey
01-07-2020, 12:46 PM

I'm too lazy to do it, but I'll spork someone who does a good job laying out their zone.

Maybe start with Coach K's postgame presser from last season's GaTech game, the one where GaTech's zone flustered Duke's very talented team. I remember Coach not being able to decide what to call Pastner's zone, which is a unique feature of the zone. Opposing coaches don't know what to call it.

They mix zone with man-to-man principles in a very unique way. This lets them get out and challenge 3 point shots (I think we were 2-21 last year against them). They also have the second (Banks) and sixth (Wright) leading shot blockers in the conference.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're a little confused early, maybe even find ourselves down in the first half. But I'd expect us to settle in and then we have that ability to really sustain great defense and grind teams down with our depth.

I hope we establish Carey early and he's able to take it right at Banks and Wright maybe drawing some early fouls. They haven't had to guard a player like Carey this year.

elvis14
01-07-2020, 01:48 PM
It's going to be interesting to see if GT can step up. Looking at their schedule, it doesn't look like they have played anybody yet except for UK (ranked 8) and FSU (ranked 18). Everyone else looks like a nobody as far as basketball is concerned.

I can't even begin to explain how much I enjoyed posting that. 9F

budwom
01-07-2020, 02:00 PM
It's going to be interesting to see if GT can step up. Looking at their schedule, it doesn't look like they have played anybody yet except for UK (ranked 8) and FSU (ranked 18). Everyone else looks like a nobody as far as basketball is concerned.

Might be similarly (if not equally fair) to say Duke hasn't played anyone in the top 45 other than Kansas and MSU. And I think KenPom has them with a tougher SOS as well...both Sagarin and KenPom has GT with a top 10 SOS, Duke not so much.

CDu
01-07-2020, 02:42 PM
This game is sort of the inverse of our last game. Whereas Miami could score but stunk defensively, Georgia Tech is a solid defensive team but a train wreck offensively. The Jackets don't shoot well from anywhere other than at the rim. They don't offensive rebound well. They have a few guys who pass fairly well, but they also turn it over a LOT. The only thing they do notably well on offense is draw fouls. On defense, they contest shots very well, forcing teams to an abysmal 3pt% and 2pt%. They block a lot of shots and force some turnovers. Defense is definitely their calling card, going primarily zone but with a variety of looks from it. Their zone even employs some man-to-man stuff in it, and they mix it up throughout the game and even within possessions. They aren't a spectacular defense, but they are pretty darn good on that end. And they can make life difficult. Pastner, a Calipari discipline, tries to run a dribble-drive offense. But it doesn't really work for them with the guys they have. Only a few guys are really decent offensive players.

Centers: James Banks III (6'8", 245lb senior transfer from Texas) is the man in the middle. Banks moves reasonably well for his size and blocks shots well in the middle. He also has a nice game in the paint. He's not much of a shooting threat, but he's an excellent player within his somewhat limited range of skills. He doesn't force much away from the rim, with over half his shots coming at the rim. Banks is a solid rebounder on both ends and the only guy on the team who draws fouls. He's also the only center who plays a major role. Basically, if they can do so, Banks plays 30+ mpg, and when he has to sit they go with their two 6'9" forwards instead.

Forwards: Moses Wright (6'9", 220lb junior from Raleigh) starts at forward and leads all frontcourt players in minutes. He is a lanky, athletic, high-energy guy who rebound some but doesn't shoot very well. Wright is willing to shoot from range, though he hasn't ever been very effective at it. The other forward in the rotation is Evan Cole (6'9", 215lb junior). Cole is more of a stretch-4. He's a strong defensive rebounder but largely invisible otherwise. He's not a great 3pt shooter, but he can hit it some and will likely put one up against us. The Jackets don't offer much quality here other than length, rebounding, and effort baskets.

Wings: Michael DeVoe (6'4", 190lb sophomore) is the best of a pretty uninspiring lot of wings for Tech. That's not a slight to DeVoe (he's good) but rather a commentary on the rest of the group. DeVoe is a combo guard with good ballhandling and passing skills for a secondary playmaker. He's got decent size and length, but isn't overly impressive athletically. He's a scrappy defender in their zone and forces some turnovers. He can score at all 3 levels. Containing him is key to limiting the Jackets. Beyond DeVoe, it's pretty rough. Jordan Usher (6'7", 225lb junior transfer from USC) is the other starter. Usher made the mistake of doing a midseason transfer last year, which cost him a year of eligibility. But, he's in Atlanta and has stepped into the starting lineup for the Jackets as soon as he was eligible. Usher is kind of a swingman for them, starting at the 3 and occasionally the 4 (when foul trouble forces them to go small). He's a better shooter than his percentage so far this year suggests. But his real value is his high-energy style of play. He's also a brick house who can defend 3-4 spots on the floor. The third wing in the rotation is Khalid Moore (6'6", 200lb sophomore). Moore is a lanky, very athletic wing with the skill set of a power forward. He doesn't dribble well, and doesn't have much polish offensively. He has hit a handful of standstill 3s this year, but that's not really his game. The one thing he's done well this year is get steals. He has the length and athleticism to cause headaches. But his offensive game is... offensive. The fourth wing in the rotation is Asanti Price (6'5", 175lb freshman). Price is basically a facsimile of Moore. Last on the list is Shembari Phillips (6'3", 200lb senior transfer from Tennessee). Phillips plays sparingly if the other wings are healthy. And for good reason. He's a bit of a liability on the floor. He shoots poorly both inside and outside the arc and turns it over too much for a guy who isn't a creator. He's in there for energy/effort garbage-man work and nothing more.

Guards: Jose Alvarado (6'0", 175lb junior) is the heart of the Yellow Jackets. He is kind of a poor-man's Tre Jones in that he's a better basketball player than his physical tools and individual skills would suggest. He's a fierce competitor, and a good floor general point guard. Despite being small and not overly athletic, he's fearless with the ball in his hands. He's a good but not great shooter from anywhere on the court, and he's pugnacious and tenacious. He's the type of PG you love to have on your team but hate if he's on the other team. I could probably come up with some more colorful words to describe him, but you get the idea. He's a guy Coach K would love to coach I think. Alvarado missed several games earlier in the year with an ankle injury, but was instrumental in the win over UNC (25 pts, 8-12 shooting, 8 assists, 6 steals). Alvarado will play as close to 40 minutes as he can if it is close, and the Jackets will probably need him to play well to have a chance against us. Alvarado's backup (and the fill-in starter while he was out) is Bubba Parham (5'11", 155lb junior transfer from VMI). Parham was a volume shooter/scorer for VMI, but has settled into a more conservative role for Tech. That's not to say he won't put up some shots, but he definitely has reined it in a bit on his shooting. He shoots most of his shots from 3 as you might expect from someone his size. The percentage hasn't been good this year but he's an above-average shooter on high volume for his career. The Jackets will pair Alvarado and Parham a decent amount as well, making for a really small but pesky perimeter.

The Jackets will be high-energy and high-effort. They'll be aggressive. If they hit a few jumpshots, they can be irrationally confident and make it a pesky game. They have won at State and at UNC. So they can be a thorn in the side. But we have a substantial talent edge and their weaknesses (defensive rebounding, turnovers) play into our strengths. Hopefully this is a comfortable win. At home, I'd feel pretty comfortable about it. Torvik predicts a 12.6-point win for us, and that feels about right as an expectation. But with a team that defends like they do, all it takes is them getting uncharacteristically hot from 3 to make this a really stressful game.

Ultrarunner
01-07-2020, 03:30 PM
They mix zone with man-to-man principles in a very unique way. This lets them get out and challenge 3 point shots (I think we were 2-21 last year against them). They also have the second (Banks) and sixth (Wright) leading shot blockers in the conference.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're a little confused early, maybe even find ourselves down in the first half. But I'd expect us to settle in and then we have that ability to really sustain great defense and grind teams down with our depth.

I hope we establish Carey early and he's able to take it right at Banks and Wright maybe drawing some early fouls. They haven't had to guard a player like Carey this year.

I expect that our guards will do fine. Repetitions count and Tre Jones, Goldwire, and AOC have all seen it before as has Jack White. If there's some shakiness, it will be from the frosh up front. I have confidence that the guards will pull them through the initial period quickly.

elvis14
01-07-2020, 03:53 PM

Might be similarly (if not equally fair) to say Duke hasn't played anyone in the top 45 other than Kansas and MSU. And I think KenPom has them with a tougher SOS as well...both Sagarin and KenPom has GT with a top 10 SOS, Duke not so much.

Just to be clear: I was taking a shot at the Cheaters there.

Edouble
01-07-2020, 04:04 PM
If it is this Anthony, he'll be playing Zone NO defense.

FIFY

JasonEvans
01-07-2020, 04:08 PM
This is kinda sad...

Georgia Tech’s men’s basketball game Wednesday night against No. 2-ranked Duke has officially sold out. Wednesday’s game will tip off at 9 p.m. at McCamish Pavilion. The sellout is the first of the year for the Yellow Jackets and the 20th in the seven-plus-year history of Tech’s on-campus arena.

Edouble
01-07-2020, 04:21 PM
This is kinda sad...

As an Atlanta native, who came up in high school during the Lethal Weapon III years, I also pine for the days of a nationally relevant Yellow Jackets' basketball team.

With no Final Four in 15 years, and a consistent level of conference mediocrity, 20 sellouts actually seems pretty good. I assume this reflects the rotation of hosting Duke, unc, Georgia, and perhaps another nationally relevant ACC opponent or interesting ACC/Big10 Challenge opponent.

heyman25
01-07-2020, 04:32 PM
Who's Anthony?

Not Anthony JORDAN
sorry Duke fans forgot his first name.

Edouble
01-07-2020, 04:35 PM
Not Anthony JORDAN
sorry Duke fans forgot his first name.

To confuse Jordan Goldwire with Anthony Goldwire!

Your basketball knowledge runs deep. Color me impressed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Goldwire

Truth&Justise
01-07-2020, 04:36 PM
Georgia Tech’s men’s basketball game Wednesday night against No. 2-ranked Duke has officially sold out. Wednesday’s game will tip off at 9 p.m. at McCamish Pavilion. The sellout is the first of the year for the Yellow Jackets and the 20th in the seven-plus-year history of Tech’s on-campus arena.

Glad I got my tickets in time! Let's go Duke!

Truth&Justise
01-07-2020, 04:38 PM
With no Final Four in 15 years, and a consistent level of conference mediocrity, 20 sellouts actually seems pretty good. I assume this reflects the rotation of hosting Duke, unc, Georgia, and perhaps another nationally relevant ACC opponent or interesting ACC/Big10 Challenge opponent.

This will be my third time seeing Duke play at Georgia Tech (2016, 2018, 2020). I can attest that those are three of the 20 sellouts from the past 7 years.

roywhite
01-07-2020, 04:42 PM
This will be my third time seeing Duke play at Georgia Tech (2016, 2018, 2020). I can attest that those are three of the 20 sellouts from the past 7 years.

What's been the approx. percentage of Duke fans in those previous games? And is this likely to be similar?

Sixthman
01-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Just to be clear: I was taking a shot at the Cheaters there.

The possibility that people didn't get that makes the shot even sweeter.

Truth&Justise
01-07-2020, 05:51 PM
What's been the approx. percentage of Duke fans in those previous games? And is this likely to be similar?

Maybe something like 70% Ga Tech and 30% Duke? The student section shows up for this game, and most of the lower bowl is Georgia Tech fans. The upper bowl is mostly Duke fans, but the upper bowl in McCamish Pavilion is way smaller than the lower bowl.

uh_no
01-07-2020, 05:54 PM
This is kinda sad...

especially given how small the place is. 8300.

Hey, schools wanted bigger conferences for more money....and now they reap what they sow. It's far harder to be relevant even in your own conference.

BandAlum83
01-07-2020, 06:23 PM
Why are Duke games getting scheduled against the NFL playoffs? One would think that they would schedule them when there is no competition with the NFL playoffs.

View a ven diagram of the Duke BB and the NFL play off viewership. It might shed some light. Add a third dimension for those with ACCN access, and bingo!

BandAlum83
01-07-2020, 06:32 PM
This is kinda sad...

I just got my tickets on StubHub! Second level / second row / centercourt. I'm excited to be able to see our guys in person!

I'm especially excited since I am an Xfinity customer and can't watch from the comfort of my own home.

A late school night out for Mrs BandAlum83 and me!

Go Duke!!

Sluggo
01-07-2020, 09:46 PM
I see this game and the next are on ACCN. Has anyone found any streaming options for the ACCN games? I have been forced to just listen to the games on radio. Thanks.

fuse
01-07-2020, 09:56 PM
I see this game and the next are on ACCN. Has anyone found any streaming options for the ACCN games? I have been forced to just listen to the games on radio. Thanks.

Hulu Live, and ESPN+ are a couple of options.

duke2x
01-07-2020, 10:03 PM
From the fun department: The GT coach with the best win % against Duke is Whack Hyder (2-3). Cremins is about 36% but the most games.
https://goduke.com/documents/2020/1/7//15_GTMBB_Notes_Duke.pdf

This is going to be a tougher game than the last two. We did not play well against them last year.

It just sold out a couple days ago, and I'm 100% positive Duke fans could buy lower bowl tickets under Cameron GA face value if they wanted them.

devildeac
01-07-2020, 10:06 PM
UVa's loss on the road tonight will hopefully get our guys' attention.

Edouble
01-07-2020, 10:10 PM
From the fun department: The GT coach with the best win % against Duke is Whack Hyder (2-3). Cremins is about 36% but the most games.

This is going to be a tougher game than the last two. We did not play well against them last year.

It just sold out a couple days ago, and I'm 100% positive Duke fans could buy lower bowl tickets under Cameron GA face value if they wanted them.

What does this mean?

OldPhiKap
01-07-2020, 10:10 PM
UVa's loss on the road tonight will hopefully get our guys' attention.

Yup. Although GT’s win @ uNC, and our loss at home to SFA, should already have them focused.

CDu
01-07-2020, 10:13 PM
What does this mean?

He or she thinks that one could get good seats to the Tech game at prices below the general admission face-value ticket prices at Cameron.

devildeac
01-07-2020, 10:14 PM
Yup. Although GT’s win @ uNC, and our loss at home to SFA, should already have them focused.

True, but it's always good to have more recent reminders.

;)

hallcity
01-07-2020, 10:18 PM
He or she thinks that one could get good seats to the Tech game at prices below the general admission face-value ticket prices at Cameron.

He’s right (https://www.stubhub.com/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-basketball-tickets-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-basketball-atlanta-mccamish-pavilion-1-8-2020/event/104336084/?sort=price+asc). I’d call the prices surprisingly low.

Edouble
01-07-2020, 10:24 PM

Oh, GA = General Admission!

Around these parts it means Georgia.

I just pulled the trigger for lower bowl, right center court, Section 108, Row 9 for $215 total for the pair. Curious to see if the prices drop tomorrow, but time is money and I was beginning to think I was losing money by continuing to watch the ticket prices like a hawk.

Excited to be going to the game tomorrow!

SavDukeGrad
01-07-2020, 10:30 PM
He’s right (https://www.stubhub.com/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-basketball-tickets-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-basketball-atlanta-mccamish-pavilion-1-8-2020/event/104336084/?sort=price+asc). I’d call the prices surprisingly low.

Face value of lower level tickets at Ga Tech (at least for our game) was $80 (end zone), $85 (corners), $125 (sides), and $165 (I think) for Callaway Club.

BandAlum83
01-07-2020, 10:32 PM

Mine were 78 each including stub hub fees for second row of the upper section. Center court.

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 08:13 AM
Duke is -12 on the road in at Atlanta vs Georgia Tech tonight.

Troublemaker
01-08-2020, 09:14 AM
Duke is -12 on the road in at Atlanta vs Georgia Tech tonight.

I took GaTech +12 and the over in both Degenerates and real life.

A few (not comprehensive) thoughts:

Pastner's uncomplicated offense might actually be a positive against Duke. I've seen good coaches with good offenses really struggle against us when they try to run their normal sets; Duke's ball pressure makes it so hard to run offense. I think Pastner will at times just have his guys put their heads down and drive our pressure, and I think this season's GaTech might have enough athleticism and size to have some driving success tonight. This is probably Pastner's best team in Atlanta.
Wendell being out helps with the over. Not only is he one of our better defenders, but he's still struggling on offense with a 95 offensive rating. (It's gotten better recently but he's still mostly posting sub-100s).
Kenpom projects a 12-pt win, but his data include all the games where GaTech played without Usher and Alvarado. As others have mentioned, the Yellow Jackets have become a much better team with those two guys available. I estimate anyone taking +12 is getting at least two points of point spread value here.
I'm trying to avoid recency bias. Despite what we did @Miami and @VaTech, my attitude towards any ACC road game is still, "I'll be happy with a 1-pt win." 12 points is a bit rich, imo. Unless Duke shoots well tonight to get some separation, it will be nerve-racking.

And as always, if I'm wrong, I will pay the price literally in Degenerates and real life. Accountability/consequences for bad (or good) opinions, yes!

szstark
01-08-2020, 09:34 AM

I bought YouTube TV and it is great. I dropped some of the Comcast premium channels that were duplicated on YouTube TV or that I never watched to help defray the additional cost.

uh_no
01-08-2020, 10:00 AM
I took GaTech +12 and the over in both Degenerates and real life.

A few (not comprehensive) thoughts:

Pastner's uncomplicated offense might actually be a positive against Duke. I've seen good coaches with good offenses really struggle against us when they try to run their normal sets; Duke's ball pressure makes it so hard to run offense. I think Pastner will at times just have his guys put their heads down and drive our pressure, and I think this season's GaTech might have enough athleticism and size to have some driving success tonight. This is probably Pastner's best team in Atlanta.
Wendell being out helps with the over. Not only is he one of our better defenders, but he's still struggling on offense with a 95 offensive rating. (It's gotten better recently but he's still mostly posting sub-100s).
Kenpom projects a 12-pt win, but his data include all the games where GaTech played without Usher and Alvarado. As others have mentioned, the Yellow Jackets have become a much better team with those two guys available. I estimate anyone taking +12 is getting at least two points of point spread value here.
I'm trying to avoid recency bias. Despite what we did @Miami and @VaTech, my attitude towards any ACC road game is still, "I'll be happy with a 1-pt win." 12 points is a bit rich, imo. Unless Duke shoots well tonight to get some separation, it will be nerve-racking.

And as always, if I'm wrong, I will pay the price literally in Degenerates and real life. Accountability/consequences for bad (or good) opinions, yes!

i think that's a really good assessment.

Acymetric
01-08-2020, 11:22 AM
This is kinda sad...

How many of those were Duke? :)

Slightly more seriously, that doesn't seem so bad to me. ~3 sellouts per year isn't great, but most schools who claim to regularly sell out are lying using creative recordkeeping (I'm looking at you, Duke).

Edit: DBR feature request - support for strikethrough

Acymetric
01-08-2020, 11:23 AM

A preview for GaTech also needs to discuss how obnoxious Pastner is and how excited I will be when he is eventually fired.

Edouble
01-08-2020, 11:27 AM
How many of those were Duke? :)

Slightly more seriously, that doesn't seem so bad to me. ~3 sellouts per year isn't great, but most schools who claim to regularly sell out are lying using creative recordkeeping (I'm looking at you, Duke).

Edit: DBR feature request - support for strikethrough

FIFY

[s] not [strike]

Awaiting full sporks, thank you.

wilson
01-08-2020, 11:31 AM
A preview for GaTech also needs to discuss how obnoxious Pastner is and how excited I will be when he is eventually fired.Just curious as to why you feel this way about Pastner? I don't have any frame of reference to form an opinion on him, but I heard him discussing tonight's game on ATL radio this morning and found him to be informative, forthright, and generally pretty agreeable.

Acymetric
01-08-2020, 11:34 AM
Just curious as to why you feel this way about Pastner? I don't have any frame of reference to form an opinion on him, but I heard him discussing tonight's game on ATL radio this morning and found him to be informative, forthright, and generally pretty agreeable.

He is incredibly obnoxious on the sideline. Constantly jumping up and down/screaming. Could hear him over the crowd at Cameron for much of the game when I attended (last year or the year before, can't remember). Worse than any coach I can remember ever seeing. I don't know if the cameras show it as much on TV, I guess I'll find out tonight. If at any point they show him jumping/gesticulating his arms around like a maniac and yelling, don't assume that was unique to the moment they panned to him. Assume he is doing that the entire game​.

wilson
01-08-2020, 11:43 AM
He is incredibly obnoxious on the sideline. Constantly jumping up and down/screaming. Could hear him over the crowd at Cameron for much of the game when I attended (last year or the year before, can't remember). Worse than any coach I can remember ever seeing. I don't know if the cameras show it as much on TV, I guess I'll find out tonight. If at any point they show him jumping/gesticulating his arms around like a maniac and yelling, don't assume that was unique to the moment they panned to him. Assume he is doing that the entire game​.Gotcha.
I will be lucky enough to be in the building this evening, so I'll be sure to pay attention.

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 11:56 AM
He is incredibly obnoxious on the sideline. Constantly jumping up and down/screaming. Could hear him over the crowd at Cameron for much of the game when I attended (last year or the year before, can't remember). Worse than any coach I can remember ever seeing. I don't know if the cameras show it as much on TV, I guess I'll find out tonight. If at any point they show him jumping/gesticulating his arms around like a maniac and yelling, don't assume that was unique to the moment they panned to him. Assume he is doing that the entire game​.

Totally agree with this. He’s as bad, or worse, than Buzz and Izzo, dancing around on the court and screaming. Drives me crazy too.

Plus there is the whole Ron Bell situation. I know the sexual assault charges brought by Bell and his girlfriend were manufactured and Pastner was innocent, but imo one has to ask themself this question - why was someone like Bell, with his background which Pastner was aware of, given unfettered access to Pastner’s programs at Memphis and at Ga Tech? This is similar to the relationship that TJ Gassnola had with Bill Self and Kansas imo, and I think Pastner is slimy. Just my 2 cents.

budwom
01-08-2020, 12:41 PM

ah, another guy who is "highly gesticulated." (semi-obscure reference)....

brevity
01-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Bump.

Apparently, DBR is more interested today in Zion's hypothetical sophomore season than the game tonight with the actual Duke team we have (including actual sophomores Tre Jones and Joey Baker).

To close up that thread: hell no. If a sophomore Zion gets injured, Nike-related or not, it would be 1000 times worse for Coach K than that time he got mad at Paul George in Olympics practice and took an ax to his leg*.

* Is that how it happened? These days I get my news from Inside Carolina.

uh_no
01-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Bump.

Apparently, DBR is more interested today in Zion's hypothetical sophomore season than the game tonight with the actual Duke team we have (including actual sophomores Tre Jones and Joey Baker).

To close up that thread: hell no. If a sophomore Zion gets injured, Nike-related or not, it would be 1000 times worse for Coach K than that time he got mad at Paul George in Olympics practice and took an ax to his leg*.

* Is that how it happened? These days I get my news from Inside Carolina.

we could go back to discussing the hypothetical ACC regular season championship if you prefer :D :D :D

OldPhiKap
01-08-2020, 07:15 PM
How many minutes would Carey get with Zion coming back? Would we go two-big or would that clog the lane too much?

(I don’t get ACCN so this is a “don’t care much” game for me. Sad but true).

BandAlum83
01-08-2020, 07:16 PM
I could’ve bought the two seats next to me for $45 less total if I had waited until now to but instead of getting them yesterday. But I didn’t want to take any chances.

Lesson learned.

Edouble
01-08-2020, 07:19 PM
I could’ve bought the two seats next to me for $45 less total if I had waited until now to but instead of getting them yesterday. But I didn’t want to take any chances.

Lesson learned.

Yeah, I am a risk taker myself and got a pretty sweet deal by waiting. Actually ended up in the Callaway Club, so I'm getting free wine, beer, and buffet with my tix. Gonna arrive early to eat and watch warmups.

Maybe I will get to meet Buzz?

Go Devils!

DU82
01-08-2020, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I am a risk taker myself and got a pretty sweet deal by waiting. Actually ended up in the Callaway Club, so I'm getting free wine, beer, and buffet with my tix. Gonna arrive early to eat and watch warmups.

Maybe I will get to meet Buzz?

Go Devils!

Thought he went to Texas A&M?

Bet you’d get to drive the Wreck, though.

-jk
01-08-2020, 08:19 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=ccarc) to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

JasonEvans
01-08-2020, 08:40 PM
Podcast in da house!!!

whereinthehellami
01-08-2020, 09:16 PM
Duke looking tight early. GT brought good energy to start.

I just bought 10 pop-n-plays, love the ACCN.

Sixthman
01-08-2020, 09:20 PM
Calling touch fouls when duke on defense while tech gets no call on hard foul on shooter. Also, continuing theme used against UNC where big man backs up off the ball sweeping the lane to create space for driver. It’s a moving screen:

ndkjr70
01-08-2020, 09:24 PM
If blatant moving screens are allowed we should just have Javin run around throwing people out of the way. Boom, solved!

Also, I don’t know how Banks is getting that “Blackshear so like don’t worry he doesn’t foul” treatment but just because it’s all-ball on the block doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to call the forearm shove to the body before the guy jumps.

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 09:25 PM
Calling touch fouls when duke on defense while tech gets no call on hard foul on shooter. Also, continuing theme used against UNC where big man backs up off the ball sweeping the lane to create space for driver. It’s a moving screen:

Game is definitely not being called consistently. Banks should have at least 2 fouls.

Sixthman
01-08-2020, 09:29 PM
How many fouls does banks get a free pass on?

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 09:29 PM
Make that should be 4 fouls on Banks.

ndkjr70
01-08-2020, 09:31 PM
A foul was called on Banks! His 9th of the game.

Wait, second of the game? Are you sure?

ndkjr70
01-08-2020, 09:33 PM
Joey Baker is Benjamin button’ing and we’re gonna need that to stop if we’re going to survive without Wendell.

whereinthehellami
01-08-2020, 09:36 PM
Duke settling down. Hurt hitting some shots. The D is looking solid.

Baker trying to do too much. KISS!

ndkjr70
01-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Thrilled that AOC saw the bottom of the net early. Hoping he gets some confidence

rsvman
01-08-2020, 09:39 PM
Baker sure got the quick pull after that egregious walk.

Bluedog
01-08-2020, 09:42 PM
Love these commentators. I'm not annoyed with them and they focus on the game with some good insights/knowledge. That's my threshold these days. That's the only good thing about ACCN, no Bilas/Vitale/etc.

arnie
01-08-2020, 09:42 PM
Tech not trash talking as much now.

Sixthman
01-08-2020, 09:43 PM
Love these commentators. I'm not annoyed with them and they focus on the game with some good insights/knowledge. That's my threshold these days. That's the only good thing about ACCN, no Bilas/Vitale/etc.

Plus I can’t get enough commercials for night vision goggles or any other product which offers a second one for only a handling and shipping fee. Love the acc network.

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 09:44 PM
18-2 runs always help.

GT has 2 timeouts remaining with 23:45 left in the game.

Let’s Go Duke!

arnie

Think we went 12-0 while GaT football coach in booth. Bring him back.

dukelion
I freaking love this team!

Goldwire and Tre are absolute savages on D.......man this is fun to watch!!!

whereinthehellami
01-08-2020, 09:45 PM
TO GT. Duke getting it done on both ends. 12-0 run. GT has lost their energy.

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 09:46 PM
How many fouls is that on Carey?

Eternal Outlaw
01-08-2020, 09:51 PM
Nice dunk Alex but get back on D.

arnie
01-08-2020, 09:54 PM
How many fouls is that on Carey?

Carey and Javin with 2. No one else with more than 1.

ndkjr70
01-08-2020, 09:54 PM
This is a 24 point game with even the remotest of competency from the officiating. I don’t know how K still has his jacket on, I went into my room and changed into a suit just so I could throw mine.

SkyBrickey
01-08-2020, 09:57 PM

Yes, I always enjoy Dan Bonner.

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 09:57 PM
Carey and Javin with 2. No one else with more than 1.

Thank you Arnie.

I find it interesting that Carey and Banks both have 2 fouls. Banks has committed at least 4 or 5 that were uncalled.

devildeac
01-08-2020, 09:58 PM
This is a 24 point game with even the remotest of competency from the officiating. I don’t know how K still has his jacket on, I went into my room and changed into a suit just so I could throw mine.

Couldn't possibly be as bad as some of the felonious assaults that Hewitt's thugs committed with minimal consequences. :mad:

ChrisP
01-08-2020, 09:58 PM

Agreed but also not really surprised as that's what happens with road games. There was a play right near the half we're GT ended up getting a 3 after we had clearly stuffed the guy in the lane. Should have been a held Ball but of course, no call. Also, they called some kind of BS foul when we trapped another guy in the corner a little earlier in the game. That should have been a held ball, too, but they called a foul on us somehow

ShaneRyan
01-08-2020, 10:00 PM
Was just discussing this on Twitter...I think we need a name for that moment when our defensive pressure finally just psychologically breaks a team, and they can't begin to figure out what to do. You can see it happen in real time, it's the point at which they stop scoring. Tech hit it at the 10-minute mark, got 11 points the rest of the half. Maybe "The Blue Wall"? Have never seen it in effect quite like this year.

ncexnyc
01-08-2020, 10:01 PM
That was an extremely impressive 1st half. Tech came out swinging and Duke took every punch and came away with a double digit lead at the half.

SkyBrickey
Goldwire is a total stud. Our defense with Tre + Goldwire + Stanley is outstanding. And Goldwire is no longer a liability on offense.

JasonEvans
JGold plays 16:47 of the first half... color me shocked but I think he is darn near indispensable for this team. He just never makes mistakes and his D is terrifying for the opposition.

It is entirely possible that Tre Jones will win the national defense of player of the year while being the second best defender on his own team .

JasonEvans
01-08-2020, 10:04 PM
JGold plays 16:47 of the first half... color me shocked but I think he is darn near indispensable for this team. He just never makes mistakes and his D is terrifying for the opposition.

It is entirely possible that Tre Jones will win the national defense of player of the year while being the second best defender on his own team .

JGold scores 2 points with 1 assist and 1 steal in the first half and yet if you asked me to pick a MVP of the game so far, he gets my vote with ease.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2020, 10:05 PM
Was just discussing this on Twitter...I think we need a name for that moment when our defensive pressure finally just psychologically breaks a team, and they can't begin to figure out what to do. You can see it happen in real time, it's the point at which they stop scoring. Tech hit it at the 10-minute mark, got 11 points the rest of the half. Maybe "The Blue Wall"? Have never seen it in effect quite like this year.

Not sure where the term came from, but years ago someone told me about “tharn” — that moment when you look in a witness’ eyes on cross-examination and you know that he or she will agree with everything you say because you have broken them. You know it when you see it.

DukeDTD
01-08-2020, 10:06 PM
I freaking love this team!

Goldwire and Tre are absolute savages on D....man this is fun to watch!!!

These kids play so hard. And they are tough. GT came out playing intense, physical basketball and our guys responded to the punches by playing harder. For me, this is the most fun team to watch in a long, long time.

DukeDTD
01-08-2020, 10:09 PM

I would just call it old school "Duke Basketball". It was why we literally never lost to lesser teams.

SkyBrickey
01-08-2020, 10:10 PM

This is an all-time great observation. Couldn’t agree more. He changed the entire game by essentially wrecking their offense.

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 10:13 PM
4 point game in Atlanta.

godins
01-08-2020, 10:15 PM
Things changing in a hurry! Didn’t like seeing Cassius stay up instead of hitting the deck on the second-to-last turnover where Alvarado bled out for a layup. Lack of effort there directly led to that fastbreak.

ndkjr70
01-08-2020, 10:15 PM
Refs let the game stay close, now it’s down to 4 points.

If I was able to change one thing in sports it would be a complete overhaul of the ACC officiating. Such a great conference governed by such buffoons.

rsvman
01-08-2020, 10:18 PM
Nobody told Tech the game was over, apparently....

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 10:19 PM
Hurt has such a pretty shot.

GT has 1 timeout left with 15:06 left.

48-40 Duke.

ndkjr70
01-08-2020, 10:19 PM
Find yourself someone who loves you as much as these officials love Banks.

This is appalling.

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 10:22 PM
The only thing more obnoxious than Pastner gesticulating wildly is Pastner gesticulating wildly with flashcards.

ShaneRyan
01-08-2020, 10:22 PM
Not sure where the term came from, but years ago someone told me about “tharn” — that moment when you look in a witness’ eyes on cross-examination and you know that he or she will agree with everything you say because you have broken them. You know it when you see it.

Love this

ShaneRyan
01-08-2020, 10:25 PM
Between Banks and Alvarado, I'm finding this Tech team exceedingly easy to hate. What the hell was that guitar celebration?

downeastdad
01-08-2020, 10:26 PM
Love this

It's rabbit language from Watership Down. Frozen in terror, like deer in the headlights.

Sixthman
01-08-2020, 10:27 PM
Why isn’t Stanley playing? He seemed pretty effective in the first half.

CameronDuke
3 straight 3-pointers nailed by GT.

51-50 GT at the under 12.

ndkjr70
Jesus Christ AOC, now that’s a disaster series right there.

AOC and Javin shouldn’t ever be on the court at the same time. Oof.

Oriole Way
01-08-2020, 10:28 PM

This is the alarming thing to me, I hope he's not hurt.

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 10:29 PM
Between Banks and Alvarado, I'm finding this Tech team exceedingly easy to hate. What the hell was that guitar celebration?

Totally agree. I can’t stand this team. Was there for the game at Tech 2 years ago. Alvarado was worse in person.

SkyBrickey
01-08-2020, 10:29 PM
Here’s the tough game I was expecting. Credit to GT. We’ve just got to settle down.

arnie
01-08-2020, 10:30 PM

Yea don’t understand that. We’re screwing up on O resulting in GaT breaks.

ChrisP
Jesus Christ AOC, now that’s a disaster series right there.

AOC and Javin shouldn’t ever be on the court at the same time. Oof.

Yeah, I fully expected AOC to shoot it when he had good position in the lane. Apparently, all his teammates were thinking the same as me and we're not ready for a pass. SMH...

ndkjr70
AOC can do so much well when he lets the game come to him. And then he misses an assignment for a 3, heaves up a terrible one handed shot, misses an assignment for an easy bucket, and then throws the ball into the stands.

So frustrating because he clearly has the tools to be a real player.

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Tre has made some uncharacteristic turnovers tonight.

Sixthman
Three unforced turnovers for Tre

uh_no
AOC can do so much well when he lets the game come to him. And then he misses an assignment for a 3, heaves up a terrible one handed shot, misses an assignment for an easy bucket, and then throws the ball into the stands.

So frustrating because he clearly has the tools to be a real player.

the breakdown came from javin making a bad commit on a double leaving his man wide open under the basket. AOC was left out to dry. nothing much he could do there.

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 10:33 PM
Duke has missed a lot of free throws tonight.

ChrisP
01-08-2020, 10:34 PM
Wheels. Coming. Off.

Ugh

devildeac
01-08-2020, 10:35 PM
Duke has missed a lot of free throws tonight.

3/8. Unimpressive.

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 10:36 PM
That is such a BS call on Carey.

Also if Pastner got a T every time he was out of the coaching box, he would spend every game in the locker room.

ChrisP
Jones needs to get his head out of you know where and into the game

DUKIE V(A)
Stay composed, make the solid play and things will work out.

CameronDuke
This 2nd half has been very herky jerky. Very choppy with lots of stoppages in play. Both teams aren’t in a good rhythm.

Aside from the 3 straight 3s drained from GT, I can’t remember much flow in this 2nd half thus far.

WHOneedsSOX
I've watched 3 minutes of this game and this does not look like basketball. Wild game. And why do they show the GA Tech coach every 15 seconds?

rsvman
01-08-2020, 10:37 PM
We are missing Moore.

Coach is contracting the rotation just like every other year. Might be time to give Baker and white some court time, give a breather to the guys on the court.

J4Kop99
01-08-2020, 10:37 PM
11-0 run — yet only down 3. Settle down here and execute.

ChrisP
01-08-2020, 10:38 PM
How is that not over the back on GT!?

Eternal Outlaw

Also if Pastner got a T every time he was out of the coaching box, he would spend every game in the locker room.

And Banks goes over the back at will

Sixthman
Banks rakes Matt’s arm on shot; not a great play. Then a moving screen with no call. Then an over the back with no call.

CameronDuke
Cassius. Stanley. For the love of mankind.

Bluedog
01-08-2020, 10:39 PM

Yep that was just a rebound.

devildeac
01-08-2020, 10:40 PM
Banks rakes Matt’s arm on shot; not a great play. Then a moving screen with no call. Then an over the back with no call.

AKA the Blackshear Treatment:mad:

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 10:41 PM
Man Stanley is showing some serious aggression. Good to see his assertiveness.

Phredd3
01-08-2020, 10:41 PM
Jack!!

UrinalCake
01-08-2020, 10:42 PM
Goldwire should have taken that all the way instead of trying to dump it off....

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 10:43 PM
What a game so far. Duke with 13 turnovers, out rebounded 28-22, and 4-9 from the line yet still up 1.

ndkjr70
01-08-2020, 10:43 PM
If both officials aren’t related to Banks it’ll be the most shocking news of 2020.

DUKIE V(A)
01-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Can’t look for or expect calls. We won’t get them. Need to be tough and make solid decisions.

Kjeffrey
01-08-2020, 10:46 PM
If both officials aren’t related to Banks it’ll be the most shocking news of 2020.

Maybe they give him and his teammate guitar lessons...

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 10:46 PM
Man Cassius Stanley is running a dunking exhibition.

rsvman
01-08-2020, 10:48 PM
I hope the basket that Carey made for Georgia tech in the first half doesn't come back to haunt us.

DUKIE V(A)
01-08-2020, 10:50 PM
Box out hard. Once. Please.

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 10:50 PM
63-61 Duke at the under 4.

Duke has made their fair share of mistakes tonight but they are hanging tough. Need to get more defensive rebounds, make free throws, and take care of the ball down the stretch to have a shot in this one.

Sixthman
01-08-2020, 10:51 PM
Need to catch Vernon lower in the post. We’re not giving him time to establish position.

downeastdad
01-08-2020, 10:52 PM

Duke has made their fair share of mistakes tonight but they are hanging tough. Need to get more defensive rebounds, make free throws, and take care of the ball down the stretch to have a shot in this one.

Free throws would be nice.

SavDukeGrad
We should give it to Vernon and go right at Banks. Every time.

arnie

Carey’s numbers are uncharacteristily below average tonite. It’s his game to win in last 4

construe
Both teams are very gassed right now, so lots of sloppy play. This is Duke's 1st tight game since the SFA nightmare, where K had to shorten the rotation and asked a lot from Tre (has he sat at all this game?). K is going to go with Tre, Jordan, Vernon, Cassius the rest of the way (barring foul issues). I hope Duke's conditioning is up for the task.

uh_no
01-08-2020, 10:53 PM
Box out hard. Once. Please.

carey getting bullied. if that's the way the game's gonna be called, he needs to toughen up. good lesson for him. even when he's not going over the back, banks is still out-fighting carey for boards.

SkyBrickey
01-08-2020, 10:55 PM

This

devildeac
01-08-2020, 10:56 PM

Yea, so they can refuse to call Banks for his 10th or 11th PF. :mad:

Phredd3
01-08-2020, 10:59 PM
I know we want to slow the game down, but you have to make a move sooner than that.

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 11:00 PM
Why did we take Vernon out?

SkyBrickey
01-08-2020, 11:00 PM
He got all of Tres arm!

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 11:01 PM
Good block Javin!

Now knock these two free throws down!

J4Kop99
Big block and free throws JD!!

uh_no

he gets tired.

also as I was thinking about how much a liability javin had been, he comes in with a stellar defensive possession.

DangerDevil
01-08-2020, 11:02 PM

Maybe foul trouble worries?

Javin has come up huge!

CameronDuke
Let’s Go Duke! Way to fight boys!

Knock these down Jordan!

summerwind03
Yea, so they can refuse to call Banks for his 10th or 11th PF. :mad:

banks has had the elusive triple double--points, rebounds and fouls!

uh_no
Maybe foul trouble worries?

Javin has come up huge!

he got away with one there, though. got a lot of arm. I'll take it, though.

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 11:03 PM
So happy for Javin!

J4Kop99
01-08-2020, 11:03 PM
Close this out at the line Tre. No funny business here.

CameronDuke
01-08-2020, 11:04 PM
9-19 from the line tonight but looking like Duke will somehow survive!

Bluedog
01-08-2020, 11:05 PM
I didn't understand why Tre passed it to JGold to get foul. He didn't need to. I still miss the old days when JJ would just declare the ball and make the other team foul him and then he'd be automatic from the line. I guess we had something similar with Tyus.

arnie
01-08-2020, 11:06 PM
So happy for Javin!

Think he’s made like 6 in a row

JasonEvans
01-08-2020, 11:08 PM
This game came close to being one of the worst back door covers in gambling history. If Duke has hit FTs, I think it would have happened.