PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 12/23-12/29

pfrduke
12-23-2019, 02:49 AM
Not a lot to be proud of from last week and not a lot to keep the basketball fan entertained this week (maybe aside for Louisville-Kentucky on Saturday). It’s the last of the doldrums before conference play.

Monday
[105]Georgia Tech (+8) vs. [31]Houston in Honolulu (7:00)

Tuesday is dark

Wednesday
[105]Georgia Tech vs. [42]Washington/[154]Hawaii (TBD)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday
[2]Duke (-27) hosts [231]Brown (11:30, ESPN2)
[17]Florida State (-24) hosts [282]North Alabama (2:00, ACCNX)
[3]Louisville (-1) at [16]Kentucky (3:45, CBS)
[58]Syracuse (-21) hosts [313]Niagara (7:00, ACCNX)

Sunday
[66]Notre Dame (-24) hosts [337]Alabama A&M (12:00, ACCNX)
[22]Virginia (-18) hosts [261]Navy (4:00, ESPN2)
[36]NC State (-13) hosts [138]Appalachian State (4:00, ACCN)
[65]Virginia Tech (-28) hosts [351]Maryland-Eastern Shore (6:00, ACCNX)

ACC Non-Conference: 109-39
ACC vs. Power 5: 23-25

America East: 5-0
American: 4-2
Atlantic-10: 2-3
Atlantic Sun: 3-0
Big XII: 3-3
Big East: 2-2
Big Sky: 1-0
Big South: 10-0
Big Ten: 9-11
Big West: 1-0
Colonial: 5-0
CUSA: 4-1
Horizon: 5-0
Ivy: 3-1
MAAC:
MAC: 4-1
MEAC: 7-0
MVC: 2-0
MWC: 2-0
Northeast: 8-0
Ohio Valley: 1-1
Pac-12: 6-2
Patriot: 4-0
SEC: 3-7
Southern: 6-1
Southland: 1-2
Sun Belt: 2-0
SWAC: 4-0
WAC: 2-0
WCC: 0-2

TruBlu
12-23-2019, 06:47 AM
The cheaters will not have a chance to lose this week. Bummer.

JasonEvans
12-23-2019, 10:53 AM
The cheaters will not have a chance to lose this week. Bummer.

Always find the rainbow through the rain... I see this week as one in which I am certain UNC will get zero wins.

jgehtland
12-23-2019, 07:55 PM

JasonEvans
12-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Whew... there is a lot of chatter out there about Cole Anthony sitting all season and just prepping for the draft.

I have nothing to add... Just sayin' it is worth keeping an eye upon this story.

ndkjr70
12-27-2019, 05:46 PM
Whew... there is a lot of chatter out there about Cole Anthony sitting all season and just prepping for the draft.

I have nothing to add... Just sayin' it is worth keeping an eye upon this story.

Can you elaborate?

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-27-2019, 05:58 PM

I mean, what’s he going to accomplish by pushing to play after surgery? Unless they’re gunning for a 1 seed... in the CBI or perhaps CIT. Then I guess I’d understand it.

MartyClark
12-27-2019, 06:36 PM
I mean, what’s he going to accomplish by pushing to play after surgery? Unless they’re gunning for a 1 seed... in the CBI or perhaps CIT. Then I guess I’d understand it.

Kyrie came back and I respect him for it. Zion came back. albeit from a lesser injury, and I respect him for it.

I don't know enough about Cole Anthony to guess on what he is going to do. From a selfish Duke fan perspective, I won't object if he doesn't come back.

I think he will though and I wish him well, other than when he is playing Duke.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-27-2019, 07:48 PM
Kyrie came back and I respect him for it. Zion came back. albeit from a lesser injury, and I respect him for it.

I don't know enough about Cole Anthony to guess on what he is going to do. From a selfish Duke fan perspective, I won't object if he doesn't come back.

My point was... they’re terrible. He is a great talent. But they’re not winning anything big this year, even with him on the court. That’s the difference between Zion and what we had hoped was possible with Kyrie given the other pieces in place on those teams.

ndkjr70
12-27-2019, 07:59 PM

You’re missing the point my man. Zion and Kyrie came back to 1-seed teams. If ALL of the chips fall the right way for UNC they’re a bubble team 9 seed headed towards a first weekend elimination. What’s the point?

sagegrouse
12-27-2019, 08:42 PM
You’re missing the point my man. Zion and Kyrie came back to 1-seed teams. If ALL of the chips fall the right way for UNC they’re a bubble team 9 seed headed towards a first weekend elimination. What’s the point?

How about this? He's a basketball player, and that's what they do. If he's a competitor -- which I am sure he is -- he will want to play if he's healthy.

BD80
12-27-2019, 08:43 PM

The real issue for Cole is whether he could improve his draft stock by coming back to play this year. He has not looked good so far. I'd say the heels lack of talent (and coaching?) has weighed him down.

ndkjr70
12-28-2019, 12:18 AM
How about this? He's a basketball player, and that's what they do. If he's a competitor -- which I am sure he is -- he will want to play if he's healthy.

Well that’s certainly a silly and shortsighted way to look at it. Why ignore context if there’s very real and tangible context?

It was risky for Zion and Kyrie to come back. They did, because there was a chance at college glory. Something they both wanted and something that was well within their grasp.

That college glory is not within Anthony’s grasp. For the same reason college players sit out the Belk bowl but play the CFP, this is a topic worth discussing whether or not you agree.

Neals384
12-28-2019, 01:56 AM
Well that’s certainly a silly and shortsighted way to look at it. Why ignore context if there’s very real and tangible context?

It was risky for Zion and Kyrie to come back. They did, because there was a chance at college glory. Something they both wanted and something that was well within their grasp.

That college glory is not within Anthony’s grasp. For the same reason college players sit out the Belk bowl but play the CFP, this is a topic worth discussing whether or not you agree.

I flagged your post. At DBR we try to be respectful and work to understand other’s views even when we disagree. I don’t think your opening sentence here fits our culture.

As for your closing clause, sage grouse never said this isn’t a topic worth discussing. To the contrary, he took the time to address your topic, and presented a reasonable alternate view.

It’s unfortunate, really, because the meat of your post - that future NBA players will consider the prospects for NCAA team success when deciding whether to sit out - is well stated and a reasonable viewpoint.

OldPhiKap
12-28-2019, 08:36 AM

This is my default until proven otherwise.

JasonEvans
12-28-2019, 09:24 AM
This is my default until proven otherwise.

I agree but there are inflection points where things start to change in unexpected ways. There is no question more and more players are opting for something other than NCAA basketball as a way of preparing for the NBA draft. There has been an increase in players playing overseas and we are starting to see more guys sitting out. We've really never had someone do what Wiseman did this year, leaving a really good team in the middle of the season. Maybe it is a one-off situation or maybe it is the start of something. I know that Wiseman and Cole know each other from playing many all-star events together and they may be talking about all this.

I'm not saying it is likely, but I think that more and more guys are going to consider this now that Wiseman showed that it is a viable option to consider.

richardjackson199
12-28-2019, 11:13 AM
I agree but there are inflection points where things start to change in unexpected ways. There is no question more and more players are opting for something other than NCAA basketball as a way of preparing for the NBA draft. There has been an increase in players playing overseas and we are starting to see more guys sitting out. We've really never had someone do what Wiseman did this year, leaving a really good team in the middle of the season. Maybe it is a one-off situation or maybe it is the start of something. I know that Wiseman and Cole know each other from playing many all-star events together and they may be talking about all this.

I'm not saying it is likely, but I think that more and more guys are going to consider this now that Wiseman showed that it is a viable option to consider.

Anthony will be back. There is immense pressure in Chapel Hill from all angles for him to return. All in Cheatville will sweat it until he suits back up. He'll consider sitting out, but he'll be back sometime in January. And we'll beat them twice with no excuses.

TKG
12-28-2019, 05:57 PM
Louisville and Kentucky headed to OT.

TKG
12-28-2019, 06:23 PM
Louisville and Kentucky headed to OT.

Kentucky 78 Louisville 70

AGDukesky
12-28-2019, 08:01 PM
Always find the rainbow through the rain... I see this week as one in which I am certain UNC will get zero wins.

Although not a UNC win or loss, the UCLA team that just gave UNC its only recent win just lost at home to a Cal State Fullerton team that was previously 3-10...

sagegrouse
12-29-2019, 12:52 AM

I asserted that "healthy basketball players are gonna play." You said that was "Silly and short-sighted." Ignoring the insult only for the moment, perhaps you can offer some examples of star college basketball players who, although healthy, decide to sit out the rest of the college season. Why is "sitting out" even rational? Any such player would be training nearly full time for NBA stuff -- it's a lot more fun to play, which, of course, is what players do.

I notice your recent posts have been fairly negative about Duke players and other posters -- why is that?

jv001
12-29-2019, 11:16 AM
I asserted that "healthy basketball players are gonna play." You said that was "Silly and short-sighted." Ignoring the insult only for the moment, perhaps you can offer some examples of star college basketball players who, although healthy, decide to sit out the rest of the college season. Why is "sitting out" even rational? Any such player would be training nearly full time for NBA stuff -- it's a lot more fun to play, which, of course, is what players do.

I notice your recent posts have been fairly negative about Duke players and other posters -- why is that?

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he/she has gone over to the dark side/cheat fandom. :cool:

GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Kentucky 78 Louisville 70

Textbook example of "closer than the score indicated..."