PDA

View Full Version : Get off my lawn!!!

DukieInBrasil
12-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Old man alert!
One of the sponsored videos below the Jabari Parker front-page article was a mess of a hot-take click-bait. The announcer incredulously gushed about how Ja Morant "jumped over" and "dunked on" Kevin Love, even though a) he didn't actually jump over him, though almost and b) actually missed the dunk, though it was close.
Now to be fair, at other points in the video the announcer did say he almost jumped over Love and missed the dunk, but that didn't stop him from also incorrectly saying that he did in fact jump over him and did in fact dunk on him.
Now, i'm just an old man, but it really irritates me that just to get people to pay attention to any particular person's brand, that person has to lie, inflate, or confabulate the contents of the thing they're selling. It's an ancient tradition known as snake-oil, but when we can actually see in real time that the person is lying, it rubs me wrong. Kinda like the current iteration of American politics, but that's a different bag...
Feel free to use this thread to post items about how irritated you get withe new fangled things that the kids are doing these days. Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!

Bob Green
12-21-2019, 02:10 PM
I saw the video clip on Tweeter this morning with an obnoxious headline so I retweeted it with the following comment:

“He missed...should’ve passed the ball!”

Steven43
12-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Now, i'm just an old man, but it really irritates me that just to get people to pay attention to any particular person's brand, that person has to lie, inflate, or confabulate the contents of the thing they're selling. Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!

“Confabulate” is a good word. Underused, in my opinion.

By the way, do you know if elderly people literally still tell others to get off their lawn or is that just a quaint relic of the past?

Pghdukie
12-21-2019, 02:54 PM
I'm not elderly, not young either - But I still use it frequently!

AGDukesky
12-21-2019, 03:06 PM
In honor of this thread, I hate the way people use the word “literally” when they do not, in fact, mean literally...also, Get off my lawn!

TruBlu
12-21-2019, 03:19 PM

By the way, do you know if elderly people literally still tell others to get off their lawn or is that just a quaint relic of the past?

Very much the opposite. I’m elderly, unfortunately by a lot.

My driveway is the bus stop for school kids, on a corner lot. I noticed that parents were insisting that their kids walk around my yard on the street. I had a talk with the parents and asked them to let the kids cut through my lawn, since there are no sidewalks in the neighborhood, and I would rather repeatedly plant grass than take the chance that a kid get hit by an idiot driver (of which there are many). I even let the kids stay in my garage during bad weather.

On the other hand, if adults (some with pooping dogs) cut through my yard, “get off my lawn” is one of my milder responses to the offenders.

Steven43
12-21-2019, 04:43 PM
In honor of this thread, I hate the way people use the word “literally” when they do not, in fact, mean literally...also, Get off my lawn!

On the contrary, I was in fact inquiring as to whether or not people LITERALLY still use that phrase. Not sure how you thought you could know what my intent was in using that word without first asking me directly.

DukieInBrasil
12-21-2019, 06:58 PM
On the contrary, I was in fact inquiring as to whether or not people LITERALLY still use that phrase. Not sure how you thought you could know what my intent was in using that word without first asking me directly.

i get the feeling their response wasn't directed to you in any way, seeing as how s/he didn't quote you or use your handle. In fact, one could surmise that s/he was taking liberty given by me to complain about the newfangled things kids are doing these days. Oh! the irony...

AGDukesky
12-21-2019, 07:11 PM
i get the feeling their response wasn't directed to you in any way, seeing as how s/he didn't quote you or use your handle. In fact, one could surmise that s/he was taking liberty given by me to complain about the newfangled things kids are doing these days. Oh! the irony...

Yes, I didn’t even see his post when I made mine. I was thinking of my teenage daughter and all of her friends. My comment about the thread was probably too obtuse, sorry!

jimsumner
12-21-2019, 07:28 PM
I'm literally the only person on this board allowed to complain about the misuse of the word "literally."

Now, get off my lawn.

-jk
12-21-2019, 07:33 PM
I'm literally the only person on this board allowed to complain about the misuse of the word "literally."

Now, get off my lawn.

I suppose this deserves a compliment!

-jk

Indoor66
12-21-2019, 07:34 PM
Now, get off my lawn.

Do you mean that literally?

Tripping William
12-21-2019, 07:34 PM

Now, get off my lawn.

I suppose this deserves a compliment!

-jk

Y’all are literally killing me here.

jacone21
12-21-2019, 07:45 PM
I read an article today about the 8 year old youtube millionaire who reviews toys. The world has passed me by, literally.

MChambers
12-21-2019, 07:56 PM

Many years ago, when my daughter was in elementary school, maybe around third grade, she was a voracious reader. One night, at dinner, my wife used “literally” incorrectly. Our daughter excitedly said, “Mom, you don’t mean ‘literally’, you mean ‘fugitively’.

To this day, when someone misuses “literally”, I think they mean “fugitively”.

Steven43
12-21-2019, 08:42 PM

Now, get off my lawn.
Made me laugh, Jim 😆

brevity
12-21-2019, 08:52 PM
We’ve done the grammar pet peeve thing before, but to address the original post, I hate headlines that claim anyone is breaking their silence on an issue if they weren’t silent for any meaningful length of time.

Tuesday morning headline: Senator Embroiled in Scandal
Tuesday evening headline: Wife of Scandalized Senator Breaks Her Silence

It happens a lot. I don’t know how we should define a meaningful length of silence, but speaking out within the first week hardly feels like any silence has been broken.

Many years ago, when my daughter was in elementary school, maybe around third grade, she was a voracious reader. One night, at dinner, my wife used “literally” incorrectly. Our daughter excitedly said, “Mom, you don’t mean ‘literally’, you mean ‘fugitively’.

To this day, when someone misuses “literally”, I think they mean “fugitively”.

DR. RICHARD KIMBLE: This has been literally the worst day of my life.

DEPUTY MARSHAL SAMUEL GERARD: You don’t mean “literally”. What about the day your wife died and you got arrested for her murder? Today was fugitively the worst day of your life.

KIMBLE: What are you, the Grammar Police as well?

GERARD: I’m a Grammar U.S. Marshal and so is every member of my team!

MARSHAL BOBBY BIGGS: This conversation is getting hinky.

GERARD: Don’t use “hinky”!

BD80
12-21-2019, 10:51 PM

MARSHAL BOBBY BIGGS: This conversation is getting hinky.

GERARD: Don’t use “hinky”!

What doe that even mean?

camion
12-21-2019, 10:55 PM

I’m old and I do. I even bought a cane so I could shake it for emphasis. :mad:

And I don’t even have a lawn.

sagegrouse
12-21-2019, 10:58 PM
I’m old and I do. :mad:

And I don’t even have a lawn.

I have a lawn, and it frequently has piles of bear poop on it. I am fairly careful about asserting my ownership privileges.

BD80
12-21-2019, 11:04 PM
I have a lawn, and it frequently has piles of bear poop on it. I am fairly careful about asserting my ownership privileges.

Bears don't poop in the woods?

Hell, I even tell squirrels to get off my lawn.

tteettimes
12-22-2019, 12:03 AM
I have a memory........it makes me cry.....

Merry Christmas.......sorry

Kdogg
12-22-2019, 09:56 AM
It happens a lot. I don’t know how we should define a meaningful length of silence, but speaking out within the first week hardly feels like any silence has been broken.

It also bothers me. In this short attention span, 24/7 news cycle world, if someone doesn’t tweet, or post on Instagram or Facebook right away it’s considered silence.

For the record, I was born an old man. My body is just catching up. Now off my lawn you whippersnappers.

Fish80
12-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Perhaps the bear was not literally pooping but rather looking around fugitively whilst pooping. Haha, I never used whilst and pooping in the same sentence before. ;)

Indoor66
12-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Perhaps the bear was not literally pooping but rather looking around fugitively whilst pooping. Haha, I never used whilst and pooping in the same sentence before. ;)

...and probably never should again if that is the product! :mad::rolleyes::cool:

jimsumner
12-22-2019, 02:55 PM
I suspect bears poop where they darn well please.