PDA

View Full Version : Hooters and Golf

johnb
11-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Meaning no disrespect to one of our number who works for the organization, it strikes me as odd the women's golf team won a big tournament named after "Hooters." Seems to me that there is enough objectification of young women in the world that our 18-22 year old female athletes shouldn't be mandated to support a business that is organized around women's breasts.

From the company's website: "many consider 'Hooters' a slang term for a portion of the female anatomy," but it adds, "Hooters Girls have the same right to use their natural female sex appeal to earn a living as do supermodels Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell."

That may well be true, but does anyone find it unsavory that the NCAA sets up their athletes in such a way?

killerleft
11-06-2007, 08:23 PM
I just ask myself What Would Kim Curtis Do? Since she'd agree with you, I just say "nope".

More seriously, I guess, I would say Hooters is no worse than a lot of other sponsors who probably shouldn't be allowed to be associated with college sports. Nike comes to mind.

EarlJam
11-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Sex sells. Always has, always will. I see no problem with it as long as no forced explotation or involvement or criminal activity is involved.

A gut feeling tells me that the girls/athletes you mention have no problem with it. If they did, they should voice their opinion.

Besides, Hooters used to be all about women's breasts. Now, I honestly think it's more about the food. Most people I know go there for the good chicken wings.

-EarlJam

jimbonelson
11-06-2007, 08:38 PM
good chicken wings??? not in the inner harbor

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2007, 09:01 PM
I had dinner tonight at Hooters, in Anderson, SC, just down the road from Clemson.

Took a drive through Clemson earlier this afternoon. I had no idea it was that big a campus. Very impressed. Drove by Death Valley and looked in through the front gate. Saw the rock. Very nice!

throatybeard
11-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Meaning no disrespect to one of our number who works for the organization, it strikes me as odd the women's golf team won a big tournament named after "Hooters." Seems to me that there is enough objectification of young women in the world that our 18-22 year old female athletes shouldn't be mandated to support a business that is organized around women's breasts.

From the company's website: "many consider 'Hooters' a slang term for a portion of the female anatomy," but it adds, "Hooters Girls have the same right to use their natural female sex appeal to earn a living as do supermodels Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell."

That may well be true, but does anyone find it unsavory that the NCAA sets up their athletes in such a way?

I'm glad someone said this. I just thought it was an ironic moment in the history of Title IX.

rthomas
11-07-2007, 07:45 AM
It's preparing them from the LPGA. To see what I mean watch my favorite reality show: The Natalie Gulbis Show on the Golf Channel. Or better yet: check out this page: http://www.golf.com/golf/gallery/article/0,28242,1632290,00.html

Women's pro golf is 90% talent, 10% sex. Maybe I have the percentages wrong.

Indoor66
11-07-2007, 09:00 AM
I had dinner tonight at Hooters, in Anderson, SC, just down the road from Clemson.

Took a drive through Clemson earlier this afternoon. I had no idea it was that big a campus. Very impressed. Drove by Death Valley and looked in through the front gate. Saw the rock. Very nice!

Did you see the lake? Remember the game in '66 when the Clemson center hiked the ball through the end zone and it was jokingly called as hiked into the lake? That center later went to Duke Law.