PDA

View Full Version : Saturday, Jan 11............does clemson break the curse?

moonpie23
12-15-2019, 07:17 PM
i'm pulling for the tigers....

OldPhiKap
12-15-2019, 07:21 PM
i'm pulling for the tigers...

No. Some laws are immutable.

devildeac
12-15-2019, 07:27 PM

Might take 6 refs with whistles and ugly blue and black striped shirts, but, if that's what it takes, swofford will arrange it :mad:.

Acymetric
12-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Doubt it. Has anyone heard from Klemnop (sp?)?

Troublemaker
12-15-2019, 07:50 PM
No. Also, it seems like the forum has been "selling low" on UNC lately. As long as Anthony and Black aren't out for a significant amount of time, they're still going to become a good and tough team to beat. (Let's say top 20 in the country if you want a number). Roy's teams have sometimes underachieved their talent in Nov / Dec, but by Feb / March, they're usually playing their best ball.

OldPhiKap
12-15-2019, 07:51 PM
Doubt it. Has anyone heard from Klemnop (sp?)?

No, but if we hear of a streaker on Franklin Street we will know who it is.

moonpie23
12-15-2019, 07:55 PM
not that this is any indication of ANY reality, but over at IC, they're saying cole's "camp" has said "no more".....

CDu
12-15-2019, 07:58 PM
No. Also, it seems like the forum has been "selling low" on UNC lately. As long as Anthony and Black aren't out for a significant amount of time, they're still going to become a good and tough team to beat. (Let's say top 20 in the country if you want a number). Roy's teams have sometimes underachieved their talent in Nov / Dec, but by Feb / March, they're usually playing their best ball.

Yep. As long as Anthony is out, UNC could lose to anybody in the ACC. If he is back, it is really unlikely they lose to Clemson.

OldPhiKap
12-15-2019, 08:00 PM

This feels to be right.

arnie
12-15-2019, 08:09 PM

Agree about Cole, but Leaky Black? That be similar to us claiming the return of O’Connell (if he were out) would substantially improve our success. Black was not highly recruited and to date hasn’t shown stardom.

I don’t see them as Top 25 this year. Losing to Clemson at the dump, though, is likely mission impossible.

wsb3
12-15-2019, 08:12 PM
not that this is any indication of ANY reality, but over at IC, they're saying cole's "camp" has said "no more"...

Wait. Do you mean IC is not a reputable source of accurate information?

Music man55
12-15-2019, 08:57 PM
I don't know if Clemson could beat the cheats in Chapel Hill even if only the walk one's suited up for the holes. I could only wish.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-15-2019, 09:07 PM
Clemson is currently in the midst of a 4-game losing streak, including a 13-point loss today at home against South Carolina. That doesn't make me particularly optimistic. Tree Rollins is not walking through that door...

OldPhiKap
12-15-2019, 09:15 PM
Tree Rollins is not walking through that door...

. . . And Zion never even enrolled . . . .

HereBeforeCoachK
12-15-2019, 09:51 PM
Clemson is currently in the midst of a 4-game losing streak, including a 13-point loss today at home against South Carolina. That doesn't make me particularly optimistic. Tree Rollins is not walking through that door...

...and a bad SC team at that....

BD80
12-15-2019, 10:02 PM

But what if some of the tar heel players are ineligible due to academic trouble in their semester finals or in completing a final paper?

I crack myself up ... Like any tar heel player has a class, or a final, or a final paper.

OldPhiKap
12-15-2019, 10:12 PM
But what if some of the tar heel players are ineligible due to academic trouble in their semester finals or in completing a final paper?

I crack myself up ... Like any tar heel player has a class, or a final, or a final paper.

You have a career in comedy, my friend.

UrinalCake
12-15-2019, 10:52 PM
The streak is going to end eventually, just like our home non-conference streak was someday going to end. Would love for it to happen now just to add to the CHeats's misery.

moonpie23
12-15-2019, 10:56 PM
i would love for it to happen anytime, but....our recent debacle makes me wish that it would happen to them when they had an awesome team, ranked #1 and the tiggers were 0-12.....

Furniture
12-15-2019, 11:45 PM
jinx me thinx....

Truth&Justise
12-16-2019, 10:39 AM
Remember, even in 2002, when UNC was an unfathomable 8-20, including a 4-12 record in ACC play...one of those wins was a *blowout* home win over an equally-bad Clemson team. So I'm not holding my breath.

Man, that 2002 season was something special. UNC began with a home loss to Hampton, and followed that up with home losses to Davidson and Indiana. They briefly got to .500 with a win over Texas A&M, and then went 3-15 the rest of the season. What a year!

PackMan97
12-16-2019, 11:10 AM
Remember, even in 2002, when UNC was an unfathomable 8-20, including a 4-12 record in ACC play...one of those wins was a *blowout* home win over an equally-bad Clemson team. So I'm not holding my breath.

Man, that 2002 season was something special. UNC began with a home loss to Hampton, and followed that up with home losses to Davidson and Indiana. They briefly got to .500 with a win over Texas A&M, and then went 3-15 the rest of the season. What a year!

Yes, this is known as that season where Herb got 40% of his Ws against UNC (over a 10 year span). Good times.

Troublemaker
12-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Agree about Cole, but Leaky Black? That be similar to us claiming the return of O’Connell (if he were out) would substantially improve our success. Black was not highly recruited and to date hasn’t shown stardom.

I don’t see them as Top 25 this year. Losing to Clemson at the dump, though, is likely mission impossible.

Leaky Black is a starter, and they don't have the depth to survive losing a starter.

Moreover, I like Black a lot, although he's had a rough start to the season. I think in time he'll develop into Theo Pinson with better shooting. So, basically a big wing that adds defense, some PG skills in Carolina's offense, and generally just versatility. He's better than AOC.

Skydog
12-16-2019, 02:34 PM
Kenpom currently has the cheats as 88% to win. But I don't think his algorithm takes into account the possible absence of Cole. If he's still out then this not so great Tigers team will still have a decent chance.

Clemson: "So ...you're saying there's a chance?"

Spanarkel
12-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Leaky Black is a starter, and they don't have the depth to survive losing a starter.

Moreover, I like Black a lot, although he's had a rough start to the season. I think in time he'll develop into Theo Pinson with better shooting. So, basically a big wing that adds defense, some PG skills in Carolina's offense, and generally just versatility. He's better than AOC.

AOC is having a rough start to his season, and his per-40 numbers are still way better than Black's: 13.5ppg vs. 7.4/8.4 boards per game vs. 6.8.
IF AOC were currently shooting last season's .375 on threes, his per-40 ppg would be 18.

Devilwin
12-17-2019, 12:03 PM
No. The Blue Witch of Chapel Hill has for some reason cursed Clemson. As long as they (UNC) can field five players, Clemson loses again.:mad:

AGDukesky
12-17-2019, 12:10 PM
No chance- the curse is so bad that the Clemson football team almost lost this season...

kshepinthehouse
12-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Probably not. You just jinxed it anyway.

arnie
12-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Raleigh N and O just reported Cole Anthony had knee surgery today to repair torn meniscus. Out 4-6 weeks which seems about right. Makes the Clemson game more interesting.

OldPhiKap
12-17-2019, 05:31 PM
Raleigh N and O just reported Cole Anthony had knee surgery today to repair torn meniscus. Out 4-6 weeks which seems about right. Makes the Clemson game more interesting.

Don't do it to yourself. It's the hope that kills you.

-jk
12-17-2019, 05:58 PM

It's not "if" Clemson will lose, but how they do it - and break your heart at the same time...

-jk

elvis14
12-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Most years Clemson just isn't as good as the Cheaters and they deserve to lose. When the teams are equal or if Clemson is better the ACC will simply not allow Clemson to win. Some of the calls I've witnessed over the years...smh...

arnie
12-17-2019, 06:45 PM

I know, I know, I know, I know ... written a hundred times on my chalkboard at school.😣

cato
12-17-2019, 11:24 PM
Most years Clemson just isn't as good as the Cheaters and they deserve to lose. When the teams are equal or if Clemson is better the ACC will simply not allow Clemson to win. Some of the calls I've witnessed over the years...smh...

Also, there is Clemsoning. Which Clemson will always do, in Chapel Hill.

DukieTiger
12-17-2019, 11:42 PM
As a Clemson alum, there was speculation that the Tigers sold their basketball souls to the devil for the sake of a certain missed field goal kick a couple years back. Lo and behold, Bart Torvik gave NCST approximately a 1% chance of winning last year's hoops contest when the Tigers were up 6 with 24 seconds to play... Yet State won.

Let me join the speculation that Clemson will fail to break the curse - losing in spectacular fashion - in a few weeks. After all, is there any more logical reason why Mack would go for 2, than that some similar deal had been struck?

duke2x
12-18-2019, 12:21 AM
Agree about Cole, but Leaky Black? That be similar to us claiming the return of O’Connell (if he were out) would substantially improve our success. Black was not highly recruited and to date hasn’t shown stardom. I don’t see them as Top 25 this year. Losing to Clemson at the dump, though, is likely mission impossible.

This is a group that thinks losing Zion Williamson to a shoe injury is equivalent to Sterling Manly being out.

Remember, even in 2002, when UNC was an unfathomable 8-20, including a 4-12 record in ACC play...one of those wins was a *blowout* home win over an equally-bad Clemson team. So I'm not holding my breath. Man, that 2002 season was something special. UNC began with a home loss to Hampton, and followed that up with home losses to Davidson and Indiana. They briefly got to .500 with a win over Texas A&M, and then went 3-15 the rest of the season. What a year!

The 2002 UNC team will always be my favorite. The season started so well with a loss to the EA All Stars.

Might take 6 refs with whistles and ugly blue and black striped shirts, but, if that's what it takes, swofford will arrange it :mad:.
From the future box score-- Officials: Wanda Williams, Kenny Smith, Scott Smith. (I believe the third is now an ACC lacrosse ref but used to officiate G5 basketball.)

No. The Blue Witch of Chapel Hill has for some reason cursed Clemson. As long as they (UNC) can field five players, Clemson loses again.:mad:

This is true. Clemson had a good team in 1998 but was forced to finish the game with a 2-2 zone and lost by 8-10.

In summary, this isn't the Clemson team to end the streak. I just want Clemson to lose at home on 1/14.

AGDukesky
12-18-2019, 08:40 AM
That 1998 game was one of Rick Barnes’ finest moments- the officials, however, not so much...

OldPhiKap
12-18-2019, 08:52 AM
one of Rick Barnes’ finest moments

Talk about a paucity of choice.

left_hook_lacey
12-18-2019, 12:35 PM
Talk about a paucity of choice.

I've been neglecting to comment on this thread until I had seen some more games, but I believe this is the year it gets broken. Someone had to have sacrificed a lamb or something in 2002 for it not to get broken then, but I just can't envision this UNC team beating hardly anyone, with or without Anthony. They are that bad.

We are only about 10 games into the season and UNC has already broken records for being bad. Worst home loss in the RW era. They lost to Wofford in Carmichael. I think we can add lose to Clemson at home to that list.

This is going to be 8-20 all over again. Get your popcorn and enjoy the ride.

elvis14
12-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Also, there is Clemsoning. Which Clemson will always do, in Chapel Hill.

'Clemsoning' is not really a thing. It's kind of like saying 'Duke gets all the calls'. Just no.

As for the basketball team, of course in a year where the Cheaters are terrible, the Tigers will find a way to be more terrible. Note, although I'm a Clemson alum, I do not follow Clemson hoops at all (spend my time on DBR instead of TigerNet). Talked with a friend yesterday who informed me that the Tigers suck right now and the curse will not be broken. Sigh

CameronBlue
12-18-2019, 01:32 PM
I've been neglecting to comment on this thread until I had seen some more games, but I believe this is the year it gets broken. Someone had to have sacrificed a lamb or something in 2002 for it not to get broken then, but I just can't envision this UNC team beating hardly anyone, with or without Anthony. They are that bad.

We are only about 10 games into the season and UNC has already broken records for being bad. Worst home loss in the RW era. They lost to Wofford in Carmichael. I think we can add lose to Clemson at home to that list.

This is going to be 8-20 all over again. Get your popcorn and enjoy the ride.

How many asterisks should the Tigers claim? In 98 the Cheats were in full-throated cheating mode. That's one victory right there they should claim.

fidel
12-18-2019, 01:50 PM
I am thinking a GoFundMe to get as many Clemson kids in the stands as possible.

Then get the popcorn ready.

left_hook_lacey
12-18-2019, 04:28 PM
How many asterisks should the Tigers claim? In 98 the Cheats were in full-throated cheating mode. That's one victory right there they should claim.

Probably all of them, including the ones they lost at Little John. 😂

CameronBlue
12-18-2019, 08:01 PM
No, but if we hear of a streaker on Franklin Street we will know who it is.

They'll probably just issue a Silver Alert.

devilirium
12-19-2019, 09:50 AM
Yep. As long as Anthony is out, UNC could lose to anybody in the ACC. If he is back, it is really unlikely they lose to Clemson.

Anthony or no Anthony.. UNC is the little train that could now. If Bilas says it 50x in a game ( like last nite) well it must be true.

dukebluesincebirth
12-19-2019, 10:10 AM
I had to think about this one before giving an opinion, but after watching unc play gonzaga, I think I'll go with the cheats continuing the streak. We have to remember, this is an absolute unbreakable curse on clemson at this point. It's going to be very difficult to break, and I never count out sorry ole carolina luck. Now carolina luck doesn't make a bad team good, but it helps in curse situations like clemson's. After watching the holes against the zags, I can see them being able to at least keep it close at home against clemson. They were down by 7 at half to gonzaga, and I don't think clemson is near as good as home-team gonzaga. So clemson may very well be able to keep it close in CH, but there will be a loose ball foul, a player slip down, something quirky that happens to get unc the win. Something will happen, for sure. And this is all assuming anthony doesn't play. If he plays, they definitely win. Don't get me wrong, I'll be pulling like hell for Clemson. I always do. And they always lose.

CameronBornAndBred
12-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Clemson lost to Yale today, AT Clemson, so I wouldn't count on it.
By the way, guess who plays Carolina next?

throatybeard
12-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Honestly I've stopped caring about this. Like, I'll be glad when Clemson does it one day, but it certainly doesn't motivate me to actually watch a UNC game.

BLPOG
01-05-2020, 09:18 PM
Bump...less than a week away

BD80
01-05-2020, 09:23 PM
I confess that I enjoy unc losses nearly as much as I enjoy Duke wins. Yes, I am a shallow human being, but watching unc skate with respect to their academic cheating sent me over the edge.

I would REALLY enjoy a Tiger victory on Saturday.

accfanfrom1970
01-05-2020, 09:31 PM
I confess that I enjoy unc losses nearly as much as I enjoy Duke wins. Yes, I am a shallow human being, but watching unc skate with respect to their academic cheating sent me over the edge.

You are either not shallow,or not the only shallow human being. I second this and feel exactly the same way. unc can GTH and I relish every loss and hope they lose every game in embarrassing fashion. I hope Clemson steps up and ends this.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-05-2020, 09:31 PM
Bump...less than a week away

True, but nobody in Tiger Town is thinking about this game, or this sport......

devildeac
01-05-2020, 09:36 PM

You are either not shallow,or not the only shallow human being. I second this and feel exactly the same way. unc can GTH and I relish every loss and hope they lose every game in embarrassing fashion. I hope Clemson steps up and ends this.

All in favor chant with me: GTHc, GTH!

SFA stopped our amazing non-conference win streak in CIS so it's time for the 50+ year old Clemson curse to be broken. All in favor, repeat above chant.

(Not I think it's really going to happen anytime soon, but...)

happydays1949
01-05-2020, 09:53 PM

Will not happen!

OldPhiKap
01-05-2020, 09:56 PM
Where’s Klemnop? I don’t think that he/she has posted in a few years. If you’re out there, I’m pulling for you!

What other Clemson posters do we have on board?

devildeac
01-05-2020, 09:59 PM
Where’s Klemnop? I don’t think that he/she has posted in a few years. If you’re out there, I’m pulling for you!

Elvis14.

devildeac
01-05-2020, 10:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwgqYz4A1eY

fuse
01-05-2020, 10:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwgqYz4A1eY

You hit the nail on the head. Wish this whole thread had been played out in the “don’t jinx it” thread after the fact.

In true Pete Gillen fashion, they’ll build a monument to Brownell if the impossible happens.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2020, 07:06 AM
Like a cat chasing a laser pointer’s dot . . . .

elvis14
01-06-2020, 07:13 AM

If loving it when the Cheaters lose makes me a shallow human being, please make room for me in the shallow end of the pool, I'm all in.

True, but nobody in Tiger Town is thinking about this game, or this sport...

Nope, Clemson is a football school and the are all in on the football game Monday night. My money is on the Tigers Monday night!

elvis14.

I went to grad school at Clemson, my parents live about 90 minutes away in Greenwood. I label myself a casual Clemson football fan but I have to admit that I know next to nothing about their basketball team. What I do know is that I want them to win in Cheater Hill. Between me just always waning those cheating [redacted]s to lose every single game, the history of Clemson never winning and being an alumni, I'd really like the see the Tigers pull out a victory.

Note, from talking with others, I have been told that the Clemson hoops team is pretty bad. But they did beat State this weekend and UNCheat sucks. And I don't mean 'sucks' in the general sense, we all know that. I mean their basketball team is not good. From what I hear they were blown out GT this weekend, the final score was not indicative of the game. But don't worry according to IC they will be the best team in the country.....next year. 9F

uh_no
01-06-2020, 07:24 AM
Note, from talking with others, I have been told that the Clemson hoops team is pretty bad. But they did beat State this weekend and UNCheat sucks.

Three things are sure: death, taxes, and the pack losing games they ought win.

Indoor66
01-06-2020, 08:20 AM

I, personally, give a pass to Klemnop on the streaking pledge. I hope you see this and see a victory Saturday.

BD80
01-06-2020, 10:35 AM
... UNCheat sucks. And I don't mean 'sucks' in the general sense, we all know that. ... 9F

unc sucks in every sense possible. And in every dimension possible, known or theoretical. In every language ever known to man or other sentient being.

unc SUCKS!

'nuff said.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2020, 11:13 AM
unc sucks in every sense possible. And in every dimension possible, known or theoretical. In every language ever known to man or other sentient being.

unc SUCKS!

'nuff said.

A non-Euclidean multiverse of suckitude.

Indoor66
01-06-2020, 11:31 AM

unc SUCKS!

'nuff said.

What do you REALLY think?

Troublemaker
01-06-2020, 11:32 AM
I do like that Clemson gets a week to prepare for this game while UNC has to play Pitt on Wednesday. Still, not gonna get sucked in.

robed deity
01-06-2020, 11:48 AM
It could happen, but I doubt it. UNC is not a good team this year, but I feel like they have at least a little upside. And the GT game may be their low point this season.

TruBlu
01-06-2020, 11:51 AM
...And the GT game may be their low point this season.

Let’s hope not!

SkyBrickey
01-06-2020, 11:58 AM
UNC is 58 on KenPom. Clemson is 95. It's at UNC. I would expect them to be favored by 4-6, but unlike most years, Clemson definitely has a shot...

MChambers
01-06-2020, 12:05 PM
UNC is 58 on KenPom. Clemson is 95. It's at UNC. I would expect them to be favored by 4-6, but unlike most years, Clemson definitely has a shot...

UNCheat is substantially weaker now, with two guards out. So it's probably closer than we think.

Also, T-Rank makes UNCheat a 1.6 point (57%) favorite. Still, the computers can't capture what the refs will do to Clemson.

uh_no
01-06-2020, 12:08 PM

7, with about 25% chance.

Lurkingdukedog
01-06-2020, 12:36 PM
...and a bad SC team at that...

Hmmmm - Didn't this South Carolina team beat Virginia in Charlottesville? There aren't a lot of "bad teams" that can do that.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-06-2020, 02:52 PM
Hmmmm - Didn't this South Carolina team beat Virginia in Charlottesville? There aren't a lot of "bad teams" that can do that.

There are probably a lot of bad teams that on a given day could be Virginia in Charlottesville, with the students on holiday and absolutely no atmosphere in JPJ Arena. This is also a UVA team that is not going to season well this year in my opinion.

I would add that this bad South Carolina team was whipped by Stetson at home in their next game.....a terrible Stetson team. They also got crushed by Houston, crushed by Wichita, and lost at home to Boston U....not College....BU. yes, this is a bad SC team.....and a UVa team that won't end up that hot either.

DevilYouKnow
01-06-2020, 03:31 PM
Count me in the "Tar Heels really suck this year, even with full health" camp.

But Clemson is even worse. The streak lives on.

JasonEvans
01-06-2020, 07:33 PM
What this thread needs right now is a poll!

-Jason "be careful, all votes are public" Evans

Steven43
01-06-2020, 08:47 PM
Roy's teams have sometimes underachieved their talent in Nov / Dec, but by Feb / March, they're usually playing their best ball.
It’s been true many times in the past and will likely be proven to be true again this season. I don’t welcome it one bit, but I’ve seen this movie too many times to doubt it. Roy just knows how to win, dadgummit.

golfinesquire
01-06-2020, 08:55 PM
It’s been true many times in the past and will likely be proven to be true again this season. I don’t welcome it one bit, but I’ve seen this movie too many times to doubt it. Roy just knows how to win, dadgummit.

I believe that one of the problems here is that this team does not have that much talent, especially with the Anthonys sidelined.

Steven43
01-06-2020, 09:05 PM

unc SUCKS!

'nuff said.

Are you talking mainly about the men’s basketball team?

CameronBlue
01-06-2020, 09:06 PM
In an attempt to bolster his team's confidence Roy gets Swofford to publicly compare both teams' transcripts but much to his team's embarrassment Roy discovers that Clemson players are actually enrolled in legitimate degree programs. Unfortunately Clemson still loses the basketball game but the Tigers get a hearty chuckle when it is learned that during his Undergraduate admissions interview Cole Anthony was asked "What's your favorite disability?" and answered "wart eye".

Steven43
01-06-2020, 09:27 PM
I believe that one of the problems here is that this team does not have that much talent, especially with the Anthonys sidelined.

I hear you; their talent is a bit lacking with Cole Anthony and Anthony Harris out with injuries. But even without those two they still have a 5-star recruit and five others who were 4-star recruits. Most schools around the country would kill for that level of talent. And Cole Anthony will return to the court before the ACC tournament. UNC is going to be fine, unfortunately.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2020, 09:34 PM
I have seen Roy do his Lazarus act before. He often starts slow; his teams usually finish fine.

This is not a great UNC team, but this is not a great ACC slate unfortunately. My default is that the make the tourney. Would love to be wrong.

moonpie23
01-07-2020, 08:14 AM
My default is that the make the tourney.

Bilas will see to it !!

jv001
01-07-2020, 11:35 AM
I voted in the poll cheats to win in a big way. Trying everything to get the Tigers a win with a jinx vote.

GTHC and GoDuke!

BLPOG
01-07-2020, 11:47 AM

...but I'm not about to get my hopes up.

arnie
01-07-2020, 12:15 PM
You hit the nail on the head. Wish this whole thread had been played out in the “don’t jinx it” thread after the fact.

In true Pete Gillen fashion, they’ll build a monument to Brownell if the impossible happens.

And Cheats bring back Doherty to finish the season.

BLPOG
01-07-2020, 05:37 PM
There might be a better open thread for this one, but...

Roy Williams calls UNC team 'least gifted I've ever coached' (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28441970/roy-williams-calls-unc-team-least-gifted-ever-coached)

duketaylor
01-07-2020, 11:07 PM
against Pitt for as low as $8 thru Vivid. Sheesh, that's pitiful, but not surprising. Was gonna start a whole new thread, but that seemed a bit pitiful as well;)

Watching UK and UGA and some girl keeps screaming on every possession; I'd try to have her thrown out, almost as obnoxious as the Vandy dad who whistled the same cheer/thing on every pitch against us.

Edouble
01-07-2020, 11:10 PM
against Pitt for as low as $8 thru Vivid. Sheesh, that's pitiful, but not surprising. Was gonna start a whole new thread, but that seemed a bit pitiful as well;)

Watching UK and UGA and some girl keeps screaming on every possession; I'd try to have her thrown out, almost as obnoxious as the Vandy dad who whistled the same cheer/thing on every pitch against us.

Anyone remember the little girl at the Wake game at Cameron in 2014?

UrinalCake
01-07-2020, 11:54 PM
There might be a better open thread for this one, but...

“the coach blamed much of the poor start on the number of departures for the NBA draft after last season -- Coby White, Cameron Johnson and Nassir Little were first-round picks”

Let’s see, Johnson was a fifth year senior. Was Roy really caught off guard by his departure? Little was a top-3 player, if Roy wasn’t prepared for him to go OAD then he’s even dumber than he looks. White was a mild surprise, he was a low-5 star, but if he had stayed then Anthony wouldn’t have come so that’s basically a wash.

BD80
01-08-2020, 12:24 AM
[unc] against Pitt for as low as $8 thru Vivid. ...

You'd have to pay me a LOT more than that to watch that game ...

duke4ever19
01-08-2020, 01:04 AM
“the coach blamed much of the poor start on the number of departures for the NBA draft after last season -- Coby White, Cameron Johnson and Nassir Little were first-round picks”

Let’s see, Johnson was a fifth year senior. Was Roy really caught off guard by his departure? Little was a top-3 player, if Roy wasn’t prepared for him to go OAD then he’s even dumber than he looks. White was a mild surprise, he was a low-5 star, but if he had stayed then Anthony wouldn’t have come so that’s basically a wash.

Anyone with a 30-minute commute, take a listen to the recent 'Roy Williams Live' show on Carolina Insider podcast. The headlines are based off that interview and boy, it's a doozy.

The poor co-host tried to turn at least one of Roy's lemons into lemonade by mentioning Garrison Brooks having a good scoring game. Roy shut that down immediately by saying Brooks was an embarrassment on defense (as was the whole team). Roy said he could teach the audience how to play zone defense and they would do better than his own team.
It's the most negative I've heard a coach in a long time. For Duke fans, it's amusing, but I don't know how a tar heel fan should process that interview.

Edit: Sorry, UrinalCake. I wasn't responding directly to you, so I don't know why I quoted your post (which I agree with, btw). It's late.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-08-2020, 05:43 AM
I refuse to waste any optimism on Clemson winning in cheatville. But I will contribute to Klemnop’s bail If it happens! GTHc! 9F!

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-08-2020, 08:10 AM
You'd have to pay me a LOT more than that to watch that game ...
Yeah but think of the possibilities. Bunch of Dukies snag tickets and show up in Pantone 287 from head to toe...

Tripping William
01-08-2020, 08:26 AM
Yeah but think of the possibilities. Bunch of Dukies snag tickets and show up in Pantone 287 from head to toe...

Ol' Roy & his BB gun would kick them out. Ask the guys from Presbyterian.

BD80
01-08-2020, 08:47 AM
Ol' Roy & his BB gun would kick them out. Ask the guys from Presbyterian.

But ol' roy wouldn't ask his team to help. According to roy, his team can't defend anything, and they'd miss anything they shoot at.

mkirsh
01-08-2020, 08:49 AM
I voted for "Heels win big", but if there had been a "Clemson spectacularly blows large lead to somehow lose by double digits" choice I would have voted for that.

BD80
01-08-2020, 08:49 AM
Anyone with a 30-minute commute, take a listen to the recent 'Roy Williams Live' show on Carolina Insider podcast. The headlines are based off that interview and boy, it's a doozy.

The poor co-host tried to turn at least one of Roy's lemons into lemonade by mentioning Garrison Brooks having a good scoring game. Roy shut that down immediately by saying Brooks was an embarrassment on defense (as was the whole team). Roy said he could teach the audience how to play zone defense and they would do better than his own team.
It's the most negative I've heard a coach in a long time. For Duke fans, it's amusing, but I don't know how a tar heel fan should process that interview. ...

It sounds like an employee who has been on the job for too long …

I wish the co-host had brought up golf, just to test where ol' roy's heart and head were really at.

JasonEvans
01-08-2020, 10:45 AM

Umm, Duke has lost 3 guys to the draft pretty much every year and we annually come back with a top 5 team.

Duke players drafted by the NBA:
2019 - 3 players
2018 - 4 players
2017 - 4 players
2016 - 1 player
2015 - 3 players

uh_no
01-08-2020, 10:53 AM
Umm, Duke has lost 3 guys to the draft pretty much every year and we annually come back with a top 5 team.

2019 - 3 players
2018 - 4 players
2017 - 4 players
2016 - 1 player
2015 - 3 players

well, when your program's success is dependent on being unable to develop your talent in order to keep your "one and dones" for multiple years, when they somehow manage to be successful despite the instruction, you end up in a bit of pickle.

bundabergdevil
01-08-2020, 10:56 AM

2019 - 3 players
2018 - 4 players
2017 - 4 players
2016 - 1 player
2015 - 3 players

We have become a bit of a high end trade school for the NBA. Is what it is I suppose.

CDu
01-08-2020, 10:59 AM

2019 - 3 players
2018 - 4 players
2017 - 4 players
2016 - 1 player
2015 - 3 players

Yep. Basically, Roy stopped getting lucky with McD's All Americans staying an extra few years, and hasn't adapted with enough good recruits to sustain things.

To be fair, injuries have played a big part this season. If Anthony and Harris were healthy all year, they probably are still a tournament team. But they just have no depth whatsoever due to recruiting failures over the past few years. It really is the least talented team Roy has ever coached at Carolina. That's not meant to be a slam of those players, but more a reflection of the quality of the roster.

And it's been a few years coming. They got a bit lucky two years ago that Luke Maye so vastly exceeded expectations, which kept them afloat a bit longer. But this team has little margin for error, and not having their only two PGs (and the only impact player on their roster) exceeded that margin.

jv001
01-08-2020, 12:53 PM
Yep. Basically, Roy stopped getting lucky with McD's All Americans staying an extra few years, and hasn't adapted with enough good recruits to sustain things.

To be fair, injuries have played a big part this season. If Anthony and Harris were healthy all year, they probably are still a tournament team. But they just have no depth whatsoever due to recruiting failures over the past few years. It really is the least talented team Roy has ever coached at Carolina. That's not meant to be a slam of those players, but more a reflection of the quality of the roster.

And it's been a few years coming. They got a bit lucky two years ago that Luke Maye so vastly exceeded expectations, which kept them afloat a bit longer. But this team has little margin for error, and not having their only two PGs (and the only impact player on their roster) exceeded that margin.

And even more luck when they got a Pitt transfer(Cam Johnson) who played very well for them and from what some have said on the NBA thread, is doing very well in the NBA.

GoDuke!

SavDukeGrad
01-08-2020, 01:34 PM
And even more luck when they got a Pitt transfer(Cam Johnson) who played very well for them and from what some have said on the NBA thread, is doing very well in the NBA.

GoDuke!

Totally agree with their luck regarding Maye and Johnson. And remember Johnson was unusual - he had 2 years of eligibility left when he was allowed to transfer in-conference.

They also got lucky with Little - he fell in their laps due to the FBI investigation.

And Coby White committed to them early iirc (maybe even his junior year?) And really blew up after that, extending through his lone season in Chapel Hill.

So it looks like Roy’s luck has finally run out, and his recruiting misses are catching up with him.

CDu
01-08-2020, 02:25 PM

GoDuke!

Yeah, Johnson arriving and Maye emerging took what would have been a bad team the last two years and made them solid. They needed Brooks and one of the transfers to really emerge this year. Brooks has been solid, but the transfers have been useless for them. Add in the injuries to Anthony and Harris, and you get a bad outcome. Had Brooks become a First-Team All-ACC guy and one of the transfers been a solid starter and had Anthony been healthy, we probably would see an outcome more like what they had in 2019 instead of what we've seen.

BD80
01-08-2020, 09:23 PM
Is Clemson as bad as Pitt?

OldPhiKap
01-08-2020, 09:25 PM

No. But still won’t happen.

uh_no
01-08-2020, 09:39 PM

pitt is about 3 points better than clemson

Music man55
01-09-2020, 10:57 AM
Hey y'all, don't get me wrong,and I agree there's a good chance the cheats will keep the streak alive, but I'm starting to get a feeling about this game. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Clemson finally gets it done. I may have to eat these words, but I'll own it!

JasonEvans
01-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Hey y'all, don't get me wrong,and I agree there's a good chance the cheats will keep the streak alive, but I'm starting to get a feeling about this game. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Clemson finally gets it done. I may have to eat these words, but I'll own it!

You know there is a poll at the top of the thread and you can vote for the result you think will happen.

Currently, just under 25% of DBR posters agree with you that Clemson will win this one.

Acymetric
01-09-2020, 11:08 AM
You know there is a poll at the top of the thread and you can vote for the result you think will happen.

Currently, just under 25% of DBR posters agree with you that Clemson will win this one.

Look for the rest of us in the "I'm not going to jinx it" thread...

CameronBornAndBred
01-09-2020, 11:10 AM

I'll vote in the poll with about 30 seconds left in the game. Unless someone is winning by only 5 points.

Acymetric
01-09-2020, 11:14 AM
I'll vote in the poll with about 30 seconds left in the game. Unless someone is winning by only 5 points.

30 seconds? Make it 10 to be safe.

jacone21
01-09-2020, 11:22 AM

Yep.

I ain't votin in no poll!

SupaDave
01-09-2020, 12:26 PM
I voted for the Clemson win but I'm not betting on the game either. Clemson looks horrible.

And while Roy is trashing his team, do remember that last night UNC STARTED 2 5-stars, 2 4-stars, and one 3-star player...

UrinalCake
01-09-2020, 12:39 PM

I blame their current state of affairs on
- the 2013 and 2014 classes all staying longer than expected, which led to players in later classes not wanting to come. UNC fans love to blame the “scandal” for unfairly hurting their recruiting, but the truth is that having Justin Jackson return for his junior year Pinson and Hicks and Meeks stay four years, etc. is what drove other recruits away. Not only was there no playing time available, but Roy developed a reputation for holding players back. They reaped the benefits by winning a title, but now they’re seeing the negative effects.
- the decision to burn three scholarships on Brooks, Huffman, and Manley, all of whom were similar players. You can bring on one project, but not three. Brooks has turned out to be really good, but the other two are just filling space.
- Seventh Woods transferring and Jailek Felon choosing... another path
- the two grad transfers (Keeling and Pierce) being absolutely terrible. I didn’t think they would be as good as UNC fans thought they would be, but they’ve been even worse
- lots of injuries this season
- karma for decades of cheating, and also for making fun of Zion being injured last season

arnie
01-09-2020, 03:13 PM
I blame their current state of affairs on
- the 2013 and 2014 classes all staying longer than expected, which led to players in later classes not wanting to come. UNC fans love to blame the “scandal” for unfairly hurting their recruiting, but the truth is that having Justin Jackson return for his junior year Pinson and Hicks and Meeks stay four years, etc. is what drove other recruits away. Not only was there no playing time available, but Roy developed a reputation for holding players back. They reaped the benefits by winning a title, but now they’re seeing the negative effects.
- the decision to burn three scholarships on Brooks, Huffman, and Manley, all of whom were similar players. You can bring on one project, but not three. Brooks has turned out to be really good, but the other two are just filling space.
- Seventh Woods transferring and Jailek Felon choosing... another path
- the two grad transfers (Keeling and Pierce) being absolutely terrible. I didn’t think they would be as good as UNC fans thought they would be, but they’ve been even worse
- lots of injuries this season
- karma for decades of cheating, and also for making fun of Zion being injured last season

Jalek Felton “choosing another path” is an interesting way to phrase his dismissal😂.

Good summary and don’t think Cheat fans understand all this.

robed deity
01-09-2020, 03:21 PM
In the words of the great Vitas Gerulaitis, NOONE beats Clemson 60 times in a row at home.

(Except they probably will)

devildeac
01-10-2020, 08:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UnPzp2lmNk

Kdogg
01-10-2020, 10:01 AM

With Clemson's luck, they will be down to four players on the court with 30 seconds left to play. Any one who remembers a 8/9 team ACC and round robin knows the Tiger's don't have a chance. Death, Taxes and Clemson losing in Chapel Hill....all inevitable.

I live in SC so I pull for the state teams as long as they are not playing Duke. The only thing positive about the lose of the round robin schedule is that I don't get my hopes up every year. Only once every three years.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-10-2020, 05:37 PM
In the words of the great Vitas Gerulaitis, NOONE beats Clemson 60 times in a row at home.

Can honestly say the first time I've seen Vitas Gerulaitis mentioned in any forum.......

BD80
01-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Can honestly say the first time I've seen Vitas Gerulaitis mentioned in any forum...

Oh come on, there must be hundreds of threads on dozens of fora discussing Vitas as my doppelganger:

bundabergdevil
01-11-2020, 04:35 PM
Godspeed Clemson, Godspeed.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-11-2020, 04:40 PM
Godspeed Clemson, Godspeed.
Wow. Clempsun is bad.

hallcity
01-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Wow. Clempsun is bad.

Not wasting any time.

Kdogg
01-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Bloody farmers!

dukelifer
01-11-2020, 05:16 PM
Wow. Clempsun is bad.

No way is Clemson ever winning in Chapel Hill - at least not this year.

TKG
01-11-2020, 05:18 PM
No. Nope. Ain’t gonna happen.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-11-2020, 05:36 PM
Most uninformed announcer ever says, out loud, so everyone can hear it... “let’s see if Roy calls a timeout here.”

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-11-2020, 05:41 PM
Most uninformed announcer ever says, out loud, so everyone can hear it... “let’s see if Roy calls a timeout here.”

I made the same comment outloud to MTHN (My Tar Heel Neighbor)

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-11-2020, 06:12 PM
It’s so cute how the cheats are all excited about being ahead of a 7-7 Clemson team at home.

cbarry
01-11-2020, 06:17 PM
No way Clemson EVER wins in Chapel Hill. Very sad. This would have been the year to do it! Ugh.

devildeac
01-11-2020, 06:22 PM
It appears Clemsoning has returned :mad:.

ChrisP
01-11-2020, 06:23 PM
Ok, you can't say Clemson didn't have their chance. If only Sims had taken it up strong there! Craaaaaaap!

SavDukeGrad
01-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Overtime!!!

devildeac
01-11-2020, 06:25 PM
It appears Clemsoning has returned :mad:.

Perhaps not...

:o

ChrisP
01-11-2020, 06:25 PM
Come on, Clemson! They should keep up the full court pressure as that really seemed to flummox the holes.

MChambers
01-11-2020, 06:26 PM
I'm digging the faces on the UNC fans as the three goes in to tie.

scottdude8
Silly me for changing the channel after UNC had a 10 point lead with 4 to go. Silly silly me.

devildeac
Need a quick poll: How many Clemson players will foul out in OT and/or how many FT will the cheats shoot to win this one? :mad:

DukieInKansas
01-11-2020, 06:34 PM
Need a quick poll: How many Clemson players will foul out in OT and/or how many FT will the cheats shoot to win this one? :mad:

Too many.

rsvman
01-11-2020, 06:34 PM
Umm......

SavDukeGrad
01-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Hallelujah! Glorious!!!

lmb
Klemnop time!

rsvman
Woo-hoo!!!!!

Kdogg
Damn Farmer!!! Way to go Clemson!

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-11-2020, 06:38 PM
Is Christmas again ALREADY?

MChambers
I’ve never been happier to be wrong in a poll.

scottdude8
Wow. Roy May have to resign before passing Dean at this rate.

MarkD83
Cubs win!!!! Sorry wrong sport

fuse
Paging Klemnop..... 😱😱😱😱😱

DukieInKansas
Can I vote in the poll now? ;)

Hot Damn!

AGDukesky
01-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Amazing- congrats Clemson!

I cannot imagine the football winning Monday after all of that good fortune being consumed by the basketball team...

dudog84
So cool. Is somebody keeping Roy away from sharp objects and high ledges?

ChrisP
Can we please curse on this board now? I mean...just for a little while? Heck effin' YEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

dukebluesincebirth
I was wrong!!! Thank God!! Hold that tiger!!!

MartyClark
I am doing the dance of happiness. My wife thinks I am crazy. She may be right.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-11-2020, 06:40 PM
And how great is it that they just tore out the cheaters’ hearts?

cbarry
No way Clemson EVER wins in Chapel Hill. Very sad. This would have been the year to do it! Ugh.

You’re welcome for the reverse jinx!! Yes!!!

devildeac
Get yer bail money ready, Ozzie!

ChrisP
Any idea how I can watch Roy's tantrum...err..meltdown...err "Press Conference". LOVE that he's still tied with Dean! Hah!

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-11-2020, 06:42 PM
Any idea how I can watch Roy's tantrum...err..meltdown...err "Press Conference". LOVE that he's still tied with Dean! Hah!
Check your virus protection and try IC if you dare.

dukelifer
01-11-2020, 06:42 PM

Reverse jinx worked- very happy

HereBeforeCoachK
01-11-2020, 06:43 PM
I am doing the dance of happiness. My wife thinks I am crazy. She may be right.

OMG what happened....I saw the cheats up like 7 with under 2 minutes....

devildeac
01-11-2020, 06:43 PM
Double sporks for everyone in group 2 in the poll. (bows humbly)

Papa John
01-11-2020, 06:45 PM
Silly me for changing the channel after UNC had a 10 point lead with 4 to go. Silly silly me.

Seems I turned it on when you turned it off... I tuned in with Clemson down 10, and my immediate thought was, "oh well... go figure." Then Clemson puts on the press and the Heels panic... Next thing you know, it's OT and Clemson is back-dooring their way to breaking the curse... This was reminiscent of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields!

devildeac
01-11-2020, 06:45 PM
They're going to need extra fuel in the large chapel hill transportation vehicles tonight and tomorrow considering how many times ol roy runs them in forward and reverse the next 24 hours or so.

DukieInKansas
01-11-2020, 06:46 PM
Roy's press conference should be interesting. Also, the @ICMeltdown should be fun.

SavDukeGrad
01-11-2020, 06:46 PM
IC should be a fun read tonight!

wsb3
01-11-2020, 06:47 PM
Blacked out here from watching. Woke from my nap & I let you wonderful people be my radio of sorts to see what was going on. I really want a beer to celebrate but my wife & I pledged to do a 21 day no alchohol fast. Dadgummit.

That is okay. Let me get the popcorn and watch the comeback and subsequent win. Oh and the Presser. Wait, do I feel sorry for Roy just a little bit.. Uh No. Uh Hell No.

devildeac
01-11-2020, 06:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

peloton
01-11-2020, 06:49 PM
To quote Bob Harris who stole it from the great Jackie Gleason, "how sweet it is!".

MChambers
01-11-2020, 06:49 PM
In OT (the only part of the game I watched), one of the announcer (was it Pete Gillen?) kept saying what great coaching moves Brownell was making. He wasn’t saying anything about Roy’s moves . . .

Music man55
01-11-2020, 06:51 PM
I had that feeling after the cheats lost to Pitt that Clemson had their best chance to get them. Could never be 100% sure if they could pull it off, but by golly they DID IT! Way to go Clemson, I am at this minute hoisting one up for you. What a great feeling!

JetpackJesus
Even Doh didn't lose to Clemson in Chapel Hill.

I love this uNC team!

devildeac
https://thespun.com/acc/north-carolina/video-marcus-paige-and-roy-williams-dancing-to-happy-will-make-your-day

Yea, it's the roy/"u"nc Happy video.

elvis14
01-11-2020, 06:53 PM
WhooooHoooooo. Cheaters lose!!! Streak broken!!! 9F

Tripping William
01-11-2020, 06:54 PM
Now I never have to pay taxes again!

Tooold
01-11-2020, 06:55 PM
In OT (the only part of the game I watched), one of the announcer (was it Pete Gillen?) kept saying what great coaching moves Brownell was making. He wasn’t saying anything about Roy’s moves . . .
Well, the announcer did say once that “Roy wants them to push the ball, but will they listen”.
Watching Roy, he didn’t seem to be calling any plays. He was just cheering them on. In between hand wringing and pacing.

Tooold
01-11-2020, 06:58 PM
IC should be a fun read tonight!
Please provide quotes for the rest of us to enjoy!

wsb3
01-11-2020, 06:59 PM
Roy's press conference should be interesting. Also, the @ICMeltdown should be fun.

Over & under on how many players Roy throws under the bus?

Tooold
01-11-2020, 07:02 PM
Over & under on how many players Roy throws under the bus?
Well that’s easy...the whole team. But he will follow it up by saying “I need to coach them better”

DukieInKansas
01-11-2020, 07:08 PM
@ICMeltdown shared this:

SportsChannel8
@SportsChannel8
·
27m
Congrats to Roy Williams for breaking the tie with Dean Smith in all time home losses to Clemson. Historic.

scottdude8
01-11-2020, 07:18 PM
Apparently Roy opened the presser by throwing CLEMSON under the bus, saying something along the lines of “I wish they hadn’t have celebrated like that.” They had every right to celebrate. That may be more egregious to me than any of the times he’s dissed his own kids.

Tooold
01-11-2020, 07:21 PM
Apparently Roy opened the presser by throwing CLEMSON under the bus, saying something along the lines of “I wish they hadn’t have celebrated like that.” They had every right to celebrate. That may be more egregious to me than any of the times he’s dissed his own kids.
He’s a piece of work. Last press conference he started by pointing out specific lucky shots Pitt made. Then went on to point out the failures of specific Carolina players.

arnie
01-11-2020, 07:29 PM
@ICMeltdown shared this:

SportsChannel8
@SportsChannel8
·
27m
Congrats to Roy Williams for breaking the tie with Dean Smith in all time home losses to Clemson. Historic.

Hahahahahahahagshshaha- just found out. Think I’ll have another 😀😀😀😀

4Gen
01-11-2020, 07:29 PM
Roy just said he forgot to tell his players to foul on the last play in regulation.

(If heels foul, they win. Let's hope K doesn't suffer such a devastating memory lapse)

Devilwin
01-11-2020, 07:33 PM
Meanwhile in Clemson, SC..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

Tooold
01-11-2020, 07:37 PM
Roy just said he forgot to tell his players to foul on the last play in regulation.

(If heels foul, they win.
You’d think the players should already know that 2 FT< 3 point lead. But then again, that IS math.

MChambers
01-11-2020, 07:44 PM
You’d think the players should already know that 2 FT< 3 point lead. But then again, that IS math.

Or the assistant coaches.

wsb3
01-11-2020, 07:57 PM
More stupidity in his little finger.. One of the column topics on IC. I particularly enjoyed this one.

thedukelamere
01-11-2020, 07:59 PM
Ok guys let's focus.... We can't celebrate without taking care of business ourselves.

Just kidding!!! Go To Hell you Cheating bastards!!
Shots all around!!!!
9f9f9f9f9f9f9f9f9f9f9f9f
Brownell 2020!!!!!

devildeac
01-11-2020, 08:07 PM

Think these vehicles will be working a lot of overtime for the remainder of the weekend?

;):rolleyes:

JStuart
01-11-2020, 08:14 PM

Think these vehicles will be working a lot of overtime for the remainder of the weekend?

;):rolleyes:

I saw what you did there!
Cheers, Devildeac!
Don't have anything canned with orange anything - will crack open a Spoaty Oaty for the Deacs later in the first half....gotta pace myself.
JStuart

devildeac
01-11-2020, 08:15 PM
I saw what you did there!
Cheers, Devildeac!
Don't have anything canned with orange anything - will crack open a Spoaty Oaty for the Deacs later in the first half...gotta pace myself.
JStuart

Orange juice will suffice :D.

mattyoung18
01-11-2020, 08:20 PM
Orange juice will suffice :D.

Did ole huck save any timeouts?

devildeac
01-11-2020, 08:23 PM

He called 2 in last 0:22 of regulation and 1 in OT, IIRC, so he probably took his last remaining to McDonalds for a free Coca Cola after the game.

rsvman
01-11-2020, 08:23 PM

Sure he did!

OldPhiKap
01-11-2020, 08:26 PM
Please provide quotes for the rest of us to enjoy!

If you are on Twitter, @ICMeltdown gathers the best for you. The best thing on the interwebs.

wsb3
01-11-2020, 08:44 PM
https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/LongFormArticle/UNC-Clemson-Roy-Williams-Postgame-142042430/

SupaDave
01-11-2020, 08:50 PM
Shout outs to these voters! Including myself. You all walk on the wild side of life.

"It will be a nail biter, but I think Clemson pulls it out."

BlueTeuf, CameronBlue, cruxer, devilseven, Dsuke17, Duke79UNLV77, dukefanSD, elvis14, fisheyes, Green Wave Dukie, hibby91, JStuart, MartyClark, SupaDave, tdrake51, Tooold, triaddukefan, Ultrarunner

devildeac
01-11-2020, 08:55 PM
Shout outs to these voters! Including myself. You all walk on the wild side of life.

BlueTeuf, CameronBlue, cruxer, devilseven, Dsuke17, Duke79UNLV77, dukefanSD, elvis14, fisheyes, Green Wave Dukie, hibby91, JStuart, MartyClark, SupaDave, tdrake51, Tooold, triaddukefan, Ultrarunner

I think the "you have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours" rule should be suspended for the night and those posters should get triple rewards ;).

brevity
01-11-2020, 09:23 PM
I will admit that I thought this thread was a terrible idea, a jinx of the highest order. Whatever hope I had that Clemson could win was extinguished by this thread. So I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by Clemson conquering history or conquering DBR voodoo.

Now that I'm wrong -- and relieved to be wrong -- I'll post here. The condensed game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ27QTFilio

OldPhiKap
01-11-2020, 09:25 PM

brevity
01-11-2020, 09:27 PM
And Roy's postgame press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSUyARRIfbg

brevity
01-11-2020, 09:38 PM
While I'm here, Brad Brownell's press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cOimXUUNzI

Also some short videos on YouTube where Carolina players have to field questions in the locker room. Not sure if anyone asks them:

"Do you think you let down the Carolina family?"

"I know the NCAA doesn't care, but for the record, are you still cheating?"

"Do you think Dean Smith gets the ACC Network wherever he is?"

bundabergdevil
01-11-2020, 09:53 PM
Oh, Roy....you're just a big, dumb baby.

"We've had some great moments as a coach and right now I'd say this is my lowest one because losing this game was my fault," Williams said. "Told them if I die tomorrow or 20 years from now that'll be the biggest regret I had in 32 years as a coach. Cause these kids really need a win. And their coach let them down today."

Williams didn't stop there, either.

"Gotta tell Bubba he should probably fire me, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea," Williams said, folding up a stat sheet to put in his jacket pocket. "The coach is supposed to help his kids. I didn't help them very much.'

devildeac
01-11-2020, 09:55 PM
Oh, Roy...you're just a big, dumb baby.

"We've had some great moments as a coach and right now I'd say this is my lowest one because losing this game was my fault," Williams said. "Told them if I die tomorrow or 20 years from now that'll be the biggest regret I had in 32 years as a coach. Cause these kids really need a win. And their coach let them down today."

"Gotta tell Bubba he should probably fire me, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea," Williams said, folding up a stat sheet to put in his jacket pocket. "The coach is supposed to help his kids. I didn't help them very much.'

Bad coaching + least talented team=Happy days

rsvman
01-11-2020, 09:59 PM

Now wait just a doggone minute. If Roy is under the bus, who is driving the darned thing?

moonpie23
01-11-2020, 10:08 PM
Heels looked good....

SkyBrickey
01-11-2020, 10:23 PM
Now wait just a doggone minute. If Roy is under the bus, who is driving the darned thing?

Maybe flip the keys to Matt Doherty, wherever he is?

ChrisP
01-11-2020, 10:33 PM

Actually...no quite the opposite. Roy said that he told Brownell that he was NOT upset at the Clemson celebration. Ol' Roy even went so far as to say that they SHOULD be that excited. I am NO Roy fan, but I thought that was a nice touch.

OldPhiKap
01-11-2020, 10:38 PM
Heels looked good...

Third game in a row.

jv001
01-11-2020, 10:41 PM
What a great night. Duke beats the Deacs and the cheats lose to Clemson in a way that has to be demoralizing to those cheating --------.

GoDuke!

scottdude8
01-11-2020, 10:44 PM
Actually...no quite the opposite. Roy said that he told Brownell that he was NOT upset at the Clemson celebration. Ol' Roy even went so far as to say that they SHOULD be that excited. I am NO Roy fan, but I thought that was a nice touch.

Thanks for the correction! Saw that on Twitter which is so often mistaken, so I should’ve known, haha.

Tooold
01-11-2020, 10:44 PM

"'

He is a big dumb baby. I find it very disingenuous that he always describes their mistakes by saying, “this was the last thing we worked on in practice” but “they just didn’t do it correctly, even though we just worked on it”....to be read as “I did everything I could to teach these idiots and they still don’t get it”.

And that he wants us to actually believe that he blames himself (which we know he doesn’t).

But honestly, he shouldn’t have to remind them to foul at the end to prevent the 3 point shot. I realize they might not be able to add and subtract, but still....he should have at least one player on his team that can figure out the score. Even if they only learned that skill in high school.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-11-2020, 10:53 PM

If it is a Ford bus, Jeff McInnis?

TKG
01-11-2020, 11:12 PM

What an insufferable phony....

TKG
01-11-2020, 11:13 PM

The ghost of DES past.

SmartDevil
01-11-2020, 11:48 PM
The ghost of DES past.

Just a bit unfair to tar DES with the grime and full culpability of Roy because DES did do some admirable things but Roy is all slime and nothing to admire.

El_Diablo
01-12-2020, 12:10 AM

Nah. Six of these people voted after the game ended. The last one was BlueTeuf, who voted like an hour after the game ended.

Tom B.
01-12-2020, 12:22 AM
I had a thought....

You know, at some point, Carolina will win again. I mean, they're not gonna lose every remaining game this season. (We can hope, but I'd say it's highly unlikely.). So Roy's gonna break Dean's record....sometime.

And that might be the best part of it. Roy's gonna get the record, but he'll do it in a season they might not make the NCAA Tournament -- heck, in which they might finish below .500. He'll do it with Carolina's worst team since Doherty's 8-20 disaster in 2001-02. So, um....congratulations?

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-12-2020, 12:32 AM
I had a thought...

You know, at some point, Carolina will win again. I mean, they're not gonna lose every remaining game this season. (We can hope, but I'd say it's highly unlikely.). So Roy's gonna break Dean's record...sometime.

And that might be the best part of it. Roy's gonna get the record, but he'll do it in a season they might not make the NCAA Tournament -- heck, in which they might finish below .500. He'll do it with Carolina's worst team since Doherty's 8-20 disaster in 2001-02. So, um...congratulations?

Just so he doesn't do it against US!
Love,Ima

Tooold
01-12-2020, 05:29 AM
Nah. Six of these people voted after the game ended. The last one was BlueTeuf, who voted like an hour after the game ended.

I voted before the game started (or maybe as it started) mostly on wishful thinking. Then I was upset I hadn’t waited when I saw that voting was open so late AND it looked like UNC was going to run away with it. So now I want my sporks!

YmoBeThere
01-12-2020, 05:47 AM

No. Nope. Ain’t gonna happen.

Well, these did not age well.

TKG
01-12-2020, 06:22 AM
So happy to be wrong!

OldPhiKap
01-12-2020, 07:45 AM
So happy to be wrong!

Same here, I’ll eat my share of the crow.

CTH,C.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Just a bit unfair to tar DES with the grime and full culpability of Roy because DES did do some admirable things but Roy is all slime and nothing to admire.
Sorry, but let’s never forget that Dean initiated the cheating. Remember, it was AT LEAST an 18 year effort. It started under him. Roy just continued and accelerated the use of fake classes to his benefit.

9F all of them.

OldPhiKap
01-12-2020, 07:49 AM
I had a thought...

You know, at some point, Carolina will win again. I mean, they're not gonna lose every remaining game this season. (We can hope, but I'd say it's highly unlikely.). So Roy's gonna break Dean's record...sometime.

And that might be the best part of it. Roy's gonna get the record, but he'll do it in a season they might not make the NCAA Tournament -- heck, in which they might finish below .500. He'll do it with Carolina's worst team since Doherty's 8-20 disaster in 2001-02. So, um...congratulations?

Roy will start with some corn-pone statement that he doesn’t deserve it because Dean was a better coach. And for once, I will agree with Roy.

It is a crime that Boeheim had to forfeit wins and Roy did not. And I don’t like Boeheim.

75Crazie
01-12-2020, 08:49 AM
Sorry, but let’s never forget that Dean initiated the cheating. Remember, it was AT LEAST an 18 year effort. It started under him. Roy just continued and accelerated the use of fake classes to his benefit.

9F all of them.
I would take issue with the word "accelerated", I think Deano's use of the "system" in the 90s was just as pervasive as Roy's (it was the football program that accelerated its usage in the aughts) … but I concur completely with every other word of your statement.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-12-2020, 09:00 AM
I would take issue with the word "accelerated", I think Deano's use of the "system" in the 90s was just as pervasive as Roy's (it was the football program that accelerated its usage in the aughts) … but I concur completely with every other word of your statement.
I don’t know where to find it anymore but analyses of fake class enrollments showed it reached its peak AFTER Roy (and Wayne Walden) arrived on scene.

edit: I found it... and remember Roy became head coach in 2003...

Edit: here’s a link to the PackPride thread with much better quality image where you can see the spike occurring exactly in 2003/04 when they arrived and continuing for several more years.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina-state/Board/103752/Contents/New-thread-Graph-of-AFAM-sham-courses-from-Wainstein-report-70751013/

TKG
01-12-2020, 09:21 AM

9F all of them.

Thank you, Doc. I was too tired to respond last night. But I echo your views. The cheating began under DES and that cannot be forgotten.

75Crazie
01-12-2020, 09:51 AM
I stand corrected, Doctor. I thought it was the football team's participation that skewed the results in the aughts … but that graph is evidently just showing the men's basketball team participation. So instead of just continuing what Saint Dean started, Roy did indeed expand on it … proving they are both scum-sucking cheaters.

CameronBlue
01-12-2020, 10:22 AM

Guilty as charged. In frenzied celebration I simply lost control. My wife said I started speaking in tongues and dang near raptured myself.

4Gen
01-12-2020, 11:07 AM
This Week in Carolina Athletics, recently known as The Carolina Basketball Show, should be interesting.

It's never held a candle to Inside Basketball with Coach Mike Krzyzewski, even when they didn't stink.

4Gen
01-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Roy just said the problem is that opponents are shooting better than they should. Also that besides his family, the only thing he cares about is winning games.

4Gen
01-12-2020, 11:43 AM
He said Garrison plays soft and they ran a clip to prove it. Seriously, they did.

He then said in the Pitt game his players ran two plays he hadn't called, and then he said he needed to give the Pitt players credit, too.

arnie
01-12-2020, 12:57 PM
He said Garrison plays soft and they ran a clip to prove it. Seriously, they did.

He then said in the Pitt game his players ran two plays he hadn't called, and then he said he needed to give the Pitt players credit, too.

He also referred to Pitt player #11 and then slowly explained he did that cause he couldn’t pronounce the player’s name. I assumed he was talking about Ryan Murphy or Samson George; but in fact #11 is Justin Champagnie (is it that hard?).

My main takeaway from the show I hadn’t watched in years, Roy is the biggest drama queen on TV today.

Tooold
01-12-2020, 01:08 PM
He also referred to Pitt player #11 and then slowly explained he did that cause he couldn’t pronounce the player’s name. I assumed he was talking about Ryan Murphy or Samson George; but in fact #11 is Justin Champagnie (is it that hard?).

My main takeaway from the show I hadn’t watched in years, Roy is the biggest drama queen on TV today.

To paraphrase Roy in his pressers:
‘They hit some lucky shots’
‘We practiced the play a lot but my guys didn’t do it right’
‘I called a play but my team ran a different one’
‘It’s all my fault.’
Daggumit

richardjackson199
01-12-2020, 02:13 PM
I don’t know where to find it anymore but analyses of fake class enrollments showed it reached its peak AFTER Roy (and Wayne Walden) arrived on scene.

edit: I found it... and remember Roy became head coach in 2003...

Edit: here’s a link to the PackPride thread with much better quality image where you can see the spike occurring exactly in 2003/04 when they arrived and continuing for several more years.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina-state/Board/103752/Contents/New-thread-Graph-of-AFAM-sham-courses-from-Wainstein-report-70751013/

Show some class Roy. Or stay true to the Carolina way and No Show some Class.

Neals384
01-12-2020, 02:16 PM
I gotta give Roy some credit here. We all get on his case because he never uses timeouts even when the other team is on a big run. Well last night he used 3 timeouts in the second half and look what happened. He’s not as dumb as he looks.
[/sarcasm

TKG
01-12-2020, 02:19 PM
He’s not as dumb as he looks. [/sarcasm

He could not possibly be so.....

uh_no
01-12-2020, 02:52 PM
He could not possibly be so....

oh i beg to differ.

MChambers
01-12-2020, 03:04 PM
To paraphrase Roy in his pressers:
‘They hit some lucky shots’
‘We practiced the play a lot but my guys didn’t do it right’
‘I called a play but my team ran a different one’
‘It’s all my fault.’
Daggumit

And, "The last thing we practiced yesterday was [insert situation that cost UNC the game]."

brevity
01-12-2020, 03:45 PM
Roy will start with some corn-pone statement that he doesn’t deserve it because Dean was a better coach. And for once, I will agree with Roy.

Pretty sure this is the second time you’ve agreed with Roy. Have you forgotten his postgame interview after Kansas lost to Syracuse in the 2003 title game? Bonnie Bernstein asked him about the open UNC job.

https://youtu.be/WqOlwEYrT0I

Just goes to show you: even a broken coach is right twice in his lifetime.

OldPhiKap
01-12-2020, 04:51 PM
Just goes to show you: even a broken coach is right twice in his lifetime.

But for Klemnop reappearing, this would be the post of the week.

richardjackson199
01-12-2020, 05:58 PM
While I'm here, Brad Brownell's press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cOimXUUNzI

Also some short videos on YouTube where Carolina players have to field questions in the locker room. Not sure if anyone asks them:

"Do you think you let down the Carolina family?"

"I know the NCAA doesn't care, but for the record, are you still cheating?"

"Do you think Dean Smith gets the ACC Network wherever he is?"

I must spread around more comments... but these fun locker room interview questions are priceless. Always love your humor brevity. Could you imagine if a reporter asked Roy at the presser, "Do you think Dean Smith gets the ACC Network wherever he is? and what would Dean say about this right now?" Roy would go John Chaney.

BD80
01-12-2020, 06:23 PM
I gotta give Roy some credit here. ... He’s not as dumb as he looks.

That leaves a whole (hole?) lot of room for dumb …

CameronBlue
01-12-2020, 06:28 PM
That leaves a whole (hole?) lot of room for dumb …

Funny, and with art too! Postalicious!

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-12-2020, 06:51 PM
I gotta give Roy some credit here. We all get on his case because he never uses timeouts even when the other team is on a big run. Well last night he used 3 timeouts in the second half and look what happened. He’s not as dumb as he looks.
[/sarcasm
If I’m not mistaken, he actually complained about not having a TO at the end of the game b/c one of his players called a timeout diving to the floor for a ball.