PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 12/9-12/15

pfrduke
12-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Exam week is here with very little activity on the slate - four teams (Duke, Florida State, Pittsburgh, Virginia) are off completely and the other schedules are pretty light (although there are some interesting matchups on Saturday).

Monday is dark

Tuesday
[2]Louisville (-8) vs. [29]Texas Tech in Madison Square Garden (7:00, ESPN)
[67]Notre Dame (-20) hosts [297]Detroit (7:00, ACCN)
[136]Boston College (-6) hosts [205]Albany (7:00, ACCNX)

Wednesday
[60]Virginia Tech (-16) hosts [241]Chattanooga (8:30, ACCN)

Thursday is dark

Friday is dark

Saturday
[2]Louisville (-34) hosts [310]Eastern Kentucky (12:00, ACCN)
[52]Syracuse (+4) at [46]Georgetown (1:00, FOX)
[82]Miami (-25) hosts [347]Alabama A&M (2:00, ACCN)
[67]Notre Dame (-8) hosts [112]UCLA (3:00, ABC)
[94]Wake Forest (+3) hosts [27]Xavier (4:00, ACCN)
[93]Georgia Tech (+14) at [7]Kentucky (5:00, ESPN)

Sunday
[136]Boston College (-23) hosts [350]Central Connecticut (1:00, ACCNX)
[60]Virginia Tech (-12) hosts [194]Gardner-Webb (1:30, ACCNX)
[37]NC State (-2) at [92]UNC Greensboro (3:00, ESPN+)
[22]North Carolina (-15) hosts [127]Wofford (4:00, ACCN)
[89]Clemson (-5) hosts [109]South Carolina (5:00, ESPN2)

ACC Non-Conference: 81-28
ACC vs. Power 5: 19-18

America East: 2-0
American: 2-2
Atlantic-10: 2-3
Atlantic Sun:
Big XII: 3-2
Big East: 1-1
Big Sky: 1-0
Big South: 8-0
Big Ten: 9-10
Big West: 1-0
Colonial: 5-0
CUSA: 4-1
Horizon: 3-0
Ivy: 3-0
MAAC:
MAC: 2-0
MEAC: 5-0
MVC: 2-0
MWC: 1-0
Northeast: 7-0
Ohio Valley: 0-1
Pac-12: 3-2
Patriot: 4-0
SEC: 3-3
Southern: 2-0
Southland: 1-2
Sun Belt: 2-0
SWAC: 3-0
WAC: 2-0
WCC: 0-1

devildeac
12-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Here's to hoping the cheats don't break 50 points vs Wofford either. ;)

9F.

AGDukesky
12-09-2019, 12:26 PM
Louisville vs Texas Tech is the only intriguing game of the week

PackMan97
12-09-2019, 12:52 PM

State at UNC-G shouldn't be overlooked considering we may be without Jerhico Hellems.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Go, Terriers!

JasonEvans
12-09-2019, 01:32 PM

Meh... Texas Tech has looked really bad in recent games. They won their first 5 against lousy opposition (Tennessee St. was the best team they played). Since then, they have lost 3 in a row, by 11 to Iowa and then in OT to Creighton and Depaul. Not saying they can't beat Louisville, but this Texas Tech team seems to be a pretty significant step down from what we saw a year ago.

left_hook_lacey
12-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Here's to hoping the cheats don't break 50 points vs Wofford either. ;)

9F.

They are playing that game in Carmichael, something their fans have been yammering on about for years. How great would it be if in the year they finally get to play a real game there, they lose to Wofford? ;) The way they're playing, it's completely possible.

camion
12-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Wait!! Why is Louisville playing the Monday game on our home court (the NYC one)?

AGDukesky
12-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Meh... Texas Tech has looked really bad in recent games. They won their first 5 against lousy opposition (Tennessee St. was the best team they played). Since then, they have lost 3 in a row, by 11 to Iowa and then in OT to Creighton and Depaul. Not saying they can't beat Louisville, but this Texas Tech team seems to be a pretty significant step down from what we saw a year ago.

Fine, there are no intriguing games this week

PackMan97
12-09-2019, 08:21 PM
NC State has responded to the NCAA's allegations regarding paying Dennis Smith Jr. Long and short of it, you can't prove anything other than a he said/she said. Ya, we were loose with the comp tickets, we'll forfeit a scholarship as soon as we aren't using one.

arnie
12-09-2019, 08:34 PM
NC State has responded to the NCAA's allegations regarding paying Dennis Smith Jr. Long and short of it, you can't prove anything other than a he said/she said. Ya, we were loose with the comp tickets, we'll forfeit a scholarship as soon as we aren't using one.

Hire the Cheat lawyers and you keep that scholarship.

AGDukesky
12-10-2019, 09:13 PM
Yep, Louisville-Texas Tech wasn’t that intriguing- Louisville never looked like the better team...

dalmatians98
12-10-2019, 09:13 PM
Meanwhile, Louisville about to go down to Texas Tech.

JasonEvans
12-11-2019, 11:21 AM
This post did not age well...

Meanwhile, this tweet may be useful to have on standby for the next few months.

https://i.ibb.co/QjxkYQP/Capture.png
https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/1199542659934609408

-Jason "note which upset caused him to write this..." Evans

brevity
12-11-2019, 11:37 AM
https://i.ibb.co/QjxkYQP/Capture.png
https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/1199542659934609408

Ken Pomeroy, after visiting Chapel Hill: “There are no-good teams.”

DarkstarWahoo
12-11-2019, 12:03 PM

Works on contingency? No, money down!

DoubleDuke Dad
12-11-2019, 12:42 PM

Brevity is the soul of wit!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Wait!! Why is Louisville playing the Monday game on our home court (the NYC one)?

...a question they are probably asking themselves about now....

PackMan97
12-11-2019, 10:16 PM
Hire the Cheat lawyers and you keep that scholarship.

I was actually reading our response...it's pretty tight. Of course, I like telling the NCAA to pound sand regardless....but it hammers the NCAA on whether the testimony from the criminal trial can be used as it is sworn testimony, but it's not a fact. The crime prosecuted was conspiracy to commit fraud, not the actual commission of fraud. The NCAA is trying to use the testimony used to prove conspiracy to prove the actual act. If the prosecution could have proven the act, they would have....therefore the NCAA can't prove it. In addition, neither State nor the NCAA were party to that trial and could not direct testimony toward their needs. Additionally, since the trial is under appeal, it's all moot anyways since new NCAA bylaws say no testimony from trials under appeal.

There are another two allegations that are past the statute of limitations that we are giving the middle finger to the NCAA about.

Regarding the comp ticket fiasco we are claiming that of the 160 comp tickets that the NCAA claims were extra benefits, all but 10 could have been received legally as a comp ticket if involved parties had followed other procedures so there is limited benefit there. The ol' "we give comp tickets to everyone" defense. :) So in the end we admit to give 10 comp tickets as an impermissible benefit and nothing else.

devildeac
12-11-2019, 10:19 PM
I was actually reading our response...it's pretty tight. Of course, I like telling the NCAA to pound sand regardless...but it hammers the NCAA on whether the testimony from the criminal trial can be used as it is sworn testimony, but it's not a fact. The crime prosecuted was conspiracy to commit fraud, not the actual commission of fraud. The NCAA is trying to use the testimony used to prove conspiracy to prove the actual act. If the prosecution could have proven the act, they would have...therefore the NCAA can't prove it. In addition, neither State nor the NCAA were party to that trial and could not direct testimony toward their needs. Additionally, since the trial is under appeal, it's all moot anyways since new NCAA bylaws say no testimony from trials under appeal.

There are another two allegations that are past the statute of limitations that we are giving the middle finger to the NCAA about.

Regarding the comp ticket fiasco we are claiming that of the 160 comp tickets that the NCAA claims were extra benefits, all but 10 could have been received legally as a comp ticket if involved parties had followed other procedures so there is limited benefit there. The ol' "we give comp tickets to everyone" defense. :) So in the end we admit to give 10 comp tickets as an impermissible benefit and nothing else.

Hell, I'd probably claim the 10 comp tickets was really a typo and it's really only 1 comp ticket...

:rolleyes:;)

TKG
12-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Nice win for Wake; 80 - 78 over #23 Xavier.

JasonEvans
12-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Nice win for Wake; 80 - 78 over #23 Xavier.

The pollsters thought more of X than the advanced metric computers did, but this is still a great win for the Fighting Mannings. Wake has now cracked the top 100 in KenPom and maybe this is a sign they could fight their way into the middle-tier, or at least the bottom of the middle-tier, of the ACC. Danny is now in his 6th season at Wake and they have had only one season where they won more than 5 games in the league (in 2016-17 Wake went 9-9 when they had John Collins, a potential NBA All-Star). I'm not sure how much time Danny has left to turn things around but getting to 7 ACC wins this year would be a big deal for him.

-Jason "worth noting that Wake already has losses to sub-100 BC and Charlotte on their resume... their best win prior to this game was taking down Davidson" Evans

DavidBenAkiva
12-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Big big news out of Chapel Hill. Before their game against Wofford, UNC announced that Cole Anthony is out indefinitely with a knee injury while Leaky Black is out for the game with a leg injury of his own. And they made it official with Sterling Manley, who will be out for the season following surgery.

DukieInBrasil
12-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Big big news out of Chapel Hill. Before their game against Wofford, UNC announced that Cole Anthony is out indefinitely with a knee injury while Leaky Black is out for the game with a leg injury of his own. And they made it official with Sterling Manley, who will be out for the season following surgery.

wow, those are all bad news. I hadn't heard anything about Cole being injured, but being a knee injury that could be bad, bad news. Leaky doesn't seem to have made a big impact so far in the Dump, but it's a shame that he'll be missing out on at least part of a chance to perform out of the shadow of Anthony. Manley had also not really blossomed yet, but he would still be useful considering all the other injuries. I hope he emerges from the injury and gets his chance next year.

TKG
12-15-2019, 03:40 PM

Hope the kids are all right. That hope is counterbalanced by my belief that not enough bad can happen to the cheats.

UrinalCake
12-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Hope the kids are all right. That hope is counterbalanced by my belief that not enough bad can happen to the cheats.

I don’t ever root for injuries, but I’m not going to prevent myself from feeling happy if the CHeats lose. That’s a lot to overcome, Black has struggled but he has a lot of potential outside of being constantly hurt. Manley would give them another experienced body inside which they sorely need. I don’t even know who can play PG for them. Anthony Harris is finally healthy so maybe he gets the nod. We’ll see if any of their other players step up now that Anthony isn’t there to occupy all of the defense’s attention. As Duke fans we know how much it stinks when our guys get hurt, and UNC has had more than their share this season.

DavidBenAkiva
12-15-2019, 04:05 PM
I don’t ever root for injuries, but I’m not going to prevent myself from feeling happy if the CHeats lose. That’s a lot to overcome, Black has struggled but he has a lot of potential outside of being constantly hurt. Manley would give them another experienced body inside which they sorely need. I don’t even know who can play PG for them. Anthony Harris is finally healthy so maybe he gets the nod. We’ll see if any of their other players step up now that Anthony isn’t there to occupy all of the defense’s attention. As Duke fans we know how much it stinks when our guys get hurt, and UNC has had more than their share this season.

Junior K.J. Smith started the game at PG. Smith is a transfer from Pacific and played in 22 games last year. For his career entering this game, he scored 21 points, delivered 7 assists against 3 turnovers.

Faustus
12-15-2019, 04:17 PM
I've gotta admit when I first read this about UNC today, I assumed it was a joke about UNC claiming injured players almost surely missing upcoming games (if not years of rehab), and then of course bounding out onto the court in perfect health for warm-ups at the next game. I guess not this time, huh? Could be interesting times for them, with Gonzaga coming up this week (then presumably a couple of weeks off to recover). What a shame.

devildeac
12-15-2019, 04:43 PM
wow, those are all bad news. I hadn't heard anything about Cole being injured, but being a knee injury that could be bad, bad news. Leaky doesn't seem to have made a big impact so far in the Dump, but it's a shame that he'll be missing out on at least part of a chance to perform out of the shadow of Anthony. Manley had also not really blossomed yet, but he would still be useful considering all the other injuries. I hope he emerges from the injury and gets his chance next year.

Amazing. No typo or $18M+ in legal fees either in a story about the cheats. I'll never hope for injuries for the players but my tears will be very, very small and brief for their time/s off the court while still hoping they can play hoops again.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-15-2019, 04:44 PM
I think Anthony should immediately drop out and begin prepping for his pro career.

howardlander
12-15-2019, 04:53 PM
I think Anthony should immediately drop out and begin prepping for his pro career.

I'm confused. What difference would "dropping out" make? Other than not playing in their games that is: I mean I sort of doubt he is spending much time on his school work...

OldPhiKap
12-15-2019, 04:55 PM

Hate to see kids injured, even there.

Good luck with full recoveries.

chrishoke
12-15-2019, 05:01 PM
State hits a three with one second left too break a tie and beat UNC_Greensboro 80-77.

Stray Gator
12-15-2019, 05:06 PM

After decades of deception, I've come to accept that injury reports originating from the UNC basketball program are, at least with respect to the severity and anticipated duration of the alleged damage, seriously lacking in credibility. One of the most notorious examples of such fake news was the amazing Lazarus-like recovery of Antawn Jamison in the 1998 ACC Tournament Championship game, when he reportedly had suffered a debilitating groin injury that would prevent him from playing, yet he not only managed to drag himself onto the court, but proceeded to tally 22 points and 18 rebounds in a performance of legendary heroism that led UNC to a 15-point win over Duke. Remember just two weeks ago when Roy lamented that Bacot would "be out a while" after injuring his ankle against Ohio State in a Wednesday night game? But miracle of miracles, there he was on the floor four days later, starting and logging 25 minutes against Virginia.

So pardon my skepticism, but don't be shocked if Anthony and Black are back in the lineup Wednesday evening against Gonzaga . . .

chrishoke
12-15-2019, 05:20 PM
Wofford by 11 w/ 11 to go.

mattyoung18
12-15-2019, 05:20 PM
let's go Wofford.

devildeac
12-15-2019, 05:30 PM
Wofford by 11 w/ 11 to go.

Refs trying to turn the tide with 17 Wofford PF to only 6 for the cheats. FT are a stunning 14 to 1. Guess who leads that category? :mad:

Tripping William
12-15-2019, 05:33 PM
Refs trying to turn the tide with 17 Wofford PF to only 6 for the cheats. FT are a stunning 14 to 1. Guess who leads that category? :mad:

SWofford?

buddy
12-15-2019, 05:33 PM

Beat me to it. Gotta make up for those injuries. Reffing is ridiculous.

devildeac
12-15-2019, 05:36 PM
SWofford?

Oooh, maybe a new expression: getting SWoffor'd?

PackMan97
12-15-2019, 05:37 PM
Amazing. No typo or $18M+ in legal fees either in a story about the cheats. I'll never hope for injuries for the players but my tears will be very, very small and brief for their time/s off the court while still hoping they can play hoops again.

I feel bad for the kids and their families and pray for their quick recovery.

I'll shed no tears for the coaches, administrators and fans that endorse cheating kids out of an education and destroying the concept of "student" athletes in order to win games.

PackMan97
12-15-2019, 05:42 PM
State hits a three with one second left too break a tie and beat UNC_Greensboro 80-77.

We were only a 1.5 pt favorite...so beat the spread on that one :)

UNC-G is the kind of signature win we didn't have last season.

mattyoung18
12-15-2019, 05:50 PM
I love the Terriers .

devildeac
12-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Cheats looked good.

MChambers
12-15-2019, 05:57 PM
I love the Terriers .

Today, we all are Terriers.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Three straight losses with Gonzaga on the road next. Me likey.

curtis325
12-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Heels looked good!

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-15-2019, 06:00 PM
Boozer screams “upset alert” in the immediate post-game studio commentary. Love it!

chrishoke
12-15-2019, 06:01 PM
Bacot was 2-14? WOW!

devildeac
12-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Bacot was 2-14? WOW!

ol roy coaching him up for that sophomore season at the dump.

PackMan97
12-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Cheats looked good.

Please raise your hand if you thought Wofford could win shooting only 37%, out rebounded by 20 and had twice as many fouls as the cheaters....

Heels definitely looked good.

devildeac
12-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Maybe this will finally knock them out of the Top 25 :rolleyes:.

chrishoke
12-15-2019, 06:40 PM
So what is the nature of Cole Anthony's injury? Foot, knee, heart?

TKG
12-15-2019, 06:41 PM

Paternal....

tbyers11
12-15-2019, 06:56 PM

Out indefinitely with right knee knee injury.

Tripping William
12-15-2019, 07:04 PM
Paternal...

This times infinity.

DavidBenAkiva
12-15-2019, 09:39 PM
Bacot was 2-14? WOW!

That was probably the most surprising part of the game. I watched a good portion of it. Bacot was doing just fine rebounding, contesting a few shots, even checking Wofford's guards on the perimeter here and there. He's pretty nimble on his feet for his size. But he was getting bodied inside but smaller players. One of them, Messiah Jones (what a name!), is a 6'6" freshman from Chicago. And Bacot couldn't do anything with him. Brooks had a good game at both ends of the court and clearly looked like the superior post player. If not for foul trouble and Roy's penchant for benching guys, Brooks might have had a really big game. As it was, Brooks had 17 points and 12 rebounds.

There were a lot of UNC fans talking about Bacot going 1st round after this season. I didn't see it then and certainly don't now. He doesn't possess an NBA skillset as a guy that can only score around the rim and is pretty limited defensively. He's a college big and will probably be quite good by the time he's an upperclassman. But he's not going pro unless he wants to be in the G-League or play overseas. The situation with him, Brooks, Walker Kessler, and Day'Ron Sharpe next year is going to be interesting. There's a ton of depth in the post, and Sterling Manley might be healthy enough to play, too. I wonder what the minutes distribution will be.

-jk
12-15-2019, 09:42 PM
And NCSU is ahead of unc in KenPom...

-jk

PackMan97
12-15-2019, 10:09 PM
here were a lot of UNC fans talking about Bacot going 1st round after this season. I didn't see it then and certainly don't now. He doesn't possess an NBA skillset as a guy that can only score around the rim and is pretty limited defensively.

When are these kids going to learn? Don't go to UNC and play for Roy if you want to quickly get in the NBA.

budwom
12-16-2019, 11:29 AM
I'm wondering what the over/under is for Gonzaga players named Igor?

OldPhiKap
12-16-2019, 11:38 AM
UNC is playing in Spokane early in the week, and then Vegas later in the week? When will they be able to attend classes?

devilseven
12-16-2019, 11:42 AM
UNC is playing in Spokane early in the week, and then Vegas later in the week? When will they be able to attend classes?

Not to worry. Each player has a tutor traveling with him. They spare no expense.

JasonEvans
12-16-2019, 12:33 PM

UNC began winter break on December 13th (the last day of exams). There are no classes this week.

I am sure the Carolina players are no more aware of the class schedule than you are.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-16-2019, 08:23 PM
Not to worry. Each player has a tutor traveling with him. They spare no expense.

Fortunately, ever UNC student non-athlete also has a traveling tutor. To cover bases.

TruBlu
12-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Fortunately, ever UNC student non-athlete also has a traveling tutor. To cover bases.

Hanstravel?!? Tutoring ALL the non-athletes? Spreading his brilliant reading abilities a little thin, isn’t he?!?

TruBlu
12-16-2019, 09:04 PM
Pitt closes out the game on a 15 - 0 run to beat NIU 59-50.

BD80
12-16-2019, 09:26 PM
UNC began winter break on December 13th (the last day of exams). There are no classes this week.

No classes for tar heel players on December 25?

So for tar heel players, EVERY day is like Christmas!

And Fats delivers in his magic free rental sleighs …

So that is ol' roy's new recruiting pitch ...

camion
12-16-2019, 10:38 PM

I believe the proper phrasing is:

Each player will receive all the tutoring he needs.
And
Each player will complete all of the work assigned.

That’s saying a lot. Or nothing. ;)