PDA

View Full Version : Tar Heels get tarred and feathered.

porkpa
12-05-2019, 05:47 AM
How about that Ohio State 74 - UNC 49?

Billy Dat
12-05-2019, 05:59 AM
That’s sweet. I couldn’t stay awake to watch but the AP write up reported that the Bucks broke it open in the second half, and also included this nugget:

“The Tar Heels were handed their second-worst loss in the Smith Center since moving here in January 1986, trailing only a 29-point defeat against Duke in 2002. It was also the lowest shooting percentage UNC had managed in the arena named for late Hall of Famer Dean Smith.”

Ohio State looks for real! Massive blow out road wins at Villanova and UNC.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-05-2019, 06:05 AM
Heels looked good...

Tooold
12-05-2019, 06:11 AM
Apparently Roy was not happy with the late start. Daggumit.

dukelifer
12-05-2019, 06:17 AM
That’s sweet. I couldn’t stay awake to watch but the AP write up reported that the Bucks broke it open in the second half, and also included this nugget:

“The Tar Heels were handed their second-worst loss in the Smith Center since moving here in January 1986, trailing only a 29-point defeat against Duke in 2002. It was also the lowest shooting percentage UNC had managed in the arena named for late Hall of Famer Dean Smith.”

Life for some one and done programs like UNC- not easy - is it? But losing your second best player and best big man is never good.

porkpa
12-05-2019, 06:39 AM
Excuses are just that - excuses. The game is played on the court. A 25 point drubbing at home?

weezie
12-05-2019, 06:50 AM
Apparently Roy was not happy with the late start. Daggumit.

What an idiot. Hey Roy, what time does the National Championship usually begin?

Let's not overlook the pounding of the hoo either.

David Bunkley
12-05-2019, 06:56 AM
Hahahahaha

Devilwin
12-05-2019, 06:57 AM
Not happy we lost the challenge even if UNC was one of the losers.:mad:

weezie
12-05-2019, 07:04 AM

Yeah, well. I long ago gave up any conference rooting after the rising abuse from other fan bases towards Duke in the ACC. Let the Big Whatever have the moment in December.

As long as Duke wins, I'm happy.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2019, 07:07 AM

Second worst home loss in 56 years. That includes the final season at Woolen, entire tenure played at Carmichael and 35 seasons so far in the Smith Center.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2019, 07:14 AM
The great thing about this is - it's a double dip for us Duke fans. First, we get the inherent joy in a Cheater loss....and second, we can still give em grief for letting down the conference.

BD80
12-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Good news for the Tar Heels!

ol' roy managed to hoard another 5 time outs!

DrChainsaw
12-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Yeah, well. I long ago gave up any conference rooting after the rising abuse from other fan bases towards Duke in the ACC. Let the Big Whatever have the moment in December.

I honestly think I can pull for any ACC team except Carolina. Their fans are in a class of their own.

With no tests.

ABC, baby.

arnie
12-05-2019, 07:24 AM
The great thing about this is - it's a double dip for us Duke fans. First, we get the inherent joy in a Cheater loss....and second, we can still give em sh-t for letting down the conference.

If I got this right: we are now a ridiculous 19-2 in the challenge and the Cheats are 10-11. They’ve let down the ACC in both this and the academic challenge for decades.

Of course, Cheat fans will say we always get easy opponents.😡

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2019, 07:26 AM

Weezie I feel ya on that. Back in my days as a yute, going to elementary school and middle school while UNC, NCSU and Maryland were consistently among the best in the nation, and Duke was struggling, there was still some pride in the ACC's national dominance...there were times where those three teams were in the top 4, usually with UCLA. About this time, Dean's Myth coached the US Olympic team, and there were like 7 ACC players out of 12 on the team, and when they played some exhibition games at State's Reynolds Coliseum, there were long and loud chants of A-C-C...from fans of all three Triangle teams. (Tate Armstrong was on that team).

To my memory, and of course media coverage wasn't as national or constant then, but I don't remember any other league having league pride back then. And with the small markets the ACC was in, with several smaller schools, that reputation and pride helped. The Big Ten and the SEC have long had bigger institutions with more money, but the ACC was still dominant.

I know some around DBR believe that the hatred today is the way it's always been. That may have been true to some extent, in some circles, but in the circles I traveled, and the one my parents traveled, it was totally different. My parents went back to the days of the Dixie Classic, and also the ACCT - and my parents, one Duke and one UNC, and a member of the original Iron Dukes football team and his wife (both Duke fans of course) and another couple who were UVa fans, all went together to every single ACCT from inception through 82, when my mom broke her leg and I was allowed to go in her place. A few years later, the Iron Duke died and the group ACCT thing ended, but that group had quite a run of consecutive tournaments, back when it meant something. That kind of relationship today would be impossible.

This all changed in the Triangle about the time Duke got as good or better than State and UNC. In the 70s, it seemed fans of those teams kind of looked at Duke as the little brother who might pull an upset from time to time but was no threat. By the time Duke was a legit threat, the Cheat fans especially went loco. And they've been getting worse ever since.

So I still pull for the ACC to win the Big Ten Challenge. And I like it when the conference does well in the NCAAT. But that really isn't as important to me as it once was, for the very same reason you mentioned.

UrinalCake
12-05-2019, 07:49 AM
To be fair, Bacot got hurt, Anthony had some kind of illness/fever and also got clubbed on the head, and less significantly they’ve been without Manley and Harris all season. That’s a lot to overcome. But I’m sure Roy isn’t happy with the effort. The team basically gave up with 10 minutes to go, after keeping it close for a half. OSU is a really solid team but they didn’t do anything spectacular.

Their shooting truly is abysmal. Anyone who thought Duke couldn’t shoot last year should watch this game. Their misses didn’t just miss, they were air balls or clanked off the outside part of the rim. Today is a good day.

TruBlu
12-05-2019, 07:53 AM
Nothing could be finer than to see that carolina lost in the morning.😁

DevilYouKnow
12-05-2019, 07:53 AM
The great thing about this is - it's a double dip for us Duke fans. First, we get the inherent joy in a Cheater loss....and second, we can still give em sh-t for letting down the conference.

...and third, we still keep the #1 spot for all time Chapel Hill beatdowns.

dukebluesincebirth
12-05-2019, 08:30 AM
I hate that Jay Bilas had to watch his boys lose in person... I bet he had a thousand excuses:o

UrinalCake
12-05-2019, 08:52 AM
There’s actually a thread on IC discussing the idea that Anthony should come back for another year....

budwom
12-05-2019, 09:25 AM

yup, they hate us and I don't much care if they win or lose.

Steven43
12-05-2019, 09:33 AM
I honestly think I can pull for any ACC team except Carolina. Their fans are in a class of their own.

With no tests.

ABC, baby.

Agree, other than the fact that Maryland fans were just as ugly towards Duke as UNC fans are. I hated to see Maryland leave the ACC, but I sure don’t miss their disrespectful and belligerent fans.

Steven43
12-05-2019, 09:35 AM
There’s actually a thread on IC discussing the idea that Anthony should come back for another year...

Tell me you’re not serious??? Anthony is expected to be drafted in the top 3. There is no chance — NONE — that he has a sophomore year in college.

UrinalCake
12-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Tell me you’re not serious??? Anthony is expected to be drafted in the top 3. There is no chance — NONE — that he has a sophomore year in college.

According to UNC fans he is not ready for the NBA and should come back so that he can win a title with that class they have coming in next year. They actually think there is a chance this will happen.

Music man55
12-05-2019, 09:59 AM
So Ol'Huck had a bad night last night. Well cry me a river! Just can't pull for the cheats in any game they play. Rest assured, they would party all night on Franklin St.had the situation been reversed!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2019, 10:00 AM
According to UNC fans he is not ready for the NBA and should come back so that he can win a title with that class they have coming in next year. They actually think there is a chance this will happen.

There is Nassir Little chance this will happen.

thedukelamere
12-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Living in B1G country and being a Purdue & IU grad, losing the challenge means that I get to hear people who couldn't name more than 3 players on their team gloat alllllll year about how the ACC is (insert ridiculous and shortsighted insult here) and that the B1G is going to send every team to the tourney, etc. Which is why I get on my soapbox at the end of the year and cackle at their tourney failings and point to the 5 ACC titles since MSU won theirs.

But if the pivotal game deciding the series ends in a Cheat drubbing? Sign me up for an annual subscription.

rasputin
12-05-2019, 10:46 AM

College? He isn't even in a college.

DukeFanSince1990
12-05-2019, 10:55 AM

I hate there are some games that I cannot find online. And they are always the blowouts where Duke comes out on top. the 2002 and the home game in 2010 I would love to re-live. This vexes me.

TKG
12-05-2019, 11:09 AM
we can still give em sh-t for letting down the conference.

Because the cheats have a long history of giving a crap about anything other than the cheats.....

TKG
12-05-2019, 11:11 AM
I hate that Jay Bilas had to watch his boys lose in person... I bet he had a thousand excuses:o

Well, if they had just hit 9 more threes......

throatybeard
12-05-2019, 11:13 AM

I feel like this has happened at least twice before--Carolina loses on the last day of the challenge, providing the B1G with the decisive margin in the challenge.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Well, with Ol Roy you never know. He’s probably already begun “recruiting” Anthony for next years team.

What’s the over/under on the number of post game pressers this season during which Roy addresses himself in the third person?

throatybeard
12-05-2019, 11:43 AM
(Congratulations to Silent Sam U for getting punked in basketball by both sides of the Midwest's cornerstone football rivalry.)

BD80
12-05-2019, 11:48 AM
Well, with Ol Roy you never know. He’s probably already begun “recruiting” Anthony for next years team.

What’s the over/under on the number of post game pressers this season during which Roy addresses himself in the third person?

Number of games - 0

Only ol' roy could "coach" Anthony into a 2021 lottery pick. Any other coach would have him in the top half of the 2020 lottery. Maybe Anthony should contact LaVar Ball, he would be better for Anthony's draft stock than ol' roy.

UrinalCake
12-05-2019, 12:32 PM
I hate there are some games that I cannot find online. And they are always the blowouts where Duke comes out on top. the 2002 and the home game in 2010 I would love to re-live. This vexes me.

I have the 2010 game saved as an iTunes movie (there was a very brief period of time in which Apple allowed you to purchase college sporting events through their platform). It is literally the only iTunes file I have on my computer. If there's a way for me to send it to you I would be happy to do so.

In the meantime, you'll have to settle for this highlight package.

https://youtu.be/k_Wqs4qt6PA?t=25

SkyBrickey
12-05-2019, 01:06 PM
And they have to go play at UVA on Sunday without Bacot - out indefinitely. They were a flawed team with him. They are probably not a top 25 team without him.

Of course UVA just put a big 40 up against Purdue, so the Cheats may only need to score 45 or so to steal a W.

AGDukesky
12-05-2019, 01:06 PM
There is Nassir Little chance this will happen.

Well played

Although Little’s NBA performance actually supports the UNC case for staying - of course, I doubt Anthony will resemble Little performance-wise in college...

budwom
12-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Reminds me of that lovely game I attended in 1999 when Brand, Langdon, Maggette, Battier et al (let's not be forgetting the fabulous Caldbeck boys) went into the Dome and beat the Heels by 20. Fun trip down Franklin St. after the game, too.

devildeac
12-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Reminds me of that lovely game I attended in 1999 when Brand, Langdon, Maggette, Battier et al (let's not be forgetting the fabulous Caldbeck boys) went into the Dome and beat the Heels by 20. Fun trip down Franklin St. after the game, too.

Ha! Ozzie and I were at the 29 point beat-down at the dean's myth center in 2002. We wished many heel faithfuls a safe drive home as the place emptied with >10 minutes to go and the lead 30+ points, IIRC. :D

kako
12-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Always a good day when Carolina gets spanked. Here's to The Ohio State University. Dot that i !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L96UAPEbWQ

9F

Steven43
12-05-2019, 01:49 PM
College? He isn't even in a college.

Haha. Yeah, I knew that response was coming just as soon as I wrote my comment. 😉

OZZIE4DUKE
12-05-2019, 02:25 PM

devildeac and I were at that game, courtesy of his eldest daughter getting us tickets. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif It was SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif And it wasn't as close as the final score indicated - we could have won by 50! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

OZZIE4DUKE
12-05-2019, 02:28 PM
Ha! Ozzie and I were at the 29 point beat-down at the dean's myth center in 2002. We wished many heel faithfuls a safe drive home as the place emptied with >10 minutes to go and the lead 30+ points, IIRC. :D

Ha! You beat me to replying, but we did have a great time! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif It was so quiet there in the second half you cold hear the whine age... http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

moonpie23
12-05-2019, 02:37 PM
how many minutes did seventh woods get last night?

dukebluesincebirth
12-05-2019, 03:21 PM
Just bopped over to IC for a minute to enjoy the meltdown (and boy is it good... "we may not win 8 games this year")... but the funniest part on the board was on the Bacot injury thread. First, there's a comment about the frustration regarding how many ankle/foot injuries unc seems to incur every year. I think to myself, "this sounds familiar." So both fan bases are baffled about foot injuries...then the response to the comment says they should "really reconsider Jordan Brand!" I had to laugh out loud... the EXACT same thoughts/conversations that I've poured over on DBR for years now!:D They think the shoes are causing foot injuries and should switch brands! Was this copied and pasted?!?!:D

mattyoung18
12-05-2019, 03:30 PM
I watched the replay of the holes getting thumped by 20+ points twice today it was so much fun.Id like to see a rematch played tonight at midnight AKA Late night with huck.

4Gen
12-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Brookes was garrisoned.
Brandon was robbed.
Cole was cold.
Black was leaky.
Justin was pierced.
Shea was rushed.

proelitedota
12-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Brookes was garrisoned.
Brandon was robbed.
Cole was cold.
Black was leaky.
Justin was pierced.
Shea was rushed.

Bacot was cut.
Manley wasn't manly.

UrinalCake
12-05-2019, 06:21 PM
I had to laugh out loud... the EXACT same thoughts/conversations that I've poured over on DBR for years now!:D .... Was this copied and pasted?!?!:D

There’s also some discussion on how much they dislike Bilas because he is so biased and never talks about the bad calls that go against them!

rocketeli
12-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Ha, ha that was hilarious...the cheats losing big to Ohio State. Maybe they can follow it up with losing to, I don't know some low-ranking no-major, like, say Stephen F. Austin? Duke would never do that at home, would they? How we would laugh!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Well played

Although Little’s NBA performance actually supports the UNC case for staying - of course, I doubt Anthony will resemble Little performance-wise in college...

Thanks, and I agree with your logic there.....my point was that if Nassir left, then certainly they are having fantasies if they think Cole is staying.

FerryFor50
12-05-2019, 06:59 PM
My favorite part was the predictable and played out move Roy pulls - “yank the starters and play the benchwarmers to light a fire under the starters.”

Yawn.

Steven43
12-05-2019, 07:16 PM
There’s also some discussion on how much they dislike Bilas because he is so biased and never talks about the bad calls that go against them!

UNC fans cannot truly believe their secret weapon, Jay Bilas, might actually be biased against them. Surely they jest.

DevilYouKnow
12-06-2019, 03:45 PM
There’s actually a thread on IC discussing the idea that Anthony should come back for another year...

It makes sense if you think about it. By Cole's senior year, Ol' Roy might have coached him into the second round.

JasonEvans
12-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Well played

Actually, Little has had some decent games for Portland. They've been using him a good bit as a small-ball PF type player and he seems to have some aptitude for that. He's young and needs to develop a lot more, but I doubt the Blazers are at all upset about using the 25th pick on him.

BandAlum83
12-06-2019, 04:31 PM

How would you even know? Do you actually take the time to watch a UNC presser?

UrinalCake
12-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Actually, Little has had some decent games for Portland. They've been using him a good bit as a small-ball PF type player and he seems to have some aptitude for that.

Huh, that’s odd. I figured they would give him three or four positions to learn all at the same time, constantly yank him in and out of the lineup, and verbally bash him publicly. You know, like any good coach would do.

Steven43
12-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Huh, that’s odd. I figured they would give him three or four positions to learn all at the same time, constantly yank him in and out of the lineup, and verbally bash him publicly. You know, like any good coach would do.

You’re not taking a shot at ol’ Huck are you, UC?

throatybeard
12-07-2019, 02:58 PM

Likewise. With Durhamnative (rest in peace 2013) and Mark Gilbert ('97), who's now a Missourah resident.

The funny thing is JWill and them took the foot off the gas pedal. It got close to forty; 29 was window dressing.

Tripping William
12-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Likewise. With Durhamnative (rest in peace 2013) and Mark Gilbert ('97), who's now a Missourah resident.

The funny thing is JWill and them took the foot off the gas pedal. It got close to forty; 29 was window dressing.

I was there, too, and endorse these comments. It was a massive beat down, and a ton of fun.

moonpie23
12-08-2019, 09:48 AM
how many minutes did seventh woods get last night?

i guess weapons-grade trolls are just ignored here.....

OldPhiKap
12-08-2019, 10:57 AM
i guess weapons-grade trolls are just ignored here....

It was too fine a post to sully with a response!

Steven43
12-08-2019, 01:09 PM
i guess weapons-grade trolls are just ignored here...
Check out his Wikipedia photo. It looks like it was taken by a 7th-grader with his first camera. Talk about no respect.

Also, I am assuming with a name like Seventh Day'Vonte Woods his mom and/or dad must have been followers of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Anyone know if that’s why he was thusly named?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_Woods

OldPhiKap
12-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Check out his Wikipedia photo. It looks like it was taken by a 7th-grader with his first camera. Talk about no respect.

Also, I am assuming with a name like Seventh Day'Vonte Woods his mom and/or dad must have been followers of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Anyone know if that’s why he was thusly named?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_Woods

Here’s the story:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article84385427.html

Looks like both got their name from the same Bible passage, not one named for the other. No idea as to his parent’s faith though. (Article says that his Woods grandparents were members of a United Missionary Baptist church).

Interesting article, didn’t know any of that until looking at your question.

Furniture
12-08-2019, 09:18 PM
I have the 2010 game saved as an iTunes movie (there was a very brief period of time in which Apple allowed you to purchase college sporting events through their platform). It is literally the only iTunes file I have on my computer. If there's a way for me to send it to you I would be happy to do so.

In the meantime, you'll have to settle for this highlight package.

https://youtu.be/k_Wqs4qt6PA?t=25

This was the year that I became a Duke fan. It was my daughters freshman year and what a year it was.I had never been interested in basketball until she went to Duke. It was great to see her in this video at the 44 second mark with her painted face and star shaped glasses. Thanks for posting.

jv001
12-09-2019, 10:33 AM
This was the year that I became a Duke fan. It was my daughters freshman year and what a year it was.I had never been interested in basketball until she went to Duke. It was great to see her in this video at the 44 second mark with her painted face and star shaped glasses. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the video. Special team and special bunch of guys. I'm glad your daughter chose Duke and you're now a Duke fan. One of the things in the video that jumped out at me was the offensive rebounding with a kick out for three. Those plays were a big part of our offense. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-09-2019, 11:10 AM
You know, this could be a nice recurring thread........it certainly has aged well so far.....:p

DukieInKansas
12-09-2019, 04:17 PM
Decided this might be the best place to post this. Boss's daughter is dating a Mizzou grad and they were discussing the NCAA punishment that is keeping them from going bowling. He brought up the unc education freebie from the NCAA. According to him, NCAA stands for North Carolina Alumni Association. I don't remember hearing that one before so thought I'd share it.

jv001
12-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Decided this might be the best place to post this. Boss's daughter is dating a Mizzou grad and they were discussing the NCAA punishment that is keeping them from going bowling. He brought up the unc education freebie from the NCAA. According to him, NCAA stands for North Carolina Alumni Association. I don't remember hearing that one before so thought I'd share it.

Hey, I like that. They're both corrupt and deserve each other. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
12-09-2019, 04:26 PM

I like that. I always thought it stood for North Carolina Athletics Alwayscheatbecausetheyareabunchofweaselbastards but yours makes more sense.

jv001
12-09-2019, 04:32 PM
I like that. I always thought it stood for North Carolina Athletics Alwayscheatbecausetheyareabunchofweaselbastards but yours makes more sense.

I love it OPK. You're on your game today. They are the scum of college athletics. GoDuke and 9F.

BD80
12-09-2019, 05:20 PM

North Carolina Athletics Alwayscheatbecauseitisthecarolinaway

OldPhiKap
12-09-2019, 05:28 PM

North Carolina Athletics Alwayscheatbecauseitisthecarolinaway

poTAYto, poTAHto. (Although yours is more on point)

BD80
12-09-2019, 05:37 PM
poTAYto, poTAHto. (Although yours is more on point)

North Carolina Athletics Alwayscheatbecausetheyareabunchofweaselbastards raises the nurture v nature discussion.

aretheyabunchofweaselbastards who collectively chose carolina? Or …

does carolina turn them into abunchofweaselbastards?

I say we dissect them all in the name of science; would be the first time science is advanced by the use of a carolina brain ...

devildeac
12-09-2019, 05:45 PM
North Carolina Athletics Alwayscheatbecausetheyareabunchofweaselbastards raises the nurture v nature discussion.

I say we dissect them all in the name of science; would be the first time science is advanced by the use of a carolina brain ...

...no matter how small and useless it might be.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2019, 06:53 PM

Since we are only talking about the athletes, they choose to attend over other good options. So I would say the former. Especially when you consider how, as freshmen, they have usually obtained that status.