PDA

View Full Version : 11-06 football presser

jimsumner
11-06-2007, 03:38 PM
First of all, nobody asked TR about job security, nobody volunteered anything about job security, the discussions were about Clemson and Georgia Tech. But there were some interesting subthemes, which I will get to below.

This may have snuck up on folks but the Tech game Saturday is home finale, senior day. Relatively small group of seniors but some major losses.

Seniors Nick Stefanow, Matt Rumsey, and Chris Davis were selected to speak to the media. The latter two are from the Atlanta area, while TR is a Tech alum, so some side plots. Davis appears to have more Tech roots than does Rumsey but both know lots of players on the Tech team.

Stefanow was an articulate spokesperson for Roof and the idea that Duke is heading in the right direction. He spoke of a dramatic and ongoing improvement in the "culture of the building [Yoh]. It's completely different. Everything is in place except the wins. The attitude in the locker room is much better than when I got here. The guys want to win and want to play football for Duke. We[the seniors]'ve seen the progression. Duke does not need a coaching change." Nick talked about his redshirt freshman season when, in his opinion, some of the players packed it in early. Hasn't happened this year and he doesn't think it will. "Every game is still important for us."

Roof has referred to his alma mater as the bumble bees this week. :)

Stefanow, btw, graduated last spring in psychology and is working on a Master's in Humanities.

Rumsey-"We're still practicing as hard as we can, playing as hard as we can." He gave credit to Duke's recent opponents, while acknowledging Duke's "breakdowns in execution." Went out of his way to acknowledge Roof as "as emotionally invested in this as anyone. He spends himself emotionally on the field as much as we do. The attitude has changed tremendously. We're closer than a lot of people give us credit for. The seniors are still leading this team."

Davis-several family members big Tech fans, especially grandfather. "We've come so far since my freshman year. We're more physical, more talented." Contrast to freshman season when "here we go again" mentality pervaded team. Says TR has done a great job of creating family feeling on team, "has a vision for the program." The team wants to win for him.

TR-"The players are still fully invested, fully committed to their goals, hopes, aspirations. They're not going to let go. This is a process. They are giving their time and energy, two of life's most precious commodities. They still pass the mirror test."

Injury update-Radloff getting better and should play more against Tech.
Boyle and Drummer banged up, iffy on both. Boyette should play. Pridemore moved to running back.

Duke expects to see Choice at RB Saturday.

TR acknowledges Duke has to do a better job of getting ball to Riley. "Good things happen when Riley touches the ball.It's not like we forgot about him. Clemson did a great job but we did miss some chances. We have to do a better job of finding other options."

Duke's margin of error against good teams is "nil." Duke has to have sustained execution.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks, Jim.

Let's finish strong.

devildeac
11-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Good report, Jim.

You convinced me to attend on Saturday.

Uncle Drew
11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
First off all who is this Jim Summers guy? He's bloody articulate, knows Duke sports like a freakin' encyclopedia, he's clearly in the know about things on campus and recruiting. I mean one poster disagreed with me a few months ago about something in a snide way and I let him have it. Jim disagreed about the same thing yet said it in a non-degrading way, and made valid points in everything he said. He had me doubting I knew my own name by the time he'd finished replying to my post. I know it's too late for 2008, but let's seriously think about getting him on the 2112 ticket for president.

As for football I like hearing the seniors are still behind Roof and have seen with their own eyes improvement even if it hasn't translated into wins. I hope the powers that be do give Roof at least one more season. I think he is dedicated to turning the program around and appreciates the opportunity he's been given. As a Georgia native (and having nabbed a few recruits from GT and UGA) I hope he has some inside info that can help the boys pull out a win. Go Duke and keep up the good work Jim!

throatybeard
11-06-2007, 08:51 PM
First off all who is this Jim Summers guy?

He's great, but Jim Sumner is even better.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Good report, Jim.

You convinced me to attend on Saturday.

Want me to pick you up?

devildeac
11-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Want me to pick you up?

Sure-we can finalize plans at the NCCU game. My car? Your car? Bojangles on Miami Blvd. for b'fast/brunch/lunch?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Sure-we can finalize plans at the NCCU game. My car? Your car? Bojangles on Miami Blvd. for b'fast/brunch/lunch?

Let's take this off line via email.

Lavabe
11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
He's great, but Jim Sumner is even better.

Great report as usual Jim. Thank you for the summary. Glad to read about the team's attitude.

Mods: Time to add Jim's name to the official spelling sticky!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Uncle Drew
11-07-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm Lysdexic Leave Me Alone!

Sorry Jim for not spelling your last name correctly. I went to public schools in the state of Noth Carolina, I'm lucky I can even read. Anyway the posts are appreciated and well written. Keep up the good work.