PDA

View Full Version : Cassius Stanley Left Leg Injury Vigil

richardjackson199
11-29-2019, 09:37 PM
Hopefully Cassius has a quick and full recovery.

Credit to Troublemaker from the post-game thread for the latest update:
In the radio postgame, Coach K says the injury is a hamstring injury, not a knee injury. He says the fact that it's a muscle injury is "really really good" as compared to the alternatives / worst case fears. There's no timetable yet obviously, but Coach K doesn't expect Cassius to play against MSU

Utley
11-29-2019, 09:38 PM
Saw this on Twitter:

Coach K said Cassius Stanley heard "something pop" and they thought it was his knee, but the doctors say structurally, it's not. It seems to be the hamstring he heard pop. He's going to have an MRI tomorrow, but K says they hope to get Stanley back after Christmas.

dukelifer
11-29-2019, 09:43 PM
Saw this on Twitter:

Coach K said Cassius Stanley heard "something pop" and they thought it was his knee, but the doctors say structurally, it's not. It seems to be the hamstring he heard pop. He's going to have an MRI tomorrow, but K says they hope to get Stanley back after Christmas.

Maybe - need to be patient. The other guys are going to have to step up. Injuries are part of the game- hopefully not a trend for this team.

BlueDevil16
11-29-2019, 11:10 PM
Michigan State and VT could easily be losses without him. That said time for Joey to shine.

hallcity
11-29-2019, 11:15 PM
N&O says he may be out several weeks.
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article237909564.html

BandAlum83
11-29-2019, 11:24 PM
When a hamstring muscle is pulled, the muscle fibers are abruptly stretched. Depending on the severity of the strain injury, the muscle can actually tear and many people can hear and feel an audible "pop" when the muscle is damaged. ... Avulsion injuries often occur with a quick muscle contraction during a burst of speed.

There are a variety of potential risk factors for hamstring injuries.

Inadequate warming up and poor stretching
Muscle weakness or an imbalance in the muscle strength within the hamstring muscles
Muscle weakness or an imbalance between the hamstrings and quadriceps
Poor footwear
Recurrent injury when the muscle hasn't completely healed from the previous damage

Could footwear’s be our undoing?

Steven43
11-29-2019, 11:37 PM
Of course it’s the footwear. Nike s#%ks.

Furniture
11-29-2019, 11:38 PM

Or just a snafu. Life...stuff happens.

BigZ
11-30-2019, 05:23 AM
When was the last season a starter didn’t injury a leg / foot ?

BD80
11-30-2019, 06:31 AM
There are a variety of potential risk factors for hamstring injuries.

Inadequate warming up and poor stretching
Muscle weakness or an imbalance in the muscle strength within the hamstring muscles
Muscle weakness or an imbalance between the hamstrings and quadriceps
Poor footwear
Recurrent injury when the muscle hasn't completely healed from the previous damage

Leaping tall buildings in a single bound …

That's the one that usually gets me ...

arnie
11-30-2019, 08:55 AM

Emma, Engelland, Tissaw years?😡

TKG
11-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Emma, Engelland, Tissaw years?😡

I think we wore Converse during those years. We switched to Adidas (just like Indiana) for a few seasons. Nike came along later.

jgehtland
11-30-2019, 09:19 AM
Has there been any report on the severity of Jones Jr.’s ankle injury? When I google for injury updates from the game all I get is Stanley’s hamstring. (Sucks to be a low level D-1 team when your best player gets carried off the court and all anybody talks about is the player from the other team who limped away 20 minutes earlier.)

dukelifer
11-30-2019, 09:59 AM

There was an article last year that suggested that players are playing too many games in the AAU circuits without proper tests, not cross training enough and as such are at greater risk of injury than players of the past. Hard to know- but basketball is very hard on ankles, knees and feet.

SouthernDukie
11-30-2019, 10:00 AM
Pretty sure Stanley's hamstring injury actually had its genesis in the 1st half. While on offense I remember him slipping near the baseline and his leg going out from under him a bit. I immediately thought, "Don't pull a hammy young man." If I'm remembering correctly, he was just a tad slow getting back up the court but then seemed to be fine. My guess is he was already slightly injured (unbeknownst to him or the staff) when he came back out of the locker room after halftime. Just an observation.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-30-2019, 10:05 AM
There was an article last year that suggested that players are playing too many games in the AAU circuits without proper tests, not cross training enough and as such are at greater risk of injury than players of the past. Hard to know- but basketball is very hard on ankles, knees and feet.

yep, and a pretty compelling article too. To me it's intuitive. As the article mentioned, stars in the past, like Jordan and Kobe - shut it down in the off season unless there was an olympics to play in. The Tiger Woodsing of America's kids...specializing at age 3 or what have you. It's ludicrous. As a side note, I always thought Shavlik Randolph played too much BB and did not spend enough time in the gym when he was at Duke. Just an observation from the outside admittedly.

Duke76
11-30-2019, 10:38 AM
Pretty sure Stanley's hamstring injury actually had its genesis in the 1st half. While on offense I remember him slipping near the baseline and his leg going out from under him a bit. I immediately thought, "Don't pull a hammy young man." If I'm remembering correctly, he was just a tad slow getting back up the court but then seemed to be fine. My guess is he was already slightly injured (unbeknownst to him or the staff) when he came back out of the locker room after halftime. Just an observation.

you are probably right....to me there have been an inordinate number of slips in the paint on both ends of the court by our guys this year...either too much sweat being slung around, ball boys not doing their job wiping floor after possession goes to other end of court or shoes we are wearing not gripping well...take your pick

Natty_B
11-30-2019, 11:08 AM
Good news is there are only three games between now and Christmas.

Rich
11-30-2019, 11:52 AM

I don't have ACCN so I didn't see the game, and am only an armchair doctor who has suffered my share of injuries, but if you're right then halftime is the perfect time for the muscle to cool down and would be ripe for injury if it was tweaked in the first half.

DukeFanSince1990
11-30-2019, 12:10 PM
Good news is there are only three games between now and Christmas.

That's kind of a bummer too.

Saratoga2
12-01-2019, 04:46 PM
That's kind of a bummer too.

You may be optimistic in thinking he can come back just after Christmas. It's possible if it waswn't severe but hearing it pop sounds more like the severe kind and that can last 6 weeks. The coaches and medical staff need to be careful and let it fully heal, as I am sure they will.

Highlander
12-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Has there been any report on the severity of Jones Jr.’s ankle injury? When I google for injury updates from the game all I get is Stanley’s hamstring. (Sucks to be a low level D-1 team when your best player gets carried off the court and all anybody talks about is the player from the other team who limped away 20 minutes earlier.)

I have seen nothing on his Twitter feed or on the Winthrop_MBB feed. My hope is that it wasn't serious. And agreed it's frustrating to not know.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-02-2019, 10:36 AM
I have seen nothing on his Twitter feed or on the Winthrop_MBB feed. My hope is that it wasn't serious. And agreed it's frustrating to not know.

Watching him be carried off the court was a few different kinds of uncomfortable.

53n206
12-02-2019, 01:19 PM
You may be optimistic in thinking he can come back just after Christmas. It's possible if it waswn't severe but hearing it pop sounds more like the severe kind and that can last 6 weeks. The coaches and medical staff need to be careful and let it fully heal, as I am sure they will.

"Hearin it pop" makes it sound like origin or insertion. Either can be really bad and long time in rehab.

ShaneRyan
12-02-2019, 01:46 PM
Is there any chance we ever learn what the injury is and how long he's expected to be out? Or is it back to Kyrie Secret Service mode?

Highlander
12-02-2019, 03:03 PM
Watching him be carried off the court was a few different kinds of uncomfortable.

The fact that he has said nothing about it in his Twitter feed (and he's been pretty active since the game) leads me to believe he's OK. But I'd still like to see confirmation.

Winthrop doesn't play again until Saturday, so I guess we'll know by then worst case.

arnie
12-02-2019, 08:32 PM
Is there any chance we ever learn what the injury is and how long he's expected to be out? Or is it back to Kyrie Secret Service mode?

The injury info will be provided on a “need to know” basis. My guess is none of us need to know.

jv001
12-03-2019, 10:09 AM
The injury info will be provided on a “need to know” basis. My guess is none of us need to know.

Sort of like Duke/Coach K and injuries to our own players. :cool: By the way, any news on Stanley? GoDuke!

proelitedota
12-03-2019, 12:22 PM
MSU and opponents need to game plan for him, simple as that.

howardlander
12-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Stanley's injury may be less severe than first thought as he seems to be on the floor for the walk through at Michigan State,

chrishoke
12-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Stanley's injury may be less severe than first thought as he seems to be on the floor for the walk through at Michigan State,

Holy wow Batman.

devildeac
12-03-2019, 05:18 PM

"undisclosed lower body injury"

;):rolleyes:

dudog84
12-03-2019, 05:26 PM
"undisclosed lower body injury"

;):rolleyes:

Back in the Disco Era that could be caused by a dance move or an STD. :D

OldPhiKap
12-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Back in the Disco Era that could be caused by a dance move or an STD. :D

“You must spread some Comments around before commenting on dudog84 again.”

I got moves like Jagger — but I wanna dance like Uma Thurman.

DU82
12-03-2019, 07:11 PM
“You must spread some Comments around before commenting on dudog84 again.”

I got moves like Jagger — but I wanna dance like Uma Thurman.

I’d rather dance WITH Uma.

wavedukefan70s
12-03-2019, 07:20 PM

Thats how long my sons took .6 weeks before he was behind the plate again.
Big thing is being healed .then you have to gain confidence it wont give out on you again .id expect it would be a week or two longer 7 or 8 weeks until hes 100 %.
Then again my doctorate in lazy boy medicine may not be quite up to par with the Duke medical team.

MChambers
12-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Thats how long my sons took .6 weeks before he was behind the plate again.
Big thing is being healed .then you have to gain confidence it wont give out on you again .id expect it would be a week or two longer 7 or 8 weeks until hes 100 %.
Then again my doctorate in lazy boy medicine may not be quite up to par with the Duke medical team.

.6 weeks = 4.2 days? Preset quick healing.

Pghdukie
12-03-2019, 08:05 PM
I’d rather dance WITH Uma.

And I'll pass on dancing with Jaramir Jagr

OldPhiKap
12-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Even if you drank Jäger?

Owen Meany
12-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Per Steve Wiseman Twitter
Cassius Stanley on trip but not in uniform for @DukeMBB tonight. No crutches. Coming along nicely.

chrishoke
12-03-2019, 08:28 PM
Per Steve Wiseman Twitter
Cassius Stanley on trip but not in uniform for @DukeMBB tonight. No crutches. Coming along nicely.

See picture.

hallcity
12-03-2019, 10:57 PM
Dan Shulman says he may be back by Friday!

Music man55
12-03-2019, 11:48 PM

Hope he can by then, but don't want them to rush him back too early unless team doctors say it's ok. Anyway, sounds like good news!

53n206
12-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Must take care. Only play when complexly stable.

wavedukefan70s
12-04-2019, 04:47 AM
.6 weeks = 4.2 days? Preset quick healing.

Might be a geechie root doctor involved.

proelitedota
12-04-2019, 04:48 AM
Must take care. Only play when complexly stable.

His leg must be a complexly stable isotope.

camion
12-04-2019, 05:43 AM
His leg must be a complexly stable isotope.

You won’t see that sentence on most basketball bulletin boards. ;)

arnie
12-04-2019, 06:56 AM

Hope he doesn’t bring Bilas with him��

Indoor66
12-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Hope he doesn’t bring Bilas with him��

If he does, he loses the stability.

weezie
12-04-2019, 08:13 AM
Man alive, we do go on about Bilas and deservedly so. Just call the darn game already.

When's that 2019-2020 announcers thread going up?

devildeac
12-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Man alive, we do go on about Bilas and deservedly so. Just call the darn game already.

When's that 2019-2020 announcers thread going up?

Here ya go, weezie; buried on page 7:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?44318-Unofficial-2019-2020-Announcer-Thread

Next time you're in town, I'll have a pint of that Ponysaurus Scottish Ale if it's still on draft at the brewery.

:D;)

budwom
12-04-2019, 08:37 AM
With a lengthy gameless period after Friday, I can't see any reason at all why they'd even consider having Stanley play...

-jk
12-04-2019, 08:51 AM
With a lengthy gameless period after Friday, I can't see any reason at all why they'd even consider having Stanley play...

But keeping it possible makes the Hokies game-prep for him. It's all in the gamesmanship.

-jk

budwom
12-04-2019, 08:54 AM
But keeping it possible makes the Hokies game-prep for him. It's all in the gamesmanship.

-jk

I hear ya, but I think this is WAY overestimated by coaches...it's not like he's Kareem or something...

BD80
12-04-2019, 09:53 AM

To give him another game and to give his coaches more game film to work on with him. That "lengthy gameless period" is a great chance for the coaches to break down game film and work with individual players on specific elements of their games. He's only played 7+ games so far, and he missed a great learning experience against MSU. Another game before the break could be significant.

Better reason, Cassius gives us a better chance to win. Every win counts. Each game is the most important on the schedule. It is Coach K's way.

flyingdutchdevil
12-04-2019, 10:30 AM
To give him another game and to give his coaches more game film to work on with him. That "lengthy gameless period" is a great chance for the coaches to break down game film and work with individual players on specific elements of their games. He's only played 7+ games so far, and he missed a great learning experience against MSU. Another game before the break could be significant.

Better reason, Cassius gives us a better chance to win. Every win counts. Each game is the most important on the schedule. It is Coach K's way.

And with Coach K actually playing 10 guys, game film is even more critical then that patented 7 man-rotation.

jimsumner
12-04-2019, 11:20 AM
Hope he can by then, but don't want them to rush him back too early unless team doctors say it's ok. Anyway, sounds like good news!

Do you honestly think Duke would rush him back over the objections of medical personnel?

budwom
12-04-2019, 03:15 PM

I'm assuming this is a hamstring injury, and resting those is generally considered a good idea, though I'm not sure we really know what's going on. I'll still bet we don't see him Friday, FWIW (not much).

kAzE
12-04-2019, 03:25 PM
I'm assuming this is a hamstring injury, and resting those is generally considered a good idea, though I'm not sure we really know what's going on. I'll still bet we don't see him Friday, FWIW (not much).

I'd be pretty shocked if he played on Friday, especially with the 13 day layoff after that game. The risk of re aggravating the hammy would be much less likely after that point. I wouldn't even be surprised if he missed the Wofford (Dec 19) game, since there would be another 9 days before the Brown game on December 28. That would be only 3 missed games, but nearly a full month of rest. If there is such a thing, Cassius picked a good time to get hurt.

53n206
12-04-2019, 03:28 PM
I'd be pretty shocked if he played on Friday, especially with the 13 day layoff after that game. The risk of re aggravating the hammy would be much less likely after that point. I wouldn't even be surprised if he missed the Wofford (Dec 19) game, since there would be another 9 days before the Brown game on December 28. That would be only 3 missed games, but nearly a full month of rest. If there is such a thing, Cassius picked a good time to get hurt.

Absolutely agree. I hope he is back by the start of the new year.

uh_no
12-04-2019, 04:21 PM

would love to see him out in pregames to throw VT a wrench though.

Fish80
12-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Time between games isn’t much of a factor. Players get injured in practice more often than in games. It doesn’t make sense to sit him longer than necessary. Be cautious and conservative, and come back when ready.

Edouble
12-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Time between games isn’t much of a factor.

Not sure what you're getting at.

Players get injured in practice more often than in games.

Not our guys, sheesh.

It doesn’t make sense to sit him longer than necessary. Be cautious and conservative, and come back when ready.

Yes, obviously there is a sweet spot.

jimsumner
12-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Not sure what you're getting at.

Not our guys, sheesh.

Yes, obviously there is a sweet spot.

Duke has had some fairly serious injuries during practice; Brand, Boozer (1), Kelly (1), Grant Hill, Collins, Langdon, Marshall Plumlee, and I'm sure we could come up with others.

And I don't know how we characterize Kenny Dennard's 1979 sprained ankle.

proelitedota
12-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Duke has had some fairly serious injuries during practice; Brand, Boozer (1), Kelly (1), Grant Hill, Collins, Langdon, Marshall Plumlee, and I'm sure we could come up with others.

Amile Jefferson. We might have been able to repeat in 2016...

MChambers
12-04-2019, 08:40 PM

Nate James, too.

I’m pretty sure Dennard wasn’t practicing, whatever he was doing.

ndkjr70
12-04-2019, 08:57 PM
I realized five years ago that the absolute dumbest thing on the planet to say on an online message board is “you better not rush [players name] back from injury”, because it implies that (1) you have more information about the injury than the team staff, (2) you are more qualified to analyze that information than the team staff and (3) you’re better equipped to make a decision based on that information.

ndkjr70
12-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Amile Jefferson. We might have been able to repeat in 2016...

LOL. What!? That 2016 team was nowhere good enough to win a National Championship.

DU82
12-04-2019, 09:00 PM
Nate James, too.

I’m pretty sure Dennard wasn’t practicing, whatever he was doing.

Playing basketball in Cameron. It must have been a practice, right?

msdukie
12-04-2019, 11:18 PM

K said on pregame radio yesterday that Cassius might be ready to play at Virginia Tech and definitely wouldn't miss any games after Virginia Tech. He seems to me a more reliable source than bulletin board speculation.

proelitedota
12-04-2019, 11:34 PM
LOL. What!? That 2016 team was nowhere good enough to win a National Championship.

Hmm, nvm. Forgot it was the Kingram year.

mattman91
12-06-2019, 06:27 PM
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1203093138002391042?s=19

Cassius is back!

/Thread

devildeac
12-06-2019, 06:30 PM
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1203093138002391042?s=19

Cassius is back!

/Thread

Mattman getting a lot of mileage out of this info. I think this is thread #3 for this fact.

Almost as many threads in which "feckless" is used. :o:rolleyes:

proelitedota
12-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Lock this thread! Lock this thread!