PDA

View Full Version : 2015/2020 Team Comparisons

slower
11-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I know it's WAY too early to do this. And I doubt that I'm the first to think of it, nor will I be the last to make the comparison, if this team continues to grow and improve. However, here's a semi-forced comparison:

Okafor/Carey - kinda/sorta/maybe similar big guys

Tyus/Tre - duh

Winslow/Moore - dynamic, tough, skilled Swiss-Army knife guys

Cook/Stanley - great 2-guards who wear/wore #2

Jefferson/White - glue guys with shooting issues

True, there's no Matt Jones equivalent, unless we want to put Moore here, as well. And so on and so forth...;)

arnie
11-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I know it's WAY too early to do this. And I doubt that I'm the first to think of it, nor will I be the last to make the comparison, if this team continues to grow and improve. However, here's a semi-forced comparison:

Tyus/Tre - duh

True, there's no Matt Jones equivalent, unless we want to put Moore here, as well. And so on and so forth...;)
I don’t think the comparison is that forced. And with the right conclusion, we’re on a 5-year cycle ending in K’s final 2025 banner.

Bob Green
11-23-2019, 11:58 AM

Comparing freshman Stanley to senior Cook is a stretch.

Dukehk
11-23-2019, 12:02 PM

Tyus/Tre - duh

Winslow was a pretty decent 3 points shooter and elite defender. Not sure if Moore is quite there yet in those two categories, but he is getting better by the game.

Matt Jones = White/Goldwire/AOC put together in one person :cool:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-23-2019, 12:03 PM
I don’t think the comparison is that forced. And with the right conclusion, we’re on a 5-year cycle ending in K’s final 2025 2055 banner.

Fixed this for you.

AGDukesky
11-23-2019, 12:15 PM
The biggest problem with this comparison is that the 2015 team was terrible defensively until the end of the year and great offensively. I actually think the overall feeling of this team is closer to 2010 when expectations were down coming into the year, although the player comparisons are much closer to 2015.

slower
11-23-2019, 12:36 PM

Oh, I know it, Bob!

But if some DBR stooge like me thought of this, you know that some bonehead at ESPN will try to shoehorn the comparison, as well. We shall see. ;)

You just reminded me of how much I loved Senior Quinn Cook.

Shane Ryan, doesn't this kind of comparison have Mark Titus written all over it? If for no other reason than it will give him a chance to say how much he immediately hated Grayson Allen? Which he foreshadowed, even before Grayson got to Duke.

DavidBenAkiva
11-23-2019, 12:44 PM
The style of play for the two squads are drastically different. The 2015 squad didn't play committed team defense until the NCAA Tournament (thank goodness they did!). Scoring was a lot easier, too. Cook, Tyus, Winslow, Jones, and Allen all could shoot the ball. Sulaimon shot the ball well, too, when he was on the team.

This Duke team is playing excellent team defense from the get-go but the question for stretches of many games is how will they score the ball. The 3-point shooting has been getting better seemingly each game (as has the free-throw shooting). But the offense looks stilted a lot and especially when Carey is off the court. Carey seems a lot more engaged on defense than early reports indicated. I think Matt Hurt is going to have to have a Grayson Allen-like leap for this team to reach its offensive potential.

DukieInBrasil
11-23-2019, 01:40 PM

True, Cook was a legit PG who became a sensational 2G, who could run the point for Tyus. Stanley can't really do that. Stanley actually has more similarities to Sulaimon's game, tho still not a perfect comp. Hopefully Cassius makes it all the way thru the year...

Winslow was a pretty decent 3 points shooter and elite defender. Not sure if Moore is quite there yet in those two categories, but he is getting better by the game.
Matt Jones = White/Goldwire/AOC put together in one person :cool:

Winslow finished the year with a very nice 3FG%, but started pretty mediocre, so that comparison could still come to pass. Winslow was a good defender from the get go, but it also took a little while for K to figure out how to deploy Winslow most effectively, and that may also come to pass.

There's a few similarities, like Carey and Okafor and the obvious Jones connection, but otherwise it's a pretty superficial comparison, not least of which because their calling cards are totally different. 2015 team started off as a dynamic offensive team that eventually learned to play very good defense, while this year's team started off with great defense and will hopefully learn how to be a very good offensive team.
I hope the comparison of end-of-season hardware turns out the same though!

brlftz
11-23-2019, 01:44 PM
Despite being brothers, Tre and Tyus are very different players. They share an ability to run the offense, but Tyus is a much better shooter and Tre is a much better defender

slower
11-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Thanks, folks.

I realize it's a totally forced comparison. Just saying to not be surprised if the media hop on it as the year progresses.

Edouble
11-23-2019, 02:35 PM

By far the weakest link.

Quinn was a point guard who played shooting guard and is one of the top two or three senior leaders of all time under Coach K. Stanley is a freshman wing, whom it wouldn't be a stretch to say is playing small forward on this year's team.

Despite being brothers, Tre and Tyus are very different players. They share an ability to run the offense, but Tyus is a much better shooter and Tre is a much better defender

Yeah, they are both pure point guards who seem to really love being part of a Duke team.

Winslow finished the year with a very nice 3FG%, but started pretty mediocre, so that comparison could still come to pass. Winslow was a good defender from the get go, but it also took a little while for K to figure out how to deploy Winslow most effectively, and that may also come to pass.

IIRC, Coach K had to wait until Justise was completely injury free (ankle?) to run him out as our "4", getting Matt into the starting lineup too.

The 2015 comparison is a stretch.

jimsumner
11-23-2019, 03:21 PM
By far the weakest link.

Quinn was a point guard who played shooting guard and is one of the top two or three senior leaders of all time under Coach K. Stanley is a freshman wing, whom it wouldn't be a stretch to say is playing small forward on this year's team.

Yeah, they are both pure point guards who seem to really love being part of a Duke team.

IIRC, Coach K had to wait until Justise was completely injury free (ankle?) to run him out as our "4", getting Matt into the starting lineup too.

The 2015 comparison is a stretch.

Winslow played the middle part of the season with rib issues.

The 2015 team was unusual--if not unique-because Ojeleye transferred at the semester break and Sulaimon was dismissed from the team shortly afterwards, leaving Duke with an eight-player squad of recruited players.

Hopefully, that will not be replicated this season. I think it is possible to cut down the nets with less turmoil.

brevity
11-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Thanks, folks.

I realize it's a totally forced comparison. Just saying to not be surprised if the media hop on it as the year progresses.

Here’s something I’ve never said before: starting this thread was a good idea.

For the past couple of days I’ve involuntarily pinned some Winslow-sized hopes on Wendell Moore following a similar narrative of “overlooked recruit evolves into essential contributor.” Another thread compared Carey to Okafor (to Brand). And then there’s the Jones brothers. Three separate concepts floating around, finally brought together here. The right place, the right time.

I am unconcerned with the ways the 2015/2020 comparison may stumble. It was somewhere in the back of our minds, and it needed to be publicly stated.

Sporks forthcoming if possible.

slower
11-23-2019, 08:57 PM
Here’s something I’ve never said before: starting this thread was a good idea.

For the past couple of days I’ve involuntarily pinned some Winslow-sized hopes on Wendell Moore following a similar narrative of “overlooked recruit evolves into essential contributor.” Another thread compared Carey to Okafor (to Brand). And then there’s the Jones brothers. Three separate concepts floating around, finally brought together here. The right place, the right time.

I am unconcerned with the ways the 2015/2020 comparison may stumble. It was somewhere in the back of our minds, and it needed to be publicly stated.

Sporks forthcoming if possible.
Hey, thanks, Brev.

It's mostly just a fun exercise, but I figured we might as well lay claim to it as our own idea, before some external entity latches on to it (if they haven't already). And I know the concept is flawed/simplistic/whatever (which is EXACTLY why the talking heads would embrace it), but it just feels like it's waiting to happen, if things go well for the team. We shall see.

Furniture
11-23-2019, 11:54 PM
I’d put White with Jones. Jefferson with Javin and Grayson with Baker (yes I know there is a year difference).