PDA

View Full Version : Analytics-based look at recruiting rankings

Duke05
11-23-2019, 06:39 AM
An interesting look at recruiting rankings from a Duke alum posting on the KenPom blog: (https://kenpom.com/blog/which-college-basketball-programs-are-the-best-at-recruiting/)

Ultimately, to achieve the goal of measuring the recruiting strength of each team, we need to look further than the current popular ranking sources. While considering this task, I developed a hypothesis: the difficulty of recruiting a player can be measured by the number of teams that a coach/program has to beat out in the process of landing the player, as well as how good those other teams are at recruiting.

[...]

Using recruiting offers and commitment data from 24/7Sports, I ran the PageRank-style algorithm to get a rating system (I have dubbed it “SIFFrating” here for easy identification) that hits on everything I was looking for:

It accounts for the fact that not every recruit is equally difficult to land since it considers the other programs that a team had to beat out to get a recruit.
The resulting point value awarded to the team who gets the commitment is not arbitrary or a result of personal bias.
Losing out on a recruit is penalized in this system (the team that loses a recruiting battle essentially gives a percentage of its points to the team that it loses to, rather than gaining points).
The system can be used to compare programs over multiple years by simply including recruiting data from additional years in the PageRank-style network.

[...]

By both SIFFrating and SIFFrating+ since 2014, Duke and Kentucky are unsurprisingly the top two recruiting programs by a significant margin.

Sorry if this has already been posted (I didn't see it, but mods please delete if so).

Saratoga2
11-23-2019, 11:01 AM
An interesting look at recruiting rankings from a Duke alum posting on the KenPom blog: (https://kenpom.com/blog/which-college-basketball-programs-are-the-best-at-recruiting/)

Sorry if this has already been posted (I didn't see it, but mods please delete if so).

If a program is recruiting two sought after players for basically the same program and gets the most prized, which causes the other very good recruit to look elsewhere do you penalize the program that gets the better recruit. Sounds like there are some holes in this system of awarding points.