PDA

View Full Version : ACCN Coach K Special

Ggallagher
11-20-2019, 02:48 PM
I don't know whether this is a new show or a repeat of something old, but I just noticed that there is a special on Coach K on the ACC Network tonight at 9:00.

It's "The Class That Saved Coach K" or something like that. It deals with the 1982 recruiting class.

budwom
11-20-2019, 02:51 PM
it's been on dozen of times, but it's a must see. I find many examples of that genre to be pretty weak, but this one was particularly well done, great comments from former players and from K.
Pretty impressive to see what those accomplished, both at Duke and elsewhere...a very impressive group

Ggallagher
11-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Well cool. I don't remember it. But maybe that's one of the "advantages" of turning 70 this year. :)

budwom
11-20-2019, 02:55 PM
Well cool. I don't remember it. But maybe that's one of the "advantages" of turning 70 this year. :)

me too, I'm getting to meet a lot of new people again!

accfanfrom1970
11-20-2019, 03:03 PM
It’s followed by a half hour show An Evening with the Class That Saved Coach K. Basically story telling around the dinner table.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-20-2019, 04:00 PM
As one who cannot get ACCN (I hate Spectrum!), I was very excited to see this was on ESPN last night. I recorded it and plan to watch it soon.

AtlDuke72
11-20-2019, 07:34 PM
it's been on dozen of times, but it's a must see. I find many examples of that genre to be pretty weak, but this one was particularly well done, great comments from former players and from K.
Pretty impressive to see what those accomplished, both at Duke and elsewhere...a very impressive group

If is a terrific show but i had gone 33 years without having to relive the end of the Louisville game. Still the most painful loss ever for me.

OldPhiKap
11-20-2019, 07:54 PM
If is a terrific show but i had gone 33 years without having to relive the end of the Louisville game. Still the most painful loss ever for me.

I was on the Main Quad that night, watching on the Diamondvision brought in for the event. Ugghhh.....

msdukie
11-20-2019, 11:41 PM
As one who cannot get ACCN (I hate Spectrum!), I was very excited to see this was on ESPN last night. I recorded it and plan to watch it soon.

If you have Spectrum, you can get ACCN.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-20-2019, 11:53 PM
If you have Spectrum, you can get ACCN.

Not if you are a Spectrum customer who previously was a Time Warner customer.

4Gen
11-21-2019, 07:41 AM
Not if you are a Spectrum customer who previously was a Time Warner customer.

You have to call them and sign up, again. And then switch cable boxes. I did it and I'm actually paying less.

weezie
11-21-2019, 08:02 AM

I turned it off. Couldn't take it.

jv001
11-21-2019, 08:18 AM
You have to call them and sign up, again. And then switch cable boxes. I did it and I'm actually paying less.

I'm a former TW customer and now Spectrum. I didn't have to sign up again to get the ACCN. However, I'm not liking the programming, with the volleyball of all volleyball games, I saw about 10-15 minutes out of the entire 40. They need to make some changes and do it quickly. GoDuke!

Ggallagher
11-21-2019, 08:44 AM
I turned it off. Couldn't take it.

First of all, I'm amazed I've never seen this before. It really is great to hear these guys talk about their experiences. But I'm probably going to be with you. I've only watched about the first hour so far, but there's no way I want to experience the end again. Like several others, that remains the most painful loss I ever experienced.

It was a double loss for me since I was sort of collateral damage in a prank that was played the day after the game. I was sitting in my office that morning feeling very depressed when I guy I was only barely acquainted with, walked in and sat down in front of my desk. He was obviously badly shaken by something. I actually didn't know much about him other than his name; but he just opened up to me and was very nearly crying in his distress. He said his wife had just called from home and the NCAA had announced the title game had been taken away from Louisville due to a massive drug scandal.

Now I had no idea until that moment that he was a Louisville graduate, and he had no idea that I was a Duke graduate. I sat there stunned, and after a few minutes he just got up and left. Of course being 1986 it wasn't like I could hop on the internet and read about the story. I think I sat there in a fog for about fifteen minutes wondering what had happened. Then my new "friend" came back into my office to let me know he was all better. Turns out his wife had just played an April Fools joke on him to jerk him around with the phone call about the drug sting.

He walked out feeling all better and I continued to sit there all re-depressed.

It still hurts a lot.

kako
11-21-2019, 07:15 PM
First of all, I'm amazed I've never seen this before. It really is great to hear these guys talk about their experiences. But I'm probably going to be with you. I've only watched about the first hour so far, but there's no way I want to experience the end again. Like several others, that remains the most painful loss I ever experienced.

It was a double loss for me since I was sort of collateral damage in a prank that was played the day after the game. I was sitting in my office that morning feeling very depressed when I guy I was only barely acquainted with, walked in and sat down in front of my desk. He was obviously badly shaken by something. I actually didn't know much about him other than his name; but he just opened up to me and was very nearly crying in his distress. He said his wife had just called from home and the NCAA had announced the title game had been taken away from Louisville due to a massive drug scandal.

Now I had no idea until that moment that he was a Louisville graduate, and he had no idea that I was a Duke graduate. I sat there stunned, and after a few minutes he just got up and left. Of course being 1986 it wasn't like I could hop on the internet and read about the story. I think I sat there in a fog for about fifteen minutes wondering what had happened. Then my new "friend" came back into my office to let me know he was all better. Turns out his wife had just played an April Fools joke on him to jerk him around with the phone call about the drug sting.

He walked out feeling all better and I continued to sit there all re-depressed.

It still hurts a lot.

If the wife did that to me, we'd be divorced. There are some places you just don't go...

9F

BlueandWhite
11-21-2019, 10:01 PM

Agree - they did an excellent job producing the show, pulling together old footage such as K’s earliest press conferences, some great conversation around the dinner table, footage from memorable (win over UNC in 84 ACCs) and not so memorable games (losses to UVA in ACCs and Washington in NCAAs), and don’t get me started on the Louisville game, I was at the game — and yes, it was the most painful Duke loss ever, still.

mattyoung18
11-21-2019, 10:14 PM
If is a terrific show but i had gone 33 years without having to relive the end of the Louisville game. Still the most painful loss ever for me.I started following Duke in 89 but that play by Bilas at the 5 minute mark was definitely a charge then Johnny missing a 15 footer under a minute was unusual he was always money.I'm glad I didnt watch tv till 87 yikes.The refs gave Louisville the momentum with that call on Bilas terrible call.

SkyBrickey
01-01-2020, 08:43 PM
I just watched this show. Very well done. I would highly recommend to any Duke fans whether you were around for 82-86 or not. Lots of footage of a very young Coach K. And it was produced by our very favorite ESPN commentator... :)

You can find it online and I believe stream it if you have rights to ESPN through your provider.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-01-2020, 09:03 PM
I just watched this show. Very well done. I would highly recommend to any Duke fans whether you were around for 82-86 or not. Lots of footage of a very young Coach K. And it was produced by our very favorite ESPN commentator... :)

You can find it online and I believe stream it if you have rights to ESPN through your provider.

It's a great watch....not as awesome as "I Hate Christian Laettner" - but a worthwhile watch. The 86 team was my favorite, and that loss to L'ville in the NCAAT game still stings. I have to skip that part of this special.

MChambers
01-02-2020, 08:19 AM
I watched it, too, for the first time (I think). I really enjoyed it. It showed how impressive a group of players and persons were on that 1986 team. David Henderson, in particular, comes off as the real leader of the team. Also, if you doubt that Jay Bilas bleeds Duke blue, watch this show.

brevity
01-02-2020, 06:27 PM
If you have the ACC Network, you can watch a rerun of "The Class that Saved Coach K" this Sunday, January 5.

9:00-10:30pm "The Class that Saved Coach K"
10:30-11:00pm An Evening with the Class that Saved Coach K

If you don't get the ACC Network, you should know that I have come across this program on one of the proper ESPN channels. If I find it again, I'll post the details here.

DisplacedBlueDevil
01-04-2020, 06:24 PM
If you have the ACC Network, you can watch a rerun of "The Class that Saved Coach K" this Sunday, January 5.

9:00-10:30pm "The Class that Saved Coach K"
10:30-11:00pm An Evening with the Class that Saved Coach K

If you don't get the ACC Network, you should know that I have come across this program on one of the proper ESPN channels. If I find it again, I'll post the details here.

Don't miss the second part, "Evening with the class" - it's a separate recording! :)