PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Player Poll- THE FINALS!!! Battier vs. Dawkins

JasonEvans
11-06-2007, 09:26 AM
It comes down to this...

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/010206/images/lg_dawkinsaa.jpg vs. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/2001/ncaa_tourney/east/news/2001/03/22/ucla_duke_ap/t1_battier_ap.jpg

Johnny Dawkins vs. Shane Battier

This is the final poll and will be open until Friday. The poll itself will not be active for a few hours. Feel free to post your initial campaign statements here so folks can read them before they make up their mind. This is not an easy choice.

--Jason "should I allow multiple votes so folks can vote for both? Ha!! No way I am letting you all off that easy!!" Evans

riverside6
11-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Here are the links to their career stats for what it's worth...

Johnny Dawkins (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/players.asp?search=johnny dawkins)

Shane Battier (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/players.asp?search=shane battier)

For me, it's a no brainer, it's Shane. Admittedly I was till fairly young when Dawkins was working his magic, but I'll never forget how Shane could absolutely dominate all phases of a game.

JasonEvans
11-06-2007, 09:53 AM
How they got here:

#2 seed Shane Battier-

Qualified with 91.37% of the vote in preliminary poll
Won round of 32 vs. #31 seed Dahntay Jones with 94.48%
Won Sweet 16 vs. #15 seed Nate James with 92.14%
Won Great 8 vs. #7 seed JJ Redick with 77.30%
Won Final Four vs. #3 seed Grant Hill with 55.16%

#4 seed Johnny Dawkins-

Qualified with 86.07% of the vote in the preliminary poll
Won round of 32 vs. #29 Robert Brickey with 92.76%
Won Sweet 16 vs. #13 seed Shelden Williams with 83.54%
Won Great 8 vs. #5 seed Bobby Hurley with 52.72%
Won Final Four vs. #1 seed Jason Williams with 61.03%

johnb
11-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Okay, I know that Shane spoke like a senator when he was 17, was the 3-time defensive player of the year, led us to Olympus, and is an all around good guy. He has been the clear favorite since voting began.

And I know that Johnny has liabilities: he doesn't speak loudly, younger voters have mostly seen him wearig a suit rather than exploding through the lane drilling a jump shot or finishing an alley oop as a 6'2" skinny guy; and he defeated Bobby--who has a large and passionate fan base that is currently out killing kittens.

Nevertheless, he the most crucial recruit/player in modern Duke history, without whom K might well have been fired, leading to a current reality that is most reminiscent of sci fi novels in which Germany won WWII. We'd all be hearing about how Carolina has now won 22 consecutive ACC championships and 9 national championships in 2 decades behind such superstars as Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, Shane Battier. We'd be on our 6th coach in 20 years, and there would be much discussion of how basketball let down our modestly successful football program, which was the reason that we had to drop down into the Patriot League. We'd be making self-loathing cracks about our chances to beat Carolina in the annual preseason exhibition that is scheduled so that alumni can return to Chapel Hill and laugh at Duke people. With the fall of the sports program, our overall applications start to drop, and instead of getting a US News ranking that always seems higher than we deserve, we begin a slide into the third tier of colleges. There is talk of bankruptcy and having to change the name of the school to Gates University. Ipods are banned on campus. Everyone walks around with the long, gray faces of post- war East Berlin apparichniks who stare mournfully over the fence at the Carolina students who giddily frolic in the sunlight. Without Johnny, we would have become the living dead.

You have a vote because of Johnny. Use it wisely.

shadowfax336
11-06-2007, 10:20 AM
So I think we can agree that Dawkins was more IMPORTANT...

Just like clearly MOST people will agree that Laettner was the best winner, Redick was the best scorer, Battier was the best defender

and you can have a fun time debating J-Will, Laettner, Grant, Brand, Gminski, Dawkins, Redick, Battier, or whoever else for best Player

But this here is a FAVORITE PLAYER poll

And really...
is there any doubt that that is Shane?

JasonEvans
11-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Ahhh, I got sick of waiting. The poll is now up and active. Have at it!!

--Jason "we vote until Friday... which is when the regular season starts and stuff like this should be sent to the sidelines" Evans

TillyGalore
11-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I was the first to vote. :)

Oh, I voted for Shane because he's my daddy. Though johnb made a very good argument for Johnny Dawkins.

camion
11-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Man, this is tough. I never thought I'd pick anyone over Shane as my favorite. But then you throw Johnny D at me. Yes, I remember them both. Both were outstanding college players and are outstanding people. You couldn't hope for better. I'm going to have to think about this one a while.

Okay, I've decided. I vote for Johnny Dawkins (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22725&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152862&Q_SEASON=2007). I guess what finally decided it for me is his continuing contribution to Duke basketball. Seeing him on the sidelines with K at games gives me a feeling the program is in very good hands. I hope Shane returns after his pro career is over. If that happens I might very well change my vote in a future poll.

grc5
11-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I voted for JD, because I'm still bitter about Battier taking down my personal favorite (JJ). Irrational? Yes. But as we have said on numerous occaisions, this is about FAVORITES. And I still hold a grudge against Shane, even though he had noting to do with JJ's downfall. Like I said, I'm irrational. :D

riverside6
11-06-2007, 10:47 AM
I voted for JD, because I'm still bitter about Battier taking down my personal favorite (JJ). Irrational? Yes. But as we have said on numerous occaisions, this is about FAVORITES. And I still hold a grudge against Shane, even though he had noting to do with JJ's downfall. Like I said, I'm irrational. :D
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed that Redick and Battier were in the same "regional", so I know how you feel. That being said, I still had to go with Battier.

One more thing about Johnny Dawkins that I thought I would share. Last year, at the downtown YMCA, Johnny was there watching his son play. At the same time, my boy went up to Johnny who was holding a Duke basketball and my son asked him if he could use it. Johnny smiled and allowed my son to shoot and even carried on a conversation with him while he shot. It says a lot about how much Johnny loves the game of basketball, and I will never forget that about him.

blu62
11-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Johnny Dawkins was absolutely LOVED as a player. Even as a 1962 grad who never saw him play, I was aware of how he took over Duke basketball.

People were totally passionate about him.

It is a reflection of the age of the people on the board and when they became fans that is determining the choices of favorite player. Me, I became a fan in early childhood and saw Dick Groat play (although I really didn't 'get it' until later.

With all of that history, Johnny D was Dawsom. Dawkins is the man!

mark3401
11-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Battier best defender? Is that a strong consensus? What about Billy King?

We all have our bias to certain years and players. I was at Duke from '86 to '89 .... Go Johnny. I ran into him at the arcade. He put out his hand and said.. hi, I 'm Johnny... with a grin on his face. The most exciting Duke player of all time! (well, Brickey is pretty close behind :) )

The Gordog
11-06-2007, 11:29 AM
....I ran into him at the arcade. He put out his hand and said.. hi, I 'm Johnny... with a grin on his face. The most exciting Duke player of all time! (well, Brickey is pretty close behind :) )

That's the way I remember him as well (I'm T'86). From what I've seen and heard he's still the same way, a charismatic mix of humility and confidance.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2007, 12:11 PM
I have until Friday to decide. Good. I think I know which was I'll vote, but I've got to think about this for a day or two. And no, I'm not going to check out how the voting is going before I vote. No early exit polls are going to sway my vote!

My thanks to God for giving us so many wonderful players at Duke from which to choose!

Wander
11-06-2007, 12:40 PM
It is a reflection of the age of the people on the board and when they became fans that is determining the choices of favorite player.

Interesting point. I've never heard that before on these threads.

blazindw
11-06-2007, 12:44 PM
For me, I'm going with the man that thoroughly introduced me to Duke Basketball. My man, one of the greatest human beings, much less basketball players, that I've had the pleasure of knowing. My vote's for our daddy, Shane Battier.

throatybeard
11-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Are JWill and Grant going to play in a 3rd place game?

Lavabe
11-06-2007, 12:57 PM
But this here is a FAVORITE PLAYER poll

And really...
is there any doubt that that is Shane?

No doubt...
None whatsoever ...
Nada...
No way ...
Zilch ...

And Who's your daddy Mr Knight?
Mine is Shane.
Cheers,
Lavabe

EarlJam
11-06-2007, 01:07 PM
One more thing about Johnny Dawkins that I thought I would share. Last year, at the downtown YMCA, Johnny was there watching his son play.

What's the scoop on Johnny's son? How old is he now? Will he be coming to Duke? Will he be a star college player like his dad?

-EarlJam

OldPhiKap
11-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Shane was a great, solid player. Always there when you needed him.

Dawkins was a powder keg. BAM! Steal, drive, soar, change directions in mid-air (how the heck did he do that?!?), slam! Great defense, incredible offense, great leader. Plus, if Dawkins hadn't've come, K may not have been kept around long enough to be the institution he is today.

So, if you're glad that K is the coach, you gotta give the love to Johnny. If you hate K -- vote for someone else.

TillyGalore
11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
So, if you're glad that K is the coach, you gotta give the love to Johnny. If you hate K -- vote for someone else.

Does that work in reverse? If you voted for someone else than you hate K. I'm not trying to be funny or a smart I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. just asking.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Johnny smacked Doherty down. What's not to love?

EarlJam
11-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Man, Dawkins is getting smoked! I'm surprised.

wilson
11-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Does that work in reverse? If you voted for someone else than you hate K. I'm not trying to be funny or a smart I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. just asking.

This is swaying dangerously close to PPB material.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2007, 02:25 PM
^ The DC precinct must still be out.

MulletMan
11-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I knew that this whole deal was going to come down to JD v. Shane. My two favorite Duke players that had a chance to win this tourney. I resolved last week that if this was the case I would vote for Shane as my thoughts on JD are colored by what he has done as a coach... and this is a player poll. Shane gave us a National Title in '01. He made one of my single favorite plays in Duke history: the backhanded tip in against 'Zona. His jersey hangs in my closet!

Having said that, I am now having voters remorse after voting for Shane. I feel like I owe JD more.

Oh well, I bet JD would have voted for Shane!

wilson
11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
<Chris Farley SNL "cable access show" voice>Remember how Shane used to always barf in a towel before the game, and then that one time, he made like6 threes against Maryland, and he didn't barf anymore, and then we won the national championship? Man, that was really cool.</Chris Farley SNL "cable access show" voice>

johnb
11-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Remember how Shane used to always barf in a towel before the game

His jersey hangs in my closet!

Good souvenir move in picking the jersey over the personalized towel.

Bostondevil
11-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Much as I love Shane, this one is no contest for me . . .

Go Johnny Go!

allenmurray
11-06-2007, 02:45 PM
What's the scoop on Johnny's son? How old is he now? Will he be coming to Duke? Will he be a star college player like his dad?

-EarlJam

Johnny has two sons, one is in 9th grade this year and the other is in 8th grade. They are both good basketball players.

bdh21
11-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Oh well, I bet JD would have voted for Shane!

And vice versa!

husWagner1983
11-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Vote for the guy who opted for Duke and helped return the program to one of the best. A lot of guys who committed to Duke since probably would not have came to Duke without Johnny helping to put the program back on track.

Shane was great for Duke, but Johnny deserves everyones vote.

TillyGalore
11-06-2007, 02:54 PM

This is swaying dangerously close to PPB material.

I'm trying point out that the statement is ridiculous. If you love K vote this way, if you don't love K vote that way.

If you don't love K, get the heck off this board!

EarlJam
11-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Good souvenir move in picking the jersey over the personalized towel.

I wonder what a puke-marinated Shane Battier towel would go for on eBay.

-EarlJam

riverside6
11-06-2007, 03:01 PM

-EarlJam
He looked to be around 11 or 12 if I had to guess, so I'd say he's a ways off. That being said, any kid that can get in a gym as much as he can, I'm sure he'll be a good player if he chooses to be.

YmoBeThere
11-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I voted for Johnny Dawkins, part of being a favorite for me is related to skill. Shane was a great player but both Grant and Johnny were more skilled players. I voted for both, not as a slight against Shane, but the skill level of JD and Grant were on a different level than Shane.

I continue to believe that many voting graduated well after JD and or Grant and don't appreciate how much more skilled they were. I know this is about favorites...

OldPhiKap
11-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Johnny didn't need a movie to release his inner chi.

He had chi out the wazoo the day he stepped on campus.

And it was spectacular.

(BTW, perhaps someone missed the "hyperbole" portion of my prior quote. Although every time someone votes against Johnny, an angel loses its wings. True fact.)

YmoBeThere
11-06-2007, 03:28 PM
The final sign that JD was the right choice in this poll was that I hit 555 posts. Not that this should influence any decision making... or that anyone cares!:)

micah75
11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Okay, I've decided. I vote for Johnny Dawkins (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22725&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152862&Q_SEASON=2007). I guess what finally decided it for me is his continuing contribution to Duke basketball. Seeing him on the sidelines with K at games gives me a feeling the program is in very good hands. I hope Shane returns after his pro career is over. If that happens I might very well change my vote in a future poll....

All good arguments. But it's not that Shane is not contributing to Duke now that he's a pro. He's still an ambassador for Duke. A few days ago I watched an NBA roundup segment on DSPN. They showed Shane draining a 3, then someone asked, in a snide sort of way, I think it was Kiki Vandeweghe: "And what college did he go to?" Then a few seconds of awkward silence until someone finally mumbled with obvious disdain: "Duke." Okay, never mind that the hate is still on. I just found it interesting that Shane, despite being well into his pro career, is still the recipient of smart-*** remarks by DSPN pundits, simply by dint of his connection with his alma mater.

I know this is kinda trivial and not necessarily a reason to cast a vote for Shane. Just sorta pointing out that the alums in the NBA (and overseas for that matter) are representing Duke, knowingly or unknowingly.

Lord Ash
11-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Shane. Shane seemed to do more with less God given, and he did it always at the height of class and at the peak of success. I love JD, but this is no contest to me.

killerleft
11-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Shane leads handily as I post. There is no bad choice here. I do think that if everybody who voted saw Johnny play as often as they saw Shane, the results would be about even.

Those who are too young to remember Johnny, I hope there are some videos out there that will do justice to Johnny Dawkins the player. I still have a few VCR tapes of him, but the antenna reception I relied on doesn't provide a clear picture for most of the games. The ACC tourney title game in '86 against Georgia Tech (with Mark Price, John Salley, Bruce Dalrymple, etc.) is one of my all-time favorite Duke games. The opponent was great, Johnny & Company were better.

AtlDuke72
11-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Johnny Dawkins brought Duke basketball back to life and he is still there! I vote for him over my second all time favorite player.

devildeac
11-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey Jason, I wonder how much Carlos hates you now:D

mark3401
11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
the point about skill is an interesting one. Always tough with these things. Though the poll is about Favorite not Best. Dawkins obviously was in a different league than Battier. Battier was a good player and great leader. Johnny was extraordinary as a player and a leader as well.

Biggest winner ever for Duke (i.e. if I could pick one player in his prime in college to help ensure we cut the nets) is a no brainer of course in Christian.

I am ready for the season!!

madscavenger
11-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I've looked at this every which way possible and cannot seperate the two. But since a no decision deprives both of an expression of appreciation, i have made a choice: Johnny D. Justification (OK, have to cite something) - Johnny has better hair. They are both number 1 with me. We were/are very fortunate to have observed them play and represent Duke at the highest level. And let us not forget, Johnny and Shane and so many of our other favorites represent us, which is above all, if i might be so bold, why forums like this one exist - to show our appreciation.

RelativeWays
11-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Battier is my second favorite all time Duke player. I became a Duke fan the year after Dawkins graduated. I've seen him on the bench, I've even seen him at Southpoint, but outside of highlights, I've never seen him play live. He did have a pure and accurate mid range jumper. That shot is a lost art.

dukemsu
11-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Reason I vote for Shane in this one is a story I read about the 01 final. After the game, another coach asked K how he did it, having a great team every year. K simply replied: "Battier".

Good enough for me. Shane's the one.

dukemsu

EarlJam
11-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I voted Dawkins but I'll say this about Shane: He's the poster child for the reward of patience and hard work. In '99, for that great team, he was simply a nervous role player. After all the defections, he stuck it out, stayed committed.

When he was a freshman or sophmore, I don't think any Duke fan out there could have predicted what he would become in his junior and senior years. It was amazing to watch and was a great story in Duke history that ended fairytale-like, with a national championship.

The over-looked kid from '99 that stuck around, paid his dues and led his team to the top of his world's biggest mountain - the NCAA National Championship. Awesome.

Again, I voted Dawkins, but have ZERO problem with Shane winning out.

-EarlJam

VaDukie
11-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I voted Dawkins but I'll say this about Shane: He's the poster child for the reward of patience and hard work. In '99, for that great team, he was simply a nervous role player. After all the defections, he stuck it out, stayed committed.

When he was a freshman or sophmore, I don't think any Duke fan out there could have predicted what he would become in his junior and senior years. It was amazing to watch and was a great story in Duke history that ended fairytale-like, with a national championship.

The over-looked kid from '99 that stuck around, paid his dues and led his team to the top of his world's biggest mountain - the NCAA National Championship. Awesome.

Again, I voted Dawkins, but have ZERO problem with Shane winning out.

-EarlJam

I'm not sure if you're giving Shane enough credit for that 99 team. He was National DPOY and 3rd team All-ACC.

throatybeard
11-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Johnny has better hair.

FTR, I voted for Johnny. But Shane has the better scalp.

Bluedawg
11-07-2007, 09:37 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/2001/ncaa_tourney/east/news/2001/03/22/ucla_duke_ap/t1_battier_ap.jpg

I know this is a still picture and it's hard to tell from that, but is this a legal hooking movement with the left elbow?

-jk
11-07-2007, 10:13 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/2001/ncaa_tourney/east/news/2001/03/22/ucla_duke_ap/t1_battier_ap.jpg

I know this is a still picture and it's hard to tell from that, but is this a legal hooking movement with the left elbow?

I'm not sure, but I would say that the outstretched knee is probably not a legal guarding position.

-jk

ajtrublu
11-07-2007, 01:24 PM
...the most crucial recruit/player in modern Duke history, without whom K might well have been fired, leading to a current reality that is most reminiscent of sci fi novels in which Germany won WWII. We'd all be hearing about how Carolina has now won 22 consecutive ACC championships and 9 national championships in 2 decades behind such superstars as Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, Shane Battier. We'd be on our 6th coach in 20 years, and there would be much discussion of how basketball let down our modestly successful football program, which was the reason that we had to drop down into the Patriot League. We'd be making self-loathing cracks about our chances to beat Carolina in the annual preseason exhibition that is scheduled so that alumni can return to Chapel Hill and laugh at Duke people. With the fall of the sports program, our overall applications start to drop, and instead of getting a US News ranking that always seems higher than we deserve, we begin a slide into the third tier of colleges. There is talk of bankruptcy and having to change the name of the school to Gates University. Ipods are banned on campus. Everyone walks around with the long, gray faces of post- war East Berlin apparichniks who stare mournfully over the fence at the Carolina students who giddily frolic in the sunlight. Without Johnny, we would have become the living dead.

BRAVO! That is now on my Top 5 all time favorite posts list! O.k., so I don't really have a list, but if I did, this would be on it.

Like others have said, there's no bad choice here. Nor is there a right or wrong since we're talking "favorite." I love both of these guys with a special love (no...not that kind of special love). But JD edged out Shane here for me. I was a year behind Johnny at Duke, and I was on that season's ride. It was unlike anything that came after (well...the Kentucky game, but that lives on its own plane). Anyone on that grassy knoll in Dallas (wait, the game was in Dallas, the grassy knoll was in Durham) on March 31, 1986 will never forget the depth of the devastation that flooded the quad that night. Our emotional connection to that team was palpable, and it tore us apart to see them lose. Johnny got us so close...soooo close. He was even the top scorer of the tournament that year. There are other teams I adore, but that '86 team has my soul.

Yes, Shane's years were exciting. I was in Minneapolis when he cut down the nets (as was Johnny, let's not forget). I feel my chest puff with pride whenever he's in the spotlight. He's more than worthy of this win. But Johnny...well, to me, Johnny is the end all and be all of Duke Basketball, along with K of course.

My heart may belong to Daddy, but my vote belongs to Johnny Dawkins.

OldSchool
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Johnny D gets my vote.

One of the things that amazes me about JD was that his field goal % ended up being as high as it was. Because Johnny was the one expected to make something happen when there was nothing there, when Alarie couldn't get going and we couldn't find a matchup to go to anywhere else. So many times when the offense was stuck, Johnny would just will the ball into the basket. Some games, JD took a LOT of shots.

And every now and then we would be treated to seeing Johnny throw down an alley oop. All 6'2" 180 lbs. of him.

JasonEvans
11-07-2007, 02:07 PM
JD trails by more than 50 votes... but in his semi-final matchup he was basically tied beffore a huge run of JD votes put him ove rthe top. The guy is great at coming from behind and never giving up. Just because the margin seems unsurmountable, don't give up JD voters!!

--Jason "who still has not decided who he is voting for" Evans

KBCrazie
11-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Anyone on that grassy knoll in Dallas (wait, the game was in Dallas, the grassy knoll was in Durham) on March 31, 1986 will never forget the depth of the devastation that flooded the quad that night. Our emotional connection to that team was palpable, and it tore us apart to see them lose. Johnny got us so close...soooo close. He was even the top scorer of the tournament that year. There are other teams I adore, but that '86 team has my soul.

I was E'88 and a member of a fraternity whose section was a stone's throw from the big screen on Main West that night. I lived through that fairytale season only to have it come crashing down mercilessly at the hands of "Never Nervous Pervis". After reading this part of your post, tears began welling in my eyes and I nearly started blubbering at my desk. *sniff* There I go, again. *sniff*

This is a no-brainer for me. As the signs in Cameron used to say "JD is GOD!" How can you not vote for a Blue Devil deity?!?! Did the student section bow to any Duke player BJD? (Before JD)

I, too, used to hang at Devil's Quarters and once played a round of pool with Johnny (and Kevin Strickland, but does it really matter?). He was so down-to-earth and CONNECTED with the student body. I remember JD playing in the IM hoops championship game against our team in US Olympic team warmups. Wait, WHAT?!?! How can you not vote for that?

We (heart) you Johnny! Don't ever leave!

OldPhiKap
11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
I was E'88 and a member of a fraternity whose section was a stone's throw from the big screen on Main West that night. I lived through that fairytale season only to have it come crashing down mercilessly at the hands of "Never Nervous Pervis". After reading this part of your post, tears began welling in my eyes and I nearly started blubbering at my desk. *sniff* There I go, again. *sniff*

This is a no-brainer for me. As the signs in Cameron used to say "JD is GOD!" How can you not vote for a Blue Devil deity?!?! Did the student section bow to any Duke player BJD? (Before JD)

^ I lived on East, and had to walk home after the quad gig. What a painful night.

I tell folks today about kegs lining the quad and the huge Diamondvision on the quad, and they always respond the same way -- "they let you walk on the quad grass back then?"

Times have changed. Not necessarily for the better.

mark3401
11-07-2007, 03:25 PM
What a night that was. Literally a keg every 12 feet. Just one year earlier I had not even watched an NCAA game (grew up in Europe), yet on that night I cried and put my fist through a wall.

Johnny Dawkins made me love basketball. I just turned 40 and still felt like putting a fist through the wall a couple of years ago in Atlanta sitting in the stands at the end of the LSU game. I am slightly more mature now, but still anxious for tip off Friday.

And who could forget the famous Rivers blocked shot to win the game and the reverse dunk.

ajtrublu
11-07-2007, 03:30 PM

I started to well up myself typing it. It's impossible to explain the eerie, stunned silence that fell over the packed crowd — on the grass, hanging out of windows, sitting in the trees (yes, people were sitting up in the trees) —followed by a few quiet, sniffling sobs...and slowly but surely every single eye on campus spilled tears. The emotions were so strong that even now, when we talk about it, I can feel that same lead in my chest.

It really was a fairytale season. And that's what I think people who came to Duke Basketball post '86 don't get, through no fault of their own. We've gotten so used to winning that our perspective is skewed. It's understandable. Probably unavoidable. Not to minimize anything Shane did or brought, but he came to a winning program with a proven, seasoned coach and a stable of top tier players by his side. Johnny is the foundation upon which the dynasty Shane stepped into is built, and he remains an inextricable part of it to this day.

OldPhiKap
11-07-2007, 05:13 PM
I started to well up myself typing it. It's impossible to explain the eerie, stunned silence that fell over the packed crowd — on the grass, hanging out of windows, sitting in the trees (yes, people were sitting up in the trees) —followed by a few quiet, sniffling sobs...and slowly but surely every single eye on campus spilled tears. The emotions were so strong that even now, when we talk about it, I can feel that same lead in my chest.

It really was a fairytale season. And that's what I think people who came to Duke Basketball post '86 don't get, through no fault of their own. We've gotten so used to winning that our perspective is skewed. It's understandable. Probably unavoidable. Not to minimize anything Shane did or brought, but he came to a winning program with a proven, seasoned coach and a stable of top tier players by his side. Johnny is the foundation upon which the dynasty Shane stepped into is built, and he remains an inextricable part of it to this day.

^Extremely well worded. Dead bang on.

JBDuke
11-07-2007, 05:23 PM
...And every now and then we would be treated to seeing Johnny throw down an alley oop. All 6'2" 180 lbs. of him.

I loved watching JD dunk the ball - not because it was a power-dunking kind of show, but because he was so small and just seemed to levitate up for the jam.

BTW, there's no way JD is or was 6'2". More like 6'0". And during his playing days, I'd guess his weight was more like 160 than 180. Which of course makes many of his athletic achievements even more impressive.

JBDuke
11-07-2007, 05:33 PM
What a night that was. Literally a keg every 12 feet. Just one year earlier I had not even watched an NCAA game (grew up in Europe), yet on that night I cried and put my fist through a wall.

Johnny Dawkins made me love basketball. I just turned 40 and still felt like putting a fist through the wall a couple of years ago in Atlanta sitting in the stands at the end of the LSU game. I am slightly more mature now, but still anxious for tip off Friday.

And who could forget the famous Rivers blocked shot to win the game and the reverse dunk.

Ah, smells like another member of the Class of '89! Welcome! (Jason Evans, Susan, and I are all in that class. I'm sure there are others around.)

And, as fate would have it, I had to WORK that Monday night of the Championship game. I had a work/study job, and I took Monday nights partially because there were no basketball games on Monday nights - WITH ONE BIG EXCEPTION. And absolutely no one would trade with me - what a shock.

So, I borrowed a portable TV from a friend, and sat behind the Reserve Desk in the East Campus Library, watching the game on a little 4" black and white screen with fuzzy reception. Absolutely miserable.

Believe or not, I had 6-8 people come up to the desk during the course of the game, too. What were they thinking???

YmoBeThere
11-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Again no slight to the Shane or the kids. I got to Duke shortly after JD finished up and was there during a string of success. I was a fan and had distinct memories of Duke in the early '80's, suffered through the loss to L'ville in front of a 19" Color TV in our living room in AZ and recognize what Johnny meant to the program at that time.

When I was younger, I always hated when adults would say something like "You just don't understand." But now that the shoe is on the other foot, I know what they mean when they say it. The students of today and recent years will outnumber those of us voting for Johnny Dawkins and Shane will "win" this poll. However, while others have put it much more eloquently, all I can say is that many of you just won't understand.

gep
11-07-2007, 10:12 PM
When I was younger, I always hated when adults would say something like "You just don't understand." But now that the shoe is on the other foot, I know what they mean when they say it. The students of today and recent years will outnumber those of us voting for Johnny Dawkins and Shane will "win" this poll. However, while others have put it much more eloquently, all I can say is that many of you just won't understand.

And... that's what I think is the great thing about this poll. It helps us who "just don't understand" get a better understanding of Duke's rich basketball history and its players. Thanks to all for sharing...:)

SilkyJ
11-07-2007, 10:40 PM
momma would be disappointed if she knew but j dawk is the reason coach k is coach k, and coach k is what makes me so proud to be from duke.

JasonEvans
11-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Ah, smells like another member of the Class of '89! Welcome! (Jason Evans, Susan, and I are all in that class. I'm sure there are others around.)

And, as fate would have it, I had to WORK that Monday night of the Championship game. I had a work/study job, and I took Monday nights partially because there were no basketball games on Monday nights - WITH ONE BIG EXCEPTION. And absolutely no one would trade with me - what a shock.

So, I borrowed a portable TV from a friend, and sat behind the Reserve Desk in the East Campus Library, watching the game on a little 4" black and white screen with fuzzy reception. Absolutely miserable.

Believe or not, I had 6-8 people come up to the desk during the course of the game, too. What were they thinking???

I still recall one of the funniest comics ever in the Chronicle the day after the National Championship game in 1986.

It showed three male Duke students with beer cups dangling from their fingertips. They looked beaten and haggard. All were wearing Duke basketball T-shirts. The jumbo big screen in the background shows the final score of the game with Duke losing to Louisville. Walking toward them is a smaller, geeky-looking guy with his backpack slung over both shoulders. He speaks: "Hey guys, did we win? I was in the library."

The cartoon had the following caption: "There was only one report of violence on campus last night..."

--Jason "still makes me smile to this day-- I wish the Chronicle archived comics and papers back then but the PC age was only beginning and no one had even heard of the internet" Evans

JasonEvans
11-08-2007, 08:36 AM

Another 1986 memory comes washing back over me...

Right before Duke played in the nationla title game my uncle called me. As some of you may know, my family are all Carolina fans. He wanted to share with me that he too had been fortunate enough to be on campus for a national title game when he was in school, in 1957. He remarked how rare it was to see your team go to the Final Four, let alone have a great chance to win it all. We spoke at lenth about how magical the Duke season had been and how I would probably never experience anything like this again in my life.

You see, back then the notion of a team going to multiple Final Fours in a 4 year period was almost unthinkable. It was just so rare. I am not sure what changed so fundamentally about the game but it has become so much more commonplace since the mid-80s. Starting in the late 1980s and especially once you get to the 90s the elite programs began mading several Final Fours a decade, often back-to-back or 2 in 3 years.

Trust me when I tell you that in 1986 the notion that Duke would go on to make 7 Final Fours in 9 years was ludicrous. You would have been laughed out of any basketball conversation to suggest any school would do that. Heck, I bet you could have gotten 10 or 20 to 1 on Duke or any program making even 3 Final Fours in 4 years back then. The climate has changed, to be sure.

And JD was the guy who started it. People who were not there in 1986 cannot udnerstand how much he was THE MAN who started it all.

It took me a long time and reading a lot of posts, but I have deicded who is getting my vote.

--Jason "not that it matters, Shane is winning by 50 votes... and Shane is a very worthy champ, for sure" Evans

mapei
11-08-2007, 01:10 PM
First, this has all been enormous fun, and props to Jason for it.

But methinks some folks take it too seriously. If you voted for someone other than Shane, it doesn't mean I think you were "wrong" or that you "just don't get it." It just means someone else was your favorite. We're all entitled to our reasons, and in the end the criteria are subjective for each of us. Maybe JWill became your favorite because he was nice to your kid; maybe Heyman became your favorite because you hated Larry Brown back in the day; maybe Shel is your man because you have a crush on Candace Parker. Maybe you love the fact that Johnny gave K a boost when he needed it, launching what we now know as Duke basketball, and stayed with the program as an assistant.

All the reasons are just fine as far as I'm concerned. But I find the pejorative tone of some of the posts a bit annoying and definitely unnecessary. All these guys are great.

KBCrazie
11-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I still recall one of the funniest comics ever in the Chronicle the day after the National Championship game in 1986.

Jason, was that by any chance a Chris De Pree comic? That dude drew some hi-LAR-i-ous comics. I have a book of them at home and they always make me chuckle. I have an image in my mind's eye of how he would have drawn that "double-strapper" (one of the worst faux pas one could commit as a college student in the 80s) and it's putting a smile on my face. I'm going to go home and read that book tonight!

Jfrosh
11-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Thank you Jason for this pole and all the memories it has evoked. I too remember sitting on the quad and watching the game in 86 and getting so angry on the walk back with the TV cameras in my face as they tried to get shots of students crying. That was the longest bus ride back to East campus ever.

juise
11-08-2007, 03:45 PM
First, this has all been enormous fun, and props to Jason for it.

But methinks some folks take it too seriously. If you voted for someone other than Shane, it doesn't mean I think you were "wrong" or that you "just don't get it." It just means someone else was your favorite. We're all entitled to our reasons, and in the end the criteria are subjective for each of us.

But I find the pejorative tone of some of the posts a bit annoying and definitely unnecessary. All these guys are great.

I agree on all counts.

I know other have said it several times, but this is just a favorite player poll for the Duke Basketball Report message boards. It's fun, it's entertaining, and it has very little meaning beyond that. It's not like we're voting to rename Cameron or anything. It's just an informal poll amongst the people who visit this message board. There were many more Duke fans out there in 2001 than there were in 1986 (partly thanks to Johnny) and there was much more television coverage as well. Those facts are reflected in this poll, and they need to be accepted.

OldPhiKap
11-08-2007, 04:50 PM
All the reasons are just fine as far as I'm concerned. But I find the pejorative tone of some of the posts a bit annoying and definitely unnecessary. All these guys are great.

I think the ribbing throughout the process was with tongue planted firmly in cheek. You can't set up a competition without folks drawing distinctions. In fact, IIRC this thread started a day or two before the poll opened, with an invitation to make your case on your choice.

Although I'm still steamed that Alarie went out so early . . . . :mad:

g_olaf
11-08-2007, 05:04 PM
I loved watching JD dunk the ball

I know I'm repeating myself, but does anyone have a clip of his dunk against Navy??? Its been over 20 years, my memory is starting to fade.

phaedrus
11-08-2007, 05:43 PM
--Jason "still makes me smile to this day-- I wish the Chronicle archived comics and papers back then but the PC age was only beginning and no one had even heard of the internet" Evans

Actually, the Chronicle has archived things since the early 1900s, but you'll have to travel to Perkins to see it.

merry
11-08-2007, 06:15 PM
We're all entitled to our reasons, and in the end the criteria are subjective for each of us. Maybe JWill became your favorite because he was nice to your kid...

Oh, like THAT could happen ;-)

I voted for JD here just to maintain my status as a grumpy old-timer. In reality, if it mattered, I couldn't possibly choose between these two guys. They were such different players and people playing in such different times for the Duke program. I love them both.

gotoguy
11-08-2007, 06:44 PM
I agree with Merry. I have loved watching both Shane and JD wear the Duke Blue. I voted for Shane but my all time favorite Devil was a teammate of Johnny's, David Henderson. He could do it all, including driving the bus.

JasonEvans
11-08-2007, 08:06 PM
If there are 60 or so JD fans out there waiting until the last minute to vote, I suggest you do so in the next 12 hours ;)

-Jason "who has really enjoyed this, but is kinda glad it is over so the season can start" Evans

Uncle Drew
11-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Since this poll is more a popularity contest than a poll about being most clutch, best role model, best scorer etc. I don't care who wins. But I'm voting for Dawkins and the main reason is well, without Dawkins odds are there wouldn't have been a Battier, JJ, Laettner, Brand etc. at Duke. A lot of the posters such as myself are too young to remember Art Heyman, Dick Groat, Jeff Mullins etc. But 1986 was my sophomore year in high school and I watched every single game that year believing more and more Duke was the best team (they were!) and that I was viewing something historic. It still makes me sick to this day to think back to that loss to Louisville in the championship game. When watching replays of that game to this day I still scream at the screen, "no, don't hold the ball up.....just keep scoring"!

That season had a lot of special memories, and that NCAA tournament; despite the end result had a number of great plays for Duke. But against David Robinson and Navy, Johnny Dawkins had the coolest dunk I've ever seen. Johnny was known for backward stuffs, often even catching them off alley-oops from Amaker and slamming it home. Against Navy however there was a fast break and it was JD and one Navy guard in his way. I don't know if Dawkins didn't realize how far he was from the basket when he jumped or if he even realized the Navy player was there. But he jumped in the air, twisted with his back flying toward the hoop and was almost parallel with the floor and above the Navy guard when he dunked! There was actually contact with the guard after the ball went through which in retrospect could have been called a foul. (But the shot would still have counted.) But I think everyone watching (including the referees) was so amazed what they just saw it took our breath away.

Years later after Johnny was done with his NBA career before he became an assistant coach Johnny used to do the Duke broadcasts with Bob Harris. My ex wife and I went to a game and I took along a couple of 76ers cards to hopefully get an autograph or two. Johnny could see me and several other fans waiting for the broadcast to end to get a moment of his time. But there was no rolling his eyes, or any hint of. "oh God not THIS again" that is so apparent with many athletes. The radio show ended and Johnny came down to meet and greet with a smile and friendly demeanor for everyone. Now there are very, very few human beings alive on this planet I would be star struck to be in the presence of. Jimmy Page, Robert Plant maybe Coach K but I have never been as in awe in my life standing there in front of someone I idolized. (Okay I was in awe of Gminski, but at least I didn't say anything stupid!) I was telling Johnny how awesome that dunk was and how glad I was to meet him and how glad he was back at Duke helping out. My mouth was going 100 MPH and I wasn't in control of half the slobbering gush spewing out. It was about the same era when those Budweiser commercials were popular and my mouth blurted out, "I love you man"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To Johnny's credit he didn't knock me upside my head, but he did take a step back with a really confused look on his face. Dumbfounded by what my mouth had said, my ex-wife came to the rescue and said, "don't worry he's with me". Even in the most awkward of situations Dawkins has always been as cool as the other side of the pillow. He may have never won a ring like a lot of the guys he's been up against. But in a lot of ways Johnny Dawkins IS Duke basketball!

JasonEvans
11-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I am closing this poll and am delighted to declare that

SHANE BATTIER IS THE FAVORITE DUKIE OF THE DBR BOARD!!

Shane, if you are reading, we await your acceptance speech ;)

--Jason "thanks everyone, it has been a fun exercise" Evans

P.S.- I designed this thing to get us through the final few weeks until the season started. We finished just in time!!!

g_olaf
11-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Johnny Dawkins had the coolest dunk I've ever seen. Johnny was known for backward stuffs, often even catching them off alley-oops from Amaker and slamming it home. Against Navy however there was a fast break and it was JD and one Navy guard in his way. I don't know if Dawkins didn't realize how far he was from the basket when he jumped or if he even realized the Navy player was there. But he jumped in the air, twisted with his back flying toward the hoop and was almost parallel with the floor and above the Navy guard when he dunked! There was actually contact with the guard after the ball went through which in retrospect could have been called a foul. (But the shot would still have counted.) But I think everyone watching (including the referees) was so amazed what they just saw it took our breath away.

OK, again, its been 20 years, but I remember, a second Navy player (and I thought it was Robinson) right behind the Navy guard, so Johnny did a high-speed reverse slam over two players. It was truly spectacular, and the reason he was invited to compete in the NBA All-star dunk contest the next year. Not much of a chance to win though, against MJ and Clyde the glide.

EarlJam
11-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I am closing this poll and am delighted to declare that

SHANE BATTIER IS THE FAVORITE DUKIE OF THE DBR BOARD!!

Shane, if you are reading, we await your acceptance speech ;)

P.S.- I designed this thing to get us through the final few weeks until the season started. We finished just in time!!!

Thanks for doing this Jason. It was a lot of fun and brought back a lot of great memories.

Will there be a final ranking, such as a Top 10 or Top 20?

-EarlJam

SilkyJ
11-09-2007, 12:23 PM
OK, again, its been 20 years, but I remember, a second Navy player (and I thought it was Robinson) right behind the Navy guard, so Johnny did a high-speed reverse slam over two players. It was truly spectacular, and the reason he was invited to compete in the NBA All-star dunk contest the next year. Not much of a chance to win though, against MJ and Clyde the glide.

I posted about this elsewhere but can't remember which thread and can't find it. I have heard about this dunk from my dad for 15 years but have never seen it. I would loooooooove to see it if anyone has a video....

Thanks to you jason. these were great and definitely ate up time be4 tonight (btw i loooove these early starts to the season).

silky "how about a little applause for Jason who spent a ton of time running all these polls with diligence and great timing...and the dbr mock draft too, which was the first one ever to get all the way through" j

p.s. i voted for j dawk, but congrats shane. please become president one day, that would be awesome.

Spencer's Daddy
11-09-2007, 12:44 PM
I think it was Doug Wojcik who was the victim of Johnny's butt-in-your-face reverse dunk against Navy in '86. It looks like he's currently the Tulsa coach.

I haven't seen a replay of that in 20 years. Does somebody have the '86 Chanticleer "Video Yearlook"? I'm sure it's on there, repeatedly.

merry
11-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I think it was Doug Wojcik who was the victim of Johnny's butt-in-your-face reverse dunk against Navy in '86. It looks like he's currently the Tulsa coach.

I haven't seen a replay of that in 20 years. Does somebody have the '86 Chanticleer "Video Yearlook"? I'm sure it's on there, repeatedly.

I don't have the video yearbook but I do have a video of the 86 season that I think the Iron Dukes must have sent out. My original copy is in beta format (!!!) but I'm pretty sure we made a VHS copy a few years back. I'll try to dig that up this weekend...if I still have it I need to get a digital copy made!

To be honest I don't remember for sure that dunk being on the video. I do remember Al McGuire doing the lion tamer act in Cameron and JD getting a killer block in a game vs Notre Dame.

g_olaf
11-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Would love to see it if possible.

I did find JD's 1987 All-star dunk contest on Youtube. His second dunk (which was better than his first) is at 2:20 into this section (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrI9EoSaeEs). Classic 180 reverse, bringing the ball down to his knees. Of course, he knew he didn't have a prayer against the competition. Still, fun to watch.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2007, 03:56 PM

Not only does it have some great hoops highlights, it has me playing guitar on a bench on East Campus. Good times.

I know I have that game on a VCR tape somewhere. I'm not sure which will be harder to find -- the tape, or a VCR that still works.

Capn Poptart
11-09-2007, 04:27 PM
It's like choosing between your two kids.:(

g_olaf
11-09-2007, 06:48 PM
My second favorite dunk of all time (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wm7_uFQwW_I): Fast forward to 8:00 minutes

whosyourdaddy31
11-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Wow! That is really all I can say. Shane "Daddy" Battier here, weighing in on the "Favorite Player Poll." First of all, I would like to say that I am humbled and proud (and a tad bit surprised) at all the love thrown my way during the "tournament." It wasn't until the final four that a friend of mine called me up and explained the drill. Well, when I logged on to see I was facing my all-time role model and good friend, Mr. Grant Hill, I couldn't believe it! That alone, made my life.
To be named as the favorite Blue Devil amongst all the great players and people who put on the blue and white is an honor and almost (at least for me) impossible to justify. I would like to echo the sentiments of so many on the boards when I say that it is really unfair to have to pick between so many great players who have defined what Duke hoops is all about. I am proud to be one of the many people who have considered themselves so lucky to be able to call Cameron Indoor home.
People often ask me "What is it about Duke that separates it from the other schools?" Without hesitation, I always answer "The guys who play there." Every player that was mentioned in this poll knows this. And while the names and faces will change, the quality of the person will always remain the same. THAT, ladies and gents, is what you call tradition and it is a tradition that I am proud to be a part of.

Thanks for all of your support and votes. Go Duke!

Shane Battier 01'

devildeac
11-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Wow! That is really all I can say. Shane "Daddy" Battier here, weighing in on the "Favorite Player Poll." First of all, I would like to say that I am humbled and proud (and a tad bit surprised) at all the love thrown my way during the "tournament." It wasn't until the final four that a friend of mine called me up and explained the drill. Well, when I logged on to see I was facing my all-time role model and good friend, Mr. Grant Hill, I couldn't believe it! That alone, made my life.
To be named as the favorite Blue Devil amongst all the great players and people who put on the blue and white is an honor and almost (at least for me) impossible to justify. I would like to echo the sentiments of so many on the boards when I say that it is really unfair to have to pick between so many great players who have defined what Duke hoops is all about. I am proud to be one of the many people who have considered themselves so lucky to be able to call Cameron Indoor home.
People often ask me "What is it about Duke that separates it from the other schools?" Without hesitation, I always answer "The guys who play there." Every player that was mentioned in this poll knows this. And while the names and faces will change, the quality of the person will always remain the same. THAT, ladies and gents, is what you call tradition and it is a tradition that I am proud to be a part of.

Shane Battier 01'

I am speechless. Welcome to DBR, Shane, congratulations, have a GREAT year and don't be a stranger to these parts:D

YmoBeThere
11-11-2007, 03:26 PM
I am speechless. Welcome to DBR, Shane, congratulations, have a GREAT year and don't be a stranger to these parts:D

Me too, since I voted for Grant and Johnny...

Jumbo
11-11-2007, 03:40 PM

Shane Battier 01'

Well, this is just really cool. Glad to have you stop in again after all these years. Hope you can drop by more often!

Lord Ash
11-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Shane Battier 01'

*bows enthusiastically in Shane's direction!*

Thanks for your fantastic contributions to Duke, both as an athlete and more importantly as a student and representative of the U!

micah75
11-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Well, that was a most pleasant surprise. Thankyou for stopping by, Shane. It was great that you were able to see the results of this poll.

JasonEvans
11-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Pardon me for a moment while I just say...

HOLY $@^@&!!!

Thanks for stopping by Daddy!! You da man. Congrats on winning the poll. You certainly are a worthy champion. When I designed this thing, I knew we would be faced with several impossible choices. Picking among our most beloved heroes is never easy.

Make sure you rub it in Grant and Johnny's faces the next time you see them ;)

--Jason "Shane was the favorite to be named the favorite all along" Evans

micah75
11-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Just a thought, but maybe a mod can upgrade his "hoop dreams" status a bit?

Not sure what to, but at least to "Shane Battier" level? In the spirit of giving an "honorary degree." Or maybe "Favorite Dukie Ever." Ahh, just a thought...

And I'm losing my own "Elton Brand" and "Chris Carrawell" status by suggesting this, so please humor me. :cool:

devildeac
11-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Just a thought, but maybe a mod can upgrade his "hoop dreams" status a bit?

Not sure what to, but at least to "Shane Battier" level? In the spirit of giving an "honorary degree." Or maybe "Favorite Dukie Ever." Ahh, just a thought...

And I'm losing my own "Elton Brand" and "Chris Carrawell" status by suggesting this, so please humor me. :cool:

We could have lots of fun with this. We could change his status every day or two from Elton to Chris to JD or JWill or even, Shane. Or automatically 'promote ' him to the (secret) highest posting status on the mods list of All-American/NPOY or even higher to, oh let's say, Jason Evans level:D

Lavabe
11-11-2007, 05:41 PM
We could have lots of fun with this. We could change his status every day or two from Elton to Chris to JD or JWill or even, Shane. Or automatically 'promote ' him to the (secret) highest posting status on the mods list of All-American/NPOY or even higher to, oh let's say, Jason Evans level:D

Umm... Shane should reach President of the United States level in 2016 (and 2020).
Cheers,
Lavabe

OldPhiKap
11-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Shane Battier 01'

Thanks for all you do (and have done) to represent OUR university. We are all extremely proud of you, as well as the others who have put on the Duke uniform.

We are blessed to have a wonderful program with outstanding players and people. Battier. G.Hill. Dawkins. Amaker. JWill. Alarie. Gminski. Ferry. Laettner. Hurley. Boozer. Brand. Deng. etc. etc. etc.

It is impossible to pick a favorite. As a student during the '86 run, every member of that team holds a special place in my heart. Then we had SO many great folks come behind that, and build upon that tradition. It is really mind-blowing.

(Oh, and Shane, sorry about the "chi" crack. All in good fun. I wish all the folks who saw you play had also had the chance to see Dawkins play. Alas, ESPN was just starting and they mainly showed tractor pulls and lumberjack competitions back then. Certainly no 'deuce').

Rock on, Shane. And if you need someone to run your Georgia campaign for POTUS, give me a buzz.

-- OPK

OZZIE4DUKE
11-11-2007, 05:52 PM
As everyone else has said, thanks for everything and welcome to the board, Shane! It is indeed an honor to have you post here. Please do so more often!

ArkieDukie
11-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks to you, Shane, and to all the other former (and current) players who have represented Duke so well. Rest assured that, when you make your run for President, you have at least one vote from the great state of Arkansas!

Also, thanks to Jason for putting all of this together. It is a great tribute to the Duke basketball program that we had so many incredibly difficult choices to make. I didn't become a fanatic until after Johnny's time as a player (just missed it - I started grad school in F'88), so I really enjoyed getting to know all the "old" players through the stories that everyone has told.

hc5duke
11-11-2007, 09:58 PM
and Shane still had time to seal the win for my Rockets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=Al58Ux1cJWpa50BwPk.SPem8vLYF?gid=200711 1130) just a few hours after the post. Thanks!

Charlotte took its last lead with 38.1 seconds remaining on a pair of Felton free throws, but Ming[sic]'s free throws put Houston back on top. Mike James then hit two more free throws with 2.3 seconds left to give the Rockets a three-point lead, and Shane Battier swiped the inbounds pass to seal the win.

tombrady
11-11-2007, 11:29 PM

Shane Battier 01'

Um not to be a total downer...but do any of you know that that is actually him? I mean, i could make a screen name saying CoachK and say that its him...

That "speech" he posted seemed a bit hyperbolic. I'm pretty sure someone posted that as a joke.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Um not to be a total downer...but do any of you know that that is actually him? I mean, i could make a screen name saying CoachK and say that its him...

That "speech" he posted seemed a bit hyperbolic. I'm pretty sure someone posted that as a joke.

I believe that the moderators "vetted" the source to make sure of its authenticity. Right Jason?

dukemomLA
11-12-2007, 03:54 AM
My daughter graduated with Shane, and this is EXACTLY the kind of post which we would expect from Shane. A class act as always, on and off the court............on to the White House. Go Shane!! We love you.

JasonEvans
11-12-2007, 08:49 AM
I believe that the moderators "vetted" the source to make sure of its authenticity. Right Jason?

I cannot discuss it too much but we do believe this poster is Shane. We are not 100% certain but we've seen nothing to lead us to believe otherwise.

--Jason "what I want to know is if there is any way to know for sure that Ozzie really is Ozzie!!" Evans

Exiled_Devil
11-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Umm... Shane should reach President of the United States level in 2016 (and 2020).
Cheers,
Lavabe

My new avatar is the sign that I made for Shane's Carolina Game (sad), and then my wife brought to the ACC tourney and the Final Four.

We got it signed by him a couple of years ago.

Shane is one of the neatest people I have ever met. Although I did get to hang out with GHill once, and I would be torn between choosing to hang out with one or the other. Of course, I'd like that dilemma.

Exiled

devildeac
11-12-2007, 09:18 AM
I cannot discuss it too much but we do believe this poster is Shane. We are not 100% certain but we've seen nothing to lead us to believe otherwise.

--Jason "what I want to know is if there is any way to know for sure that Ozzie really is Ozzie!!" Evans

From most of my unreliable sources, dubious associates, questionable references and unsubstantiated stories and publications from decades of Duke legends, I can say beyond(much of) a shadow of a doubt, that OZZIE is indeed(I think), really OZZIE:D. (Thanks for the invites to the BB game Friday and the FB game on Saturday). One out two ain't bad.

Indoor66
11-12-2007, 09:19 AM
"what I want to know is if there is any way to know for sure that Ozzie really is Ozzie!!"

This is a question I have had for several years. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
11-12-2007, 09:26 AM

I was going to say that several other posters, moderators and board owners can vouch for me, if you catch them off-guard. Thanks to Devildeac for almost doing so :)

Am I Ozzie Osborne? Yes, but not the one you know from music and TV - he spells both names wrong.

Am I one of the Osborne Brothers? Yes, but we are different brothers.

Am I Richard Dryfuss? No, but I've been told several times over the last 25 years that I look like him.

Lavabe
11-12-2007, 12:23 PM
My new avatar is the sign that I made for Shane's Carolina Game (sad), and then my wife brought to the ACC tourney and the Final Four.

We got it signed by him a couple of years ago.

Great sign!

Well, ArkieDukie will take care of Arkansas, we have several folks willing to lead the campaign in Georgia, DA will handle the Pac Northwest, and there's a veritable plethora of folks in NC. Will Captmojo deliver California? Can we get ohio guy to deliver the Buckeye State? As far as I can tell, Shane has a lot of work ahead of him in three states:

Maryland

Kentucky

Arizona

Not sure how the campaign will get started in these locations.
Cheers,
Lavabe

captmojo
11-12-2007, 12:46 PM
It's like choosing between your two kids.:(

I understand completely how you feel. I could not bring myself to vote for anyone throughout the entire process. (not that I believe it to be a bad idea amongst those who did participate) The final poll I think was the toughest. Dawkins did lift the sport to a renewed height. Battier deserves every accolade that has been laid at his door. I hope he will return to post on these boards. His insight to the game would really be nice to absorb.

ArkieDukie
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Great sign!

Well, ArkieDukie will take care of Arkansas, we have several folks willing to lead the campaign in Georgia, DA will handle the Pac Northwest, and there's a veritable plethora of folks in NC. Will Captmojo deliver California? Can we get ohio guy to deliver the Buckeye State? As far as I can tell, Shane has a lot of work ahead of him in three states:

Maryland

Kentucky

Arizona

Cheers,
Lavabe

I think we can cover the key states as follows:

Maryland: Jason Williams
Kentucky: Christian Laettner
Arizona: Mike Dunleavy

All have shown themselves to be capable of victory in various campaigns in these key states. :)

wilson
11-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Great sign!

Maryland

Kentucky

Arizona

Cheers,
Lavabe

He oughta be solid in Michigan too. I'd think folks in Tennessee would like him from his days with the Grizzlies, but if Al Gore can't win TN even though he was born there, it may be tough for Shane too.
And although he's acquitted himself excellently with the Rockets, I think we can all agree that Shane can forget about carrying Texas.;)

Indoor66
11-12-2007, 03:31 PM
And although he's acquitted himself excellently with the Rockets, I think we can all agree that Shane can forget about carrying Texas.;)

And why is that?

juise
11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
And why is that?

Good question. It seems that people have assumed which ticket he'd be on. Did I miss some background information?

wilson
11-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Good question. It seems that people have assumed which ticket he'd be on. Did I miss some background information?

Fair enough. I did indeed assume that he'd be running as a donkey, rather than an elephant. Can't really explain why I did so, and it's probably best that I not try too hard to figure it out/explain it, lest we get this thread moved to the PPB.

juise
11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
I was genuinely curious about whether such things were known. I didn't mean to kill a fun conversation about Shane's campaign. I'd definitely help DA in the Pacific Northwest. :)

Fair enough. I did indeed assume that he'd be running as a donkey, rather than an elephant. Can't really explain why I did so, and it's probably best that I not try too hard to figure it out/explain it, lest we get this thread moved to the PPB.

phaedrus
11-12-2007, 04:11 PM
I'd offer to cover Wisconsin, but I'm afraid things may get a bit dicey after November 27th.

hc5duke
11-12-2007, 05:03 PM

I believe right after their white house visit in 2001, they interviewed Shane and Coach K, and we found out that Coach K leans elephant and Shane leans donkey. Pretty sure about that, but I can't find that article, so here's an unrelated article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jack_mccallum/news/2001/03/05/hotbutton0305/).

I'd cover Texas, but I haven't lived there in 8 years...

DevilAlumna
11-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I was genuinely curious about whether such things were known. I didn't mean to kill a fun conversation about Shane's campaign. I'd definitely help DA in the Pacific Northwest. :)

Red or blue, you could count me reliably as a precinct captain for Shane! :D

Lavabe
11-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Will Captmojo deliver California?

Mojo, if you deliver the Vandenbergh AFB vote, we'll see if dukemomLA can deliver LA.

Now that Washington is covered by juise and DevilAlumna (precinct captain), Shane can take the West. I think that Dunleavy & Singler have Oregon in the bank. Given the Boozer & Langdon hold on Alaska, that leaves only Hawaii up for grabs.

The West will be covered in Duke Blue.

Cheers,
Lavabe

captmojo
11-12-2007, 09:30 PM
I...I...I only have relatives in California. Those felonious rascals can't vote. But, I can get us west central Northern Carolina. Well, Stokes County. OK, Walnut Cove. Maybe, the east side. Hanging Rock. Wait. Nobody lives there. I've gotta get a new plan. Yeah. I vote. I'll vote for Shane.(just as long as doesn't run against Johnny):D