PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with a quarter billion dollars?

UrinalCake
11-14-2019, 06:31 PM
A bit off-topic, but Duke is expected to receive a $261M donation, believed to be the largest in history. Of particular interest is the fact that there are no stipulations on how the money can be spent.

link (www.greensboro.com/tncms/asset/editorial/7ccf9996-6276-5127-821d-16e4972a4115)

So I ask you, my fellow DBR readers, if you were in charge of the university, how would you spend this money? All suggestions are welcome, both serious and otherwise.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-14-2019, 06:32 PM
Re do Wade again...turn it into a smallish domed stadium if possible - where a committment to passing would be rewarded with perfect weather and a crowd of 22,000 would be loud....

Gooch
11-14-2019, 06:34 PM
(My daughter has applied Early Decision this year...)

OldPhiKap
11-14-2019, 06:39 PM
Clearly, time to declare an alumni dividend.

(there is a thread on the OTB about this btw)

SupaDave
11-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Free all the homies in prison and then convert them into homes and shelters for the homeless with free medical care.

cato
11-14-2019, 07:07 PM
(My daughter has applied Early Decision this year...)

I’m a proud Trinity grad, but lowering barriers to incoming and future engineering students sounds like a wonderful idea to me.

And I wouldn’t take the scholarships away if those students moonlighted.

mattman91
11-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Establish an exclusive Duke athletics streaming platform. The boomers that can't figure out streaming services would LOVE this!

UrinalCake
11-14-2019, 08:21 PM
I did a little bit of math, thinking about how the money could be used to help lower tuition costs. Given the published cost of attendance of $78,608 from Duke's website, a $261M endowment that earns 10% would be enough to pay full tuition for 332 students per year. (I have no idea if that 10% return is even reasonable.) Or, if you divided it evenly among the 6,682 undergrads then it would lower tuition by $3,906. I think establishing some sort of scholarship program would be an excellent use of the money, and is a pretty common approach.

My second choice would be to pay whatever amount is required to Google to redirect all searches for anything UNC-related to gthcgth.com.

arnie
11-14-2019, 09:16 PM
The Duke Endowment totals $8.6 billion. They could simply throw it in the bucket for a total of $8.86 billion.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-14-2019, 09:19 PM
I’d build a really tall, beautiful wall around the dump on the hump. And then fill it with the entire world supply of concrete.

Faustus
11-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Monorail.

devildeac
11-14-2019, 09:27 PM
I’d build a really tall, beautiful wall around the dump on the hump. And then fill it with the entire world supply of concrete.

Classic old Duke-NCSU-"u"nc joke. Never gets old.

dukelifer
11-14-2019, 09:38 PM
I did a little bit of math, thinking about how the money could be used to help lower tuition costs. Given the published cost of attendance of $78,608 from Duke's website, a $261M endowment that earns 10% would be enough to pay full tuition for 332 students per year. (I have no idea if that 10% return is even reasonable.) Or, if you divided it evenly among the 6,682 undergrads then it would lower tuition by $3,906. I think establishing some sort of scholarship program would be an excellent use of the money, and is a pretty common approach.

My second choice would be to pay whatever amount is required to Google to redirect all searches for anything UNC-related to gthcgth.com.

Duke budgets for a 5% return on endowments.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-14-2019, 09:42 PM
Guaranteed admission and 50% discount on tuition for all children of DBR posters.

LasVegas
11-14-2019, 09:54 PM
Pay the athletic department as long as they agree to never wear gray uniforms and return to the true duke blue. Wait, am in in the right thread?

bundabergdevil
11-14-2019, 09:55 PM
I'd buy the world a Pepsi just to stick it to Coke.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2019, 10:05 PM
I'd buy the world a Pepsi just to stick it to Coke.

I’d teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony. So I guess we’ve gotta rumble.

sagegrouse
11-14-2019, 10:37 PM
The Duke Endowment totals $8.6 billion. They could simply throw it in the bucket for a total of $8.86 billion.

Yes, and there's more. The $8.5 billion is the value of the Duke UNIVERSITY Endowment. The Duke Endowment (TDE), established by James B. Duke, is a separate entity and is worth $3.6 billion as of the end of 2018. Given market returns in 2019, it is probably worth $3.8-4.0 billion at present. Duke University receives half or more of the grants from TDE, so a sizable portion of this entity should be considered as endowment for Duke University.

Both endowments are under the same money manager, which also handles (so I've heard) the investments of Duke Health.

53n206
11-14-2019, 10:48 PM
Affirmative action for qualified students who have needs. To help America grow and prosper. Qualified means studrnts who have the potential to make a difference. And by that I do not only mean political. Science, engineering, teaching etc. We have enough lawyers and sociologists. (Perhaps too much wine. But so many temptations.)

OldPhiKap
11-15-2019, 02:58 AM
If I had that kind of money, I would buy every ticket to every game at the Dean Dome for a decade. Then, not go.

peteandpete
11-15-2019, 03:36 AM
Am I really going to be the first to suggest a portion should go to solving our play calling woes on the football field? After the monorail, of course.

Duke79UNLV77
11-15-2019, 06:14 AM
Isn’t that about what Uncheat spent on its cheating legal defense fund?

fuse
11-15-2019, 06:34 AM
The DBR crew is a heart warmingly altruistic bunch.

arnie
11-15-2019, 06:42 AM
If I had that kind of money, I would buy every ticket to every game at the Dean Dome for a decade. Then, not go.

The winning answer😀

HereBeforeCoachK
11-15-2019, 07:10 AM
Pay the athletic department as long as they agree to never wear gray uniforms and return to the true duke blue. Wait, am in in the right thread?

...yep, because after last night in Pittsburgh, it's becoming official..."Cheater blue" is now darker than Duke blue......

moonpie23
11-15-2019, 07:41 AM
well, obviously divide it up amongst DBR members pro-rated by number of pitch forks !!!. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

camion
11-15-2019, 07:43 AM
well, obviously divide it up amongst DBR members pro-rated by number of pitch forks !!!. :cool::cool::cool:

Well, fork me. :D

TeacherTom
11-15-2019, 07:45 AM
well, obviously divide it up amongst DBR members pro-rated by number of pitch forks !!!. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I'll have to attempt to poke holes in that proposition with my two forks!

TKG
11-15-2019, 07:51 AM

Oh, so would you join the Rams Club. Better buy a sweater vest.

Devilwin
11-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Buy around 50 rams. Dye them Duke blue and paint "DUKE" in white on their flanks. Turn them loose on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill.

throatybeard
11-15-2019, 08:48 AM
Free all the homies in prison and then convert them into homes and shelters for the homeless with free medical care.

^ This.

Absolutely nothing to do with sports facilities or improving sports.

If we're talking improving Duke specifically, how bout let's get AfAm student percentage above six percent or whatever similar embarrassingly low number it is at the moment, especially for a university in the South. Resources can be dedicated to this.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Why would you want the Dean Dome to look like Wallace Wade?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Why would you want the Dean Dome to look like Wallace Wade?

HAH...one good reason:
The Dean Dome crowd would then do for Cheater hoops -- what Wallace Wade crowds do for Duke football.......

Stray Gator
11-15-2019, 09:29 AM

If you'd entertain a friendly amendment, why not offer those tickets to the most rabid N.C. State fans you can find and provide complimentary bus transportation (with appropriate refreshments on board) to the Dean Dome?

devildeac
11-15-2019, 09:56 AM
I'll have to attempt to poke holes in that proposition with my two forks!

No tine for that kind of silliness.

sagegrouse
11-15-2019, 10:04 AM
^ This.

Absolutely nothing to do with sports facilities or improving sports.

If we're talking improving Duke specifically, how bout let's get AfAm student percentage above six percent or whatever similar embarrassingly low number it is at the moment, especially for a university in the South. Resources can be dedicated to this.

From Data USA:

The enrolled student population at Duke University, both undergraduate and graduate, is 47.9% White, 14.4% Asian, 7.09% Black or African American, 5.71% Hispanic or Latino, 2.52% Two or More Races, 0.534% American Indian or Alaska Native, and 0.0636% Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islanders.

devildeac
11-15-2019, 10:09 AM
From Data USA:

Is Data USA run by a "u"nc math major? I've added those numbers up three times and am still left wondering what ethnicity the other 21% are?:eek:.

OldPhiKap
11-15-2019, 10:51 AM
If you'd entertain a friendly amendment, why not offer those tickets to the most rabid N.C. State fans you can find and provide complimentary bus transportation (with appropriate refreshments on board) to the Dean Dome?

Good idea to randomly throw this in. The Heels will never know what crowd, IF ANY, they will have.

Duke fans for Duke games, of course.

But often, just silence. Which is not much different than now really, now that I think of it.

budwom
11-15-2019, 11:06 AM
or we can go to Duke itself, Fall 2018 student profile: (undergrads)
https://facts.duke.edu/

looks like 44% white, 21% Asian American, 10% AFAM, 9% Hispanic, 9% foreign, 5% other....i assume rounding, or ghosts, account for the other 2%

sagegrouse
11-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Is Data USA run by a "u"nc math major? I've added those numbers up three times and am still left wondering what ethnicity the other 21% are?:eek:.

Here's another source which is better and well suited to DBR -- a pie chart (https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/duke-university/student-life/diversity/#secEthnic).

Duke is ranked #9 nationwide in diversity -- very, very good -- although I can't verify the web site and methodology.

Leaving out 10.4 percent of "non-resident aliens,"

45.7% White
21.3% Asian
9.7% Black or African
8.2% Hispanic/Latino

The rest (4.7%) are other or unknown.

AZLA
11-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Clearly, time to declare an alumni dividend.

(there is a thread on the OTB about this btw)

Is there a hedge fund we can buy into -- which can pay out (a) tuition assistance for undergrads and (b) % return for investors as well?

AZLA
11-15-2019, 11:58 AM
Am I really going to be the first to suggest a portion should go to solving our play calling woes on the football field? After the monorail, of course.

Monorail to East West campus and sporting venues and the airport -- then a bridge to nowhere in the direction of Chapel Hill.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Here's another source which is better and well suited to DBR -- a pie chart (https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/duke-university/student-life/diversity/#secEthnic).

Duke is ranked #9 nationwide in diversity -- very, very good -- although I can't verify the web site and methodology.

45.7% White
21.3% Asian
9.7% Black or African
8.2% Hispanic/Latino

Just for comparison, in the 2010 census, the US population was:

White 72.4%
Hispanic and Latino Americans (of any race) 16.3%
Black or African American 12.6%
Asian 4.8%
Native Americans and Alaska Natives 0.9%
Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders 0.2%
Two or more races 2.9%
Other 6.2%

HereBeforeCoachK
11-15-2019, 12:18 PM

45.7% White
21.3% Asian
9.7% Black or African
8.2% Hispanic/Latino

Question for the forum: do you think the increasing international make up is one thing hurting student attendance, even in Cameron?
Not saying it is or isn't, and not saying it's a problem if it is, just wondering what others think.

cspan37421
11-15-2019, 12:27 PM
how would you spend this money?

For starters,

I'd build a tree fort in our yard
you could help, it wouldn't be that hard ...

I'd buy you some art (a Picasso or a Garfunkel)

I'd buy you a monkey* (haven't you always wanted a monkey?)

[*named Reginald, and he'd have the Vikes by 2.
Just don't give him too much Johnnie Walker Blue,
... because all the Littles know what he might do]

Thanks for the ideas, Ed and Steven ... and Robert.

duke79
11-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Duke budgets for a 5% return on endowments.

It's not so much a 5% "return" that Duke budgets for but rather Duke (and most other colleges, universities and other non-profits that have endowments) target a certain annual "withdrawal" rate (usually in the range of 4 to 5% per year) from their endowment. The goal, therefore, for the people who manage the endowment is to try to have average investment gains over time that will exceed this withdrawal rate, so that the endowment will continue to grow, even after the annual withdrawals (and not including new contributions to the endowment). Many institutions will also use some type of rolling average (over 3 or 4 years) to even out (somewhat) the ups and downs in the value of the endowment on a year to year basis. If Duke has an approximate endowment of $9 billion and it uses a 5% withdrawal rate, then it would be taking roughly $450 million out of the endowment (each year) and then transfer that over to the operating budget of the university to help pay for scholarships, faculty salaries, athletic budgets, and other operating expenses. I believe Duke has an operating budget in the range of $3.8 billion per year (not including the medical center), so the withdrawals from the endowment fund about 12% of the annual operating budget.

arnie
11-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Question for the forum: do you think the increasing international make up is one thing hurting student attendance, even in Cameron?
Not saying it is or isn't, and not saying it's a problem if it is, just wondering what others think.

I’m sure it has an impact as I’d think students that didn’t grow up around football or basketball wouldn’t have the same interest level. Put me in college in England or India and I doubt I go to cricket matches.

kexman
11-15-2019, 07:59 PM
There are endless possibilities to spend the money:

1) Endow a neuroscience institute to fund research on Neurologic Disease. Huge unmet need for society.

2) Undergrad financial aid (although the poor are being targeted there is a donut hole for middle class students or maybe more precisely upper middle class students).

3) More exotic: A medical/engineering/basic research fund to promote collaboration between triangle schools. Grants must be submitted by multiple investigators with one being from Duke and one being from either UNC or NC State. I know the sharing of wealth with the enemy may be frowned upon on this page, but it would encourage scientific collaborations between the schools that would leverage the strength of the triangle area.

4) Free Medical School. Not my favorite idea, but NYU is now free. Wash U announced full rides for 50% of their students this year. It will be an arms race to have free med school. If we want the top students we will probably need to move in that direction.

5) Venture Capital fund to promote Duke discoveries into companies and hopefully future revenue for Duke from both the venture capital and patent rights.

6) More fully fund the alumni office in order to fund more alumni events around the country. Over time this might come back through the development office in increased donations.

Sadly it is really easy to spend 250 million dollars. Particularly if you will only take 12 million a year from an endowment at 5%

Tooold
11-15-2019, 10:27 PM
There are endless possibilities to spend the money:

2) Undergrad financial aid (although the poor are being targeted there is a donut hole for middle class students or maybe more precisely upper middle class students).

5) Venture Capital fund to promote Duke discoveries into companies and hopefully future revenue for Duke from both the venture capital and patent rights.

Sadly it is really easy to spend 250 million dollars. Particularly if you will only take 12 million a year from an endowment at 5%

A few comments on these (and other previous comments).
*As I understand it, Duke withdraws 4% per year from the endowment. Fortunately, the fund managers have made more than that most years (except during financial crisis)
*Part of this gift will go into financial aid endowment, which has been a major initiative for Duke for over a decade. These funds will be available for scholarships (hopefully as matching funds) for both Trinity and Pratt students. Duke admissions are need-blind.
*Some of this gift will be directed to Pratt for important initiatives (TBD), including as supporting funds for the new building (until a lead gift is received).
*there are “venture” type funds at Duke right now (such as the Duke Angel Network) that allow interested parties to invest in Duke entrepreneurial efforts.

This is a very exciting gift for Duke. And it is the culmination of the generous legacy of the Thomas Lord Foundation, which has been generously awarding significant grants to the school of engineering since the 80s.

BandAlum83
11-16-2019, 01:01 AM
I know I wouldn’t give it to a private university with BILLIONS in endowment. I would look for something much more meaningful and impactful on social justice.

budwom
11-16-2019, 08:08 AM
you can still name the helmet cubbyholes after yourself at the women's softball field for $5,000, so that's a solid start.

camion
11-16-2019, 09:36 AM
I would endow ACC volleyball with it's tv own channel.

Can anyone guess why? :)

Faison1
11-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Monorail.

That's more of a Shelbyville idea.

cspan37421
11-16-2019, 11:11 AM
That's more of a Shelbyville idea.

Just tell us your idea and we'll vote for it!

Especially if by Shelbyville you mean Detroit, and if by Monorail you mean the People Mover.

Apologies to Weezie! :D

Faison1
11-16-2019, 12:28 PM
Just tell us your idea and we'll vote for it!

Especially if by Shelbyville you mean Detroit, and if by Monorail you mean the People Mover.

Maybe Flint should consider a Monorail...after all, it put Ogdenville and North Haverbrook on the map!!

bundabergdevil
11-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Maybe Flint should consider a Monorail...after all, it put Ogdenville and North Haverbrook on the map!!

What’s it called?

hudlow
11-16-2019, 12:49 PM
I'd buy a cheap politician.

;)

BD80
11-16-2019, 04:58 PM

Would that be a meaningful distinction in the noise level at a typical game?

Buy around 50 rams. Dye them Duke blue and paint "DUKE" in white on their flanks. Turn them loose on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill.

And that night would be forever remembered by chapel hill fraternities as "the best night EVER!" (wink, wink).

Undecided?

So, as I understand it, what would I do with ANOTHER quarter billion dollars …

I would negotiate the donation that would yield me a dozen or so tickets behind the bench for ALL the "good" games, the necessary number of suites at the Washington Duke Inn (including the hospitality suite) for my group for each game, and the team jet to pick us up and return us.

I would also get pricing on the cost of hacking the video display at the Dean Dome. Just idle curiosity.

The rest I would spend frivolously …

YmoBeThere
11-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Apparently not...

BD80
11-16-2019, 06:23 PM

Apparently not...

Some might hazard a guess about endowed volleyball players.

I wouldn't ...

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 08:30 PM
Hire an Offensive Coordinator! :cool:

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 08:33 PM

Bob is on fire today! Can't spork, but this is a POTY candidate!

devildeac
11-16-2019, 11:08 PM

Bob is on fire today! Can't spork, but this is a POTY candidate!

Wow! i can't imagine what Bob would be like if the weather forecast had been more favorable and he had driven down to the game. :eek: