PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Rituals?

pamtar
11-06-2007, 08:54 AM
This post probably makes the rounds yearly. However, with Christmas starting this Friday I was wondering if everyone else had a "tooth brushing between halfs" type of routine they would like to share?

Mine is pretty simple, but I never miss a beat. I call my mom and grandmother in the morning to give them the proverbial GO DUKE about three times followed by an abrupt hang-up. Then its right foot first into the Duke boxers, followed by my 15 year-old hat as I walk out the door. By game time I always have a five-pack of Pabst BLUE Ribbon in the fridge and the sixth in my hand.

dukestheheat
11-06-2007, 03:12 PM
pamtar,

i hope this doesn't 'harbinge' but my housekeeper LOST MY FAVORITE Duke cat-in-the-hat hat that I'd wear (always) as my pre-game ritual. i'd cut the grass in the thing or take a nap or do whatever, to get ready.

i sent her and my son to duke/indiana last year at cameron and she wanted the hat to wear to the game and inexplicably, the chick LOST it and she never replaced it.

i have quietly cried for almost one year now.

dth.

DBFAN
11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
I can not go out in public and watch a game, I have to be in the privacy of my own house with my family. I have never been to Cameron, but I have been to a couple of Games at Wake, and NCAA tournament games, but I still feel most comfortable in my own house. It probably has to do with dealing with all of the Carowhina fans at bars and stuff. Two years ago my wife and my friend took me out for a few drinks for my birthday, which was the same day we played Maryland and lost at Cameron. Some lady had asked me earlier who I was pulling for I said Duke, and at the end of the game she was yelling at me telling me how we F@#$ing deserved it. So I decided from then on out I would not go out in public to watch any more games. I mean I hate UNC, but I would never get in a UNC fans face and curse at them after their team had just lost. They are a strange group of people.

elvis14
11-06-2007, 04:05 PM
pamtar,

i hope this doesn't 'harbinge' but my housekeeper LOST MY FAVORITE Duke cat-in-the-hat hat that I'd wear (always) as my pre-game ritual. i'd cut the grass in the thing or take a nap or do whatever, to get ready.

i sent her and my son to duke/indiana last year at cameron and she wanted the hat to wear to the game and inexplicably, the chick LOST it and she never replaced it.

i have quietly cried for almost one year now.

dth.

Well, I think that explains why we lost in the first round of the tourney last year! For the sake of the team, please replace that hat!

Lord Ash
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Well, up until this year yes; I always wore my varsity ring during games. It would get a kiss just before tip off, and then a fist pound with my best friend who I went to school with and who I've watched games with for years. This year however he has moved, so I think I am just down to the ring.

I will admit, the ring got tossed rather violently into the bookshelf at the conclusion of last year; it will be different putting it back on this year after such a disappointing end last year and without my usual game-watching buddy.