PDA

View Full Version : MBB 2019-20 Starters

JasonEvans
11-13-2019, 02:26 PM
From the MOTM thread --
Someone's gotta come off the bench...

I don't know what the record is for different starting lineups under K but I won't be at all surprised if we set it this season.

3 games in and we have had 3 different starting lineups. Here is who has started:

Tre - 3
Carey - 3
Cassius - 3
Hurt - 2
AOC - 2
White - 1
JGold - 1

But more significantly, as an indication of how many potential starters we have, here is the minute distribution thus far (skewed a bit by Tre missing much of game #3 due to being concussion cautious):

Tre - 26.3 mpg
Cassius - 26.3
AOC - 22.3
Hurt - 22.3
Carey - 20.0
Moore - 17.3
White - 17.0
Javin - 15.7
JGold - 15.3
Baker - 10.0

Note: JRob is averaging 8.5mpg but has only played in 2 games and I am unsure if he will see time in more competitive contests.

I don't have much more to say beyond looking at these numbers, but I marvel at them a bit. This is just not what we are at all used to seeing from Duke. If this was FSU then this kind of minute distribution would not be surprising, but this is Duke.

-Jason "much like 2 years ago when K shocked us by going zone and it worked really well for that team, K continually shows he is willing to adapt his game plan to fit our personnel. That is a lot of what makes him the GOAT" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
11-13-2019, 02:40 PM
From the MOTM thread --

I don't know what the record is for different starting lineups under K but I won't be at all surprised if we set it this season.

3 games in and we have had 3 different starting lineups. Here is who has started:

Tre - 3
Carey - 3
Cassius - 3
Hurt - 2
AOC - 2
White - 1
JGold - 1

But more significantly, as an indication of how many potential starters we have, here is the minute distribution thus far (skewed a bit by Tre missing much of game #3 due to being concussion cautious):

Tre - 26.3 mpg
Cassius - 26.3
AOC - 22.3
Hurt - 22.3
Carey - 20.0
Moore - 17.3
White - 17.0
Javin - 15.7
JGold - 15.3
Baker - 10.0

Note: JRob is averaging 8.5mpg but has only played in 2 games and I am unsure if he will see time in more competitive contests.

I don't have much more to say beyond looking at these numbers, but I marvel at them a bit. This is just not what we are at all used to seeing from Duke. If this was FSU then this kind of minute distribution would not be surprising, but this is Duke.

-Jason "much like 2 years ago when K shocked us by going zone and it worked really well for that team, K continually shows he is willing to adapt his game plan to fit our personnel. That is a lot of what makes him the GOAT" Evans

I want to believe yesterday's starting line-up has to teach Hurt a lesson moreso than play the best 5. Hurt first that team well: 3pt shooter, spread the floor, solid defense, good IQ. White is a good role player, but this team's potential is limited if he's playing starter minutes (and I get the whole 'it doesn't matter if you start, it matters if you finish' mantra and cliches like that).

I fully expect Hurt to start the vast majority of games moving forward. The game will slow down for him.

scottdude8
11-13-2019, 03:05 PM
FWIW, Baker also didn't play in the game against Kansas, like JRob. For whatever reason the official scorekeeper during the Kansas game made multiple errors (The Chronicle wrote a pretty good tongue in cheek piece about it) (https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/11/duke-basketball-joey-baker-box-score).

I imagine we could see two more starting lineup combos if Moore continues playing well and earns a spot (relegating either AOC or Stanley to the bench). I imagine Javin will also start at some point to send a message to either of our frontcourt guys, so there's another lineup or two. So yes, we're more likely than not to see some more different starting lineup combos going forward.

That said, I think what's going to be more important to the success of this team, especially given the level MPG trend we've seen, is who finishes the game, not who starts it. I think that might become more stable as the season moves on, even if the starting lineups oscillate. Once ACC season starts I'd love to see an analysis of who is playing the most minutes during the last 10 minutes of each competitive game.

Regardless, Coach K is certainly showing all of the nay-sayers who said there'd be no way we'd have more than a 7 man rotation, at least so far.

Bob Green
11-13-2019, 03:30 PM
I’m going to comment from a different perspective - who will be the 6th Man? I like the first player off the bench to be a scorer, someone who comes in and gives the offense a boost.

Matthew Hurt and Alex O’Connell stand out to me as the leading contenders. Wendell Moore could certainly work his way into the conversation.

A 6th Man who understands his role and understands he really is a starter everywhere except the box score is an invaluable asset.

Edouble
11-13-2019, 03:34 PM
I’m going to comment from a different perspective - who will be the 6th Man? I like the first player off the bench to be a scorer, someone who comes in and gives the offense a boost.

Matthew Hurt and Alex O’Connell stand out to me as the leading contenders. Wendell Moore could certainly work his way into the conversation.

A 6th Man who understands his role and understands he really is a starter everywhere except the box score is an invaluable asset.

Moore seems to have that same quality that Dunleavy or Cwell had, in that he can come in for multiple positions, depending on need. I do like Moore as the 6th man.

Nrrrrvous
11-13-2019, 04:22 PM

IMO (where Sage stole the H), if I'm reading K correctly, he doesn't want "a" 6th man. He wants the starting 5 to be going so hard on D that they are out of breath by the first TV timeout. Then he comes in with Jordan, Jack, Javin and Wendell (or whoever) to go another 4 minutes as hard as they possibly can. The only person, I'm guessing, he wouldn't pull that quick would be Tre?

I mean, think about what a nightmare that could be for the opposing team. You finally catch a break seeing Cassius leave the game and here comes Wendell to hound you for another 4 minutes!

I'm a little leery about our O this year but I'm just as excited about how menacing our D could be...

budwom
11-13-2019, 05:10 PM
It's nice if your sixth man is a guy who can come in and hit some shots...not sure that's Wendell's forte at the moment, but he'll play anyway, of course.
Would be nice if Baker developed into a reliable outside shooter who could provide some instant offense.

Troublemaker
11-13-2019, 05:52 PM

It does feel like something unprecedented is happening, and while I'm too lazy to check myself (and would really only check if I could query some database), I am wondering just *how* unprecedented this season's rotation (so far) is in the Coach K era. For example, were the bench minutes against Kansas the most ever for Coach K in a competitive game (maybe define that as final margin < 8 or so)? Through 3 games in a season, has Coach K ever played more bench minutes?

There are probably better or more precise questions than what I've asked above, but you get the idea.

CDu
11-14-2019, 12:12 AM
It does feel like something unprecedented is happening, and while I'm too lazy to check myself (and would really only check if I could query some database), I am wondering just *how* unprecedented this season's rotation (so far) is in the Coach K era. For example, were the bench minutes against Kansas the most ever for Coach K in a competitive game (maybe define that as final margin < 8 or so)? Through 3 games in a season, has Coach K ever played more bench minutes?

There are probably better or more precise questions than what I've asked above, but you get the idea.

Yeah, I am hesitant to make any strong statements yet considering we have really just had one competitive game thus far. Yes, we played fully 9 deep that game. Will that continue? That remains to be seen.

I am, however, quite comfortable saying we will play at least 8 deep. The frontcourt sort of mandates a 4-man rotation, and there will be at least one wing off the bench. So I guess it comes down to whether both of O’Connell and Goldwire stay in the rotation or if one of them gets squeezed out. I don’t think that Baker will be in it, and I am quite sure Robinson won’t (both barring injuries of course).

lotusland
11-14-2019, 06:02 AM
I want to believe yesterday's starting line-up has to teach Hurt a lesson moreso than play the best 5. Hurt first that team well: 3pt shooter, spread the floor, solid defense, good IQ. White is a good role player, but this team's potential is limited if he's playing starter minutes (and I get the whole 'it doesn't matter if you start, it matters if you finish' mantra and cliches like that).

I fully expect Hurt to start the vast majority of games moving forward. The game will slow down for him.

Vernon and Hurt are both talented enough to start especially on offense. Jav and Jack are better defenders but more limited scorers. All 4 guys are going to play but we may not see Carey and Hurt playing together much. Idk if it’s a matter of who the best 5 are this year as much as the best lineups. If that holds true then Hurt will play more when Carey Struggles or gets in foul trouble and vice versa.

camion
11-14-2019, 08:13 AM
A couple of semi-related thoughts:

Should we also have a "Finishers" thread or can that be included here?

I expect that we won't be a good shooting team this year precisely because we are expending so much effort on defense. Good shooting depends on precision and effort is the enemy of precision. I will quickly note that scoring and shooting are not the same thing. Good defense can lead to more scoring due to easier shots.

weezie
11-14-2019, 08:38 AM
...we may not see Carey and Hurt playing together much...

With the greatest respect for my much admired friend lotus, I disagree. I think K is watching the chemistry develop. When crunch time looms it'll be all hands on deck and find these two players inside.

I was struck by the question Bilas posed during his interview with K, something about 'What's the one thing you have to instill in each team every year?'

And the answer was, paraphrasing, 'Believe me right away' Not 'Believe IN me' but 'Believe Me' which then translates into believe in each other the way he trusts them.

Year after year, this is what we've all seen.

sagegrouse
11-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Different year: We have five returning players who contributed last year and have probably improved. In addition to Tre,

Jack White will get his minutes -- he has an unmatched nose for the ball both on defense and in rebounding.
Javin has hops and also runs very well for a big man. Surely there is no question that he's a finisher around the basket.
Alex O'Connell appears to have improved more than any returning player -- very quick and with a nice shooting touch. His minutes may decrease, but it looks to me like he will play.
Jordan Goldwire has the trust of Coach K for his defense and point guard abilities. Yeah, maybe if Wendell Moore comes along his minutes, but he has valuable attributes -- not the least, giving Tre some rest.

The freshmen also deserve to play and, in a certain sense, must play.

Vernon Carey is our muscle and has shooting touch. I expect improvement as he adjusts to playing other big players, but he is one of only two "big men" on the roster.
Cassius Stanley, to me, likes like an NBA player in his moves, touch and athleticism.
Matthew Hurt. You want scoring? He can light it up. I think he has good basketball skills.
Wendell Moore is coming along more slowly than the other freshmen but has a handle and the strength and athleticism to make him an unusual talent for a freshman. He will be given lots of opportunities to play, maybe cutting into AOC and Jordan minutes.

Leading us to Joey Baker. Boy, am I pulling for this kid. He is obviously not as far along as Matthew Hurt, but I am hoping he can contribute shooting to the team. School's still out on this. K will also look for minutes for Justin Robinson -- if he starts nailing threes they will happen

I am pretty certain we will get meaningful minutes from the first nine players listed. That makes nine. The more we press and play intense defense, of course, the more players we will need to use as we wear down the opponents.

CajunDevil
11-14-2019, 10:11 AM
I see this year's team as follows. Of course, there will be changes, injuries, freshmen walls, and/or the game just 'clicking' for some (Hurt, Moore):

Locks to start/finish:

Tre
Cassius - unless he hits a wall
Carey - unless he hits a wall

Most likely to start and finish:

AOC - shooting prowess and quick-twitch puts him in front of Moore imo
Jack - Jack's D, rebounding, shot-blocking is what this five needs at this point

First off the bench: (all three at the same time at beginning of the game, then spot subs as game goes on)

Moore - can sub for multiple positions (someone mentioned CWell comparison which I think is good... prob a more fluid, junior version of CWell)
Hurt - excellent shooter, very good scorer and basketball IQ - could (probably will) start/finish, exchanging roles with Jack as the season goes on)
Javin - energy, defense/rebounding, occasional bucket

Spot-subs:

Goldwire - for Tre (or with Tre to press)
Baker - If we need shooting

That's 10 guys with meaningful time... two to three more than K usually plays. Fingers crossed this 'rotation' continues.

JasonEvans
11-14-2019, 11:27 AM
Should we also have a "Finishers" thread or can that be included here?

I think finishers makes sense in this thread too, for sure.

My initial comment on that topic is that with a deep team we may see K finishing close games based on who has been playing well earlier in the game. Other than Tre, clearly our MVP, everyone else on the team has a counterpart who could -- on any given day -- be outplaying him. To me, that makes is very hard to say who the finishers will be.

Neals384
11-14-2019, 11:45 AM
FWIW, Baker also didn't play in the game against Kansas, like JRob. For whatever reason the official scorekeeper during the Kansas game made multiple errors (The Chronicle wrote a pretty good tongue in cheek piece about it) (https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/11/duke-basketball-joey-baker-box-score).

I imagine we could see two more starting lineup combos if Moore continues playing well and earns a spot (relegating either AOC or Stanley to the bench). I imagine Javin will also start at some point to send a message to either of our frontcourt guys, so there's another lineup or two. So yes, we're more likely than not to see some more different starting lineup combos going forward.

That said, I think what's going to be more important to the success of this team, especially given the level MPG trend we've seen, is who finishes the game, not who starts it. I think that might become more stable as the season moves on, even if the starting lineups oscillate. Once ACC season starts I'd love to see an analysis of who is playing the most minutes during the last 10 minutes of each competitive game.

Regardless, Coach K is certainly showing all of the nay-sayers who said there'd be no way we'd have more than a 7 man rotation, at least so far.

I smell a pie in my future if someone thinks Moore will start in place of Stanley.

AGDukesky
11-14-2019, 12:35 PM
I think finishers makes sense in this thread too, for sure.

My initial comment on that topic is that with a deep team we may see K finishing close games based on who has been playing well earlier in the game. Other than Tre, clearly our MVP, everyone else on the team has a counterpart who could -- on any given day -- be outplaying him. To me, that makes is very hard to say who the finishers will be.

I suggest we use the term “Closers” and identify players by the number of cups of coffee they earn...

devildeac
11-14-2019, 12:44 PM
I suggest we use the term “Closers” and identify players by the number of cups of coffee they earn...

Or:

kAzE
11-14-2019, 12:51 PM
I kind of liked what Coach K tried to do last game, starting Jack White. The problem with our big men is that none of them are two way players. Carey and Hurt are strong offensively, but are below average on defense. White and DeLaurier are both excellent on defense, but are liabilities on offense, although Jack has been hitting some open threes thus far. Therefore, by playing White with Carey in the starting 5 (but still playing White only 18 minutes, compared to Hurt's 22), it allows the team to have one offensive big and 1 defensive big on the floor more often, which makes more sense than going all offense or all defense.

And at this point, I am in on Jack getting more minutes than Javin. Javin is a great option to defending opposing bigs because of his quickness and size, but Jack has the versatility to basically switch any defensive matchup, with his ability to defend on the perimeter. So far, his shot looks okay, so while he's basically limited to being a spot up shooter on offense, he is spacing the floor with his shooting, which is ideal when you have a dominant post scorer like Carey.

House P
11-15-2019, 10:06 AM

############

WARNING: This following post contains lots of "minutes minutiae" in an attempt to provide historical context regarding Duke's depth so far this season. If you hate this type of discussion, it is probably best to skip this post.

############

I have a spreadsheet with game-by-game minutes played. Unfortunately, it doesn't include starters vs bench players so I can't answer you questions directly. Even if I could, I suspect that there would be a handful of games where the official bench minutes were unusually high because a starter got injured early in the game or Coach K chose to have one or more of his top players come off the bench for one reason (Senior night) or another (send a "message").

One example is the famous "Patrick Davidson game" vs Wake in 2005 where Coach K decided to shake things up by starting Patrick Davidson, Patrick Johnson, and Reggie Love. In that game, the "bench" (Daniel Ewing, Demarcus Nelson, Sean Dockery, Shavlik Randolph, and Lee Melchioni) combined for 100 minutes. Another example would be last season's Wake game where Duke got 69 bench minutes (the same as this year's KU game), not necessarily because Coach K had a particularly deep rotation, but because Vrank started and only played 3 minutes.

That being said, I can attempt to address the spirit of your questions based, not on "starters vs bench", but based on the "top 5" vs "non-top 5" players in a particular game. For this approach, I define the "top 5" as the five players who played the most minutes in a particular game (regardless of whether they started) and the "non-top 5" as everyone else.

The short answer, is that Duke's depth so far this year appears to be unusual, if not necessarily unprecedented.

were the bench minutes against Kansas the most ever for Coach K in a competitive game (maybe define that as final margin < 8 or so)?

Against KU, Duke got 58 minutes from the "non-top 5". As far as I can tell, this is the 20th most minutes that "non-top 5" guys have played in the 465 games decided by 8 points or less since Coach K arrived. The "close" game with the most minutes going to players outside the top 5 was a 2008 ACC tournament game vs Clemson, where the "non-top 5" combined for 74 minutes.

Since Coach K arrived, Duke's "non-top 5" have averaged 38.6 min in games decided by 8 points or less.

Through 3 games in a season, has Coach K ever played more bench minutes?

So far this season, "non-top 5" players have combined for 226 total minutes (75.3 per game). This ties the 2008-09 team for the 4th most of any season through 3 games (the 2010-11 team averaged 76.7 mpg, the 2007-08 team averaged 79.7 mpg, and the 1987-88 team averaged 80.3 mpg to players outside the top 5). However, this may be a bit misleading because the none of the teams that rank ahead of this year's Duke team had any of their early games decided by fewer than 22 points.

wsb3
11-15-2019, 10:21 AM

Great post Bob. (Must spread comments, blah blah) :)

jipops
11-15-2019, 12:35 PM

If Jack and the rest of the staff and team ever fully understand that his strength is not in putting the ball on the floor, then I say Jack White. Shooting struggles aside, if he is spotting up on the catch he's a good outside shooter. Defensively he is very solid and on the boards he is terrific for his size. I think these attributes belie the consummate role player. I think the leading contenders are White and Javin. AOC looks much more comfortable out there and is probably our best shooter outside of Hurt. I see him getting a number of starting nods throughout the season. I can also see there being games where Carey picks up early fouls and Javin has to come in sooner than later with extended burn. Javin has developed little to no offensive skill while at Duke but helps a great deal with the pressure D and can rebound. I think Moore is going to have some up and down struggles this season. He has very good potential as a player but getting the vibe that K is going to have a hard time trusting him in the meat of the season. Hurt should be a starter for most of the season, I don't see him being a bench guy at all. He is just too skilled.

majority game starters/finishers:
Tre
Cassius
AOC
Hurt
Carey

competing for 6th man:
White
Javin

1st half off the bench players with little to no time in the 2nd half:
Goldwire
Moore

So I can see us technically having a 9 man rotation. But I totally see K going with 7 guys exclusively in the 2nd halves of ACC games.

scottdude8
11-15-2019, 12:46 PM

This is spot on, and something that I think most would agree recent Duke teams have been missing (not that we haven't had good players off the bench, just not one that really fills the "sixth man" role in the classic sense). I think the closest may have been Amile when he was coming off the bench down the stretch in 2015 after Justice shifted over to the 4.

I think a true sixth man can fill one of two roles: either an instant offense guy off the bench (Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson typified this role for the Bad Boys era Pistons), or a guy who comes in as a defensive stopper. Considering the strength of this team is defense, at it seems like we can roll out a variety of lineups while preserving our defensive integrity, I think K may want an "instant offense" sixth man, as many have speculated.

It will be interesting to see how this develops with the varying starting lineups we've rolled out thus far this season. If K wants to go small/defense early and starts Jack over Matt, then Hurt becomes a great instant offense sixth man. If K wants to go big/athletic on the outside and starts Cassius and Wendell, then AOC shifts to this role. It wouldn't surprise me if if our go-to starting lineup down the stretch this season is influenced just as much by who plays best off the bench than who K wants in the starting lineup.

JasonEvans
11-22-2019, 01:28 PM

Tre - 3
Carey - 3
Cassius - 3
Hurt - 2
AOC - 2
White - 1
JGold - 1

Tre - 26.3 mpg
Cassius - 26.3
AOC - 22.3
Hurt - 22.3
Carey - 20.0
Moore - 17.3
White - 17.0
Javin - 15.7
JGold - 15.3
Baker - 10.0

Just thought I would update things...

Kansas - Tre, JGold, Cassius, Hurt, Carey (1)
Co State - Tre, AOC, Cassius, Hurt, Carey (1)
Cen. Ark - Tre, AOC, Cassius, White, Carey (1)
Ga State - Tre, AOC, Cassius, Hurt, Carey (2)
California - Tre, Wendell, Cassius, Hurt, Carey (1)

So, we have now used 4 different starting lineups in 5 games. In terms of who has started:

Tre - 5
Carey - 5
Cassius - 5
Hurt - 4
AOC - 3
White - 1
JGold - 1
Wendell - 1

And in minutes per game, here is how it looks:

Tre - 29.6 mpg
Cassius - 26.4
Carey - 23.2
Hurt - 22.2
AOC - 19.0
Moore - 17.6
White - 17.0
Baker - 14.8
Javin - 14.2
JGold - 13.6

-Jason "I know it is still very early in the season, but 10 guys solidly averaging double-digit minutes... who kidnapped Coach K and replaced him with a bench-using clone?" Evans

Devilwin
11-22-2019, 04:31 PM
I would start:
Carey
Jones
Stanley
Moore
Hurt
White first off the bench.

Kedsy
11-22-2019, 04:39 PM
I would start:
Carey
Jones
Stanley
Moore
Hurt
White first off the bench.

You mean, exactly what we did yesterday?

Adaephon
11-22-2019, 06:57 PM
You mean, exactly what we did yesterday?

Yes it seems like he thinks that is the way to go. I don't think he was attempting to propose a wild new idea but merely state that he likes that lineup.

lotusland
11-22-2019, 10:57 PM
Jack played 33 minutes tonight and suspect he played all of the final 10 minutes. It helps that we were protecting a lead vs playing catch-up but it feels like Jack is going to be in the top
5 MPG for Duke this year. That combined with how well Carey is playing may squeeze Hurt’s minutes - only 5 tonight- in close games.

kAzE
11-23-2019, 03:39 AM
Jack played 33 minutes tonight and suspect he played all of the final 10 minutes. It helps that we were protecting a lead vs playing catch-up but it feels like Jack is going to be in the top
5 MPG for Duke this year. That combined with how well Carey is playing may squeeze Hurt’s minutes - only 5 tonight- in close games.

5 minutes for Matthew Hurt? Hmm . . . that's a bit concerning. I'm all about Jack White, but if this team is going to get to the promised land, we need Hurt to live up to his reputation. Fortunately, we have two tune up games coming up before Michigan St.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-23-2019, 07:19 AM

For all the criticism of Dakich as an announcer, and over the years I've not liked him at all....last night every time Jack did some little winning play thing - that many announcers would not notice, Dakich noted it. He's a fan of White.

jv001
11-23-2019, 01:53 PM
For all the criticism of Dakich as an announcer, and over the years I've not liked him at all...last night every time Jack did some little winning play thing - that many announcers would not notice, Dakich noted it. He's a fan of White.

And he loves Wendell. If I'm not mistaken, he said Moore would be the best player for Duke by years end. Dakich seems to be a much better announcer than he was last season. Maybe the bosses told him to tone it down a little. GoDuke!

cato
11-23-2019, 02:35 PM
And he loves Wendell. If I'm not mistaken, he said Moore would be the best player for Duke by years end. Dakich seems to be a much better announcer than he was last season. Maybe the bosses told him to tone it down a little. GoDuke!

If he could just avoid getting hung up on how the refs are calling the game, he would be decent.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-23-2019, 02:42 PM

Yes, he loves Wendell for sure...my point on White is that Dakich noticed a lot about a pure role player who does the little things....little more expected for an announcer to notice the players who do the big things.

jipops
11-23-2019, 02:44 PM
I’ve been very wrong about Moore so far. He’s been an excellent utility guy while also providing some offense.

Hurt has really been struggling lately. Don’t think that will last. I wonder if K will go small the next couple games and start Jack and Wendell at both forward spots bringing Hurt in first.

Edouble
11-23-2019, 07:32 PM
I wonder if K will go small the next couple games and start Jack and Wendell at both forward spots bringing Hurt in first.

Moore at the 3 and White at the 4 is small? That just seems regular.