PDA

View Full Version : FB: Syracuse @ Duke - 4 pm - ACCNetwork

Pages : [1] 2

Reilly
11-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Duke has a 73% chance to win the game and get to 5-5, per the espn power ranking index. Duke is the #57 team in the land and Syracuse #80, per the same source.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=150&year=2019

budwom
11-11-2019, 12:34 PM
I think it is safe to say that the power index does not take into account trajectory. Looking at season long stats it makes sense; given Duke's performance the last month or so, I think it's seriously askew.

Reilly
11-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Syracuse (3-0)

1938 A W 21-0
1939 H W 33-6
2014 A W 27-10

https://s3.amazonaws.com/goduke.com/documents/2019/7/30/2019_Duke_Football_Media_Guide.pdf

Bob Green
11-11-2019, 12:47 PM
I will be in my normal spot in Section 19 cheering for an offensive transformation and victory. This is a must win game.

Early odds in Vegas have Duke a 10.5 points favorite. That’s high in my opinion.

budwom
11-11-2019, 12:52 PM
I will be in my normal spot in Section 19 cheering for an offensive transformation and victory. This is a must win game.

Early odds in Vegas have Duke a 10.5 points favorite. That’s high in my opinion.

very high. Meanwhile I find myself having to set the alarm Saturday for 3:05 a.m. again for Saturday (sure wish I knew game times when I booked my flights, but that ain't possible these days)...I'd like to think we'll be competitive at least.

Reilly
11-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Duke

+35 @VT
+32 NCAT
+23 @MTSU
+18 GT
------------------------
-03 Pitt
-03 @UNC
-31 ND
-34 @UVa
-39 (N)Bama

Duke: 0-3 and outscored 106-38 in last three games

Syracuse

+38 Holy Cross
+24 @Liberty
+19 WesternMich
-----------------------
-06 @NCSU
-07 Pitt
-18 @FSU
-31 BC
-35 Clemson
-43 @Maryland

Syracuse: 0-3 and outscored 120-64 in last three games

SRS: Duke is #53 and Syracuse is #95 and Duke is about 7 points better on neutral field or 10 accounting for 3-point home field advantage -- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019-ratings.html

VegasInsider: Duke 10.5 point favorite https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

Bob Green
11-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Stats rankings (Conference Games Only) for comparison:

Scoring Offense: Duke 8/14 (29.4 ppg); Syracuse 13/14 (16 ppg)
Scoring Defense: Duke 6/14 (26.8 ppg); Syracuse 12/14 (35.4 ppg)

Glancing through all the categories, Syracuse is ranked higher than Duke in Passing Offense with Duke higher in everything else.

Reilly
11-11-2019, 01:30 PM
We're 4-5.

We could finish the regular season:

7-5
6-6
5-7
4-8

And overall, then, presumably

8-5
7-6
6-7
5-7
5-8
4-8

8-5 and 7-6 would be good outcomes, meaning we won 4 in a row to end the year (8-5) or if it is 7-6, we went 3-0 down stretch and lost bowl or went 2-1 down stretch and won bowl.

6-7 I could live with: win 2/3 down stretch to go bowling, but then lose bowl.

5-8 (going 1-2 down stretch; pity bowl invite that we lose) would be yuck. Think I'd rather have the 5-7 no bowl scenario rather than the 5-8 pity bowl lose scenario.

4-8 would be very yuck.

Beat Syracuse, beat WFU, and take it from there ....

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Over / under on attendance?

Cuse will probably bring 12-15 fans......and NOT 12-15K.

budwom
11-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Cuse will probably bring 12-15 fans...and NOT 12-15K.

I think I know one of them, so they only have to gather up another dozen or so.
If the preliminary forecast holds, it's going to be another FROSTY affair...High of 49 is now the forecast, and when the sun goes down, the temp will plummet...most people were very under dressed for the ND game, many left early.
We'll probably get an actual (not announced) crowd in the 18k range or so...

SavDukeGrad
11-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Cuse will probably bring 12-15 fans...and NOT 12-15K.

I have to say, I was surprised at the large number of Syracuse fans at the ACC tournament in Charlotte last March. And I’m not talking about the boosters they brought with them, sitting together in their section. I’m talking about many fans dispersed throughout the arena, which led me to believe they must have been primarily locals who had scalped tickets.

I know Syracuse is a large school with a large alumni base. But are there that many in N.C.? That is a different question, of course, than how many will turn out to support their football team.

jimsumner
11-11-2019, 01:58 PM
I think I know one of them, so they only have to gather up another dozen or so.
If the preliminary forecast holds, it's going to be another FROSTY affair...High of 49 is now the forecast, and when the sun goes down, the temp will plummet...most people were very under dressed for the ND game, many left early.
We'll probably get an actual (not announced) crowd in the 18k range or so...

But those 15 Syracuse fans should be fine.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2019, 02:21 PM
I know Syracuse is a large school with a large alumni base. .

Actually it's not. Private school. Under 15K enrolled. Big Apple college fans gravitate towards pulling for "The Cuse" - but that doesn't translate to FB.

budwom
11-11-2019, 02:21 PM
But those 15 Syracuse fans should be fine.

I guess that's true, though on frosty days they're sitting inside the Carrier Dome wearing shorts and sweat shirts, so I suspect many of them are out of practice.
Key factor, missed by many (including at the ND game) is that a coat that keeps you warm when you're walking around doing stuff is NOT a coat that will keep you warm while you sit still for 3.5 hours.
I brought my level II Prince Harry in the Arctic coat to the ND game, and by the end of the half, I felt a need to walk around a bit.

Bob Green
11-11-2019, 02:34 PM
I was adequately dressed Saturday night but still left at end of 3rd quarter due to disgust. I’ll be adequately dressed* this coming Saturday and I plan to stay to the end.

* long johns, cargo pants, wool socks, t shirt, sweat shirt, overcoat, gloves, wool cap.

SavDukeGrad
11-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Actually it's not. Private school. Under 15K enrolled. Big Apple college fans gravitate towards pulling for "The Cuse" - but that doesn't translate to FB.

Really? Because I googled before I posted, and it said in 2017 total enrollment was 22,484 (which included grad and law schools) I knew it was private. But that seems pretty big to me.

Heck, maybe my perspective is off - after all, I went to the largest school of anyone in my immediate family! (With a spouse and one child who went to Wake Forest, and another child who went to W&L, they all feel Duke is big!)

budwom
11-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Really? Because I googled before I posted, and it said in 2017 total enrollment was 22,484 (which included grad and law schools) I knew it was private. But that seems pretty big to me.

Heck, maybe my perspective is off - after all, I went to the largest school of anyone in my immediate family! (With a spouse and one child who went to Wake Forest, and another child who went to W&L, they all feel Duke is big!)

Undergrad enrollment is about 15k, all the other stuff gets you up to 22k.

by the way, Duke's profile has changed over the years..I remember long ago when Duke had about 6k undergrads, 3-4k graduate students...today it's at 7k undergrad, 9k grad students, total of 16k. Getting bigger.

Acymetric
11-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Grad students are generally* not as enthusiastic about school sports though (or tend to gravitate towards their undergrad team).

*With the caveat that there are several notable grad student fans on this board, or course

hallcity
11-11-2019, 03:34 PM
I guess that's true, though on frosty days they're sitting inside the Carrier Dome wearing shorts and sweat shirts, so I suspect many of them are out of practice.
Key factor, missed by many (including at the ND game) is that a coat that keeps you warm when you're walking around doing stuff is NOT a coat that will keep you warm while you sit still for 3.5 hours.
I brought my level II Prince Harry in the Arctic coat to the ND game, and by the end of the half, I felt a need to walk around a bit.

Try hot hands. Used it for the first time for ND. Worked ok for hands and great for feet

Reilly
11-11-2019, 04:22 PM
... today it's at 7k undergrad, 9k grad students, total of 16k. Getting bigger.

Saw recently there are 156K Duke alumni (presumably living) and that more graduate degrees are awarded every spring than undergraduate ones, so the grad alum base is growing faster.

hallcity
11-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Saw recently there are 156K Duke alumni (presumably living) and that more graduate degrees are awarded every spring than undergraduate ones, so the grad alum base is growing faster.

Duke ought to allot more Cameron tickets to the graduate and professional students. The undergrads aren’t showing up all that well for anything other than UNC.

Bob Green
11-12-2019, 03:51 PM
Game Notes:

https://goduke.com/news/2019/11/12/football-game-notes-syracuse.aspx

Bob Green
11-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Jim’s Tuesday article is posted on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/platform/amp/2019/11/12/20961191/cutcliffe-on-syracuse-duke-football-acc-coastal?utm_campaign=dukebasketballreport&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Lots of comments on accountability, execution, trust...other than the Wohlabaugh news no injury updates. I’m certain Kraeling is out (based on what I saw Saturday night) and I am concerned about Josh Blackwell.

luvdahops
11-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Excluding games against recent FBS addition Liberty and FCS Holy Cross, Cuse has given up an average of 39 ppg. So if we can't get our offense going this week, we surely won't for the rest of this season.

budwom
11-12-2019, 05:10 PM
High temp of 46 now is the forecast for Saturday, so for the hundreds who show up, wear your woollies...gonna be nippy when the sun departs...

HereBeforeCoachK
11-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Excluding games against recent FBS addition Liberty and FCS Holy Cross, Cuse has given up an average of 39 ppg. So if we can't get our offense going this week, we surely won't for the rest of this season.

Duke O versus Syracuse D.....probably the two worst units in the conference right now. The very resistible force versus the movable object......

Reilly
11-13-2019, 08:03 PM
Cut's Tuesday press conference is up on GoDuke.com: https://goduke.com/sports/football (I had not seen it last night when I looked -- usually up same day).

He's unshaven -- first time I recall seeing that in many years of watching his press conferences. Hope that's a sign of spending every available minute getting things back on track. He seems very focused.

OldPhiKap
11-13-2019, 08:14 PM
Cut's Tuesday press conference is up on GoDuke.com: https://goduke.com/sports/football (I had not seen it last night when I looked -- usually up same day).

He's unshaven -- first time I recall seeing that in many years of watching his press conferences. Hope that's a sign of spending every available minute getting things back on track. He seems very focused.

He’s probably worried about the hot seat and retirement threads on DBR, and hasn’t slept in a week. Poor fella.

du_bb1
11-13-2019, 09:35 PM
High temp of 46 now is the forecast for Saturday, so for the hundreds who show up, wear your woollies...gonna be nippy when the sun departs...

And wind = double woollies

sagegrouse
11-13-2019, 10:43 PM

Long johns -- close to the skin -- less bulky.

uh_no
11-13-2019, 11:31 PM
Duke ought to allot more Cameron tickets to the graduate and professional students. The undergrads aren’t showing up all that well for anything other than UNC.

Having been a ugrad, grad, and now usher, there are a few factors that affect the appearance of fullness.

the undergrad allotment is max 1200-1600. the grad allotment is about half that, with I think ~800 season ticket cards sold, and maybe a hundred more able to squeeze in.

The grad student sections have extremely wide steps, as opposed to the narrow steps in section 17. This makes gives far more range to make the grad section appear full. On the most crowded days, 18 and 20 are standing 2 deep on each step, with barely a place to stand (and no chance to see much if you're short and behind someone taller on the same step). On less crowded days, it's quite roomy with the ability to move around and get out as necessary. In either case, it appears "full" despite the 2x+ difference in attendance. 17, for the ugrads, on the other hand, only ever has exactly 1 student per row, and thus the appearance of fullness scales far closer to the number of people who show up.

Another factor is the opportunity. Duke has gone whole hog in on 1 and 2 year revenue grad programs (and I don't mean that derogatorially...I have one for god sakes). This means that a significant amount of the grad student population has a very small time frame to see games. This, coupled with the higher overall population trying to see games increases the demand. If you're only there for 1 year, of course you'll go to see duke beat down cupcake U. In many cases, you are part of a ticket pool whereby you only can see so many games a year, so you'll take what you can get. This helps keep grad attendance more consistent throughout the year.

A third factor is enthusiasm. The ugrads, overall, are more enthusiastic and wild than the grads. This is no necessarily true on any individual basis, but on the whole. The ugrad are younger, often well lubricated and less able to handle the lubrication, and have no attachements to other universities where they may have done their ugrad. So as the season ticks on, the ugrad section slowly becomes better and better.

So what's my point? There are a lot of factors that go into the apparent and actual fullness of the sections allotted to the classes of students. Looking back on it now, I to some degree question why I made it a point to get to every game I could as a ugrad (though I suppose at the time, I had no way of knowing I'd still be around 10 years later going to games). I think, yes, it's possible that some grad students could fill out section 17, but I also think that the grad student sections are not so full as to turn people away who would otherwise come for these cupcakes, and thus giving the grads MORE seats would be meaningless...in which case, selling 17 to the general public is a reasonable solution.

I'll do some snooping on friday to see if I can get some more anecdotal data, especially on grad student demand, as I know the ugrad demand for these type of games....and it's not high. They only allotted 400 or so for the last exhibition, and not even that many showed up. I can't blame them, though, given the upstairs was empty as well....perhaps the least attended game I've seen, even including some of the snow games the past couple years.

budwom
11-14-2019, 09:01 AM

yessir, basic wind of 14 mph (that's pretty brisk), gusts to 25 mph, high during the day of 43, probably high 30s in the first half....

jv001
11-14-2019, 10:24 AM
yessir, basic wind of 14 mph (that's pretty brisk), gusts to 25 mph, high during the day of 43, probably high 30s in the first half...

Now that would be a tough task on the golf course. The win would play havoc with a slice off the tee. :cool:

GoDuke!

chrishoke
11-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Saturday unis. https://www.facebook.com/DukeFOOTBALL/videos/508557926537609/
White (with script Duke) helmet, black top, white pants and shoes.

arnie
11-14-2019, 12:28 PM
yessir, basic wind of 14 mph (that's pretty brisk), gusts to 25 mph, high during the day of 43, probably high 30s in the first half...

The wind will impact our high powered passing attack. Might be best to stay with bubble screens all day.

devildeac
11-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Saturday unis. https://www.facebook.com/DukeFOOTBALL/videos/508557926537609/
White (with script Duke) helmet, black top, white pants and shoes.

WTH? No gray? :rolleyes:

budwom
11-14-2019, 01:08 PM
The wind will impact our high powered passing attack. Might be best to stay with bubble screens all day.

ha, yes, that had occurred to me...

devildeac
11-14-2019, 01:17 PM

ha, yes, that had occurred to me...

Maybe we got some more reps in on that RB jump pass, too...

:rolleyes::mad:

OldPhiKap
11-14-2019, 01:42 PM

Maybe we got some more reps in on that RB jump pass, too...

:rolleyes::mad:

Are y'all trying to make Bob Green stroke out?

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2019, 02:40 PM
Since it's gonna be chilly, we're doing chili. And stew.
As always, any game goers are welcome to swing by and join us at tailgate on Blue Devil Alley.

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5977

chrishoke
11-14-2019, 03:38 PM
The weather report for Saturday is worsening.
From WRAL:
"We are watching a coastal area of low pressure that is forming and which will likely keep us embedded in cloud cover and rain throughout the day. Plus since the low is growing and high pressure is sitting to our north today, a tight pressure gradient will develop between the two producing strong, gusty winds. Winds will be sustained from the northeast at 15-25 mph with gusts from 30-40 mph into the evening."

Devilwin
11-14-2019, 04:02 PM
I am seeing partly sunny and 46. 20% chance of rain.

jimsumner
11-14-2019, 04:17 PM

I believe that less than optimal forecast is getting worse.

Bob Green
11-14-2019, 04:22 PM

The Weather Channel:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Durham+NC?canonicalCityId=63d89211f7bcfd0da57abeac 727a32c0f62cb675513c8c4da3432fa06c0a8581

“Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers. High 41F. Chance of rain 40%.”

budwom
11-14-2019, 04:34 PM
yeah, last look at the Weather Service had most of higher winds east of the I-95 corridor...but they're still expecting 15 mph steady wind and 30 mph gusts (up from 25 mph this morning) in Durham, high of 42, which will surely plummet
after what's left of the sun goes down....

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Back home in New Bern, we'll be enjoying 50mph wind gusts and cold rain all day. I'll be very happy to be in Durham.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Back home in New Bern, we'll be enjoying 50mph wind gusts and cold rain all day. I'll be very happy to be in Durham.

....we'll not be staying at our Beaufort house.....we'll be in the Raleigh one. Coastal weather NAASTY this weekend,

Devilwin
11-14-2019, 07:45 PM
News 2 out of GBO Windy.Gusts over 30.Partly sunny, low rain chance. High 45.

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2019, 10:40 PM
Cloudy, windy and colder with periods of rain staying likely. Highs in the upper 30s-lower 40s. Since we are getting a better idea of what to expect on Saturday we have adjusted our highs lower and added a better chance for rain across the region. We are watching a coastal area of low pressure that is forming and which will likely keep us embedded in cloud cover and rain throughout the day. Plus since the low is growing and high pressure is sitting to our north today, a tight pressure gradient will develop between the two producing strong, gusty winds. Winds will be sustained from the northeast at 15-25 mph with gusts from 30-40 mph into the evening.

That's the current forecast from WRAL.

budwom
11-15-2019, 08:31 AM

I think you're looking at the wrong region....for west of I-95 they're still saying (including WRAL) 20-30 mph gusts which is surely bad enough...weather service says the same...with the big system off the coast, the further East you go the worse it will be...https://www.wral.com/weather/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-15-2019, 09:23 AM

Poor poor Ocracoke Island is forecasted for 25 foot waves, 65mph wind. Ugh.

They were predicted to allow tourists back on the island next week finally.

On topic: Go Duke!

HereBeforeCoachK
11-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Poor poor Ocracoke Island is forecasted for 25 foot waves, 65mph wind. Ugh.

They were predicted to allow tourists back on the island next week finally.

On topic: Go Duke!

OMG I didn't know the forecast was that bad for Ocracoke.....SHEESH. Are those waves forecast off the Atlantic side, or Pamlico side?

-jk
11-15-2019, 10:43 AM
OMG I didn't know the forecast was that bad for Ocracoke....SHEESH. Are those waves forecast off the Atlantic side, or Pamlico side?

C'mon. Atlantic side...

-jk

Reilly
11-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Only see two players on the Syracuse roster from North Carolina: https://cuse.com/sports/football/roster

Here's to an uninspired effort in the cold wind by the Orange in the face of a determined Blue Devil team steaming toward a bowl.

budwom
11-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Only see two players on the Syracuse roster from North Carolina: https://cuse.com/sports/football/roster

Here's to an uninspired effort in the cold wind by the Orange in the face of a determined Blue Devil team steaming toward a bowl.

What do you think our chances are for a bowl if we win Saturday? I can't possibly fathom how we beat Wake or Miami at this point, but I suppose stranger things have happend.

Reilly
11-15-2019, 12:03 PM
What do you think our chances are for a bowl if we win Saturday? I can't possibly fathom how we beat Wake or Miami at this point, but I suppose stranger things have happend.

Well, if you're giving us a win tomorrow, we'll be 5-5. So then just one more win. Espn right now gives us a 62.9% chance of losing to WFU and 60.7% chance of losing to the U, so chance of losing both = 38% meaning 62% chance we get to 6.

And if we beat beat Syracuse and are just 1 away, I see that 62% chance going up to 70%.

richardjackson199
11-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Yep we have a chance. But Syracuse is a must win. It's a bummer that the poor weather will lead to poor attendance that may exceed even that of the Wake game last year. I never like to see injuries, but Wake Forest lost their best player - Surratt had some leading wide receiver numbers in the ACC I think and he is done for season with shoulder injury. And we may get them after a humiliating loss at Clemson. I'm sure Duke would love to avenge what Wake did to us last year on our home field. They're good, but you never know. And it's not like we don't owe Miami a heart-breaking loss either. If we beat Syracuse, I still like our chances to get to 6.

Budwom I was planning on being at the Syracuse game this weekend and would pay you back the beer I OWE you. I was going to be there bundled up in a Duke blue ski-suit cheering like crazy. But sadly, a close co-worker in our office died this week unexpectedly. So I'll be at his funeral this Saturday at 4 pm, and we had to cancel our trip to Durham. If you go to the Wake Forest game (at Wake Forest next weekend of course) then I expect to be there. If not, I'm sure I'll make it to a basketball game this fall. Devildeac will tell you, when I owe beer or consult fees, I'm good for it!

Go Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
11-15-2019, 02:21 PM

I think you're looking at the wrong region...for west of I-95 they're still saying (including WRAL) 20-30 mph gusts which is surely bad enough...weather service says the same...with the big system off the coast, the further East you go the worse it will be...https://www.wral.com/weather/

LOL...you linked to the same page that I pulled the quote from. There is no "region".

Devilwin
11-15-2019, 03:36 PM
I have to say, I was surprised at the large number of Syracuse fans at the ACC tournament in Charlotte last March. And I’m not talking about the boosters they brought with them, sitting together in their section. I’m talking about many fans dispersed throughout the arena, which led me to believe they must have been primarily locals who had scalped tickets.

I know Syracuse is a large school with a large alumni base. But are there that many in N.C.? That is a different question, of course, than how many will turn out to support their football team.

All these Yankees gotta be coming from somewhere.:p

Going Duke 27-24.

budwom
11-15-2019, 03:41 PM
LOL...you linked to the same page that I pulled the quote from. There is no "region".

LOL in return, if you actually read the Saturday forecast, there is no mention of 30-40 mph winds, only 25-30 for Saturday. Higher winds expected closer to the coast.

budwom
11-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Well, if you're giving us a win tomorrow, we'll be 5-5. So then just one more win. Espn right now gives us a 62.9% chance of losing to WFU and 60.7% chance of losing to the U, so chance of losing both = 38% meaning 62% chance we get to 6.

And if we beat beat Syracuse and are just 1 away, I see that 62% chance going up to 70%.

I would submit, however, that all those percentages are based upon season long statistics, and do not capture the severe nosedive our offense has taken in the last month. I think it would be more realistic to say that we have about a 20% chance vs Wake, maybe 14% vs Miami...we simply can't score points.

chrishoke
11-15-2019, 03:52 PM
We interrupt this weather report for a nice Steve Wiseman article on the remarkable recovery from injury of Will Taylor who will replace our starting center who was injured last week.
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article237388884.html

CameronBornAndBred
11-15-2019, 04:06 PM
LOL in return, if you actually read the Saturday forecast, there is no mention of 30-40 mph winds, only 25-30 for Saturday. Higher winds expected closer to the coast.

You do know they constantly update that, right? So what I quoted yesterday is not the same as will be written at any period of time.

SavDukeGrad
11-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Are there any updates on Kraeling or Blackwell? Or any other of our walking wounded (besides Wohlabaugh, whom we know is out).

devildeac
11-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Are there any updates on Kraeling or Blackwell? Or any other of our walking wounded (besides Wohlabaugh, whom we know is out).

richardjackson199
11-15-2019, 04:35 PM
I wanted to propose a pie/baked goods bet and take Duke on principle this time, but 10 points? That seems crazy. Smart money here seems like Syracuse +10. But Vegas knows what that looks like to a Joe Q like me. Vegas must know something.

Hopefully this means Duke is due for a blowout win. I'm not touching this one with even a pastry bet.

Just win Duke.

Indoor66
11-15-2019, 04:49 PM

That is not nearly as good a story.

Reilly
11-16-2019, 01:34 AM
Fight, fight Blue Devils ...

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 07:31 AM
Preview from Syracuse site with focus on a revamped defense (they fired their D Coordinator two weeks ago):

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2019/11/revamped-syracuse-football-d-wants-to-play-fast-and-physical-at-duke-10-things.html

Reilly
11-16-2019, 10:39 AM
Preview from Syracuse site with focus on a revamped defense (they fired their D Coordinator two weeks ago):

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2019/11/revamped-syracuse-football-d-wants-to-play-fast-and-physical-at-duke-10-things.html

Thanks for the link to the Syracuse local newspaper. Very good preview. I've found they do a good job -- one of the more reliable at explaining all the ins and outs of bowl selection. Worried about our loss at C. Sounds like their D will try to get after Q w/ renewed vigor. Hopefully he can find running lanes or get the ball out to our RBs on toss sweeps, options from the pitch, or quick passes.

Looking forward to watching most of the game -- mirabile dictu, I believe I've found a way to access the ACC Network.

chrishoke
11-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Game Day Devils. Let's go! Looks like we may not have rain after all.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Can the offense score points? That is the big question for today.

After scoring 30+ points, in five consecutive games, Duke has not scored more than 17 points in three straight losses.

Successfully passing the ball will be required. No turnovers.

My confidence in the defense remains high. The offense has to step up.

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Any injury updates? Kraeling? Blackwell?

budwom
11-16-2019, 11:40 AM
Any injury updates? Kraeling? Blackwell?

holdeth not thy breath as ye seek injury updates, Cut doth not provide.
Having said that, I think you can count out Kraeling based upon the manner of his exit from the ND game.

jimsumner
11-16-2019, 12:57 PM
holdeth not thy breath as ye seek injury updates, Cut doth not provide.
Having said that, I think you can count out Kraeling based upon the manner of his exit from the ND game.

College football coaches are notoriously paranoid. Loose lips, ships and all that.

Until a few years ago the ACC released injury reports on Thursday. The coaches voted to eliminate them. My understanding is that Cut and Paul Johnson were the two coaches who voted to keep the injury report.

So, don't blame Cut. If he had his druthers, he would be providing these. But he feels like giving out injury information while the opposition keeps that same information secret puts Duke at a competitive disadvantage.

peteandpete
11-16-2019, 01:52 PM
Just a reminder, in hopes the boys will play angry & the coaches will coach angry, we should be first in the Coastal (4-1), ahead of the Hoos even with the bad loss to them. What a wasted opportunity.

budwom
11-16-2019, 02:03 PM
College football coaches are notoriously paranoid. Loose lips, ships and all that.

Until a few years ago the ACC released injury reports on Thursday. The coaches voted to eliminate them. My understanding is that Cut and Paul Johnson were the two coaches who voted to keep the injury report.

So, don't blame Cut. If he had his druthers, he would be providing these. But he feels like giving out injury information while the opposition keeps that same information secret puts Duke at a competitive disadvantage.

yeah, by and large they became a joke anyway, misleading or outright wrong in many cases...Duke's and everyone else's all suffered from the same strain of paranoia...

peloton
11-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Can the offense score points? That is the big question for today.

After scoring 30+ points, in five consecutive games, Duke has not scored more than 17 points in three straight losses.

Successfully passing the ball will be required. No turnovers.

My confidence in the defense remains high. The offense has to step up.

Indeed; it seems more often than not that as Duke football fans, we're continually grumbling that the offense needs to step up and contribute more as the defense is doing their share and more. As the saying goes, it is what it is - although if the situation doesn't change next season or so, something needs to be done.

However, I'm a true blue Duke fan and nothing will ever change that. Let's right the ship today (apropos for you, Bob), play some sound football (especially on offense), and get a win against Syracuse. Let's go Blue Devils!

Looking forward to watching most of the game -- mirabile dictu, I believe I've found a way to access the ACC Network.

Fortunately as it turns out I will be able to watch much of the game today myself also...although not in person due to a brother-in-law's birthday get together. Prior to an hour or so ago, I couldn't get the ACCN. We've been a longtime TWC customer (sucker? :o) and today I called them and expressed interest in getting the ACCN. I believe it's been discussed on the forum but the rep said I'd need to switch from being a legacy TWC customer to being a Spectrum customer to receive ACCN (she mentioned that my monthly bill might be less also). Sure enough, after a couple of mins or so she reported back that I'm now a Spectrum customer, have access to ACCN, and my monthly bill will be cheaper (a decent amount). Yes, I'm still paying too much for cable but at least I can now watch all the Duke football & basketball games exclusive to the ACCN, and I'm paying less per month than before. I don't know who was more desperate here - TWC/Spectrum trying to keep a customer (happy) with all the other options available these days, or this ACC fan who's trying to watch as many football/basketball games as possible!

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 03:29 PM
Weather is shaping up to be much better than expected...5-10 degrees warmer and minimal or no rain.

75Crazie
11-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Oh wow, judging from that first view on TV, the crowd appears to be abysmal even by Duke standards.

fuse
11-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Shawn Krest wins the internet today:

A fun new twist at Duke today. Instead of just doing a “guess the attendance” contest at Wallace Wade, you also have to identify them by name

My sides hurt 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Off to an inauspicious start...

The crowd isn't surprising given that even as recently as this morning the forecast was pretty dismal.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Off to an inauspicious start...

The crowd isn't surprising given that even as recently as this morning the forecast was pretty dismal.

I stayed home because of the weather.

accfanfrom1970
11-16-2019, 04:18 PM

Me too...I went home after last nights b-ball game.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 04:21 PM

Me too...I went home after last nights b-ball game.

Cowards :p

WakeDevil
11-16-2019, 04:21 PM
I see the playcalling has not changed.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately, Quentin Harris is not an option QB. He doesn’t make the right reads. That ball had to be pitched to Durant.

BlueDevil16
11-16-2019, 04:23 PM
The option not to take a transfer QB this year doesn’t seem like the right decision. Or at least start a young QB vs QH. He just doesn’t have it.

peteandpete
11-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Finding it hard to calm down enough to type.....what were we hoping to accomplish with the last two third down calls? I'll wait until later to ask the defensive questions.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 04:30 PM
This has last year's Wake game written all over it. Hopefully we wake up.

dukelifer
11-16-2019, 04:31 PM
The D is struggling today. Not a good omen

fuse
11-16-2019, 04:34 PM
Its early yet- has the team just given up on the season?
Could this end up being the worst team of the Cut era?

I give full credit to a tough season schedule, kinda puzzled as the defense has been better than I anticipated, no one knew what to think about the WR corps before the season and they have been a pleasant surprise, Harris is a decent quarterback and we started the season with great options at RB.

Gotta be frustrating to be on the coaching staff when you could do better and for whatever reason, things don’t gel.

Here’s looking forward to Duke beating Syracuse 35-14 🔵😈

TinkandGman
11-16-2019, 04:34 PM
Is Carl Franks guest coaching today?

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 04:39 PM

Record wise or stats wise I don't think so (we have 2 3 win seasons and 2 4 win seasons under Cut) but this has probably been the least fun team to follow/watch that I can recall. Even in the prior sub-500 seasons we generally had some entertaining/memorable football going on with Thad and some of the other guys.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Can't see who's down (a lineman) but they're bringing the stretcher out...hope he's ok.

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 04:42 PM
Wake Forest game from last year...Look familiar?

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-16-2019, 04:42 PM

Fair weather fan?

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 04:43 PM
Can't see who's down (a lineman) but they're bringing the stretcher out...hope he's ok.

It is Casey Holman.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 04:44 PM
It is Casey Hoilman.

Thank you Bob. Any word on what kind of injury? I'm assuming head/neck by the way they're acting but I missed it live.

jimsumner
11-16-2019, 04:45 PM
It is Casey Holman.

One of the longest injury delays I can remember. Not a good sign for Holman. Moving his arms. I guess that's cause for optimism.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Agreed. Turned on the radio stream in TuneIn for info but the announcers are just rambling on about scores around the country.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-16-2019, 04:51 PM
The game means very little compared to C Holman’s health. What a downer. Go Casey!

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 04:52 PM
Must be neck. They left his helmet on, took face mask off. Glad to hear he’s moving his arms - we couldn’t see that on TV.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 04:53 PM
Big sack on 3rd down to get a stop. Offense must respond and put points on the board.

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 04:58 PM
Gotta block

Avvocato
11-16-2019, 04:58 PM

I give full credit to a tough season schedule, kinda puzzled as the defense has been better than I anticipated, no one knew what to think about the WR corps before the season and they have been a pleasant surprise, Harris is a decent quarterback and we started the season with great options at RB.

Gotta be frustrating to be on the coaching staff when you could do better and for whatever reason, things don’t gel.

Here’s looking forward to Duke beating Syracuse 35-14 🔵😈

I’ve come to think the following:

* The offensive line is just a bigger problem than we think. We have good running backs but have not been able to run consistently. We should be running to set up our pass but can’t. QH has enough ability to win some games if he has a good line and running game to take pressure off of him. He doesn’t, so he can’t.

* I have been critical of the offensive game plans and play calling, but maybe it’s more a function of the offensive line. We can’t run (I don’t care what that stats say), and we can’t give QH time to throw, so everything is short/quick plays. It’s frustrating to watch, but maybe the staff has no faith in calling passes that require more time to develop. Just a guess, but it feels that way now.

* QH was never meant to be the starter this year. It would have either been DJ or Jack Sears. With both gone, it went to QH, which is fine. I think the real unfortunate problem is that when Holmberg went down preseason, he’s the QB they may have tried to groom to start next year and take some lumps this year. You get the sense that Katrenick is not being developed that way. We missed valuable opportunity to develop Holmberg. Assuming we don’t get a Graduate transfer QB next year, our next QB will be very green. He’ll most likely be Holmberg or our 4 star recruit, Luke Diamont. Just a guess naturally.

With that said, still plenty of football left in this game. Hopefully the defense has stabilized and the offense can get something going. We have moved the hall a little today but can’t finish drives. This is a must win against a not so good Syracuse team. Let’s find a way to get this one.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Not exactly a fan of punting from there...but at least we pinned them.

jimsumner
11-16-2019, 05:02 PM
told that Holman's injury is neck, not believed to be career-threatening. Tests to follow.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 05:06 PM
told that Holman's injury is neck, not believed to be career-threatening. Tests to follow.

Thanks, Jim!

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 05:07 PM

Thanks, Jim. So nice to have an insider who can give us an update.

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Good stand by the defense

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 05:12 PM
Great call on third and 3

jwillfan
11-16-2019, 05:14 PM
QH cannot read defenses

I'll add - sorry to be negative but he just pitched out into the incoming blitz

HereBeforeCoachK
I think QH has little ability to recognize the need to change a play, and his throw to Young was terrible...missed TD.

TKG
Sideline reporter just mentioned the spirited play by the Syracuse D being a reflection of a ch age in the DC. Who would have thought?

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Points at last.

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Sideline reporter just mentioned the spirited play by the Syracuse D being a reflection of a ch age in the DC. Who would have thought?

Same thing happened to Wake last year, after Clawson fired their DC mid-season after a poor start.

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 05:18 PM

Maybe a change in the oc

jimsumner
11-16-2019, 05:23 PM

Same thing happened at Wake Forest last season. Changed DCs in midseason and turned season around;

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 05:29 PM
man oh man...4-8 here we come.

jwillfan
11-16-2019, 05:31 PM
2nd penalty on special teams in a row. 1st moved us back out of field goal range. Something's gotta give

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Glad to see Gray come back. Any word on Bracey?

We are still in this, but we need to make some serious halftime adjustments.

AJ Reed - redemption story of the year!

jwillfan
11-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Reed for 51. A real bright spot and great story for the season

YmoBeThere
11-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Does it make sense to get some reps for Katrenick? I know he didn't do much against ND but Quentin is not making a strong case here.

fuse
11-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Major props to Reed. 51 yard field goal is impressive.

paris95
11-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Another half of offensive offense. Somebody give us some hope here, because I just don’t see it among the false starts, drops, bad reads and bad throws, and our continued struggles in the run game.

WakeDevil
11-16-2019, 05:48 PM
I am coming around to the idea that the OL is a major problem. Then I see the QB throw the ball wide on a curl.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 05:49 PM
The offense remains broke but we are still in this game. Defense needs to get off the field on first drive of 2nd half to get the ball back in our offense hands. We cannot give up more points.

jwillfan
11-16-2019, 05:50 PM
Adam Rowe on Twitter: "Syracuse is giving up 30.7 points per game this year, third-most in the ACC.

Duke has 6 points heading in to halftime.

Orange D is giving up 456.7 yards per game, 2nd-most in the ACC.

Duke has 180 yards heading in to halftime"

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 05:50 PM
Quentin Harris looks to me like he has completely lost his confidence. Also, I think Cuse is running some things on defense we didn’t expect - I guess a recent change in DC will do that for you. Hope we can make some needed adjustments at the half.

Good news that our defense has stiffened since those first 2 drives.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 05:53 PM
...and our continued struggles in the run game.

The inability to run the ball is beyond frustrating.

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 05:53 PM
Been saying all year the o line was a problem. Add to that a scatter armed qb, an incompetent oc, and this is what you have got. QH is a great kid and a good athlete,, but a qb he ain't. But we can win this, got to take some shots down the field..This short stuff is not getting it done.

TKG
11-16-2019, 05:55 PM
Adam Rowe on Twitter: "Syracuse is giving up 30.7 points per game this year, third-most in the ACC.

Duke has 6 points heading in to halftime.

Orange D is giving up 456.7 yards per game, 2nd-most in the ACC.

Duke has 180 yards heading in to halftime"

Can this be lost on Cut when he reviews his staff? This is not new.

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 05:57 PM
To be fair to Harris,, he has no time to set..

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 06:01 PM
Hey do I win the weather pool? My prediction was spot on!

TKG
11-16-2019, 06:05 PM
Perfect.

rsvman
11-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Well, that just happened.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 06:07 PM
Well the defense gets the job done and the offense gives up a TD. Frustrating!

barely
11-16-2019, 06:08 PM
Does it make sense to get some reps for Katrenick? I know he didn't do much against ND but Quentin is not making a strong case here.

I am with you on this. Cut must have no confidence at all in Katrenick if he’s not going to play him now, and that makes me think he won’t be in competition in the spring.

Our offense is really hard to watch and looks to be the easiest offense to scout in the conference.

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 06:09 PM
I have seen enough. That short stuff ain't working..:mad:

paris95
Can this be lost on Cut when he reviews his staff? This is not new.

No it can’t, but judging from his post halftime comments, he still thinks this is an execution problem rather than one of strategy. I would say it’s both: our strategy is terrible and we’re compounding that by not executing it well.

Cut’t not gonna fire anyone mid-season, but man, he has to take a look at this offensive staff and make some changes somewhere.

peteandpete
Regression equals hot seat.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 06:11 PM
2 possessions, 2 picks.

TKG
11-16-2019, 06:12 PM
There’s a stat: in our four game losing streak we are averaging 3.5 yards per play (worst in ALL of college football). Today we are averaging 3.4

And another interception.

rsvman
Again?!?

dukelifer
2 possessions, 2 picks.

That is the end of that. Handing them the game

peteandpete
11-16-2019, 06:13 PM

Third and three with an empty backfield....bet we'll throw short. Please give Chris some snaps.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 06:15 PM
No it can’t, but judging from his post halftime comments, he still thinks this is an execution problem rather than one of strategy. .

= river in Eqypt........

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 06:15 PM
2 possessions, 2 picks.

They can sit on our routes, because they know we’re throwing short.

barely
11-16-2019, 06:20 PM
I think QH has little ability to recognize the need to change a play, and his throw to Young was terrible...missed TD.

Yes, that should have been a TD. I don’t understand all the defenders of Harris. As I have said before, I think he’s a great representative of the school, but he really is not a very good QB. While the line is an issue, Harris’s lack of accuracy is a huge problem for the offense. He missed wide-open Bobo by a country mile on that play early in the second half. I that for the team.

TKG
11-16-2019, 06:21 PM
This is unreal. Just pitiful.

moonpie23
11-16-2019, 06:21 PM
this is pretty bad, y'all....

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Getting destroyed by probably the other worst team in the conference. "I broke out my hand warmers for this?"

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Three 2nd half possessions, three turnovers. Pathetic!

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 06:24 PM
Somebody better do something in the off season or somebody may be on the hot seat. The thread about why no one comes to the games? Look on the field. There's your answer..A fine putrid mess..

TKG
11-16-2019, 06:24 PM
So what is that, three offensive possessions and three TOs? Stellar.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 06:25 PM
This is unreal. Just pitiful.

Actually, it's kind of what I predicted. Cuse with a week off, a new defensive coordinator, us favored at home (never a good thing).....I saw 4-8 coming after Pitt and certainly after UNC. While I hope like heck to be wrong wrong wrong....I think history will record the peak of the Coach Cut era as the first 29:50 seconds (or there abouts) of the 2013 Chick Fil-A Bowl. It's like the poor clock management that cost us an almost certain TD that would have put us up 42-17 at half.....kind of was a disturbance in the force. I don't see Duke getting back anywhere close to that anytime soon, if ever.

dukelifer
11-16-2019, 06:26 PM
Somebody better do something in the off season or somebody may be on the hot seat. The thread about why no one comes to the games? Look on the field. There's your answer..A fine putrid mess..

Yes the coach that told the team to commit three turnovers should be fired. Which one was it?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 06:29 PM
Yes the coach that told the team to commit three turnovers should be fired. Which one was it?

...or maybe the staff that prepared the players for this moment...or the staff that has overseen the dramatic regression of QH....who is averaging 4.4 yards per attempt today.....incredibly awful.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 06:29 PM

Which coach is responsible for getting the players prepared and playing quality football?

If your problem for multiple years in a row is player execution, you have a coaching problem not a player problem.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 06:30 PM
...or maybe the staff that prepared the players for this moment...

Must spread sporks yada yada but this exactly.

devildeac
11-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Three 2nd half possessions, three turnovers. Pathetic!

Now this really says something.

:mad:

bedeviled
11-16-2019, 06:31 PM
"I broke out my hand warmers for this?"You're in the stands? I see you on tv! Are you the fan on the right or the left? :D:rolleyes:

Hartford Dukie
11-16-2019, 06:33 PM
The question is is there going to be any accountability/changes in view of these terrible offensive performances/strategy/execution? And I don't mean for a second replacing Cut - what is he going to do.

devildeac
11-16-2019, 06:33 PM
Old joke:

Reporter: "What do you think about offensive execution in this game?

Duke fan (with paper bag covering head): "I'm all in favor of it."

Pathetic display. Did Roof and/or Franks help them prepare/call this game for them?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 06:35 PM
Old joke:

Pathetic display. Did Roof and/or Franks help them prepare/call this game for them?

Allegedly Tampa Bay coach John McKay was asked that by a reporter post game...and he said that. Not sure if it's true or not...it's urban legend, and very McKay like.

loran16
11-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Old joke:

Basically it seems like the offense got by on teams being unfamiliar with how to handle Q early on. But once they got enough film, they were able to ignore Q's weaknesses (throwing downfield), put pressure on Q with rushers, and handle the rush/short pass, sort of like how against Duke BBall the last year and a half teams would just collapse the D and dare Duke to shoot. Q isn't good enough at his strengths - contrary to say Zion in basketball - if teams focus entirely on stopping them, and the rest of the team isn't good enough to really amplify those strengths much.

They should switch QBs to see what Katrenick can do honestly at this point, since its not like Q is coming back.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 06:38 PM
Basically it seems like the offense got by on teams being unfamiliar with how to handle Q early on. But once they got enough film, they were able to ignore Q's weaknesses (throwing downfield), .

Uh, throwing downfield is the best thing he does for the most part. And no, I've not watched a single play in the second half, so I don't know if his turnovers this period were downfield or not, but going back to last season when he subbed for Jones...those were his best throws.

paris95
11-16-2019, 06:41 PM

Ding, ding, first mention the day! Cutcliffe has worked miracles for Duke and deserves a statue or the Cutcliffe Family Pavilion or something like that. He’s been a wonderful representative for Duke and an exceptional leader of young men. He has built this program from a complete laughingstock to one of general respectability, with some notable exceptions like today. For all of that, I am eternally a huge fan. Have I said how much I love the guy enough for the but that you know is coming?

But dammit, this can’t be acceptable. He will say after the game, the execution is on him. Damn right, head coach owns the bottom line, and our bottom-line is miserable right now. It’s taken me a long time to get here, and I don’t think he needs to go at all, but there has to be a serious, “what are you doing to fix this” conversation in the off-season. This team has talent, and with a QB next year, we will have a chance to be much better, but not with this level of execution. Cutcliffe has told us to expect more, he’s told us we can compete for championships. I don’t think we can do that year in and year out, and there are some years where just making a bowl game is the best we can do, but we can do better than this with this team. That’s what is frustrating. This team is capable of being more than this.

Yes the players have to execute but if your strategy is so predictable that teams know what you are going to do before you do it, and your team comes out flat and not ready to play, how is that not on the coach?

Again he shouldn’t be fired. Saying he should is kinda crazy, but saying he deserves a lifetime pass without even an iota of pressure is just as crazy. Cut has taught us to expect more, and shown us that we can be more.

Beautiful day in Los Angeles, so I’m heading to heading to the driving range.

dukelifer
11-16-2019, 06:44 PM
Which coach is responsible for getting the players prepared and playing quality football?

If your problem for multiple years in a row is player execution, you have a coaching problem not a player problem.

Fine- which Duke head coach are you longing for?

arnie
11-16-2019, 06:45 PM
Feel real sorry for VaTech. They’d love to play this Duke team now.

If the coaching staff and team aren’t completely embarrassed, don’t think there’s much hope for the team or fans; and next season we should be picked for last in Coastal.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Fine- which Duke head coach are you longing for?

There are plenty of lower level coaches responsible for day to day coaching/preparation, let's start there.

That said, while I am hugely appreciative of Cut, the great seasons he had earlier this decade, and the changes he has brought, unlike some others I do not believe he is the only coach capable of winning at Duke. There are plenty of talented coordinators and head coaches at lower levels of football who would take a P5 job and could coach us up to this level of play.

I don't want Cut gone, but the idea that there is nobody else out there is flat BS. Loser's mentality.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Again he shouldn’t be fired. Saying he should is kinda crazy, but saying he deserves a lifetime pass without even an iota of pressure is just as crazy. Cut has taught us to expect more, and shown us that we can be more.

Beautiful day in Los Angeles, so I’m heading to heading to the driving range.

Perfect.....the statement and the weather in LA....

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 07:00 PM
I don't want Cut gone, but the idea that there is nobody else out there is flat BS. Loser's mentality.

Multiple assistant coaches need to be fired immediately! Tomorrow!

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 07:02 PM
Stolen stat from TDD: 3-13 in the last 16 ACC home games. Please, everyone who complains about fans not showing up chew on that stat for a while.

jgehtland
11-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Stolen stat from TDD: 3-13 in the last 16 ACC home games. Please, everyone who complains about fans not showing up chew on that stat for a while.

I was going to go with “dead last in NCAA in yards per play over last 5 games”.

Chicago 1995
11-16-2019, 07:07 PM
The Cuse came into today as the 110th ranked D in college football.

Giving up 460 yards a game.

Our offense needs serious, serious help. Change.

jafarr1
11-16-2019, 07:09 PM

Agreed.

Unfortunately, Cutcliffe doesn’t usually fire assistants. Even if he is willing to make moves, he will want to limp through the end of the season so those coaches can find new positions first - which will mean we will get our clocks cleaned for two more weeks, and that we will be hamstrung in our searches by waiting to begin them.

Again, that is if Cutcliffe is willing to do anything, which would shock me. He knows there is a large contingent that will support him no matter what, as recent threads on this board have proven, and he is loyal to his coaches and players to a fault.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Announcers raving about all the quarterbacks Coach Cutcliffe has groomed...sorry, in the here and now, Duke has no quarterback.

dukelifer
11-16-2019, 07:12 PM
There are plenty of lower level coaches responsible for day to day coaching/preparation, let's start there.

That said, while I am hugely appreciative of Cut, the great seasons he had earlier this decade, and the changes he has brought, unlike some others I do not believe he is the only coach capable of winning at Duke. There are plenty of talented coordinators and head coaches at lower levels of football who would take a P5 job and could coach us up to this level of play.

Perhaps. I still think that if they hire a hot shot coach, after one good season at Duke he is gone. If Cut was younger and hungrier- he would have left a few years ago. Duke could go the way of UNC and hire a 70 year old with a NC but not sure that is a solution. Look at NC State- they are struggling. Doeren was a hot shot once - is he the blame for the poor season- probably? I don’t know the solution but I do not recall many great football seasons in the last 40+ years watching- one with Spurrier who left and one with Cut. What is the bar you are seeking?

arnie
11-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Totally agree with you. But if he doesn’t do this in the offseason, does Kevin White get involved?

Would hate to see a repeat of the Ole Miss saga, but Cut is paid between $2-3 million a year (I think) and would think AD expects more. We’re not talking about the Alleva years when no one seemed to give a sh**.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Perhaps. I still think that if they hire a hot shot coach, after one good season at Duke he is gone.

Does that mean we would have a good season? Not a terrible deal, and it's true for virtually every school except for a handful of perennial playoff contenders anyway.

If Cut was younger and hungrier- he would have left a few years ago. Duke could go the way of UNC and hire a 70 year old with a NC but not sure that is a solution. Look at NC State- they are struggling. Doeren was a hot shot once - is he the blame for the poor season- probably? I don’t know the solution but I do not recall many great football seasons in the last 40+ years watching- one with Spurrier who left and one with Cut. What is the bar you are seeking?

We were paying bargain bin salaries with bargain bin facilities and getting bargain bin results. That is no longer true. Roofs/Frank's years are 100% irrelevant 11 years later. I don't expect 8+ wins year in and year out but what we've got now has to be below expectations, and the trend right now is down not up.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 07:20 PM
This is two biblically bad home performances in back to back Novembers. That's two of our last six or seven home games.....

devildeac
11-16-2019, 07:21 PM

Why not tonight?

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 07:22 PM
What is the bar you are seeking?

Being competitive. Not being embarrassed.

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 07:22 PM

How much more do we have to see? This is a terrible excuse for a football team. And they just got crushed by Syracuse..There are no gods on that coaching staff. No one is beyond reproach. Cut has to own this. Wake up..

szstark
11-16-2019, 07:26 PM

Why wait?

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Being competitive. Not being embarrassed.

You're being unreasonable, Bob. This is the kind of football season many fan-bases would be thrilled with and we are lucky we get to experience it.

devildeac
11-16-2019, 07:28 PM
You're being unreasonable, Bob. This is the kind of football season many fan-bases would be thrilled with and we are lucky we get to experience it.

I'm so happy my sarcasm meter has been well-tuned for Acy's FB posts today.

;)

tteettimes
11-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Is retirement out of the realm of possibilities?

uh_no
11-16-2019, 07:34 PM
Is retirement out of the realm of possibilities?
good idea for a thread topic!

dukelifer
11-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Does that mean we would have a good season? Not a terrible deal, and it's true for virtually every school except for a handful of perennial playoff contenders anyway.

We were paying bargain bin salaries with bargain bin facilities and getting bargain bin results. That is no longer true. Roofs/Frank's years are 100% irrelevant 11 years later. I don't expect 8+ wins year in and year out but what we've got now has to be below expectations, and the trend right now is down not up.

But it seems as if you thought last two years were not good enough either. I agree this year is bad. QH is a great kid- but not good enough. Duke needs an excellent QB to be competitive. Last couple years Jones made the team better. QH not so much. But I am hearing that Cut has lost it since 2013. I am not buying that. They have been competitive. This year since UNC - a game they could have won- they have played very poorly.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 07:35 PM

;)

Bob is in rare form, I'm trying to egg him on a bit 😉

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 07:38 PM
But it seems as if you thought last two years were not good enough either. I agree this year is bad. QH is a great kid- but not good enough. Duke needs an excellent QB to be competitive. Last couple years Jones made the team better. QH not so much. But I am hearing that Cut has lost it since 2013. I am not buying that. They have been competitive. This year since UNC - a game they could have won- they have played very poorly.

The last two years were acceptable, but a little disappointing given the talent we had at QB. There were also some HUGE low points in those seasons. A win against Temple in December doesn't fix that. Downward trajectory is cause for concern, and that is what we have right now.

uh_no
11-16-2019, 07:40 PM

;)

my sarcasm meter gouged out its eyes at halftime

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 07:40 PM
Downward trajectory is cause for concern, and that is what we have right now.

We fell off the cliff tonight.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-16-2019, 07:41 PM
How many wins does this exact team get with DJ at QB?

Serious question.

bedeviled
11-16-2019, 07:42 PM

Why not tonight?
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/538/731/0fc.gif

dukelifer
11-16-2019, 07:44 PM

This was bad because Cuse is not good and this was at home. A bit like losing to Boston College in basketball- no excuse for that. I am not ready to throw away Cut- but the O is in a major funk and Q is not good enough to right the ship.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 07:46 PM
This was bad because Cuse is not good and this was at home. A bit like losing to Boston College in basketball- no excuse for that. I am not ready to throw away Cut- but the O is in a major funk and Q is not good enough to right the ship.

Far worse than losing to BC in hoops....this was embarrassing...like WF last season.

Acymetric
We will be heavy underdogs the next two games, but if we steal one we will have a decent shot at the elusive 5-8 season.

paris95

I listened to a lot of bad games in the late 90s through mid 2000s on what used to be broadcast.com. This was as bad of a loss as any during the Roof or Franks eras. We just looked so pathetic and inept, and really never showed any indication that we had even a snowballs chance in hell of winning this one.

jv001
11-16-2019, 07:47 PM

Serious question.

At least 2 and maybe one or two more. For one thing, we could throw down the field. Harris is a fine young man but not a D-1 QB. One of the announcers said that the coaching staff doesn't want to give him too much to think about, so they go the short passing game. This supposedly came from one of the Duke coaches. Harris has been in the program for 4 years as a back up QB and he he's not able to read defenses. If so, that's on the coaching staff. Sorry but the offense is the worst in Cut's years here. GoDuke!

SamHouston
This is two biblically bad home performances in back to back Novembers. That's two of our last six or seven home games....

Yes....and quite similar environment. Cold November day, empty stands, wheels falling off against an average opponent. I am watching a team that is currently being out prepared and out coached.

dukelifer

Serious question.

Probably 3. Duke lost to Pitt and UnC by 3- competitive games. They probably win this one with Jones.

Chicago 1995
11-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Before tonight, Syracuse had beaten Holy Cross, Liberty and Western Michigan. BC beat them by 31 two weeks ago.

We scored 6. We made a (foreseeable) mistake not trying to find a QB in the grad transfer market, and we’ve made a (foreseeable) mistake sticking with his OC. Loyalty biting us twice.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 07:49 PM
Before tonight, Syracuse had beaten Holy Cross, Liberty and Western Michigan. BC beat them by 31 two weeks ago.

We scored 6. We made a (foreseeable) mistake not trying to find a QB in the grad transfer market, and we’ve made a (foreseeable) mistake sticking with his OC. Loyalty biting us twice.

I could stand a little loyalty to the long suffering fans.....

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 07:51 PM
With two games remaining, we have new questions to ponder: will the offense score another TD?

It is inexcusable the team does not have a QB which is on Cutcliffe.

TKG
11-16-2019, 07:51 PM
Given his history/loyalty to assistants our OC if going to have to quit because Cut is not going to fire him.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 07:53 PM
Have they already interviewed Cut on the radio broadcast?

tteettimes
11-16-2019, 07:55 PM
Maybe the OC will retire??

uh_no
11-16-2019, 08:00 PM
Given his history/loyalty to assistants our OC if going to have to quit because Cut is not going to fire him.

we had two false starts and a delay of game in the first couple drives. i was apoplectic

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 08:02 PM
A cursory search suggests this was probably among the largest swings against the spread in college football history.

uh_no
11-16-2019, 08:03 PM
A cursory search suggests this was probably among the largest swings against the spread in college football history.

when was the last time we failed to score a td at home?

Avvocato
11-16-2019, 08:04 PM
That was just disgusting to watch. I discussed up thread about the offensive line, but all teams really start with the quarterback. What’s worse is that we don’t apparently have a healthy heir apparent to groom for next year. I’m sure Cut wants to give QH a chance to beat Wake. But if we are down again, there’s no excuse to not play Kattrinick and let him throw. Down 40, let him play. No need to let him only do quarterbacks runs. Find out what you have, even if he’s only a future back up.

Syracuse is horrible and we made them look like Clemson. Such a disappointing effort.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 08:05 PM

Probably more recently than either of us would like to think.

I should add a note about my precious post mentioning that the Wake game last year was worse.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 08:09 PM

To answer your question: September 29, 2017 against Miami.

There may have been a game where we failed to score an OFFENSIVE touchdown since then but got one on defense or special teams but I just skimmed the box scores.

roywhite
11-16-2019, 08:12 PM
On Sept. 27 at Blacksburg:
Duke 45 -- Va Tech 10

On Nov. 16 at home:
Syracuse 49 -- Duke 6

Stunning.

uh_no
11-16-2019, 08:12 PM
To answer your question: September 29, 2017 against Miami.

There may have been a game where we failed to score an OFFENSIVE touchdown since then but got one on defense or special teams but I just skimmed the box scores.

at right. one of the many night games we've completely laid offensive eggs in, right?

YmoBeThere
11-16-2019, 08:16 PM
We made a (foreseeable) mistake not trying to find a QB in the grad transfer market...

Umm, who do you think we would have ended up with? Vandy got one of the better ones available and he has proven that he is not SEC-caliber.

Chicago 1995
11-16-2019, 08:20 PM
Umm, who do you think we would have ended up with? Vandy got one of the better ones available and he has proven that he is not SEC-caliber.

I know the kid from OU that ended up at WVA hasn’t set the world afire, but he was at least sort of interested, if you believe the whispers. I think I hoped, maybe naively, we could coach the right guy up.

The larger issue is that the cupboard is *this* bare for a man known as a QB guru and mentioned nearly every time Peyton Manning shills insurance.

Our OC and playcalling is awful. Maybe that’s why we don’t have a QB

Bluedog
11-16-2019, 08:28 PM

The closest I can find is Texas St (+35) defeating Houston by 17 in 2012, for a swing of 52. This game had a swing of 53.

Princeton did beat Virginia 115-0 in 1890. Pretty sure spreads didn't exist back then....

dudog84
11-16-2019, 08:29 PM
Not sure these excerpts need any more comment:

(Syracuse's) first win against a power-conference team

Syracuse had only one 100-yard rusher in its first nine games

Syracuse -- which allows an FBS-worst five sacks per game -- was sacked only once

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=401112509

Devilwin
11-16-2019, 08:29 PM
Give the staff one more year, and if they do not improve, can them all, and I mean all. For that kind of money we can demand better..:mad:

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 08:30 PM
The closest I can find is Texas St (+35) defeating Houston by 17 in 2012, for a swing of 52. This game had a swing of 53.

The Duke-Wake game last year had a swing of 62.5.

bloodevil
11-16-2019, 08:30 PM
I wish I could laugh
But that joke isn't funny anymore
It's too close to home
And it's too near the bone

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 08:32 PM
Give the staff one more year, and if they do not improve, can them all, and I mean all. For that kind of money we can demand better..:mad:

This is pretty much right. White won't (and maybe shouldn't) force Cut to make moves, but I think he should encourage Cut to take a hard look at the state of the program and the staff with the understanding that whatever changes are or aren't made next year there will be a serious evaluation at the end of it. I think this is both proper and reasonable.

chrishoke
11-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Stephen Wiseman

@stevewisemanNC
·
17m

Cutcliffe provided medical update on injured Duke LT Casey Holman: X-rays are negative for any broken bones. Has movement and feeling in arms and legs. Still needs to have MRI but signs are good.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 08:36 PM
Thanks Chris, that is good news!

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 08:39 PM
Stephen Wiseman

@stevewisemanNC
·
17m

Cutcliffe provided medical update on injured Duke LT Casey Holman: X-rays are negative for any broken bones. Has movement and feeling in arms and legs. Still needs to have MRI but signs are good.

Thanks Chris, that is good news!

Agreed, was legitimately concerned for him when they carted him off.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 08:41 PM
Stats shamelessly stolen (again) from the TDD board:

Duke rank among 130 FBS Teams:

Offense:
Yards per Rush Attempt 99th
Yards per Pass Attempt 127th
Yards per Completion 126th
Yards per Game 114th

Turnovers:
Giveaways per Game 128th
Interceptions Thrown per Game 115th
Fumbles Lost per Game 125th
Turnover Margin per Game 112th

For those talking about how much better we are now than we were under Roof, those numbers look pretty Roof-ian don't they? Maybe even sub-Roofian in some cases.

TKG
11-16-2019, 08:45 PM

For those talking about how much better we are now than we were under Roof, those numbers look pretty Roof-ian don't they? Maybe even sub-Roofian in some cases.

These stats cannot be excused only as a failure to execute. Certainly, the coaching staff bears some responsibility.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 08:48 PM

I"m not sure either Roof or Franks coached two games as awful as the WFU game and tonight's game....inside the span of less than one season's worth of games. Two embarrassing and historic debacles...in the last 11 regular season games. Something has gone very wrong.

uh_no
11-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Stephen Wiseman

@stevewisemanNC
·
17m

thank goodness. I heard a lot in the radio tonight in regards to the incident, and all I'll say is i can't imagine watching your child potentially use his or her limbs for the last time.

CameronBlue
11-16-2019, 09:08 PM
thank goodness. I heard a lot in the radio tonight in regards to the incident, and all I'll say is i can't imagine watching your child potentially use his or her limbs for the last time.

The old-timers here surely remember the case of Marc Buoniconti which flashed through my mind as Holman was being stretchered off the field. Marc, son of Miami Dolphins football great Nick Buoniconti was paralyzed while making a tackle for the Citadel. His brother Nick Jr was playing for Duke at the time and I think left the team as a result. Nick completed his degree and and is involved with his brother's foundation the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 09:12 PM
The old-timers here surely remember the case of Marc Buoniconti which flashed through my mind as Holman was being stretchered off the field. Marc, son of Miami Dolphins football great Nick Buoniconti was paralyzed while making a tackle for the Citadel. His brother Nick Jr was playing for Duke at the time and I think left the team as a result. Nick completed his degree and and is involved with his brother's foundation the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.

That’s exactly who I thought of as well. Marc was treated at Duke Medical Center iirc after the injury.

jafarr1
11-16-2019, 09:35 PM
Holman's injury status is very good news. Unfortunately, it's about the only good news from today.

Cutcliffe's post-game comments telegraphed what many of us suspected: there won't be any kind of changes. He talked about reviewing film and executing better and hard work. Yawn. He talked about accountability, which is an utterly toothless term at this point.

Harris talked about a penalty here, a missed yardage play there, and about not getting the breaks - as if a winless and hapless ACC team hadn't just wiped our home field with us.

Put differently, next week everyone gets the same game plan from Duke. Wake Forest is going to be thrilled to hear that.

budwom
11-16-2019, 09:42 PM

I'm glad you said it this time and not me. The "we were terrible in the Roof/Franks years" argument is both true and irrelevant right now. School support has improved to competitive levels, but the program is clearly on a downward trajectory whether we choose to recognize that or not.

gep
11-16-2019, 10:00 PM
Agreed.

Unfortunately, Cutcliffe doesn’t usually fire assistants. Even if he is willing to make moves, he will want to limp through the end of the season so those coaches can find new positions first - which will mean we will get our clocks cleaned for two more weeks, and that we will be hamstrung in our searches by waiting to begin them.

Again, that is if Cutcliffe is willing to do anything, which would shock me. He knows there is a large contingent that will support him no matter what, as recent threads on this board have proven, and he is loyal to his coaches and players to a fault.

Looking out for his assistants to find new positions is honorable. Like a local sportscaster keeps saying, firing a coach and making him unemployed is not pleasant... or firing anyone and making him/her unemployed is not pleasant...

Totally agree with you. But if he doesn’t do this in the offseason, does Kevin White get involved?

Would hate to see a repeat of the Ole Miss saga, but Cut is paid between $2-3 million a year (I think) and would think AD expects more. We’re not talking about the Alleva years when no one seemed to give a sh**.

This is pretty much right. White won't (and maybe shouldn't) force Cut to make moves, but I think he should encourage Cut to take a hard look at the state of the program and the staff with the understanding that whatever changes are or aren't made next year there will be a serious evaluation at the end of it. I think this is both proper and reasonable.

I unfortunately think that Duke is at that crossroad. I totally respect and appreciate Coach Cut. But something is very wrong. I would think AD White sees this too. I also don't want to see the Ole Miss saga here at Duke, but I don't think it is unreasonable at all from AD White to have a discussion with Coach Cut. I still hope for the best...

budwom
11-16-2019, 10:07 PM
Looking out for his assistants to find new positions is honorable. Like a local sportscaster keeps saying, firing a coach and making him unemployed is not pleasant... or firing anyone and making him/her unemployed is not pleasant...

I unfortunately think that Duke is at that crossroad. I totally respect and appreciate Coach Cut. But something is very wrong. I would think AD White sees this too. I also don't want to see the Ole Miss saga here at Duke, but I don't think it is unreasonable at all from AD White to have a discussion with Coach Cut. I still hope for the best...

It is reasonable (to have that discussion). Cut still has an excellent legacy at Duke, but it would be shame for the legacy to dissipate. I'm quite certain White will leave it up to Cut to do what he wants....

devilirium
11-16-2019, 11:04 PM

He should absolutely take the lead on personnel decisions at this point. The season cannot end soon enough. Wake and Miami will run a train on Duke.

devildeac
11-16-2019, 11:17 PM
Bob is in rare form, I'm trying to egg him on a bit 😉

I've been trying to follow your lead ;).

devildeac
11-16-2019, 11:21 PM
my sarcasm meter gouged out its eyes at halftime

Mine actually waited until the 3 consecutive TO to start the 2nd half as the *ffense put the game completely out of reach. :mad:

devildeac
11-16-2019, 11:22 PM

Acy was correct. Mr. Green is in rare form tonight. Very rare form. :eek:

devildeac
11-16-2019, 11:26 PM
On Sept. 27 at Blacksburg:
Duke 45 -- Va Tech 10

On Nov. 16 at home:
Syracuse 49 -- Duke 6

Stunning.

35-0 second half. Beyond stunning.

devildeac
11-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Stephen Wiseman

@stevewisemanNC
·
17m

Encouraging to read. Thanks for the update!

richardjackson199
11-16-2019, 11:34 PM
Encouraging to read. Thanks for the update!

Thank God. That is the most important outcome of this game by far. What a scary injury, and I'm so thankful he is ok.

richardjackson199
11-17-2019, 12:19 AM
He should absolutely take the lead on personnel decisions at this point. The season cannot end soon enough. Wake and Miami will run a train on Duke.

This bet is only available to the first taker.

For a pie:

https://shop.gtpie.com/

I'll take Duke and the points for whatever the Vegas opening spread is against Wake Forest.

You get Wake Forest Minus the Point Spread.

I'm as disappointed about that Syracuse debacle as everybody else. I owe devil2X an apology - you were right about 5% to make a bowl and I was wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. We are probably not going bowling.

I think Duke tried to come out hard (we didn't), but Syracuse came out more prepared with new energy from their new defensive coach. They took it to us for 60 minutes of game - props to Syracuse. They have had a disaster season, but they were a preseason ranked Top-25 team. They have some talent. We had even less crowd than usual due to the weather forecast. The 3rd quarter turnovers were a disaster. Then human nature took over, with our guys knowing how bad we needed this win and we blew it, leading to the ugly blow-out.

But David Cutcliffe and our players have too much pride to just quit on the season with 2 games to go. I'll bet a pie on that. I still trust in Cut, and I think we do work like crazy this week. And I think these results show up more on the field next time.

Yes our offense has been a disaster, and I don't disagree with any of the posts above. I agree with the posts that our weak offensive line is limiting everything. I just think Duke responds in Winston-Salem. Be warned, I live in the dash, and if you bet me a pie I will be at that game cheering LOUD for Duke. Screw the bowl: Next play - we owe Wake Forest some payback.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-17-2019, 01:26 AM
This bet is only available to the first taker.

For a pie:

https://shop.gtpie.com/

I'll take Duke and the points for whatever the Vegas opening spread is against Wake Forest.

You get Wake Forest Minus the Point Spread.

I'm as disappointed about that Syracuse debacle as everybody else. I owe devil2X an apology - you were right about 5% to make a bowl and I was wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. We are probably not going bowling.

I think Duke tried to come out hard (we didn't), but Syracuse came out more prepared with new energy from their new defensive coach. They took it to us for 60 minutes of game - props to Syracuse. They have had a disaster season, but they were a preseason ranked Top-25 team. They have some talent. We had even less crowd than usual due to the weather forecast. The 3rd quarter turnovers were a disaster. Then human nature took over, with our guys knowing how bad we needed this win and we blew it, leading to the ugly blow-out.

But David Cutcliffe and our players have too much pride to just quit on the season with 2 games to go. I'll bet a pie on that. I still trust in Cut, and I think we do work like crazy this week. And I think these results show up more on the field next time.

Yes our offense has been a disaster, and I don't disagree with any of the posts above. I agree with the posts that our weak offensive line is limiting everything. I just think Duke responds in Winston-Salem. Be warned, I live in the dash, and if you bet me a pie I will be at that game cheering LOUD for Duke. Screw the bowl: Next play - we owe Wake Forest some payback.

Why would I bet against a sure thing?

LET'S GO DUKE!

Bob Green
11-17-2019, 07:19 AM
There is not a lot more to say about this one but I will link Jim Sumner's front page article:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/11/16/20968662/duke-squeezed-by-orange-49-6-acc-football-coastal

Duke’s first four second-half drives ended with an interception, an interception, a lost fumble and a sack on 4th down.

Duke had 279 yards of total offense: 180 1st half/99 2nd half. You can't throw 40 short passes and expect to succeed.

I slept good last night but didn't wake up with an improved outlook on Duke football.