PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs Central Arkansas (11/12/19, 7 pm, ACCN) Pregame & In-Game Thread

Devilwin
11-11-2019, 07:01 AM
MBB 11- 12 7pm ACCN Duke vs Central Arkansas
Don't know much about these guys, but they gave Georgetown a good run.
Did not see the game listed anywhere, but it does say ACCN.

AGDukesky
11-11-2019, 09:05 AM
The biggest difference I see between the loss by 40+ to Baylor and the loss by 11 to Georgetown was 3-point shooting. Against Baylor, C Ark went 4-22 versus 12-36 against Georgetown. I’m guessing we see something in the middle and a win around 25-30 points.

mapei
11-11-2019, 12:21 PM
I attended the Central Arkansas game at Georgetown. Georgetown has the potential to be significantly improved this year, but right now coach Patrick Ewing seems to be playing his new recruits a lot - instead of his starters - and it's hard to read much into their games. This affected the CA game because the Hoyas were much more effective with their starters on the floor. Center Omer Yurtseven (a transfer from NC State whom some here may remember) was dominant while in the game, for example (17 points and 15 rebounds), but only played 19 minutes.

Central Arkansas struck me as quite tall (they have multiple 7-footers) and very good at 3-point shooting. The latter kept them in the game even though the Hoyas maintained a comfortable lead throughout. They also have a 5'11" point guard who was decent but did not play at all in the second half, reportedly due to an injury of some sort. I don't see them giving Duke much trouble as long as the Blue Devils guard the three-point line, something the Hoyas repeatedly failed to do.

subzero02
11-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Side note, the University of Central Arkansas is Scotty* Pippen's Alma mater.

* this is the proper spelling of his first name but the misspelled version of Scottie became so rampant that it stuck.

stedge
11-12-2019, 06:45 AM
bump because this thread ought to be at the top

subzero02
11-12-2019, 11:58 AM
As a west coast resident now, I’m already tired of seeing that Duke games will only be on the ACCN.

I was able to stream the CSU game on YouTube last time and it worked great.

AtlBluRew
11-12-2019, 01:01 PM
I was able to stream the CSU game on YouTube last time and it worked great.

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

Kfanarmy
11-12-2019, 01:50 PM
As a west coast resident now, I’m already tired of seeing that Duke games will only be on the ACCN.

Me to. surprised to see this. Does the ACCN bring in a lot of $ to the conference. It would seem that the top tier teams not being on the big cable sports channels (ESPN, CBS SN, FOXSports, etc...) would cost the conference a lot of money. Just wondering if the conference is getting as much as its is losing.

flyingdutchdevil
11-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Me to. surprised to see this. Does the ACCN bring in a lot of $ to the conference. It would seem that the top tier teams not being on the big cable sports channels (ESPN, CBS SN, FOXSports, etc...) would cost the conference a lot of money. Just wondering if the conference is getting as much as its is losing.

They are getting a lot, including a dedicated network for their conference. And ESPN is spending a ton of money to have these games on ACCN. Also, there are a lot of Duke fans with your mentality who will inevitably opt into the ACCN (not saying you will opt in, but the mentality of 'can't believe these games aren't on a main network and I have pay additionally for this'). And that's ESPN's plan.

pfrduke
11-12-2019, 01:58 PM
This is the first ever game for Duke against Central Arkansas. Since joining Division I for the 2007 season, Central Arkansas has never beaten a major conference opponent and has precisely 1 win (in 2007, vs. Bucknell) over a team that finished the season in the top 100 in Pomeroy.

flyingdutchdevil
11-12-2019, 02:03 PM
This is the first ever game for Duke against Central Arkansas. Since joining Division I for the 2007 season, Central Arkansas has never beaten a major conference opponent and has precisely 1 win (in 2007, vs. Bucknell) over a team that finished the season in the top 100 in Pomeroy.

So you're telling me there's a chance!

COYS
11-12-2019, 06:24 PM
I'm hoping to see our offensive rebounding rates pick up in this game. If we're going to struggle on offense relative to the typical Duke team, I at least hope we're able to improve our offensive rebounding to compensate a little bit. Unlike in previous seasons when one guy (Zion, Marvin, Brian, etc) dominated the offensive glass, I'm hoping for a collective improvement. We have enough athleticism on the wings that our guards should be able to beat the opposition to some boards. This will never be more true than against Central Arkansas, so it's a great place to start seeing some improvement in this area.

-jk
11-12-2019, 06:30 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=ccarc) to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

SavDukeGrad
11-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Looks like the gray unis again. :(

ShaneRyan
11-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Someone last time linked me to a great live box score, apologies for not remembering who, but if anyone knows what I'm talking to and can link me, it would be appreciated.

AGDukesky
11-12-2019, 07:11 PM
Defense still looks great. Offense turning it over too much.

accfanfrom1970
11-12-2019, 07:16 PM
18-5 for those not linked. Tre with his first 3.

AGDukesky
11-12-2019, 07:22 PM
This is beautiful basketball on both ends. Hurt putting on a show.

accfanfrom1970
11-12-2019, 07:24 PM
19-0 run. Hurt can score. I’m not saying he is NBA HOF worthy or anything, but he reminds me of McHale with his kind of gawky awkward efficiency. He looks un athletically athletic.

AGDukesky
11-12-2019, 07:26 PM
AOC is the only one struggling. Everyone else is contributing.

accfanfrom1970
11-12-2019, 07:31 PM
I like Dan Bonner. The anti- Vitale.

accfanfrom1970
11-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Oh crap. Jones down.

sagegrouse
11-12-2019, 07:33 PM
Is it disrespectful to Central Arkansas to wear our practice uniforms for the game?

AGDukesky
11-12-2019, 07:34 PM
He’ll be fine but that would have been a stupid play to get injured seriously on

rsvman
11-12-2019, 07:36 PM
He’ll be fine but that would have been a stupid play to get injured seriously on

Looked like a concussion to me. He may or may not be fine. Only time will tell.

slower
11-12-2019, 07:44 PM
I'm getting a bad feeling about Moore. I hope he doesn't think he's Jayson Tatum. Dude needs to pass the ball more.

dukelifer
11-12-2019, 07:54 PM
I'm getting a bad feeling about Moore. I hope he doesn't think he's Jayson Tatum. Dude needs to pass the ball more.

Kid needs to gain his confidence. He is playing better tonight. No really bad shots.

slower
11-12-2019, 07:56 PM
Kid needs to gain his confidence. He is playing better tonight. No really bad shots.

Just like last game, he doesn't seem to lack confidence. If anything, maybe the opposite.

dukelifer
11-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Just like last game, he doesn't seem to lack confidence. If anything, maybe the opposite.

But K will pull him if he starts shooting corner threes. So far none of those ;)

jgehtland
11-12-2019, 08:02 PM

My feeling on Moore is that they are grooming him for point guard duty, but his handles are way ahead of his court vision. He’s like a guitar player who has to stare at their fretting hand. Doesn’t look up from his dribble or his defender enough. That will come.

ShaneRyan
11-12-2019, 08:04 PM
My feeling on Moore is that they are grooming him for point guard duty, but his handles are way ahead of his court vision. He’s like a guitar player who has to stare at their fretting hand. Doesn’t look up from his dribble or his defender enough. That will come.

I think his one-on-one offense is going to be just fine, but I do think he's a poor decision-maker especially with passing, and I think we've seen enough to know that at this point. I hope I'm wrong, but he strikes me as the kind of player who will be at his worst under the brightest lights.

dukelion
11-12-2019, 08:06 PM

I hear ya but the kid can be such a weapon for us.

He's built like a PF and has a handle to boot.

Starting to really like this team.

killerleft
11-12-2019, 08:12 PM
I think his one-on-one offense is going to be just fine, but I do think he's a poor decision-maker especially with passing, and I think we've seen enough to know that at this point. I hope I'm wrong, but he strikes me as the kind of player who will be at his worst under the brightest lights.

I think he's a very good, athletic freshman basketball player who already seems to be learning how to play at the college level. I'm not even thinking of labeling him other than that right now. At his worst under the brightest lights? C'mon, don't make me laugh.

MChambers
11-12-2019, 08:16 PM

I have exactly the opposite feeling. I see a freshman who is starting to settle in.

You may remember that Tatum wasn't all that great the first month or so of his freshman year.

ratamero
11-12-2019, 08:19 PM
I think Cassius Stanley might be a decent basketball player.

killerleft
11-12-2019, 08:23 PM
I think Cassius Stanley might be a decent basketball player.

His calm demeanor is, well, calming to me.

fuse
11-12-2019, 08:23 PM
If you had Moore as next point guard up, raise your hand.

Maybe not quite Grant Hill point forward-esque (yet?), and still fascinating to watch.

Steven43
11-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Joey!!

Bob Green
11-12-2019, 08:33 PM
My thoughts on Moore are he plays out of control at times moving a half step faster than needed but when he manages to stay under control he is very smooth.

He will improve as the season progresses.

ramdevil
11-12-2019, 08:38 PM
These commercials are fantastic. Highly entertaining.

-ramdevil

dukie’s_daughter
11-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Stuck in a ( very good) concert at intermission. Score, please

Steven43
11-12-2019, 08:46 PM
100-50.

AGDukesky
11-12-2019, 08:47 PM
100-50 under 4:00 timeout

Steven43
11-12-2019, 08:50 PM
My thoughts on Moore are he plays out of control at times moving a half step faster than needed but when he manages to stay under control he is very smooth.

He will improve as the season progresses.

I am quite impressed with Moore at PG. His handle is solid, he is dynamic and athletic, he penetrates at will, and he is continually finding teammates for wide-open shots. I’m kind of shocked at his potential to play the Point.

slower
11-12-2019, 08:56 PM
I am quite impressed with Moore at PG. His handle is solid, he is dynamic and athletic, he penetrates at will, and he is continually finding teammates for wide-open shots. I’m kind of shocked at his potential to play the Point.

Okay, I'm more impressed with Moore when he's running point, and has to think about opportunities for others. Maybe that's the key.