PDA

View Full Version : Plus/Minus

JasonEvans
11-07-2019, 08:40 AM
In the past we had a poster putting up plus/minus stats for individuals and lineups. Anyone know where that data can be found? I strongly suspect that AOC and Stanley each had really strong plus/minus stats in the Kansas game (I know, single game is not very telling and plus/minus can be a fluky stat over small sample sizes).

DavidBenAkiva
11-07-2019, 09:01 AM
In the past we had a poster putting up plus/minus stats for individuals and lineups. Anyone know where that data can be found? I strongly suspect that AOC and Stanley each had really strong plus/minus stats in the Kansas game (I know, single game is not very telling and plus/minus can be a fluky stat over small sample sizes).

I'm not sure about that, but Bart Torvik (http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duke) has a minutes-weighted linear box plus-minus for each player. Scroll to the bottom to see individual player stats.

AOC and Carey led the way against Kansas, followed by Jack White, Tre Jones, and Cassius Stanley. Hurt and Goldwire were kind of a wash while Wendell Moore was way bad in that game.

JasonEvans
11-07-2019, 10:49 AM
AOC and Carey led the way against Kansas, followed by Jack White, Tre Jones, and Cassius Stanley. Hurt and Goldwire were kind of a wash while Wendell Moore was way bad in that game.

Doesn't happen all the time but sometimes eye test = stats

sagegrouse
11-07-2019, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure about that, but Bart Torvik (http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duke) has a minutes-weighted linear box plus-minus for each player. Scroll to the bottom to see individual player stats.

I agree that Wendell Moore wasn't much of a factor in his first game as a Blue Devil. But when it comes to plus/minus stats, I often think that they often measure a player's teammates or his opponents. I mean, there are nine other players on the court during the intervals measured. I know, the guy with the worst plus-minus seems to be singled out, but often it just works out he was on the court when the other team got hot.

COYS
11-07-2019, 12:37 PM

I went back and watched Wendell's first half minutes again. He had a bad game. No doubt about it. But I also think most of his mistakes are fairly easy to clean up. And even though Bart Torvik's +/- wasn't a fan of his defense, I thought he actually played solid defense for the most part on plays in which he was involved. The bad defensive numbers weren't really his fault (which isn't surprising in a small sample). With so many other guys playing good defense and also not turning the ball over, constantly, I'm not surprised Coach K didn't really go back to him for the rest of the game. But I didn't feel as if he was over-matched or anything like that. He just seemed to make some mental mistakes which could easily be attributed to nerves (stepping out of bounds, short-arming a breakaway layup, taking an over-anxious jumper on another breakaway, etc.). On a team with less depth, I think he would have had a chance to make some positive plays later in the game. But with the game tight and Alex, Cassius, and Jack doing some good things on the court, he didn't really get a chance at redemption.