PDA

View Full Version : The Other Game Tonight

moonpie23
11-05-2019, 10:02 AM
I'm going with sparty......

left_hook_lacey
11-05-2019, 10:04 AM
I'm going with sparty...

With every fiber of my being, I hope you're right.

I've mentioned this before, but I recently had a Kentucky grad join our team at work.

I have never in my life met a more delusional fan. I've always heard Kentucky fans were like that, but never really knew a die hard Kentucky fan born and raised there a a graduate of the school.

It's hard to even have a conversation with him about college basketball without it soon devolving into silly grade school behavior from him.

devildeac
11-05-2019, 10:33 AM

I've mentioned this before, but I recently had a Kentucky grad join our team at work.

I have never in my life met a more delusional fan. I've always heard Kentucky fans were like that, but never really knew a die hard Kentucky fan born and raised there a a graduate of the school.

It's hard to even have a conversation with him about college basketball without it soon devolving into silly grade school behavior from him.

Wait, are you talking about UK or the cheats, or...

;)

flyingdutchdevil
11-05-2019, 10:39 AM
I'm going with sparty...

Big fan of Cassius Winston, even if he did murder our Blue Devils in the tournament.

Hope Sparty crushes UK.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Go Izzo, Go Sparty.

kAzE
11-05-2019, 10:57 AM

Being there in person when we totally crushed them last year was a special moment.

Troublemaker
11-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Rooting for MSU since we play them in the ACC - Big 10 Challenge but suspect UK, who should be very motivated after Duke killed them in the Champions Classic last season, wins. Also, Izzo/MSU are sort of notorious for starting slow.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Being there in person when we totally crushed them last year was a special moment.

BD80
11-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Wait, are you talking about UK or the cheats, or...

;)

Silly grade school behavior is well above the cheats ...

left_hook_lacey
11-05-2019, 12:06 PM

That was a special kind of beat down, and I may have brought it up a time or two when he got a little too cranked up.😂 I'm generally quiet and passive in most of the discussions.

Reddevil
11-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Rooting for MSU since we play them in the ACC - Big 10 Challenge but suspect UK, who should be very motivated after Duke killed them in the Champions Classic last season, wins. Also, Izzo/MSU are sort of notorious for starting slow.

My thoughts exactly. I will be pulling for Sparty, but I would put my $ on the cats. Gosh, last season's opener was fun wasn't it?!!

Chicago 1995
11-05-2019, 12:53 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Go Cats!

I can't stand Izzo or the style of "basketball" he embraces.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-05-2019, 12:55 PM

May I suggest a trip to your local urgent care for immediate evaluation? :eek:

Chicago 1995
11-05-2019, 01:07 PM
May I suggest a trip to your local urgent care for immediate evaluation? :eek:

I suspect that whatever it is, it is uncurable. I'm going on 20 years of despising Izzo's ultra physical, often methodical and plodding form of "basketball." If UK beat them as badly as we beat UK last year, it would be just fine with me.

rsvman
11-05-2019, 01:09 PM
I can't really bring myself to root for either of those teams. I hope they go 15 overtimes until somebody just says "Let's go home; it's a tie."

I do root for Kentucky though, when they play "u"NC.

Ranidad
11-05-2019, 01:12 PM
For a hot second I thought you were referring to the opening of ACC play with Louisville-Miami!

Still trying to get my head around a conference matchup on November 5th

left_hook_lacey
11-05-2019, 01:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

elvis14
11-05-2019, 01:36 PM

A friend of mine moved to Ky for a couple of years. He's a Duke fan but he doesn't live here in the state (SC). He calls me on the phone one day and says "I finally understand what you mean when you talk about UNC fans".

SavDukeGrad
11-05-2019, 06:24 PM
I can't really bring myself to root for either of those teams. I hope they go 15 overtimes until somebody just says "Let's go home; it's a tie."

I do root for Kentucky though, when they play "u"NC.

I’m with rsvman. I definitely can’t bring myself to root for Kentucky.

But man, after attending the Elite 8 game last spring, and watching Izzo’s histrionics, him doing his best Buzz impersonation on the court the entire game, and their strategy of manhandling our players and forcing the refs to call it (which of course they didn’t), I certainly can’t pull for them either.

Go overtimes!

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-05-2019, 06:46 PM

But man, after attending the Elite 8 game last spring, and watching Izzo’s histrionics, him doing his best Buzz impersonation on the court the entire game, and their strategy of manhandling our players and forcing the refs to call it (which of course they didn’t), I certainly can’t pull for them either.

Go overtimes!
Or perhaps... Go Meteor! (with a 2230 arrival time so our guys are gone)

SavDukeGrad
11-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Or perhaps... Go Meteor! (with a 2230 arrival time so our guys are gone)

I actually almost said that! Then realized our team may still be in the building, so....

Edit - I see you accounted for that possibility - well done!

TheOldBattleship
11-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Pretty dreadful start for Michigan St. Surprising to see them looking like such a mess. Kentucky's defense has been really impressive, but nobody other than Winston has done much of anything for MSU. Kentucky not looking amazing offensively, either, but Tyrese Maxey is going to be GOOD this year. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the best player on that team going into March.

CoachJ10
11-05-2019, 11:14 PM

Go overtimes!

Thirded. Sparty and their manhandling style of ball gets my goat. Where were these refs and their whistles last March?

TheOldBattleship
11-06-2019, 12:22 AM
Tyrese Maxey is going to be GOOD this year. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the best player on that team going into March.

Update: this was a serious understatement. He's easily the best player on that team right now.

moonpie23
11-06-2019, 11:18 AM
well, i went 0-2 last night.....

devildeac
11-06-2019, 12:19 PM
well, i went 0-2 last night...

Wait, you can't pick MSU and UK to both lose if they're playing each other...

;)

JasonEvans
11-06-2019, 12:20 PM
It is worth noting that the word from KY practices and preseason exhibitions was that Maxey was really struggling. I think we need to wait a little bit to see if he is consistently anywhere close to as good as he was against Michigan State.

I was stunned by the 3s MSU was missing. Not only did they only hit 19% from long range, but they missed a TON of them that were wide wide wide open. Seemed quite uncharacteristic for them. If that MSU team showed up on March 31st in Washington, Zion, Cam, and RJ would be wearing really big rings with a "6" on them today.

AGDukesky
11-06-2019, 12:39 PM
State was terrible in all facets in the first half and I was too bored and tired to watch the second half. Kentucky was better but not particularly good. Of course game #1 was no thing of beauty either. Glad the season has started but this year is a better reminder that November games tell us little about where teams will end up...