PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke AJ Griffin!

DukeFanSince1990
11-04-2019, 09:36 AM
https://247sports.com/Player/AJ-Griffin-46056024/

Top 10 junior AJ Griffin commits to Duke (https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/AJ-Griffin-Duke-Commits-Top-10--137995775/)

Boswell
11-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Outstanding!

nmduke2001
11-04-2019, 09:41 AM
https://247sports.com/Player/AJ-Griffin-46056024/

Top 10 junior AJ Griffin commits to Duke (https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/AJ-Griffin-Duke-Commits-Top-10--137995775/)

He just turned 16 in August. He already looks like a grown man.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Holy schnikees! That’s awesome! Welcome to the Brotherhood, AJ!

Dukehk
11-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Oh Wow!

Welcome to Duke AJ!

From all the reports I have read, this kid is special special special! Potential #1 pick in the draft.

Billy Dat
11-04-2019, 09:51 AM
What a huge signing, especially this early. Here's to his continued health and development.

With he and teammate RJ Davis, it's a bit like a Gerald Henderon/Wayne Ellington scenario in terms of friends and teammates headed to opposite sides of the 15-501 rivalry....although Davis is a senior this year.

Welcome aboard, AJ. I hope to catch you in person this season.

chrishoke
11-04-2019, 09:52 AM
But can he shoot the three?

proelitedota
11-04-2019, 10:02 AM
Hopefully by 2021, he can profit from using his own likeness.

DukeFanSince1990
11-04-2019, 10:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlZrfBL6LJA

Spanish announcers make everything better.

Hartford Dukie
11-04-2019, 10:06 AM
HUGE!! Sets up 2021 to bring in elite talent - at least Patrick Baldwin and Max Christie -- to go with A.J. Great combination with 2020 class and an amazing 21-22 team!

Welcome, A.J.! You have already demonstrated strong leadership by committing now.

Native
11-04-2019, 10:07 AM
What a great start to the week! Welcome AJ!

Dukehk
11-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Oh Wow!

Welcome to Duke AJ!

From all the reports I have read, this kid is special special special! Potential #1 pick in the draft.

proelitedota
11-04-2019, 10:17 AM
A class of Kuminga, Banchero, Baldwin, AJ, and Christie would be the #1 recruiting class of all time. Best part: all 5 can start.

However I suspect that at least one of Roach and Steward will stay so that might turn off one of the guys from committing.

flyingdutchdevil
11-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Awesome! Guess we're moving to 2021 with 6 (six!) 2020 recruits.

Can anyone provide a breakdown of AJ's game? Is he a Winslow/Moore, a Luke Kennard, a Cam Reddish? Please don't say he's the first AJ Griffin...

Son of Jarhead
11-04-2019, 10:27 AM
9:48am...

Oh Wow!

Welcome to Duke AJ!

10:10am...

Oh Wow!

Welcome to Duke AJ!

Oops... :rolleyes: ...I've never accidentally double posted. Well, at least that no one can prove anyway. ;)

:D Welcome to Duke, A J Griffin!! I love it when we get an early start on the NEXT next year's recruiting while we're still reeling in next year's recruits. :cool:

DukeFanSince1990
11-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Can anyone provide a breakdown of AJ's game? Is he a Winslow/Moore, a Luke Kennard, a Cam Reddish? Please don't say he's the first AJ Griffin...

Well he is a Jr. so technically he is the second AJ Griffin.

UrinalCake
11-04-2019, 10:45 AM
As long as we're addressing hackneyed cliches, is there any chance of a reclass?

CDu
11-04-2019, 10:54 AM
As long as we're addressing hackneyed cliches, is there any chance of a reclass?

Seems unlikely given that next year's class is already loaded, and especially loaded at his position.

kAzE
11-04-2019, 10:57 AM

I want to first say that there's very little in terms of scouting on this kid, and It's difficult to project his weaknesses based on the highlight videos currently available. However, based on the information we have, my impression of him is RJ Barrett with a jump shot . . .

I'm aware that sounds fairly ridiculous, but this guy's game doesn't appear to have any weaknesses. He was 6'4" his freshman year, and since then grown 3 inches, but he's still an extremely good ball handler for his size with the passing vision to go with it. He's physically built like RJ or Justise Winslow already with a very solid frame and long arms, he plays hard on defense, and gets a ton of steals and blocks using his instincts and length. He's VERY strong driving to the basket, at least against his age group. He's able to initiate contact going to the rim and finish through it. If he keeps getting stronger, I'm sure he will be able to do the same at the college level. Lastly, he can shoot, both off the catch and off the dribble. He looks like someone you can run your offense through as a primary ball handler, much like RJ.

I'm extremely impressed with what I've seen. I would not be surprised to see Griffin's ranking rise even higher, and I'd be shocked if he does not become a lottery pick in the 2022 NBA draft.

bullettoothtony
11-04-2019, 11:00 AM

This is one of the best articles I've ever read analyzing a high school player's game.

Everyone enjoy.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/10/08/adrian-griffin-jr-deserves-1-pick-consideration/

ChillinDuke
11-04-2019, 11:02 AM
This is outstanding news. Welcome, AJ!!!

Especially after that breakdown from The Stepien that we circulated a few weeks ago: https://www.thestepien.com/2019/10/0...consideration/

This guy has a lot of tools already and could be special with some fairly modest projections in his growth.

- Chillin

flyingdutchdevil
11-04-2019, 12:26 PM
I want to first say that there's very little in terms of scouting on this kid, and It's difficult to project his weaknesses based on the highlight videos currently available. However, based on the information we have, my impression of him is RJ Barrett with a jump shot . . .

I'm aware that sounds fairly ridiculous, but this guy's game doesn't appear to have any weaknesses. He was 6'4" his freshman year, and since then grown 3 inches, but he's still an extremely good ball handler for his size with the passing vision to go with it. He's physically built like RJ or Justise Winslow already with a very solid frame and long arms, he plays hard on defense, and gets a ton of steals and blocks using his instincts and length. He's VERY strong driving to the basket, at least against his age group. He's able to initiate contact going to the rim and finish through it. If he keeps getting stronger, I'm sure he will be able to do the same at the college level. Lastly, he can shoot, both off the catch and off the dribble. He looks like someone you can run your offense through as a primary ball handler, much like RJ.

I'm extremely impressed with what I've seen. I would not be surprised to see Griffin's ranking rise even higher, and I'd be shocked if he does not become a lottery pick in the 2022 NBA draft.

Awesome. Thank kaze and bullettoothtony

DavidBenAkiva
11-04-2019, 12:36 PM
What an awesome way to start the week, and the day before regular season beings. Let's goooooooooooooooooooo!

mattman91
11-04-2019, 12:41 PM
Sweet! Can he shoot?

Troublemaker
11-04-2019, 12:55 PM
But can he shoot the three?

Sweet! Can he shoot?

Yes, scouting reports like his shot. Additionally, as a freshman, he was 80% FT and 46% from three (https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/aj-griffin/5VNjoN56EeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/basketball/stats.htm). As a sophomore, 78% FT and 44% from three (https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/adrian-griffin-jr/1xEIrJT1EeiAyNdjx8XCRA/basketball/stats.htm).

In extremely small samples, he shot well for USA and in EYBL, too.

Welcome to Duke, AJ!

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-04-2019, 01:42 PM
So is this an unexpectedly early commitment from AJ? Or were folks thinking it would come soon and that Duke was the favorite? Seems like a bit of surprise to outsiders like me. I love it. Just curious.

Hartford Dukie
11-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Don't think I've seen this here. Think you'll like it.

https://twitter.com/adriangriffin21/status/1191360522811301889?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1191360522811301889&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Fdu ke%2FBoard%2FDuke-Blue-Devils-Basketball-Message-Board-101614%2F

proelitedota
11-04-2019, 02:24 PM
Yes, scouting reports like his shot. Additionally, as a freshman, he was 80% FT and 46% from three (https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/aj-griffin/5VNjoN56EeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/basketball/stats.htm). As a sophomore, 78% FT and 44% from three (https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/adrian-griffin-jr/1xEIrJT1EeiAyNdjx8XCRA/basketball/stats.htm).

In extremely small samples, he shot well for USA and in EYBL, too.

Welcome to Duke, AJ!

https://i.imgur.com/5irRQLe.gif

CrazyNotCrazie
11-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Great news! He will be an incredible addition to the team. Hopefully he will be making the short trip to see the game tomorrow night.

For those who don't know, his dad was a star at Seton Hall, played in the NBA for a while, and is now a highly regarded NBA assistant, currently with the Raptors (so he recently acquired a nice ring). His Wiki bio says that he helped coach the 2014 FIBA World Cup team, so he probably knows Coach K through that, which I'm sure helped our recruitment of AJ.

JayZee
11-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Heard that the coaching staff compared him to RJ. But what about Len Bias? Still makes me sad to think of Len, but he was so solidly built, good ball skills, athletic, good shot. Something about AJ just reminds me of Len.

proelitedota
11-04-2019, 02:55 PM
He'll likely be our next #1 draft pick candidate since RJ / Zion

BD80
11-04-2019, 04:07 PM
He'll likely be our next #1 draft pick candidate since RJ / Zion

"Since."

I'm glad we'll finally break the dry spell.

kAzE
11-04-2019, 04:28 PM
"Since."

I mean, it'll have been a whole 2 years. That's practically an eternity.

But in all seriousness, I think this kid is incredible, and is worthy of the #1 pick hype. I think the fact that he ended his recruitment this early, before most people had even heard of him, shows that he's all about basketball, and is not the type of kid who seeks attention. All business. I love it.

mr. synellinden
11-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Another one. Another one. That’s all I got to say.

proelitedota
11-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Another one. Another one. That’s all I got to say.

Uhh
I like that, you like that? heh
Here's another one
And another one
And another one
And another one
Uhh, what, what?

BD80
11-04-2019, 04:47 PM
I think we may be over looking an important trend.

We have gone from JJ to RJ to DJ and now AJ is coming.

We have Jack, Javin, Joey, Jordan, Justin and 3J (Tre Jones). We have TWO Jr.s (Wendell and Vernon).

Let's get on board the "J" Train!

CrazyNotCrazie
11-04-2019, 04:54 PM

We have Jack, Javin, Joey, Jordan, Justin and 3J (Tre Jones). We have TWO Jr.s (Wendell and Vernon).

And next year we have Jalen Johnson and Jeremy Roach. If only we had had Dr. J back in the day...

UT Dukie
11-04-2019, 04:54 PM

See, Coach always puts others before himself!

El_Diablo
11-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Oh Wow!

Welcome to Duke AJ!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-04-2019, 05:28 PM
"Since."

You laugh now, but Duke hasn't had a single player drafted in the NBA since the night Zion went #1.

TheOldBattleship
11-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Heard that the coaching staff compared him to RJ. But what about Len Bias? Still makes me sad to think of Len, but he was so solidly built, good ball skills, athletic, good shot. Something about AJ just reminds me of Len.

It's always tough to come up with truly accurately comps for any prospect, much less someone who is still just 16, but I liked the Jaylen Brown comparisons I've seen floating around. Griffin is maybe slightly less explosive but smoother with the ball in his hands and a better shooter than Brown was (or possibly is). Brown catches a lot of flack (especially after he signed his big new contract), but he's a really good player, and given that two of his biggest issues are handle and jumper, that comparison bodes REALLY well for Griffin.

On a non-comparing note, it's exciting to see us out of the gates early here. Fingers crossed for a snowball effect with some other guys in the class!

roywhite
11-04-2019, 09:35 PM
What a huge signing, especially this early. Here's to his continued health and development.

With he and teammate RJ Davis, it's a bit like a Gerald Henderon/Wayne Ellington scenario in terms of friends and teammates headed to opposite sides of the 15-501 rivalry...although Davis is a senior this year.

Welcome aboard, AJ. I hope to catch you in person this season.

Yeah, JD King mentions this also in his piece on Griffin:

As you may remember, his teammate, RJ Davis, has committed to UNC. If he stays past his freshman year, that would be yet another high school Dynamic Duo that went to opposite ends of 15-501, joining the likes of Gerald Henderson/Wayne Ellington and Jim Spanarkel/Mike O’ Koren. Art Heyman and Larry Brown were not high school teammates but were both New Yorkers and close friends they chose opposing schools. We think there were some others but we can't recall them right now.

Another example that comes to mind is of Ambridge, PA HS teammates (state champs in 1967) Dick DeVenzio to Duke and Dennis Wuycik (a year behind) to UNC. Their Ambridge team, which also included big man Frank Kaufman, who went on to Purdue, is considered one of the best in PA basketball history. Dick DeVenzio passed away in 2001.

Here's a nice piece from a local newspaper on the 1967 Ambridge team. http://www.ambridgeconnection.com/local-news/undefeated-1967-ambridge-championship-basketball-team-to-celebrate-50th-anniversary

The National Prep poll named the Ambridge team the No. 1 team in the country after the close of the 1967 season. The team went 27-0 and was led by standout players who went on to play at various colleges after their stint in Beaver County. Wuycik, junior forward, later played at North Carolina and led the Tar Heels to an NIT championship and to an NCAA Final Four appearance. The late Dick DeVenzio, a senior who was Coach Chuck DeVenzio’s son and point guard, led a successful team at Duke and later played internationally. Kaufman, who will be delivering the keynote address, played center for Purdue.

jimsumner
11-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Yeah, JD King mentions this also in his piece on Griffin:

As you may remember, his teammate, RJ Davis, has committed to UNC. If he stays past his freshman year, that would be yet another high school Dynamic Duo that went to opposite ends of 15-501, joining the likes of Gerald Henderson/Wayne Ellington and Jim Spanarkel/Mike O’ Koren. Art Heyman and Larry Brown were not high school teammates but were both New Yorkers and close friends they chose opposing schools. We think there were some others but we can't recall them right now.

Another example that comes to mind is of Ambridge, PA HS teammates (state champs in 1967) Dick DeVenzio to Duke and Dennis Wuycik (a year behind) to UNC. Their Ambridge team, which also included big man Frank Kaufman, who went on to Purdue, is considered one of the best in PA basketball history. Dick DeVenzio passed away in 2001.

Here's a nice piece from a local newspaper on the 1967 Ambridge team. http://www.ambridgeconnection.com/local-news/undefeated-1967-ambridge-championship-basketball-team-to-celebrate-50th-anniversary

The National Prep poll named the Ambridge team the No. 1 team in the country after the close of the 1967 season. The team went 27-0 and was led by standout players who went on to play at various colleges after their stint in Beaver County. Wuycik, junior forward, later played at North Carolina and led the Tar Heels to an NIT championship and to an NCAA Final Four appearance. The late Dick DeVenzio, a senior who was Coach Chuck DeVenzio’s son and point guard, led a successful team at Duke and later played internationally. Kaufman, who will be delivering the keynote address, played center for Purdue.

Jim Spanarkel and Mike O'Koren were prep teammates in Jersey City, with Spanarkel a year ahead of O'Koren.

DevilHorse
11-05-2019, 07:54 AM
I noted that AJ's father played at Seton Hall, and I wondered, "No, not Eddie Griffin.. too young."
No, it was Adrian Griffin.

The athletic family is discussed in this article from 1.5 years ago:
https://davesjoint.net/2018/05/23/the-three-as-the-griffin-family-produces-a-trio-of-division-i-prospects/

and BTW, Welcome A.J. (Adrian Junior).

Larry
DevilHorse

TruBlu
11-05-2019, 08:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlZrfBL6LJA

Spanish announcers make everything better.

Any one else notice the barriers in front of the teams’ benches in that video? That, IMHO, would be a good idea for college games to keep certain coaches off the court during live action. Any coach leaving the fenced-in area during live action gets a technical. Could even have an electronic sensor to set of an alarm, removing any decision making by the refs, whose decision making is frequently questionable.

Welcome to Duke, AJ.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Any one else notice the barriers in front of the teams’ benches in that video? That, IMHO, would be a good idea for college games to keep certain coaches off the court during live action. Any coach leaving the fenced-in area during live action gets a technical. Could even have an electronic sensor to set of an alarm, removing any decision making by the refs, whose decision making is frequently questionable.

Welcome to Duke, AJ.

Great idea but also perhaps have the electronic sensor send a shock through the coach to really get the message across? And add a little comic relief while we're at it?

DallasDevil
11-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Great idea but also perhaps have the electronic sensor send a shock through the coach to really get the message across? And add a little comic relief while we're at it?

What's the over/under on number of times per game Buzz gets buzzed?

roywhite
11-05-2019, 10:29 AM
What's the over/under on number of times per game Buzz gets buzzed?

You'll have to keep an eye on him at TX A&M, DallasDevil. Not sorry to see Buzz leave the ACC. Yeah, his teams were tough to beat, esp. at home, but they played physical defense that seemed to go toward chippy or downright dirty sometimes.

Troublemaker
11-05-2019, 11:22 AM
It's always tough to come up with truly accurately comps for any prospect, much less someone who is still just 16, but I liked the Jaylen Brown comparisons I've seen floating around. Griffin is maybe slightly less explosive but smoother with the ball in his hands and a better shooter than Brown was (or possibly is). Brown catches a lot of flack (especially after he signed his big new contract), but he's a really good player, and given that two of his biggest issues are handle and jumper, that comparison bodes REALLY well for Griffin.

I like the idea of modest comparisons (considering it's not *that* modest since Brown is an overall #3 pick and just extended for 4 years, 115 million), but I think we're talking different player-types here. Griffin projects to have the ball in his hands a lot more (can be a primary creator) and has better shooting touch than the career 66% FT shooter Brown.

BD80
11-05-2019, 11:40 AM

Not sure ol' roy could handle an electric shock …

So I'm all for it!

If calipari got shocked, it would take weeks to rid the venue of the smell …

TheOldBattleship
11-05-2019, 11:46 AM
I like the idea of modest comparisons (considering it's not *that* modest since Brown is an overall #3 pick and just extended for 4 years, 115 million), but I think we're talking different player-types here. Griffin projects to have the ball in his hands a lot more (can be a primary creator) and has better shooting touch than the career 66% FT shooter Brown.

Yeah, definitely more of a physical/defense-based comp; from what I've seen and as you say, Griffin is lot smoother (for better and worse: Brown's herky-jerkyness, so to speak, can be an advantage for him sometimes) with the ball in his hands and a better shooter. He's explosive, but probably not quite on Brown's quick twitch level (though that's probably partly because he's 16!). I really enjoyed seeing his passing in the few highlights I saw. He's got great vision and is willing to move it FAST and decisively.

On an unrelated note, I really like the continuation of the trend of K getting former players kids: it really speaks to the trust that the high-level, long-time basketball guys (even those completely unconnected to Duke otherwise) have in K and the program.

evrim
11-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Kentucky folks still cling to that conspiracy theory by their coach Calipari.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/11/4/20948164/aj-griffin-duke-basketball-recruiting-uk-wildcats-michigan-wolverines-news

"
Speaking of, that Team USA pimpleine continues to run strong for Duke and Coach K, even though he’s no longer the head coach of the men’s national team."

Coach K is so good that even after he has left the Team USA years ago it still helps him! Coach K is amazing!

flyingdutchdevil
11-05-2019, 01:04 PM

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/11/4/20948164/aj-griffin-duke-basketball-recruiting-uk-wildcats-michigan-wolverines-news

"
Speaking of, that Team USA pimpleine continues to run strong for Duke and Coach K, even though he’s no longer the head coach of the men’s national team."

Coach K is so good that even after he has left the Team USA years ago it still helps him! Coach K is amazing!

Conspiracy theory? It's not a conspiracy theory. Many of us here on DBR agree that Team USA has helped Duke recruiting. I actually don't think it's that disputable.

What Calipari argued is that it's not fair.

BD80
11-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Conspiracy theory? It's not a conspiracy theory. Many of us here on DBR agree that Team USA has helped Duke recruiting. I actually don't think it's that disputable.

It is not fair that Team USA selected the best coach for the job?

Or that they asked that coach to continue his voluntary service upon demonstrating that he was clearly the best coach for the job?

I think calipari feels that, ONCE COACH K RIGHTED THE SHIP, MADE IT COOL TO PLAY FOR TEAM USA AGAIN, AND REESTABLISHED TEAM USA AS, BY FAR, THE PREMIER TEAM IN THE WORLD …

That he and maybe some other coaches should have had turns at the wheel as the Team USA ship plowed over hapless teams in its path. Kind of like me letting my young sons sit on my lap and steer the car through the neighborhood …

The conspiracy was allowing Coach K to stay on and solely reap the benefits of his efforts, rather than sharing the benefits with coaches that had not earned them.

mkirsh
11-05-2019, 02:04 PM

"

Guess the UK fans conveniently forget that time when Cal coached the Dominican National team for 2 seasons to recruit KAT

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/4/2/8325877/john-calipari-recruiting-karl-anthony-towns-kentucky-dominican-republic

(by the way this article is extra amazing given what happened a few nights after it was written)

roywhite
11-05-2019, 02:05 PM
It is not fair that Team USA selected the best coach for the job?

Or that they asked that coach to continue his voluntary service upon demonstrating that he was clearly the best coach for the job?

I think calipari feels that, ONCE COACH K RIGHTED THE SHIP, MADE IT COOL TO PLAY FOR TEAM USA AGAIN, AND REESTABLISHED TEAM USA AS, BY FAR, THE PREMIER TEAM IN THE WORLD …

That he and maybe some other coaches should have had turns at the wheel as the Team USA ship plowed over hapless teams in its path. Kind of like me letting my young sons sit on my lap and steer the car through the neighborhood …

The conspiracy was allowing Coach K to stay on and solely reap the benefits of his efforts, rather than sharing the benefits with coaches that had not earned them.

Not to mention, it's not necessarily an easy gig. It's a different form of recruiting players, but Coach K excelled at it. Ask Pop if he thinks the job is a breeze.

robed deity
11-05-2019, 02:40 PM

The idea that it wasn't/isn't fair is completely ridiculous. Asinine, even for UK fans.

sagegrouse
11-05-2019, 02:58 PM
Not to mention, it's not necessarily an easy gig. It's a different form of recruiting players, but Coach K excelled at it. Ask Pop if he thinks the job is a breeze.

It's the subtle advantages: "We'll run plays for your son like we did for Kobe."

BD80
11-13-2019, 10:40 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/with-a-different-approach-than-lavar-ball-adrian-griffin-is-helping-his-kids-reach-their-division-i-goals/

Another great parent for Cameron.

CDu
11-14-2019, 12:00 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/with-a-different-approach-than-lavar-ball-adrian-griffin-is-helping-his-kids-reach-their-division-i-goals/

Another great parent for Cameron.

Wow, I hadn’t put it together that AJ Griffin is Adrian Griffin’s son (the J in AJ is apparently for “Jr”, sort of like the second “J” in JJ Redick). Adrian Griffin was a consummate professional. Hope AJ got those traits but with more skill!

BD80
11-14-2019, 08:28 AM
Wow, I hadn’t put it together that AJ Griffin is Adrian Griffin’s son (the J in AJ is apparently for “Jr”, sort of like the second “J” in JJ Redick). Adrian Griffin was a consummate professional. Hope AJ got those traits but with more skill!

MORE skill than a guy who carved out a 10 year NBA career? OK.

Most schools are happy to get a guy with the skill to make it to the D league.

camion
11-14-2019, 08:53 AM
MORE skill than a guy who carved out a 10 year NBA career? OK.

Most schools are happy to get a guy with the skill to make it to the D league.

It’s been mentioned before. —> We been spoiled.

I personally expect us to recruit a generational talent at least every other year. :)

NSDukeFan
11-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Thanks for everyone posting highlight videos and articles. I really liked Adrian Griffin as a player and am extremely excited to cheer for his son at Duke. Yay!

DevilHorse
11-14-2019, 12:31 PM

See #44 above.

DavidBenAkiva
08-31-2020, 02:11 PM
I came across this video from the winter when Stepanic and AJ Griffin took on Jeremy Roach and Paul VI. The backcourt of Paul VI last season was as good as you could find in the high school ranks. Jeremy Roach ran the show and shared the backcourt with top junior and Duke recruiting target Trevor Keels. The Paul VI squad also featured top sophomore PG prospect Dug McDaniels. Griffin was a man among boys in this game, displaying a tantalizing mix of playmaking on both ends of the court. I think you can get a glimpse at why Griffin is going to be a special player. He can score from all over the court and defend nearly any position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNpby5OldqM

JasonEvans
08-31-2020, 02:39 PM
Oh my!! Some of those blocked shots were scary! He swallowed the ball on shots from legit high-major prospects.. including several by a future teammate(?)s ;)

DukieInBrasil
08-31-2020, 03:19 PM
It’s been mentioned before. —> We been spoiled.

I personally expect us to recruit a generational talent at least every other year. :)

weak. I expect two per year. :cool: :cool: :cool:

jaywilliams22
08-31-2020, 03:40 PM
I came across this video from the winter when Stepanic and AJ Griffin took on Jeremy Roach and Paul VI. The backcourt of Paul VI last season was as good as you could find in the high school ranks. Jeremy Roach ran the show and shared the backcourt with top junior and Duke recruiting target Trevor Keels. The Paul VI squad also featured top sophomore PG prospect Dug McDaniels. Griffin was a man among boys in this game, displaying a tantalizing mix of playmaking on both ends of the court. I think you can get a glimpse at why Griffin is going to be a special player. He can score from all over the court and defend nearly any position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNpby5OldqM

I've said it for awhile now - I think he'll be the #1 pick in 2022 (dependent on if Emoni Bates reclassifies)

MarkD83
08-31-2020, 04:43 PM
weak. I expect two per year. :cool: :cool: :cool:

So in order to bring the controversial topics away from the "off-topic" board and over here.....

Have we become like Kentucky fans and the best thing about basketball is recruiting and the number of top draft picks on the team?

(This might be a sure way to lose all of my sporks :) )

DavidBenAkiva
08-31-2020, 05:29 PM
So in order to bring the controversial topics away from the "off-topic" board and over here...

Have we become like Kentucky fans and the best thing about basketball is recruiting and the number of top draft picks on the team?

In a word, no, Duke has not become like Kentucky. This upcoming season, Kentucky will have 1 player on its roster that played any significant minutes on its team last year. Everyone else left, some knowing they won't get drafted. The guys that left Duke this past season either graduated or are expecting to have their name called whenever there is a draft.

This upcoming season, Duke will feature two players that were 5-star recruits and McDonald's All-Americans in Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore. The year before that, we had Tre Jones. The year before that, we had Marques Bolden. The year before that, we had Grayson Allen. Not everyone has to leave Duke after a year or even two at Duke. Stay as long as you want or need.

In the entire time John Calipari has been coaching in Lexington, he's had exactly 1 5-star McD All-American stay all four year: Alex Poythress. Over that same time, Duke has had 7 by my count: Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee, Marshall Plumlee, Quin Cook, Amile Jefferson, Matt Jones, and Grayson Allen. All of those guys got an NBA contract with the exception of Matt Jones.

Players want to get to the NBA. That's the highest level of basketball in the world. Both Duke and Kentucky do a great job of getting their guys to the NBA. But Duke has just about the best track record of getting its guys to the NBA when they are ready to go.

Bottom line, recruiting is the lifeblood of college basketball. And Duke does it better than anyone.

MarkD83
08-31-2020, 06:44 PM
In a word, no, Duke has not become like Kentucky. This upcoming season, Kentucky will have 1 player on its roster that played any significant minutes on its team last year. Everyone else left, some knowing they won't get drafted. The guys that left Duke this past season either graduated or are expecting to have their name called whenever there is a draft.

This upcoming season, Duke will feature two players that were 5-star recruits and McDonald's All-Americans in Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore. The year before that, we had Tre Jones. The year before that, we had Marques Bolden. The year before that, we had Grayson Allen. Not everyone has to leave Duke after a year or even two at Duke. Stay as long as you want or need.

In the entire time John Calipari has been coaching in Lexington, he's had exactly 1 5-star McD All-American stay all four year: Alex Poythress. Over that same time, Duke has had 7 by my count: Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee, Marshall Plumlee, Quin Cook, Amile Jefferson, Matt Jones, and Grayson Allen. All of those guys got an NBA contract with the exception of Matt Jones.

Players want to get to the NBA. That's the highest level of basketball in the world. Both Duke and Kentucky do a great job of getting their guys to the NBA. But Duke has just about the best track record of getting its guys to the NBA when they are ready to go.

Bottom line, recruiting is the lifeblood of college basketball. And Duke does it better than anyone.

But lets keep the logic going and disprove the null hypothesis......

Since 2015-16 the following players were one and done : Ingram, Jackson, Tatum, Giles, Duval, Trent Jr., Bagley, Carter, Reddish, Williamson, Barrett, Stanley, Carey Jr.

We were very excited on this board by the number of great players and potential pros on the various rosters. It takes talent to win championships (I agree with your statement).

However, were we more excited about the potential of the teams ....or about the actual game results...
Were we more excited about how high the players were drafted...or disappointed when they left...

I am excited by who will be on the future Duke rosters...but more disappointed that we have not won an ACC regular season or been to a Final 4 since 2015.

I am not really interested in the NBA draft other than it is good to see Duke players fulfill their dreams...but more disappointed to think what last year's team would have looked like with the last 12 players on the roster and Tre Jones. (I know that positions and playing time would prevent this from happening but wow!!!)

DavidBenAkiva
08-31-2020, 06:55 PM
The goal for Duke each and every year is to win it all. A lot of teams aspire to that level of consistent success but have to suffer bad years in between the fleeting windows of opportunity. For Duke, a couple of missed shots and the program might have been to 2 Final Fours in both 2018 and 2019. In 2017, the team won the ACC Tournament and took 2 out of 3 from the National Championship team that year. A flat performance in the second round in an effective road game prevented that team from making a run at the Final Four. And then in 2016, the injury to Amile Jefferson effectively lowered the ceiling on accomplishing much more than a well-earned Sweet 16.

With better health and maybe a little bit of luck, Duke is right there each and every year. How many programs can boast 3 Sweet 16s, 2 Elite 8 appearances, and two conference tournament titles? I can think of a handful of teams that have better success over the same time period, but it is not a very long list. Fact of the matter is that Duke has been insanely successful. I love that the fans want even more and so do I, but let's keep a little perspective.

Kedsy
08-31-2020, 09:48 PM
So in order to bring the controversial topics away from the "off-topic" board and over here....

Until they're actually able to play basketball games, what else do we have?

MarkD83
09-01-2020, 07:29 AM
Until they're actually able to play basketball games, what else do we have?

You and DavidBenAkiva are correct on this...just trying to keep some discussion going about basketball...

So what else do we have to discuss about basketball...probably different threads but this is about the time of year we discuss 1) scrimmages or 2) schedules...any information at all about the individual work outs or who Duke might play (other than ACC opponents)?